Donately

Online fundraising for nonprofits, businesses & individuals

4,1
4,5
Jennifer V.
Industry: Music
Company size: Self Employed

A really useful tool with a great team of people running it

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/03/09

Pros

As a small business owner and somebody who just wants to make a difference and teach her students to do so as well this is perfect for us. The folks that donate to our program never have a problem using the software and whenever we've run into trouble someone from the team always responds and fixes the issue. I'm hoping to grow with this software and this organization.

Cons

I wish there was another option besides using striped when it comes to accepting the donations. I don't understand why it is that it should cost so much especially since this is all about charity giving back to your community. That being said the format of the software is very good as I said before and the customer service makes up for what I think is pretty hefty when it comes to how much money is taken from our organization being able to help people. Another thing I would really like is it there would be a way to make an app for Android and iPhones. It would be so much simpler for us to promote and use. But again I guess that probably will come with time.

Response from Donately

Hi, Jennifer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Donately! We are glad that our platform is meeting your needs and helping you make an impact.

In regards to payment methods, please do note that we also offer PayPal as an option. We understand that keeping costs low is a vital component of fundraising, which is why we're committed to providing our platform at an affordable rate for organizations of all sizes.

Cory P.
Industry: Law Practice

Excellent fundraising tool!

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

As we raise money for our campaign, it has been incredibly easy to get fundraisers to sign up. Additionally, attracting donors has been simple, too.

Pros

Donately is easy to set-up, navigate and get support when needed (which, thanks to it's user-friendly interface, is very rare).

Cons

The monthly fees are high for our organization but the fee upon completion of a campaign is one of the lowest.

Response from Donately

Hi, Cory.

Thank you for leaving this review! We're happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with our platform and our team.

We understand that keeping costs low are the utmost priority for all organizations. We're committed to providing one of the best values in the online fundraising space, and giving nonprofits of all sizes a scalable option for their needs.

Nipuna R.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

NGOs' True Friend

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

It is really helpful service to NGOs and Start-ups. The features and support from staff, leads me to recommend this to worldwide users.

Pros

We can create forms to accept donations and can customize the form accordingly. It is able to share the campaign easily to reach more people. There is no monthly fee or other hidden fees, just only a processing fee charging per donation which is really helpful.

Cons

Need more support to Asian Countries. Not getting any notification when recurring donation stops. Need features to customize the donation page more.

Response from Donately

Thank you for your honest feedback and suggestions, Nipuna!

Ingrid K.
Company size: Self Employed

Useful free option for receiving donations

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Overall, Donately has been a great tool for our tiny nonprofit that doesn't have enough donations yet to justify paying a monthly fee. The free version covers all the basics. It's not a full donor database, but it gets the job done.

Pros

Donately was pretty easy to set up, and gave us a nice looking page. I was looking for an option that didn't force a donor to tip the platform, but did give the donor the choice to cover fees. I also needed to be able to enter donations that came in from other sources, which I can do on Donately. The recurring donor feature was also great. They haven't spammed us a ton with emails like some of the other free options.

Cons

There's no way to delete a donor. The system has no option to email me when we get a donation, so I have to go check for donations. (We can get Stripe transaction emails but they go to a different account.) I can't change the admin user email address or add users on the free version.
I would like to be able to ask for mailing addresses, but my only choice is to require it or not ask for it at all.

Response from Donately

Hi, Ingrid.

Thank you so much for your honest feedback of Donately! We're glad you've found our platform fits your needs and has helped your organization raise more money online.

We'll take your suggestions for improvement into account as we continue to improve Donately for all users.

Jason K.

Perfect for small NGOs

Reviewed on 2016/10/31

We've been using Donate.ly for several years now. The 2 major things I like about it are:
1. You pay per donation processing fees, which are reasonable. There is no monthly fee. This makes it possible for small NGOs to accept online donations without it costing us an arm and a leg up front.
2. You can easily embed the donation form into your own website. This allows you to keep the brand of your organization and legitimizes your group because you don't send folks to PayPal or Network for Good or some other third party processor.

Other than that the service is ok. I think they are updating some of their online donation tracking tools, automating some email responses, and such, but it isn't the most advanced in those features if that's what you're looking for. For instance, there is no way to automate a message to donors if their donation doesn't go through and they need to update their credit card. The donation email confirmation options are also pretty limited but we've managed to make the confirmation email look ok and work for our purposes.

We use Zapier to help us track donations into Google Spreadsheets. We don't use the Fundraising pages really, but those are options and they do have peer to peer functionality.

Ultimately, the service is perfect for us. It accepts donations on our website and doesn't have a monthly fee. And the customer service is amazing. I've worked personally with them a few times and they are always so personable and helpful, available via chat right through their site. Definitely recommend.

Pros

Price and ability to embed on my site.

Cons

Limited donation tracking and donor outreach tools.

Jenny B.

We recommend Donately

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

We use Donately for our donation form on our website and for fundraising campaigns. We have always found it the product very easy to use and functional, and the customer service fantastic.

Pros

The customer service is very fast, helpful, and friendly. The basic product is easy to use and has a lot of options that are useful for us. As a small non-profit organization, I appreciate the number of options that we do have using the basic service.

Cons

I do wish we had more options for developing the look and feel of campaign landing pages.

Response from Donately

Thank you for your kind words and honest feedback, Jenny! We're working hard to improve all aspects of the platform, and will take your suggestions into account.

Joe W.
Industry: Education Management

Donately Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

I have enjoyed using the software and each time I have asked for help, I have received the response promptly.

Pros

Being able to see the recurring donations and the dates dates of effectiveness

Cons

The fact that there is no app for the phone.

Response from Donately

Joe - Thank you for the kind words! We appreciate the feedback. While all of our assets are fully mobile responsive, we do understand the benefit of a dedicated app. For now, we hope that our mobile-friendly dashboard, donation pages, and donation forms make for a great experience regardless of device.

Brianna d. R.
Industry: Higher Education

Small nonprofits may benefit big!

Reviewed on 2019/03/31

Pros

Coming from the nonprofit industry, I am no stranger to fundraising software. I've used Donately in a program assistant capacity. A cool thing is that you don't pay monthly. You pay per donation, which helps small nonprofits (this could also be a con for some). However, focusing on larger, fewer gifts rather than a bunch of little ones -- the per donation fee wasn't horrible for us. Having this tool made us more legit rather than relying on PayPal or a common third party app.

Cons

Customer service could be improved, but thankfully we didn't have too many issues.

Response from Donately

Thank you for your feedback, Brianna! We're sorry to hear that our customer service fell short of your expectations. Please feel free to email us at [email protected] so that we can make this up to you.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Thomas B.

Pretty satisfied

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

Donately has been pretty good to us so far. I like the simplicity of it. I'd give it four stars in terms of simplicity of use because of the need to be a bit more technically savvy to be able to modify the donation pages and what not. We haven't gotten there yet and the improvements we need to make haven't been done because of the need to get high tech assistance. I think if that process were easier, then the lack of advanced controls would be more easily surmounted. I haven't had issues with customer support, but haven't needed much.

Pros

works well, looks nice, pretty easy to use

Cons

Hard to take to the next level without help.

Wyndy S.

Great experience

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

Donately is an extremely user friendly platform and we are impressed with the UX as well as the customer service provided when needed.

Pros

It's simple to use and has a clean, but versatile presentation that suits our needs. It meshes well with the rest of our site, making the user feel as though they are interfacing with a trusted and safe donation platform.

Beau C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

More expensive than some, but pays itself off than its competition

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2016/10/28

I've done a ton of research for our nonprofit, and I like donate.ly because they do not charge a monthly fee, they hook up to my existing stripe account, and although their fees stack up more than other alternatives, their interface is so incredibly simple and easy I have found that if just ONE more donor is gained BECAUSE of their easy interface It pays for the fees for an entire year!

Also it's incredibly easy to implement on a website. No HTTPS security certificate needed Though highly recommended of course!

Pros

Clean, simple interface. Extremely easy to implement on websites.

Cons

A bit more expensive in fees compared to it's competent

Nicholas M.
Industry: Entertainment

Easy integration, powerful features

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

I've used this as the donations platform for several clients and they all love the ease of use and feature set.

Pros

Integration and powerful feature set.

Cons

Difficulty plugging in API.

Rick G.
Industry: Telecommunications

Overall pretty satisfied!

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pros

The interface is nice and clean. Super easy to use. I love the option for donors to set up a recurring donation!

Cons

It would be nice to be able to pull reports for the year or longer if necessary. Also, it would be nice to get some sort of alert/notification if a donor's recurring payment was not able to be processed.

Response from Donately

Thank you for your feedback, Rick! We will take this into account as we continue to improve the platform.

Vann C.

Donately has been a real plus for our nonprofit!

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

Rwanda Children, the nonprofit I serve, has been using Donately for almost two years. Like all nonprofits, we are always on the lookout for ways to stretch or donor's dollars... and Donately has helped us accomplish that. First and foremost, Donately initiated a reduction in their fees charged to nonprofits. This shows me I'm dealing with good-hearted folks! Secondly, they consistently deliver quality service to us by taking great care of our donors. And when our donors have encountered problems (and these have been few and far between) Donately's customer support has been outsanding. Rwanda Children is benefited by our partnership with Donately, and we look forward to that partnership continuing!

Kaitlin H.

Good For Our Non-Profit

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

I really enjoy using Donately as a way for our supporters to donate directly to our cause. I love being able to see a list of people who have donated. I never have had any supporters complain about difficulty or anything of that nature!

Pros

It is easy

Holly D.

Very Satisfied

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

We are very pleased with the Robly service and are happy with our move from Constant Contact. It is easy to use and we feel as though the value for the money is superb.

Camille M.

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

Donately has been very easy for us to use at Akola! We appreciate how it captures information and messages from the donors.

Cons

Not integrated with salesforce

Ashley B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Recommend for any small nonprofit

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2016/10/28

As a startup nonprofit, Donatello helped us provide an avenue to secure funding easily with easy plugin integration. The small processing fees can't be beat which keeps our administration budget low (which everyone loves). The customer service is quick and personal.

The only negative I've found is the campaign pages are limited in their design ability, which can also be a pro for those with little experience in design and coding.

Pros

Easy to use, analytics, exports data, plugin integration easily with Wordpress

Cons

Campaign pages - the formatting options a minimum.

Phi P.

Good customization

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2016/10/28

Been using Donately as our main platform for about 3 years (on and off). We love the potential with it but it is hard to be fully utilized unless we have someone with tech skills on the team to develop it.

Pros

The simplicity and low costs

Cons

Hard to implement customization without a developer

Ken S.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use and good functionality

Reviewed on 2016/10/30

Donately has been user friendly and has the functionality for the non-profit I volunteer for. It's a great way to keep track of donations received and maintain donor information.

Pros

Ease of use, functionality.

Cons

None

Thomas S.

Very reliable and easy to use product.

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

We were looking for an all encompassing product that both encompassed merchant processing as well as some of the other administrative sides such as tracking donations and sending out donation letters to donors. This was a fairly simple sight to integrate with our website and use on an ongoing basis. Didn't have much use for the customer service since we were able to find out most of the information on our own. Fees were reasonable.

Christine W.

Very Satisfied

Reviewed on 2016/11/02

I went to a website to donate some money to one of my favorite places. I noticed they had switched from Paypal to Donately. I liked that I didn't have to use paypal any longer as I did not agree with their politics. I also liked that using donately on the website was easy and self-explanatory. I will be recommending this service to everyone I know!

Kristin B.

Solid, basic crowdfunding platform

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

My organization uses Donately for both public campaigns and for peer-to-peer fundraising. It is very easy to set up these campaigns and get started. The social sharing function has improved in the last year. Reports are plentiful but exporting requires a fair amount of data manipulation. The front-end UI is clean, crisp, and no frills. I wish there were more capability to change the UI-ie , add video (without just embedding a video in the text area) and to have a full scrolling 'honor roll' of those who gave (currently just the last 5 are shown).

Pros

Ease of set-up

Cons

Lack of flexibility in configuring

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Elizabeth D.

Works well

Reviewed on 2016/10/28

Intuitive and easy to use to use. Viewing donations is simple and there is a good search function that has multiple ways to search. Contacting donors is also great. It took me a little bit to get everything figured out but once I did it all made sense.

Devin L.
Industry: Hospitality

Love Donate.ly!

Reviewed on 2016/11/10

We've had a wonderful experience so far. It was remarkably easy to install Donate.ly on our Wordpress website. We were able to create an account and start accepting donations in minutes! An amazing tool that every non-profit should consider.

Pros

Ease-of-use and user-friendly experience.

Cons

No direct integrations available. All have to be setup through Zapier.