Filevine

Your Complete Legal Tech Stack

Daniel
Daniel
  • Industry: Legal Services

Was exactly the fit we were looking for and seems to constantly be adding new features.

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Pros

The best thing about this product is the fact that it's fully web-based. Gone are the days of needing a beefy back end and/or an SQL server to host the databases. Now all of your data is secure and in the cloud for easy access for attorneys and their staffs.

Cons

The biggest con with this software was the setup. They sold us on a seamless integration, which is never the truth, with a dedicated handler. To put it plainly, our installation was not pretty. Lots of delays and having to really push to have certain items exported from our former client management system and entered into the proper fields within theirs. Was it worth the headache of making the move, absolutely, however it could have been handled much better in my opinion.

EOWYN

SO MUCH BETTER THAN MOST

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

ALTHOUGH THEY ARE VERY NICE, THEY DO NOT NEARLY HAVE ENOUGH STAFF. THEY ESPECIALLY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF. IMPLEMENTATION WAS A STRUGGLE AND I HESITATE TO ASK FOR ANYTHING BECAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS. HOWEVER THE PROGRAM ITSELF HAS BEEN GREAT NOW THAT IT IS IMPLEMENTED (IT TOOK OVER 9 MONTHS FOR US TO GET UP AND RUNNING AND COST A LOT IN ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE AND OVERTIME FOR OUR STAFF).

Pros

CUSTOMIZATION (A BIG ONE), REPORTING, EASE OF TRAINING/LEARNING FOR STAFF, KIND CUSTOMER SERVICE, SYNCING WITH OUTLOOK, DOCUMENT DRAFTING AND ORGANIZATION, STAFF PRODUCTIVITY MONITORING, DOCUMENT MERGING AND EASE OF CREATION OF TEMPLATES (ALTHOUGH MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT FULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN OR YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE THEM OVER AND OVER).

Cons

CERTAIN THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE AND CAN'T BE CHANGED. EX. NO SPOT FOR SUBRO LIENS IN THE DRAFT CLOSING TAB, SORTING OF REMINDERS IS OLDEST TO NEWEST AND YOU CANNOT FILTER FOR OPEN REMINDERS (SO YOU HAVE TO SCROLL FOREVER ON AN OLDER CASE TO GET TO THE OPEN REMINDERS), CAN ONLY ASSIGN ONE COST/TRUST ACCOUNT PER ORGANIZATION FOR SYNCING WITH QB (EVEN THOUGH IRS REQUIRES A SEPARATE ACCOUNT PER CLIENT FOR COSTS AND THE BAR REQUIRES A SEPARATE ACCOUNT PER CLIENT FOR TRUST). DO NOT SWITCH TO QB ONLINE SOLELY TO SYNC WITH FV. NOT WORTH IT AND YOU CANNOT SWITCH BACK. CHOOSE YOUR INTERNAL IMPLEMENTATION PERSON CAREFULLY. NEEDS TO BE SOMEONE THAT IS TECH SAVVY, FAMILIAR WITH YOUR PRACTICE AND HAS THE TIME TO DEDICATE 3 MONTHS MINIMUM TO ONLY THAT. GET THAT PERSON A TEMP ASSISTANT FOR 3 MONTHS. THEY'LL NEED IT. BECAUSE OF THE CUSTOMIZATION, THEY REALLY DO NOT LEAD YOU THROUGH IMPLEMENTATION. YOU DRIVE THAT TRAIN AND YOU ARE THE PROJECT MANAGER. DO NOT RELY ON THEM TO GUIDE YOU.

Case Master Pro

Reasons for Choosing Filevine

CUSTOMIZATION, REPORTING AND EASE OF USE.

Legal Files

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

I WAS OVERRULED. THE CUSTOMIZATION AND TRENDY FORMAT WAS WHAT PUSHED THE PARTNERS TO CHOSE FILEVINE. CASE MASTER IS MUCH BETTER AT THE ACCOUNTING, SYNCING WITH QB, OVERALL ORGANIZATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE, IMPLEMENTATION, PLEADING MERGES (CASESTYLE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FORMAT IN FILEVINE), AND THE ACTIVITY NOTES ARE MORE AUTOMATED (NOTES GET AUTO ENTERED WHEN DATA CHANGES OR DOCS ARE MERGED IN CASE MASTER PRO). IF THESE TWO COMPANIES MERGED, THEY MIGHT BE THE PERFECT LEGAL CASEFILE MANAGEMENT.

Response from Filevine

Hi Eowyn, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry that implementation was a difficult process for your firm. We hope to continue making improvements to our implementation process so that things are smoother in the future, but we're glad to see that you're getting value now that everything is set up.
We read through the issues you reported and spoke with our team. Your Customer Success Manager and our Head of Support said they had a few ideas in mind to could help. Our Director of Solutions Engineering also mentioned they'd be happy to take a look to find ways we can improve the setup or workflow. Let us know if you're interested in hopping on a call.
Thanks again for being an awesome customer. We hope that we can continue to make Filevine even better for your team.

Richard
  • Used for 1+ year

Run - Do Not Walk - From Filevine

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Using Filevine was a waste of a year that I wish I could have back. A complete disaster. Make sure you have a backup of all documents you give them or upload into Filevine.

My experience with Filevine is that they check ethics at the door and will say and do anything for a sale.

They only hold the keys to all of your practice's information and documents, so best of luck with that.

Pros

Literally nothing.

At the end of the day, Filevine was the most expensive version of Dropbox or Box - not a practice management solution - possible, so, if that is of any interest, read on.

Cons

Filevine indicated to me that they were very experienced at migrating data over from the practice management software I had been using. A YEAR AFTER retaining Filevine, it was still NOT done and was a complete disaster. If you ever want to see your documents again, run - do not walk - from Filevine.

A YEAR after retaining Filevine, they still had not done any of the customization that they promised, which was a large part of the inducement to retain them. Unless you are a programmer or merely want the most expensive version of Dropbox or Box possible, run - do not walk - from Filevine.

I am NOT kidding or exaggerating about this last one: I signed up for a year's worth of service and cancelled after the year was up, for the above reasons. They then tried to tell me that I was actually in a 3 year contract! The agent who signed me up apparently CHANGED my agreement when he sent it to me via Docusign, so that he could make a sale. Run - do not walk - from Filevine.

Even despite all that is underway with the coronavirus pandemic, Filevine has the time to constantly badger me to pay for 3 years of service, despite knowing of their intentional misrepresentation and fraud, and despite their knowing that I do not use Filevine at all, given the above.

They even sent someone (a collector) not to my office, but to my home! Who does that?

I have used Clio and Smokeball and have never had these kind of issues. Run - do not walk - from Filevine.

Response from Filevine

Hi Richard, in looking at your experience, we'd love to address a few items. We reached out many times and were unsuccessful in reaching you, and even flew our Director of Implementation to San Diego to help you design your template to fit your needs. The visit was pre-planned and confirmed with you, but we are sorry if it still seemed a surprise. These efforts, along with many trainings and hours of consultation given, were all intended to help you create a workflow that you would be satisfied with. We still wish to uphold our offer to help and can do so at any time. As mentioned, your migration was indeed from a system we've handled many times successfully. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to release the data you were looking for. We're sorry this affected your experience so deeply. Regardless of the source of confusion, we're sorry to hear there was so much dissatisfaction around your experience. We still have open doors ready to assist you.

Jessica

Overall Thus Far...

Reviewed on 2023/11/17

I really enjoyed the training. I'm looking forward to learning more about utilizing FV to its full potential, tips and tricks to help in customizing our firms FV to make it work more conveniently and effectively for our team and our firm.

Pros

FV seems very user friendly and efficient. So many capabilities allowing you to stay w/i FV and ie share folders, send out for electronic signature, PDF edit, combine, etc. All really cool features to be more effective and efficient.

Cons

Surprised that when saving a document into a companion case that is already linked to the primary case that you would have to search each case to also "copy" the document there as well instead of a "copy to all companions" option. Like you can save a "note" across the board to all companions attached.

Mariel

The Best!

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

I lover it!

I lover it!

Pros

I love how friendly usage this program is! Very up to date, very new and fresh! I will recommend it to anyone with my eyes closed.

Cons

I wish we were able to view CDs like MRIs, X-rays and etc.

SmartAdvocate

Reasons for Choosing Filevine

Needles was very old and did not fi the need for our office. And Smart advocate was a more NY based program and you couldn't change it.

SmartAdvocate and Neos

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

It was colorful, not scare to click on things, very friendly, very new!
Jerry

Functional and Reliable

Reviewed on 2021/05/04

The system has been very beneficial for our purposes. We have not fully implemented and utilized the billing and settlement features.

Pros

The Filevine Software was integrated into our law practice with all the modifications we needed. It provides features that allow us to maintain all our client information in one system with designated users. This software even allows us to fax, text and receive messages from clients, providers and others through our mailroom feature. It is truly an innovative expandable package with good technical support for any purpose.

Cons

Integration into our business was an extended process requiring our personal involvement. The least likeable feature thus far is the import of external files from outside the system.

Savannah

Office Manager Review

Reviewed on 2021/09/09

I think Filevine is an amazing product and we are all extremely happy. While there are definitely some features that we would like to see added and integrations that would be helpful, we wouldn't think of switching to anything else.

Pros

Filevine is so user friendly! It is easy to teach to new employees and really does a great job at keeping the staff on track! I love the Taskflow and our ability to customize it to fit our systems.

Cons

I am not a big fan of the Organization of documents. Maybe our firm just needs some training on how to make this work for us, but so far it is not helpful.

Adam
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great software; billing needs help

Reviewed on 2021/04/22

FileVine has been a vital addition to our company and we love it!

FileVine has been a vital addition to our company and we love it!

Pros

The ease of use is by far the nicest aspect of the software. I also like how frequently the product is improved and new features are added.

Cons

As a law firm, the billing, timekeeping, and invoicing could use more flexibility like the rest of the software; i.e. being able to export as an excel spreadsheet or word document; allow for more malleability with tracking dollars and hours and utilizing those factors in reporting; being able to view by hours or by dollars. Etc.

netDocShare

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

We appreciated the affordable cost for our small business as we grow.
Ann

Great case mgmt. software

Reviewed on 2021/03/31

Pros

Filevine has made a huge difference in our law firm, and has helped us tremendously. It's very easy to use. Has amazing features. It comes in handy when you're not close to a computer you could just log on in your phone.

Cons

To be honest I haven't encountered any difficulties throughout the time we have been using this case mgmt. software.

Krista

Filevine - The perfect "virtual" Case File

Reviewed on 2022/09/07

Very satisfied.

Very satisfied.

Pros

So easy to navigate throughout. VERY customizable per legal field. Integrates wonderfully between other legal platforms.

Cons

Updates are often hard to adjust to after we conform our process and procedures around the features of Filevine.

Ginny
  • Industry: Legal Services

BUYER BEWARE - FALSE, MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO GET CUSTOMER TO PAY & SIGN FOR 3 YEARS

Reviewed on 2020/02/26

We had a terrible experience with Filevine. The representatives are outright dishonest and lying to the customer just to make the sale. After countless hours of training we were told their forms software was a link to a California Judicial Council forms website. We were going to use the software for forms and billing. We tried to terminate the contract during the training phase within the first few months because the software is significantly deficient and Filevine had outright misrepresented its capabilities. They refused to terminate the contract initially and then agreed to terminate contract but kept our money.

Pros

Billing software was easy to use. Customer service was good until a conflict arose due to Filevine's major misrepresentations to get us to sign contract based on false statements. Their demeanor changed once contract termination was requested based upon their fraudulent conduct.

Cons

Does not have promised forms software which was one of the primary reasons we signed the contract.

MerusCase

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

We did not choose Filevine after paying $2,600. Filevine refuses to refund the money and pointed our firm to its arbitration clause which was incorporated by reference into the sales contract and actually sits on their website. They have an arbitration clause that forces the buyer into arbitration under Utah Laws in Utah. We were duped by Filevine. Filevine is a dishonest company trying to sign the buyer by any means necessary.

Response from Filevine

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Filevine did not meet your expectations. We do our best to inform our clients and provide them with information to make the best decision for their firm in their purchase. We do wish to reach an amicable solution and continue to stand ready to work through this.

Efrain
  • Industry: Law Practice

A good all around product but needs some more work.

Reviewed on 2021/09/03

Overall it's better than most software I've tested/demo, but pricing is a bit out of tune with smaller firms.

Pros

The customization and ability to control many aspects of the projects from top to bottom.

Cons

There are many hurdles to get from point A to B when the idea isn't implemented into the software. Also, the way you make everything a la cart for services.

PracticePanther Legal Software and Smokeball

Reasons for Choosing Filevine

The product didn't meet our needs. And this one offered the ability to customize it to our needs.

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

It was because of the ability to customize the software, and everything was included. But since that is changing, we are considering leaving now.
Gloria

Best Case Management System

Reviewed on 2021/03/17

I enjoy using Filevine. It has allowed for our office to become really productive.

Pros

What I like the most about this software is the bcc email address associated with each project. I can bcc the filevine project and it will appear in the activity for that project.

Cons

I think I need more involvement in what roles actually do for our firm.

Timothy
  • Industry: Legal Services

Cutting edge document management software

Reviewed on 2021/04/09

It's been much easier to save docs, store docs, and also retrieve files thru the search engine. The activity feed is a must have feature and is simple to add. I also love the ability to hashtag certain docs with passwords such as for medical records and the various views you can see docs in (one page, side by side, etc.) Our overall experience has been excellent, looking forward to continuing improvements and continuing to master the software.

Pros

The product was easy to use and was installed and integrated with the assistance of our IT professional. The features I find most impactful are the search capabilities between individual client folders, the ability to see multiples calendars at once without overlapping. I also love the activity feed to post and get up to date on the latest events in every case without having to search endless folders and screens. I could go on and on but it's also very simple to upload docs as it's a simple drag and drop from anywhere on your PC directly into the specific client folder you need.

Cons

The one thing I continually don't like is when I open a client folder, I'm unable to sort the documents in date order. At times, I need to go back to a certain date and the docs don't sort in that fashion or stay in any sort of order. I like how the docs tend to group by how you name them, but would love to see a date sort added.

Michael
  • Used for 1-5 months

Horrible Waste of Money

Reviewed on 2020/02/14

See above. The entire experience was awful.

See above. The entire experience was awful.

Pros

The option to turn on a texting feature for a matter was nice. Of course, the text would end up in a spot of the file that was unhelpful.

Cons

My experience with Filevine has been atrocious. It started with what can only be described as deliberate misrepresentations during the sales process. They do a demo of a product and then you get your product and it's nothing like what they promised. Here's a glaring example: I go into the system to start keeping time and send out invoices and I can't get into the billing section. When I report the problem, I'm told that billing isn't available because it's in beta mode. So...I can't use the system for one of the key functions.

They say that it integrates with email, but that just means you have to cc the file on everything and then you can't even move the documents around in the system. You have download and upload documents if you want them in different sections of the client matter.

I was told it integrates easily with Lawpay. Nope. You have to pay a third-party vendor to get it to integrate.

Perhaps worst of all, they get you to spend a lot of money on a "training" that they claim sets them apart from all other companies. Well, my team did the full day of training and the "trainer" could barely answer any questions and admitted he wasn't even a trainer. So in addition to wasting all the money we spent on training, we wasted a full day of work. They are unresponsive to these concerns, with their standard response being that we should just do more training.

The system is clumsy and the customer service is awful. I would warn any and every firm against using Filevine an

Response from Filevine

Hi Michael, Filevine is invested in long term partnerships. Communication is important and it appears that the understanding between the parties was not clear. We do want to take the opportunity to address your concerns. I am aware of the Training you are referring to and it is not the full training our clients receive, rest assured we are happy to ensure that happens at your convenience. As for the functionality of our billing, and email features, we have some exciting releases in the near future and are continuing to release advancements. We would encourage a conversation and the opportunity to make things right. Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve our communications and the future experience of our clients.

Deborah

Great Software for Case Management

Reviewed on 2021/09/09

Overall, I think Filevine is a great program. I love handling files digitally. I have worked with other programs and this is by far my favorite. I think since we started using Filevine that our cases are moving more smoothly.

Pros

There are several features I like about Filevine. First, I really like the daily feed which tells me what is due, who is working on the tasks, and if the tasks is accomplished. Secondly, I like the ability to pull up a case and see exactly what is going on. The activity feed is awesome. I like being able to get a complete view of the medical expenses and providers.

Cons

I wish the system captured injuries differently. I would like to see a tab just for injuries which would allow for notes from dr's records, client communication, etc. Also I would like to see a "planning" tab which would allow the attorney and paralegal to indicate plans for handling the case and the client.

Kevin

Efficiency

Reviewed on 2021/04/30

I am able to manage more cases as an attorney because of this software and live a less stressful life.

Pros

I like the way this softwares allows you to pull reports to your liking and allows you to cutimize the reports. I am a big fan of the mobile app. Simply things like being able to text from the software is a huge help and lastly the interface is amazing.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to edit documents right from FV , but maybe there is a way and I am not sure of it.

Scott
  • Industry: Law Practice

Not ready for prime time

Reviewed on 2022/02/08

Its as shame because Filevine could truly be great. But they do not seem to focus on meeting their customers needs.

Pros

Filevine is very customizable. It is very easy to ad documents to the system from outside sources and its reporting capabilities are pretty good.

Cons

The customer service is useless. They will not talk with you. You have to send them a detailed message and then they eventually respond with a vague response that does not address the problem. Load time to view documents is extremely slow. They refuse to connect with third party PDF software so they can make more money charging you for their clunky PDF software that does not work. Using their document assembly system is cumbersome because they do not have merge fields. It is extremely difficult to customize the system. There is more but there is not enough space to describe all the cons.

Aneta

Thrilled user

Reviewed on 2023/06/28

Overall experience has been amazing. I would suggest that everyone use this program. you can manipulate it to do anything that you need it to do.

Pros

There is nothing NOT to like about Filevine. It is user friendly, easy to use, convenient, simple.

Cons

There isn't anything i can say that i liked least about FV.

Ben

I love Filevine!

Reviewed on 2023/12/14

My overall experience with the system is fantastic and it's helped our firm become light years more efficient than my previous firm.

Pros

I love the organization of case notes, text to client, emails to and from the file, organization of meds, doc gen of pleadings and discovery, and much more.

Cons

It takes some time to customize it to your specific firm needs.

Cassidy

Filevine

Reviewed on 2021/05/06

So far, so good. I am hoping that my DOMO rep reaches out soon.

So far, so good. I am hoping that my DOMO rep reaches out soon.

Pros

I like the customization. Also like the faxing directly from the system.

Cons

Implementation was a long process. Would have preferred instruction on how to customize and edit the software first. Felt like the meetings were sometimes a waste.

Lawcus

Reasons for Choosing Filevine

Needed more functionality with my system

Lawcus

Reporting
Nicole
  • Industry: Legal Services

This software checks all the important boxes for case management and document management!

Reviewed on 2021/09/09

Our business runs more efficiently with the use of this software. While the cost is higher than some alternatives, we couldn't find anything else like it on the market.

Pros

This is an intuitive software that allows for great customization. It's as good as your team makes it with ongoing upgrades released regularly.

Cons

PDF editing could be better with improved features and more intuitive menu. The calendar syncing to Outlook still needs improving.

Mitchell

Filevine for Case Management

Reviewed on 2021/04/28

Once you figure out how to best use Filevine for your particular business I feel this to be a great case management product. Would highly recommend.

Pros

Purchased product in December 2018. Once it was determined how best to utilize Filevine has become indispensable. User friendly. Checks all the boxes for what we had hoped it would accomplish for our firm.

Cons

The only negative to speak of was the rollout itself. Not alot of guidance back when we purchased the product. Finding our way around Filevine for implementation was pretty much left to us.

Jane

Filevine is the Bomb Diggity

Reviewed on 2021/04/13

It is awesome and perfect! We love it!

It is awesome and perfect! We love it!

Pros

The integration - being able to fax, save as a PDF, preview and rename documents, & send secure documents (such as contracts via Vinesign) directly from the case is amazing and saves me more time than I could have ever imagined. Not to even mention texting directly from the case and a secure email address that delivers right to the case, and settin gup the TASK list... Filevine has become part of my daily life - I come from a Needles CMS platform and Filevine was so easy to learn!

Cons

Probably the Mailroom - not because of anything you guys did or did not so, but because it's always full! :)

Ana

Filevine Review

Reviewed on 2022/08/29

Definitely useful and great to use.

Definitely useful and great to use.

Pros

Everything is all together and easy to find. Tasks are always updated and good to keep up with.

Cons

There are a lot of days with it going down and unusable, and there are a few days that there are lags or issues. But it is getting worked on.