4,5
4,5
4,4
Joel L.
Industry: Law Practice

Great app but terrible customer service

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

Optimistic but very frustrated by terrible customer service and lack of implementation services.

Pros

A ton of feature and you can make anything you want out of it. You have to invest a lot of time into building it out. But FileVine is very innovative.

Cons

The customer service is some of the worst customer service I have ever received in my life. You are better off getting support from Google than from FileVine. I've been emailing them for seven months on one simple issue and six months on another and they won't even respond to my emails. You are on your own.

Response from Filevine

Hi Joel, we're sorry to hear that you weren't able to give us strong scores on service--our Director of Customer Success has reached out to you to discuss your support experience. We take your feedback very seriously and will do all we can to ensure any improvements which need to be made are appropriately addressed. That said, we are glad to see you are still enjoying the vision and functionality of Filevine and hope we can bring your service experience up to par with the rest of your experience.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Dawn R.

FileVine Rocks!

Reviewed on 2020/02/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

FileVine has finally brought our firm into the 21st Century!! We are now able to streamline our intake/sign-up process; easily manage/maintain our documents bringing us closer to our goal of being a paperless office; more efficiently communicate with our clients; and keep our paralegals on track with managing case loads.

The sales team and support staff were absolutely amazing! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the rest of the FileVine team went above and beyond to accommodate our firm, including, providing 3 separate demos to make sure EVERYONE involved in the decision making understood what was going on. LOVE. FILEVINE.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Input and updates to case info super quick and easy. The most efficient CM software I've used in the 25 years of being a paralegal. LOVE the customization

Cons

Honestly haven't found anything I don't like yet. Only thing I would like to see...only to accommodate some of our old-school staff, is some type of integration or syncing with QuickBooks. I believe it is available but is time consuming (on the programming end) and expensive?

Robert B.

Excellent So Far

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

The Filelvine training and transition is extremely well organized. The customer support is exceptional. They are proactive and knowledgeable and pleasant. The resources are endless and on point and readily available and they understand how to communicate and train busy lawyers and staff.

Basically Filevine is the New England Patriots in their prime and TrialWorks is the Cleveland Browns at their worse.

Pros

Its is extremely well organized with advanced capabilities that exceed TrialWorks by a great margin. The customer support is night and day. TrialWork was a cluster fudge. Filevine is like the extremely well run and proactive and knowledgeable and pleasant.

Cons

Nothing so far. The customer service is excellent - and nothing we have encountered so far is anything less.

Richard W.

Run - Do Not Walk - From Filevine

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Using Filevine was a waste of a year that I wish I could have back. A complete disaster. Make sure you have a backup of all documents you give them or upload into Filevine.

My experience with Filevine is that they check ethics at the door and will say and do anything for a sale.

They only hold the keys to all of your practice's information and documents, so best of luck with that.

Pros

Literally nothing.

At the end of the day, Filevine was the most expensive version of Dropbox or Box - not a practice management solution - possible, so, if that is of any interest, read on.

Cons

Filevine indicated to me that they were very experienced at migrating data over from the practice management software I had been using. A YEAR AFTER retaining Filevine, it was still NOT done and was a complete disaster. If you ever want to see your documents again, run - do not walk - from Filevine.

A YEAR after retaining Filevine, they still had not done any of the customization that they promised, which was a large part of the inducement to retain them. Unless you are a programmer or merely want the most expensive version of Dropbox or Box possible, run - do not walk - from Filevine.

I am NOT kidding or exaggerating about this last one: I signed up for a year's worth of service and cancelled after the year was up, for the above reasons. They then tried to tell me that I was actually in a 3 year contract! The agent who signed me up apparently CHANGED my agreement when he sent it to me via Docusign, so that he could make a sale. Run - do not walk - from Filevine.

Even despite all that is underway with the coronavirus pandemic, Filevine has the time to constantly badger me to pay for 3 years of service, despite knowing of their intentional misrepresentation and fraud, and despite their knowing that I do not use Filevine at all, given the above.

They even sent someone (a collector) not to my office, but to my home! Who does that?

I have used Clio and Smokeball and have never had these kind of issues. Run - do not walk - from Filevine.

Response from Filevine

Hi Richard, in looking at your experience, we'd love to address a few items. We reached out many times and were unsuccessful in reaching you, and even flew our Director of Implementation to San Diego to help you design your template to fit your needs. The visit was pre-planned and confirmed with you, but we are sorry if it still seemed a surprise. These efforts, along with many trainings and hours of consultation given, were all intended to help you create a workflow that you would be satisfied with. We still wish to uphold our offer to help and can do so at any time. As mentioned, your migration was indeed from a system we've handled many times successfully. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to release the data you were looking for. We're sorry this affected your experience so deeply. Regardless of the source of confusion, we're sorry to hear there was so much dissatisfaction around your experience. We still have open doors ready to assist you.

Judy R.

Superior Product

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Pros

User friendly and offers so many useful options. Customer service is excellent. I am able to contact [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Filevine and he is helpful and very nice.

Cons

I would like for it to offer an option such as Adobe Reader so that we can manipulate documents right in the Filevine program

Response from Filevine

Thanks for the kind review Judywe're happy to hear that you're enjoying Filevine! If you haven't heard, we recently released a whole suite of PDF editing tools that allows you to manipulate documents without leaving Filevine. Take a look over at https://filevine.com/features/docsplus-pdf/

Eric Y.

Customizable & Headache Free

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

I discovered Filevine after using two other case management programs. The first one I tried was fine, but it was too generic for my law practice. The second one I tried was more tailored to my area of law, but it was a headache to learn and lacked any ability to customize the program to work the way I like to work. Enter Filevine. Filevine lets users tailor the program to have features that users want instead of delivering static features that force users to adjuster their workflows to suit the software. The program is easy to use, has a pleasing interface, and the onboarding experience is awesome. I was guided step-by-step through the program so that when I was set loose with the program, I could hit the ground running.

Pros

The ability to customize the program so that it works the way you work.

Cons

The details I would change are very minor.

Response from Filevine

Thanks for the review Eric! Filevine is all about giving you the ability to run your practice the way that you've envisioned. Happy to hear that you're loving it!

Tyler K.
Company size: Self Employed

review

Reviewed on 2020/03/18

I like it. But it isn't a perfect 10 product.

Pros

that the system does update, that the company does work on it.

Cons

its isn't as user friendly as it could be with changing things about the practice areas. it does take a significant amount of work to dig into the weeds to figure out how to auto-generate documents.

Ryan M.
Industry: Law Practice

Filevine is the backbone of our practice.

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

I get the ability to move my cases quickly and in a way that produces repeatable results. There is a huge increase in our efficiency and organization.

Pros

Filevine's feed is deceptively simple. It looks a ton like Facebook. But that's part of the genius. We had trouble getting our team to use other case management software. They would take notes in various programs. But they have all taken to Filevine. The ability to send texts to clients from the feed is game changing for us. We love the document automation and workflows. We recently connected Filevine with Domo to give us best in class automated visual reports for our KPIs. We enjoy the ability to share tabs with our clients, experts, and referring counsel. Filevine allows us to scale our processes. We are very satisfied. Customer support is first rate. I used Clio for almost 6 years.

Cons

Sometimes data has to be entered multiple times in various fields - like birthdates. This is a small annoyance. I do wish that Filevine had an intake tab that functioned like Lexicata to allow our clients to enter in some of their information without us.

Valeria T.

Overall, Great software!

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

I love it! It makes it so easy to stay organized and so easy to catch up when you've been away from the office a day or two weeks! I am able to keep up with my work and calling clients. It's just a great software overall. Would not switch from this!

Pros

I love that you can assign and change deadlines for tasks. I love that it's setup like a facebook profile page for each client. I love that it's easy to use! The best part is being able to make reports on your data.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative about this software. every function has it's purpose and each purpose is very valuable to the case.

Response from Filevine

We're glad that you're loving Filevine. You've got us glowing over here, thanks for the review!

Ana B.

Excellent Training and Implementation of updates

Reviewed on 2020/05/21

Excellent Document Management program.

Pros

Trainers [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] are extremely knowledgeable of Filevine and have a very good idea of the needs of a personal injury firm. They have been very helpful and have made our process easy and friendly.

Cons

So far, I don't have anything negative to say other than I find the Quickbooks integration expensive.

Response from Filevine

Thanks so much for the positive review Ana!

Eowyn P.

SO MUCH BETTER THAN MOST

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

ALTHOUGH THEY ARE VERY NICE, THEY DO NOT NEARLY HAVE ENOUGH STAFF. THEY ESPECIALLY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGEABLE STAFF. IMPLEMENTATION WAS A STRUGGLE AND I HESITATE TO ASK FOR ANYTHING BECAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS. HOWEVER THE PROGRAM ITSELF HAS BEEN GREAT NOW THAT IT IS IMPLEMENTED (IT TOOK OVER 9 MONTHS FOR US TO GET UP AND RUNNING AND COST A LOT IN ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE AND OVERTIME FOR OUR STAFF).

Pros

CUSTOMIZATION (A BIG ONE), REPORTING, EASE OF TRAINING/LEARNING FOR STAFF, KIND CUSTOMER SERVICE, SYNCING WITH OUTLOOK, DOCUMENT DRAFTING AND ORGANIZATION, STAFF PRODUCTIVITY MONITORING, DOCUMENT MERGING AND EASE OF CREATION OF TEMPLATES (ALTHOUGH MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT FULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN OR YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE THEM OVER AND OVER).

Cons

CERTAIN THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE AND CAN'T BE CHANGED. EX. NO SPOT FOR SUBRO LIENS IN THE DRAFT CLOSING TAB, SORTING OF REMINDERS IS OLDEST TO NEWEST AND YOU CANNOT FILTER FOR OPEN REMINDERS (SO YOU HAVE TO SCROLL FOREVER ON AN OLDER CASE TO GET TO THE OPEN REMINDERS), CAN ONLY ASSIGN ONE COST/TRUST ACCOUNT PER ORGANIZATION FOR SYNCING WITH QB (EVEN THOUGH IRS REQUIRES A SEPARATE ACCOUNT PER CLIENT FOR COSTS AND THE BAR REQUIRES A SEPARATE ACCOUNT PER CLIENT FOR TRUST). DO NOT SWITCH TO QB ONLINE SOLELY TO SYNC WITH FV. NOT WORTH IT AND YOU CANNOT SWITCH BACK. CHOOSE YOUR INTERNAL IMPLEMENTATION PERSON CAREFULLY. NEEDS TO BE SOMEONE THAT IS TECH SAVVY, FAMILIAR WITH YOUR PRACTICE AND HAS THE TIME TO DEDICATE 3 MONTHS MINIMUM TO ONLY THAT. GET THAT PERSON A TEMP ASSISTANT FOR 3 MONTHS. THEY'LL NEED IT. BECAUSE OF THE CUSTOMIZATION, THEY REALLY DO NOT LEAD YOU THROUGH IMPLEMENTATION. YOU DRIVE THAT TRAIN AND YOU ARE THE PROJECT MANAGER. DO NOT RELY ON THEM TO GUIDE YOU.

Response from Filevine

Hi Eowyn, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry that implementation was a difficult process for your firm. We hope to continue making improvements to our implementation process so that things are smoother in the future, but we're glad to see that you're getting value now that everything is set up.
We read through the issues you reported and spoke with our team. Your Customer Success Manager and our Head of Support said they had a few ideas in mind to could help. Our Director of Solutions Engineering also mentioned they'd be happy to take a look to find ways we can improve the setup or workflow. Let us know if you're interested in hopping on a call.
Thanks again for being an awesome customer. We hope that we can continue to make Filevine even better for your team.

Nohl B.
Company size: Self Employed

Takes Your Solo Practice to the Next Level

Reviewed on 2019/03/02

With Filevine's help, I've been able to increase three-fold the number of active cases I feel comfortable handling. It's a great product, with a great support team. I would highly recommend it to everyone, especially if you already have a billing program you like and don't want to change.

Pros

This software adapts to the way you practice law. You don't organize your cases the way a vendor tells you to, you do it your way. You use your own, trusted, time-tested checklists and processes. But Filevine takes what you have built over your career to the next level by allowing you to streamline intake, and standard tasks you do in every case. The best way I can put is I don't need to cut-and-pate any more. I just click a button and I'm ready to serve standard sets of discovery. I don't need guess whether we ordered a court reporter for a deposition. There's a "Yes" or "No" button that says we did or didn't. I don't even need to manually check when we last did something on a case--I just click a button and a report tells me when the last activity occurred.

Cons

The set-up time is significant, especially if you are particular about the way things need to look and feel. But that's to be expected for something you can customize from the ground up. Outlook integration could be better, but it has improved since I've come on board. All signs indicate it's going to continue to get better.

Jared R.

It is great at its strong points. It's number of strong points are increasing.

Reviewed on 2016/01/30

The PI department in my firm (my department) has used Filevine for about two years now. I think we were one of its first users. My firm also uses Clio. Clio has some real strengths in trust accounting and thinks like that. But Clio doesn't hold a candle to Filevine when it comes to communication.

Filevine absolutely shines in the area of communication. That is an area where Clio and other practice managers fail. The Filevine Feed give unparalleled team cooperation and collaboration opportunities. Clio notes and tasks are combersome and my firm kind of ignores that feature. Filevine notes and tasks are the central feature of Filevine (imo) and it shows that the development team built it with team communication as the central goal.

It is the only software that my office has ever used where I have been able to convince my staff to consistently take notes on what is happening in the case. I can think of at least four times in the last year where there was a dispute with the court, and insurance company, or a client about what we said or did. We pulled up Filevine, showed them our time-stamped notes and won the day.

I also love, love, love the text-to-file feature. We can assign a private texting number to each client. The clients text directly into their case feed where I team can respond in text back. Clients can text pictures to that number, and Filevine will save them to the documents folder. If i am on the go, and I need to get a copy of a client's documents, I will often just take a picture of them and text them to the client's Filevine number. The texting feature means that texts aren't fragmented between different telephones. It means I can monitor communication between my team and my client. It means that we can reduce time-wasting phone calls by answering concise texts when we are ready. Clients really seem to love it.

In all fairness, Filevine is still rough in a couple of areas. I have spoken with the developers, and I know that they are working around the clock to bring new functionality and to make existing functionality more elegant. I personally don't mind software that still has room to grow as long as it has a team that is excited about making it grow. I think Clio has that kind of a team too. I know that Filevine does.

Anyway, it is worth taking a look at it. I know the Filevine team also spends a lot of time onboarding you with customization for your own firm. It is kind of cool.

Beatrice S.

FV Fan

Reviewed on 2019/10/31

Great! On several occasions, I wanted or needed FV software to do certain things. So far, if the feature wasn't available, the FV team either created it or created something equivalent to meet our firm needs.

Pros

I love that each project has a dedicated email address and phone #, so communications go directly into the file and allowing text communications with individuals without giving out a personal phone #.
I equally love that the FV team is always accessible and they are continually updating and creating new features.

Cons

The conversion from our old software to FV. That being said, our conversion troubles were not all FV issues. Having a person that knows the ins and outs of the old software and what features your firm used will help the FV team dramatically when it comes time to transferring data to appropriate fields.

Response from Filevine

We're so happy to hear that you're loving Filevine Beatrice! We're excited about all of the features we've been building, and we aren't stopping anytime soon! Thanks for your kind review.

Daniel C.
Industry: Legal Services

Was exactly the fit we were looking for and seems to constantly be adding new features.

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

Pros

The best thing about this product is the fact that it's fully web-based. Gone are the days of needing a beefy back end and/or an SQL server to host the databases. Now all of your data is secure and in the cloud for easy access for attorneys and their staffs.

Cons

The biggest con with this software was the setup. They sold us on a seamless integration, which is never the truth, with a dedicated handler. To put it plainly, our installation was not pretty. Lots of delays and having to really push to have certain items exported from our former client management system and entered into the proper fields within theirs. Was it worth the headache of making the move, absolutely, however it could have been handled much better in my opinion.

Ginny W.
Industry: Legal Services

BUYER BEWARE - FALSE, MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO GET CUSTOMER TO PAY & SIGN FOR 3 YEARS

Reviewed on 2020/02/26

We had a terrible experience with Filevine. The representatives are outright dishonest and lying to the customer just to make the sale. After countless hours of training we were told their forms software was a link to a California Judicial Council forms website. We were going to use the software for forms and billing. We tried to terminate the contract during the training phase within the first few months because the software is significantly deficient and Filevine had outright misrepresented its capabilities. They refused to terminate the contract initially and then agreed to terminate contract but kept our money.

Pros

Billing software was easy to use. Customer service was good until a conflict arose due to Filevine's major misrepresentations to get us to sign contract based on false statements. Their demeanor changed once contract termination was requested based upon their fraudulent conduct.

Cons

Does not have promised forms software which was one of the primary reasons we signed the contract.

Response from Filevine

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Filevine did not meet your expectations. We do our best to inform our clients and provide them with information to make the best decision for their firm in their purchase. We do wish to reach an amicable solution and continue to stand ready to work through this.

Michael T.

Horrible Waste of Money

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/02/14

See above. The entire experience was awful.

Pros

The option to turn on a texting feature for a matter was nice. Of course, the text would end up in a spot of the file that was unhelpful.

Cons

My experience with Filevine has been atrocious. It started with what can only be described as deliberate misrepresentations during the sales process. They do a demo of a product and then you get your product and it's nothing like what they promised. Here's a glaring example: I go into the system to start keeping time and send out invoices and I can't get into the billing section. When I report the problem, I'm told that billing isn't available because it's in beta mode. So...I can't use the system for one of the key functions.

They say that it integrates with email, but that just means you have to cc the file on everything and then you can't even move the documents around in the system. You have download and upload documents if you want them in different sections of the client matter.

I was told it integrates easily with Lawpay. Nope. You have to pay a third-party vendor to get it to integrate.

Perhaps worst of all, they get you to spend a lot of money on a "training" that they claim sets them apart from all other companies. Well, my team did the full day of training and the "trainer" could barely answer any questions and admitted he wasn't even a trainer. So in addition to wasting all the money we spent on training, we wasted a full day of work. They are unresponsive to these concerns, with their standard response being that we should just do more training.

The system is clumsy and the customer service is awful. I would warn any and every firm against using Filevine an

Response from Filevine

Hi Michael, Filevine is invested in long term partnerships. Communication is important and it appears that the understanding between the parties was not clear. We do want to take the opportunity to address your concerns. I am aware of the Training you are referring to and it is not the full training our clients receive, rest assured we are happy to ensure that happens at your convenience. As for the functionality of our billing, and email features, we have some exciting releases in the near future and are continuing to release advancements. We would encourage a conversation and the opportunity to make things right. Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve our communications and the future experience of our clients.

Christie N.
Industry: Law Practice

Very user-friendly with great tech support

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

The convenience of being able to access case information on the go - all of it - notes, documents, contact information, etc. It's easy to maneuver as well so you get your info quickly.

Pros

Easy to learn, can be tailored to suit your needs, and is a one-stop shop for all of the information and pertinent documents for your files. You control what's inputted and it can be as much or as little as you want/need. Support is quick to respond and very helpful. All issues that I have experienced have been quickly resolved.

Cons

The software is still evolving so there are minor issues that pop up - not bugs, just things that could be improved. That said, every issue I've noticed and called to support's attention has been resolved by the team promptly.

Veronica M.

Amazing case management software program.

Reviewed on 2018/01/05

Case Management organization and shared case information. The link between clients, we now know what clients are associated with a case and we can switch from client to client in a click of a button.

Pros

I was hired as the office manager for a small law firm. As of today, we are still in the beginning process as we have only had this program for about three months. There is so much to say about Filevine, it is an amazing case management software program. I especially loved that we were able to set up a template for our firms needs and desires. Everyone here has adapted very well as it is very easy to navigate and learn. If you need help organizing your case files this is the program. Reports are great as you customize the reports you want as you need them. Most importantly, always great and customer service support.

Cons

The biggest issue we have is that when we are in the case information section you must hit the save button or you can potentially lose everything you entered, it does not do an auto save, not even when you up-load documents.

Edwin S.

Best Case Management Software for Law Firms

Reviewed on 2017/03/14

I've been using FileVine for over a year and I couldn't be happier. I've used a bunch of other software, including Abacus and Clio, and they don't come close to FileVine. The best part about FileVine is how customizable it is. The staff is also super friendly and responsive. Highly recommend trying it out.

Pros

Customizable. Web-based. Friendly and responsive staff.

Cons

Because they are so customizable, once in a while you'll have a bug that needs to be fixed, but it's never been anything big. Minor issues like duplicate contacts, but they are quick to fix.

Stacey P.

Filevine is GREAT.

Reviewed on 2017/03/14

The law firm I work for signed up for Filevine about 6 months ago. One thing I love about Filevine is that there are constant efforts to improve the software. Each firm can customize their case set up to their specific needs. It helps with client contact the texting feature is so easy to use and our clients love it! We can track all aspects of a case and have the information readily available. Customer service is also amazing! Whenever we want to make adjustments or submit a new doc gen it is done within 24 hours. Filevine has really changed the way we manage our cases for the better.

Pros

Easy to use. Client friendly. Information is readily available.

Cons

Multiple tasks. I feel overwhelmed sometimes looking at the tasks that need to be completed. Even though they are usually duplicates.

Customizing with ease!

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

What a breath of fresh air this program is! It's like using a social media app! It's easy to navigate, accessible from anywhere & constantly improving.

Pros

I couldn't be happier with how easy it is to customize the program. In our firm, things change quickly and it is amazing to be able to change the program on our own without having to wait for customer support to get to us.

Cons

Updating can sometimes slow the system down. Other than that, I do not have anything negative to say.

Michael G.
Industry: Law Practice

comprehensible, friendly, and game-changing.

Reviewed on 2018/06/04

Transparency between staff and the man in charge. Easy report system that can be used for almost anything. Just makes life at work easier.

Pros

It's level of customizability alone, in my opinion, makes it a top-notch product. You build it around your needs which adds a level of ownership to it for everyone involved in the integration process. Adds a transparent and honest form of communication between the lawyer and paralegals.
Lastly, their training staff was amazing! Staff who was in charge of training me and our staff. They were super friendly and easy to understand. Always reinforced what I didn't understand at first and always had really brilliant ideas and tips on how I could really maximize the software uses for my firm specific needs. 11/10

Cons

I was told "this is something that they're working on" which I believe but our office uses 2013 outlook which unfortunately doesn't sync with Filevine at this point in time but that's by no means a deal breaker.

Brittny C.
Industry: Medical Practice

Filevine Keeps Our Office On Task!

Reviewed on 2019/11/27

Everything has been wonderful so far.

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about Filevine!

Response from Filevine

We're so glad you're loving it!

Erica M.

The Best

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

I love this new system we started using. It's much more professional when it's regarding our clients. I love that I can actually now send text messages to our clients. That is something we can't do with our land lines. Thank you filevine for coming available!

Pros

The best part of filevine is that we can update our clients on what is going on with their cases. We can also update our own staff when they are out and needs to know what is going on with each case.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say about filevine. Since I'm still learning how to use other features we have available