Denali Business

3,8
3,9
Bob B.
Industry: Accounting

Great for small to mid-size buisenes

Reviewed on 2018/03/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Modular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.

Cons

The interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.

Ernest B.
Industry: Retail

Being a user of this software for more than twenty years over all I it

Reviewed on 2016/01/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is a very stable platform and the service we get from computer team is first class

Cons

they use a genuis credit card capturing device and we feel that the device should capture the signature of our customers that have an open account. we have to have the customer sign twice or copy the A/R invoice!

John F.

Denali is full of Bugs, report information is inaccurate. Information cannot be trusted

Reviewed on 2015/11/13

Examples
1.Purchase Order generated an incorrect back order PO- the quantity on the PO was not what was in the Inventory Master Record. 2.The General Ledger impact report in Edit does not show accurate balances. 3. Interface with UPS Worldship does not work. 4. The daily backup only goes to a Local C Drive on a desktop. 5. Customer Statements have incorrect due dates. 6. Cannot print a Zero Dollar Invoice, but it does process through posting. 7. The percentages over Min and Max do not always work in PO. 8. Cannot modify existing reports as the data fields available are very restricted.

Plus- Crystal reporting tool works very well and can be used to generate stand alone reports directly from underlying files. System speed is very good. Report output allows for export to excel files. Easy to publish adjusted standard reports. Reprint a posting in GL very helpful.

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thanks for your comments. Your points are acknowledged. We have received a design change request related to PO-generation. Also, you are right about the UPS Worldwide interface. That interface was in CMS Pro (our legacy product) but was never implemented in Denali. There are a couple of points that are unknown to us. These include the issue with the Impact Summary and the issue with the Customer Statement. We¿ve searched our records for reports of these problems without finding them. We welcome your help in recreating those. Some of the points align with the expected use of the product. The backup does not have to be saved only to the local C drive, it can be saved to any networked location. Also, zero dollar invoices are not printed as the default in Denali because many (most) customers do not want them to print. (You can print these invoices manually by selecting All as the invoice type to print.)

We are constantly improving Denali and appreciate your input to the process.

Josh J.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Excellent Payroll System For Our Non Profit!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/09/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We were really excited to get started with growing our non profit but quickly became weary of the accounting requirements when paying individuals. It's been an amazing growth step in our organization.

Cons

It took some time to transition into this platform from our regular payroll system. However, with their support this was a quick and easy transition.

Aaron P.
Industry: Retail

Denali is the best!

Reviewed on 2014/12/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.

Cons

I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts. As far as the vendor, the thing I like the least about them is sometimes it's hard to get through to support.

Betty R.

Not user friendly

Reviewed on 2015/11/30

I know that we have an outdated version of your software, but find it to be not user friendly and when you call for help, you are initially put on hold for as much as 45 minutes and then it takes the whole day to get a call back.
When I need help, I need it at the time...
No need to contact us, we are changing software and are about to go live.

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Betty, thank you for posting your feedback. We certainly can understand the frustration of waiting for support. We released Denali, our latest and flagship product, many years ago and have concentrated our support staff on meeting the needs of the growing volume of Denali users. The result has been that the number of staff trained and available to service customers that remain on our heritage product (CMS Pro) has dwindled. Because there are fewer available staff that know this aging product the result is longer response times for customers that remain on that product. We are sad to hear that you will be converting to another accounting product but wish you well and good business in the coming years.

Margaret A.

Partial usage of software

Reviewed on 2016/02/19

We only use Cougar Mountain to post information from our hand written invoices. We post invoice #, total due and customer po# only. This gives us an ability to mail a statement with payments posted against it. It does give us a report to use for Sales Tax. We do not have inventory or A/P on this system.

Shannon H.

We have been using Cougar Mtn for 15 years now, I prefer it over Quickbooks.

Reviewed on 2016/03/10

Customer service is great, software is easy to use, updates are pretty painless. Transaction codes can be a little tricky and some of the windows are small and harder to read for us older folks! Overall I would recommend Cougar Mountain.

Darthie A.

Great software and very user friendly.

Reviewed on 2016/03/11

Currently using Cougar Mountain Pro 2016. The Software Assurance program is a must have. The customer service department (online and over the phone) is exceptional! Please continue to offer support for us Pro users for a very long time.

Nick A.

I have been using the Cougar Mountain for the last 30 years and I never change it till now

Reviewed on 2016/04/26

one of the best software ans software support
I am an Accountant and i use it for all my clients

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thank You Nick.

Tammy B.

I use the Denali Payroll and it is very easy to use and the software support people are great !

Reviewed on 2016/02/04

Very easy to learn and easy to use

Sarah J.
Industry: Accounting
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Learn something new everyday and great for the price

Used Monthly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2017/08/02

Easy to use and learn

Pros

Cougar Mountain Denali software was user-friendly and able to access at any level. Very easy to use and the issues has been rectified easily

Cons

Some of the features cost extra money. poor code requires constant updates and can't able to look back at transactions

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Sandy H.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

We learn something new everyday, their customer service is exceptional

Reviewed on 2016/03/31
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs.

Cons

The payroll package. I do not like the payroll reports. I am used to easier payroll reports for my payroll taxes and I do not like that I have to use an outside Payroll company to be able to easily see what I owe. Yes I can figure it out but without the use of the outside Payroll company but with it, it is 1000 times faster. But for the extra cost of the outside company, I doubt my employer would even consider it. The customer service of Cougar Mountain is exceptional. No complaints here.

David S.
Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Best value in accounting software I have ever seen.

Reviewed on 2015/11/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It can be tailored to fit nearly any need. With CMS I can get the Custom Modifications I need for some of my special needs. Right out of the box it has so many customizable options you can not imagine what all it can do. If you can not fid a way, just call CMS. They can and will find a way to fit everything you need.

Cons

It is not a pop-the-top and pour software. It can be a little complex for the beginner. But with time and use you can usually make it perform however you need.

Annette H.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

DENALI is a disappointing followup to CMS

Reviewed on 2014/07/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I've been with Cougar since 1990 and have always felt their product gives way more value and flexibility than any other out there on the market. They had a good product in CMS ACT. They also have US-based customer service.

Cons

DENALI is not ready for roll out. It seems like Cougar forgot all the lessons they learned through their DOS and CMS products. The reports are terrible and less informative than those in CMS. I'm having to do manual calculations to determine taxable wages. They don't include sick time, vacation time, or PTO in their history reports, and frankly I haven't figured out where I can get an accurate reporting of total gross wages or taxable wages. Their sort fields work only intermittently (page break on employee = page break on every check!). Denali feels like it was cobbled together and rolled out before it had even measured up to the standards of ACT; it's definitely not an "upgrade"! I'm so disappointed in Denali that I am considering evaluating other software moving forward, as Denali is not meeting my needs or providing the data I need for our reconciliation and internal accounting processes. In all fairness, I haven't updated to Denali 4.1 SP1 yet, and some of these issues may have been resolved.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Ronald I.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

FAYETTE COUNTY HEAD START

Reviewed on 2016/07/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The Support Staff is outstanding. Every time I have needed them they have solved the problem or answered my question successfully.

Cons

Some of the reports need improvement. The payroll reports should be keyed more to the information needed for quarterly reporting. They need to allow for more than one accounting year to be open at at time.

Kelly F.

easy customization

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors. Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems. I like the integration of the modules (ie.e purchase order, to inventory, to accounts payable, to general ledger). This speeds up all data entry. We really like being able to archive reports rather than printing reams. Overall, this software is great!

Pros

Cons

I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts.

Bonnie F.

Interstate Battery of Sioux City - Bonnie

Reviewed on 2016/07/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We have been using CMS since at least since 1987 and have had no problems, easy to work with

Cons

Support is awesome but we don't have to call very often at all, the whole group is great to work with

Cheri B.

I would never reccommend Cougar Mountain

Reviewed on 2015/11/23

I am very unhappy with Cougar Mtn. and the software...things do not balance and know one can tell us why.
They have messed up our Customer notes and can not fix so now we really have a mess.
When I ask a question, I am told they can not answer that and they don't know why the reports look the way they do???
One report won't even print out with the correct customer address and days have been spent trying to fix it and it wasn't fixed....customer order sheets have the incorrect address or no address

Response from Cougar Mountain Software

Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly sorry that you have experienced these issues. Our records indicate that we have, on numerous occasions, attempted to recreate the issues you have noted. Thus far we have not been able to successfully identify an issue. We¿ve even used your data but still have not been able to reproduce the errors. We, unfortunately, see a pattern of customer problems related to the use of our heritage software (CMS Pro) and the new versions of the Windows operating system. When other customers have experienced these types of issues, we have seen that the upgrade to our newest version of accounting software, Denali, and successful data conversation, has eliminated many of the issues you have described. We encourage you to investigate upgrading from our older technology to the latest version of Denali accounting software.

Jean N.

Long-term Customer

Reviewed on 2016/04/21

I began using the software from Cougar Mountain in the early 1990's. I had previously used software from two other companies with the first being too skimpy on reports and the second developed a major glitch. The initial set-up of the information was easy, and once the system was up and running, I was thrilled with the results and the detailed reports. I have used and upgraded the software various times, and to this day I'm still extremely happy and quite content with Cougar Mountain. Due to the detailed reports which it is able to produce, we have been able to substantially keep our CPA fees to a minimum. We also use corresponding checks from Cougar Mountain for our Accounts Payable and Payroll transactions due to the ease of ordering, consistency, and fast shipping.

Clement O.

Cougar Mountain Review

Reviewed on 2017/01/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The product was fairly easy to use. However, it did not meet our expectations nor was it easy to use. We would ask customer support for help but could never get the issues rectified.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Christine C.

Reports

Reviewed on 2011/04/07

I have used this software since 1990. Need I say more?

Pros

Variety of viewing
Personal options
Download to spreadsheets
Design your own

Cons

Too many options in Report Writer and no time to learn them all.

Mary C.

I'm a new user and continue to discover great features

Reviewed on 2016/01/17

Pros - ease of use, customer service, exports, choices of report output
Cons - can't view posted batches or journals

Sharon S.

I am currently using the Denali software, having transitioned over from Cougar Mt Pro

Reviewed on 2016/02/15

I am 66 years old, and do not possess all the technical skills of todays youth. Having said that, I learned Cougar Mt Software 25+ years ago. (when DOS based was the norm)! Cougar Mt Pro was easy to learn and work with. The Program writers did a great job with the transitioning into Denali. The Software is easy to access, understand and maneuver though..The Modules were well thought out and set up. It gives me what I need for our Accountant and more so. I'm an extremely cautious person that doesn't go outside the box of what is comfortable for me. For that reason, I "always" purchase and rely on the Support Contract package offered. Its worth every penny! From the girls that take your Support Request, to the Installers of new Updates, the specialist dealing with customized report needs and I can not forget or say enough good about the Technical personnel! With 25 years of working with Cougar Mt., I can honestly say the Customer Service Representatives are outstanding! Everyone is courteous, knowledgeable and focused. In the fast pace world we are in and everyone needing help "now", the turn around time from call to help is minimal. Everyone at Cougar Mt is so dedicated to helping you solve your issue! I am ever so grateful for their support team!

Not as good as CMS Pro but heading in excellent direction

Reviewed on 2017/06/02

Pros

For the money, the features are excellent and I challenge you to find a better product in the price range. We have been using CMS since 1992. In fact, I still have one business doing in same revenue still using the DOS version. We also use Pro for some businesses and one business is now on Denali. The product is excellent. We didn't want to change from CMS PRO but had to. Denali is strong. Not yet better than PRO but most users won't know the difference. Bottom line: solid accounting foundation, well organized, more than capable for wholesale distributor. We are heavily customized which was not possible with Denali. Thankfully, they have partners that are very capable. I have always considered CMS one of the best business decisions I ever made.

Cons

Somewhat slower to use. Screens are not colored well so can be hard to use/ see what you're doing. I wish they would at least acknowledge the strengths of CMS Pro and work harder to identify and incorporate them into Denali. Oh, the new software programming doesn't allow you to easily move the data and run it from another location. That was a huge advantage when hard drives failed or we needed to move systems. It will be much harder now. These are not big issues but they are cons from my perspective. I'd still buy the product any day of the week and twice on Sunday.