DyKnow

Classroom management & student behavior monitoring software

Amy

Do You KNOW what your students are doing?

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

DyKnow is a must have for any school that utilizes technology on a regular basis. Yes, it is important that teachers are up and walking around to check what students are doing, but students are VERY sneaky and they can often hide things with just a single swipe. With DyKnow, teachers have instant access to the student across the room or even the student in study hall who SHOULD be working on homework. I've even used it from home when I have a sub so my kids at school know I'm always watching. DyKnow helps students stay on task, and it is an essential tool in a 1:1 school like mine.

Pros

Teachers can instantly access one student's screen or the whole class's. I can also block or restrict certain sites. This is especially awesome when we are doing an online quiz. No Googling for answers!

Cons

Sometimes it lags and it makes it difficult to monitor. This is not the norm, however.

Response from DyKnow

Amy - thank you so much for taking the time to share! We appreciate it and are so glad to hear DyKnow is a valuable addition to your classroom :)

Christopher

Great Way to Keep Your Students on Task

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I have anxiously waited for and embraced this technology since day one. I am so happy that our school district realized the importance of have such a useful tool. One of my favorite aspects is the ability to be able to print which website students have been using or trying to use. I will take that information to a parent/teacher conference and the students never see it coming and the parents are usually shocked! It speaks for itself. One feature that I have recommended was one whereby a teacher could share their blocking plan with another teacher, content area, grade level, etc. Finally, I would like to see an easier way to "capture" a screen shot. Having to copy and paste into a Word document, then save it, can be tedious. Overall, the best thing that our district has ever invested in.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Christopher - Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your positive experiences with us :) We love hearing DyKnow has been a valuable addition to your classroom!

Thanks for the idea to share blocking plans between teachers, I have mentioned this to our Product Manager for a future enhancement!

One tip for you:
To save a screenshot, just right click and "Save as Picture". Here's a "how to" article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215244778

Pam

Slow with problems

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I like DyKnow when it is working properly. It may just be our school district's internet, but DyKnow takes so long to load that I end up walking away before I can use it. Also, there are almost always 1-3 students whose computers don't show up on DyKnow. I do like the analytics feature, and the feature to message a student even while I am away from school. If it loaded faster, it would be a lot more useful.

Pros

The analytics feature and being able to track what students have been doing. I also use it to show students' work on the screen.

Cons

It works way too slow to use it much in real time.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Pam! We haven't heard this overall slowness reported from anyone else, especially at Reeds Spring. It could be that your classroom is located in a spot that's not super convenient to a WIFI access point? I'm so glad to hear you find value in our Analytics :) That's a great way to just "start and stop" DyKnow and then take a look at class time activity. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback!

Sandra

DyKnow Cloud is a Lifesaver

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

As the DyKnow admin, I have to say that the ease of use in Cloud far exceeds the previous DyKnow Monitor. I am especially appreciative of your efforts to continually improve the product by taking the advice and suggestions from your customers. Your support team is attentive and knowledgeable and can answer questions in "English"--unlike some other IT support teams that I personally think make up big words to confuse the customer. : )

Thanks for all you do to keep us up and running.

Pros

Various ways you can monitor students--not just thumbnails. The Activity Trackers is a great addition. Segmented blocking was greatly appreciated too.

Cons

Of course some of our teachers still bemoan the loss of some of the "Vision" features.

Response from DyKnow

Thanks for the feedback, Sandra!! We love serving STM classrooms :)

Hollie

Great easy-to-use product

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I teach middle school, and anytime my students are on their chromebooks, I use Dyknow. I know whenever they try to sneak away from our assignment to check their email, surf the web, or to do anything else. It's easy to use and very effective. I have stopped several fights due to emails popping up and me accidentally seeing what was about to happen... When a student strays from an assignment, I can easily send them a private message saying to get back to work. They then know I'm watching them, and very rarely do I ever have a kid commit a second offense. The program is very efficient and even teachers with very little technology experience can use it.

Pros

Easy, quick, and efficient to use.

Cons

Sometimes a few kids don't come up. If they don't come up, we can't keep an eye on what they're doing.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Hollie - we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you! I'm so glad to hear DyKnow is valuable to your classroom :) Any time a student doesn't appear in your class, a great first step is to ask the student to restart their device. Also, please feel free to email support [at] dyknow [dot] com with the name of the student, and our team in Indianapolis will take a look right away!

Eric

Dyknow - This changes everything

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

This software enables users to monitor the activities of students on their computers. Before Dyknow we had to situate monitors facing a teacher desk or constantly move around the room to check on what students are doing. This made small group instruction nearly impossible!! Now we can monitor in real time from one screen and check history if questions arise. Dyknow will also allow me to send messages to select students or the entire group so now I don't have to speak across the class to ask for small flexible groups to come and meet. A simple silent message to targeted students is all that is needed. My voicebox thanks you! I can also send out a link when it is time to move on to new instruction and the computers will go there directly instead of me needing to walk around and fix everyone's link or find their bookmarks. I can also block sites that students keep going to everytime I turn my back. You can even make groups of students with certain websites allowed or blocked. That means trustworthy student might be able to access sites like you tube when other students are blocked. It's a great investment.

Pros

It does so so much to help me manage the computers in class in a way that enables me to multi-task.

Cons

It can get slow and crashes more often than I would desire.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Eric - You're a true power user! You hit on so many of our features, we're so glad to hear you're getting the most of DyKnow and it's valuable to your classroom. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are constantly striving to continue improving the performance of DyKnow Cloud, and you have our commitment that performance and reliability are our #1 priorities!

Emily

Essential tool for a 1-to-1 classroom

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

We've been using DyKnow in some form since 2010, and it has proven to be a huge help in managing distractions. The newer Cloud version is easy to use on the teacher side--it's highly intuitive and has a simple UI. I primarily use an "Allow Only" plan, which lets students access a preset list of sites and apps that we regularly use in class, but it's quick and easy to edit the blocking plan you're using (where you get the option of making a change only for the current session, or save it as a permanent change), switch to a "Block Only" plan, or just release the students from blocking entirely and block sites/apps on the fly if you need to.

A few things I've appreciated:
- Segmented blocking - This is especially useful when students are working in groups, taking tests (students who finish can be released to a different blocking plan), or when a student is absent but happens to be using their laptop during class.
- Timed blocking - This is awesome for those of us who sometimes forget to release the students when class ends...
- The activity tracker - An easy way to know at a glance what the students are doing.
- Adding apps - DyKnow customer support has been really quick to respond when an app isn't in their database--I can't think of a time when I had to wait longer than a day for them to act on a request.

One feature I miss from the old desktop version is the chat feature, which I used to use to allow students to ask questions during tests. Cloud does have tools for teachers to send out messages and multiple choice/true-false/yes-no questions, but doesn't (yet?) have a way for students to ask their own questions. The ability to push documents to students was nice too, but we have other tools for that now, so I don't really miss it.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Emily - WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to share such detailed feedback on how you use DyKnow in your classroom. We appreciate it!

Justin
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Really Good, Could be Great

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

The product is really easy to use. Very intuitive and visual. There are a couple of features I wish it had. The questions sections could use the ability to organize it into units or themes. I would like the ability to send messages to students from the class view, instead of having to go to the specific student view first. Also, the program is a little slow to respond and load. That could be improved. Overall this is a really good program and I use it often for a variety of things.

Pros

Easy to use.

Cons

Slow to respond and load.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to share! To send a message to all students from your Class view, check out the Bell icon on the right side of your screen. When you click this icon and select "Send a Message," you can select "Select all Students" and send your message with one click! Here's a How To article with screen shots: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/217202737

We definitely like the idea of organizing your questions, and will share this with our Product Manager!

We're also constantly continuing to improve the speed with which DyKnow is delivered to you :)

Thanks again!

Corban
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Efficacy in Honors Science

Reviewed on 2017/03/18

I've found that this software is a very simple and effective way to limit distraction in the classroom. The black and white data shows, without bias, whether the student was engaged with the content or choosing to wander the internet. This software is helpful in gaining an understanding of a student's pattern in classroom behavior, leading to conversations between students, parents, and educators concerning what may be best for their child's success.

Pros

The ability to track history over specific ranges of time; the past 6 months, the past year, since the beginning of class, in the past week, etc.

Cons

Unlocking a student's screen can sometimes be more difficult than it should be.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Corban - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about DyKnow Cloud! We're so glad to hear you find our Analytics to be valuable in your classroom. We'd love to hear how you might improve our "unlock" feature - please use the in product chat or email csm [at] dyknow [dot] com anytime to share with our Product Manager!

Sharon

DyKnow Review and Appeal

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I really enjoy the functionality and features of DyKnow Cloud but still miss DyKnow Vision greatly. I loved the interactive nature of the program and my ability to control certain aspects of teaching/presentation/assessing. DyKnow Vision was a 5-star tool; DyKnow Cloud/Monitor is more a 3 or 4-star program--largely because it doesn't transform instruction the way the the other tool did.

Pros

The ability to keep my students focused and free from distraction; also the ability to share screens/student work with other students.

Cons

Sometimes I get frustrated with waiting for the bubbles to "explode"--a problem I did not have with DyKnow Vision--and I greatly miss the features DyKnow Vision provided for guided and interactive learning.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Sharon - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback on DyKnow! We appreciate how much you loved Vision :) Microsoft OneNote is a really awesome program to replace Vision with almost an identical feature set!

Agatha

Love being able to monitor my students during class!

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

My school has an account for all freshmen and sophomores because we started a chromebook program. I love being able to block certain sites or allowing only the sites I want to use during that class period. It does freeze sometimes and I have to restart but that's the only problem I've had. I really love it! I wish we had accounts for the seniors and juniors too!

Pros

Ability to block sites
Ability to allow only certain sites
Ability to see student activity in real time
Reports of student usage

Cons

Sometimes freezes

Response from DyKnow

Hi Agatha - Thanks so much for taking the time to share! We love hearing how DyKnow is helping your classroom :) If you run into a specific event when the product freezes, please email support [at] dyknow [dot] com and we'd be happy to look into it!

Jeff

A Good Program Getting Even Better

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I use this in a high school classroom and it has become an invaluable too to help me monitor the progress and activity of my students. Dyknow also helps me know what me students are doing when I cannot be right beside them and to help me redirect their work as needed. I also enjoy using it's blocking features to restrict the use of the internet during tests and essays so that students may still use technology but not the full internet to write their papers. Overall it is easy to learn and very effective a few bugs early that have mostly been ironed out.

Pros

Monitoring features
Messenger
Restricting internet access as needed.

Cons

Students occasionally find ways to get out of monitoring.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Jeff - thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We are working hard each day to continue improving DyKnow for your classroom :)

Stephanie
  • Industry: Music

DyKnow Review

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

DyKnow is fairly easy to use however there is issues at times where a student doesn't show up on the page even when we've added them. Kids have also learned different ways to keep you from seeing what they are doing. If they were logged in for another class then they must log off and turn back on sometimes in order for you to see them.

Pros

Ease of acces

Cons

The constant refresh and that it stays on their page even if they have moved to another site. It doesn't find that site until it refreshes again.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Stephanie, thank you for using DyKnow Cloud and for taking the time to share your feedback! If you're interested to see what students are doing in real time, the best place to see this is Activity Tracker. Here's a "how to" article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/206974567

ryan

Dy Know Review

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

Dyknow is constantly adding new features and tweaking existing to improve the function and use of their product.

Pros

Blocking individual students or the entire class and using multiple plans a once

Cons

Some students evade monitoring.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Ryan - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback! If you ever find a student not showing up in class, please use the in product chat feature or email support [at] dyknow [dot] com with the name of the student, and we'll get to the bottom of it!

Loran

Polson's Review

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I like that getting students on task can now be private. I like that I can see what students are working on, though some students have learned how to trick the system.

Pros

Conversations about staying on task are more private

Cons

You have to stay at your computer, and some students have learned how to trick it.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Loran - Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We're happy to hear DyKnow is adding value to your classroom :) If you ever run into a time when you believe a student isn't properly monitored, please use our in product chat feature or email support [at] dyknow [dot] com and our team will look into it right away!

Stephenie

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I love how easy it is to see all of my student's screens at once. I can quickly and easily see if all students are in the correct location. It is also very easy to block a student and send them a quick message. (Can't review about value for money as the corporation pays, and I have no idea what they pay. I've also never used the customer support.)

Pros

Ease of seeing all the screens at once.
Ease of blocking students immediately and sending them a message.

Response from DyKnow

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, Stephenie! We appreciate it! :)

Betsy

Great Resource for Teachers

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I use DyKnow to monitor students daily. I enjoy being able to restrict students computers without having to verbally remind them over and over again. Furthermore, it helps keep students on task.

Pros

-Restrict individual computers
-Data collection
-Quickness of the program

Cons

-Not being able to block spotlight features (Ex: using the calculator through spotlight)

Response from DyKnow

Hi Betsy, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! I appreciate the mention of Spotlight - this is a known issue and I will "+1" back to our engineers.

Dana

GREAT way to Monitor Student Progress

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

This program helps me make sure all my students are on-task and focused. I am able to provide immediate feedback and directions to help them succeed.

Pros

Ability to monitor student progress

Cons

Not always up to date because of refreshing time

Response from DyKnow

Hi Dana! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. For a real time view of what websites and apps students are using, check out our Activity Tracker! Here's a How To article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/206974567

Bradley

Good, but could be better

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

Could me more user friendly, it was difficult to maneuver at first. There could be more features added to make the program work better. More functionality of the features.

Pros

Blocking feature

Cons

Features are difficult to figure out. More features are needed, or need to be improved.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Bradley! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We'd love to hear the specific features you'd like to see added to DyKnow. Please email csm [at] dyknow [dot] com!
For additional product training, we have two, 4 minute training videos I think you might enjoy. Our Knowledge Base is also full of helpful, step by step articles: support.dyknow.com

Check out training video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGtRpmHIhU&t=37s

Check out training video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSWcrMQ6GU

Jeff
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

great when it works, but the key is when...

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

This program does not work consistently. In fact, it only works at the beginning of the day and occasionally in the afternoon. I teach 6 sections of Earth Science and during periods 3 through 5 it is a failure. It doesn't connect, load, or it malfunctions to the point where students chromebooks are locked up. This is something that has distracted us even on test days. It is a great progarm in theory, but in application it is lacking any consistency.

Pros

Its capability

Cons

Its inconsistency

Response from DyKnow

Hi Jeff, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear DyKnow isn't working as expected, we haven't heard this from other teachers at Warren, especially during designated times of the day. I will ask our engineers to look into this!

Alison

Great Classroom Management Tool

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

I'm a middle school teacher in a 1:1 classroom. Being able to easily monitor what students are doing on their computer has been an extremely helpful management tool. I especially love having the ability to block students when they are off task!

Pros

Monitor, block or send messages to students who are working on computer

Cons

Sometimes slow to load

Response from DyKnow

Hi Alison, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about DyKnow! We love having Reeds Spring as a customer :)

Silfrido
Silfrido
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

The most interactive way to monitor students.

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

My experience has been very good in complementing the assignments of my students and their excellent academic performance.

Pros

The ease of use, the adaptation to any curriculum, as well as the simplicity to monitor the progress of the assignments of my students. It allows you to prioritize the content of work and its follow-up from any place such as being in the classroom.

Cons

The only limitation found is the support of the internet connection, to keep the contents up to date and monitor the tasks.

Andrew
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Keep your students on task

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

Good monitoring tool to make sure that technology used within the classroom is being truly used as a learning tool rather than a tool for distraction. Has support for all devices that our school uses. Good reporting.

Cons

The reports are limited to certain criteria whereas our school would value the ability to report on more robust data points. Does not currently support mobile devices, which is unfortunate because there is a lot of iPad use within the classroom.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your thoughtful review! In response to your iPad comment, we recommend using Apple Classroom to manage those. Due to Apple's restrictions on the iOS platform we are unable to monitor iPads. I hope this helps! -The Dyknow Team

Lori

Dyknow helps you know

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

Dyknow has been a great tool for keeping eyes open to what's happening throughout my class. I can tell how well students are progressing through their assignments, and can help keep them on track, even from across the room. I can also limit the available online distractions during class. My only concern is the response time - particularly upon logging in to a class and logging out, but that's a minor detail compared to all this application can do!

Pros

I like the ability to filter out or filter in certain sites/apps.

Cons

The time it takes to close out of the class and the ability of the kids to get past the software - problems that we'd probably have no matter what software we used.

Response from DyKnow

Hi Lori, thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, we appreciate it! The district may be able to update some Chromebook management settings to help with the times students appear to be circumventing DyKnow; there is usually an explanation for this :)

Justin
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Can't live without it

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

DyKnow has been a Godsend as far as being able to make sure my students are on task in class. Customer service has been very responsive to any needs I had as I was getting comfortable with the features of the program too. Now that I have it I couldn't imagine class without it!

Pros

Ability to manage my students' Chromebook usage

Cons

N/A

Response from DyKnow

Thanks so much for the feedback, Justin! We appreciate you taking the time to share and are so glad to be adding value to your classroom :)