Canopy

Write a Review!
Practice management software for accounting firms

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
4.4/5

Nishon
Nishon

Best Project Management Software

Reviewed on 2023/01/05

I absolutely love this software! I could not do my day to day without it. I use it for tracking my bookkeeping, corporate compliance tracking, tax return management, e-signatures, task management, emails, calendar, and fed and state forms.

Pros

I love the project management aspect and the all of the templates. Recurring task and notifications. Email capability.

Cons

I would love to see templates for e-signature email notifications, ability to turn on and off different payment methods

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback! We're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

Vexilla

Very pleased with switching

Reviewed on 2022/11/22

Overall I am very pleased with Canopy and their customer service.

Overall I am very pleased with Canopy and their customer service.

Pros

I love how user friendly it is. I love how easy it has allowed me to automate tasks etc. I can see why other Accountants love it.

Cons

I would like to see more restrictions to users. It would also be beneficial to automate some IRS forms. However, I must say that anytime I have contacted TaxDome for a feature that's not available, they offer alternatives. They also have a program where users can request a feature.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for your feedback, Vexilla! We appreciate you using Canopy. We also just want to note that we do have a customer request forum! If you'd like to request an update or a new feature, or track a timeline for an upcoming feature request. Just sign in here https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Josie

Disappointed

Reviewed on 2021/12/06

Canopy seems to have lost its way in regards to its purpose. Their response to issues is slow, at best. We have been using the software for almost 4 years and have made the painful decision to change due to a lack of support and increased pricing.

Pros

We liked the ability to access the software/information from anywhere.

Cons

The software does not allow you to export a sorted contact list. A very simple option that has been neglected.

Andrea

Has it's place

Reviewed on 2022/10/27

Customer support is great. The client management module is great. I will probably let go of the workflow module, though, when my subscription is up because there's a lack of collaboration features, like no internal chat.

Pros

I love the Client Management module and the client-facing mobile app. It is very simple for our clients to use and to send us documents securely. We have had great success with client-adoption. I also like the automated client reminders.

Cons

OMG, it takes SO MANY clicks to accomplish anything. Pretty much everything you can do inside canopy could be streamlined by reducing at least one click. Working across multiple tasks, across multiple clients, that's a lot of clicks. Also, the firm-facing mobile app UI could be greatly improved and have better functionality.

Financial Cents and TaxDome

ClickUp

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Canopy made it easiest for my clients to provide me information in a secure way.
Amanda

Impressed Customer

Reviewed on 2021/11/29

It is so helpful in maintaining adequate project management and clear workflow for all staff.

Pros

Customer support. I have questions and suggestions all the time and I love that by using the chat support I get prompt answers and endless follow-up from support staff.

Cons

Transferring clients over created several duplicates and ultimately some lost information in the transition.

Tyler
  • Industry: Wholesale

Change for the Better!

Reviewed on 2022/06/11

My experience with Canopy is amazing I will never leave and i will invite all my friends and family

Pros

The thing that i liked the most about the software was that it was easy to use and it was also inexpensive.

Cons

I wish I could use more charts in the software but besides that it is amazing

Saliya

Why do you need Canopy?

Fantastic product!

Fantastic product!

Pros

Most important features are user friendly and easy to share within the own files, company team files and clients' files.When we are importing new zip files with multiple folders, I don't need to create new folders, file names etc. on my Canopy software create and save file where I need to store it.

Cons

When the client sharing folder has more documents, I noticed the speed has come down a little slower than normal.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback and we're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

Jessica
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Such a great option if you have the budget

Reviewed on 2021/12/07

I did the free trial and it was so nice to have all those features, but if you want to have access to everything you need to take out your wallet and pay a lot.

Pros

It's so easy to use, the interface is so slick and powerfull.

Cons

The price point is not for small tax practices just starting to build their portfolio on tax resolution

SmartVault

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Its the top of the top in office management and tax resolution management but you're limited to the basic functions if your clientele is under 200 and after that you have to pay a high price.
marc

Grang Bang for the Buck

Reviewed on 2023/09/27

Pros

I love that Canopy had the ability to help me route my tasks properly and productively. I also LOVE that there is a firm facing iOS app. It helped me be portable!

Cons

My biggest issue with Canopy was the KBA and not being able to customize certain aspects of the recurring projects.

Kurt
Kurt

Constant Improvements

Reviewed on 2021/05/22

Canopy is very useful as it is, but this company seems dead set on always improving its operation & structure. At least monthly, I get an opportunity to view what is new on Canopy and what they are working on next. I can keep my finger on the pulse of my clients so I can quickly respond to their expectations.

Pros

When my client's upload documents to the portal, Canopy lists that activity, I click on it, and I am able to take action on it right away.

Cons

I would like to be able to adjust the timekeeper when I start it or while it is running.

DT Practice

Price and ease of use.
Kyle

Local Tax CPA Firm

Reviewed on 2022/12/09

Overall, we are very happy with Canopy. It has allowed our firm to operate more efficiently, allowing for a number of manual processes to be automated, giving us more visibility over workflow, and the list of positives goes on and on. The software is not perfect, but they do a great job of listening to feedback. They are continuously making improvements.

Pros

The software is easy to use for us internally as well as for our clients. Our firm has drastically benefited from the workflow, file management and client management features. We look forward to moving over our time and billing to have everything under one login.

Cons

We would love to see a more robust Home-Admin page, bulk e-sign requests from templated letters (engagement letters), roles by contact to integrate with tasks to populate assignees (e.g., Partner, Bookkeeper, Preparer, Reviewer, etc.), limit parent task completion to select users (to avoid false completed tasks), share documents with non-portal users, send invoices to non-portal users, parent-sub invoicing, time & billing improvements, allow for folder templates to be applied when tasks are applied, allow for doubling clicking on a file to default to "Edit File" instead of preview mode, allow to search spouses on mobile, allow for additional formatting in Notes section.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for this detailed feedback, Kyle! We're glad Canopy is working for your firm and streamlining your processes.

We hope to address many of your specific recommendations in the near future as well! Follow along our new feature roadmap (or request a new feature yourself) by logging in here: https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Deniz
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Solve many jobs in a short time with Canopy...

Reviewed on 2022/11/30

I've been using Canopy for a 1 year now and I absolutely love it. The software is amazing, it works perfectly for my needs and it integrates well with the rest of our system. It's very easy to use, has a great interface and a huge range of features.

Pros

I had been looking for a simple accounting solution to help me manage my clients' invoices, and discovered this product. It is simple, easy to use, and has a ton of features. Within a few months, I was able to set up my clients' invoices in a matter of minutes, and start using it. I also turned it into a project management tool.

Cons

Canopy has proven to be a robust and reliable solution that has helped streamline our document management processes, and it works well with our accounting software. The interface is very easy to use, the adaptation time to the software is very short, and it worked smoothly.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for this amazing feedback, Deniz!

Sandeep

Perfect Solution for CPAs

Reviewed on 2023/01/04

Fantastic -- my workflow, project/task management, document retrieval/editing/sharing etc.

Pros

Frankly, I purchased Canopy in November of 2019 when I opened up my practice in my home office, and didn't have a full grasp of it as the pandemic hit. 3+ years later - with much of the transition in the last few months - I can't imagine my practice without Canopy. The interface is super user-friendly, there are many options providing the user with a more personalized approach.

Cons

Sometimes certain shortcuts aren't available, or the desktop software errors etc. but it's small things and so far I've managed fine; needless to say Canopy is continuously improving so (not a con) once the "Print" or "Save" option directly to Canopy was available and my contacts were set integrated with emails etc. it's been a breeze.

Response from Canopy

We're so happy to hear that Canopy has helped you launch your in-home practice! We are always striving to improve and are glad to hear we're going in the right direction. Thanks for being a Canopy user, Sandeep!

Joshua

Better than Great

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Canopy has helped me improve the remote part of my business, so I can serve Clients around the world, even when I am not in the US.

Pros

The better-than-bank security made the choice a no-brainer.

Cons

The instant access to files that a Client uploaded wasted precious seconds every time I accessed a Client's folder.

Suralink

Reasons for Switching to Canopy

Better security for sensitive files.

Response from Canopy

We're glad you're enjoying Canopy Joshua! Thank you for your time leaving a review and we hope to continue making your practice as secure as possible for years to come!

Mark
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy helps our company stay organized.

Reviewed on 2021/11/23

Pros

Communication tab, organization of tasks.

Cons

We would like to be able to integrate ability to update worksheets/ documents in internal files, just like you would in sheets or docs (if you want to edit, you have to do so outside of Canopy and re-upload. We would like to be able to quote in the system.

Kailee

GREAT PRODUCT- Depth of Use

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

Record keeping is great. I will look into how I can expand use for our firm since we use primarily as a client portal with work flow management and document storage.

Pros

Canopy is great to use to keep client information safe and secure. With such advancements in technology, it is imperative to have a platform like this where the information can be conveniently accessed by both the users and clients, active or archived... it's just great.

Cons

No difficulty at all... I just wish all clients will utilize this platform... I may have to require them to do so!

Response from Canopy

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback, Kailee

John
  • Industry: Accounting

Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time.

Reviewed on 2018/05/24

This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros

The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons

When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

Marshall
  • Industry: Legal Services

EA Support

Reviewed on 2022/12/15

I love it

I love it

Pros

Ease of use make it so it does not take alot of time to set up and follow

Cons

Not always designed to assist tax resolution out side norm

IRS Solutions Software

Ease and price
Marcy
  • Industry: Law Practice

Had the software for a few years it manages our whole practice.

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

practice managment

practice managment

Pros

Does many things very well. Love the e-sign option. Love the enhanced search by phone and email, billing has been very helpful, wonderful team, love this is cloud based.

Cons

Canopy undertakes a huge responsibility in providing so much for its users. However, there is some room for improvement. The transcripts are not reliable; the email feature doens't always stay connected and isn't reliable,mobile usage is hard for practitioner and client. Many things have been greatly improved upon. I would love to be able to brand my invoices with color and logo. How can we get clien'ts to sign in sometimes they never sign in and that a shame.

Amy

Best Tax Account Software

Reviewed on 2023/01/05

I love the program as do my clients, and suggest the software to my collegues.

I love the program as do my clients, and suggest the software to my collegues.

Pros

I love the client portal as well as the transcript feature. My clients like the ease and security of the portal, and being able keep all their documents in one place is a wonderful feature.

Cons

Recently the request transcript tool is not working when trying to request new updated transcripts.

Response from Canopy

Thank you for your feedback, Jamie!

We'd like to make the product as functional as possible. Make sure to contact your Customer Representative about the Transcripts feature, they should be able to troubleshoot it for you!

Shellsea

Canopy is Great

Reviewed on 2022/12/08

very satisfied as this has added a lot of value to our company very quickly.

very satisfied as this has added a lot of value to our company very quickly.

Pros

Document storage and sharing is easy as clicking on button. clients being able to pay online and having the ability to track time and easily add it to an invoice is very important to us.

Cons

There are a lot of features that could be added to make the software much better for us and working with the support team they say that features will be added however its been over a year an none of the features we need have been added. fingers crossed.

Ann

New to Canopy

Reviewed on 2021/11/29

It took a little longer than expected to set up, but the implementation team always got back to me and helped me sort out my issues.

Pros

I've transferred all my tasks that I used to have on a big spreadsheet to Canopy tasks and organizing them has been so easy. I love the ability to make custom views of the tasks so I can make sure I am working on the most important things.

Cons

The one thing I really liked about my old document management software was that I could view the files offline on my computer. It made it so easy to work with the files. I haven't seen that with Canopy.
I also liked how my tax software, Proseries, could import the tax returns directly into my old document management system, but I will be able to print them into Canopy, so it won't be too much different.

Ronald

Canopy is a Power for My Business

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

Solving fast paced production needs, particularly against short deadlines.

Solving fast paced production needs, particularly against short deadlines.

Pros

The client portal system allows for high level encryption and immediate availability of necessary documents with particular emphasis on Transcript retrieval - wonderful to work with on source document retention and back checking transcripts to ensure accuracy in reports/returns.

Cons

The documents needs to be searched chronologically and does not allow separate folders for organization.

Kristin
  • Industry: Legal Services

Client Management Solution

Reviewed on 2021/12/08

Very easy process in signing up. Went a long time without the need for upgrade so I was able to fully try the system before buying.

Pros

My clients enjoy the portal and state it is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. I also enjoy the transcript service as it makes pulling new transcripts very fast.

Cons

I wish the software allowed for integration with Outlook. I would like to be able to send an email through Outlook and have the email automatically posted to my client's account. I use the software for case management so this is necessary to outline steps in the case so I do a lot of copy and pasting.

• Industry: Accounting

IRS transcripts at the push of a button!!

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

Canopy is always upgrading and improving their software based on constant user feedback.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup a new client in this software. Once set up, it's one click to get IRS transcripts downloaded for my review. This saves me at least an hour each week in comparison to the software I used to use.

Cons

There's really nothing to dislike about this software. It does what it says it will do and it saves me time.