GitPrime Reviews

GitPrime

Metrics for software engineering management

4.8/5 (6 reviews)
Mike T.

Increases my ability to make confident performance decisions. A must have to data driven teams.

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Data. Period. Data that I can use to operate my teams.

Pros

GitPrime increases my ability to make confident decisions about performance, and it allows me to do so much more quickly. I no longer have to rely on larger more abstract mechanisms or my gut only, now I can validate or invalidate it with data.

The ability to drive after goals using team based data and/or individual based data allows me to customize how I want to use it across my teams. I also love how it easily and readily gives me coaching opportunities to take to a 1:1 with a team member.

Cons

It's impossible to include all business context into the algorithms GitPrime uses and I'd love a way to have a "journal" of sorts both for individuals and teams that allow documentation of that context over time. Additionally, goals coupled with notifications and updates on goals would be a great improvement.

Aaron S.

New Relic for An Engineering Team

Reviewed on 2017/11/29

Data and metrics on engineering team performance that aid in efforts to ramp up, develop, and retain engineering talent.

Pros

GitPrime peels back the curtain and exposes a wealth of metrics around the productivity and behavior of your engineering team. This allows everything from getting a great 10,000 ft view to diving into a specific team member. We've effectively used the tool to evaluate the impact (or lack of impact) of process/cultural changes, check in on team member performance and evaluate how new team members onboard and ramp up.

Cons

The metrics and charts only provide part of the picture. The software is best used in conjunction with your own intuition. For example, there may be non-alarming explanations for decreases in productivity (e.g. increase of PTO in the summer). Also I wish some of the charts had the ability to graph longer time periods.

James M.

Fantastic tool for understanding you developer team's work

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Pros

At my previous startup we were early users of GitPrime and it's fantastic to watch this product evolve. Although we were only a small team of 2-3, we got a lot of value from GitPrime's stats and analysis. It really helped us to see where we were spending our time and assess the effects some of our decisions had on our code base. We found it to be great for management and for personal development and analysis of our work patterns.

The team at GitPrime were always super responsive to any feedback we had and even sought to understand how some of the product colours looked to me being colour blind..

Cons

I would like to use the product in some smaller projects as the stats are quite interesting and useful to assess how I'm working as a developer, but unfortunately the pricing isn't catered to this at the moment - hopefully soon!

Jim M.

Great tool for highlighting best engineering practices and setting goals on getting there.

Reviewed on 2018/01/08

Although expensive for small groups, fact-based conversations that result in better engineering is worth a lot.

Pros

It is all about focus. Choosing just 3 metrics to track (there's hundreds) fosters conversations focused on fixing work processes and doing the right things. It is hard to argue with facts. After a few cycles, select 3 new metrics. Take gitprime up on data walkthroughs, really helps navigate through the metrics.

Cons

Finding and tailoring 3 metrics for the team to track is sometimes challenging. Hard to benchmark against outside projects (apples vs oranges). Gitprime is awesome listening to new ideas though, and letting you know what's on the roadmap.

John S.

Great product for effective collaboration!

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

GitPrime has been very effective for our team. It's easy to use and very powerful and has increased efficiency!

Hard to drive adoption to engineering teams

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

GitPrime offers helpful visualizations that add transparency to the development process.

Cons

GitPrime's designed for management, so it's hard to convince actual developers to use it.

6.0/10