Website Toolbox Reviews

Cloud-based community forum platform

4.4/5 (56 reviews)

Forum User only

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

They respond to support requests in a reasonable amount of time. They resolve issues on their end quickly. Communicating with my users has helped smooth a lot of potential issues.

Pros

It was relatively easy to set up and works (mostly) seamlessly. Does very nice job of setting up PayPal subscription accounts for paid forum features. Also tracks when users respond to a post and e-mails me.

Cons

Occasional glitches. Was throwing users out of paid access for a while but customer service fixed that promptly. Sometimes a customer cannot sign in and the issue resolves itself in a day but i can never tell if it was a user error or temporary software glitch. It has a lot of action logging features that I don't have time to play with.

Many features are over my head (and available time) to install or implement. You can blame that on my head and lack of time, or on the software not being as user-friendly as it could be. I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Access issues for a visually disabled user. Maybe this is beyond anyone's capacity to fix but I have a visually disabled user who is unable to consistently access the forum. Has to do with her text reading software not able to pick up click boxes and the like. I think that a tech would need to sit down with her at her computer to adequately understand the access issue. I suspect this is commonplace.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Larry!

Thanks for the 5-star review! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been easy for you to set up and that you're earning money from your forum through our Paid Access feature!

If you ever decide that you want to explore the more advanced features a bit more, try our help center for detailed guidance. Even better, just live chat, call, or email us anytime and we'd be glad to walk you through it!

Thanks!

LOVE Website Toolbox!

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

Our website forum is integral to our sales. As customers post photos on our forum it encourages others to buy the product. The forum provides a great customer community. It includes members from all around the world.

Pros

The number one thing I love about Website Toolbox is the ease of integrating a forum into my website. The forum sits on their servers so there's no software or maintenance required on my end. In addition their team will work closely with you to ensure your forum looks exactly like your website. Plus the flat monthly fee includes unlimited image storage which is so important to us since we cater to woodworkers and almost every post includes images. Website Toolbox is continually improving and upgrading the software which I love.

Cons

I don't have any negatives. One feature I'd love to see in the future would be a built in translator for foreign language posts and for members from different countries to be able to view the forum in their native language.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi there!

Thanks for your awesome 5-star review! There's nothing that makes us happier than seeing "love" in all capital letters! :)

Built-in translation of user's posts to another user's current language is a fantastic suggestion. Thanks for that! We will add it in the future.

Note that users can see the forum in their own language. The forum automatically detects the language that the user speaks and displays the forum in that language. 12 different languages are supported, and we can add any other language upon request. This is supported in any forum theme created within the last 2 years.

Reliable and flexible, with good customer support.

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

I run a discussion forum connected with a website. I have found the platform to be completely stable, and whenever I have had a technical query it has been quickly resolved.

Pros

Ease of use, and flexibility, offering both Forums and Guestbooks. Very good customer support via online chat and email.

Cons

Limited range of design templates, some a bit dated now.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi David!

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you loved our support and found Website Toolbox to be easy to use, reliable, and flexible.

Please check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. A while before that we launched the Angela and Modern Elegance themes. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. All of the new themes have huge design improvements. Definitely take a look!

We've also launched the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

So easy. So much customer support. Far less expensive than any other supported Discussion Forums.

Reviewed on 12/7/2017

A simply excellent Discussion Forum to go with our Online Courses. We can set up separate discussion forums for separate courses.

Pros

Our non-profit, community education organization researched about ten Discussion Forums before we found the wonderful Website Toolbox. All the rest are either too expensive for us to even consider, or free but totally unsupported and confusing, or have very confusing demos.

In contrast, Website Tool Box provides a clear demo and a full feature free trial that has been so easy to set up, use and customize. The cost is less than per month instead of getting charged high by other supported Discussion Forums. We have been able to make our Discussion Forum confidential for use by students. We have found it to be well organized into Headings, categories, sub categories, topics and replies so we can set up separate Discussion Groups for separate courses. Our students who have been testing the forum find it easy to use and easy to follow. Ideal for groups of students taking a course together to use for high quality confidential discussions, as well as posting and giving each other feedback on assignments. The support provided by the Help Centre documentation, the live Chat Function and the Email questions and answers is simply amazing.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for those kind words Linda! I'm so happy to hear that Website Toolbox has provided an excellent experience for the students in your courses, while also being super affordable! We're here to support you each step of the way. Good luck!

Website Toolbox

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

The overall platform has worked well for what we needed. I did have a period of time that users were unable to login and our forum was inactive for about a month. Besides the few small glitches I have had, it has been a great product and the customer service works hard to solve your issues.

Pros

The customer service is amazing. They're always quick to respond and handle your issues.

Cons

Functionality can, at times, be unstable if you embed into a Wordpress site. You cannot use your theme builder to change the page or the code will be damaged. All design of the page must be handled through Website Toolbox.
This may not be an issue for other site builders.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your wonderful comments! We definitely do strive to have amazing customer support!

Thanks for reporting the issue regarding not being able to use the WordPress theme builder without it damaging your embed code. I've escalated that to our Quality Assurance team for investigation. Can you contact our support team regarding this at https://www.websitetoolbox.com/contact so that they can discuss with you if they have any difficulty reproducing the issue? Thanks!

Two Forums

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

The experience has been good with Website Toolbox is just a shame that Facebook has pretty much done away with forums.

Pros

Very easy to use and looks professional.

Cons

It’s been around for a long time and could stand an update.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your feedback Wayne! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been easy to use and looks professional.

Definitely do check out our new Classic and Material themes for a fresh and modern look for your forum. We have a new theme called Minimal coming soon, along with others called Classic, Compact, and Lights Out to follow shortly after.

We're constantly updating all aspects of the forum and admin area. You can always check here for the latest updates: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/blog/whats-new-504

Facebook is great for short-form comments, but it's not really ideal for long-form discussions, owning your own content, improving SEO, monetizing your community, privacy of your users and data, or customizing the appearance. Forums are still the best!

Great Forum

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

I use my forum as a support service for my non-fiction how-to books. I use to run online classes using Moodle. But it was technically cumbersome. If I wasn't semi-retired, I would definitely explore the possibility of using a forum from this service for paid online classes.

Pros

I have owned 2 Yahoo Groups for a good number of years. But I am now moving my discussion groups to this service. The tech support is great and the features are far superior to what Yahoo offers. I like having the ability to exclude advertising which I find very distracting from the purpose of my forum.

Cons

I can't think of a thing that this service does not offer that I need.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your wonderful comments Don!

Forum

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

We just use it as a conversation and communication tool.

Pros

Able to have different topics and subjects.

Cons

Not easy to get a list of users so a mass email can be sent.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been useful for your group.

You can email your users through the admin area by going to the Users -> Email section. If you click on the View Email Addresses link, it'll even give you a full list of the email addresses in case you want to use a different email system to email the users.

Alternatively, you can download your entire members list in the Content -> Export section of the admin area. You can open it up in a spreadsheet program or even in a database.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this process.

5.0/10

Feedback

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

Pros

The ability to add HTML/CSS to format the look of the site to match own personal website.

Cons

The default layouts (aesthetically speaking). They look dated and have some CSS-clunkiness to them.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Nicholas!

Thanks for your 5-star review! I'm glad that you've been able to customize the forum to match your website.

Please check out our new themes called Classic, Playtime, Material, Angela, and Modern Elegance that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. We recent launched the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

Good for basic forum software

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

Pros

Inexpensive, yet had the basics we needed. Fairly easy to use out of the gate.

Cons

Interface seemed a little outdated, but this didn't affect how I used it.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Sean,

It's great to hear that you think Website Toolbox is great value for the money and that it was easy to use from the get go.

Please check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months for a fresh new interface. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact.

This year we're also planning to launch a complete redesign of the admin area!

The Hyperacusis Network

Reviewed on 10/28/2018

Good way for people all over the world to communicate.

Pros

Ease of use, architecture of the message board.

Cons

Cost and customer support. There is no phone number to call when help is needed.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your feedback! It's awesome to hear that Website Toolbox has been easy for you to use!

We do provide phone support. Our phone number is published on our contact page: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/contact/. The phone number is 1-800-921-7803. We also provide live chat and email support. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

7.0/10

Excellent upgrade from our last forum

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

Overall we are very pleased with Website Toolbox!

Pros

The ease of set up and online subscription payment.

Cons

I really wish there were push notifications when posts are made.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your 5-star review! I'm glad that the subscription payments feature has been earning you some money!

Your users can choose to be notified via email when any new post occurs, when a topic they post in has a new reply, or when topics that they follow have new replies. This is a great way for them to stay engaged with the forum. We're also working on in-forum notifications of those events as well, just in case users would rather not receive email notifications.

If you'd like to set up something more advanced or creative, like SMS (mobile text message) or browser push notifications, you can use our webhooks feature to develop that functionality.

Please contact our support team if you need any assistance with setting those things up.

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

Pros

The speed with which it is set up.
The access to chat support is one of the reasons I am still here

Cons

Lack of self-produced themes
Icon issues EVERY update.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Steven,

I'm glad to hear that you've loved our chat support and speedy set up!

Please email me details regarding how you'd like to produce your own theme. Is that via writing all the CSS from scratch, or do you envision a different process? Your feedback will help us understand your needs better so that we can build the right thing.

Also let me know what icon issue you're facing during updates and I'll be glad to look further into that for you.

6.0/10

Great forum software for small businesses

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

The Website Toolbox forum provides access for our users to discuss clinical issues and questions pertaining to our services.

Pros

Website Toolbox provides a long list of features for their forum software at a great price. Customer support is always quick to assist if we have any questions.

Cons

Would like more options for color/theme of forum.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Mark!

Thanks for your flattering review!

Great Forum Providor

Reviewed on 11/6/2018

WT has been responsive to any problems. Great experience as we enter out 10th year with them.

Pros

This has a great administrative section with easy to follow instructions. Easy to assign moderators.

Cons

Not much I don't like. Great management!

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Tim!

Thanks so much for being with us for a decade. Wow, that's amazing! Congratulations on a flourishing forum!

Better than most forums, but still not ideal

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

Good, quick support. Annoying that the last few things take so long.

Pros

Ease of set up, ease of use, easy navigation - the forum scrolls to the right post for you. Way easier to start using than forums like Phpbb, both as an admin and as a visitor. Editing tools are very complete, posting pictures and video is super easy. Messaging works great, too. Lots of features that I don’t even use - like sharing from the forum to social media.

Cons

That necessary adjustments to the code sometimes take a long time to get fixed. I have had several requests that were met quickly, which was great. The last few seem to go unresolved. But they are important too.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Kitty,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! It's awesome to hear how Website Toolbox is working great for you.

The process of making changes to the system does take time sometimes due to it having to be thoroughly tested to ensure that there are no unintended consequences to the forum. Feel free to give us a little nudge by replying to your support ticket and we'll update you on the status of your request!

A Solid Forum Platform

Reviewed on 10/26/2018

The forum is a place for our users to share ideas and ask questions about how to use our product. It works really well for that.

Pros

Website Toolbox is easy to setup, easy for users to interact with and is a very reliable tool for hosting our online forum.

Cons

Some of our users struggle with more advanced features like adding in photos but this is typical of all forums that I use.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that your forum was easy to set up, is easy for your users to interact with, and has proven to be reliable over the last 2 years you've been with us!

We're constantly looking for ways to make the forum even more easy to use. We'll investigate how we can make photo uploading even more user-friendly. Thanks for your feedback.

6.0/10

Customer service

Used Weekly for 1+ year

I like it.

Pros

I like the ease of use But I have found the cuztomer service to be the best part of websits toolbox.

Cons

The template (theme) I chose is limited. And I do t want to change it but it will not allow me to add links.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback, and your wonderful comments regarding our customer service and ease of use.

You can follow these instructions to add links to the navigation menu of your forum: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/adding-a-link-to-the-navigation-menu-616

Please also check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. Next week we'll also be launching the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

Great and simple product for creating forum

Reviewed on 10/29/2018

Ive been a website toolbox subscriber for many years, I find it easy to use and once you get your forum setup, it just runs flawlessly.

Pros

Ease of use and ability to quickly setup a forum

Cons

I really cannot find anything I dont like about it.

Easy to use, quick setup, affordable

Reviewed on 10/30/2018

I have been using Website Toolbox for 4-5 years and have been very happy with it. The few times I needed customer service, they were responsive and fixed the issue. I highly recommend this software and would make the same decision to use it again.

Pros

I love how quick and easy it was to setup my private member site using Website Toolbox. I simply could not believe it after I wasted a lot of time trying various plugins for my WordPress site.

Cons

I would love to see Website Toolbox integrate additional payment gateways and options for paid memberships.

A none IT person in IT land

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

This is not a business, but a forum for Motorhome owners and the overall experience is excellent.

Pros

It is generally easy to use, I have a few issues now and then ably fixed by the team.

Cons

I am using a quite old theme which my members like, and our wants and needs are sometimes impossible to fill.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your 5-star review and your flattering comments!

I'd definitely recommend giving one of our newer themes a try. They are much more feature rich!

Easy to build Forum Tools

Pretty damn good. It's always up. Help is fast at hand. Thumbs up

Pros

The ease of website integration and daily use.

Cons

Not enough options for user to express themselves with buttons.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your wonderful comments regarding the ease of website integration, uptime, and support.

Can you provide some more details regarding what buttons you're looking for so that users can express themselves? Do you mean post reactions like angry, sad, laughing, etc?

Very limited usability and scope for further development

None

Pros

Not much at all, other than the fact it’s a forum platform ... we inherited the forum and without the abiliry to migrate it - it’s totally useless

Cons

The software is very limited in scope for firther advancement of your forum... it’s like the shopify of forum software.. limited advancement, no ability to integrate skins/theams etc etc compared to great platforms like machine forums... and there simply isn’t any way to migrate the forum to a different platform

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback! You can instantly export all of your forum data in the Content -> Export section of your account. You can then migrate to any other forum platform at any time.

We're constantly adding new features and functionality. Please see this page for all the recent updates: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/blog/whats-new-504

We provide multiple themes and an easy theme editor for customizing those themes. You can also use CSS to completely customize the themes and even create your own theme. Please see this support article for instructions on how to do that: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/customizing-your-theme-214

2.0/10

Wish I could give it 10 stars

Reviewed on 2/7/2017

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely 0 experience in coding of any sort. The website I built for my community was easier than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Every single time I ran into an issue I messaged the live support team (Austin) and he responded instantly ever time with a solution. The price is also fits my budget I'm surprised of how cheap it was actually for having 17 hour live support every day. Thanks for all the help my website looking better than I ever expected!

Pros

Easy to set up the website with 0 experience and 24 hour live support

Cons

Thought this one through and I have nothing negative to say

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Colton! We should put that on our marketing material! "Easier than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!" I love it! Thanks so much for the kind words. I also agree that our support team is amazing! They definitely deserve a raise!

Have a fantastic day!

Easy to setup and get going

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

We moved from another bbs software platform and it was easy to setup and get running.

Pros

It has the basic features you would want in a bbs system, easy to set up and get up and running.

Cons

Some limited options with customizing the look and feel. Newer software has more features.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you found Website Toolbox to be easy to use and set up.

Please check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. Next week we'll also be launching the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.