Venmo Reviews

Venmo

Digital wallet & mobile payment gateway

4.8/5 (1988 reviews)
Aman S.

Best for everything

Reviewed on 2019/09/09

Overall experience with Venmo is great. It is best for both personal and professional money exchange.

Pros

This is a paypal product and we all know about PayPal. The product have all the creatures of PayPal and in addition to that it offers several benefits as well. The feature that I like the most is the offers and cash back rewards which are very frequent and recurring. This product helped me a lot and saved me hundreds of dollars.

Cons

The product is very well overall but this is not an acceptable form of payment everywhere. Small businesses and companies, sores etc are not able to process the payments which went through Venmo. They should expands their reach.

Anne L.

MUST HAVE SOFTWARE!!!

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

VENMO CHANGED MY LIFE. Paying friends, student groups, organization, small businesses have never been easier.

Pros

Ok - if there is a software that I can say that TRUELY changed my life, it would be Venmo. Venmo is such an easy software to use to transfer money between people. Whether it be splitting the bill between coworkers or completing business transactions, Venmo is the #1 app. Forget Paypal - Venmo trumps all. No one carries cash anymore... Venmo has been an integral part of fundraising at Cal (and in my daily life). My organization and other student groups on campus use Venmo to collect payment for things that we sell on campus - such as food, stickers, trinkets, etc.

Cons

I wish there were business profiles for Venmo. For example, small businesses and organizations could create business profiles that many members of the organization can access so there can be more transparency with the funds.

Ankush K.

Venmo Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

I think it's fun and feels safe to use Venmo for your everyday transactions. Also, I love the ios version as you can integrate it with Siri and ask Siri to do transaction for you which is a great feature I think. I'm excited to use the feature of group transactions which they are going to launch soon I think.

Pros

Its effortless to do transactions on Venmo and it's the best option I can think of considering the fact there are so many alternatives. The free version almost offers most of the features you need for everyday transactions. It's well integrated with other apps like Splitwise which is a great feature as you can clear Splitwise balances using Venmo and I use that every day almost. Transactions using Venmo are really instant and safe.

Cons

I wish they had less fees if you do transactions using your Credit card. Also default settings shares your transactions public which I think default should be disabled. I'm looking forward to use globally like with any bank account and any mobile number not just US which I don't think is supported at the moment.

Tommy S.

Venmo is an absolute essential!

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

My overall experience with Venmo has been amazing. Never have had any issues or problems with using the software. It’s constantly being updated and I just really can’t emphasize enough how much better it is than any other products I’ve looked into.

Pros

I love using Venmo to get paid and to pay others! It’s so easy and simple to use and the best part about it is that it’s free! Free to sign-up and free to send and receive money. A lot of other softwares make you pay fees to receive money and even send it which is totally annoying. With Venmo, I can get paid and transfer the money to my bank account totally free, and if I need to get the money instantly, then I can pay a small 1% fee to instantly transfer the funds into my account. Look no further, Venmo is a great option for handling funds!

Cons

The only thing I can say about Venmo as constructive criticism is that it would be so helpful if you could pay yourself! As a small business that accepts payment through Venmo, it’d be so nice to be able to pay myself from my business account to my personal checking. Other than that, I really think this software is awesome!

Venmo is a TOP Choice to Send Money

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

I use this app weekly for small payments and paybacks here and there. Sometimes a client asks to use this app instead of any other payment source so being able to track that is imperative. I have never had an issue with my funds with this app and that makes me feel secure and happy to keep using the app. I use it even more than paypal, cashapp or any other payments received app.

Pros

I've been using Venmo for years now and the main things I like about the app are ease of use and low/no fees. I constantly have people ask me if I use Venmo which means mainstream adoption. Its easy to send payments to others or receive them, especially with the QR code. And I've never had an issue with the app or transfer of funds. I love how funds are instant transactions and quickly done in a few moments time.

Cons

I feel it could use some more features such as transaction history, download .csv files and I don't feel the community feature really adds anything to the software itself. Literally no reason for it in my opinion. Perhaps allowing to buy, accept or transfer cryptocurrencies would be good (like Cash app does). I've heard rumors of limiting the amount of received funds in a month and some accounts have been blocked for this?

Virginia B.

Convenient, entertaining, FREE, and fast

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

Pros

Did you know the root of the word convenient actually stems from the Latin word “ven”? That’s exactly what Venmo is. And the inspiration behind the name Venmo actually came from the word vendo/vendere; the Latin word “to sell”. Venmo is one of my favorite apps, I use on a daily basis. It has served as a lifesaver to me on many occasions when I did not have my wallet or cash in hand. You can transfer money to someone else almost instantly and will receive a notification when they have accepted the transaction, so you don’t have to wonder. Transfers from your Venmo to your banking account will show up as quickly as the next business day (as long as it doesn’t fall on the weekend or a holiday). One of the best features of Venmo is that you are not charged a transaction fee when you transfer money between your banking account using a debit card. But, the best part is the free entertainment… If you ever want a little laugh, go and take a look at some of the reasons other people have used Venmo. It’s pretty funny (especially over the weekends). If you are looking for a free, entertaining alternative to PayPal, Venmo will definitely satisfy your needs.

Cons

If your Venmo account is connected to a credit card you will be charged a small fee when you make transfers between the two. I would not necessarily see this as a fault in Venmo because you still have the free option available to you by using a debit card.

Nicholas S.

Pay People on the Go (The Young Generation's Go To)

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Overall, Venmo has been able to capture the cashless market among family and friends (instead of writing checks). I think they'll continue to own that market as long as they keep making payments easy and free (minus the cards of course).

You can sync your bank account to add funds/make payments without fees, but I know some people don't trust it.

Pros

Venmo makes sending money to your friends, family or even strangers totally seamless. In fact, there are very few people I know that don't have Venmo. It allows you to request payment from someone (because someone always doesn't pay) and it allows you to make payment from your Venmo Balance, Bank Transfer (No Fee) or your Credit/Debit Card (fee). All essentially painless.

While the feature is more for fun, I love that you can write whatever memo/emoji/etc you want in the notes section of the payment. When I see some payments hit my main feed (you can choose to keep your payments private), I love seeing the stuff people send eachother in the notes.

Cons

My biggest Gripe with Venmo is that they hit you with a fee for Credit/Debit Card payments. I get why it exists, because they have to pay the fee on their side, but it feels wrong when you need money.

There is also NO seller/buyer protection in the system. They advise you to only send $$ to people you know or trust. I've heard of cases where people pay with Venmo for a product and then realize the product is broken. They have no recourse for the funds at that point, so keep that it mind.

Also, the only way to fund without fees is by attaching your bank account. Something about leaving my account tied to the app worries me, but I know many of us do it anyway.

Venmo is Modern

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Overall my experience with Venmo has been convenient and I use it frequently. I think it is kind of cool how it literally brings people together because people will stand together and huddle around their phones sharing user names and get all excited and cheer when the payment goes through.

Pros

Venmo is such a convenient and modern way to send money. Rather than having to stop by the ATM to get cash anymore to pay a friend, it is possible to do it right from your fingertips by simply downloading the app and linking it to your bank/debit card. I love Venmo because my friends and I are always paying for each other or buying things from each other, and in group settings there's no more excuse for that one friend who always says they "don't have cash" anymore as an excuse! I feel like Venmo keeps things fair and quick and easy. I love that you can instantly pay someone and that you can receive cash, and use that balance to pay others or transfer it quickly to your banks. I also enjoy the social media aspect and the "timeline" keeps things interesting and makes you feel like you are connected and are able to see what other's have been up to! On the flip side, I appreciate that there is an option to keep your payment private. I also think it's cute we must leave a reason for the payment, because I find people utilize that as a way to leave a sweet note for a friend too! Overall I think Venmo is the modern way to pay, and really decreases the need to stop by the ATM. Super convenient and I always recommend this to my friends and family to keep things simple!

Cons

Sometimes the requirement to list the reason for the payment is a little bit annoying because once you have typed the amount a user's next instinct is to just hit "send" but then you are stopped and the flow gets interrupted since we have to write why. I usually just leave an emoji or something random or a cute note for the friend if I am in the mood. It is not major, but it does get annoying when you just want to pay someone and move on in the flow. Also I'm not sure why it's anyone's business to know what the payment is for!

Jason H.

Well done!

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Overall, I love that it solves a problem that was never really a problem. Writing a check to a friend or going to get cash for them is really not a big deal, but the second they ask me if I have a Venmo, it solves the problem of that slight inconvenience. That is the thing that it does best. Make sure that you remember that and keep that in front of your audience.
Security is also HUGE. If you ever have a slip in that department, I predict it will be the end of your company. As a consumer, I am trusting, but uninformed when it comes to your security measures. It might be a good idea to educate your customers as well as potential clientele.

Pros

Frankly, Venmo is too easy to use. I really and going to have a hard time being critical because for some reason, out of all of the apps out there that do basically the same thing, Venmo is the one that all of my friends and family are comfortable using. It was not difficult to set up. I mean that. If my mother-in-law can do it without calling me for tech support, than it is easy to do. It makes sharing the cost of other services like Youtube TV so easy, and the icing on the top of the cake is that it is free. I don't know how, but that is absolutely the best thing about this service. Well done!

Cons

I don't see much of a point to the social networking side of the software. It is great and often funny to see what family and friends will type up for the money they send me, but I see no need for the rest of my contacts to have access to those 3-4 word notes. They don't ultimately add any value to anyone else's life. I don't really care if the messaging it is there or not. To me it is just white noise.
Also, I am sure that the Venmo credit card is a huge money maker for your service, but I am not nor will I ever be interested in a credit card that won't be accepted absolutely everywhere. If it is accepted everywhere, than I am woefully uninformed and it might be a good idea to promote where you can use it in your next ad campaign.

Cheyanne S.

Great app for sending and receiving money!

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

I have been able to use Venmo both for personal use and my small business use with ease. I can both send and receive money without being charged for each transaction, as I did with Square. The only time I have to pay to use Venmo, is if I want money instantly transferred into my bank account.

Pros

This software is very user friendly. It is easy to search, and find people to send money to or from. I like that you are able to leave notes with the payment, or payment request. I also like the speed that this app operates. You can request money be transferred to you bank, either for free (1-3 business days), or instantly (for a 1% charge). It's easy to switch between your saved payment methods. The customer service is great. I sent money to an old account, that was not accessible, and customer support helped me get the money sent delivered to the correct account.

Cons

The only downfall to this app is their customer service. When I needed to change the account I sent money to by mistake, it took them about a week to get the money delivered to the correct account, with myself and the recipient both reaching out.

Jacob G.

Review of Venmo

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Overall, Venmo has been a life changing app for me. It makes settling up and tracking costs super easy and exact. I look forward to seeing it rolled out on a commercial level to the point where it can be used to buy lunch at a restaurant or a beer at the bar. China is way ahead with digital payments technology through Alipay and even Kenya has wider adoption of digital payments with something called M-PESA. Venmo can lead the way in this space in the world's richest economy.

Pros

Venmo is an amazing payments solution for the modern age of personal finance. Really look forward to seeing Venmo grow into becoming a commercial payments solution, but for the time being it's utility resides in the person to person transactions. The Venmo app streamlines settling up costs in group situations at brunch for example or even splitting costs with your roommate.

Cons

Venmo has some pretty serious privacy concerns. Notably and unfortunately, many therapists accept payment via Venmo these days, but neglect to set there privacy settings to private. By default, all transactions (minus specific transaction amounts) are public unless the user changes there settings to private. In this example with therapists, this is a big HIPAA violation.

Easy to use, but bad security policies

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

This is an app that does something similar to Paypal. It allows you to send money in real-time. The transaction goes through pretty much instantly. You can send it to an account by using a phone number or email address. It also allows you to create a username for your account so that people can send money to you without you having to give up your private contact information. It is very useful to send and receive money, as society is now becoming more and more of a cashless society.

Cons

Please be aware, there are NO money-back guarantees like with Paypal. I got scammed once sending Venmo. I purchased some clothes from an Instagram designer, and he instructed me to Venmo him some money. We had one successful transaction in the past where I sent him money through Venmo and he mailed me clothes, so I thought he would send them again this time. Well, this time, he didn't send anything and started ghosting me. I contacted Venmo to try to get my money back. I was surprised when Venmo told me that once the receiver withdraws the money from their bank account, there is nothing they can do. This has put me off of using Venmo for transactions where I don't know the person. I will use Venmo now only between family and friends. Paypal has 100% guarantee with getting your money back in these situations. They will refund you if you get scammed. Venmo has no guarantees. Just be aware of this. I will ONLY use Paypal to make purchases now because of my experience.

Stacy M.

It just works!

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/10/15

My company runs events at several locations. There are times that my team members need money for expenses and Venmo is always our solution. For the most part it's free, unless you need immediate access to your money, which then there is a small fee. Plus, I've found some people actually prefer to use PayPal, or in this case Venmo, as they feel they get buyer protection. Overall, this is a service we always have on reserve just in case!

Pros

Free! That's right, it's free. You can't argue with free. While there are other ways to move money between people, I find this to be the easiest. Plus, is mobile, so you can take it with on your smartphone!

Cons

It does work off of the Paypal system, and while it, works for some people, it won't for others. I wouldn't recommend this a a payment gateway for most businesses, but it does work well in a crunch.

Venmo Honest Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

Overall I will use Venmo no matter what. It's an amazing app and has solved a huge problem in my life.

Pros

Venmo has completely gotten rid of the language of "can you spot me?" The idea of borrowing money from a friend because you forgot your wallet or were short on cash has completely been removed. Now I am able easily pay friends when checks have been split or there is a cost that I would like to contribute to.

Also as a freelance photographer this makes payments from clients so much easier. Receiving large payments and paying large payments have become so easy.

Cons

There are only a few cons. Whenever logging into the application it is incredibly slow. A lot of the times I have to wait to load friends name when requesting or paying money. At times it would shut down the app because it's frozen.

Also, there is a cap on how much money you're able to send per week. Although this isn't much of a problem on a daily basis when making large purchases or having large events it's a bit of a hassle having to wait an entire week in order to complete my payments.

Julia C.

Perfect money-sharing app for the age of no cash

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

Can't imagine life without it. Used incredibly often because it is so practical and easy to use. Would recommend for anyone!

Pros

I use this app daily for so many different reasons. It makes it so easy to pay back friends, split bills, and keep track of a group's payments. In this day and age many people do not carry cash with them, and this app makes it easy to pay back a friend if they are covering a bill for you, or pay someone without needing your cash or card on you! We use it for clubs I'm involved in to collect money for merchandise, I use it with my roommates to split bill payments, and I use it daily with friends to cover food or Uber rides that were paid for by others. Beyond easy to use, and also easy to transfer the money to your bank account!

Cons

I would like a feature to request the same amount of money from multiple people all at once- if I am splitting a bill, I'd like to be able to send it to the same group of roommates that I do every month, and request the same amount from each of them instead of completing multiple requests!

Did I say network effects?

Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Overall... Venmo is acceptable for consumer, P2P use cases — but has ways to go in terms of merchant adoption and true B2C solutions especially compared with Asian digital payments services.

Pros

The main reason why I use Venmo is because everyone else I know uses it, at least in the US and for peer-to-peer transactions—i.e. network effects.

I like how they've implemented the "scan code" feature to help solve for the pain point of scrambling to find which variant of someone's name is the person you're trying to pay in real life.

The activity feed of friends' payments also ends up being a source of guilty entertainment, and likely was the main reason why Venmo was able to acquire users faster and supercharge network effects compared to other, frankly better-designed competitors.

Cons

Oof... well Venmo is far behind a lot of payment players in Asia. There's very limited merchant payment functionality/adoption, even though I know Venmo has been starting to make nascent moves in that direction. Lack of NFC or touch payment/transfer functionality is also something that other payment players have that Venmo doesn't. Furthermore, you can only remind people about unfulfilled payments once. I recognize that's probably to avoid annoyance, but implementing something like a time limit would be more effective.

Not For Just Personal Use - Work Too!

Reviewed on 2019/08/25

My overall experience with Venmo has been absolutely amazing and I would reccomend it to anyone who may be looking for such a service. It truly does a great job to make a troublesome thing into something seamless.

Pros

What I really like about Venmo is truly how it tackles an issue that is not just present in people's personal lives but rather everywhere. Venmo has been super useful at work too because there are many times when I must split costs for projects and work-related things with my colleagues and handling cash can be a hassle. Venmo truly makes this a seamless process because even if everyone has different banks that they use, they can all set it up with Venmo so that everyone can get paid. What I also really like is how Venmo processes payments very quickly and I can easily see who paid who for what.

Cons

There are not many negatives that I can think of in regards to Venmo. However, I did find it a little frustrating at first how transactions were public by default. This meant that the transactions between my colleagues and I were initially public and could be seen by everyone. It wasn't until I turned it off that it finally became private and not seen by everyone else.

Erik K.

Venmo review

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

My overall experience has been very easy going and positive. I will continue to primary use it more than other financial software programs because of its ease and organizational format.

Pros

What I like most about Venmo is how easy it is to set up your bank information and managing transfers. I like that the software is very organized and user friendly.

Cons

What I like least about Venmo is that before I had changed my privacy settings, it was set to public, so everyone could see my transfers and finances before I had switched it to private. I think it should automatically just be private first and then have the option of changing it to public.

Chris W.

Venmo is a godsend in our office

Reviewed on 2019/06/11

Overall I love this product and will continue to advocate for its use. This makes moving money around easy and at minimal cost.

Pros

We often send 1 of our agents out on a lunch run. To many times one of us forgets our wallets or something, but with venmo that isn't an issue. I use it to send money to my son, I use it to send money to coworkers, I even got the card option and use it on a regular basis just as a means to control spending.

Cons

I've been an advocate for Venmo from the moment I downloaded it. My only issue so far with the product is that I was unable to use my venmo card overseas even at an ATM.

Kelsie J.

The Most Useful App on my Phone

Reviewed on 2019/06/15

Venmo is a regular part of my week. I give private tutoring sessions to a few local families who pay me using Venmo. I also like to keep my Venmo balance at a certain amount so that I can quickly split the check when I go out with friends or family. I have also just received the Venmo credit card which I plan to use as a budgeting method. I will add my budgeted "fun money" to my Venmo account each month.

Pros

I love the convenience of Venmo. I seldom have cash on me, but Venmo provides a way to pay your friends back instantly. I like the interface of the App as well. It is set up to where you can use emojis or text to specify why you are paying someone (sort of like the memo section on a check.) I also like the Venmo debit card option because now I can use money in my Venmo account anywhere MasterCard is accepted rather than just paying my friends.

Cons

I don't love the Facebook-styled timeline aspect. I don't really want to see who my random Facebook friends are paying and why. I would rather it be more like a private account, or at least have the option to hide the timeline. Another problem I have come across is paying someone's old account. A friend had deleted his Facebook account and created another one and also a new Venmo account without deleting his old account. I never did get the money back from the old account and ended up just paying him again.

Making Cash Even More Obsolete

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/31

Pros

Venmo is a cash transfer app owned by Paypal, another known cash transfer and management app. Venmo makes transferring funds even easier than its parent company and has revolutionized payments for merchants and social scenarios.

Adding sources of funds and funds to the application is very easy. Adding credit and debit cards is as simple as punching them in. Adding banks is also easy, as Venmo easily interfaces and verifies a connection to a bank in minutes. This allows you to get around certain credit card fees and to transfer directly into and from your bank account.

There is also added merchant support, where Venmo can be used to pay for payments on mobile stores, making it even easier to shop online.

there are also Venmo Mastercards now, where you can get a physical card that draws from your Venmo account. This has been a popular item for when friends go out to eat as one person can collect funds from everyone else and then immediate use those funds to pay for a meal on one card.

Cons

The web application for Venmo is laid out simply, and is slowly being phased out. You can no longer handle charges or transfer money on the web app, only the mobile app.

I'm also not a fan of some of the more social aspects of the platform. You must add a message to charge requests and payments. The app also encourages payments be shared, where they are collected on a timeline to be shown to friends.

Marcus H.

Making Group Lunches Easy

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

Overall, Venmo has been very easy to use. It has a very social aspect to it that garners attention of users leaving them with a want to continue to use the platform. It's super convenient and a form of financial expression.

Pros

Venmo is by far the most convenient way to organized group lunches without having to split bills. One person pays and everyone opens up their app, and within a few clicks they have paid their portion of the meal. This is extremely beneficial when you're not able to expense, yet your still out with large groups at restaurants that cannot perform multi person bill splitting.

Cons

Currently there isn't any drawbacks from using this service. Be aware though, Venmo is now charging a small percentage for instant transfers to card or bank accounts.

Kalin H.

Very Useful for Personal Transactions

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Venmo makes personal transactions extremely simple and convenient. This software completely eliminates the need for cash or checkbooks in making personal transactions with other people. The best part is that it works on your phone, meaning you have one less thing to carry around with you at all times. My pocket space is thankful for the invention of Venmo.

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use. I never worry about having to carry cash anymore because I can simply pay people electronically with Venmo. This software has become so widespread that most people have heard of it and have an account. This makes personal transactions of all types very smooth and simple. Even if making a transaction with a stranger, finding their profile is easy with the built-in personal QR code and scanner that the software includes.

Cons

Although I have used the software for a long time, I am still a little wary of it due to security issues I have heard about. One of my relatives had his account hacked and lost a decent amount of money, which he was not able to get back. While the software experience of the application is great, I would feel a lot more at ease if I knew the company had security that could eliminate the possibility of hacking. That or guaranteed insurance of funds would erase any hesitancy I have to recommend this software and company.

7.0/10
Lisa H.

The Best Way to Get Your Payback

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Venmo is easy to use for all ages. It's also the fastest way to transfer money between people. I recommend it to everyone, as it's the most accessible to all parties involved (versus the fees of banking apps, especially if you don't use that bank, etc.). It's been an amazing leader in digital disruption, indeed!

Pros

Venmo is a free, easy to use app for exchanging money quickly. Especially in a world ruled by credit cards, Venmo makes it easy for groups of people to even out whatever they owe for any kind of collective activity--a dinner, splitting the dry cleaning cost, a bachelorette/bachelor party, etc. Venmo also accommodates users by making the exchanges free and safe. Unlike bank apps of the same nature, money gets transferred almost instantly. You can also use money you haven't yet transferred to pay forward if you want.

Cons

I don't love the idea of seeing other people's payments to friends and vice versa. While it doesn't show the cost or anything, I don't really need to know that a friend from ten years ago paid someone else for a beer. There are ways to make your own exchanges private, which I use. I also imagine that the backend of what the data is used for could make my skin crawl, but that is true of nearly every application at this point in our lawless digital urbanization, corralled by capitalist cowboys.

Courtney W.

The Best Around

Reviewed on 2019/07/27

Pros

Venmo is my absolute favorite platform for sending and receiving money. It has a simple setup process and even provides you with a debit card if desired. Transfers to friends and from clients is fast and reliable. The app layout is intuitive and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

I don't always receive notifications when I get a payment. This can be an inconveince at times.