MerusCase

Encrypted online legal practice management solution

James G.

Fantastic File and Document Management Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

I am very happy with this program

Pros

The transfer of documents and client/file information from the two different programs we used prior to MerusCase was fast and much cheaper than other options. The software itself is very intuitive to use and navigate and easily adapted to mimic our paper filing system.

Cons

I don't love the email function, but we don't use it anyway.

Katharine R.
  • Industry: Legal Services

MerusCase allows my staff to work efficiently and collaborate easily, even internationally.

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

The simple interface and clear training session allowed me and my staff to become proficient in the software in a short amount of time. I love having the recording of our initial training session to give to new hires, so I spend almost no time training them directly on the software.

My staff have all contacted the support team and gotten clear, workable responses to their questions in minutes. That means they can get back to work quickly without having to wait for me to answer their questions or contact support for them.

MerusCase has all the features I needed for my small immigration firm. They work hard to make the product even better with each release. I'm looking forward to seeing even more benefits in the future!

Pros

I have used a few different case management software platforms, and what I like best about MerusCase is their customer support. They are quick to respond to my questions, and the front-line customer support team almost always answers my questions with one email. They can even make some changes directly to the software, something that previous companies did not offer.

The template creator is one of my favorite features. It is easy to use and allows me and my staff to quickly generate common letters, basic court filings, and other documents. This allows us to use our time and energy less on pure data entry and more on higher-level functions.

As an immigration lawyer, I appreciate having the immigration forms already organized into common filing packets. We also have a large volume of cases, and the workflow function allows us to automate certain reminders to make sure our cases are all moving forward on time.

I have staff in my office, across town, and overseas. With MerusCase, it's easy to upload documents, access case notes, and keep everyone on the same page.

Cons

Even though MerusCase has a number of powerful features from a time-tracking and billing perspective, I found it to be geared more for larger-sized law firms. Their support team was great and worked closely with me to answer all my accounting questions, but in the end, I decided to stick with my current billing software, since it fits my particular accounting method a bit better.

John S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Run by real people who know how law firms need to be organized

Reviewed on 2016/10/14

First and foremost, MerusCase is cloud based, which keeps from eating up the resources on my computer - which is pretty common these days - but I have also used some terrible on premise Matter Management systems throughout my career. From a managing attorney perspective I like the ability to monitor my teams data and activities and easily export them to excel. From a practitioner perspective - I love the integration that allow notes/activities and billable time to be easily recorded inline and alongside the interactions points with my clients... especially the tightly coupled email tools.

As for dislikes... I did have a tiny bit of a learning curve getting organized around how MerusCase organizes things. This was ultimately a benefit for my firm -- they provided some logical operational guidelines that actually made my team more efficient. So, I guess this is ultimately not a dislike -- it helped us out! -- but it did take several days of push back from my staff before we had an all-hands meeting and I had to tell them to get with the program.

In summary, MerusCase is great for running a growing firm. Aside from my word processor and iPhone, there's not much else I use on a daily basis. There are also a pretty big set of features I take for granted, like how it turns all my documents into PDFs automatically and has all of the court forms I regularly use integrated.

Finally, I haven't needed to call support much, but they seem to be pretty responsive. They also seem to be "real people" -- not faceless robots in a call center far away, which is a nice change.

Pros

Flexibility exists where I really need it, but the somewhat rigid organizational framework is a godsend for getting my staff to work together.

I also really like the subtle things. MerusCase has a lot of care in it, and I feel like there is personality in the error messages. They get how attorneys work.

Cons

Sometimes I have trouble because there is unexpected automation. For instance, the product de-duplicates my contacts automatically, which I found confusing when my rolodex items count didn't go up the first time I encountered the feature.

Response from Merus

Hi John! Thank you for your support! We're thrilled that you're enjoying MerusCase, and that you found the learning curve worth pushing through. We understand that, because MerusCase simply does so much, learning to use it can seem intimidating. However, as you mentioned, every component was designed to save you time, reduce your costs, and maximize your efficiency. Ultimately, we strive to empower each of our users with a dynamic suite of features, structures, and automations that will truly make life easier - and we're so glad it's working for you!

Good software, best customer support I've ever experienced anywhere

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

Form document management; ability to bring email into client's case, great calendaring system

Pros

Ease of use, form document management and merge functions, email coordination in cases. There's a lot to like. I tried MyCase and chose Merus instead, mainly because document creation and merge were so easy in Merus.

Cons

The documents placed in a file must be correctly tagged by subject (e.g Plaintiff Discovery Propounded) in order to be able to find them during a search. They do not reside in "folder", which is what most of us are accustomed to using in a Window's platform. The most important thing is getting staff to properly tag the document. So this is really not a con, just something that needs to be taught to Staff and followed by all.

Response from Merus

We¿re so happy that you love our Document Management Tools. Document Management is definitely a key differentiator that separates us from our competitors. Merus is designed to facilitate collaboration and coordination between all parties involved in a case. Activity Tags is one of the ways in which MerusCase ensures all parties can find case files easily. Unlike folders, which require clicking through each one, search for files with Activity Tags is much less time consuming.

We know that MerusCase can take some to get used to when you¿re switching over from another platform. For those reasons we take on-boarding seriously and are willing to take them time to walk everyone through all questions about our software. So thank you for giving a shout-out to our world-class Support Team, and for being a part of the MerusCase family!

David S.

05/05/2020 REVIEW OF MERUSCASE BY ATTORNEY David G. Schumaker

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

EXCELLENT. TIME SAVING. ALLOWS BETTER AND QUICKER ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND EASE OF MODIFICATIONS TO FORM LETTERS TO MEET SPECIAL NEEDS.

Pros

EASY DATA INPUT; ALL DATA IN MERUS CASE; EASE OF MOVING AROUND IN A CASE FROM STATUS, TO FORM LETTERS, TO PEOPLE IN CASE, TO CALENDAR, ETC.; FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL SUPPORT STAFF; CONTINUING EFFORTS TO UPDATE AND UPGRADE THE PROGRAM

Cons

NO CONS. BEST WORKERS' COMPENSATION CASE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE FOR APPLICANTS' ATTORNEYS AND FOR DEFENSE ATTORNEYS

Carrie B.

I needed a new template for the firm and Misha Prasolov helped create it so quickly was a huge...

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

Accessibility. Function use. Although with recent upgrades there are some features such as the calendar which were better before the upgrade.

Cons

The billing / invoicing keeps changing which is an issue on and off for our firm. Sometimes I feel that new roll outs actually hinder the process as we get staff used to using things and then they change.

Response from Merus

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We know you're busy, so we really appreciate it. And we'll be sure to let Misha know you got what you needed :)

We know that updates and improvements can sometimes disrupt an established workflow. We are always working hard to make MerusCase smarter and more efficient for you, based on our research and customer feedback. Don't hesitate to call us if ever you need help navigating those changes and upgrades. We're here for you!

Adam T.

MerusCase has been fundamental in our firm to streamline workflows

Reviewed on 2017/12/01

Pros

Support is always willing to listen to and implement feature requests which help to improve the platform making it even more robust and functional than it already is.

The email integration is the most used feature in our firm, it seamlessly allows our users to access and respond to emails direct from the case level ensuring that all communications are saved in the case file.

The centralized template directory allows our staff to quickly and easily create new documents in seconds, rather than formatting them manually.

Cons

People new to the system do require training during the on-boarding process because certain features of the program can be difficult to navigate/discover.

William B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

MerusCase is the Best Cloud-Based Legal Case Management System, Excellent Support

Reviewed on 2019/10/10

MerusCase has helped my firm be more productive.

Pros

MerusCase was easy to set up and is easy to use. Technical support and customer service are top notch. I can work from anywhere I have an internet connection.

Cons

There are some things I would like to customize.

Leanne U.

Very user Friendly.

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

I am able to perform all my task with ease and the ability to create future task reminders is a great tool to have.

Cons

Overall, everything has been good but I would like to have the ability to copy/paste the calendar link.

Response from Merus

Hi Leanne,

Thank you for letting us know how Merus has been instrumental in helping you organize and remind you about future tasks. If you haven¿t already, we hope you¿ll check out our Workflow feature (https://docs.meruscase.com/guides/tools/automation-settings.html) which allows you to automate repetitive tasks for yourself and other members at Perez Law.

As for copying and pasting calendar links, there is a workaround that¿s built into the Merus Calendar: When you create or edit an event you can add Assignees, either from your firm¿s users or type in an email address. Above the Assignee area is a checkbox named ¿Notify Assignees¿. When you click that box and email will be sent to all the Assignees on the list. Hope that helps!

Shane M.

Amazing Simplicity and Harmony

Reviewed on 2015/02/09

MerusCase is very well thought out and organized. Every field has purpose and a deeper relationship to the system as a whole. The system not only feels faster but it begs to hold all your data because everything works in harmony. Need to see a document but forgot to install a word processor on your laptop or iPad? MerusCase creates roll-over image previews of every documents and converts your Word docs into PDF, without you asking it to. Do you want to see your calendar for a case, for an office or for just your colleagues Bill, Steve and Jane? MerusCase handles this gracefully using filters. The Merus filters are ubiquitous in MerusCase and make customization endless without the need to run reports to get what you need.

There is a great divide between what MerusCase is offering and every other system. Where other systems are generic, MerusCase is flexible and has knowledge into a variety of different case types. For example, when you create an Immigration case you see all the UCSIS forms and have the ability to populate those forms with data that you wouldn't normally collect for other cases such as a the petitioner's employment history, citizenship status, or even "alien registration number". It's not just the fields either, when you create a Personal Injury case the system tailors itself depending on if the case is Motor Vehicle related, Premise Liability, Product Liability or Medical Malpractice. This gives you the sense that MerusCase is thinking ahead, helping you become a better attorney/paralegal/secretary without you even recognizing it.

There's a reason MerusCase doesn't have integration points into every other system; it does a lot more for you.

Donna R.

I have nothing but praise for MerusCase!

Reviewed on 2016/10/18

I find MerusCase very easy to use. I love the ability to access all the case information from anywhere - I never take my entire file to the Board anymore simply because I am able to rely on the ability to quickly get to case information, documents, etc. through Merus. I have all the information I need at my fingertips. The staff loves the upload feature that allows easy uploading of documents into the cases.

Gerard D.

As a user since 2013, this just keeps getting better and better and the customer support is...

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

It has greatly increased my productivity.

Pros

Functionality, ease of use, integration of billing, document management, email client, and accounting features.

Cons

Not much disliked although I would love to have the ability to scan from a desktop scanner directly to the interface.

Mary S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Alot of Glitches. Very basic.

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

Good, general case software, but not a good Case Management tool, in my opinion.

Pros

Can jump right in to use it in a basic way. Can place "Tasks" and check them with dates due. I do like the measurement tool. It's inspiring, but have no idea what the criteria are.

Cons

Calendar glitches constantly. This is just really not a good part of the app. Doesn't save, saves with wrong date, have to click refresh or it may never show up. Always opens up to a date in 2016. Program takes forever to open up. IMO, the worst part of this software.
No app to track and get reminders for different aspects of the case. Just a general "tasker" but again, no reminders. With thousands of cases, you will need create your own tracking sheets for various tasks.

Betty P.

Customer Service Department folks are very helpful and respond quickly to my requests for...

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Pros

I find this program easy to use. Transferring the information from our existing software at that time was a snap with the help of the customer service department.

Cons

Choice of template reports but they will be happy to create them for you and work with you on getting the information you need.

Response from Merus

Thank you Betty for your review! Happy to have you as a customer

Julie D.

Merus is good

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

besides the issue with the email and the capacity for sending documents , everything is very good.

Pros

It is friendly to use it and has very helpful features for law firms

Cons

maybe the fact that sometimes shows emails as not read and they were already read and the capacity to send documents attached it would be better if it could be bigger.

Rocio V.

Works great!

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

My work and my files are very organizes, I can get to thing very quickly and easily.

Pros

It is very easy to use and understand, everything is very detailed and it makes my working days easier and very organized.

Cons

I really do not have any that come to mind, the only thing I can think of is at times it can be very slow.

Response from Merus

Hi Rocio,

Within the past few days, we¿ve made some major upgrades to our system. Documents actually render at a faster pace, and previews have gone from 72dpi to 200dpi. We hope you¿re seeing the difference. We appreciate having you as a MerusCase customer!

Seth B.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/04/16

Great

Pros

The ease of finding documents and categorizing them

Cons

There are no calendaring chains for personal injury cases. Also, that I cant grab a document from merus and put it onto my desktop.

Mary S.

It's okay.

Reviewed on 2017/10/06

Pros

It is easy to hit the ground running with this software.It would be great to have a "helpful hints" option pop up when using a feature, like in Microsoft.

Cons

NOT enough features. Not able to set up your own task flow tracking/reminders. Locks up alot, loses information you enter into parties tab, freezes when 2 people are in the same case, unable to share parties between cases, customer support is scant. Just, it's ok. No more. Loading documents often freeze up and so you have to re-accomplish the task. It's frustrating.

Frances L.

Very User Friendly and Great Support

Reviewed on 2019/07/04

I accidentally deleted a large amount of documents and support was able to help retrieve all the missing documents, which was a huge relief! A huge thank you to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] for putting up with my frantic calls as I attempted to get this sorted out!

Pros

The tagging and subfolders are great at keeping things organized and sorted nicely.

Cons

Some types of documents can't be previewed in the window pane.

Josellin L.

Love Merus very reliable easy to use you can do so much with Merus

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Pros

I like the features very easy to use. Learned the system in 1 day. I really highly recommend Merus

Cons

There is nothing i dont like about Merus. I love everything about this software. very easy to use...

Response from Merus

Thank you Josellin for your kind review. We appreciate having you as a MerusCase customer!

Teresa M.

MerusCase is a game changer

Reviewed on 2016/10/18

Having a web based case management system has made our lives so much easier and allowed us to become pretty much paperless, as well having the freedom to work from virtually anywhere.

Response from Merus

Thank you for your feedback, Teresa - we're so glad to have you on board!

Luis V.

GOOD USE A FEW CHANGES HERE AND THERE

Reviewed on 2017/01/12

EASY MOVEMENT, THE GRAPHICS COULD CHANGE TO MAKE MORE APPEALING. A CLOSE HOOKUP WITH THE WEB TO SEARCH OTHER INFO WOULD BE NICE

Gerardo R.

Smooth, Organized and professional

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

I learned how to handle tasks and assist attorneys in a clean and intuitive software.

Pros

I like how you can easily create new contacts and open cases in an effective and straightforward way. The layout of the Case Details tab makes it easy to find what you are looking for in a case. I love how MerusCase easily syncs with your email account and also remind you of important events coming up. The calendar is simple to use and can help you filter by person which is incredibly useful. Overall a very pleasing software that can increase productivity and help you manage day to day tasks.

Cons

The only improvement I would suggest is that at times previews of documents can be slow or delayed. If this could be fixed it would greatly speed up document processing.

Response from Merus

Hi Gerardo,
Thank you for your kind words. Here at Merus we work hard to deliver the best value to our customers. Within the past few days, we've redesigned our system to ensure that document previews render more quickly and display at 200dpi, compared to the 72dpi they were at before. You should see the difference the next time you open a document within MerusCase. Thank you for being a MerusCase customer!

• Industry: Law Practice

Swing and an unfortunate miss

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

Started well, company sold, purchaser is now concerned only about signing up new customers, not developing their capacities to support the needs of existing users.

Pros

The suite does what it says it does, providing a cloud-based medium for organizing case files, billing, etc.

Cons

The suite is only accessible with an internet connection and, while it started its development with promise, it has tried to be a jack of all trades, offering solutions for everyone without a strong enough feature set for anyone. Office integration is tenuous and new features roll out without any thought as to how existing users should go about applying new features to existing cases. Honestly, if we weren't so invested in the platform, I would have moved to a new provider a year ago.

Misha P.

A versatile platform that WILL save your firm time and money if used fully!

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

I have implemented the MerusCase API for many different clients between developing integrations between MerusCase and office copy systems and creating custom reports for firms with specific needs.

Pros

The customer service is top notch, they go above and beyond to help MerusCase work for you. Any software and technology can be integrated with MerusCase through the API, so you can do exactly what you need. Ideal for maintaining perfect digital records of cases from incoming mail and correspondences to injury details and e-Filing built-in.

Cons

There are some gaps in the documentation for the API however the support team is very responsive with any questions I have had and that area has grown significantly!