LeanLaw

Legal billing software for small to mid-sized law firms.

Charles K.

LeanLaw is great.

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Excellent. I contact customer support sometimes and they are responsive and personable.

Pros

LeanLaw is intuitive and simple. LeanLaw seems to have been set up with great attention to how attorneys actually work.

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about Lean Law.

Lynda A.

My go to app for working with Law firms and QuickBooks Online

Reviewed on 2019/03/04

All of the law firms I work with use LeanLaw. We are even converting clients from desktop PC law to LeanLaw/QuickBooks Online. We are conversion specialists in moving law firm clients to the cloud.

Pros

It's ease of use. From the attorney's perspective, it is very intuitive. Produces high-quality invoices. From the Accountant's perspective, it works seamlessly with QuickBooks Online. I love the two-way sync and the billable expenses feature.

Cons

Nothing, the even have high-level customer service. Great app!

Paul A.

Lean Law Saves Time and Money for Sole Practitioner

Reviewed on 2017/03/27

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and saves me time and money. Moving to the cloud has been the best decision I have ever made and Lean Law allowed me to do so. I highly recommend Lean Law to any firm looking for improved efficiency in timekeeping, billing and productivity. They have very responsive customer service should the need arise.

Pros

It is easy to use, integrates with Quickbooks for billing, allows me to access my timekeeping software from anywhere and has saved me time and money since I began using it. It is easy to use and very intuitive.

Cons

The online version of Quickbooks is more difficult to use than the computerized version.

Heather K.

Integration with Quickbooks Nightmare

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

I have had no luck with customer service being on point or helpful. I would only suggest this to a company that likes QB and doesn't want integration with other programs.

Pros

Ease of navigation. it has some features that are helpful and would be beneficial to someone who likes QB.

Cons

It doesn't work well with quickbooks there are features that require work arounds to do this. As a result we are working through switching. We would keep the software maybe but the inability to work with other accounting software makes it impossible.

Response from LeanLaw

As a founder of LeanLaw, I regret and take personally LeanLaw not working for a client. I have personally worked with your firm, and it a bummer to see you folks leave. I hope you know we are vigilant with our customer support, know we will be investigating your poor experiences and ensuring they are not replicated. As a company, has worked diligently on our QuickBooks integration and it would be no easy task replicating that level of integration with another accounting partner. This is why Intuit has recognized LeanLaw as a premier app in their marketplace.

Dan M.

Works Well

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, top notch support for the occasional issue, which has been rare. Integration with QuickBooks is pretty well seamless, makes time keeping and billing very easy.

Cons

Nothing . Have been using since April 2019 without issue.

James P.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

I have had a great overall experience with Lean Law. They are very customer friendly, and have incorporated a number of our suggestions.

Pros

The program is very easy to use, and interfaces with quick books.

Cons

The program still needs a little work with trust account reporting

Scott L.

Streamlines our practice

Reviewed on 2017/03/27

I am a solo practitioner attorney with a paralegal. We used to use MyCase, but we recently stopped our subscription in favor of a la carte solutions. Our solution for billing and invoicing is LeanLaw and we both love it. It is easy to use and straightforward, and the LeanLaw folks have been very responsive to our questions or suggestions for additional features. With MyCase, getting invoices prepared and reviewed was a time-consuming issue, particularly if one of us, for example, entered a time entry against the wrong client. With LeanLaw, those issues are easily resolved with a few clicks. I've gotten compliments on our "nice, new invoices" now that we've switched to LeanLaw. They look great and the clients find them easy to use and easy to pay!

Probably the best part is the streamlined accounting for trust accounting. It used to take so many steps to make sure the accounting was complete and accurate any time we touched a trust account. Now, it is simple and straightforward - a few clicks and everything is done. I would not hesitate to recommend LeanLaw to any lawyer who needs to track and invoice his or her time.

Richard S.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Great startup software for organization

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

So far I have no clients utilizing LeanLaw, though I enjoy playing around with it and working through some ideas.

Pros

I like the intuitive interfaces and clear direction. Some lawyers are not particularly in tune with technology, so these simple interfaces and directions help keep frustrations low.

Cons

The reporting interface is quite smashed together and leaves much to be desired. The interface limits itself across the tabs rather than allowing differences between the tabs more.

Michael W.

Lean Law Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

It was a good program. I simply found something that suited my needs a little better.

Pros

The Integration with Quickbooks was efficient and very valuable. I like the time keeping aspect as well

Cons

The calendar was hard to read. There wasnt much on note taking for the individual cases. I also could not figure out how to add flat fees to hourly matters.

Mikayla B.

LeanLaw

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

LeanLaw has come to be our third program in an attempt to get a clean software. We are very lucky to have such customer service and ease of use.

Pros

I love that it is very functional and makes everything clear for all parties to read.

Cons

I cannot find cons with this software that they do not address.

Laura P.

Amazing Experience

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Pros

I love how it interfaces with Quickbooks. I like how simple it is to enter different types of fees and expenses.

Cons

I have been using LeanLaw for a year, and I have no complaints with this software so far.

Shantel O.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Pros

Super user friendly. Great customer service

Cons

No cons that I can think of at the moment

Wm paul S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Simple, easy to use, outstanding value

Reviewed on 2020/02/19

Excellent. Highly recommend for small to mid-sized law firms.

Pros

This software only does what it needs to do: time and billing. And it does a fantastic job at it. The interface is simple and easy to learn for users. It is also very fast and responsive. Yet it also support numerous features, such as LEDES, contingencies, and flat fee work. Great integration with Quickbooks Online. Online availability makes it cross-platform and available anywhere. Trust accounting is a snap. Customer support is excellent. And the price is a fraction of other online providers!

Cons

We encountered a couple small issues but the LeanLaw team addressed them very quickly.

Ian M.

LL Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Overall it has been pretty good, there are a lot of useful features and is mostly much faster than PCLaw. I would like to see a few more features but I know a lot of things are being developed so that's good. I really like the response time when asking questions and how it seems that staff really takes your suggestions seriously and implements changes based on them. For things like QBO it's impossible to get your suggestions listened to quickly so I really like how LL does that.

Pros

I like that it is cloud-based and online, this way we can use it from anywhere. This makes it easier for the timekeepers to post their dockets and for me to use it from home. I also like how quick it is to run reports on expenses and time, in PCLaw it could take up to half an hour to run a report that with Leanlaw takes a few seconds.

Cons

Billing, I know they're working towards adding a select/deselect-all function so I don't have to remove thousands of entries slowly which is good. I do find when we have a large invoice with a lot of entries it is extremely slow and close to unusable.
I would like to see more reports, specifically seeing what our WIP and Expenses were at a specific date. Right now setting the date parameters still excludes everything billed after that date, but we need to see it as if it was that date for our financial statements, so that is a big issue for our firm.
I would also like to see more features for writing off invoices. Right now you can do it with QBO but then when running reports it still shows those times as being billed, which can be an issue when we base bonuses off billings, since those weren't actually billed but written off.

Gregory S.

Inflexibility with Billing Format

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

Generally worked well but the inability to control the output of our bills was a deal killer.

Pros

Worked well with QuickBooks, generally.
Timesheets were easy to use

Cons

Could not format the billing statement to our liking. Not flexible at all.
Not being able to change the look of our bills was very problematic.

Response from LeanLaw

We appreciate the challenges with invoice presentation. The challenge is our integration with QuickBooks Online and its limitations based on form style. LeanLaw has filled the feature gap by adding specific features for invoice presentation. You can add the Matter Name or responsible attorney to the invoice header. We allow for combining time entries in a single day. Separating billable vs. non-billable ok aggregating the items. We have added the trust transaction activity into the invoice memo, and we have created invoice sections so that you can clearly communicate the fees vs. expenses on an invoice. We even have a summary invoice that allows for a single invoice summarized by the contributor. We attach an Excel file to the invoice to ensure your client has the necessary details.

We are working closely with Intuit to improve the invoice style forms and make them even more catered to law firms. We're sorry LeanLaw wasn't awesome here, but we will keep improving.

Mitchell K.

LeanLaw Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

I have really enjoyed this product. I really don't have too many complaints about this product.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use and the integration with Quickbooks. LeanLaw takes the stress out of accounting for lawyers. The customer service is always excellent.

Cons

It's not very intuitive and there isn't a place to store client documents within the software.

Amy H.

Lean Law Review

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Our time keeping ability is much improved from Juris and the attorneys are more involved by entering their own (most) time. I have really enjoyed the lean law staff and I wish they were standalone and didnt need QBO online cause it sucks!

Pros

The help from customer service and on-boarding. they were always available to help me until we got up and running. The software is very user friendy.

Cons

So far there is not much i dont like. I think that is there was one thing I could change it would be printing options. Example, from trust you cant print a report that looks suited to submit. The reports arent labeled what they are. Example: print of timekeepers time has no label ...this year? Last year? date range?

Response from LeanLaw

Amy, LeanLaw just released a new and updated reporting engine. This directly resolves the formatting concerns you articulated in your response. It also added a more robust and real-time revenue by attorney report. Thanks for your work and feedback.

Kelsey N.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Very user friendly and helpful

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

I was one of the first users and have seen how the company is dedicated to improving the product as it learns more. They are always available to troubleshoot and help me. It has helped me manage my solo practice.

Pros

I like the timekeeping and how the invoicing links directly to Quickbook.

Cons

It used to link directly with Gmail and Google Drive and that isn't supported anymore. I wish it was.

• Industry: Law Practice

Great product that's easy to use!

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

LeanLaw is an exceptional service that has timely and responsive customer service. Recommend highly.

Pros

This software is easy to use, and user intuitive. I'm just a regular user so I don't run reports, or create new files - so my use is confined to just billing clients and it couldn't be easier.

Cons

Occasionally there are glitches where I find my input time on a different date than I entered, however, that was easily fixed by the LeanLaw team.

Donna P.

First use was difficult

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Pros

I do appreciate the support from techs that have been patient with me. In the beginning, almost a year ago, there were quite a few things I needed LeanLaw to be able to do. For the most part, these things were addressed to my satisfaction.
What I like most about the software: that I can work from home
It's taken me a year, but I am 'fairly' satisfied with the software.

Cons

I hate that invoicing isn't via LeanLaw. I hate Quickbooks online and would rather all invoicing was via LeanLaw and my Quickbooks was used as a desktop version like I have used for 15 years or longer. I think the fact that I have to pay for Quickbook Online, which I repeat I hate, in order to use LeanLaw is an additional cost that I do not feel like I should have to pay. Plus, the basic QBooks online isn't ideal, but I refuse to upgrade at this point. For what I am paying monthly, for LLaw & QBooks has already surpassed the cost of buying billing software outright and it hasn't even been a year yet. So, my main con is that LeanLaw only works with Quickbooks online. Oh, and I so wish LeanLaw would produce a bill even though no time has posted that month. I want it to produce a bill with balance due (from previous bills). For now, I have to reprint past due bills from QBooks every month :/

Martha C.

Lean Law - Ease of Use and customer support

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

We just migrated to Lean Law with QB in July of last year from Clio. With Lean Law you can find the information you require very easily and quickly. Billing is much easier than Clio or PC Law overall we are extremely happy with Lean Law.

Pros

This software is one of the easiest and intuitive programs I have every used in a law firm and I have been a law clerk for over 20 years. The support team is fantastic, they are willing to spend any amount of time to fix a glitch with you on the phone and assist you with any type of problem you may have.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about the program.

Carbo K.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Perfect for sole practitioners or small firms

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

Very good experience. Love the quick response to support.

Pros

Ease of use but most importantly, their continuous work on improving the software and listening to the feedback. Since I've got this subscription just over a year ago, I've seen various improvements and new features.

Cons

Some technical difficulties/error messages but is quickly rectified by customer support

Jenny W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Essential for seamless time-tracking and billing

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Invoicing is no longer a day long process

Pros

LeanLaw integrates with Quickbooks Online so efficiently I can't believe we were invoicing without it.

Cons

Possibly could use some more reporting features.

Bruce S.

Bruce's review

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

I think Leanlaw is a very good product.

Pros

I think the software is relatively easy to use and fairly intuitive.

Cons

I have no particular complaints about this software.

• Industry: Law Practice

Makes Quickbooks much more palatable.

Reviewed on 2019/06/14

Overall, very pleased with LeanLaw. Good pricing. Good customer service.

Pros

This software has two-way integration with Quickbooks. Time entry is easy. Desktop and smartphone timekeepers are very handy (when I remember to use them). Simple to open new matters or add new clients. These then populate automatically to Quickbooks. I moved from PCLaw (then a different web-based program) and looked, at all the major and minor players. This works great for me.

Cons

Quickbooks billing setup is a bit clunky. But that's as much a QB problem as LL. Not a full-blown practice manager, but I knew that going in. As a result, need to keep info in both Outlook and LL/QB. Not a huge deal since my contact list is huge and my client list is infinitesimally smaller.