TurboTax

Tax preparation for federal & state income tax returns

4,7
4,4
4,6
4,6
4,1
Shilleah S.
Industry: Consumer Services

Cheaper than an Accountant!

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/06/17

We've only used it this year, and so far, I love it. It was super easy to link up Quickbooks and all our employee info. Very intuitive filling out the tax forms as well.

Pros

I love that it syncs with our Payroll, that is why we switched from TaxAct is because TurboTax syncs directly with our Intuit Quickbooks.

Cons

It's more expensive than TaxAct, and the customer service takes forever to get an actual agent on the phone.

Joseph Z.
Industry: Internet

File your business taxes in an hour

Reviewed on 2020/01/26

I did not need a CPA; I paid a fraction of what I would have paid a CPA firm

Pros

I couldn't believe how comprehensive yet easy it was to be walked through the process for answering questions and providing data that would calculate my Federal and state taxes.

Cons

It was so thorough that there were a lot of questions that were not relevant to my business so I felt like I was spending too much time on moot things.

Sally B.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

Used this across many years

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Extensive experience. I've uses Turbotax Business for many years for a number of businesses. I use it for business planning as well as annual tax forms.

Pros

I like that Turbotax pulls data in from prior years' returns. I appreciate the visual interface that switches from forms to step-by-step and links to workbooks and data sources.

Cons

Over the years, Turbotax has limited direct access to relevant information. By 2019 the links and online community help has become a waste of time. There was once a time when the software led directly into the tax code and tax decisions. Long, long ago. I miss it, but soldier on because I know the software and it integrates year by year.

Brandon M.
Industry: Law Practice

Gets worse every year that goes by

Reviewed on 2020/03/14

TurboTax is a one-stop-shop for the two certainties in life, Death and Taxes, because by the time you're halfway through using their product, you'll be sure to want to blow your brains out.

Pros

The only thing I used to like is that it would sync with other free Intuit products like Mint, but the new version is so buggy that even syncing doesn't work

Cons

1. Suprise charges. Anything you do will sneak attack you with an upcharge for a necessary feature when you're halfway through. For example, the business version will charge you about $175 just for the software, then another $60 or so for your state, and if you're in NYC, it'll try to charge you even more for the city. Even their phone support team didn't know if NYC and NY State were necessary concurrently. The free version of the personal version hits you about halfway through with a surprise, "if you want to add a 1099, you have to pay us."

2. Bugs galore. The software logs you out, won't accept your password when you try to log back in, and won't let you reset your password. More wasted time.

3. Phone support is near non-existent, and the few staff members who do man the phones appear to lack information and authority to necessary to provide effective assistance. Also, you have to go through a phone tree where you may as well have to answer three riddles and sacrifice your firstborn to get to a human, and by the time you get that poor bastard on the other end of the line, you're seeing red and using every ounce of willpower not to take out your rage on the poor soul who is no doubt underpaid by a corporation that singlehandedly lobbied (successfully) to ensure that your taxes could not be done for you automatically by states for free.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Works great for an uncomplicated small business

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

It does what I need easily and I have no complaints, and for taxes and bookkeeping, that's what you're looking for!

Pros

I have a small business on the side and TurboTax Business serves my needs really well. Keeps me organized and makes tax time a breeze. If you've got a lot more going on or this is your primary business, you may be looking for more functionality, but for a side hustle this is top notch.

Cons

Every time I've tried to contact customer service they haven't been a ton of help. Always want you to buy into a higher tier or send you to the forums. I usually find an answer there but it would be great to have people who'd answer your questions quickly.

Brooke B.

It's easy

Reviewed on 2020/07/31

It's the easiest and most affordable way for me to file as a small business. Sometimes I turn to Google for research if I'm unsure about something.

Pros

TurboTax is so easy to use. It makes filing my business taxes each year a breeze. If I have my documents organized, it takes about an hour to complete.

Cons

I'm not sure their staff is the most educated. I talked to a TurboTax CPA (purchased with my plan), about some questions before filing and I didn't trust his answers.

Saima H.
Industry: Entertainment

A life-changer. I'm never going back.

Reviewed on 2020/08/24

Extremely positive. I will always use this every year to do my taxes.

Pros

The ease of use. It is so simple, breaks everything down, eliminates any confusion you may have with taxes. It's far less complicated to do taxes using TurboTax.

Cons

Nothing! TurboTax changed doing taxes for me for the best. It's easy to do, pick up where I left off, pay for everything, and get my funds. This year, I got my stimulus check easily because I had used TurboTax to file.

Amy D.
Industry: Accounting

Turbo Tax for Clients

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

Most of our clients don't require difficult tax returns, therefore, this is the best software to use for our small business.

Pros

Turbo Tax Business is easy to use for our small accounting business. The updates keep us current with the laws, and the ease in producing a clean return for our clients is always 100%.

Cons

We never have a problem with this software, and if there is, we can call customer service and get assistance without hardly waiting on hold.

Andrew B.
Industry: Consumer Services
Company size: Self Employed

Great for more advanced taxes

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

When all you have is a W2 doing your own taxes is a piece of cake. But one you decide to switch things up and become self-employed, taxes go to a whole new level of complicated. I know I would've missed out on a ton of money if it weren't for turbo tax and honestly I probably would've been audited at some point too.

Pros

The help it gave me in figuring out how to get the most out of being self employed.

Cons

It was more expensive than I would've liked but it did pay for itself and then some.

Industry: Computer & Network Security
Company size: Self Employed

most ease to run your accounts

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

easy to install and configure all interfaces are running very clear and the links provide fast access to other site with plenty of data

Pros

you don't need a previous knowledge to have great results , you have the best software integration with others resources

Cons

they brings great customer support, but the phone assist take a lot of time due the lag on questions to folllow your case

Virginia B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

You Plug it Chugs

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

I’ve used TurboTax, electronic tax preparation software, for three consecutive years to file my state and federal taxes. TurboTax provides e-filing taxes services and assistance for those filing as self-employed, small business, military, and retirement tax purposes. TurboTax will make filing less of a hassle; all you have to do is plug, and it will take care of the chugging for you. Overall, I have been pretty pleased with the services but keep in mind it is always good to have a second pair of eyes to examine your taxes before filing.

Pros
We all know filing taxes can rack up quite a hefty bill, especially when hiring someone to do them for you. TurboTax provides the same services as a real person, for a reasonable cost.

One of my favorite perks to using Turbo is that it saves all my previous year’s returns so I can easily access and refer to at any time; you can easily switch between the online platform and the mobile app without having to worry about your data or updates being lost.

For those who don’t have a lot of sit-down time you can file on the go, directly from Turbo’s mobile app; which supports both iPhone and Android phone as well as an iPad and Android tablet.

For beginners, this application is the step-by-step guide that walks you through the complete filing process from start to finish. If you still find you need assistance there is on-demand support and live-phone support (including CPA or EA assistance that can look over/double check your work before sending your return off) readily available to you 24-hours a day.

If you are anything like me… a tax amendment or an extension of some sort is often in the equation; TurboTax contains all the forms you can easily access to complete any of these actions and will let you know exactly where to mail it to. After filing, the IRS should receive your return in as little as 1-2 business days and are generally approved within 1-2 business days as well (deposits and refunds take a bit longer, est. 19 business days).

Cons

Although TurboTax does have a free plan, keep in mind you will still have to pay when e-filing (technically speaking… it’s not exactly free).

As an experienced Turbo user for three years now, I have only encountered one experience where Turbo did not catch a mistake; for this reason, I would highly recommend you have one of the CPA/EA’s available to you via TurboTax look over your taxes before filing to help you catch any potential errors.

While I have confidence in the applications security of my data and personal information I would not put 100% confidence in the results it provides as automated software can make mistakes too. In the future I hope TurboTax provides documentation on all of the calculations so that it is easier for people to work backwards and find mistakes when needed.

India P.

Yearly Turn to TurboTax to file my own taxes

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

Pros

Turbotax will keep prior years information saved for next years taxes if you have not had any significant changes you can easily file your taxes without having to locate documents for filing the EITC, employer information, household information etc. There is no cost to file your federal taxes with Turbotax. It sends reminders when your tax return is estimated to come. It allows for you to have access anywhere being it is web-based and anywhere you have internet access you can access Turbotax. It has a forum for questions and answers for anyone to review and a free estimation of your tax return estimator. It allows you to review your taxes for any errors or mistakes. If you remain idle too long the software will automatically log you out. It allows users to file their own taxes. They have areas to explain questions asked on taxes. It is user friendly.
With so many users it should not allow you to access your taxes and then force you to upgrade the next year and if you do not it will vanish your information in front of your face which is sort of rude if you ask me. They should just delete if after they send the information or at the end of the tax year your filing for ask would you like to take out to save next years information for fast and easy convience? People would be more inclined because they have the money to do it to be taken out. What if I do not want to upgrade and needed to amend a tax year and they erased the information what happens then?

Cons

It only saves your information if you pay to upgrade the software if you do not pay your information is lost and you have to input everything like a first time user. There is a cost for your state taxes but it does not seem to be as detailed for state taxes as it is for federal as far as claiming the EITC through State Taxes as well. Because people fraud taxes some answers in the forum or vague and for people really wanting the answer it really is not presented as a yes or no. Maybe they can have a ask a legal question regarding your taxes feature for answers to tax related questions and provide that as an additional service where the question is emailed to you. Are for an a la carte flat fee with the upgrade you have the option to have lawyer/irs agent answered tax related quesitons with definite answers provided in a general forum and have a per day usage charge deducted from taxes or something of the sort. Then you can really do your taxes without having to consult someone, then finish your taxes later.

Amy T.
Industry: Retail

Highly recommend as a DIY option for income taxes

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

TurboTax Business really walks you through everything you need. My taxes aren't extraordinarily complex, but I do run an inventory-based business, so it's more complex than a basic employee tax filing. That said, TurboTax really seems like it can handle the tax situations of quite a lot of people. It's pretty reasonably priced, and asks you questions that walk you through everything. They've got helpful explanations embedded within the software for questions you'd likely have about a specific section. They also have a pretty thorough help section, as well as live support if you need (though I never did). I hadn't ever done my own taxes before (only used H&R Block or similar in the past before owning a business), but I felt like TurboTax was very approachable.

Cons

The only small complaint I have is that if you aren't working on the software for a little while, it logs you out (which is great for security purposes), but then when you log back in, it just takes you to the dashboard and you have to navigate back to the part you were working on. I wish it would give you the option when you log back in of taking you directly to the last page you had been on when it logged you out.

Joseph P.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Sole Proprietorship Taxes

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

Overall, turbotax business is a very good product. It has worked for my practice and as a sole proprietorship it is all that is needed versus an accountant. If you need it for an LLC that is too big, an accountant may be a better choice. If one is self-employed, small business, combines personal and business income, then I would highly recommend.

Pros

A. The user interface is friendly compared to other tax software
B. The online version at intuit is user friendly in that you can stop & go anytime you want when filling out sections
C. Finds a good amount of credits and deductions I never realized existed as a sole proprietorship and money loss.
D. Does a good audit/check at the very end so everything appears filled properly
E. Cheaper than an accountant for a small business

Cons

A. The tax breaks & credits at the state level sometimes are not always there
B. Some sections are a bit confusing but if you cross check the description or on the IRS website it becomes more self explanatory
C. Works well for self employed and small business but larger institutions might have more of a headache

Beth H.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

TUrbo Tax Excellent for Small Business

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Overall, Turbo Tax for Business make tax prep and preparation of a return a breeze. IN less than one day, with only a little advance tax prep, both state and federal returns were done with ease and no stress.

Pros

I am fully confident in the structure, backup and support that Turbo Tax provides for small business owners. Much cheaper that a tax preparer and as a small business owner cost is key to a profitable year. Turbo tax is so simple and easy to use - anyone can do it with confidence that they are getting all the breaks and benefits allowed in preparing a return whether state or federal.

Cons

I filed for an extension last year through Turbo Tax. when I filed the return, it did not include the fee for filing late so it was a small surprise to get bills from both the State and Feds. In this instance, the amount owed was nominal but in another case things could have been different. Would be good for the software to include late fees/interest/penalties or at least to warn you to check with State and Feds regarding this.

Neha T.
Industry: Management Consulting
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Worth purchasing for complicated returns!

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

Turbo Tax is one of the easiest tax programs to use. It stands out for how easy it is to use and its intuitive design and flow. It has a free filing option available, but if one want to take advantage of deduction & credits, one need to pay for it.

The software lets you import W-2’s as well as your previous year’s return. Turbo Tax also has good tools for finding errors in your return. It runs a complete final check over both state and federal returns to look for errors and see if there are any deductions or credits you missed.

Cons

It’s most expensive software when compared with others. Free version of this is only viable for simple returns. Filing a regular 1040 will need to go with one of the paid versions.

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Perfect Way to File Your Own Taxes If you do a Simple return

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

Pros

I have been using TurboTax to file my own taxes for about 4 years now. It's consistently getting better and easier to use. My personal information auto-populates from last year and I can import my W-2's easily. It takes me about an hour to file my taxes, quick and easy. I do not have a very complicated tax return but I always feel confident that TurboTax has asked me enough questions to make sure I am getting the maximum return back.

Cons

They charge you more to auto-populate your personal info from last year. I had a question about why I did not qualify for a tax credit this year, none of the help buttons or articles were giving me a clear enough answer. I wanted to speak to a customer service rep in person and I scheduled for them to call me but never received a phone call. When I called I had to go thru the usual automated answer/waiting on hold deal. Defeats the purpose of having a no wait option to request a phone call.

Diandra D.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Amazing for your small business

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

Pros

I've used Turbotax on my personal taxes for years now, and am excited to use it for my small contracting business. I love that everything is so easy to use, explained well, and carried year after year. Also, you can always go back and print things and reload if it wont work. In a modern, paperless world, this is so important. Turbotax will always look for tax breaks for you, and will see if you can qualify for more tax credits - something that every small business needs. I've tried other tax software and this is by far my favourite.

Cons

It can add up quickly. The benefits of doing your own taxes are that you save accountant fees. However, this charges you based on your income and tax return ,so that can always become more expensive. On top of that, I always add the audit defence just to be safe, something I've never needed, but is more costly than filing.

Industry: Printing

Works for the vast majority of small businesses

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Pros

It handles a huge amount of unique tax situations and does a decent job "growing" with your needs. The way it can automatically import tax forms and w2s is also wonderful. Our house hold has a w2 employee and two self-employed people and it handles all of our revenue, expenses, schedule Ks, schedule 1099s, and more with ease

Cons

If you want to stop and come back it makes you go back over SSOOOOO many things again and again. To ensure an easy filing, have everything ready to go. Sometimes we like to enter in as much as we can and then finish up a few weeks later when all the forms come in (schedule Ks can take a while). To go back in to enter new information, it forces us to answer the same questions again that we've already answered. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

Kevin Z.
Industry: Food & Beverages

This is Tax software done right.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/02/28

Our Tax situation as a business is very straightforward and does not require a tax professional to solve, that means software like this has empowered us to file our own taxes and cut out the middleman without losing any deductions or credits as a result.

Pros

TurboTax Business is quite possibly the easiest way to file taxes for small business period. we are using this along side with Quick-books online so integration is seamless. It has all of the forms for every kind of employee and business tax situation including obscure ones like business tangible and Meals Tax in Arlington county. The Audit defense is very helpful if you are worried you made an error while filing (Peace of mind!)

Cons

There have never been any issues using this software for us, the customer service is top notch and always able to help when we don't understand a feature or have a question.

Corey U.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: Self Employed

Thank you for saving me money!

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Turbo Tax Business is easy to use and has little hassle involved with it. I have used it every year since I started being self-employed and it has kept up to date with the current tax codes. I'm not going to do my taxes with anyone else but Turbo Tax!

Pros

Turbo Tax Business gives you multiple ways to look at how you can save money for your business. You can input deductions and costs and make adjustments without starting all the way over so you know immediately if it helps you or makes you pay Uncle Sam more.

Cons

I always hate putting in my essential info like social security number but it is a necessary thing. I have always felt that Turbo Tax is secure though and I make sure my password is really strong to help fight the hackers any way that I can.

Industry: Biotechnology

User friendly software

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Pros

Has contextual help making it easy for users to navigate through

Cons

Can provide better details on the tax breaks and the tiers based on income

Response from Intuit

Thank you for taking the time to review. It's delightful to hear the program was easy for you to use and navigate.

If you're looking for help with a taxes, look no further than our Community website. This online resource hub has a wealth of knowledge articles and other users you can engage with to gain additional insight into how to handle your taxes. The following link will guide you there.

Additionally, you can get into contact with a QuickBooks-certified bookkeeper or accountant on our ProAdvisor website if you'd like to work with someone more directly: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/find-an-accountant/

Thanks again for reviewing QuickBooks!

Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Industry: Medical Practice

We love this software

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

We love it!

Pros

It's very easy to use for small business owners - it's great to know that you are keeping track of expenses and income daily so that tax time doesn't have to be so stressful

Cons

I have had to have a CPA friend log in to make sure that everything is accounted for correctly

Chris D.
Company size: Self Employed

Great option for sole proprietorship

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

It has been my choice for tax returns since I started my business. It has made a dreaded task easy not to dread.

Pros

The instructions for use were clear, step-by-step, and easy for me to use. It saved where I left off, so I could work on my taxes for a few minutes at a time and come back to them at a later time.

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult to backtrack through the process when a topic needed to be revisited or data needed to be changed.

Nathaniel L.
Industry: Insurance

Great Small Business Tax Option

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

The software is user friendly and allows the user to get help whenever they need it. Which is important

Cons

The software doesn't have any cons that come to mind.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for making our day with this rave review, Nathaniel! One of our goals when designing this software was to make it as user friendly and easy to use as possible, so we're thrilled that you found that to be the case. No matter where your small business journey takes you, count on QuickBooks to back you each step of the way. By the way, if you're ever looking for tips on how to get the most of the software, our free webinars would be worth checking out in your spare time: https://intuit.me/2rDBlWL

Wishing you continued success!
-Kristian, The QuickBooks Team