Abacus Private Cloud

Purpose-built, private cloud for legal and accounting firms

Denise N.

Accounting Plus, Inc. Review

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

We work with the customer service team at Abacus on a regular basis and I can't say enough good things about this group. They are patient, persistent, and easy to work with. We've also worked with staff and managers in other departments at Abacus and have had nothing but great experiences.

Pros

Our company migrated to APC from a set of 3 in-house legacy servers running all of our firm's software programs. We were vulnerable not only to hardware and software issues, but to the potential hacking of the very sensitive data we had collected over 15+ years in business. Our move to APC completely eliminated these concerns. It also made it possible to relocate our entire staff off-site during the COVID crisis in a matter of hours--something that would have been nearly impossible to accomplish securely and without impact to the performance of the system had we been on those old servers.

Cons

Our migration to APC wasn't without some frustration and a bit a of learning curve for our staff. Those initial issues were addressed by Abacus and problems were fixed and we're currently very happy with the state of our APC system. My least favorite things about the cloud environment are the difficulties in using local devices (i.e. USB peripherals such as printers, scanners, signature pads, flash drives, etc.) and the inability to load and update our own software on our cloud computers. But we've learned to live with these limitations and have adopted workarounds when possible.

Robert N.

IT IS BETTER THAN CLONING A LAWYER

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

I am a solo attorney with a multi-state practice. APC has allowed me to automate my practice, from client intake to document production. I have used the Abacus products for over 13 years now and am very satisfied.

Pros

I have been an Abacus user since 2007 and on the Cloud ever since it was a little puff of smoke. The ability to have all my software managed and updated at one source, on a secure server with almost immediate access to an IT person everyday has turned out to be WAY more cost effective than a piecemeal approach to buying Office 365 here, a case management system and accounting program there, and PDF software at a third place... It not only saves me money, but also tons of time.

Cons

Way way back when Abacus went online with the Cloud, there were speed bumps (and I apologize for all the 4-letter words in those early emails), but the past few years, it has been very smooth sailing. I like the convenience of having my office EVERYWHERE that I am.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for the kind words! We are always so grateful to hear that our solutions are making a difference for firms! If interested, we'd love to feature your customer story. Just let me know and we will set up a brief interview at your convenience!

Elliott K.

Abacus Private Cloud Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

I like the product very much. I compared it recently to other legal software programs that have similar functions and I think this one with all the additional features works the best for my office.

Pros

I like the integration of the court forms with the client base. The calendaring is excellent. If one uses the notes it is easy to keep track of the clients' information and keeps them updated. The ease of logging on from off-site is easy. We were able to have everyone work from home within 2 days of implementation. We don't need physical files and can put the clients' entire file on a dvd for storage. Service has always been very good. They walk you through what they are doing so you know how to do in in the future if necessary.

Cons

It is a bit expensive, and I would like them to give us a break on the price when we add users. Some part time users cost the same as full time. I would like it to integrate with an accounting program like QuickBooks.

Barbara Z.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Customer service is terrible. Rates changed without notice. Charge you to get your data back.

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

It is hard to identify benefits when our experience turned so sour. We are finding PCLaw is providing a lot more benefits than Abacus.

Pros

The private cloud service worked well even though we regularly ran out of space and had a price increase to add more. Customer service on the private cloud was good.

Cons

We left Abacus Law after years because the new releases had a lot of bugs and using customer service was time consuming and some problems were never fixed. When we went to leave at the end of our contract, they took 2 weeks to send us the cancellation form and by then it was too late to give the 30 days notice. The contact went to month-to-month at nearly double the contract rate. We were given no notice at all of the monthly rate - yet alone notice in time to cancel. Abacus refuses to discuss this issue with us and has taken the position of "we have your money so sue us if you are unhappy."

Larry W.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Private Cloud is secure but expensive

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

Pros

The private cloud with document storage is essential.

Cons

We experience severe latency. Little bugs from time to time with check writing and printing.

Extremely Disappointing Product

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Extremely poor from the initial on boarding process until today. I don't see any capacity or willingness on the part of this company to improve their deficient service. I have been trying to overcome this with them from two year and at this point, I give up. We have made the decision to transition to a better environment.

Pros

There is nothing I like about this product.

Cons

The on-boarding process was a complete failure. Originally we tried to migrated from a private cloud to Abacus Private Cloud and from Amicus to AbacusLaw. The experience was catastrophic. The on boarding team at Abacus Private Cloud was never able to transition our data from Amicus to AbacusLaw and we were within 10 days of missing a billing cycle. I asked the company several times to switch us back to Amicus. Finally, when they were faced with completely failure of the transition, they switched us back to Amicus so that we did not miss our billing cycle, something they promised would never happen. Since that time, we have done nothing but struggle with this company to maintain an environment that would allow Amicus to function with QuickBooks. They have not been able to maintain a constant link between their product and QuickBooks. It takes days to reestablish the link. Their tech support is not very responsive and they are not very aware of reoccurring problems, which indicates to me that they have a high turnover of personnel. They have assigned multiple people to our account in the past 12 months to resolve our persistent problems with their product. They are replaced or disappear without notice to us. As of today, we may wait days for a response from them. All of this is documented. It was a mistake to migrated from our private cloud environment to this company.

Victoria S.

Abacus Private Cloud

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

Abacus Private Cloud was easy to navigate, and easy to customize to your needs. I preferred it over some other companies legal software. I would recommend it for someone who wants more detailed file keeping.

Pros

I liked that we could customize the fields. When working on a file, we could have all important details on the first page of the matter and retrieve the information fast.

Cons

Saving documents to the cloud was often time consuming. You would have to save it and pull it into the matter. It also wasn't as advanced as some of the other products I've seen. It did it's job though.

Lori R.

Great Software

Overall satisfied.

Pros

Lots of great features. Great organization of client info.

Cons

Tends to disconnect on a daily basis. Not out for very long but still frustrating.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our solutions. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story?

Please let me know if you are interested!

Eric S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

APC has been pleasure to work with from set up to use and growth from 2 users to 12 over 2...

Reviewed on 2017/07/06

Pros

I most like (1) its reliability and security from any remote location and device, and (2) hot line customer service technical assistance within minutes of phoning in.

Cons

I would like to see the cost come down, but it is still a cost savings over managing our own network.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy to serve you as your technology partner as your team grows over time!

Susan M.

Abacus Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

I know where every account stands with their financial status at all times, and can just check the notes to see the latest on the events in the case.

Pros

Abacus is extremely user friendly, and the ability to access so much information with the click of a key is awesome.

Cons

When there are upgrades, we have a lot of problems getting the kinks worked out.

Cynthia C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Our experience overall has been positive.

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

What we have enjoyed the most with APC is their customer service. The technicians that we have dealt with have been dedicated to finding a solution. If they could not fix something immediately, they have worked on it after our phone call and called me back. I have had a call back on an issue 3 days later to make sure the problem was still resolved. The technicians have been courteous, resourceful, and quick to respond.

Cons

At times the system has been slow to respond. It feels like you are working through molasses as you wait for a response. APC and Office Tools don't always seem to talk to each other. I have an issue with my Quickbooks software that has not been resolved since we got on the system almost 6 months ago. Although I am happy that the technician has called and tried a few options over the weeks, it seems like it should be resolved by now. It does not seem to be a complex issue.

Robert G.

the cloud

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

use from many locations is good, a bit pricey but OK

Pros

I like using the cloud most of all. I can use it from many locations, it is very helpful.

Cons

the Tech support has, in the last year, become more cumbersome, and takes longer.

Josh A.

Review for Abacus Private Cloud

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

Pros

Its ability to set up files with macros stemming from case files and trigger dates.

Cons

The inability to make a nicely flowing timeline to do list, which is not tied down to specific dates.

Brad S.

Too Slow

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

Pros

It addresses all of my needs in my practice.

Cons

It's too slow. Internet speed is much better for me when I'm not on the cloud.

Michaael C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Worst business decision of my career

Reviewed on 2019/11/09

Nightmare. The sales people were pros. After the sale, a horror show. They simply don’t have a worthwhile product.

Pros

Nothing. The promises made by the sales people were pure baloney

Cons

The product is cumbersome and is far inferior to using quickbooks and outlook. You are looked into a very expensive 3 year contract for a non existent case management contract.
They won’t even respond to requests to cancel contract. Run from these people.

Debby M.

We had a rocky start, but for the last year everything has been great

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Pros

I really like being able to login from anywhere. Since I travel a lot I feel much more in control than I used to

Cons

I dislike that I have to call to get software updates. This sometimes takes longer than it should take

Renee F.

Wonderful service!

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

I love it!

Pros

The ability to navigate easily. It keeps all of our clients information easily accessible.

Cons

I love all of the features, I have no complaints.

Rebekka P.

Don't Want Anyone Else to Experience What We Did

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

Pros

It's an option if you need a cloud-based environment but I suggest you look elsewhere.

Cons

We had several occurrences of not being able to get onto the platform, and once it was for 3 consecutive days. In a field of hard deadlines, it's not acceptable. There were absolutely no concessions made.
In general, customer service was below par.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Rebekka,

Thank you for taking the time to review Abacus Private Cloud. Although our records show that your cancellation took place over two years ago, we apologize for any frustration you experienced. Since then, we've made significant improvements to our customer care process and added some exciting new capabilities to APC. Our aim moving forward is to provide exceptional customer service and a flawless product, and your feedback helps us deliver on that goal.

Sincerely,
The team at AbacusNext

Joanna S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Dont sign up for Quickbooks through Abacus

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

We are so unhappy about this situation that it erases anything positive we could say if there was something nice to say.

Pros

It's not about their software, its about Abacus not honoring their contract and responsibilites.

Cons

Abacus is paid for our contract monthly, with our credit card that is on file. They failed to pay Intuit/Quickbooks and when I tried to forward the emails from Quickbooks suggesting lack of payment will result in them turning off our access to QB, I got no responses from my sales rep at Abacus. I called, made a case and am now 3 days waiting for them to resolve it. QB says it's simply a payment they need to turn it back on and Abacus isn't paying the fee so we are without our company file now.

Satin P.

Amazing & Affordable Service

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

My business uses APC to host our entire server because we do not have an on-site tech to manage a server and 11 computers for us. Having APC is imperative to our business and something we can't function without. The customer support has been outstanding and prompt every tim we've needed anything.

Cons

So far, no complaints! Total ease of use and grateful for that. I literally have nothing to say, so don't want to just type something here if I have no "cons"

Daniel S.
  • Industry: Accounting

Happy about the effort and response.

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

A roller coaster ride. There are good and bad things about this set up and company. I know they went through some growing pains themselves and we road along with them. I fee like they are heading in the right directions and making progress.

Pros

It is cloud based
Uses the remote desktop system
Creates a remote environment to function in.
Security
Support response has been getting better each year.

Cons

The overall cost is twice as much as everyone else. The control over the Office 365 account makes it difficult to efficiently function with our growing company. There have been features with the office 365 account that we would like to explore but can't because of the lack of control we have over the account.

The constant issues that come up where the issue is tied to server resources or the lack there of. After two years I would hope the server needs were more dialed in. I also don't get the feeling that anyone takes the time to understand a 3rd party software. We use Lacerte, along with "1000" other clients, and there doesn't seem to be a Lacerte expert nor is there a partnership with Intuit to install it correctly in a terminal server environment. I have had 4 different people install lacerte it different ways (on the X drive, on the C drive, on a separate SSD drive,)

Lynn G.

Support, Support, Support!

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

We are not thrilled but I have not found another provider to house all the software that we use. The search will continue and we will be out when our contract is up

Pros

After you get a support person, the support is very good. They can always fix our problem

Cons

Password resets
Lacerte updates
To be told to complete a support ticket, when my work depends on getting help with a problem, is very frustrating. I just have to shut down and quit working.
Other practitioners just laugh at the price that we are paying for Abacus.

Izzy R.

Great Fast and Easy

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

Great, Amazing experience

Pros

It's really easy to use simple and fast it has access to so much information

Cons

We cannot have certain software updates on apps we use because they're not compatible

Zachary B.

Great Service - but it’s getting pricier

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

I think it’s a great product. With great functionality. Overall it’s a must have product. There are some areas that could be improved, but I have always felt like Abacus was always self evaluating and continually improving functionality and features. They listen and problem solve whenever you have problems.

Pros

The front and back office functionality is great. The abacus system and matters combined with the accounting piece is huge.

Cons

When it crashes, it gets frustrating. Sometimes the accounting software boots you out mid billing and that is extremely frustrating. And after hours, it isn’t as easy as it used to be to get assistance, so we find ourselves waiting until normal business hours, which impacts our ability to be in court as we are sometimes dealing with abacus issues instead.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Zachary,

Please let me know if you are interested!

Autunm B.

Cloudbased for Times Such as These

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

Pros

Fully mobile cloud base and exactly the same no matter where you use it. I love the feature that prompts you to bill.

Cons

It can be glitch-y and hard to get a person to understand the issues when you call customer service. It is expensive.

Response from AbacusNext

Hi Autumn,

Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it! Would you be interested in being one of our featured customer stories? We are hearing countless testimonials about our APC environment due to the current state and we want to share your experience!

Let me know what you think!