Abacus Private Cloud Reviews

Abacus Private Cloud

Purpose-built, private cloud for legal and accounting firms

Great storage for Law Firms

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

No problems at all and have great user interface. We have not had any privacy issues with maintaining our files on the cloud. In addition, it has saved our firm thousands of dollars in IT management fees.

Pros

Our firm has a multi-area practice such as real estate, probate, estate planning and family law. Our storage requirements are very high and our needs are met through the use of the Abacus Private Cloud. The clients' documents are accessible and organized. No need to keep unnecessary papers in our office since they can be accessed from anywhere at anytime. It's great to be able to access any document during a meeting or an arbitration.

Cons

We have to evaluate how much storage we need and sometimes that needs to be expanded. Although it is easy to do, it is just something that needs to be handled by our office administrators.

Norman
  • Industry: Law Practice

Moving to the Abacus cloud was quick and expertly executed. Very Pleased!

Reviewed on 2017/06/16

I run my entire law practice using Abacus Law and APC.

I run my entire law practice using Abacus Law and APC.

Pros

Abacus Law is indispensable in my practice. I've used it for many years and have adapted it to the specific areas of my practice. The calendaring system keeps me on track so that I meet all deadlines on time. Using Rules in calendaring allows me to enter many calendar items at once with just a few mouse clicks. Form generation and Outlook integration are wonderful features and easy to use. All of this is made even better using Abacus Private Cloud. Not only is Abacus Law always up-to-date, but Office 365 is always current as well. Additionally, not enough can be said for the excellent customer and technical support services provided by Abacus Law experts. I can say without hesitation that if you have an occasion to need help with an issue you will be very pleased with the attention you will receive. I used Abacus Law from an office-based server for many years. Servers aren't cheap. I upgraded my server every 4 to 5 years. Paying an IT tech to install the server, load all the software, and get all workstations connected more than doubled the cost of the server. Furthermore, I had the recurring cost of maintenance, protection against viruses, spyware, malware, ransomware etc, plus the cost of off-site backups. All those issues were a drain on my productivity and nerves. Therefore, I pulled the trigger and moved to Abacus Private Cloud. I'm extremely pleased with how easy the transition went. APC has it all figured out.

Cons

I have no real criticism to report. On my wish list would be a more robust word processing capability in the Notes windows, which would automatically check spelling and allow for easy-to-insert macros for boilerplate text entry - similar to quickparts and autocorrect features in Word.

Response from CARET

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience with Abacus. We are delighted to serve you with technology solutions that help you run your firm efficiently and securely!

LAURA

Promises made, not kept

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

I would not recommend it for a multi-office accounting firm. The concept is great if it works. I would definitely talk to a tech person, not the sales person, before even considering the switch. In addition, if there is any hesitancy on their end about a program, etc..., I would not go with them. They have a problem with the right hand knowing what the left hand has promised and they drop off the face of the earth when they don't know what to do to assist you with a problem.

Pros

The transition was mostly smooth but there were a couple of programs that we could not get to work on the cloud. It was nice having (mostly) all programs in one place for access because we have two offices that are dependent of each other for data purposes but we could access the other office data if needed.

Cons

Abacus knew everything about our firm at the outset, even before we signed the contract, and yet they did not allow enough resources (processing power) for us to work efficiently. The programs always had some lag to them and we could never find the right person to address our issues. We went through a tax season with minimal support and slow programs and their answer ended up being not enough resources and a hefty price tag to get us up to where we should have been in the first place, but they just wanted to make the sale. We were assigned a person as our liason and most often we would not get a response when reaching out to them, so we would reach out to our sales person and basically anyone who would listen just trying to get help. Both of our office's internet speeds were over what was required, so that was not our issue. We feel like we were talked into something to make the sale, then we were put on the back burner and not provided what we were promised. We purchased early September and promised to be up and running by end of October and by the we were not fully functional yet in January. Granted we have a good many programs, but again, it was all provided to them up front and they guaranteed it would not be a problem. We cut ties the following October, after working in it for 1 tax season and not getting the results we needed to run efficiently without a large additional monthly outflow.

William

Technical Services

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

Recently, very good! But the experience has to be overall since the very beginning which is average but things have changed a lot and you guys have really improved, but prices have also doubled since when we joined Abacus 2 years ago.

Pros

Customer services have improved significantly compared to 2 years ago when we stated with Abacus. Great job!

Cons

There is still a great lag as we have to wait a long time to get support at times. When it is urgent as if the system is down, there should be a priority to get on it immediately...Support can't explain why issues come about and how it was resolved sometimes...

Ariel

Implementation

Reviewed on 2020/06/15

Pros

All in one format, including forms and email.

Cons

Forms not formatted. Time to add new program.

Deadra

The MOST HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reviewed on 2019/12/18

OVERALL IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY

OVERALL IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY

Pros

I utilized Abacus for my law firm for over 20 years and so 2 and 1/2 years ago I decided to try their private cloud solution. When it work it is great but when it does not work IT IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE AND YOUR ENTIRE OFFICE IS SHUT DOWN

Cons

YOU CAN NEVER GET CUSTOMER SERVICE. YOU ARE ON HOLD FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR WHENEVER YOU CALL

Response from CARET

Hello Deadra,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for your frustrating customer service experience and will make sure your customer success manager reaches out to you soon to escalate any issues to our Support team.

All the best,

The team at AbacusNext

Carolyn

New User and Impressed

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

The support is excellent and the products are designed well.

The support is excellent and the products are designed well.

Pros

I really like the integration of e-mail and billing with pop-ups that force me to bill at the moment I send an email. If not for that feature I would not be billing for most of my email interactions.

Cons

It seems to need a lot of attention in the way of support. Abacus Law in particular has many issues with "indexing" and hanging even when you sign off properly. Luckily the support team is extremely helpful. That being said, getting through to a live person can be difficult and call-backs can sometimes take longer than one would like. Also, the new phone tree is confusing and leads to help requests not reaching the proper department.

Joy

Review of Abacus Private Cloud

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

If customer service was improved I would rate Abacus a 10/10 but for now an 8/10.

Pros

The overall functionaliy of the cloud and the security is fanatstic.

Cons

The call center, I say this because it all depends who you get when you call as some technicians are much better than others. Some technicians are absolute rockstars but not all. Also, I found that calling in and not getting help is unacceptable especially if it is time sensitive. I have also found that I have to follow-up on items and that should not be the case. Having one person to deal with would be ideal.

Bate and Switch

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Support is good but not really 24/7; after normal hours they will call you back when they can;

Pros

Ease of access from anywhere on any computer.

Cons

Initial sizing of systems needs was way off; forced me into poor service or 30% price increase and you are stuck with the contract even though it was their mistake.

Abacus Private Cloud review

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

Overall, it is a good product and we are happy with it.

Overall, it is a good product and we are happy with it.

Pros

Integration was easy for our practice. We love the ability to access from anywhere.

Cons

Latency does seem to impact us from time to time.

Sandra
  • Industry: Law Practice

Don't Waste Your Money - Not Worth It!

Reviewed on 2022/02/14

The worst.

The worst.

Pros

Both the software and support failed miserably to meet our firm's basic needs. Trusting Abacus is a decision we deeply regret.

Cons

Our firm was unable to utilize the features of this software, and yet, when we made that known to Abacus, they refused to let us out of our five year contract. Over 15K for nothing!! Don't do it! You will regret it!

Clio

Reasons for Switching to Abacus Private Cloud

Had previously tried Clio and was disappointed with that product. The salesman for Abacus convinced us that their software and support would be better. It wasn't.
Michaael
  • Industry: Law Practice

Worst business decision of my career

Reviewed on 2019/11/09

Nightmare. The sales people were pros. After the sale, a horror show. They simply don’t have a worthwhile product.

Pros

Nothing. The promises made by the sales people were pure baloney

Cons

The product is cumbersome and is far inferior to using quickbooks and outlook. You are looked into a very expensive 3 year contract for a non existent case management contract.
They won’t even respond to requests to cancel contract. Run from these people.

Randal
  • Used for 6-12 months

We Started The Process Of Moving From Cloud9 To Abacus Next Sept 2017 Now Late Feb 2018...

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

With over 40 years experience owning and operating several companies and have been "sold" by some of the best of the best and am not easily mislead until Abacus Next came along.

I am willing to pay a premium price for premium service. I am not willing to pay a premium price for the opportunity to be anybody's Beta Tester and help them figure out what to do.

When I asked for a link to documentation regarding how to login to the server and add a client I was told there is no documentation.

What do I like best about Abacus Next? They are great entertainers and have helped me keep my blood moving.

Cons

We have heard nothing but excuses and spin and more spin. And practically everyone we have contact with at Abacus Next is continually pressuring us to buy more services. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

We are supposed to be transitioned off Cloud9 on March 05, 2018 but after today's dismal performance, another episode in the painful saga of Abacus Next we shall not let them move us until later in 2018 or 2019 even if it means we need to start some legal action.

Today we got even more spin from their tech support who was supposed to assist with mapping out the process for our upcoming transition.

He is a very nice, likable guy but did not appear to have a clue about anything. No idea how to set up a new client, what to put in the fields, could not even get us logged into our server. It appeared he was being coached by someone who knew even less than he did.

It appears to me from what little I know from reading material on their website, their newsletters and other parts of the web that Abacus Next is in a growth mode buying up other companies.

This concerns me deeply, and I wonder if they are growing so fast that they could get themselves in trouble. I have a bad gut-feeling about the stability of Abacus Next. For the record, I do not know anything about how their industry works so I could be mistaken and concerned about nothing.

However, I do know good service from bad service, and so far all I have gotten from Abacus Next is terrible service.

Carol

Cloud based services

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

Overall, I like the remote access capability far more than services like Logmein or PC Anywhere. The screen quality (size and pixels) is so much better, and so much easier on the eyes. Access to scanner, fax and printer all seem to work well, too.

Pros

The advantage to the system for me is the ability to log into my desktop when at a client's location. It allows me real time access to the tax and accounting software, documents in our client management system, email and my calendar.

Cons

When the system is down, you are dead in the water. You loose access to everything!! No client phone numbers, email, your calendar, etc, in addition to the various software programs.
The frequency of service interruption - I loose connection at least once a day. During the peak periods in tax season, it happened many times a day. It also happened routinely at the same time every evening. Customer service said they would track to figure out why, but it never happened after repeated requests.

Customer service has been very responsive lately, but previously, if you called after about 11 AM EST, you never heard back and would need to recall the next day. Once you get a hold of someone, they are very helpful.

Jordy
  • Industry: Accounting

BEWARE - This platform is dangerous!

Reviewed on 2019/06/07

We are a tax firm, we were encouraged to move forward with implementation and data migration in November, however the first available time to begin migration was the first week of January. Still, we were encouraged to move forward. We weren't actually operational until February, into the heart of year-end books, payroll and tax season. WORST decision I have made as a business owner!

We were misled on when billing would begin...
We were misled on sign up bonus of laptops... which I had to push for, they said the person in charge of shipping there was no longer with the company, right!
We were misled on DROPBOX functionality (or they were negligent)
We were misled on the contract, and the ability to add and take away users.

I am now FIGHTING (hopefully not legal yet), to cancel, and they are claiming we do not have "CAUSE" as if the above, productivity, stress, staff, isn't cause.

Pros

The vision is great, the idea behind it is great. It just doesnt work...for us.
Two factor security is great
The actual support engineers were thoughtful, and helpful, not always did they have the answer, but they were very diligent and patient even if ultimate solutions were never found.

Cons

Constant data issues with regard to how dropbox was installed.

PRO SERIES BASICALLY does not work. The EF center takes up to 5 mins to load, or submit efilings, and then another 5 minutes to return to the home base after submitting a return. HOURS lost, CLIENTS, REPUTATION, etc. was miserable, still is.

Was suggested we stop using our web browser of choice, for which all out staff has memorized functions on to improve the performance of the server, they were fully aware of the use of CHROME as essential to our functions.

Sarah
  • Industry: Law Practice

A few times regarding customer support, usually setting up new users

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Case Management Software

Case Management Software

Pros

THE APC platform does has some very useful features, like remote connection and 24- hour IT support. The techs are also funny, kind, and more than accommodating faced against some grouchy lawyers.

Cons

The functionality of this program is not. there. The remote connection feature is unrelaible, and the APC terminal server platform does not play well with others, like Dragon and Adobe. We have a package intended to accommodate up to 20 users, we have 14 licenses and maybe 6 people in APC at once. It's slow, it lags and crashes and more than a few times has kicked someone out resulting in lost work. Also, Abacus Law is designed to function exclusively on a server or in the APC platform, so forget amazon or Microsoft clouds as your plan b. Great people over there, but they're technology is just not there yet.

Kimberly

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

We're 6 months into our migration from Cloud9 and it's nothing but a disaster. It started with half of our data missing from Cloud9 and taking weeks to sort that out. I continue to be on the phone with them experiencing down time in some capacity, almost every single day. Lots of empty promises at a high cost. Clients have left my firm because of their frustration in the Abacus solution. Seems like their law solution may be more advanced than the accounting solution, but I'm sure the accounting solution is serviced out of someone's garage and we must be about the 10th customer. The other 9 accounting users have posted here, mostly unhappily. They are so lacking in processes and procedures, they couldn't have more than 10 customers. They can't get the basic of the basic working. I would never recommend this solution.

Pros

NOTHING. Unfortunately I had to give all 1 out 5's. Should have been 0's.

Cons

EVERYTHING.

-Down time - excessive
-horrible, cumbersome integration with Microsoft 365 (which was forced upon us - we didn't know that when we contracted)
-inexperienced tech support (when you can get hold of them. Often you have to wait so long on hold that it goes to voice mail and they don't call back)
-they don't support your clients directly, it has to go thru the providing company (we just got an exception to this, but that's ridiculous. Something else we weren't told when we contracted and didn't think to ask)
-Cost

James

Forced Move from Cloud 9 was anything but seamless

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

The move to APC can be summed up in the following
1) Negative impact on external client users
2) ...

The move to APC can be summed up in the following
1) Negative impact on external client users
2) Lost and wasted time due to system glitches and overall inability to timely get issues addressed
3. The individual support staff are great and are very helpful once you connect.
4.Management of this company, however, does not care about customer service and has the absolute worst customer relation skills that I have ever experienced

Pros

Was told all data would be hosted in Canada.
Was given pricing in Canadian Funds.
Portal maintained sound feature
PDF's appeared to run faster
Supported Switch to Office 365

Cons

1. Was told and paid for service in August of 2017 Did not have service until June 2018.
2. Started bill for service in March of 2018 but no service until June 2018
3. Was promised a sign up bonus in the form of lap tops but never got them and no credit
4.During the interim period the Cloud 9 fees significantly increased with no explanation
5.Data transfer saw files that were totally missed
6Software intallation was botched and outdated copies were loaded that won't open existing data files.
7.Our Key contact never returns e-mail or phone calls and ignores issues rather than addressing them.
8.Cloud9 would set up a user in a few days and most rcecently the same day.
APC takes a fewdays before they even acknowledge the existence of the request.

Mark

CaseMap Customer Support's quick and concise response with a solution.

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

There are many with CaseMap: the ability to build a medical chronology; the CaseWide graph to show the medical chronology in a visual format; linking names, organizations, documents, medicines, etc.; the filtering capability along with the ability to customize filters.

Cons

I wish I had more flexibility with the CaseWide graph: to have the ability to select or differentiate between two (or more) filters by using separate colors that would distinguish the filtered criteria on the graph; the ability to adjust the date range of graph to get rid of dead space on the graph.

Chris

Worth Peace of Mind

Reviewed on 2020/07/24

I researched several IT options when setting up my accounting firm, and Abacus Private Cloud kept coming up as the overall best solution. My entire team can securely work anywhere there is an internet connection. The set-up was smooth and the professionals at APC were super patient and helpful. Four months later when COVID-19 hit, we were ahead of our peers when offices shut down and folks scrambled to work remotely. So thankful I made the right decision to go with Abacus Private Cloud.

Pros

As a CPA, I can not put a price tag on the IT security of my accounting practice. With Abacus Private Cloud, I have peace of mind knowing that the best IT professionals and security are protecting my livelihood. The fact that we have support 24/7 works great with our long hours, too.

Cons

Expensive but worth it. Once I analyzed the cost of an in-house IT professional on payroll, Abacus Private Cloud was clearly more affordable.

Amy

Product is easy and self explanatory

Reviewed on 2018/03/30

Makes life easier to be able to access from the cloud.

Makes life easier to be able to access from the cloud.

Pros

Makes my job easier. Easy to learn software. The system allows all the tools I need to use to be in one central location, whether it is contact information, calendar, emails, notes, etc. I love the Abacus Private Cloud. It allows me and my employer access to our information from anywhere we are. I have not had any issues with the software and we have it installed on my bosses laptop, smartphone and desktop.

Cons

Text is small, but that could be that I haven't figure out to make it larger in the settings. Sometimes when accessing our network from the cloud it tends to run a little slower.

Response from CARET

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that the software makes your job easier and you found it easy to learn. We're thrilled to have you as a customer and look forward to continuing our partnership.

Best,
The AbacusNext Team

Jonathan

Debilitatingly slow performance

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

We are very disappointed in the failure of APC to consistently operate as promised.

Pros

When this software works, it's great. If it operated consistently and in "real-time", I would highly recommend it.

Cons

In over a year of using APC, we have had regular, recurring, serious connection issues. I calculate an average of 5 hrs/wk in lost productivity per user over the last year. As indicated above, when functional, the system is great; the problem is, you never know whether you'll show up for work and be able to work, or whether you'll spend half the day on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why the system is lagging.

Michael

Former Customer

Reviewed on 2020/05/19

The customer support was hit or miss. Somedays excellent, some days awful. There were issues that never got resovlved. We never significantly changed our services over the years, but somehow our bill always increased.

Pros

Managed / Remote servers are nice and enable the workforce to be anywhere. This also reduced our need to monitor and babysit servers in our office.

Cons

Customer support is hit or miss and pricing.

Lori

Great Software

Reviewed on 2020/03/17

Overall satisfied.

Overall satisfied.

Pros

Lots of great features. Great organization of client info.

Cons

Tends to disconnect on a daily basis. Not out for very long but still frustrating.

Response from CARET

Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our solutions. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story?

Please let me know if you are interested!

Natalie Lara
The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Amanda

Good Product

Reviewed on 2021/07/13

Pros

I like that it is user-friendly and everything is right there on the cloud.

Cons

I did not like that even after using Abacus and then Abacus Private Cloud for a total of 10 years and they still could not fix a bug when drafting templates. Also, I did not like that I was not the admin of my office account and needed permission to change some settings.