Kennel Connection

4,2 (53)
Desktop or Cloud-based kennel management software

4/5

Melanie P.

Review from Playful Paws

Reviewed on 2022/06/14

I have been with kennel connection since we opened in 2018. All of the support from kennel connection has been wonderful. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has always been my go to girl. She has always made me feel welcome as a kennel connection client and makes me feel like my thoughts and concerns are important. I have never had to wait for something to be addressed. Everyone involved has always acted quickly to get any issuew resolved. All of the people I have contact with such as [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been amazing the whole time I have had kennel connection. It has been a wonderful software program.

Pros

I enjoyed that it had all the required modules for my type of business and that it had a very hands on support system.

Cons

The pay portion of the software. Not being able to send invoices and have clients pay through live access. It would be nice for owners to see what they owe and for us to see who have open balances on our end.

Amber M.
  • Industry: Farming

Easy & Painless to use!

Reviewed on 2021/05/20

Been using KC for over 19 years! Support is ALWAYS QUICK to help & super easy to work with. We would like it to be a bit more online friendly, but overall this IS the best Kennel Software out there. We have tried them ALL, & KC by far suits our HUGE facility the best!

Pros

Very easy to use interface. Easy to train employees to use quickly. Customer Service & support is EXCELLENT & makes us love KC even more

Cons

The online portal needs improvement, which I know is in the works, but clients NEED online interaction

Please make is SQUARE compatible!! PLEASE!

PetExec, Square Point of Sale and Gingr

Reasons for Switching to Kennel Connection

Debra W.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Very had to learn & use. Has kinks from showing runs booked that aren't & invoice showing...

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

The ability to grow customer base

Pros

Customer service is outstanding. Fast, knowledgeable & always willing to help
Ability to keep track of clients, dogs, & their information
I had previously reviewed this software as Excellent after being asked to by KC when I bragged on customer service but after continued use have become very frustrated with it.

Cons

Very user unfriendly
Too many steps to book dogs
Run occupancy is wrong a LOT
Days on invoice are often wrong & overcharge clients
We have to go over every detail of invoice before charging client
Frustrating to move dogs because of steps
Training program very indadequate
Expensive to buy outright which I did because of internet instability
Despite buying it, it won't transfer to new owner when we sell kennel without paying hundreds all over again
Employees constantly complaining n about it
You constantly have to go back & add additional information or click another button.
Overall very cumbersome & hard to use/learn
Despite Customer Service always being Excellent, I've had to contact them or research questions often.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Debra,

I'm sorry to hear you have had issues with steps. The software does work based on how you have your settings, it sounds like you may want to check those settings out to make sure it's set up to match how you run the business.

I understand that you have sold the business, so please have the new owners contact us so we can assist with that. The licenses agreement is non-transferrable and that's something in the terms of service which is agreed upon when you install the software and requires a license transfer.

We appreciate having you as a customers for the past few years and we wish you well.

Delaney B.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Kennel Connections is great and easy to use

Reviewed on 2022/06/08

It keeps track of the vaccines that you require, your able to customize most of the aspects of it. The price is good for what you get.

Pros

I like having the availability calendar. Overall it is a very simple and easy software to use.

Cons

I only wish I was able to get on it on an iPad or tablet

Nina R.

Great Support

Reviewed on 2022/06/06

My experience has been good overall. The support is very personable and helpful. They have helped me out of a few pickles and that is greatly appreciated. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been absolutely wonderful to us.

Pros

The software is easy to use and navigate. There are 2-3 different ways to do almost every function which can make it a bit confusing to train on with a new employee. We do like the ease of navigating the software though.

Cons

The reports can be a bit confusing and take time to understand. I wish that the import to Quickbooks worked. This would save us about 25 hours per week in manually doing our accounting. The sync doesn't work if your company takes deposits to hold reservations.

Catherine S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Too much of a good thing

Reviewed on 2017/02/01

Tough to navigate - unfriendly interface - outdated design and functionality. We used it just over a year and tried to get over these issues but after staff changes and facing re-train we gave up and changed - also didn't want to have to pay the hi annual support fees and no way can run this without support. It does everything you ever imagine and lots of things I'm sure most would never use - just discovering all it can do is a daunting task in itself. You need to be a detail techy type to love this product.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hi Catherine,

All the features in Kennel Connection were added by customer request. Since the industry is run differently from shop to shop, we have added in many things that you may never use, but someone else needs. We have KC7 coming out soon with over 200 new customer requested features.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but we do have training videos available to help train staff, but the basics can be taught in a half hour training session which we offer free upon purchase.

Our support fees are the same as, or in some cases, lower than other desktop software companies.

Have a great day!

Catherine S.

Our Love-Hate Relationship

Reviewed on 2016/02/19

It does everything you could ever imagine or need and then some. Figuring it out can be tricky - trying to train part-time staff to use it very difficult. Incredibly detailed and good run speed and functionality but big learning curve to get good at it and navigate from place to place quickly. Overall look not real user friendly and can feel chunky and awkward to get around but to support the great detail they provide maybe it needs to be this way. We've only been using it for 6 months and still many features we are not using and likely never will. Price is reasonable for the complexity but I can't imagine ever not having the annual support program. Upgrades come every few months it seems and couple times I've needed help from customer service and they were great. Have to go thru proper channels but have even got help on weekend once when we needed it. Training videos and support articles are very good too. As we are located in rural area and internet signal not 100% reliable we are bit nervous about cloud based software - we demo'd several different programs prior to purchase and this was by far the best choice for installed software.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for your review. I hope you have taken advantage of the free training upon purchase and also the training videos. There is a drag and drop element that people tend to miss without watching our training videos or doing some training. I hope you were able to learn the easiest way to get around in the software. There are a lot of options in the software because we have over 5,000 customers and many requests to add in features. Most will find they don't need some of those features, but hopefully you can delve into the software when you have time and find more features that would be helpful to you.

If you haven't figured out the drag and drop features and quicker ways to get around in the software, please let me know and I'll help you out. ([email protected])

Thank you again and thank you for choosing Kennel Connection!

Fred A.

Kennel Connection does the job here at Stillwater

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

Pros

Software easy to use and keep a good database for clients. Packages are good features for our daycare . The online reservation is a really good tool for clients.

Cons

Too many steps,when checking out client if they have daycare packages the whole package is included when making an invoice.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Fred,

Thank you for your review and your business. It's much appreciated.

In regards to your comment about the packages, you might want to give us a call as if a client or dog has a daycare package, you don't need to create an invoice upon checkout. Maybe we can make things easier for you with that process.

Thank you again!

Sadie anne B.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 2022/06/22

Pros

Scheduling, credit card processing, overall very nice product

Cons

It crashes often which is frustrating, wish there was more customization capabilities especially on the boarding and daycare windows

Tom B.
  • Industry: Farming

Outstanding Software Product and Support!!

Reviewed on 2022/06/07

Pros

This software is very user friendly. Reports , invoicing, data retrieval all very easy.
Sales team (Carri) and the support team (Jen and Phil) are excellent in knowledge and finding solutions and making suggestions!

Cons

Very Satisfied client.

Mike C.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Overall it has been great. We use it strictly for boarding and daycare.

Reviewed on 2017/09/23

More than anything customer support.

Pros

I like that they are continually making improvements and updates. I believe this is based on user input. I like the desktop version as we have intermittent and long term (over a day) Internet outrages and we can continue to work. Customer support, knowledge base, and training videos seem to be current. We don't need to tweak our processes to meet the software process. It goes with our flow. I look at other software about once a year and Kennel Connection seems to be the best so far.

Cons

There are 2 items that I wished the software would allow. One item would is one that I would leave over. The first is the amount of warning windows that pop up. I know it isn't this way, but it feels like every time we navigate through a booking there is a window that asks if we are sure we want to do that function. I can see where it would be helpful, but the ability to turn it off like vaccination warnings would be great. The one item I would leave over if another company provided it is custom reports. I would LOVE to run a report that tells me which category of pets (we charge by weight) provides the most revenue. As an example if I changed the weight category instead of raising prices how would that look? I may make more money by changing weight class than upping the charges.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Mike, thank you for the review!

There are some pop-ups that you can turn off but many of them are to help the customer avoid making a mistake. If you have suggestions for ones you'd like to be able to turn off, feel free to suggest them. We also offer customizations and custom reports. If you're interested, please call the office or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank you again, we appreciate your business!

John M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great software and support!

Reviewed on 2021/05/22

We have been using Kennel Connection for 10 years. Started with KC6 with one location to now using KC7 with multi-facilty module with 2 locations.

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team are a pleasure to work with and always seem to resolve issues we encounter very quickly. The online service portal allows easy upload of data files for analysis and repair and allows us to maintain minimal interruptions to our business when an issue is discovered.

The software itself has seen many changes and features added over the past few years and confirms their commitment to ensure it meets our needs

Pros

Overall the software works well for Daycare, Boarding, Grooming, Training and other services. The software is quite flexible once you complete the training period. While the core software is not easy to learn and navigate, the addition of the Live Access module has significantly overcome this.
The integration between all the modules listed above is seamless and works amazingly well with multi-locations. The ability to sync clients and packages/accounts between the locations allows customers to attend any of our locations knowing their information and credits are avaliable.

Cons

As a multi location facility the one shortfall in the software is the lack of thriv Live Access module for multi-location facilities. However we have Been advised this is in development.

The other shortfall is the inability to create custom reports.

Becky K.

Amazingly easy program!

Reviewed on 2018/01/15

great organization

Pros

We have been using KC since 2002!- could not be happier with customer service and easy of use- I have never been computer savy and have never had a problem or complaint that customer service is not quick to explain or help with. We have a good size staff and all are quick to learn on this user friendly, easy to navigate system.We use the online version and have been very impressed with it, despite not having the greatest internet service- we have a pickup and delivery service and the online system is very helpful to access remotely. Also, nice to be able to access and work on from home. I have seen some complaints about pop up warnings, ect- these are all things that can be turned on/off as you feel they are needed- most of them we do not use- but some are extremely helpful (I do like the suggestion of having a pet name show in red if they have a warning tho) - but in general- KC gives us everything we need and more to operate an active boarding, daycare and grooming business. Could not be happier!- wish they would develope a similar program for the equestrian industry!!

Cons

not much to say as far as cons go- we use the online version and the cost seems a bit high, but not sure how I would function without it !

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Thank you for your review and your business, Becky! We appreciate it.

Lisa B.

Easy program

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

My experience with KC has been a good one. I'm old school, I like that I can keep it simple and personal or add on modules if needed. CSR in customer service has helped me tremendously over the years. Thanks !

Pros

I find this program very easy to use. Although, I'm only using a small fraction of what this software is capable of, I like the simplicity of it. I have been with KC since the 90's and have had no major issues. The price seems very reasonable. I don't have all of the extra modules that are offered at an additional price, however. I like that I only pay for the ones I want to use.

Cons

I was told back in 1994 or 1995 when this program was first purchased that I would have lifetime support. I'm finding that support harder to get lately. Perhaps because I am using 2017's model. I am someone that uses maybe 5% of what this program has to offer so updating every year-two years doesn't make sense. I don't use the benefits of updated systems and I don't think they change all that much to warrant an upgrade.

Christina W.

Great Software and Company

Reviewed on 2021/05/22

Love it
They are always available to help. They always fix any problems that may arise in the software.

Pros

Kennel Connection is easy to use (very user friendly). I also like the fact that the software is always updating and making additions to better serve our customers.

Cons

Since I have been using kennel connection for 20 years, integration was not an issue for me. However, the thing I dislike the most would be the lack of customization a lot of areas.

Dorien A.

KC Rocks

Reviewed on 2016/02/12

I've been using KC since 2007 or 8 ... When the light bulbs went off as to how it work , my thought was wow!, that's so easy... Of course we've had minor issue , But the KC support team has always been there to help, sometimes beyond their responsibility. They are always updating and open to suggestions, I have few, they are as follows
1: a 2nd Text tab (and an auto removal of the () and - for easy copy and paste)
2: left message button and a time stamp note for called & left message buttons when utilized
3: Customer access button from any page especially the the Modify Groom Appointment page
4: Most importantly Pet with warning name should be in RED on the scheduling screen not just a flashing light when opening card.

While the software cost is competitive and start up is reasonable, It is a bit over priced to renew tech support or upgrade when you have existing KC product that is a major draw back, But the soft ware is so good I swallow hard , while feeling a bit taken advantage of .
Talk to Kevin in sales , he is very customer oriented and works hard to give you the best experience possible.. Jennifer and some of the other folks I've dealt with have also been very helpful and patient with this technically challenged grandma.
I know it looks as if I had a lot of suggestion but truly in the vast ability of this software over all it's the best out there in my opinion... I've used other even had a major competitor... The best way I could describe that soft ware was so bulky it was hard to use, So I'll stick to my kennel connection for all of my locations. Oh I might mention I love that we integrate it with other computers in my salons it's wonderful to be able to check one out and check in, on the other computer at the same time... For busy salons like ours that's a major plus...

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Thank you for your review, Dorien! Please be sure to enter your feature requests in the support center so we have them on the list for the next version. We have kept our support renewal costs as low as possible and in line with competition. It allows us to continue to offer new features in the software and provide upgrades as well as have plenty of staff on hand to assist with support and training needs.

Thank you again for your kind words, we appreciate your long term loyalty!

Keith M.

Full of Business Critical Features and Industry Leading Support

Reviewed on 2022/03/10

Overall, KC and the entire team has been a pleasure to work with. We recommend Kennel Connection to any Pet Boarding, Daycare, and Grooming business.

Pros

We have been using Kennel Connection for about 9 years. Over time the product has continued to develop and has become the single most important piece of software for our business. The leadership is incredibly easy to work with, and they have quickly become trusted partners rather than just a software vendor.

Cons

As with any software development is a continuous process. There are features that we would love to see rolled out into the future, and Kennel Connection does a great job with keeping their roadmap up to date, and listens to the users on functionality the product lacks.

Ginger L.

over priced poor service too many glitches no user friendly below 1 star

Reviewed on 2017/06/02

it is an electronic client card I could have used a free program to do the same

Pros

The best service I received from this company was when I purchase it. After that I had to make a months in advance appointment to be taught the system. As a groomer who takes appointments by the week I do not know my schedule that far in advance and they want to do business with you in the middle of the work day. run far away and to make things worse I paid too much money thinking I got a complete system. Because I was not trained I use barely any of it plus to make things worse ti has glitches that has errors that just shut the whole thing off. I was promised a lot and did not get it after paying a ridiculous price and to get more I had to pay another more money as a groomer it is not like I have that much money to waste on a company with such poor customer service

Cons

over priced horrid customer service constant emails to pay them more money I am on here to find a better service for when I move and open my boarding kennel and it will not be kennel connection .

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Ginger,

I'm sorry to hear you had some issues.

I'm not sure who you spoke with, but we do not require a training session to be booked months in advance. We do ask customers to make an appointment with the training department so they have a time blocked off for each person they will spend time with, but that can often be booked the next day or within a few days, depending on our schedule and yours.

As for training, we also offer many training videos that you can watch in the comfort of your own home or shop when you have time to avoid needing to book specific time with a trainer if you so desire.

You purchased the lite version on sale, but it sounds like you may have wanted the standard version which offers more features. If I can assist you with training or anything else, please let me know.

Jennifer

A T.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Developers need to step up their game

Reviewed on 2016/11/04

I've been using Kennel Connection for 7 years now, and I second most of what has already been said in the 1 and 2 star reviews. It is beyond irritating for a program to have the appearance of Windows/MS Office without the functionality of those programs. When a list contains multiple columns, why not make it possible to sort by those columns? There is a drop down menu that allows limited sorting (by time, run or pet's first or last names) but even there, you recieve inconsistent results. If I sort the boarding window by run, then print a feeding list, the feeding information will be sorted by run. If I sort the daycare window by run, then print a feeding list, the feeding information will be seemingly random, with no order at all that I have been able to discern. Exporting anything to Excel using the Crystal reports (so that you could potentially manipulate the order of the data) produces a discordant spreadsheet, seperating information that I need on one row into a scattered mess over several rows and columns, and making it impossible to try to use Excel to its best advantage either. The daily run time errors are irritating when you are trying to be efficient, even worse is that glitches to the software updates frequently result in lost data--random client's vaccination records just disappear entirely from thier accounts. Finally, the formatting requirements for generating many of the reports on this program are flawed. If I want to get a list of expired vaccinations for example, I can't get a list that shows me any booking with an expired vaccine, unless/until I input my best guess at a range for when the vaccinations in question might have expired. Why make me guess when the point of a software program is to achieve certainty? I'm very grateful for this forum to note these difficulties, thank you.

Pros

The windows that pop up with vaccination warnings or other notes when you book a dog into a service.

Cons

See my entire review above.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello, Not knowing which company you are from as I can't find your name in our database, I would first suggest you update to the latest version. I see some things in your note that have changed. You might also want to check out our training videos, they may be of some help to you. We have a library of videos on YouTube.

If we can help you, please let us know by calling or e-mailing. We're here to help. We have a feature request forum so you can request features, a trainer on staff, a full Knowledgebase of articles and much more to assist our customers. Again, please give us a call or send an e-mail if we can be of assistance.

Thank you!

Denise J.

Great software program!

Reviewed on 2021/05/20

I had no idea how disorganized we were until we started using this program! It is a daily lifesaver.

Pros

It's easy to maneuver and not only makes a great database but it generates invaluable reports daily. We are a boarding kennel with both in shop and mobile grooming as well as doggy daycare. It has a package for each yet there are all connected. Very easy to use.

Cons

I am lucky to have a reliable IT person to help with set up and changes, but KC support is always there is I need.

Shannon K.

Some glitches

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

I hate customer service to the point that I was searching for other software to use. I like the functionality for the most part.

Pros

Great for scheduling boarding and has good reports. Excellent for invoicing. Easy to figure out.

Cons

Often vaccinations are randomly deleted. Tried to talk to customer service, but you have to buy an expensive package for them to fix glitches in their own software. Not easy to schedule reoccurring boarding appointments, that feature is daycare only.

Ellen A.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Professionalism at its best!!

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

I operate 2 facilities, and we LOVE kc!! My staff finds it easy to use and my clients really like the email confirmations that they receive with shot reminders. I know that having kc has helped give us a professional edge in our community!!

Pros

Cons

No cancellation notices sent to clients when reservation changes

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate your business!

I believe the cancellation notice is on the feature request list for the next version, but I will double check and if not, add that for you.

Missy B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Definitely a wise choice for your business.

Reviewed on 2022/03/15

Love it and can't live without it!

Pros

I love that the company is small enough for custom, personal service and big enough for world-class service!

Cons

Overall easy to use. Issues here and there but they take care of it right away!

Carol M.

Great Product Great Service

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

I have been using this software a few years now with no problems. Kennel Connection is very easy to use and if you can't figure it out the online support will have the answer for you. Give it a try you will love it!!

Pros

Everything

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Thank you, Carol. We appreciate your business and we are happy to have you as a customer.

Crystal J.

Great software but..

Reviewed on 2016/12/05

This was the first software that I ever used in my grooming career at a boarding facility. When I went out on my own and opened a grooming salon I bought this software. Loved it, but decided to try something different a few years later. While I know longer use KC, I often find myself wanting to go back to it. Their client and pet screens set up is superb! Only problem with it is the layout of the appointment book. It is difficult to use at a glance with grooming appointments and multiple groomers. Should look more like an appointment book like most other grooming softwares. Also, it has very MINIMAL, reports for the buck. This is an expensive program and should have more reports and payroll to justify the cost, but I would absolutely give up the reports and switch back if they would change the layout of the appointment tracking. It would also be nice if they would include their online booking in the demo as it's a must have for me and the amount is a lot to spend just to find out it doesn't work for me Been suggesting some of these from them for years. Hopefully someday they will listen.

Pros

Pet and client screens.

Cons

Not enough reports, expensive, no payroll, and layout of appointment screen

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hi Crystal,

We are revamping the program for the next release, Kennel Connection 7.0, and some of the schedules will be changing.

We currently have hundreds of reports available in the system now, but if a customer feels a report is missing, we have customer feature request that allows customers to request features and reports. We are adding in over 200 requests to 7.0 for the initial release.

Thank you for your review and have a great day!