Sunrise

Sunrise, formerly Billy, is a cloud-based accounting system

4,5
4,6
4,2
4,6
4,5
Daron G.
Industry: Design
Company size: Self Employed

Sunrise ok but can be great

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

My overall experience has been great except for customer service. They are great when they respond but their response time leaves something to be desired.

Pros

The price of the software is what I find the most beneficial.

Cons

They are missing a lot of features that you would normally find in this type of software such as integration.

Response from Lendio

Daron, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We strive to do better for our customers and aim to improve our product for our small business owners. We are excited to share some amazing new functionality coming to Sunrise in 2020. Keep an eye out for these improvements. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Bernard M.
Industry: Printing

Power user

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

Totally happy with the software. Hope to see Payroll implementation soon and maybe booking capability.

Pros

Since day one I was able to quickly get set up and running the first day. The UI is simple yet intuitive and has may build in options that usually would come as a premium.

Cons

The only drawback for my company is the the inability to run payroll. That's it!

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Bernard, for your wonderful 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy-to-use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. We will loop in our Product Development team to your suggestion regarding payroll. We know payroll functionality is on their list of priorities. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Industry: Computer Software
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Fantastic. The competitors can't keep up.

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Pros

The best thing about Billy is the ease of use. Now usually ease of use means "it doesn't do much."
WRONG, this is a powerful bookkeeping program. I recommend it to all my clients. You could invest more in other programs, spend time trying to figure them out, set it up wrong, pay a consultant and then only use a small portion of it, but with Billy you can do it all. (If you want they have a list of accountants and bookkeepers who use Billy and can help - but you won't need their help.)

The other big PRO is that this software is rapidly and constantly improving.

Additionally, they have a community of users who are very active in helping one another. This community also provides suggestions on how the software can improve and Billy listens. Go ask for improvements with any competing accounting software packages and you'll find you're wasting your time. Billy listens and then acts.

Bottom Line: If you are an entrepreneur you don't want to waste time or money get Billy. You don't want your employees to waste time or money get Billy. If you want to keep track of your money get Billy. If you have time or money to waste get some other program and THEN when that doesn't work like you wanted it to get Billy.

Cons

The one thing that I like least about Billy is that they don't connect with every bank. Granted, I use a small regional bank, but it is my bank and I get special treatment at my bank. I'm not going to give up Billy just because it doesn't (yet) interact with my bank.

Response from Billy

We just updated our banks to include thousand more. Please try again to see if your bank is now supported.

Omar B.
Industry: Wholesale

It's a great software

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

It's a great software

Pros

The invoicing is amazing, The software is very easy to use,

Cons

The cost of goods sold is confusing and difficult to use, the voided invoices can't be reviewed and the expenses are difficult to post as well. Also we can't connect other merchant accounts other than Chase.

Response from Lendio

Omar, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We apologize that the functionality around COGS and voided invoices. Here is a help article that might be of assistance: http://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/880984-how-to-retrieve-an-invoice-that-we-have-accidentally-deleted-or-voided. Additionally, we'd be happy to schedule a demo to walk through the feature and clarify any questions you might have. Thank you for your review, and happy bookkeeping.

Kelly Y.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: Self Employed

Perfect for small businesses!

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/04/30

Everyone I have had to talk to was super helpful and there is always help in reconciling or entering information if you need it. The feature of using an accountant to set up your business for a small fee is amazing! I decided to go back to when I first started and for a small fee they are going back to April of last year for me so that all my accounts are set up correctly and I won’t have to worry about if I am doing things right, have I applied a purchase correctly, did I add something that shouldn’t have been added and so on. Super thankful to have this option!

Pros

I like the ease of use in general and the fact it is free is a great help for startup companies like myself.

Cons

I haven’t found anything I don’t like yet.

Response from Lendio

Wow, thank you, Kelly, for the amazing 5-star review. We are happy to hear that our bookkeepers were able to help you sort out your accounts. We aim to simplify bookkeeping for our small business owners and will continue to improve our product for you. We are lucky to have such wonderful customers like you. Wishing you success and growth with your business. Happy bookkeeping!

Greg Y.
Industry: Legal Services

Great Booking Software With Service

Reviewed on 2020/06/03

Ease of use. Always on top of revenue and expenses.

Pros

Bookkeeping is not a sexy task, but Sunrise makes it bearable. And, the results are impressive.

Cons

Getting up to speed on the learning curve could be a little better.

Response from Lendio

You couldn't have said it any better, Greg. There are probably a million other things you'd like to do. But, bookkeeping is a necessary evil. We are so happy you find it user-friendly and accomplishes what you set out to do. We try to make is pleasant as possible. Thank you for your glowing review.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Intuitive, easy to set up and use!

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

I have yet to truly tap into the Sunrise features for my own business, but love the invoicing features, and am looking forward to converting everything over soon.

Pros

Sunrise offers even better features and functionality for my small business than QuickBooks online, and for a fraction of the cost!

Cons

My accountant is not interested in learning to use Sunrise. She is a Quickbooks expert, so I still have to keep my bookkeeping there and currently only use the invoicing features in Sunrise. I would really like to switch, however.

Hauke H.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

Simple Billing Software

Reviewed on 2020/05/21

Simple invoice creating. We have an accounting software in the background but that one is not that user friendly for invoicing customers.

Pros

(We don't use the accounting features so the focus is on the billing features). It is very easy to create a professional-looking invoice and share it with the customer instantly via email. It's simple to use, user-friendly and self-explanatory.

Cons

One feature that I would like to see is that I can go to the products overview and see all the invoices that have one of these products on it. In addition, it would be nice to be able to select certain products and bulk-change products (for example, increase pricing on all items selected by 2%).

Response from Lendio

Thank you for your positive feedback. Sunrise strives to make creating and sending professional-looking invoices to customers as seamless and stress-free as possible. We're glad to hear that you found the process effective! Unfortunately, we do not have the bulk-change product items capabilities yet, but we've brought the suggestion to our product team. However, if you want to change a product price and have it reflected across all invoices, go to Settings > Product > click to edit a product. Please reach out to us if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

Art R.
Industry: Publishing

Easy to use Accounting Foundation, Impressive Road Map

Reviewed on 2018/11/24

Billy is a small business accounting lifesaver. I love how Billy saves me time in day-to-day operations and keeps me compliant with my books. My accountant even loves Billy (and she used to recommend that "books" software). Thank you Billy!

Pros

For the first time in 20+ years accounting is not a frustrating and overly expensive task. Billy has provided my companies a easy to use and nearly complete solution that does not cost a fortune or hold me hostage. Using Billy has saved me countless hours each month for the past 18 months. It's streamlined and logical workflows, dead simple invoicing, and reasonable fees make Billy a real winner for small business.

Cons

The only gotcha with Billy is their integration with PayPal accounts is not as clean as it could be. The company is on the right track and should have this issue resolved shortly. The support team at Billy has been fantastically helpful and understanding. They not only know accounting, they know how to help people.

John S.
Industry: E-Learning

Great invoicing software

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/05/27

The customer service has been good, the software just plain works.

Pros

I have been using this application for a couple of years now (it was bought out and originally had a different name) I like that it's easy to create recurring invoices and retain client information for collecting payments.

Cons

At one point customers got rebilled all of a sudden and normally that was not a functionality that existing in the invoicing tool. It's actually a good feature but I didn't expect that to happen and it caught one of my clients off guard.

Response from Lendio

Hi John, we appreciate you leaving us a review and being a Sunrise member. We are so happy to hear that you are satisfied with the recurring invoices feature. We apologize for the glitch that rebilled your clients. We hope the problem was fixed in a timely manner that it did not impede your business workflow. Thank you for your feedback!

Randall B.

Sunrise is a Good Free Alternative to Hiring a Bookkeeper

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/04/30

As i said, the ability to create and send invoices solved a big problem for me. I can also track them and mark them paid in just a few minutes rather than paying someone else $100 or more monthly.

Pros

I found Sunrise while looking for a simple means of creating and sending invoices to school systems, and the software definitely made that easy for me. After spending an hour or two working with various options involving things like Google Docs and MS Word, I was very pleased to have an invoice created and sent within the first 10 or 15 minutes of using Sunrise.
The orientation and customer support are also outstanding. The Sunrise Success Team reached out to me as soon as I signed up, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided a great intro to Sunrise. He also found answers to a couple of technical questions I had.

Cons

The cons have to do with my ignorance of standard bookkeeping practices, especially the double-entry system. Wrapping my mind around that was a struggle, and I still don't have all my entries in the correct place. (I don't have a ton of entries, so I prefer my spreadsheet for tracking things right now.)

Response from Lendio

Randall, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

Industry: Writing & Editing

Free invoicing software

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

I've been using it for 5+ years to invoice my clients.

Pros

I love that I can keep track of all my invoices, let clients pay with credit card or PayPal, and send invoices customized with my branding.

Cons

Honestly there's not much I dislike about it. Of course I don't use it for accounting, only invoicing, because it has limited functionality with accounting.

Matthew R.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Customer service was terrible. Very frustrating. Tried hard to make it work for several days

Reviewed on 2017/06/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Looks pretty. Wish I could have used it. Looks amazing from the surface. Customer support was terrible.

Cons

I don't know WHEN I have more frustrated with a companies 'service'. VERY frustrated. I was excited about this deal and jumped right on it. I tried syncing with my Cap One Spark business account (from my phone) and it didn't work so I emailed asking if this really wasn't an option. I got a list of 9501 banks emailed to me NOT in alphabetical order. What am I supposed to do with that?

I tried the chat option and explained when I added my cap one account it pulled in my PERSONAL banking details and not my business accounts which made no sense. They told me to talk to cap one, which I did.

Then I tried adding my business account info again and it kept reverting back to my previously synched personal accounts. Frustrating. So I went ahead and added my personal bill account and then deleting it and hoping that would work. Nope.

I tried calling over and over and it was always busy. They take forever to respond on chat and were not helpful at all. I finally got ahold of them and they said they dont have phone support.

Free support
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 241-7365
Help center: www.billyapp.com/support

That's right on the dashboard when new users sign in. I get ahold of them via chat and Joshua suggesting 'bombing' the account and starting over which I did. He said 24 hours later I could try again and hopefully it would work that time. Even though nobody did anything to help it work the next time but maybe so.

Here we are over 24 hours later and, of course, it pulls up my personal (not business) info.

I give up. Incredibly frustrated by the terrible response, being sent a list of 10k sites to dig through, being given a number they DON'T answer, having chat and not being very available.

James E.

An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

I have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.

Pros

What I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

Response from Billy

Hi James,

You can actually have one account with multiple organizations.

With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs.

Please contact our support to help you set that up.

Rocio Y.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

The best bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

Pros

It is simple and easy to use and integrates with many other softwares.

Cons

I can't go back and check the date that the payment was entered if it was not made directly by the customer.

Response from Lendio

Thank you, Rocio. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping and continue to improve our product. Thank you for your review, and happy bookkeeping.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Better than quickbooks, but still not the best

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

I've used quickbooks, freshbooks, xero. Billyapp does fill in the gap, but some extra features (mentioned in the cons) will make it #1

Pros

Simple and fully functional accounting & billing system that has multi-currency invoicing

Cons

Doesn't have recurring expenses, unable to generate customer statements, unable to apply a discount % or amount in an invoice.

Website is not mobile responsive.

app name "billyapp" sounds 'Naff', when i tell clients to check their email for our invoicing system sent from "billapp"...

Could I use my own custom domain or you use another domain to send emails?

Response from Billy

You are able to create customer statements and apply discounts to invoices. Please contact our support for help.

Jonathon R.
Industry: Retail

Extremely simple and great to use

Reviewed on 2016/08/25

Setting up and getting started was super easy. We use this software for a retail store selling appliances, so lower volume of transactions a day makes it super easy and to track customer purchases.

Pros

Simple to use and easy to get started.
Great simple accounting interface with all your necessary reporting

Cons

No inventory management if you need it.
Would like to see a PO module in the software in the future

Response from Billy

Hi Jonathon,

You can create a PO module by renaming Estimates to PO in the template.

Contact our support to learn how.

-Billy

Darryl D.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

I can track my own finances

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

I was intimidated by leaving the spreadsheet and shoebox method of accounting. With very little time and some help from support, I was tracking my income and expenses, categorizing transactions in a way that makes my accountant happy, and invoicing my clients from one integrated platform.
I use it daily and recommend it to friends.

Pros

Simple learning curve, easy invoicing, white label branding

Cons

growing pains of a young software but their support is good at keeping me updated on things

Robert M.

I use Billy for my Accounting. Bills in, Bills out

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

Pros

Great interface and reporting. Syncs with all the bank accounts I need it to. Great support team. They offer add-ons to help you understand your bookkeeping

Cons

Missing some features.
Ability to accept partial payment
Bank Transfers through Billy
Some issues with Stripe

All are being worked on

Lindsay R.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Easy to use and set up

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/05/09

I'm able to view my invoices from any computer and don't have to search for them

Pros

I love that I am able to add images to the invoices is a great feature and having the picture there makes it easier to look up the cost of an item if I ever need to use it again.

Cons

I wish you were able to see if and when the client opened the invoice. I had a few clients tell me they did not receive the invoice. They did eventually find the email after I had them check their spam folder.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Industry: Executive Office

Love Billy

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

I love that this is a double- entry accounting platform. They have the ability to capture receipts and sync to my bank which is a HUGE plus. The ability to create recurring invoices is an added bonus for me as a solopreneur. Any aspect of time savings multiplied throughout my week and month is a great bonus.

Cons

The only downside for the software, for me, right now is their inability to auto=charge ACH drafts for recurring invoices. This would be a lifesaver for me for my retainer clients. Yes, they can pay via ACH, but for whatever reason none of my retainer clients have started paying that way. Any way we can make it easier for our Cilents to pay the better, and ACH would drastically reduce credit card fees.

Great experience. In love using Billy to send invoices to my clients.

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

My company finances are more organized after I start using Billy.

Pros

Billy is an accounting system very easy to use but at the same time it has all the advanced features a company need in a app like this one.

Cons

I dd not find the reports to be very advanced but for sure most of people does not need it as I came from Quickbooks/

Laura B.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
Company size: Self Employed

Smart software choice for self-employed

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

Easy to set up, navigate functions, upload and scan receipts - excellent customer support when I had issues.

Pros

Fairly easy for a non-techy person to get into and once set up makes the accounting process so much easier (almost enjoyable).

Cons

UK bank sync took time and I had to enter data manually.

Judy F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Sunrise saves time and adds balance

Reviewed on 2020/07/09

My experience has been extremely positive. I really like and appreciate my bookkeeper, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Her demeanor and helpful approach are easy to work with.

Pros

The software is very intuitive and I love the invoicing option.

Cons

I can’t say there is a feature I don’t like.

Response from Lendio

Hi Judy, thank you for amazing review! We really appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to continue improving our product for our customers. We are so happy to hear that your bookkeeper is meeting your business needs. We are lucky to have her on our team. Wishing you success and growth in your business.

Katie B.

Billy is wonderful

Reviewed on 2017/09/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The design of it, and how easy it is to use. Also their customer service is amazing. They are very responsive.

Cons

It's still somewhat new, so they are still rolling out features that we are looking forward to. We are waiting on a few in particular.