Hemlane

All-in-one leasing and property management solution

4,8
4,9
4,7
4,7
4,9
Jessica M.
Industry: Real Estate

Great value and customer support for small business owner

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

We did extensive research when choosing on online platform for the management of our properties. Hemlane was one of the only platforms that we felt truly protected on, as landlords who are conscious about legal concerns around allowing online payments. But we also greatly appreciate that the software is easy to use for our tenants, and so far, they really appreciate the functionality of it! It’s made communication and processes so much more seamless!

Pros

Being able to provide my tenants with a secure platform for online payments and communication has made our operations so much more seamless! The customer service has been exceptional, and there are so many other features we are still learning, ad have yet to implement. What a great value for our money as a small business!

Cons

The financial features are still basic, but I appreciate their compatibility with QuickBooks and other software.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Jessica! And, we look forward to improving the financials for you!

Lukas L.

Feedback from an engineer

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

Excellent. I'm glad we chose Hemlane. It is my secret tool that i don't think many landlords have heard about. The big names out there dominate the market, but we tried a few of them very systematically and i wasn't impressed with them at all. As an owner that wants to take 10 units now, to 100 someday, i put A LOT of time and effort into evaluating software to try and select which one was going to be the best for our goals, grow with us, and also help us grow.

Pros

This software was made to make your life as a landlord easier and streamline many of the steps and tasks necessary when it comes to managing tenants. I spent quite a few hours filling out a decision matrix to select which software platform we were going to use. Hemlane was the easy winner with the items which we weight heavily and features that we wanted. Most of our weights and preferences stem from wanting to have a very streamlined and efficient property management system.

Cons

I think that coming on board and understanding how the Hemlane process works from the time a prospective tenant is interested to the time they are all set up as a tenant was not very well communicated. We kind of had to figure it out on our own. There is so many little nuances with what the software does, how it communicates, how it advertises, what happens when a prospective tenant reaches out from a 3rd party site via email, etc. Thought the software is set up great and i wouldn't change much, but some training when purchasing the product for the first time would have eliminated a lot of headaches and questions for instances like were mentioned.

Also, PLEEEEEAAAAASSSEEEE make an android app. The mobile version of the site does not seem to work well. Both myself and tenants have had problems with it.

Michael S.
Industry: Banking

My Experience with Hemlane

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

I wanted to automate my rental management somewhat to improve efficiencies and have the ability to onboard clients easier, automate the application and marketing processes, as well as warehousing the information and documentation in the cloud for remote access. I accomplished all those goals. It's relatively easy to learn and has good functionality. Mu experience was very good.

Pros

Cost was fair, complexity was understandable and not overwhelming for my application, it provides the desired detail and organization to assist me in managing a small portfolio of personally owned rentals. I am not using all the features yet, but I particularly like the ability to market properties from the software. It compared well in terms of cost - benefit to other products on the market.

Cons

I would like the ability to customize expense categories further for the property cash flow component, but I'm still learning and have found suitable workarounds as my knowledge of the software improves. It would be helpful if expense categories matched those on a schedule E tax form. The online application information requirements (for applicant's) is a tad weak and abbreviated, more required detail here would be helpful.

Mark F.

Terrific tool, really enjoy how it's made my life easier!

Reviewed on 2017/11/15

Pros

It's pretty quick and easy to get right into it and start working. And, I have never experienced such incredible customer support with software - simply the best, and the standard by which all others should be judged.

Cons

There are a couple functionality elements that sometimes leaving me scratching my head. But once I get it, I'm good to go.

Jenny M.

I like Hemlane

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

It's been a good experience overall.

Pros

The main features I use are the rent payment options and maintenance requests. I have really only used it for rent payments/income and electronic payment management, plus maintenance requests. It's helped me keep track of rent payments, it's also been greatly accepted by the tenants who really prefer to set up automatic electronic payments for their rent. It's also nice to have tenants contact me via Hemlane.com for maintenance/repair issues. It's much easier to track items that need addressing and it's less stressful to be contacted in that way.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints currently, definitely happy with it overall.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Debbie R.
Company size: Self Employed

Superior software and support at a very reasonable price

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

My initial communication with Hemlane was with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] a Hemlane support representative who instantly impressed me with his knowledge of the Hemlane software and property management in general. Not only was he extremely helpful in answering my questions, but he also took the initiative to input my property information in order to get me up and running as quickly as possible. He continued to follow up with me until all my questions were answered and I was able to navigate the platform on my own, which did not take long. He is a valuable asset to Hemlane and I very much enjoy working with him.

Pros

1. See pertinent information about properties/tenants at a glance
2. Keeps track of financials and maintenance in real time
3. Emails updates on financials and tenant communication
4. Assists with marketing of properties
5. Relatively easy to navigate
6. Support services are awesome! Both human and web-based.

Cons

1. Extra charge for marketing rentals to some popular websites

Mike Z.
Industry: Real Estate

User friendly and highly efficient

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Hemlane is so user friendly it significantly cuts down on the time I used to spend and now I can spend more time growing the business.

Pros

I love how simple it is to use. Our tenants and owners love it as well. Excellent software!

Cons

The only con was during the transition, getting all our owners onboard. Some of them are not techy and resisted change. However, Hemlane support was tremendously helpful and make the process much better.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Mike for your review and the Hemlane team looks forward to providing support to you and your rentals!

Tony R.
Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Easy and simple Process

Reviewed on 2019/10/23

Pros

I like that I can receive payments from my tenants and not be charged transaction fees.

I also can keep up with my leases in one spot I can access all tenants profile.

Cons

Some times I get lost going from one tab to another . My rep is always there to help.

Mackenzie G.
Industry: Real Estate

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Hemlane is a Rockstar!!!!

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Love! Love! Love! If I can give 100 stars I would. Communication and trust is crucial in my line of work and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has made this process sooooo easy. He answers all my questions in a timely manner and is confident which makes me feel good. Makes me feel like I am in good hands. So far he has not disappointed.

Pros

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the primary reason why we chose the software. He has been amazing

Cons

There is nothing about the site that we do not like we love it all

Joe A.

Great Organizational tool and Timesaver

Reviewed on 2020/11/09

The lady that set me up, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], is amazing. Very patient, knowledgeable, courteous and easily accessible as is [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in Tech Support.

Pros

It really helps me keep much better organized and save a lot of my time

Cons

It's a little complicated but Tech support is fantastic to get through those more complicated steps

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Joe for the review. And, we're coming out with some enhancements to the financials for you.

Danny G.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great product for partial self-management on remote properties.

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

I own 21 properties, 30 doors. We experimented with 2 properties in Florida (I live in Utah) and we were very impressed at how well it worked. We have recently moved 2 more remote properties from Illinois and 2 from Tennessee. We would move all our Florida properties over if Hemlane had a larger footprint in Florida.

I also use their "simple" option for my local properties now which allows me to use there financial tools to collect rent and manage tenant needs w/o their local network of agents and full maintenance service.

It is a good tool for those that want to reduce program management cost and be a little more involved with the program management itself w/o being overwhelmed.

Pros

- Allows me to cut property management costs significantly while still having 3rd party property management tools at my disposal.
- Allows me the flexibility to choose how involved I want to be in the management process.
- Provides excellent financial tools and workflows to collect rent, handle late fees and pay team professionals online. All of which is automated.
- Fully handles maintenance requests from tenants where I have full visibility and can interact as needed.
- Handles tenant emergency calls.
- Provides a local network of quality leasing agents that I can work with on property turns. Has excellent advertisement workflows and capabilities. Just had my first turn under hemlane and it was excellent.
- The dashboard view and financial ledger are real time and easier to understand then monthly text reports from full property managers.
- Product keeps improving.

Cons

- Some tenants had issues setting up automatic payments early on.
- Doesn't have a way to group properties.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you, Danny, for your review!
We sincerely appreciate it and look forward to continuing to work with you and expand our local agent partnerships to more regions for you.

B.j. R.

Hemlane review

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

What sticks out the most about Hemlane is the customer support. I've had a customer advocate from trial until after implementation. He's been a huge help, reliable and a valuable resource.

Pros

Hemlane is relatively intuitive, easy to use and has all the supported features I need out of property management software. The financials page gives a very good snapshot of all rent and payments outstanding. Invoicing tenants is also very easy to do.

Cons

Not sure if this is a function of the software, but it takes a minimum of three business days for rent monies to be deposited into my bank account. Do not like that delay.

Ini U.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I could not have kept costs down and realized additional revenue without Hemlane!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/12/01

Pros

I've owned an investment property for a number of years but I recently sold it to get into a better market closer to my home. I decided to manage the property myself. There were a few tips I picked up over the years from PM companies, but it's nothing like managing it yourself. The support staff did a one-time introductory tour of the product and I was off and running. The product is amazing! I was able to create the listing easily and seamlessly. With an intuitive UI I was able to filter and managed interested candidates. Hemlane also set up the showing information, which was incredibly helpful. I don't want to understate this feature. Our property was incredibly popular and there is no way we could have handled this process if it was not for Hemlane.

Once candidates uploaded their information, we submitted it for credit checks and received the report back in 24 hours. Crafting the lease agreement was seamless as well. They easily signed it and now all the lease documents are in a central location that is easily accessible with the click of a button.

The ongoing management is automated. Tenants pay through the system and if a tenant is late, Hemlane sends automated reminders. Also tenants can communicate with you through the system, which keeps your relationships professional with high tough service. I could not have kept costs down and realized additional cash without Hemlane!

Julian S.
Industry: Real Estate

The Best Property Management Software For Real-Estate Investors and Entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 2017/01/24

Hemlane is a wonderful tech enabled property management solution for real-estate investors looking for a cloud based and client centric partner that allows them to streamline their operations, cut costs, and interface with tenants and vendors in a time efficient manner. Hemlane's software is intuitive and brings traditionally cumbersome and time consuming property management processes such as rent collection, vendor coordination and payment, and leasing in to a time efficient and seamless system enabled by a superior technology backed by a professional and responsive staff. Whether you are a small real-estate investor looking to self-manage passive income generating properties, or are a full time real-estate professional with an existing full service property management staff and large portfolio, Hemlane can help modernize and professionalize your property management processes.

Pros

Hemlane is intuitive, client centric, and I like that it is developed first for a cloud and mobile environment.

Cons

I only hope that Hemlane keeps adding features I reccommend--they have been very receptive to client feedback, and work to incorporate both design and functional changes as they make iterative improvements to their platform, and build out the technology's capabilities.

Steven W.

Best decision I have made since starting my own property management company this year!

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

Hemlane is the best kept secret in the property management software industry! I started my own property management company this year, and was shocked by what the larger property management software companies were asking on a monthly basis. Most of them stopped talking to me because I didn't have 500 properties on my hands. Hemlane allows me to set my own showing schedule, confirms showings automatically so I'm not wasting my valuable time, produces a totally seamless online application in screening process, allows me to simply transfer applicants into tenants with the push of a button, I can send and receive funds electronically from landlords / tenants / vendors without surcharges, and much more. Any other issues I've had with setting up my company through Hemlane has been resolved by rep within a matter of minutes. I could not recommend this company enough, especially if you're thinking about starting your own property management company.**** I have worked for large property management companies in the past that used some of the big-name software companies, and I know that the value cannot be beat****

Cons

I wish that the 1099 feature came standard with the service. I have not had the software for more than a year, so in all fairness, I am assuming that all of my financial transactions on Hemlane will easily transfer to QuickBooks. I have not been disappointed By REP and her team yet!

Cindy Y.

Hemlane experience

Reviewed on 2020/04/07

Good. Hemlane has satisfied the following needs I want in my day to day operating business as a property manager - marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request

Pros

Software is available on both desktop and mobile devices with same functionality. Ease of usage and good value for the top priority functionalities that I need the most using a property management software for small size property owners. This includes marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request management. I have not fully experienced the leasing interfacing aspect with clients so I am looking to explore the leasing capability.

Cons

When an operation fails to perform, it simply prompt an error message. I would like the software provides more assistance to user by giving them more information what triggers the error message and how one can fix it themselves. I have been reaching out to support for assistance each time this takes places. I am amazed the responsiveness I received from support team so far. But I can foresee this support model will not last as more users using the software. Sometimes, it can be due to lag time for the information to commit at the backend database that triggered the operation error. The reason why I said that is I received response from support team letting me know they are not sure why I will receive an error but they were able to complete the operation without the error.

Taylor R.

Could Not Be Happier!

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Being completely new to the real estate / property management world, I had lots of questions...but because of how easy Hemlane is to navigate, it has really helped me learn everything I need to know! In addition to making things more streamlined for

Pros

Ease of use, customer support team, organization of software

Cons

No major issues! Just a few hiccups as this is a relatively new system...specifically with work orders, since we pay them on the same date every month, it is difficult to see at a glance which orders have been completed. It would be nice to have some kind of visible notification on each work order to show new messages, invoices added, date completed, etc. Overall, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been more than helpful with any questions!

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Taylor. We enjoyed helping you set up split rent payments and other features over the past weeks.

Peter M.

Leasing Specialty

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

Excellent, the customer service has been outstanding. Also the ease of operation is great. A software these days shouldn't take weeks to master, and Hemlane is very easy to use and I feel I understand how to do things without calling or needing outside help.

Pros

The ease of use, the functions are all really easy and user friendly.

Cons

The time it takes for payments to go through. Electronically should be faster than a check. If the tenants deposit a check it will take maximum7 days to fully clear their bank. If their hemlane electronic first payment takes up to 10 days to verify it is a deterrent for them to sign up for the maintenance program.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you Peter for your kind review! We sincerely appreciate you taking time to write about our services.

We enjoy working with you and look forward to continuing to enhance our features for you (especially the faster payout for rent)!

Andrew K.
Industry: Computer Software

Makes my life much easier

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Mostly excellent! Their team is very responsive and supportive of any issues. They want YOU to succeed. They even helped me see that one of my units was underpriced and I ended up renting it out for $100/month more.

Pros

Hemlane makes it really easy for me to manage, collect and refund payments for tenants. I've been very pleased with that functionality and also the marketing automation. E.g. when you post a listing for a unit, it will automatically get posted on all the major sites where renters are looking. Then once people inquire, there is an automated e-mail response that encourages prospective tenants to fill out an application or reach out to the property contact with questions. I find this a very efficient way to manage dozens of inquiries when I post an availability and screen tenants efficiently. The application allows you to easily collect all the information for screening tenants in one place.

Cons

The user interface could use improvement. I had to reach out to support with questions a few times to learn how it works. It's not as intuitive as it could be which has created more of a learning curve than I would have liked. Processing online payments takes longer than I'd like (3-4 days)- though honestly this is probably more the fault of the ACH Network rather than anything Hemlane has control over.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Andrew for your review! We look forward to continuing to make the user experience the best in the industry! And we are happy to hear about the increased revenue with your rentals.

Jennette P.

Organized at last

Reviewed on 2019/12/16

Customer service has been my favorite part of this experience, followed closely by the hours of time saved managing my 40+ college student tenants.

Pros

It automates many of the tasks that used to take me hours to complete. It organizes and tracks payments so I don't need to go looking for records.

Cons

A little expensive. Wish there was a way to sort the full list of tenants by alphabet order, or by unit, or by move-out date. A calendaring option would also be great, for scheduling cleaning checks, maintenance, trash days, etc that both landlord and tenant can view.

Taniza K.

Great Experience!

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

I am very satisfied with my experience and will recommend it to any newbie because of its ease of use .

Pros

Having the same platform to advertise the property, communicate with tenants , have their screening done, use online payment method ,and above all keep online ledger helped me manage my properties myself single handedly. I have not used any other soft ware before (And not anyway Tech Savvy) but I can not overemphasize the helpful customer service that I got when I was in free trial period. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], helped me familiarize first with the software through ZOOM meetings ,but even after the trial period was over he responded through calls / emailed with quick solution when problem arose. problems were mostly at my end not able to understand the functionality. I think It took me a two weekend to learn the software .Tenants love the online bank to bank transfer feature and ability to send message directly to owner.

Cons

I still have minor problem with the financial and ledger keeping tab.

Joel L.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Automate Your Property Management Business

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

The overall ease of use is exceptional. I love the ability to automatically inform my tenants of payment and assess late fees if needed. Having the ability to store my lease and walk through documents in a single place is fantastic. It has been great when I managed my properties by myself and has allowed me to scale up with a team seamlessly.

Pros

Hemlane makes property management easy. I never need to follow up with my tenants about payment. It also makes it easy to schedule showings by sending the photos and other marketing material to 40+ sites for advertising.

Cons

I really have no complaints. If I HAD to say something that I like least I would say that it takes some getting used to to understand where things are (navigating the interface).

Brian G.

Best Value and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2020/03/08

They are very responsive. The agent I used to get the account was awesome and easy to work with.

Pros

I like that it's automated. My tenants use it with ease and I can see where the money is at. It links directly with my bank accounts and keeps the books for me.
It's as close to having a book keeper that I've ever had.

Cons

The interest in showing screen, I have to create a showing first and then I can invite them, not just invite them to the showing.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Brian, for your kind review! And we have some new enhancements with showings. I think you will enjoy them (you can automatically invite a tenant to a showing now)!

Hyunyoung C.

Highly recommend it

Reviewed on 2017/01/18

I moved for my job and left my property to OneRent for rental income. And then I had to fire them because of their poor performance and lack of communication. The transition was challenging not only because I was away, but also because OneRent won't cooperate. the founder was very patient & professional to handle all the issues and bring everything back into normal. While I was struggling with OneRent, I missed the chance to rent out my place, but she was able to find a good tenant after 3 showings.

There are a bit of work involved - filling a few forms and so on. But these are the things that any landlord would like to be involved or at least wants to know. There is absolute transparency in the process and the fee is substantially low. Most of all, Dana is very knowledgeable and fantastic at handling the issues.

One more thing - not sure if OneRent was trying to rip me off or if the price with Hemlane experts are reasonable. In any case, I got two quotes from these two property managers for the same job and Hemlane's quote is 40% lower than OneRent.

In all, I highly recommend hiring Hemlane - it is good to know what's going on and my property manager has my back.

Pros

Transparency on the rental business and good communication channel with my tenants & property manager.

Cons

Need some work to complete the work - not exactly full service, but it is good that I could have a control.

Andria P.

Great opportunity for Investors to save $$ and Realtors to gain new business

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

Small business with a large reach! The staff is second to none and I never have trouble accessing a professional from their team when needed. My clients have been really impressed with the caliber of contract help that Hemlane coordinates from showing agents like me to maintenance and repair folks.

Pros

Software is constantly being improved with new and updated offerings. It's a simple forum in which rents can be received, maintenance requests can be made, and comprehensive marketing can be executed with syndication to all of the hottest rental sites!

Cons

There is nothing I DON'T like about the software, though I would love to have the availability of personally branded pages for real estate agents to send to referral clients.