Hemlane

Write a Review!
All-in-one leasing and property management solution

4.8/5
4.7/5
4.7/5
4.8/5

Andrew
Andrew

Makes my life much easier

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Mostly excellent! Their team is very responsive and supportive of any issues. They want YOU to succeed. They even helped me see that one of my units was underpriced and I ended up renting it out for $100/month more.

Pros

Hemlane makes it really easy for me to manage, collect and refund payments for tenants. I've been very pleased with that functionality and also the marketing automation. E.g. when you post a listing for a unit, it will automatically get posted on all the major sites where renters are looking. Then once people inquire, there is an automated e-mail response that encourages prospective tenants to fill out an application or reach out to the property contact with questions. I find this a very efficient way to manage dozens of inquiries when I post an availability and screen tenants efficiently. The application allows you to easily collect all the information for screening tenants in one place.

Cons

The user interface could use improvement. I had to reach out to support with questions a few times to learn how it works. It's not as intuitive as it could be which has created more of a learning curve than I would have liked. Processing online payments takes longer than I'd like (3-4 days)- though honestly this is probably more the fault of the ACH Network rather than anything Hemlane has control over.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Andrew for your review! We look forward to continuing to make the user experience the best in the industry! And we are happy to hear about the increased revenue with your rentals.

Michael
  • Industry: Banking

My Experience with Hemlane

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

I wanted to automate my rental management somewhat to improve efficiencies and have the ability to onboard clients easier, automate the application and marketing processes, as well as warehousing the information and documentation in the cloud for remote access. I accomplished all those goals. It's relatively easy to learn and has good functionality. Mu experience was very good.

Pros

Cost was fair, complexity was understandable and not overwhelming for my application, it provides the desired detail and organization to assist me in managing a small portfolio of personally owned rentals. I am not using all the features yet, but I particularly like the ability to market properties from the software. It compared well in terms of cost - benefit to other products on the market.

Cons

I would like the ability to customize expense categories further for the property cash flow component, but I'm still learning and have found suitable workarounds as my knowledge of the software improves. It would be helpful if expense categories matched those on a schedule E tax form. The online application information requirements (for applicant's) is a tad weak and abbreviated, more required detail here would be helpful.

Reasons for Switching to Hemlane

Cost, simplicity, applicability to my needs, very responsive customer support with direct line to assistance.
Juan

Hemlane is a good product

Reviewed on 2023/07/15

Pros

Excellent lease tracking which provides a relatively seamless way for tenants to pay electronically

Cons

I don’t like that in Financials, I can’t look at what’s outstanding for the current month without filtering

Response from Hemlane

Juan, thanks so much for your review! We appreciate the time you took to write this and to provide our team with feedback on the Financials. We look forward to continuing to improve our services with this in mind.

Jenny

I like Hemlane

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

It's been a good experience overall.

It's been a good experience overall.

Pros

The main features I use are the rent payment options and maintenance requests. I have really only used it for rent payments/income and electronic payment management, plus maintenance requests. It's helped me keep track of rent payments, it's also been greatly accepted by the tenants who really prefer to set up automatic electronic payments for their rent. It's also nice to have tenants contact me via Hemlane.com for maintenance/repair issues. It's much easier to track items that need addressing and it's less stressful to be contacted in that way.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints currently, definitely happy with it overall.

Reasons for Switching to Hemlane

The other products I was looking at had a higher minimum number of units (different payment structure too). The others were also built/focused on much larger property management operations.
Ted
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Powerful and easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/02/10

Pros

I just switched over to Hemlane from AppFolio and what a difference. Even though AppFolio is the bigger company, it’s buggy, and complicated to use. Hemlane is a breath of fresh air and the user experience is much better. I’ve had several great experiences with the customer service team and they were always available to answer question a. Highly recommend and only wish I switched earlier.

Cons

Small feature requests and need to be a bit more clear when selecting options in settings.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Ted for the kind review, and we can't wait to get all of those UI/UX changes in for you!

Nancy

A Valuable Resource to Property Managers

Reviewed on 2023/11/08

Great! I only wish I had found them years ago. I have been using their service for about 2 years now, and I will always continue to use their service for as long as I own and manage properties.

Pros

What I value most about Hemlane is that it takes SO much pressure off my shoulders from the day to day business in collecting rents from tenants, and depositing them into my bank account. (without me having to nag my tenants). Hemlane keeps after them if they are late. It is like keeping my contact with the tenants at arms length and keeping it on a very professional basis. That saves my sanity!
-Also, if I have any question about how to set up a particular setting on a tenant or to make a correction in my settings, when I call, I always get a prompt reply and very helpful advice .

Cons

Nothing. My overall experience has been very positive.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you so much for taking your time in reviewing us Nancy! We love hearing that the switch to Hemlane has streamlined your rental business!

Shawn

Best software out there.

Reviewed on 2023/09/11

Highly recommended

Highly recommended

Pros

Product is easy to use, great staff when you have a question, and works flawlessly.

Cons

Needs a mobile app for this to be a complete package.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks for the review Shawn! We are happy to hear that Hemlane has been able to help with your rental properties!

Stanley

Hemlane is good for the price

Reviewed on 2023/09/02

Pros

It is pretty easy to use. Automatic billing and

Cons

Do not know how to customize application. for tenant. Do not know how to split utility bill between tenants in a building

Response from Hemlane

Hi Stanley, thank you so much for leaving us a review. We appreciate the feedback you provided in regards to splitting the utility bills between the tenants, we will keep this in mind as we continue to improve our services!

Jeannine

Hemlane is an Amazing product!

Reviewed on 2023/08/23

AMAZING! Great product great customer service!

AMAZING! Great product great customer service!

Pros

Customer service is amazing. The software is easy to use and straightforward. Most important is my clients love it!

Cons

So far nothing! They do an amazing job. All of the issue so far have been user error

Response from Hemlane

Thank you for your review Jeannine! We appreciate you taking time to write about our platform. We're especially glad to hear that your experience with our customer service team has been exceptional!

Pamela

Great software for rentals!

Reviewed on 2023/11/07

I really like this product and find it is efficient for our use.

I really like this product and find it is efficient for our use.

Pros

I love the ease of using this product along with the storage capacity and alerts. I also love that you can set up your own applications and really decide how you want to use the product.

Cons

I think the support could be a bit better.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you for reviewing us Pamela, we love to hear how users like yourself can fully utilize Hemlane to support your rental business!

Wendy

Hemlane Review

Reviewed on 2022/07/25

As a business and for the platform for our tenants I would give it 5 stars . Once you learn to navigate the system it is pretty user friendly and as I mentioned the tech support is top of the line !

Pros

Hemlane is GREAT for smaller companies in real estate who have under 50 doors. It has a ton of great features that allows us to keep in touch with our tenants, process their payments on line , assign and track work orders upload all their documents so we both have access to them , and so many more features. Their support staff is also AMAZING !!! Every time I reach out and have a question if my call isn't answered right away I receive a call back the same day . The tech team is always so friendly and knowledgeable . It's always a good experience talking to them .

Cons

It dose take some work when you are changing platforms to get everything switched over. I have also had some issues with "older" tenants who may not have a lot of computer experience trying to get their on line rent payments set up , but they always seem to get it accomplished . I will also refer them to the support team to help them if needed.

David

Excellent product, facilitates all aspects of property management

Reviewed on 2023/06/19

This program has greatly facilitated my ability to manage property, even though when I started I knew little about it.

Pros

Easy for tenants to navigate. Takes care of all the aspects of the property management. Love that I don't have to deal with money. All documents in the right place. Useful for screening tenants.

Cons

Integration with Zillow could be improved. Need a mobile app for tenantsPatients can not find the property guide too easily.

Response from Hemlane

David, thanks so much for the review! We appreciate you taking time to provide us with some feedback. We look forward to improving our services for you with this in mind.

Cindy

Hemlane experience

Reviewed on 2020/04/07

Good. Hemlane has satisfied the following needs I want in my day to day operating business as a property manager - marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request

Pros

Software is available on both desktop and mobile devices with same functionality. Ease of usage and good value for the top priority functionalities that I need the most using a property management software for small size property owners. This includes marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request management. I have not fully experienced the leasing interfacing aspect with clients so I am looking to explore the leasing capability.

Cons

When an operation fails to perform, it simply prompt an error message. I would like the software provides more assistance to user by giving them more information what triggers the error message and how one can fix it themselves. I have been reaching out to support for assistance each time this takes places. I am amazed the responsiveness I received from support team so far. But I can foresee this support model will not last as more users using the software. Sometimes, it can be due to lag time for the information to commit at the backend database that triggered the operation error. The reason why I said that is I received response from support team letting me know they are not sure why I will receive an error but they were able to complete the operation without the error.

Daniel

Love Hemlane

Reviewed on 2023/06/18

Pros

Online rent collection portal, augmented repair maintenance assistance and network, marketing tools, good price.

Cons

I wish I had a place to store private notes about a property.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you for your review Daniel! We're happy to hear that our platform is able to help you automate your business. We look forward to improving our services for you!

Darren

Great online app

Reviewed on 2023/06/19

Pros

Don’t know what I would do without Hemlane. Great for tracking maintenance requests, rent payments, leasing, etc

Cons

There’s nothing I can think of here right now

Response from Hemlane

Thanks for the review Darren! We're so happy to hear that we're able to help you with all these aspects of your rental business!

Hemlane - Yes, You Can Manage Your Properties

Reviewed on 2021/07/15

Very strong experience. I didn't think I could effectively manage my units electronically and had been with property management for several years. As it turns out, I'm disappointed in the quality of PM in the industry and I (using Hemlane) can do a much better job.

Pros

Very easy to use and tenants love it. The software options are intuitive and, in case of issues, the customer support is very professional and prompt.

Cons

I haven't found anything egregious - sometimes maintenance response can be a bit slow but that's usually because they're trying to coordinate between myself, the tenant, and the repair organization.

Miguel

Very easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/01/13

Overall my experience has been great!
Tech support is excellent and response time is within 12hrs.

Overall my experience has been great!
Tech support is excellent and response time is within 12hrs.

Pros

- Easy to use.
- Applicant screening reports back on the same day.
- Tech support always responds within 12hrs.
- Different pricing options depending on the features I need to run my business.
- Easy way to copy html code to paste on craigslist ad.

Cons

- Would be helpful to convert rent rolls and income & expense statements to PDF document for easy print or sending to landlords.
- In the application page would be good to include a field asking applicants to submit copy of photo ID.

Price
Joe

Best Property Management tool

Reviewed on 2023/06/17

Hemlane saves me a lot of time and makes keeping track of all aspects of managing my rental properties much easier and well organized at a very reasonable cost

Pros

The best part I like about Hemlane is Tech Support. The staff is knowledgeable, easy to reach, friend and always promptly solves my problems and answers my questions.

Cons

Tach support is not available evenings and weekends, but it's not that big of a deal

Response from Hemlane

Thanks for the review Joe! We love to hear that our support team has been a highlight to your experience!

Margaux

So efficient!

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Hemlane is a great tool to automate property management. Very user friendly and easy to learn!

Pros

Hemlane has helped me streamline renting, turnovers and rent collection. My tenants love the simplicity and ability to automate rent payments.

Cons

Would love a mobile app! Still able to use Hemlane through mobile browser but an app would be great!

Cost effective, user friendly

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Margaux, for the review! And yes, we have a plan to build an app to make it an even better mobile experience. Look forward to continuing to help you with your management!

Matt

Great Property Management Solution

Reviewed on 2022/06/15

Pros

Hemlane is great because it’s easy to use, inexpensive, and has a lot of great features. Additionally, the support team is great!

Cons

I wish it could stay logged in on my browser and phone so that I didn’t have to enter login info every time I want to access it.

Patrick

Great system

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

support and help implementing from Chanelle was unprecedented - I used to support software installations an I hope we were that good (we charged WAY MORE MONEY).

Pros

It does it all! Marketing is amazing not a benefit I expected. Write the ad - upload pics and it goes out to bazillion websites and the inquires start flowing instantly. Handles EVERYTHING for property management - contracts - deadlines - tenant applications - credit checks - emails are all in the system so I don't search through emails - all communications with tenants and prospective tenants are in there - collects rent through portal - no collecting checks - tracks what is due and who paid for did not paid - tracks when lease is expiring - tracks work orders - I'm not sure what else it could do. It's amazing.

Cons

I might be able to remember 1-2 tiny things that I needed but almost perfect for me.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Patrick for your review! We look forward to continuing to work with you and adding new features.

Danny

A must for landlords

Reviewed on 2020/03/18

I was able to fire an underperforming property manager, take the 10% of gross rents (plus random fees they came up with) and invest in Hemlane for a fraction of the cost and way better platform features. My property is 115 miles away and my biggest concern was collecting rents and communication with tenants. Hemlane eliminated that issue for me and made everything more streamlined and passive, which is what us landlords want from our investment properties.

Pros

Ease of use for the owner and tenant. Communication flow and accounting all in one spot with quick turn around between tenants paying rent online and the rents being deposited in the bank account. Tech support for both the landlord and tenant is outstanding.

Cons

Nothing has been an issue so far. Even in the short time I’ve been using Hemlane, the platform is evolving better ways to streamline landlord-tenant communication via text etc.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Danny for your kind review! We look forward to providing you with additional services and features, while you're 115 miles away from your investment!

Dillon

Great Customer Service and Onboarding

Reviewed on 2021/05/25

I've had a great experience with Hemlane. Onboarding could not have gone smoother and the overall value of the software is there.

Pros

The services that it provides is definitely towards the upper end for property management software. The pricing is about middle of the road which makes the value for the price pretty high. The best part about the company has been [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. I purchased a property with a tenant that had bad contact information listed. He helped give me resources to onboard the tenant and has made the software very easy to use.

Cons

The price could always be a little bit more affordable. Currently their largest option is $40/unit/month. Normally that would be very competitive but since I invest in lower income housing, it gets closer to the 8-10% that a normal property manager would charge.

Best property management for the price!

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Pros

-Dashboard gives a great overview
-Email communication keeps me up to date
-Consolidates vital info in easy to see landing page
-Easy ACH for tenants plus they love that it is free for them
-Easy management of work orders
-Easy marketing functions

Cons

-Unable to pull reports on different payment types each month (off line, ACH etc...)
-Offline payment function needs simplification
-Does not allocate late offline payments at a single point of payment screen
-Groups payments by number of "late payments" and not property or renter
-Requires other service (zInspector or others) for move-in and move-out inspections
-Does not allow for mapping of work orders to service provider

Response from Hemlane

Thank you for your review on Hemlane! Work order mapping will be coming as new features in January 2018. We look forward to supporting your management.

• Industry: Semiconductors
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Hemlane

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

I have been using Hemlane a little over a year now for a condo rental property and I am very satisfied and pleased with the service and tools they provide.

When I need help, I get prompt feedback and support. The online tool is great to have one place to go to manage and see the status on my rental properties, communicate with the tenants and see any open issues. I think Hemlane is a great value for the money. Hemlane is geared towards those landlords that want to stay a little bit involved with the management activities, rather than have someone do 100% and not be involved or bothered at all. But, their tool and service make it easier to do. And the fee structure is more based upon paying for the service you use, as opposed to flat monthly %'s of the rent. Overall, I am very pleased with Hemlane and would highly recommend them.

Pros

Cons

I know I can get a summary, but maybe a more detailed itemization of annual expenses for tax purposes would be good.