Global Shop Solutions

3,8
4,2
Joseph H.
Industry: Mining & Metals

A great solution for your manufacturing business!

Reviewed on 2014/04/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product: GSS is truly a one-system ERP. Every aspect of our business will soon be done inside of GSS. There will be no more Word documents or spreadsheets! We utilize nearly all of the GSS modules and a few non-standard modules/programs in addition. One of the most valuable non-standard modules/programs for us has been the SolidWorks to GSS upload tool. This module allows us to model a custom job in SolidWorks and upload the Bill of Material directly to GSS.
One last thing that is nice about GSS is that the number of options for your company is vast. If you don't like the way GSS handles a certain process/action, there is probably an option to change it. Or, with GAB, you can change it yourself or ask GSS to write the GAB for you.

The vendor: GSS is great to work with. They respond quickly to inquiries or problems and have a variety of pre-recorded or virtual training options (not to mention on-site training) available.

The product and vendor: GSS does not stop moving. GSS continues to make their programs and services better and better.

Cons

The product: GSS heavily utilizes Crystal Reports to generate nearly all reports. Almost a year ago, SAP (Crystal Reports) changed the level of process GSS was able to use, making the report generation slower. It has been a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless. GSS has been working on solutions for this, and it has gotten better with the latest updates. We are an update or two behind the current version (shame on us!), in which the update notes have included details about fixing this issue. Obviously, it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience for us to install the update immediately.

The vendor: Occasionally, if you are requesting personal (virtual) training with a specific trainer or on a specific topic, you may wait possibly up to a week or two. This has only happened once or twice, and they are usually able to accommodate much quicker.

Nathan T.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Powerful modern ERP

Reviewed on 2017/02/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Concerning a manufacturing company that is dedicated to maximizing value to the customer, Global Shop Solutions offers an ERP that provides access to high-end continual improvement tools without the complexity and cost of software used at much larger companies. The access to those tools such as SPC, CRM, inventory control, and workflow planning/scheduling then provides a means to gain significant competitive advantage in whatever market your firm operates in.

Pros

Global Shop's interface is intuitive. In that, the vast majority of its functionality is quite literally at your fingertips.

Cons

While Global Shop Solutions has incredible functionality for the price, it still seems to be primarily focused on a traditional model of manufacturing. Because of that, there are instances where certain modules don't quite fit with existing operations procedures and processes.

Jennifer W.
Industry: Oil & Energy

The good and the bad

Reviewed on 2017/10/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

There are some widgets/features on GSS that we do not use. Also, some of the features we use a shortcut (basically) instead of doing things the long way. Sometimes it is to our advantage, others it is not.

Pros

Payroll is an easy feature that I like on Global Shop Solutions (GSS), it is very simple. I have used other payroll software that was very difficult to use. Accounting (A/P & A/R) are also very functional. Quoting, Shop Orders,

Cons

Speed, it is very slow at times and Crystal Reports are ALWAYS slow. So many reports to print, some cannot be simplified. Many Error codes that need a hotfixes or cannot be fixed. These are the basic cons, the extended list of error codes, and hotfixes are very long and daily.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Heather T.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great Customer Service, Fantastic ERP System, Easy to Use!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/03/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

If you want to learn more about the use of this software, I recommend signing up for the Global Shop Friday Features! It is such a great added benefit and has been useful many times when I want to learn different modules and functions.

Pros

As the Human Resources Manager, my primary use of Global Shop is the Payroll function. This function is very simple to use and very user friendly. It is wonderful at time tracking for employee time on machines, jobs, or process. I love that this function gives me the ability to export the necessary reports straight to our payroll provider, which saves me time and makes my job easier. We have been utilizing the training capabilities within GS to create training guides for certain departments and it has saved me a ton of time not having to write out each step. Being able to screenshot each step of the process is wonderful and really helps my training process. Also, the support team is absolutely wonderful to deal with and very helpful anytime I have questions on how to better our system.

Cons

At times, the speed of the system can lag, and it varies from module to module.

Jon B.
Industry: Mining & Metals

We have been a loyal Gloabl Shop user since 2003.

Reviewed on 2015/03/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Great customer service and technical support. Here is a recent comment from one of our managers sent to the President of GSS;

This morning at 6:00AM I got a call from our production control person that no one could log into Global Shop. I called your 800 number expecting to get a recording but to my surprise a very cordial lady answered on the first or second ring. She took my contact information and the basics of our issue and said a service tech will be calling. “Okay….” I think, but when? Within a few minutes your service tech calls me back. By that time I had my laptop fired up and had a remote session to my office opened. He started a Fast Support session, logged onto our server and within a few minutes had the problem resolved and we were back in business. Nice!!! Nice from start to finish!

So tell your overnight call service what a great job they did. And thanks to you and to the GSS team. This is one of the many reasons I do business with Global Shop Solutions.

Cons

I'm a GSS believer! .

Rich C.
Industry: Plastics

Very dependable and great customer service!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/04/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Appreciate the follow up by Reps but really no explanation necessary. I would say 99.9% of the time we get efficient and effective response times from Global Shop. I wish all my vendors were as good as Global Shop! Thank you again for your efforts and yes you have your hands full with training but a very important business process! Go Training!

Pros

Continuously improving systems to meet ever changing business demands. Technical support very good and tremendous potential to customize.

Cons

Add-in such as ARC and GAB need more explaining of purpose and functionality. A lot of "Script" or User Fields with little explanation.

Eric S.
Industry: Automotive

We have used Global Shop for almost 18 years now

Reviewed on 2016/09/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like how integrated this software is. It seamlessly combines all departments into one software package and allows traceability through all stages of product realization. I like the promptness of the vendor on technical support.

Cons

What I dislike about this software is the learning required upfront to navigate through this ERP package.

Randy B.
Industry: Mining & Metals

Pretty usefull tool when applied correctly

Reviewed on 2016/09/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Built with manufacturing /production accountability in mind

Cons

Would like to see it come with an actual user manual with the descriptive users instructions. IE: the how to use manual if you are the operations manager. The how to if your the Quality manager. The how to if you are the scheduler etc etc.

Jason T.

Great software!

Reviewed on 2014/04/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software comes standard with all the modules. It is all-encompassing and very user-friendly. The software is very customizable, and the ability to generate detailed reports is great. Global Shop has a great customer service team. They are able to answer all of our questions in a prompt and efficient manner. When we updated from our old DOS-based ERP system, I thought that data transfer was going to be painful. Global Shop has developed an elegant solution, and the process was quick and smooth.

Cons

At times, the speed of the system can lag, and it varies from module to module.

Erica S.

A disappointment

Reviewed on 2016/11/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I "inherited" this program when I was hired into this company as the Accounting Manager. It is very cumbersome, not user-friendly at all. There are too many things the user cannot repair, purge or inactivate without calling Customer Service. They nickle and dime you for all "additional help" yet still charge high quarterly service contract fees.

Pros

The only plus I have seen is the ability to export certain data to Excel.

Cons

Most all of the program. If you have a problem in one module, it can affect all the others and make your life miserable. Help that is online is pretty lacking. They update report names and do not update the Help.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Pat M.

Excellent experience over the past 10 years

Reviewed on 2018/04/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

GSS has been a good fit for us by providing a fully developed, all-in-one business resource, from a software provider that acts more as a partner than a vendor.

Pros

We find GSS to be a highly developed ERP tool with some very sophisticated functionality; not all of which we need to take advantage of, but is there if/when we decide to. The extensive range of selective parameters allowed for flexibility in how we configured the software to function for our business, so the implementation process was key for us. And we find, even 10 years in, that these software options along with GSS’s continual commitment to software enhancements have been able to keep up with the evolving processes and informational demands of our business. And I can't say enough about their customer service support.. extremely responsive, always professional, and highly competent. In almost every instance, our service calls have been responded to the same day, and the norm is resolved to satisfaction within 48 hours of initial contact. With our business going 24/6, this level of responsiveness is critical.

Cons

Issues we had with moving between modules to gain information - or a "big picture" approach - have been satisfied with the introduction of dashboards throughout all areas of the software. Some lag in the system has developed from recent changes within the software but we believe are being addressed.

Peter C.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Solid and Flexible System with Advanced Features.

Reviewed on 2014/04/29
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product is very flexible, detailed, and truly integrated. It is capable of delivering capabilities and options that most vendors only seem able to promise. This, matched with a very high reliability, makes the system a good match for most manufacturing organizations.

The integration and interface make for a good user experience that is flexible enough to meet most users' needs. This is accomplished through the true integration of all major areas of functionality and makes operation very smooth. We rely heavily on the integrated Document Control systems to provide information relevant to users and customers through the manufacturing process and afterward. It is a huge timesaver and allows us to answer most customer questions on a single call, chat, or e-mail.

Another great advantage of this is the company behind the software. First, you are dealing with a family owned company with no intention of selling. This speaks to the commitment of the company to the product and its support. Second, they are the developers of the software, which ensures a tight integration between modules and understanding of issues. And finally, the same organization selling and supporting the software is also writing it. This is huge and avoids drawn out finger-pointing sessions between the software company and VARs that leave you high and dry with other solutions.

Cons

Dealing with issues after upgrades and limited support for older versions are a hassle. Being that it is such a complex piece of software and is tweaked to each user's needs, I understand that issues crop up, but that doesn't make dealing with them any less difficult.

Larp W.

Great ERP Software

Reviewed on 2017/11/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Highly recommend. Excellent product, User-friendly software, and people friendly company.

Pros

Great ERP software for fast-growing organization. The upgrade path from 13.0 to 16.2 was quite straightforward and provided support at every step of the process. Best experiences with their customer service and support team. All questions got resolved promptly. Our Account Manager is knowledgeable and very caring. The most important is Global Shop Solution is highly ethical and social responsibility. That is usually a good sign of how well the company is and how prosperous their future will be.

Cons

I hope Global Shop Solutions has an on-site training in the local area near us. (Southern California)

Bob R.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Needs a lot of work

Reviewed on 2016/11/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have used GSS for almost 2 years. The program is pretty powerful and has some nice ideas, but it is not intuitive and tends to have a lot of glitches.

They make it so you need to have 17 step (click, open window, close, click another part of the program, screen-shot it, click close, click open... etc.) process for something should be one or two steps max. The program makes it so if someone messes up any one of the many clicks it screws up everything. For this reason it's hard to use and requires lots of continuous physical checks to make sure you are not snowballing problems.

I don't understand why they can't make it so you can look something up in supply and demand and just click to do your required transaction. Instead, you need to have 6 screens open to gather all the information half of which you can't have open at the same time so you need to screen shot or write it all down just to finish a simple task.

It's a great idea, but the user interface is cumbersome to use and less intuitive than a bag of bricks.

Pros

Could be a great program if they payed any attention to detail and how someone uses the program.

Cons

Cumbersome to use, glitches and not very intuitive.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Scott K.

IT HAS HELPED ME WITH PURCHASING AND ASSIGNING COST

Reviewed on 2016/09/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

BE ABLE TO MANAGE ALL ASPECTS OF THE BUSINESS AND PURCHASING AND ASSIGNING COST TO JOBS AND TOOLING FOR PARTICULAR JOBA

Cons

SOMETIMES IT CAN BE REALLY SLOW MAKING PO'S AND INITIALIZING THE THE START UP CAN TAKE A LITTLE WHILE

Fernando g M.

At implementation stage

Reviewed on 2018/04/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Great implementation program, it includes a Program Manager and several consultants. Weekly meeting helps to keep on track

Cons

The safety stock does nothing to the MRP, it is the re order point and we are trying to figure it out how it works because we only have safety stocks on FG

Greg M.

Shop Manager

Reviewed on 2019/01/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Allowed us to purchase the system outright. They do give you all modules out of the box and provide free training (although it is very weak)

Cons

Do your research THIS IS OLD SOFTWARE. Their system's source code is written in the old language of COBAL. The user interface looks nice but I assure you this is old software! No screen functions the same we keep getting Cobal Error codes when we try to do simple tasks like enter a dollar amount into a quote. There is no continuity in the system. Every screen looks like you are operating a different software.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Lisa M.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Global Shop is the solution for growing companies

Reviewed on 2014/11/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the flexibility to have the software work for the way you run your business.

Cons

It would be helpful if you knew the formulas the reports were using and where the data was pulled from. It would also be helpful if there was flow chart type data that showed how all the information inter-related. Something that would tell you if you changed this setting or that setting what results to expect. Also, a way to know that by changing something what the trickle down effect would be. The search feature in the help section needs to be refined.

Tim T.
Industry: Industrial Automation

Good software with fantastic customer service

Reviewed on 2014/04/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

- Amazing customer service and support
- Easy customization
- User-friendly access to data and customer reports
- Modules flow seamlessly together

Cons

Using forecast to plan capacity is a little cumbersome. Sales reports that use forecast to project revenue are not built into the system

Floyd K.

Terrific software, terrific customer support

Reviewed on 2017/04/04

Very impressed with Global with their attention to detail and always moving to improve upon their software. Even when issues arise, Global's customer service is top notch and get the problem solved quickly.

Response from Global Shop Solutions

Great review Floyd! Thank you for being a great, great customer - we appreciate your loyalty and positive comments about our support. I will be sure to pass the review forward to the support teams.

Global Shop Solutions

Joe Y.

Global Shop happy customer

Reviewed on 2014/04/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The GS team is great to work with and solves my questions in a very short time. They are a great team to work with!

Cons

The product works great in manufacturing, but the accounting flow is complicated.

Theresa K.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Global Shop

Reviewed on 2014/09/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Thus far, the product and vendor have been helpful and responsive.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like so far.

Jeremy P.

Global Shop Review

Reviewed on 2017/02/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

As a small manufacturing company we are underutilizing Global Shop's potential, however, regarding our customer demands, it satisfies more than 80% of our needs. It is a great interface for time tracking, generating part specific costs and reports. It is not so great when I want to track quality metrics not necessarily part related.

Pros

Global Shop has given our company a wonderful infrastructure for cost evaluation and reporting. It is also wonderful at time tracking for employee time on machines, jobs, or process. We use it as a comprehensive overhead tracking tool.

Cons

Modules are expensive and customizing applications is difficult. The user interface has a high learning curve for personnel when new to this type of ERP.

Joe P.

We have been using this software now for 4 years and it's paid for itself a few times over

Reviewed on 2017/06/14

Pros

1. It cut our purchasing time literally in half, we can now run our MRP on a daily basis thanks to automated purchasing. 2. Our on time delivery increased from 72% to over 90% using the APS feature. 3. The ARC store has thousands of custom reports that were developed by Global Shop for specific customers and they make them available to all of their customers. if you see one you would like to try just install it. 4. We have full visibility of all of our work orders currently in the shop (we currently ship over 900 different work orders a month). 5 the supply and demand screen is the most useful tool I have worked with. 6. you can tell immediately if your making or losing money on a specific job. 7. Very customizable. 8. it's in all in one system no more different systems for MFG, quoting, quality and finance.

Cons

1. Sometimes when major updates are released there a quite a few issues that have to be fixed after install via hot fixes. 2.Training classes are only held in Houston which can run into quite a bit of money for a 1, 2 or 3 day class for air, lodging, food and transportation. 3. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get an answer to a problem

Paul R.

Great Company, Fanastic ERP Solution

Reviewed on 2017/02/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been using Global Shop for well over a decade and it has grown with our company. It's been great to see all the new features and modern enhancements they have been putting in recently. It does an excellent job tracking our manufacturing costs and getting things scheduled on-time. It would have been impossible to achieve our current 99% on-time delivery without their scheduling system. We use everything from scheduling to payroll and with the integration of all the modules it saves us a ton of time and money that would otherwise be split up into different software packages. My favorite feature is the option to build fully customized modules ourselves and even have the ability to download custom modules made for other customers. This gave us the ability to really make Global Shop work exactly the way our company runs and still have it integrated with all of Global Shop's modules. Global Shop's staff has always been excellent. Their management is extremely accessible and always willing to go out of their way to make sure we are happy.

Pros

-Modules to help run every aspect of our business
-Ability to customize modules to our needs

Cons

-Some aspects of the system can be complicated
-Needs more tools to flush out problems created by users not using the system correctly (garbage in garbage out)