NextGen Office Reviews

NextGen Office

4.0 (1,264)
Write a Review!
Empowering our clients to make healthcare better

(1,264)

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

Medical Records/ Information

Reviewed on 2020/04/25

Overall, I love using this website for medical information and record updates. I love being able to schedule appointments for my kids and I, it makes it really easy. NextGen still needs a little work but overall, its easy, accessible, great way to communication with healthcare providers, shows your medication and so much more great features.

Pros

I love that we are able to schedule our appointments online. I like that we are also able to see our medical records and other information about myself and other family members. I also really like that its easy access anywhere you go. I like a lot of the features on the site.

Cons

The only thing that I least like about the software is the communication on scheduling and communication between a healthcare provider can take long to 2 days or more.

Nextgen Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

I have used a few other EHR/EMR in the past, working in healthcare. Hands down, this is an overall great system that is user friendly. It's extremely straight forward when scheduling appointments and looking back at medical history.

Cons

The appearance of the whole system could use a face lift to look more appealing. It still looks like a 90s version of some sort of Windows software.

Afshin

Difficult EMR to use, even more difficult to get rid of - Poor customer service, poor tech...

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Do your research before purchasing this EMR, because once you sign up with them, it is very difficult to get rid of it. They make it very difficult to sever the ties with them, and costly to obtain your patients' records and will continue to charge you if you have authorized them to withdraw the monthly subscription from your credit card, which might be related to the lack of communication between their different departments, but nevertheless amounts to harassment and lots of time wasted disputing those withdrawals with your bank.
I also got charged twice in 1 month last year, and still waiting for a response from their accounting department to get a refund for the overcharge (despite multiple emails)
If you use their efax service, make sure you get a list of efaxes you have received to verify the overage fees they charge you (so far they have not sent me the list of efaxes and continue to charge me for overage each month despite the fact I have canceled my services)

Pros

My biller felt the practice management/billing side of meditouch/NextGen office was about average but the issues with the EMR made this product impossible and ended up switching EMR

Cons

I started my subscription with meditouch/Health fusion, later changed name to NextGen office.
The software is a billing platform with an EMR tacked on to it. I had used various EMRs during residency and in a group practice and this is the absolute worst product, most rigid software with lots of clicks and not user-friendly. Just reviewing a lab result is a hassle, needing to go in and out of the chart note, with numerous clicks in between. On several occasions, I noticed Meditouch glitching and chart associated with the labs belonged to another patient, therefore had to double check all the time, an issue that I had never encountered with any other EMR (EPIC, Cerner ambulatory, Praxis, even NextGen Enterprise etc.)
Once the sales-person had sold the subscription to me he would not return my phone calls, and customer service was practically non-existent. Eventually got assigned a new contact person who was a lot more responsive but unable to solve any of the product related, customer service related or billing related issues.
Eventually, I switched EMR, and canceled my subscription with NextGen and received a confirmation that my services were discontinued, but their billing department continued to charge my credit card on file. Make sure not to sign any authorization for the billing department to charge your credit card.
In order to export my patients' data to my new EMR, NextGen wanted $ 5000. My new EMR (Praxis) transferred the data for a fraction of the price.

Joel
Joel
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great software with loads of features

Reviewed on 2019/01/21

Pros

It has everything a practice needs including a great EHR software, Document Management, Practice Management, and more. It is also the only vendor that has NextPen which lets patients fill out forms and have that information automatically transcribed to their chart.

Cons

Some issues pop up here and there but they tend to be patched pretty quickly.

Aaron
Aaron

The out of the box templates are a good start to utilizing NextGen.

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Pros

The ability to customize the system to your workflow and streamline the documentation process. I also like the configuration templates in addition to the quick save and quick note functionality.

Cons

There are too many clicks in the system. My providers regularly discuss how many clicks are required to complete a note. There is also a lot redundancy.

NextGen Review

Reviewed on 2024/03/29

Pros

The ease of checking eligibility and benefits, although not all insurances that our doctors are in-network with are in NextGen but I think they can do better to add them in.

Cons

I hated it at first since it was too old school for me. The visual appearance made it old school and kind of boring, but eventually, I got the hang of it. I also feel like its slower than the other EMRs out there.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Incompetence with revenue cycle team and poorly built EMR

Reviewed on 2024/01/27

Poor. Been with this EMR for over 5 years and it seems to get worse every year. When you point out problems they just refer you to a different "team" within nextgen and this process continues while mistakes continue to be made. Very poor communication.

Pros

Its relatively cheap, however you get what you pay for...

Cons

Recurrent multiple mistakes by billing side (revenue cycle), very poor communication. Multiple teams handle your account but none of these teams communicate with each other causing recurrent mistakes and constant oversight by the user

Response from NextGen Healthcare

We hear your frustration. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. The experience you describe falls far short of the high standards we set for ourselves. If you are open to a live conversation, I would welcome learning additional details. Please email me at [email protected] with some time options that work for you, and we’ll set up a call. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Colleen Edwards

Justin

NextGen Office

Reviewed on 2023/08/26

Its easy to use, and very organized and efficient

Its easy to use, and very organized and efficient

Pros

The Practice Management features are great, we have 2 locations and you can see both schedules with ease. Both offices are seperate but so easy to see

Cons

Its been buggy lately, and the server has not been sable causing slow downs, but its something that can be fixed and improved on

Megan
Megan
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Run your medical office smoothly

Reviewed on 2019/04/10

Pros

This software makes communication between healthcare providers very easy. You can view imaging, send messages to the provider, document care, and keep track of when patients are checked in and checked out. It has everything you need to run a medical practice.

Cons

Sometimes there would be glitches in the software where we would have to reset the program. Like any software sometimes you have minor issues.

Candice
Candice
  • Industry: Human Resources

I've been using the software for about a year and am happy with it.

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Pros

The ease of administrating the software from and IT perspective. Easy to navigate and the service desk is quick to respond to my questions and problems.

Cons

I actually haven't had too many issues with any parts of the software. I guess the only thing I could say bad about it is that learning it was a curve.

Margaret

Professional billing service review of this software

Reviewed on 2014/07/29

Pros

What I like best is that it is cloud-based. I also like that I can scan and upload documents to the patient's chart, and when you pull up a patient, you can pretty much see all the information on your patient regarding demographics, insurance, authorizations, and what is outstanding.

Cons

There are many things I do not like about this product. Posting secondary payments is a hassle. You end up having to manually post most of the secondaries because this software gives your claim a new ID each time the claim is submitted. Even if paid by the primary and you create a secondary claim, there's a new claim #. This causes the secondary ERA payment to not know where to post the money. The claim number should stay the same for the life of that claim. Also, they tell you that you can look up the claim easily when posting a secondary claim by doing an advanced search by the patient's name. Most of the time, this is not the case. You end up having to click on multiple pages to find the claim number so you can post the payment.

I also am not a fan of the reports and the lack of filtering. Our sales guy told us that the software reports could be customized and if there was a report we wanted, we only had to ask. If there was an enhancement we wanted, we only had to ask. However, I can't even pay for a report or enhancement. When I ask for any enhancement, I am told it is not possible or that it will become part of the list, which never gets looked at apparently. Even the most simple request don't happen. For example, if an authorization is not active any longer, this should not print up on an authorization report forever. This causes the report to become gigantic. They will tell you that you can filter these things out yourself, but that is extremely tedious, especially after using the software over a long period of time and especially if this is a report you need to use every week.

Another thing about the reports is that many of them are not live. If you do work today, you can not see what is accurate until the next day. The reports will show you what was what as of close of business yesterday. Also, the salesman told us that they worked with almost every insurance company and therefore we would be able to check claim status, track claims, check eligibility, referrals. This was a large exaggeration. They have maybe five insurance companies that can do 1/2 of that.

Customer service is sometimes slow to respond, and they usually don't give very helpful answers when you send a written inquiry. The best thing to do is to call. But even then, they might not be able to help you because what you want, they simply don't have available.

Also the fee slips you will have available to use from their system are terrible. The options are very limited, and the font is extremely small and hard to read. I am a billing service, and all of my offices complained. When I asked if the font could be enlarged, I was told no, even though there was much room on the slip that was not used.

Training on this software was pretty much train yourself. You are allow three one-hour phone training sessions. You are given a lot of homework to do on your own first. If you can not make your appointment promptly, they will cancel it. If you are at your appointment but waiting on them, that is a different story. You have to do much of the setup with this software on your own, and it is not as simple as they would have you believe, especially exporting data from the old software to the new. They will tell you that if you can use an Excel spreadsheet, you can do it yourself. I had expert Excel spreadsheet staff do this for me, and it took forever to get it done. It was a nightmare and very expensive. This is because there are many requirements that are very vague. They offer pretty much no help.

If you have to resubmit a claim multiple times, all the claims get new claim numbers, and the claims you do not want stay in the claim history. This causes what you are looking at to be confusing. Even if you just have to resubmit a claim because the insurance says they do not have it on file, it stays on claim history with a new claim number.

Finally, when you have your insurances loaded in your payer list, they do not load with the addresses or phone numbers. You have to do this manually. Even when you do this and you want to print your aging report or work, the report shows without the insurance phone number or address. This is a large inconvenience when working your aging. It is also very hard to separate your insurance companies.

Simone
  • Industry: Medical Practice

I must be missing something....

Reviewed on 2015/07/26

Pros

It does have medical diagnostic tools like the Vanderbilt already included as well as an Asthma action plan/Asthma control test and several other questionnaires that are rather necessary in primary care as well as collates the information (i.e you can compare today's Vanderbilt score with their last Vanderbilt score without having to hunt down that note).

However, true to NextGen's form, the things that worked really, really well (like having the school physical form be automatically populated with the vaccines), they have somehow succeeded in completely screwing up, making the very, very few good things about NextGen a rapidly diminishing anomaly.

Cons

Where do I start??? Having to input data several different locations, it is SLOW and every single thing you want to do has to open a new window (read between the lines and understand that in an already slow program, every page you open has to load) and with all of the windows you open, there's no way to minimize them to go to another screen i.e you can't minimize the medications so that you can review the patient's last lipid panel, TSH, blood pressure, etc. You would have to close the medication module, open the orders module to review the lab then go back to the medication module and open it to make any medication changes. And if you want to make any medication changes or do any documentation at all, you have to have an open encounter and none of the encounters are labelled in any sort of orderly fashion so you have to open each encounter to find out where you put anything (again, think of each page having to load/open and taking 5-10 sec each).

Medications: you have to associate a diagnosis with every single medication if you are a provider which is an awesome idea except that if you haven't previously entered that diagnosis, you can't actually save your medication and go back to it, you have to close out of the medication module, enter the diagnosis into the assessment and then go back into the medication module and re-enter all the same information again.

Labs: there is no way to save quick phrases or phrases you use frequently so that conveying test results is, on a great day, a lengthy and painful process. Also, if you want to know how your current lab value compares with the previous ones, you have to open up the patient's chart and go into the order module.

Entering orders: again, if the proper diagnosis isn't there, you can't save your work and open something quick to pop the diagnosis in, you have to lose all of your orders, "X" out of that screen, open up the assessment screen then go back to whichever area you were in (another lovely thing: everything is separated so putting in lab orders is separate from putting in diagnostic studies which is in a different tab than putting in referrals which is in a different tab than any clinic orders (like toradol, PPD, u/a, etc). Also, if you are ordering any sort of medication to be given in the clinic (like Toradol), if you forget to add that it's a medication, it deletes the order and you have to start all over.

Various names depending on the section: sometimes it's filed under Pulmonary, sometimes it's filed under Lung, sometimes it's filed under Respiratory...and the sections aren't in any kind of order either. The routine way physicians document an exam is starting with constitutional and working your way down. Nope. Not in Nextgen. The main page of the physical exam has One Page Exam, then constitutional, then diabetic foot exam, then ears, (separate from) nose/mouth/throat then neck/thyroid then breast (huh????) on down. However, if you open up a quick-note [great concept if it worked but the software doesn't actually recognize anything is in any particular field (i.e. HPI, Physical exam) and ROS doesn't even save...so if you try to calculate the code it always comes up as a 99212)] and you want to modify the exam at all (because if you go into the one page exam and enter anything, because it doesn't actually recognize there is data there, it deletes everything except what you've just entered) you go into the "Additional" tab where the headings are (I kid you not) Neck/Thyroid then Breast then Psych then Ears then Constitutional then Respiratory then Nose/Mouth/Throat then Musculoskeletal then One Page Exam then Cardiovascular then GU then Abdomen the Skin/Hair then Head/Face then Eyes then Lymphatic then Vascular then Extremities then Rectal then Back/Spine then Neurological and on... The ROS starts with Cardiovascular and marches on down to end with Respiratory and then Vascular and one might think it was alphabetical except Reproductive is sandwiched between Immunologic and Metabolic/Endocrine.

ROS: Since I brought up the review of systems, let's stop there for a moment. There are not things listed that a patient would say; they start out strong but then in Respiratory they include things like "Known TB exposure" (not really ROS but rather PMH or even HPI) and under Cardiovascular they include "Claudication" (not likely something a patient is going to complain about) and my personal favorite, under the female ROS is "Abnormal Pap smear." While there is the ability to pick "Other," most often the drop down menu that is supplied is a restatement of the things in the first menu so you have to hit escape and just type in your own words (or the patient's words).

And on top of all of this, it has the audacity to be glitchy. One of the things it does for me is, even when I've entered an assessment, sometimes it doesn't recognize that it's there and then tells me to enter an assessment...news flash: because of the way the software is set up, you can't enter a plan without an assessment there, so if I got to the screen where I could enter a plan...clearly there's an assessment there...however, you can't argue with a computer...

I titled this "I must be missing something" because if you go to their web page, they've got all these awards that they've won, etc and I just don't see how anyone could award them for anything. This software is abysmal at best and, if I leave my current place of employment it will be because of THIS. Not my boss, not the patients, not the money, the EHR. And this was adapted because the Illinois Primary Health Care Group that is over all of the FQHCs thought that this was the best option for Health centers that are taking care of a challenging population who needs things to be easier for them not more challenging. And with this software, I am more likely to miss things that need to be done because EVERYTHING is on a separate page and with 15 minute visits, who has time to do all that with a slow EHR???

Funny thing is, there's an update that may have fixed several of these issues but you can't task anymore so we can't upgrade. That would mean that every time you needed your nurse to do something, you couldn't send it to her, every time you wanted the front desk to schedule something you couldn't send it to them, every time you needed a follow up lab or test ordered, you couldn't send it to anyone to call the patient and do it. So either I'm missing something HUGE or the people who are evaluating NextGen and give it anything better than "Epic FAIL" are either working for the company or involved with someone who works for the company. My new analogy has become: if I did my job as well as they did theirs, I would be in prison for Manslaughter....

Eric
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Just as bad or worse than any other EHR

Reviewed on 2016/04/20

Pros

communicates with my billing company, but I could just fax a superbill just as easily. does insurance eligibility checks, does eRx (but is often difficult to find the pharmacy unless you know the exact zip code, sometimes doesn't find the pharmacy at all, like Safeway's)

Cons

Wow, there is so much not to like... Word searching for ICD10 codes, past medical history and problem lists returns hundreds of search items that have absolutely nothing to do with the words being searched. Also, if you enter the words out of the order in which they would appear, you will never find them. Social History is much more than whether a person drinks alcohol or smokes. There is no way to put in valuable details of a patient's social history and automatically include it in your notes. A lot gets lost by having to adhere to some stupid engineer's formatting. Same with past medical/surgical/obstetric histories-you cant add any valuable details to anything (like which knee was replaced and what happened after their concussion, etc). The charting is so useless that I have given up and gone back to paper charting. I start an encounter just to put my billing through. Health Maintenance: I can't enter that a patient refuses to do a colonoscopy or mammogram. All I can do is "disable" that patient from being counted for meaningful use. Poor formatting: while they tout being iPad friendly, each page has lots of unused space, so there is a lot of scrolling just to enter data or get to the save button (and if you don't press save, you lost it). More poor formatting: entering vitals->information is so spread out that it takes two screens to enter. AND peak flow is on the first screen while height and weight are on the second "additional information" screen. Which is more important? Also watch out for the backspace button, sometimes it works like you would expect, and other places you will get logged out and lose all of what you were doing.

June

9 Years with NextGen

Reviewed on 2021/09/01

NextGen is a robust EHR that seems to offers solutions for all aspects of medical documentation including Practice Management for patient scheduling and billing. They are excellent with keeping up to date with the Regulatory, Prescribing, and Meaningful Use aspects that are required. There are calls and news letters to keep the clients informed of any upcoming changes or updates. No EHR is perfect. All have pro's and con's. We have had the opportunity to change software in the past but after consideration we decided to stay with NextGen for many reasons including cost and meeting our needs. I would recommend this software to others!

Pros

We have been using this product for several years now. After looking at several other EMR's NextGen seems to be more user friendly than others I have seen. There is a lot of "clicking" and navigation to be done to complete a chart but it seems to be the same with all EHR's. NextGen offers recorded trainings, WebEx and onsite trainings to get the most out of the product. Support is quick to return calls when a ticket is opened for technical assistance or if you just need help with a workflow issue. We have integration/interfaces with several other products and all work really well together.

Cons

Providers would like to see "more intuitive" templates.
There are some templates that you cannot print from that would be of help, for instance the Vital Sign Graph.

Marta

Great experience

Reviewed on 2018/11/03

This software is excellent in general, it has freed a lot of my time since I have customized it.

Pros

Once you customize documents, questionnaires, custom forms, physical exam information - it simplifies your work and you can be more efficient.
Easy to customize once you learn how - my previous software took me long hours for several months to fix and even then it was not so easy, I had to keep typing additional data for my office notes.
Saves time creating paper super-bills ( with my previous software I had to do it manually for every patient, then give it to the biller to post it), here once you close your note, the claim is actually ready to post... faster payments.
The chief complaint has many set up questionnaires that are easy to use by staff and helps the health provider to quickly review the concerns, facilitates the interview, simplify the provider's work.
Billing - has many ways to see the claims. Recall list for follow ups, blood tests, etc - once you order a test that is a follow up or in your note you document the follow up... automatically show in the recall list. Nice appearance of the finalized progress notes, many of the areas are automatically saving and you do not have to worry about losing your data. At the end of the day, you can review open encounters to make sure you finalized all your notes.
Interfaces with labs and vaccine registries are available and work very well.
Labs show automatically - there are icons on top of the page that make easy to find labs, tasks, messages, prescription requests, etc.

Cons

Unable to see several tabs or pages at once, you need to save and close what you are doing to go some other part of the chart or if you need to open other patient's chart at the same time you are with one patient in the room - same applies for the PM portion and it is time consuming because you can not multitask.

Kay

How I spent my summer vacation OR Why I like my Nextgen Software program

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

I am satisfied with this program. I would prefer something that I could just speak to but that version of dragon is much more expensive.

Pros

I chose this software because it was designed by physicians, specifically osteopathic family physicians. It is organized in the traditional SOAP format so it is intuitive to most of us. It took me a little while to get comfortable with moving around in it but it is second nature now. I like to freelance my subjective paragraph and it's easy to do. Pull down's appear as if you didn't actually listen to the patient. The tech support is outstanding. I can call them and they are always helpful and very patient with a physician who may not totally understand every nuance of the program.

Cons

In the Rx number of days section, there needs to be a 5 day option, z-packs are 5 days and a 3 day option. Yes, I can type it in but I'm lazy. And if I type in an inhaler for 90 days, it has a problem allowing me to just send three inhalers. Same with BCP's.

Kari

I love MediTouch PM Software

Reviewed on 2015/11/09

Pros

I love the A/R features. I love how fast I get paid by commercial vendors. I love how intuitive it is on helping avoid claim issues. I did not have any issues with implementation. I have had nothing but good experience with support. We have had this EMR for over a year (and I have dealt with a few) and this is by far the best I've used. We have not had any issues with it going down. We have called when we have thought the system was down and they have guided use through issues with browsers, internet speed etc. So we were always glad we called, problems solved when we thought it was on their end. Yes, claim eligibility check is only on some providers but if you get to know how to use it more in depth it can be VERY helpful in further info not just for eligibility but for knowing primary care provider etc. I have had ZERO issues with auto post and yes, I have double checked. I also really like their statement service, I review each statement before I "send" them to them to send for me but no more issues with bad addresses etc and well worth the money. Their "help" section is great. The help sheets are AWESOME. I email support more than I've ever called them and they send me helpsheets when I can't find them.

Cons

I would like a better way to weed out the non paid lines with auto post instead of dumping them all to the appeal bucket. I would like to be able to attach a claim to the billing comments and be able to send them to another employee to review. I wish that I could upload our own forms to save in the system- I do not like the forms library at all, pretty well worthless to us, I would like it if I could upload, name our files and use it that way.

Jonathan

Reviewed on 2013/01/08

I am a Pulmonologist in a busy private subspecialty practice. I have experience using several diffeent electronic health records. Our practice has been using the NextGen product for more than 7 years--so I can speak as a battle tested user of this product. There are certainly some advantages to using any decent electronic health record including access to outpatient records across campus, handling of phone calls, archiving of information, etc. However, the NexGen product has a long, long way to go to catch up. For communication with other physicians the product is atrocious. Computer generated notes are laden with typographical errors, grammatical errors, truncated sentences, and at times gross inaccuracies. For instance, our current template for physical examination puts no output into the office note for the pulmonary exam (and this is for a busy pulmonary practice!). Here is a recent example of text from a COPD follow up note template:

Reason(s) for Visit:
1. COPD - routine follow-up -The patient is seen in follow-up for COPD. The COPD - routine follow-up began since the last office visit. The COPD - routine follow-up has worsened. It occurs daily. The patient rates the severity of the symptoms as mildly severe. Symptom is aggravated by moderate activity. Symptoms relieved by resting and sitting. ....

On top of this there are nonsensical changes of font size and style in midsentence that make office documents look like ransom notes. I care about the quality of my written work, so I literally spend hours each, most of our template improvements are wiped out.

In my view, NextGen was clearly built first as a billing instrument, not as robust tool to promote all aspects of physician practice. The awards are certainly not for the quality of office notes or layout of screens for the enduser. Labs do not import into notes. Micro reports are difficult to read and necessitate scrolling through multiple windows. Data trending graphs are clunky, improperly scaled and often misplotted. As a practice group, we have tried to work with the NexGen programmers and have been very dissatisfied over 7 years with their lack of responsiveness and seeming inability to fix identified problems. Often when one problem is solved many more are created. As a result, our practice has invested a large amount of funding to support a local programmer to try to correct many of basic flaws in the software that should be part of the package out of the box. Unfortunately, with major system upgrades most of our template improvements have been wiped out.

John

Powerful But Steep Learning Curve

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

NextGen is a very powerful and highly customizable EHR and practice management suite. It is especially handy and speedy if you have it hosted on premise along with a powerful server for SQL. With the right expertise, NextGen can be customized to exactly how you want it to behave. The interface may look a little dated at this point but functionally it is very good. You may also want fairly beefy PCs since the fat client is resource intensive. Having a NG trained expert (or power user) on call/site is extremely helpful as well to get the settings, auto-flow, and templates setup correctly for your practice. NG is really good for medium sized practices as it can handle multiple practices, providers, and specialties all at once. Some setup tasks can be repetitive (and should really be fixed) but once you get familiar with it, and can stomach the licensing costs, NG will serve your practice well as a long term EHR.

Pros

NextGen is vastly powerful and has lots of feature that are either built in or can be added.
Good SQL performance.
Flexible and customizable.

Cons

Steep learning curve, onsite SME highly recommended.
Expensive licensing
High server and PC requirement to get the best performance

Be prepared to train your employees forever!

Reviewed on 2018/11/10

Pros

I like that there are two distinctive sides to this software: Practice Management and the EHR. This makes everything difficult though when learning it for the first time. It really breaks up what would be a fairly daunting task of switching to this system. I love that patients are able to register their information before their first visit-- this makes entering in new patients so much easier and faster.

Cons

You can only do some things through Practice Management and many others through the EHR. When admitting new patients I have to toggle between the two and often have to have several browser tabs open while entering in patient data. It took seemingly forever to figure out what kind of profile employees should be on-- should we all be administrators or not? We found that some permissions were not granted if everyone was not made to be an administrator and vital abilities were lost to some employees. After learning this system for about a year we are still figuring out ways to work with this system a little better. It is not intuitive and it is difficult to learn. There has to be a better system out there when switching to Electronic Medical Records.

Craig

NextGen Healthcare

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

It has been generally good. I have looked at switching multiple times but have not made that switch so they have kept me for about 5 years.

Pros

It is on the cloud.
It is a comprehensive package in that it integrates the clinical side with the billing side.
They do update on a regular basis.
My understanding is that they get back to questions reasonably. I don't do this myself.

Cons

User interface has a lot of little things that could improve the clinical side. (This is what I use the most.)
Downtime is a huge thing as everything in the office is dependent on this being up and going. I feel there are way too many times it is slowed or even crashes. It used to be on a regular basis on a certain day and seemed to correspond to update notifications. Maybe quality control of updates or implementation has improved but now it is less consistent but still much more common than it should be.

TANIA

Reviewed on 2012/02/02

We are a small medical billing and practice management firm located in the Dallas area. I've spent the last 18 months sitting through demo's of PM and EHR products on behalf of my clients. There are a lot of good products out there, but Healthfusion offered something the others didn't which really fits the needs of some of my clients. It's an All-In-One PM, Clearinghouse, and EHR (meaningful use ready) all for a reasonable monthly fee. There are no huge up front investment costs that take away financial resources that could be spent on patient care. Because it is 100% online, we can use the system anywhere as long as we have an internet connection. Since continuity of information is vital for our service, we love that we can access the front desk schedule and clinical information at the doctor's office in real time. The document feature in the patient chart is a huge help and something we didn't have in our last system. Real time eligibility is a big time saver.

The best part about this company itself is their support. I was under contract with a different vendor for many years and my biggest complaint was that they never answered the phone - that's no exaggeration. The monthly support fee was significant, yet I couldn't get the support I was paying for. HealthFusion has been a breath of fresh air. From the Sales Team (love you, Andrea) to Implementation, everything went incredibly smoothly. I spent a fair amount of time asking a ton of questions, which were always welcome 100%. The ongoing customer service has been amazing. The team over there knows me pretty well and are always cheerful when they answer. I love the live webinars because I can always learn something new, hear other user questions, and ask any questions I have. These webinars happen every week!

I'm giving 5 stars for all except functionality and quality. There are just a few things that I feel are "missing". To be fair, HealthFusion has been very responsive to my comments and has assured me they are working on adding additional features that I have been asking about. Bottom line is that HealthFusion is making me look great to my clients, it's been fairly easy to learn (after I took the time to do my training), and overall it is saving me a few hundred dollars a month in support fees. My clients and prospects love that I have a product to offer them that won't cost a fortune to get started.

Vicky

User since 2011

Reviewed on 2016/08/28

Pros

The EMR portion of the program is very easy to use. You can access it from anywhere to work. I did my billing from the Bahamas one year. It makes meeting the meaningful use criteria very simple, and does most of the work for you, where other programs are much more difficult and too time consuming. The monthly price includes all updates and support, which is very reasonable. They have a great learning site and you can access the information on updates at anytime.

Cons

The billing portion of the system is not up to par if you live in New York State. It does not have a compatible NYS medicaid form, but will charge you if you want them to create one. It's secondary billing posting is awful if it is not able to be auto-posted, which is mostly because of New York State insurances. You have to manually look up in each account a secondary claim number you need to post it to the insurance payment, then go back into the posting module to actually post the payment. You have to create and send each claim individually to insurance companies, unless you want to pay more for them to create batch files. If customer support is not sure about something and they tell you they will get back to you, several occasions I never heard anything and had to repeatedly call back to find out the status.

Laks

Crude interface - only experienced can identify the details

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

Very bad customer support from both NG and Its distributor. Wanted to goto annual user group meetings. NG doesn't want to sign me up without product identification no and the local distributor doesn't want to share it.. What a nice combination. Can't believe how NG got it's top 10 rank with all such non-sense

Pros

Gets the job done at cost of bad workflow and time when doctors are in a crunch to pay more attention to the pt care, they need to spend double as much time to document

Cons

We signed up with a local distributor who doesn't have trained staff whom I had to train and ask questions to find features for months. Lot of promises made and very bad experience with the local distributor and then NG wouldn't want to take over the support. Substandard distributor support is astonishing. We finally ended up stop using NG after spending 100s of thousands for group practice with 70+ providers.

Dr. Allen
  • Used for 2+ years

Nextgen has improved on the Meditouch EHR

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Gradually improving. We have decided to hold off on changing our EHR for now because of these improvements. Hopefully, the trend will continue.

Pros

Uses Google Chrome.
Very fast, especially when using "wired" vs WiFi.
Mac-friendly.
E-Rx of Controlled Substances works well.

Cons

Support is much better with Nextgen than with HealthFusion, but still rather slow
Occasionally, their server goes down and we are dead in the water. Thankfully, this has improved, but still should NEVER happen in this day and age. With that in mind, they should allow for a Read-Only in-office server so that we could at least access the most recent office visit and the patient's meds when their server is down, but there is no accomodation for this.
Rather difficult to make changes in the templates if you are not VERY good at this sort of thing.
The listing of meds and problems requires closing the office notes to view. These should open in separate windows. Also, you should be able to view more than 1 office visit at a time, but instead, you must close 1 OV to look at a previous OV.
Initial training from HealthFusion was virtually non-existent. We were just referred to online videos. Maybe there is now an option for on-site instruction, but we never received it.