Skeddly

Automated cloud management for Amazon Web Services

5 /5 (60 reviews) Write a Review!

5 /5
Ken N.

Convenient, reliable, and very inexpensive

Reviewed on 2018/07/09

Automated data backups and cost management
Simplification of system operations
Quick results, compared to doing it in-house

Pros

I've used Skeddly for years, in 4 companies so far, whenever I've used AWS. It makes best practices easy to implement, including backups, disaster recovery, and cost control. The feature list seems to expand every few months, so the value keeps expanding without programming or effort on my part.

The price is great -- no minimums, and very reasonable per-transaction billing.

When scheduled tasks are run, notifications can be emailed on success or failure. I also appreciate the way that logs are maintained inside Skeddly, so I don't have to manage their preservation and access.

While I could program these scheduled tasks myself, I much prefer having a tool that is developed and run independently. It's more reliable; and Skeddly's UI and documentation makes it much easier to delegate responsibility for it, compared to my own programs.

Cons

I haven't had any problems with Skeddly in my companies, but I can understand if other companies would prefer to keep these functions in-house. Skeddly is given a role in my AWS account which allows it to do its tasks, and this means that can get information about how my systems are organized. In addition, the log files that it preserves also reveal information about our configurations. It's obviously just a subset of what AWS already knows; but some companies could find it problematic.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you so much Ken for your review. I'm glad your finding Skeddly easy to use and that you're getting value from us. -Matt

Brian P.

Easy to use, affordable and reliable.

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Pros

The interface is very easy to navigate and understand. The pricing is very reasonable. And the system is reliable...I get an email every day with a status.

Cons

I don't have any cons. I've been using Skeddly for over 7 years to automate backups. I use it on dozens of servers and have never had an issue.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Reliability is one of our focuses, so I am very happy that you're seeing that. Thanks Brian! -Matt

Doug L.

A fantastic backup solution

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Great. It's a fantastic product and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

That it automates that backup process of EC2 servers with just the right number of options.
The price is affordable to small businesses like mine. Please keep it that way!

Cons

Nothing. I can't faulty it. Please keep up the good work!

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thanks Doug for your review and all your recommendations. -Matt

Ed M.

Skeddly makes managing AWS better.

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Makes my life easier

Pros

I love that I have been able to fully automate all of my AMI and snapshot creation for backup and replication. Skeddly makes it easy for me to take snaps of all my important data and ship it to multiple regions. At the same time the cleanup tasks are great and help keep snapshot and storage costs down because we don't have to think about it and we only keep the data we want. I have reached out to support on several occasions with questions and feel like my requests have been resolved on the first contact. The pricing is also great since you only pay per action.

Cons

Early on I made some poor choices in how I was tagging resources created by Skeddly and forgot several of my cleanup jobs were in test mode this lead to a few months of excessive charges for snapshot storage. A notification that a job was running, but in test mode for more than a week or something would be great. In the end the fault was my own and even though I tagged some resources poorly initially I was still able to clean it all up with Skeddly once I realized my error

Response from Eleven41 Software

Hi Ed. Thanks for this review and for the feedback. We'll make note of the issues you faced and see what we can do going forward. -Matt

Quentin L.

AWS Scheduled tasks with a comprehensive toolset, and a minimum of fuss.

Reviewed on 2017/07/24

Cost saving, and the ability to run backups totally hands off.

Pros

Large number of actions available to cover all of the possible scheduling options you could imagine within the AWS platform.
Setup is easy, and secure.
Support is fast and always knowledgeable.
Price is on a per action model, so no surprises, and no licensing tie-in.
Feature requests are met quickly, as are new features when a new offering is released by AWS.

Cons

The ability to have one action kick off another based upon a success or failure.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Quentin for the fantastic review. -Matt

Philippe M.

Simple, cost effective, does what it advertises

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

We need to schedule the start and stop of our Dev/Integration AWS environment only for work hours.
Doing this was very simple with Skeddly at cost effective pricing.

Pros

It is very simple to setup start of AWS EC2 instances as long as RDS snapshots.
It works smoothly and reliably.

Cons

Setting up future dates where we don't want instances to start (holidays, ...) was not possible.
It was added on 20th july after multiple requests.

David N.
  • Industry: Media Production

Skeddly is a very good service. It is reasonably priced and does what I need it to do.

Reviewed on 2017/05/29

Reasonably priced reliable backups

Pros

It is a reasonably priced solution for doing backups in the Amazon AWS. It is reliable and easy to use.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you David for the glowing review. We really appreciate it. -Matt

Peter D.

This is a must have tool !

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

We stop/start EC2 instances and plan backups and cleanup backups based on tags (images).
This tool spares us money and time.
Nice to see new features and functionality improvements on regular basis.

Pros

It's easy to use and configure all my shedules.

Cons

If you filter tasks on tags, you need to make you selection again after changing a task. It would be easier that it remembers the selection.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Peter for your review and thanks for the feedback about remembering the action list filtering. I'm glad Skeddly is saving you time and money. -Matt

Sherman J.

I have been happy using this to help with my AWS image creation process

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

It has been easy to use and very cost effective. You sort of just go in and set it and forget it. It supports MFA which is a good thing. Lots of other features which I hope to get to one of these days as well.

Cons

There are a few gui things which annoy me like having an edit button at the bottom of the page..so I have to scroll down to get to it which is often. But things like this are sort of trivial when it comes to the tool performing the task at hand which it does well.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Jason, thanks for this review. Your comment about the edit button is spot-on, but I'm glad you're otherwise pleased with our services. -Matt

Gilles F.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Automate a few backups, creation and deletion

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

Pros

Very easy to use and after you install it, you forgot it.
A lot of details in settings.
A very good reliability.

Cons

The price. When we installed it, we've thought that is expensive just for some backup orders, compared with AWS prices.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Hi Gilles, thank you for the review. I'm happy that you're happy with our reliability. Please get in touch with us regarding your low score for our support. We try to have top-notch support, so if we're don't have that, we want to know right away. -Matt

Alberto J.

Easier SaaS to implement

Reviewed on 2017/06/14

Pros

I don't have to worry about it is truly set it and forget it. We've used the functions for over a year and other than verifying the operations run there is nothing else to do

Cons

Costs can run high when a lot of operations are programmed but that's the cost of SaaS. the more you use it the more you pay

Response from Eleven41 Software

Alberto, thank you for the great review. -Matt

Ralph M.

A relief to have found. 1st class support

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

Backing up my new web apps user uploads on S3. Couldn't find any other solution I was happy with out there.

Pros

Simple instructions to get set up and great support. If you don't want to get involved with the code yourself once you get the hang of creating Actions this give you so much flexibility with AWS.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Hi Ralph, thank you for the fantastic review. We're always trying to make things as flexible and easy as possible for our users. If there's more we can do for you, please let us know. -Matt

Vishal K.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 2017/03/24

Skeddly helps in setting up any configuration on AWS easily. I don't have to spend time writing the configuration, Skeddly does it for me. Its super easy..

Response from Eleven41 Software

Vishal, thank you so much for the review. I'm happy that you are finding great value in Skeddly. -Matt

Gary S.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

We use Skeddly in AWS for everything from snapshots, moving\copying snapshots between regions, creating AMIs, start\stop instances, and in our DR plan.

Pros

Skeddly is super easy to use, it's very intuitive; you can be up and running quickly and it just works. In 2+years we've never had an issue. The support is excellent, you don't get bogged down in 1st level support operators, you get answers right away.

Cons

Nothing to add here, we haven't come across any real detriments..

Very straight forward, never had any issues with Skeddly.

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Pros

Skeddly is very simple to use, it is very quick to set up automated actions and this allows you to feel free not having to worry about writing any scripts. Email notifications are great to know that things are going well.

Cons

The only issue I have had is when I create a new volume from a snapshot in AWS and delete my old one, I'll have to modify one of my Skeddly actions to match the new volume ID, however this makes sense.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you for your review. You can avoid the volume ID reconfiguration by using tags. Contact our support team for assistance with this. -Matt

Eric H.

One of two critical tools to our success in AWS.

Reviewed on 2017/11/09

Easy automation of processes in Aws and even Aws GovCloud. Reasonable costs, reliable functionality. It's an ingenious product.

Pros

It is exceedingly easy to use, and the reliability is outstanding. There is a wide breadth of services to choose to automate. My only regret is it is set it and forget...I like playing in Skeddly and doing new things. The pricing for the tool is reasonable and transaction based leaving the control of the budget in our hands which is so appreciated.

Cons

There is little to dislike; works well on mobile and feature requests are promptly handled. Quite amazing, really.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Eric for the glowing review! Please let us know if there's anything more we can do to help. -Matt

Sean C.

As it says on the tin

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Highly reliable, externalised backup initiation has meant we've never had to worry about whether our backups are current.

Pros

We have used to automate the creation EC2 snapshots for 6/7 years now, it have NEVER let us down and as a result we have never let our customers down.

Cons

Pricing confusion. The month on month price has gradually crept up and up over the years with no change to our service - March to April was a $6 increase despite being a day less usage. We've not had any price changes conveyed to us that I am aware.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Sean for the review. Our prices have not increased since our inception in 2011. Give us a shout at [email protected] and we can see about bringing some clarity to your bills. -Matt

Gilberto C.

Help me a lot and I use day by day

Reviewed on 2017/05/23

Pros

Saving money and never happened any outages or problems with the execution of my jobs. Prices are good, specially because they are in Canadian Dollars, cheapest in Brazil.

Cons

- Interface could be more graphical and easy to use, built with buttons, panels, etc.
- Suggestions to change names of AMI`s and avoid them repeat names too. Once I was generating AMI's with the same name, one killing other and I was thinking we had more backups in different times. In this case, I've put the "date and time" in the name at the end.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Hi Gilberto, thank you for the review. Send us note if ever you run into issues, or if you have any UI suggestions.

Damien H.

Awesome automation tools

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

Skeddly solves problems in an imperfect world. We needed automated snapshots of EC2 instances and also backing up snapshots across multiple AWS accounts. Ideally, these things would not be needed, but sometimes they are and then Skeddly comes to the rescue.

Pros

It's easy to use and has really useful features.

Cons

It can be expensive if not planned correctly.

Thierry C.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Easy set up using the tutorial

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Pros

Cheap, easy to set-up using the tutorial that are easy to find. Very efficient in obtaining the results.

Cons

lack of notification options such as having the possibility to dispatch the notifications to several email address and/or have separate email address per event.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Thierry for your review. While we currently do not support per-action notifications, we do support notifications to multiple email addresses. This is configurable in the account notifications section. -Matt

José carlos C.

We use their service to start/stop our aws server automatically.

Reviewed on 2018/05/30

Really good

Pros

Easy setup and never failed to do the job. We are using Skeddly service to handle our aws server.

Cons

So far I have Nothing, it is working fine I can't remember anything to negative to say the Skeddly.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thanks José. I'm very happy that Skeddly is working well for you. -Matt

Nathan P.

Skeddly was easy to setup and provides features not available within the AWS system.

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Affordable

Response from Eleven41 Software

Nathan, thank you for your review. Be sure to let us know if there's anything more that Skeddly can help with. -Matt

Brandy M.
  • Industry: Design

Love it!

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

Easy to use, easy to implement, great customer service (very responsive).

Cons

No cons at the moment. Skeddly has made managing my AWS servers much easier.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Brandy, thank you very much for your review. I'm thrilled that you're finding Skeddly to be an easy way to manage your AWS servers. -Matt

Anton V.

Fills a gap

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

We evaluated several options for running independent back-ups of our systems, and Skeddly was the clear choice.

Pros

Skeddly was easy to set up and configure. We use managed instances, and it's saved our bacon already.

Cons

Maybe if they had known in advance we would need backups, hacked our Amazon account, and set it all up for us. That would have saved us some headaches.

Dharam K.

Allows me to automate and manage my backup and DR plan for my organization at very low cost.

Reviewed on 2017/12/30

I have an actual disaster recovery plan at a very low cost, hugely beneficial.

Pros

Allows me to automate snapshots of my AWS environment. Because snapshots store data in different data centers, I now have a disaster recovery solution. When I did this with Windows servers and physical locations it could cost 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars, and it was complex and difficult to test. I get a bill from Skeddly for less than a dollar per month and I feel VERY confident that my critical IT systems are protected.

Cons

The interface could use some help, it is a LOT better than when I first started using it some years ago, but I still get confused. I don't log into it often, so it takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, and then I'm off and running.

Response from Eleven41 Software

Thank you Dharam for this review. I'm glad you're finding great value by using Skeddly. -Matt