Canva Reviews

Canva

Graphic-design tool for web & print media

4.7/5 (4020 reviews)
Subash B.

Graphic Design Simplified

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Canva solves a lot of design requirements problems & helps in in-housing graphic design for simple daily needs like social media and also presentations. Canva saves time, efforts and money for small and medium businesses that are running social media and some marketing all by themselves / small in-house teams with small budgets. Would say a must-have tool for all size of businesses as well as for personal purposes (will come in handy for all those e-invites, kids craftwork, etc).

Pros

1. Develop almost all of your creatives required - all by yourself & without any need of hiring an expensive professional designer.
2. Easy to use for most of the simple social media creatives.
3. The free version is good enough for most tasks - but the paid version adds a few features that will make it really good.
4. The new presentations feature is good - make a big push to visually appealing presentation decks - but may not be serious competition to Microsoft PowerPoint - but has features that are not there in PowerPoint.
5. Great Editing features from photo editors, logo makers, etc are very useful and take simple designs a long way.
6. The templates available are there for most of your requirements - they make life very easy and makes your designs look professional.

Cons

1. Good for beginners and intermediate users - the experts will see a lot of missing features - especially when compared to Photoshop (Illustrator and Corel Draw are way above & are for experts only) which has most design features & has a similar price per month as well.
2. Video editing capability is missing - although they have a GIF capability which can be downloaded as a video file, you can't stake stock videos and edit them o add them to your videos. This is a serious feature missing as video content is the mainstay of most businesses & highly in demand by everybody.
3. There is a learning curve here - this may not be to use the software tool - but for design & creativity itself and the resources available on Canva are limited in this aspect.
4. Limited images available - even the paid ones are not that good - not sure why there is no tie-up with a Shutterstock & the ilk.
5. Sizes for banner ads are very limited - like there are so many ad sizes say for Google Ads which can be made standard (there is a custom dimension - but each time you will have to look up the specs and then create your dimensions).

Bruno F.

Design anything. Literally.

Reviewed on 2019/05/21

Canva is the first software I think of when I don't have so much time to create graphic designs. It features a huge variety of layouts and tools to create beautiful designs in a short amount of time. For social-media-lovers like me and for content creators, this is one of the best things already invented. Canva makes everything easier in a world where, more and more, time is money. I have a great experience of using Canva and I really recommend it to everyone I know.

Pros

For many, including me, Canva can be a divine sign or really the savior of the motherland. It features a huge variety of formats, layouts and tools, for basically any graphic material you might think of doing. Social media, work presentations, logos, cards, invitations, posters, ads, photo albums, ebooks and even resume! You can create all of this and more using Canva. And the best is the ease of use. You only have to choose a layout and customize it however you want. You can change the color of the text and some vectors, change fonts and more. It's a great software to exercise your creativity - even when you're not on a very creative day, because the software already gives you the almost ready work, you only need to adjust it according to your ultimate goal.

Canva presents a great image bank that covers several categories, making it really easy for you to choose the right image for your project without having to leave the page. Some images are free and very good, but there are the paid pictures also. They are great and the price is affordable - you might not mind paying, depending on your project.

It's really hard to find defects in Canva.

Cons

Even with those beautiful designs presented, some of the best ones are not totally free. Sometimes the complete design comes with a price, and other times some of the images used on it come with a price. If you can pay for them, this clearly does not prove to be a problem. If you can not afford it, there are the free images – but maybe some images do not show the best quality after download. Depending on the project you are designing, this can be a problem. For me, in the case of creating content for social networks (because the measures of these networks do not require a giant resolution), this has never been a problem. I can create beautiful arts for social media without any problem. And finally there's a Canva "problem" that I really LOVE to have: the variety of layouts it presents is soooo great that sometimes it takes me too long to pick one, hahahaha.

Samuel T.

The Easiest Graphic Design Tool with Mind Blowing Templates

Reviewed on 2019/05/18

No doubt, Canva is the best online graphic design platform, even as an expert in Photoshop, I still find myself working on Canva for quick and easy designs, the ease to use platform blows my mind all the time. I’m able to create a book cover within 20 minutes; I have made Logo design for friends without the stress of learning complicated tools.
So if you are looking for a graphic tool that is easy to learn, use and that offers free nice templates and incredible paid premium templates, then Canva is what you need.

Pros

Canva is an incredible online graphics tool that let people create their designs easily. Canva have a lot of advantages that will blow your mind.

First: Canva is the easiest graphics tool I have ever used. Canva is easy to learn and user friendly, even for a starter. No complicated tool to learn unlike other graphic design software. Customization is as simple as ABC, and can be mastered within minutes.

Second: The designs on Canva are just incredible. This in particular makes me use Canva more often than expected. There are varieties of predesigned materials on any project you want, be it Logo, Book & Album Covers, Business Cards, Flyers and lot more.

Third: Not only did you get beautiful templates, Canva also allow users to modify those templates to their satisfaction. On the platform, you can edit the image, change colors as wished, you can resize files and do all sort of editing without any heavy software.

Forth: Canva is Free to Use, although they have a paid service that offers more beautiful templates and other features. However, free users also get to have access to some of their great designs, can edit these designs and export to their preferred format.

Fifth: Free 1GB storage to store your credentials. Canva goes out of their way to satisfy users, the free space is most helpful; I can easily store my designs on the platform which can be modify and access when needed.

Lastly, the customer support is very responsive and helpful.

Cons

Canva is really helpful, have a lot of advantages but yet some shortcomings that makes their platform a second choice.

First: Canva is an online only platform, everything Canva offers can only be access on the Internet, no offline feature. This is the advantage the software has over Canva, if you’re in a location with poor connections, Canva won’t be an option to use.

Second: Paid users get more beautiful templates. Although the advantage of paying for their service is to get more premium designs, however, free users are very much limited when it comes to templates; the paid designs are shown to free users but watermarked.

Third: Even paid users don’t have full access; there are some other materials that you’ll still need to purchase.

Lastly, Canva has a mobile app to make their platform mobile friendly. This would have been an advantage if only the app will just work as expected. The app is really buggy and frustrating to use, totally not the Canva I’m use to on PC, I have to get rid of it.

Maynard john S.

No beret needed: Fast and beautiful artistic designs through Canva

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/18

Canva is very easy to use graphic design software that allows you to create an artistic and professional design in mere seconds. It allows people with no artistic background to quickly create a design for their personal and business needs. People have been complimenting my designs and admired its simplicity. Hence, you do not need a to wear a fancy artist's beret to create your artistic designs to share to the world.

Pros

One of the best attributes that Canva offers is its ease of use. Relative to other layout and design software, designing marketing material, info-graphics, presentations, etc. becomes very painless as Canva offers a variety of templates for you to choose.

Along with these are the ready stock photos, vector graphics, and shapes that you can bring to your design by click-and-dragging it to where you want it to be, that way you do not need to switch to another webpage to search for images.

Canva is also very useful for prototyping designs as you can quickly iterate through your design ideas because of how quick and convenient it is to create a design.

You are also able to share your design to others online and work on it collaboratively. This is useful for team projects or simply showing others your design for comments.

You do not have to worry about the risk of losing your work because all your designs are saved to the cloud. It also makes it easy for you to hop in and out of your work.

Canva is also free to use but the paid version offers quality of life improvements such as allowing to change the size of your design, removing the watermarks for most of the stock photos and graphics, better organization of designs, and the most important feature for me is being able to save my designs with a transparent background.

My takeaway here is that Canva allows you to make artistic professional looking design in mere seconds with no artistic background experience needed.

Cons

Although Canva allows you to create professional looking designs rapidly, it does come with some trade-offs.

Canva loses the flexibility and functionality that other graphic design software have. Users of professional graphic design software would understand what I am referring to. Features such as warping, filters, space selection, etc. are absent. but one could say that this is a good thing to keep things simple.

Although you could collaborate on a design, unfortunately this feature is not yet real time and would require you to refresh the web page to see the work of other be reflected on the design.

The free version of the application unfortunately does not download the design in the best quality and it is sometimes obvious when presenting it in high definition.

And also, as my tasks became more demanding, the watermark on the stock photos became more and more annoying which made me opt for the paid version.

Andi L.

Canva Just Might Be the Death to Photoshop, InDesign, and QuarkXPress

Reviewed on 2019/05/15

I'm pretty sure that Milton Glaser, most famous for creating the I ❤ NY logo, would hate the fact that Canva lets anyone be a designer—and a great one at that. With the incredible templates, variety in fonts (plus the ability to upload your own), recommendations, and tools, Canva has made my life so much easier. I'm able to create social media designs so much more quickly as well as one-off graphics. Sure, for brochures and business cards, I still use QuarkXPress because of the ability to fine-tune typography. But for everything else, Canva is my go-to tool. I use it every day, and I can't imagine my working life without it.

Pros

I love almost everything about Canva. First, it is incredibly easy to use. Although I have a background that includes design, I was able to teach my sister to use it within about 5 minutes. The tool is incredibly user-friendly and very intuitive, so it's almost like you're guided through the design process.

Second, I love that I can have a different folder for every client, and then designs within that folder. For example, Client A has a folder, and within that is a file for Instagram posts, for in-store flyers, and for hand-out postcards. Client B has a folder, and within it is a file for video thumbnails, Instagram posts, and website featured images. It helps to keep me organized, and each one has its own branding.

Third, with the ability to resize for different outlets, it's easy for me to create every post I need in every size I need, with some small adjustments. Amazing.

Fourth, Canva has great templates for all kinds of designs. The templates are completely adjustable to your branding; in fact, sometimes, I just use them for inspiration.

Finally, Canva has a plethora of free (and paid) images and icons that make designs pop or just add that little something extra that you need.

Overall, Canva has saved me so much time over the past three years that I've been using it. What would have taken me an hour in QuarkXPress now takes me about 15 minutes in Canva, because it's all right there, and it's so easy to use.

Cons

I have only a few complaints with Canva. The first is probably on their product roadmap—I wish that I could merge files. At this point, I can move any design into a folder. But I can't move a design in File A to File B, even if they're the same size. Here's why I find this is problematic: Let's say I have a file of Instagram designs (1080x1080) for Client A, and I want to convert just the first of the designs into a video thumbnail (1920x1080). And I already have a file of video thumbnails for Client A. So, I either need to recreate the Instagram image into my file of video thumbnails, which is silly and duplicates work. Or I need to copy and resize the whole Instagram designs file, delete everything but the first page, and then make the small adjustments to get it the right size. Ideally, I would be able to then take this newly designed image and merge it into my Video Thumbnails file. But I can't do that. So now I have a handful of random files, which becomes slightly cumbersome. Nit picky, yes, but it would be so helpful to do and a real time-saver.

Second, and this is probably on the roadmap too, I would love to be able to copy an element/text/style from one design and paste it into another that is in a different file.

Finally, also probably on the roadmap, is to be able to bulk delete pages in a file. I can bulk download them but not bulk delete. Would be another big time-saver.

Samantha H.

If you need an easy design software, look no further!

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Overall, I can't recommend a design software enough. It is easy to learn, easy to use, practical, fun, and offers new personalization for projects that I was anticipating creating. If you're looking for something that you can really dig into, this isn't really that. But if you need one tool for everything you could need if you have some flexibility with your project, look no further.

Pros

I love how easy this is to use. I was able to figure out how it worked in minutes, and was able to navigate the different design options with ease. As this tool has grown, I have found that they have offered more opportunity to get really creative with customization. If you need a simple template and don't want to get too detailed, there are so many great options. If you have a vision and your own content, and you just need a simple tool to put it together, it's also great for that. They stay on top of trendy fonts, colors, and patterns, and you can really tell that they know what their users want. I have used Canva for invitations, newsletters, meeting agendas, and most commonly I make flyers with it. I run social media for a dorm and catchy designs are necessary if we want college students to take a second look. I have never found that I need anything but Canva.

Cons

I haven't found what I don't like, but the ability to use gif images would be helpful. I recognize that if pictures move, it may go beyond what this software can do. Animated or not, some images are just in that format. Additionally, the search feature is occasionally difficult to navigate since you need to sort through free and payment required images to find what you need.

Jesús A.

Canvas: fast, easy and professional!

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

The ease of use in working hours within the platform at the genetic level is fast, the individual experience is satisfactory and without setbacks, this added to the multiple designs and different templates are adapted to the needs of your company or social network, allowing you to show a quality advertising work, according to the commercial objective. It also significantly reduces the costs that the company can redirect to more useful aspects that will impact on significant savings, knowing what an advertising campaign is worth today. With the free version you work it is easy to do jobs with professional quality.

Pros

It allows me to choose according to the type of social network in which I am working, to select the most varied templates adapted to the specific formats; and if I'm not satisfied with the predesigned material, I can modify it by making my final presentation more personalized. It has the ability to accept own photographs, adapt them and edit them within the same application with filters that give a professional appearance of excellent quality. If there is no format within the predesigned templates, you can also change the size. It offers a wide range of designs that fit the type of advertising desired, which are required to present both in a work meeting or disseminating information by various social networks.

Cons

There are times when not all the details of a presentation are saved, and it is annoying because some need time to do them again. If you select a specific template, the system opens a new tab, once you finish all the work and save the information, you must go back to the previous tab and close it, this is a bit tedious. Depending on the complexity of the presentation, sometimes the program can delay in processing the changes efficiently, which can sometimes make you lose the work done previously. In other opportunities if you upload your own image, in some occasions editing it on the platform is not friendly if the connection that is used on the internet does not turn out to be fast enough.

Ishara M.

a device that makes it conceivable to plan anything and distribute anyplace

Reviewed on 2019/04/28

Being on this stage for a very nearly multi-year and utilizing it consistently, I can say that it is one of the best online illustrations and photograph altering stage I at any point utilized. It is an about flawless online programming, however, the canva designer group should investigate the client accommodation and makers proficiency.

Pros

Canva is a device that makes it conceivable to plan anything and distribute anyplace. With it is easy to use intuitive apparatus and a large number of adaptable formats, more than 400 million structures from in excess of 10 million clients crosswise over 179 nations have been made with Canva up until this point. Canva is accessible in 100 dialects and can be gotten to in work area programs and portable applications. This makes Canva available to for all intents and purposes everybody with an Internet association. What would you be able to do with Canva? With Canva, you can without much of a stretch make delightful reports and plans for any event and reason. From online networking presence on introductions, you can peruse beyond what 65,000 editable formats or you can begin without any preparation in case you're feeling brave. Canva likewise makes it simple for you to get to a great many stock pictures, outlines, symbols and textual styles inside the application. Our media library content is accessible for use in the entirety of your plans.
Canva is a free stage, obviously there are some paid things, however, there are sufficient assets and choices to complete your activity without paying a penny. * There are a large number of formats on every classification of your illustrations, pdf, thumbnails, and notices. You can pick any of your ideal ones and alter it as you prerequisite, and you're prepared to go. * canvas gives 1GB extra room to transfer your own photogr

Cons

Although canva is an excellent stage, yet despite everything, it has a few blemishes. * As canva is an online stage so you can't run it on disconnected stage, or neither canva has built up a product which can be introduced on PCs to work disconnected. * When you transferring some photograph or thing into canva and you drop it on your illustrations, more often than not you don't get wanted state of your transferred photograph, in light of the fact that the "drag" alternative and the "crop" choice isn't sufficiently adaptable, * canva has a decent accumulation of English text styles, yet as a client, I figure they should include and build the supplies of other language textual styles or territorial language textual styles

Luis ignacio C.

The design for all, the best platform.

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

One of the benefits that I have obtained with Canva is the portability that offers me to work, I have been away from home and a client contacts me, thanks to the mobile application of Canva, I have managed to pass a draft to customers who need urgent work . Another benefit is that one of the offices for which I work has implemented Canva as the main tool to change the size of many of the designs I have developed, which gives me more time to serve other clients with greater complexities. It is a graphic resource that I have managed to adapt as an assistant in which my clients leave the ideas that I end up improving to fulfill their interests.

Pros

As a graphic designer it is an absolute wonder all that Canva has done for many people. In my case, I really liked the possibilities it offers me to provide better care, both to my clients and to the bosses I work with. I like that anyone can take the path to graphic design, I have managed to give classes on how to design using Canva as a basis of work. Also, I like the almost unlimited graphic resources they offer for work. I like very much that based on my designs, my co-workers advance some elements that their departments need. Also, with Canva I can make personalized presentations that give my work a unique style, which has caught the attention of my clients. Another aspect that I liked a lot, is to be able to take my designs, adapting them to new dimensions within the platform, to the universe of social networks, it is amazing.

Cons

Not at all, it has no negative aspects to highlight, as a graphic designer I have looked for weak elements but so far I do not identify any. On the contrary, it is such an intiutive platform that I even recommend it for the daily use of people.

Patricia S.

Putting Me Out of a Job

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

Canva has been the solution we needed to allow others on our team to dabble in design and easily get started with no prior experience. The level of our projects has improved significantly since we started using the platform. It has aided us in producing professional looking documents, slide decks, social media images and more! It's also been encouraging to see the Canva team continue to develop the platform and add much-needed functionality along the way. The experience has only gotten better! The only reason I'm a little afraid to tell people about Canva is it's well on its way to putting me (as a designer) out of a job!

Pros

Canva has demystified design to the point that I'm starting to fear for my job! (Just kidding, but only kind of). Canva has been a lifesaver! So many people on our team wanted to make their work look better, but didn't have a place to start. They were never going to be able to master the Adobe Creative Suite, and even those who had put time into learning it did not necessarily have an eye or instinct for design. Canva has made it possible for those people to create great looking documents, slide presentations, and graphics with no prior experience. The pre-made templates, color palette suggestions, and embedded assets including photos and icons give you everything you need. All you have to do is drag and drop!

Cons

When we first started using Canva, it wasn't as advanced as it is now. They've added tons of great features that has made the design capabilities more intuitive. If you've been using the Adobe Creative Suite, though, you might find it hard to switch into it or switch back and forth between the programs since it doesn't offer the same keyboard shortcuts you're used to. Another thing you might find annoying if you are only a free user is how much content is behind the paywall. Even with a paid account, there are plenty of assets that are only for purchase, so you have to be careful when making your design. The only other thing to be aware of is that Canva is not an InDesign replacement, it doesn't offer functionality to handle formatting text-heavy documents with ease. But it is a great Illustrator substitute for entry-level designers just looking to help themselves and their work go to the next design level.

Shayne H.

I literally use Canva for "EVERYTHING" - One of the best designing tools I know!

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Canva is a beautiful tool that has revolutionized the game for small or budding business to go out there with professional content. I've used Canva for possibly anything that you could think of (Resumes, Facebook Creatives, my Company Logo, etc). The best part is, the Freemium is as good at some of the other Premiums out there. However, if you're using Canva for business purposes, I suggest you use their paid pricing model. It's a little steep, but it's worth it.

Pros

1) Easy To Use: Trust me, it's not as scary as some of the other "photoshop" softwares that scare people off. Canva is incredibly simple to use and very easy to master. You can be a beginner or a professional, but I've you're lucky enough to stumble upon this tool, you're sorted.

2) Dimension Guru: If you do a lot of Social Media Campaigns, Social Media Account Maintenance, etc, you're going to need to know all the dimensions. Luckily, Canva allows you to choose templates that have preset dimensions (For example, a Facebook cover page will have a different dimension than a Facebook profile Picture).

3) Versatility: Canva can be used for virtually any purpose from creating Resumes to crafting Company Logos from scratch and many many more! They even have ready-made templates that you can load and just alter existing information.

4) Great Memory: Canva saves the color scheme that your brand holds and applies it to your future projects. This is so that you don't accidentally use a slightly lighter or darker shade. (Used to happen to me a lot)

5) Professional Creations: Till now, everything that I've created using Canva came out looking very professional.

6) Who Needs A Design Team: With Canva in you're arsenal, you don't need to invest an exorbitant amount on a Design Team. However, you do have to invest a lot of time if you take that call. That's a different story.

Cons

1) Graphs and Charts: Usually, on chosen templates that have a graph or a chart in them, you can't edit or input your own data or values to change their visual representation. To overcome this, I usually use an external graph or chart maker and import a PNG version of the same into my Canva project. Just a minor setback because the external tools that I use are free.

2) Buggy Undo Button: There were many instances where I had clicked the 'Undo' button and it started lagging.

Friendly Neighborhood Graphic Design Hero

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

Overall experience with this software Canva is a great option to create high-impact graphic designs without the hassle of having to know design techniques, purchase high priced design services, or spend a lot of time to create documents. It’s especially useful for businesses because of the versatility of design which can be used to create logos, business documents and more. It’s great for personal use as well! Birthday cards, event invites, and posters, personal documents, resumes can all be created here. The overall experience for a basic user on Canva is exceptional, efficient, and affordable.

Pros

I ran into Canva on a last minute work assignment to create a flyer for a weekend team-building event! No Pressure. Having very rusty graphic design skills, I knew I couldn’t pull off the project in time if I worked with conventional graphic design software such as Photoshop and Adobe InDesign. I needed a template that was ready-made, great looking, and easy to edit. A quick google search and in stepped Canva.
The graphic design software replacement website is a God-sent efficiency machine for those of us who aren’t endowed with creative prowess or those who like to get things done quickly. It has great templates spanning a host of documents, a well-selected collection of vectors, photos, fonts, borders, and more, as well as a great user-friendly interface for easy editing, saving, and downloading.
•A variety of templates On the Canva home-page, you are asked: “what would you like to design?” You can type your answer and begin working on a blank document and build up using the site’s design features. Alternatively, Templates are made by other Canva users and you can build upon what they have created.
•Well curated design features If you aren’t in a time bind, you can have a bit of fun to really get acquainted with the site’s comprehensive and well-chosen design features. Starting from scratch, you can play around with stock images,

Cons

•High priced in-app purchases can be a pain if you like the look, but the price is over the top. However, there are plenty of free items that can work the look without the price tag.
•Outdated items such as frames, grid-layouts, and icons can use a make-over or additions to update the Canva collection.

Priscilla D.

Great Graphics Quick - With Zero Learning Curve

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

Canva is AMAZING!! I've even talked with some Photos--- specialists who love Canva and how quickly they can pump out content. I love that they email me monthly tips and tricks as well as new templates. The library of internal graphics that's included with the paid plan is totally worth it. I was a free user for about 6 months and then tried the paid version. This is one tool that I use daily in my business and I've never thought about cancelling, it's too valuable.

Pros

The templates are worth their weight in gold. Some days there's not a creative bone left in my body; so I use a template and change it up a bit. Boom! Amazing graphic in 30 seconds. I've taught my team to use Canva in 30 mins and they're up and running. Most of the training was business specific on how to create client folders for uploads, creating brand guides, and exporting and resizing. I love that my team can share a completed design with me and I can then make any edits that are needed or resize for another platform. I've used Canva for Print Ads, Facebook Ads, website graphics, Instagram, and the list goes on. My favorite little trick is layering an image and downloading it as a GIF and then I've got a quick video for Instagram. I've never had to use their customer service line, but the monthly newsletter updates are fantastic.

Cons

The mobile app for this tool is a little less user friendly and I have a harder time using it, but I prefer to create graphics online anyway so I can download a zip file and then schedule and plan. Their new layout that they just upgraded too took a bit of an adjustment, but I love it now.

millions use canva design software review

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

you can do all the work inside canva even when you want to share your designs through social media
and you can schedule your posts, you can make your designs animated they give you several styles of animation like what I love block , pan, slide, or rise style where all the elements that make up your graphic seem to rise from the lowest and descend to their places so fascinating and captive

Pros

in canva there are dozens of standard dimensions for both graphics and documents, canva is a design tool for non designers i mean biginners to create stunning graphics and also for those who perform office tasks such as writing an A4 document ,resume,brochure,us letter document,i think this tool is more useful for designers if we take the web there is a wide variety of websites such as a social media facebook ,twitter, while each website requires its own dimensions for graphics, to remember all dimensions it is hard but it puts infront your eyes before you begun designing all kind of graphics like youtube channel art, youtube thumbnail, facebook post or cover and more,dozens with their precise dimensions by the left corner there are several functions the most intersting i think the one called elements divided into columns and supported by a search bar, a nice way to organize things under each column the objects are grouped under headings like health, beauty and fashion, lines, shapes and many others after all found objects are pictures or graphics, it seems like they mean those united objects have something in common and so you can take them for that niche or subniche or title ,last what I like so much in canva when I can transit if we can say that or otherwise change a graphic already made for a specific platform to another in the dimensions are different if you take the example to pass a grapfic facebook post to pintrest pin it will not be quite adequate the first time but

Cons

you need to have a high connection so that templates and layouts load quickly and again when you work on canva you notice that the number of free images, free icons is shrunk as time goes by, it is a lot harder to find free elements, sometimes there are outages of services

Abigail N.

Easy to use Design Software for all skill levels

Reviewed on 2018/12/22

Overall my experience with Canva has been good despite the glitches. It's still a lot easier to use than most design software.

Pros

Easy to use: I used canva to create social media images, Social media cover pages/headers, PDF presentations and ebook covers(and ebooks). I've also used Adobe spark, Photoshop and Illustrator to do the same thing but Canva is a lot easier to use. Photoshop and Illustrator require some level of experience to figure your way around it when creating designs especially for social media, but Canva comes with lots of templates so all I have to do is select a template and modify it.

Mobile App: The Android app has definitely gotten better, at the beginning of the year, it was a bit unstable so I had to use the mobile site which was the most frustrating experience of my life. The app is a lot better now and I use it weekly to create social media images and ebook covers

Lots of Design options(Templates): Another thing I like about Canva, especially compared to spark is the number of templates available for each design. For example there are different templates for IG story, Facebook post, Social media image (800x800px), Instagram image (1000x1000px). NO matter how stuck I am design-wise, when I go through their templates I always find something that catches my eyes and suits the concept my client wants.

No Branded logo on my final design

Cons

Limited Logo design options: Technically you can design a logo in Canva, realistically Canva is really not the best place to design a logo as almost all their logo templates look the same.

Undo/Redo Design: Maybe I have bad luck but the undo/redo option almost never work on me on the desktop site (It works just fine on the android app). Sometimes when I delete an element either on purpose or accidentally, when I undo it to get the element back, the undo option doesn't work and sometimes takes me much farther than I expected (I've ended up with a blank space more times than I can count). Same with the redo button.

Reload design: I'm not talking about times when I'm working on a design and I have to leave my desk for thirty minutes, and when I come back I see the prompt that tells me my last change (or something like that) wasn't saved and I need to reload the design. This has happened so often I always save my design before leaving, But I'm talking about how when I'm working on a design and all of a sudden I'm told the last few seconds were not saved and I need to reload the design. This happens to me at least once every two weeks and ALWAYS on the desktop site and never on the android app.
The android app is so stable that once I was working on a design and my data ran out but I continued without any disruption and even when the wifi was turned on there was no prompt to reload my design.

Diana G.

Canva - Great Tool to Create Content for Social Media

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/12/20

Canva makes it super easy for business to create graphic designs without being graphic artists. The template sizes are there for you, ready for any social media format for posts and for ads. That is an incredible time saver. No messing around with other imaging software to layout text on images, filters to create these.

While more features are now under a pay wall, there is a considerable amount offered by Canva that you can use on your own and share with teams. That makes it easy to get updates/feedback on designs by adding people to your teams.

Also, you can set a style guide which is available under the section Your Brand. Overall, Canva has put a lot of excellent effort into the tool.

Pros

Canva offers a quite a lot in the free version of the software, what I love most is the functionality wrapped in a beautiful web app.

You can create images that are sized for different social media channels like Pinterest, Facebook Banners and posts, Twitter, Instagram. They have a very large selection of free templates you can choose from and customize. It's easy to change text size, colors, position, and once you get used to the layout of various boxes/blocks (text, background, effects) you'll see how much you can vary, from colors to transparency. I love that it's easy to duplicate a design and create variations of the same template.

Cons

You used to be able to create a graphic in a certain size, i.e., for Pinterest and then at top left select the Magic Resize option. That would let you take that graphic and have it resized for something completely different, like a Facebook banner ad. It was really excellent to have that included in the free version, and it's a bummer to see it completely gone. I get it, companies need to make money. It would be nice to see it available to create at least one time something like three different sizes from one template to show how easy it is to use as a tool, and add to the incentive to purchase a subscription.

If you're creating a design and want to pull something in from a previous design you created, you can't access those earlier designs unless you upgrade your account.

It feels like it can get a bit slow, it's a good idea to check how many Canva tabs you have open because each time you click on a new design, you open a new tab, which will consume your resources.

Keep an eye on how many designs you're working on as they'll open new tabs which can consume resources.

Jordan B.

An indispensable part of my toolkit

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

Canva has made graphic design work quicker and easier for me, especially in the production of graphics for social media, although I also use it to design everything from posters to business cards. Furthermore, it has empowered people on my team without ANY knowledge of other graphic design software to produce good-looking graphics that are consistent with our brand, reducing the demands on me to personally take care of ALL the graphic design needs of my organization.

Pros

While I have taught myself to use other forms of graphic design software such as Inkscape and to a lesser extent, Adobe InDesign, lately I have found myself increasingly using Canva as my go-to graphic design tool for 90% of what I do. I use Canva for Work now, and love that I can have brand colours and fonts at the ready, and can easily produce designs in just the right dimensions for various applications without having to look up what those dimensions should be. I have given access to my Canva account to colleagues so that they, too, can generate quality, on-brand designs, and the more I use Canva, the more templates I can make available for others on my team to copy and adapt. I also find the fact that it puts access to vast libraries of free and paid clipart and photos at my fingertips extremely handy.

Cons

There are just a few respects in which Canva comes up short relative to programs like Inkscape:
-There is currently no way to create curved text, or text along a path of any kind;
-There is no eraser tool, which could sometimes be useful;
-While it can export print-quality PDFs, I find that the PNGs it produces are not always of the resolution I'm looking for and would love the ability to obtain a higher ppi

Great Product

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

This is one of my favourite social tools and I think every business should use it. The free version has a lot to offer and it can be used for a number of applications from flyers to ads to social!

Pros

I absolutely love this software. I use it multiple times in my day, both on it's own and along with other programs, such as Photoshop. It makes it really easy to create high quality social images and other business designs. It is easy to use and has a number of features including stock imagery, shapes, frames, layouts, fonts, colours etc. It allows you to upload your own images and quickly organize them. I have used both the paid and free versions. Both are great tools and the free version gives you access to more than you need if you are a small business. The paid version allows you to upload your brand elements and gives you access to additional images and icons. I have also used the Canva app which is great for on the go but is not as easy to use, however, it is getting better as they update it. Canva also has several download options and the newest version gives you the option to make basic moving images.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to organize and manage images and designs. It would be great if I could rename images and organize them within the folders. I also dislike that the image folders have a mass capacity.

The Canva app for your mobile device is not as easy to use. While it is helpful for on the go edits and designs I often times find myself limiting my design or pulling out my computer because it is a little too frustrating to use. However, they are making improvements which are making it easier.

I wish I could do multiple sizes of a design in one template. Because I resize for all of the different social platforms, I often end up with 3 to 5 of the same image in my design library, all different sizes.

Aanchal J.

Everyone is a designer with Canva; A good designer.

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

It is an exhaustive design tool and despite having almost every functionality present in it, the tool is not as heavy as other designing software. I repeat, Canva is a BLESSING.

Pros

Canva is a blessing to every person who finds Photoshop too difficult to work with and to all those companies who don't want to necessarily hire a graphic designer. So, I discovered Canva during my very 1st job when the only graphic designer in the staff would give me a tough time in sending across timely designs. I had to manage the social media pages and it was imperative for me to ensure, that graphics be prepared on time for me to post. That is when I started my search for a basic designing software that would fulfill making good looking post-worthy graphics. Given my requirement, Canva invariably surpassed the expectations since I never know you could get so much of functionality available FOR FREE. Quickly:
1) The Templates. Template size of almost each of the social media properties present in the digital space from Facebook, Twitter to Pinterest, Tumblr and more is available in Canva. You also get separate templates for cards, invitations, infographics and what not beside your custom dimensions. This means that all of our dimension woes are sorted.
2) Layouts with each template serve as a useful inspiration.
3) A large pool of FREE shapes, fonts, frames, grids, icons, lines, colours (including custom colours) to choose from. You can't ask for more.
4) A lot of formatting can be applied to a photo itself - photo effects, photo position, option to flip the pic, crop pic, group pics & other elements together.
5) Option to download the design as PDF, PNG, JPG or ALL.

Cons

1) Lately, Canva has been working really slow on even a good speed internet. It has been working excellently only when the WiFi strength is at it's peak. Despite this, Canva's functionality far outdoes the slow working that too has only been happening recently.
2) The free photo bank is boring and repetitive. I feel the Team can add better pics as a part of free feature without giving away all the good pics which is a feature of the paid version.
3) 30 designs per template at a time. After you have created 30 designs using a template, you gotta create another design thread to use the same dimensions. I feel they can increase the limit. For a heavy Canva user, this only means that a lot of design threads of a single template will be created. This, in turn, will further make Canva's functioning slow.

Chris G.

CANVA 2.0: A Step Sideways

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

The original Canva 1.0 rates all 5 Stars. Easy to use, easy to see the various templates that beginners/advanced users wanted to find. Easy to select text elements and shapes..
For Canva 2.0? Take away a star across the board (4 stars.). They decided to not leave well enough alone. I can only find two improvements in a product that really didn't need improving, and they left out a notable chance to improve the app, by making image resizing a free, standard feature. That feature has become almost essential in 2018, and making it a premium feature is a shame..
Canva 2.0 buries the most often-used menu items (Shapes/Lines/Charts/Icons/Images) behind an unrelated menu option. If you want shapes, lines, or charts you'll need to click on "images". Then, scroll down the left side of the screen to find the elements you are searching for, and because they are now lumped together, get ready to scroll for awhile.
Despite the improved wider left side menu, using Canva 2.0 is a slower process than before.

Pros

Canva 2.0 remains the standard of excellence in online graphics creation for beginners through intermediate skill levels. Canva 2.0 widens the left-side margins of the app, allowing images and items you are searching for to appear larger on the desktop version. Once you find the "Find Templates" menu selection, you indeed have a VERY nice selection of graphics templates organized into a wider variety of categories than before.
If you peek at the APPS icon in the lower left, you'll see a large selection of great tools such as animation and gif creation, transparent backgrounds, image resizing, larger stock photo library etc., but they require the paid per month subscription.

Cons

Removal of the template selection screen. Asking the user to guess what the exact template style is by typing in an expression or description of the template, is a needless step backwards, all in pursuit of a cleaner looking interface.. If you want to enter your own design dimensions (say 1280x7200 pixels) the box for that is gone.
Yes, FIND TEMPLATES is quietly there on the left side of the screen, but I didn't notice it until I had used Canva 2.0 nearly a dozen times. This could end up being better than Canva 1.0 if they install a guide for newcomers, showing users where they've moved these commonly used tools to.... It's a bit conceited when designers believe their products are so well engineered that they think they need no instructions.

Susan D.

I'm a one person office who needs all the assistance I can get. Canva was a God send for me.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Time savings. Cost savings. Low-cost to no-cost illustration and photography selection is huge. User-friendly. From the graphics I created on Canva I've set up a regular posting schedule with another SaaS and now have 10,000 more visitors to my blog since I initiated my new system. Canva has played a big part in this.

When I first joined a few years ago, I had a difficulty in applying my payments to the correct business (I had a few at one time) so that I could use the bonus graphics on the right account. That issue was resolved but I thought the people I discussed this with via email could have handled that situation with a bit more clarity. I've operated computer since the 1970's and that little piece confused even me. But, as I said, it was resolved and it's been smooth sailing ever since with me and Canva.

Pros

Canva is user-friendly. I was able to get signed up and start producing social posts and eCards almost immediately.

The multitude of features give me versatility. After I style one social post, I can then resize it to multiple sizes to fit all my social media venues. That is an amazing time saver for me.

The variety of free to low cost graphics, both illustrations and photographs, offers a selection that is more plentiful than any service I've used in the past. And the ability to upload and incorporate my own graphics is a gracious and effective feature.

Canva is a cost-saving for my home business. Before Canva, I spent a great deal more time creating and styling graphics. I spent a great deal more money on graphics. The one-time fee for an illustration or photograph is a dream come true for me.

The Canva blog is full of design suggestions and ideas. It has been a wealth of knowledge for me as a self-taught graphic artist. It's given me ideas and sparked my creativity.

The Canva support desk is designed to be user-friendly and is not at all intimidating as some other help desks or forums can be. It has videos and instructions that can make anybody feel like a pro in no time.

Jessica L.

Totally revamped our marketing

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

easy to use, has really streamlined our marketing process amongst a team that doesn't always get to see each other, professionalized our design and taught us about graphic design without having to sit through extensive classes

Pros

I can't rave enough about this product. Before this, we were using MS Publisher and the templates are very antiquated with little guidance or some of us jumped to Adobe InDesign which is quite overwhelming. Canva has been a true game changer. It is so easy to use. No one here is trained in graphic design and there is great help/design school section for those who aren't trained but want to learn a little more about basic principles like font, negative spacing, etc. in hands on quick practice tutorials. They also include free templates that are beautiful and graphically pleasing if you don't know where to start. Uploading of your own images are quick and easy with png or jpg supported formats. I love that all the documents come in sizes like poster, facebook post, twitter and you can easily "magic resize" any document with very little tweaking to use the same design amongst all social media and posters with just the quick press of a button. I don't need to remember sizes anymore. You can share designs among team members so we can all keep the same branding, image folders, and color scheme or edit easily. If you have any worries about copyrighting of outside images, you can stay within Canva and search their free/paid images.

Cons

That you can't search by free images only and if not that feature it is frustrating that you can't organize them so all the free ones to come up to the top. That is literally the only "bad" thing I have to say about this product!

Nicole D.

Must Have Tool for Bloggers

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Overall Canva has greatly helped me advance my business because I was able to create professional looking graphics that attract traffic to my website for free.

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly and it was able to give me a competitive advantage when I just started my business, had no experience in graphic design amd had a very small budget . The free version has more than enough features. I love the simple drag and drop functionality. The ready to use templates make this product perfect for even the most novice of designers.

Cons

If you're looking to do more complex design such as creating layouts for magazines or designing large graphics for tshirts, for example, it becomes more tedious to use as you have to drag and drop everything and there are minimal text formatting options you may need to make dozens of text boxes to create the look you want. The free version also does not allow you to resize graphics or save graphics with transparent backgrounds.

Navid A.

Design it yourself like a pro

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

It gives you the power to create any printed/web document or image with the same tools. You started from a template to create a printed invitation, then resize it to a web banner and then to a flyer and then to a post with animation. It can take time to master it, but you always get some interesting results from the very beginning.

Pros

Many templates for all situations, from business card to flyer, from CD cover to banner, from social network post to cover page of social page, from web banners to posters... if you don't find the right size than create your custom page!! I have subscribed to the pro version that allows to resize any template and helps me save time. When you need printed documents, Canva will do it at convenient rate (never tried). You can't save a file locally in Canva's format, that stays in the cloud. You can export in pdf (hi or low resolution), jpg and png with transparent background (paid plan). You can also export animations and videos for social networks. Very interesting: share a document with other users who can edit. Many fonts available, actually to many. Many icons, images and drawings available to resize or crop.

Cons

If you have used any paint/drawing software, you need to forget all! You need to start from an existing template and then edit it, that's Canva's philosophy. Finding the right template can take longer then editing, when you have the paid version you ignore the destination they suggest (post, invitation, advert...) because you can easily resize it. Subscribe with the monthly plan and probably you get a good offer for the annual plan. You can't count on support, there are guides in the help section and usually you find explanations on youtube and other sites.

Chris S.

Fantastic online software, even with the free version

Reviewed on 2019/02/09

Canva is so easy to use, I use it almost daily. Social media posts, video thumbnails, blog post images are my most frequent use. Taking a document and updating it so we have consistent layouts, colors, etc. across thumbnails is incredibly easy.

Pros

Canva is fantastic. I can make mock-ups for marketing and social media pieces so quickly. I don't have a marketing background or degree (or design for that matter), but run a small business and we do the majority of our marketing online. Not only is Canva helpful with suggested file sizes and aspect ratios based on what you're building (social media posts, even posters or postcards, and tons more), but I can choose from prebuilt pieces and change any copy, layout, font, color, image, etc. So it's great for design ideas. I can even make decent mock-ups of images within images (example: a screenshot/image of our software on a laptop). While the functionality is not as robust as expensive pro software options out there, it has all of the functionality I need. If we had a full marketing team I could see how the paid version would be really helpful, but with just one or two of us, the free version is fantastic.

Cons

It's actually difficult to come up with something I don't like about Canva. Sometimes the functionality seems a little awkward with positioning images into a design or getting text to look exactly how I want to, but with a few minutes of finagling, I can usually make things work as closely as I really need.