Homebase

Free employee scheduling, time tracking, and more.

Marcus
Marcus

Excellent Scheduling Software for Restaurants/Bars

Reviewed on 2022/05/16

This is great way to track hospitality staff for clocking in and out, as well as recording some key data for payroll processing even if you do payroll outside of Homebase.

Pros

This makes scheduling our bar staff extremely easy and helps to track other payroll accounting data like start dates, hours, etc. It also helps to communicate with staff and provides a good source of applicants from a tailored database of hospitality industry applicants.

Cons

It could have more features for team communication and collaboration. The dashboard navigation is pretty straightforward but could be improved.

Jeff
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Easy to use, set-up, maintain, interface and adjust.

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

Exceptional. Set it and forget it.

Exceptional. Set it and forget it.

Pros

The interface/importing with QuickBooks Online. Easy to add time and track PTO, holidays, OT and more. Customization for our business hours was perfect. The cost is lowest I have found for the amount of features. T-Sheets in QBO is too pricey for us. Also the remote clock-in features and mobile app is a big hit with employees.

Cons

Importation of hours into QBO Payroll needs to be adjusted and checked, but having HomeBase open after importing employee time cards makes it simple. Just match 1 to 1 and your good. Also the initial holiday set-up can be a bit tricky but HB customer service is excellent and guided us through it.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Epicor was cumbersome and tricky for HR. That was a longtime ago.

Epicor Advanced MES

Price and Features. Paid Time Off (PTO) feature. Mobile App for remote use
Justin
Justin
  • Industry: Events Services

I regret purchasing Homebase

Reviewed on 2023/12/13

We are on the essentials plan. We have 45 employees. some of those employees are able to do more than 1 job. some of those jobs are a higher paying position (like bartender vs busboy)

When you hire a bartender at $15 per hour, if that bartender picks up a job as a busboy at $10 per hour - the software won't allow you have that bartender get paid at $10 unless you upgrade to their "plus" plan.

What was not explained was why this just became an issue in december 2023 and was not an issue when we onboarded all employees in september.

for that reason - i will not be renewing and will be sourcing a new sofrware. if i'm going to pay a higher cost, it wont be for the lack of customer service i've recieved to date.

i'll gladly update this review if the team can fix my issue but based on the customer service response i've seen so far...i dont see that happening without me making some noise.

Pros

The price was better than our old provider, wheniwork but maybe it turns out that you get what you pay for?

Cons

Customer service is very limited in what they are willing to say or do and you dont have a rep or salesperson other than when they first try to take your money and get you to sign up. I've sent messages for support or attempted to call or email my old rep that signed me up that went unanswered. When they have been answered - its been covered in technical jargon instead of a simple "yes you can do that by doing this or no, thats not available on your plan.

Bobbie
  • Industry: Medical Practice

FREE Scheduling / Messaging

Reviewed on 2023/11/28

Have been blessed with the ability to utilize a free app that allows me to schedule crew members & allows them to message each other if schedules need to change. Our volunteer ambulance agency also frequently holds training for other departments, meaning that I can add crew members/roles while I have students & then can remove them once classes are completed. Other apps that I have used had caps on the number of persons allowed to be added & even after deleting a person they still counted on the total number, meaning I couldn't add anybody else.

Pros

Allows volunteer ambulance team members to communicate & monitor schedule on the go. If an emergency happens we can communicate with each other remotely.

Cons

Messages are at times delayed. I don't "blame" Homebase due to the quality of our cell service in our area has been poor the past few months.

Peter
  • Industry: Food Production

Excellent for Restaurants, Hourly Employees

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

I've used this as an employee, then as a business owner for about the last 7 years. It's really a no brainer if you need a time tracking tool, and it has been upgraded consistently over the years to add more features. The hiring tool is surprisingly solid as well, and helps to market positions quite well.

Pros

I've used this for so long now it is hard to imagine what I'd do without it. We began using it as a simple time clock, and it has slowly become our go to for hiring, time tracking, time off, and employee messaging. If you have a mostly hourly workforce it is super simple to setup, and as your business grows it has helpful and intuitive tools to make your life easier. Their support in my experience can be a bit disorganized, but they always get the job done and are easy to work with.

Cons

Not as helpful for salaried employees as it is for hourly employees in my experience. The lower tiers lack some of the onboarding functionality and digital form filing I'd like it to have, but I think this may have been added recently.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase wins handily over BambooHR when it comes to hourly employees, and the value and ease of use it brings to busy workplaces.
Matt
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Homebase

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

When we first launched we had a programming issue where the time clock would crash once a day. The team at Homebase was quick to address the issue and put us in contact with the development team who got us on a beta version of the next release. This fixed our issue and the team at Homebase was responsive and open to feedback as we previewed the upcoming release.

I have had representatives from Homebase reach out to my multiple times for feedback on their products. It is refreshing to see a company openly solicit feedback from their user base in an effort to improve their product. Every interaction I have had with their staff has been positive.

Pros

Homebase has been the perfect time clock system for our business. It was easy to configure and with the entire system web based I can monitor our staffing when I am off site. We use a wall mounted iPad to clock in and out which was less expensive than many physical time clocks.

My staff has enjoyed having access to their Homebase dashboard where they can easily review their punches/total hours.

One of the best features is the ability to specifically define your pay periods. Many systems only offer weekly, biweekly, or monthly with no customization of dates. Homebase allows complete customization for when you would like you pay periods to start and end.

I have also used their hiring tool. It is by far and away the easiest tool I have used to publicly post to multiple job sites at once. It is very straight forward and has been a great resource in helping us in our hiring.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a quality product and the team at Homebase has been quick to respond to any issues we have had.

Virtual TimeClock

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Looking for a cloud based time clock to replace our failing legacy time clock

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

The cost (as low as $0), the ability to define pay periods, cloud based, ease of use
Joshua
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Much more than the Software we needed

Reviewed on 2020/01/31

We needed a better way of tracking time and calculating salary. Manual entry and spreadsheets were all we hoped to replace, but Homebase has made us realize how much time we used to spend in scheduling and payroll. Now we can do scheduling while on the road, on a trip or make last-minute changes on the fly. Basically, more beach time and less office work. I have shared the benefits of Homebase with many of our affiliate companies.

Pros

First off......It is free for basic features. I love that it has an app for phone and tablet use. It is very intuitive and easy to learn. Staff can track their time and their salary. I could make a huge list here, but basically it is the software we needed, but now we can't live without it.

Cons

Some of the features are a little on the expensive side when purchasing plans, but mostly because of our exchange rate.

7shifts, Deputy and BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Too much wasted time on scheduling and time tracking. We didn't know we could find a single software that had the complete solution.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

We felt that Homebase was much more inclusive overall allowing us to complete almost anything payroll related within one app.
Claire

Helpful and Easy Communication

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

We switched from Slack because homebase puts scheduling/time-off requests/shift trades all in one place and allows employees to do some of that work on their own. Hooray!

Pros

I love the ease of communication Homebase allows with employees. No need to exchange personal numbers and all of the communication is one place. Also allows employees to clock in and out from their devices which is awesome when your the point of sale is also the clock and out spot. This way, we don't have to interupt the workflow to clock in and out. Also really like how Homebase shows your earnings per shift. No guess work at what your hourly paycheck will be!

Cons

My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh. So the app will show that I have a new notification when it's actually something I have already checked on. Not a huge deal, but makes me feel like I'm missing something when I'm really not. I could also live without a notification asking if I have clocked out of my shift any time I work past by specified hours. For Example, shift ends at 11:30 but I don't clock out until 11:45 - I get at least one if not 2 text asking if I forgot to clock out.

Nicki
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Success with Homebase

Reviewed on 2023/07/06

For our team needs, I have been very happy with using Homebase for scheduling and team communication...

Pros

I like being able to use the mobile app for finding our team schedule and receiving updates on schedule changes. It is also easy to communicate with other team members on the app.

Cons

Homebase works well for our small, 20 person team. I would question if it was scalable for if our team exponentially increased.

Cheena
Cheena

Good for manager

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Overall, it is a good mangement tool and have great reporting capabilities.

Overall, it is a good mangement tool and have great reporting capabilities.

Pros

I like that schedules are showing in tables that is very organized.

Cons

I hope there is a way to put in the hours I need covered by a certain department and it will show if I have holes in the schedule. There is also no way put in bonuses, it is showing I can put tips but I would like to be able to put specific bonus type.

Danielle
  • Industry: Restaurants

It's is a good app, but is constantly lagging, no matter what device and internet connection...

Reviewed on 2021/03/10

See Above. I would like to say every time I have spoken with an employee from HB, they have been incredibly professional, polite, and knowledgeable. Homebase was also helpful during the early phases of Covid last year, with costs.

I do wish there was an easier way than what I was told, to update myself to the admin of the account. Our current admin is an IT guy we used a few years ago, who does not have access to the email he used for HB anymore. I was told you'll need my [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to contact, and provide bills addressed to Firefly with his name listed as well, showing he is the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. However, we are DBA, so nothing, not even our paystubs, state Firefly. Our DBA, is "Wes Pac Inc", which is what mail, licenses, and invoices state. If there is an alternate way to handle this, please contact me.

Thank you all so much for everything you do.

Pros

Asking for time off is simple for my employees, the message option is convenient.

Cons

Homebase since the beginning is constantly lagging. Whether it be to load pages, send or receive messages, especially sending images. Whether I am using the url on a desktop, or the app on my iPad or iPhone, it is extremely slow. I get message notifications long before the messages actually show up. It is like this for all my employee's that use the app.

The iPad version is difficult to use, it is as big as the size of a small phone screen, I don't understand why the app can't take up the entire screen of the iPad, like every other app I use on my iPad.

I don't know if this is an option, but for my restaurant in particular, as I'm sure is the case with many establishments that use your app, we have several different departments. I'd for one like to be able to only see my FOH employee's on the schedule, and have a separate for BOH.

It would also be convenient to not just limit the amount of employee's that can request off for a specific day, but to be able to limit by department. For example, to be able to say, 3 servers, 2 bussers, and 1 hostess is the limit for any particular day, rather than only being able to say 3 employee's in general is the max. I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense.

Additionally, working in a restaurant that is open nights and weekends, your support hours are not reasonable at all. There has been numerous times we've needed support and you have been closed, so we are just hopeless.

HotSchedules

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

It synchs with our Point of Sale System and pricing.
William
  • Industry: Hospitality

Overall good - customer service is disappointing

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

Pros

I really value the integration with Square POS that allows me to use the analytical tools within Homebase. It's really helpful for me to be able to see my labor estimates and even the weather (coffee is largely dependent on weather). I value the real-time feedback on my labor costs as well. I also appreciate the flexibility of the timecard programming that allows the real world to happen and for callouts to not totally disrupt my timecards. We LOVE your integration with Gusto that makes my payroll incredibly easy. I came into this position expecting to drop your platform for hotschedules, but I've stuck with it because you integrate really well.

Cons

I am currently having problems with your Square POS integration and it's causing me to not enjoy the best parts of your program. Unfortunately your technical support is so backlogged that I get calls late at night when I can't access the program to make a fix.

Fourth Suite

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

It's what we have right now, and its meeting my needs.
David

I've never seen so many bugs....

Reviewed on 2020/04/27

Bad,bad,bad. Customer service is responsive but there are just soooo many bugs with this software.

Pros

Very easy to use. The user interface is very simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

I feel like this is a beta software that should not have been rolled out yet. We have been using it for a week and have had issues every day since we started using it. Basic things that you think should just work doesn't work.
Example: All my employees have a 1 hour, unpaid lunch everyday. They clock in and clock out on this required one hour lunch but Homebase is still counting it in their total hours. So know I ma getting alerts that they all have overtime but they actually don't because Homebase is not calculating hours correctly.
So there have been several little things (Bugs) that I have found every day since using Homebase. I contact customer support and they tell me that they will pass it on to their product team.
This may sound harsh but the product team really should have tested this software more before rolling it out. Makes me question all the reviews I am seeing on here. All the bugs have been on basic functions.

Response from Homebase

Hi David -

We are so sorry to hear you've been having issues your Homebase account. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. Our head of technical support has just emailed you to see if we can remedy these issues for you. If you have any further issues, please reach out to me directly at [email protected]. Looking forward to getting these issues resolved for you, and so sorry again for all the challenges here.

- Ryan

Kaitlynn

The Features I Need for Free

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

Pros

I get to schedule employees and they get to see it on their phones, check schedules, ask for time off, trade shifts, and get reminded to come to work an hour before their shift starts! I can change timecards on the back end if I need to, see how many hours I have scheduled, and estimate what payroll will be. It's easy to clock in and out in the app and Homebase keeps up with the times for pertinent questions to ask when they clock in.

Cons

Trying to shedule a shift from the app will make the schedule go off. You put in one time and then it changes it 2 hours for some reason, not a big deal, it usually schedule from my laptop anyway.

7shifts

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

It had the features that I needed; multiple shifts per day and changing timecards for free!
Danielle

We Love Homebase

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

Overall. we love Homebase. It has made so many of our processes easier and streamlined. With a few tweaks, it could be even more amazing. The great thing is the company is open to feedback and often test and release new product features.

Pros

My team was using spreadsheets to schedule and to complete payroll before Homebase. What a manual nightmare. There were always so many mistakes and issues. Once we moved to Homebase, it instantly made things better.

My contractors were able to see their schedules instantly and at any time they needed it. The reminders an hour before their schedule help them to be on time for their shift. So we have fewer tardies. They can also check their payroll amount at any time during the month instead of having to wait until the end of the month when I am able to calculate it. They have also made schedule swaps easy.

It has helped my person who does the scheduling tremendously. It has helped her to be able to get our schedule done in a much faster and efficient way.

It has helped me complete payroll in a fast, easy effective way.

Cons

There are sometimes glitches, especially with the app. They are overall minor but can be a pain. For example, sometimes when there is a swap made on the app, it will show a notification, but when you go into the app it doesn't show the swap. Good thing we keep up with them in a chat or we would have no idea who was trying to swap.

Also, it is mostly geared towards companies with employees, this could be great if there could be modifications for people who have contractors and do not have to abide by the same restrictions, such as 8-hour shifts, working days consecutively, etc.

David
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Homebase should be a part of every business that has employees.

Reviewed on 2021/11/10

Overall, Homebase is a great tool that any business can use and benefit from.

Overall, Homebase is a great tool that any business can use and benefit from.

Pros

It's VERY user friendly, makes scheduling extremely easy. Also makes tracking hours and Labor$ easy as well. I also like the option of group messaging which enable s managers to communicate and issues or changes efficiently.

Cons

When an employee fills in their "availability" on Homebase, I personally would do away with the option that says "preferred' and replace it with the word "available" The reason:
whenever I copy a schedule to the following week, I can easily accidently schedule employees on days the did not, or weren't able to work, because the system would allow me to schedule them outside their preference. The way I solved this issue was by telling my employees to put in the availability as "unavailable" that way, whenever I would schedule them on days, or hours, they weren't available to work, the system would only then alert me that they can't work those hours!!
With that being said, I don't understand why the "preferred" option is even there! :) I don't care what they prefer, I want to know when they can't work so I know what NOT to schedule them.
you're welcome :)
I have called in the past, twice, and explained my suggestion, but no one seemed to get what I'm talking about, maybe because they're software engineers and not business managers.

William
  • Industry: Public Safety

I could NOT Schedule without Homebase!!!!

Reviewed on 2021/03/05

I could NOT conduct my scheduling without this product!!! It makes scheduling both easy and fun!!! I can print out my schedules in different views for different levels of approval. I will NEVER use another product!!!

Pros

I love the fact that you can see from start to finish your scheduled shifts. I can see my coverage in advance and adjust on the fly. I love that fact that each employee can have their scheduling without having to come into the office to see a sheet of paper. I schedule out every two weeks, so my staff can see their schedules and even trade with each other if they would like. I can also see who has or hasn’t seen their schedule so I know exactly who to call for clarification.

Cons

I would like to see a way to have real time coverage bars indicating who is on duty with an option to view their time on shift in a bar setting (like the schedule view) so that I don’t have to look at numbers.

UKG Ready, When I Work, Fresha and RedVector

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Homebase is a lot more powerful!

Price and ease of use!
Kelly

Scheduling issues

Reviewed on 2020/11/25

Pros

Two months ago, I would have given this software 5 stars all around. I think the software is easy to use and loved that I was unable to schedule my staff during their approved request off time.

Cons

The last 2 months have been a huge scheduling struggle. First, when my staff requested off, it would only show the amount of hours on the schedule builder, not the actual times I had to go look up the request off times every week for everyone and write them down to make sure I didn't schedule at times they couldn't work. This was very time consuming. For the last two weeks, the times my staff is requesting off is not what shows up on my schedule builder. Example, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] requested off the evening shift this Saturday, Nov 28th. It showed up on the schedule builder that I approved a request off for the day shift. This has been a huge issue It has taken me so much longer to produce a schedule and I have had to work a lot of shifts that my employees requested off and could not get covered. I am extremely frustrated and am considering looking for other scheduling app options if this situation doesn't get fixed soon. I understand technical issues can occur during updates, but for 2 months?

Jordan
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Good

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

Easy to use. A bit slow when loading some pages, such as the applications page. Some parts don’t work as well as they should.

Pros

I like that I can easily see and adjust people’s schedules. I like that they get notifications that their shift is coming up. The push to my calendar is also a plus. Onboarding is simple. It’s well thought out.

Cons

I’d like to be able to write mock schedules. I know Homebase integrates with some POS, but it doesn’t with mine. It would also be great if there was discount for multiple stores under the same account. Adding photos to a message sometimes does not work. Could we get the ability to have a separate message stream even if it’s to the same group of people?

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Free version. Then I was hooked.
Kalen
  • Industry: Sports

Homebase - a versatile tool that probably does what you need (& more)

Reviewed on 2022/05/18

All in all homebase's functionality does a great service to our small business as a tour company with erratic hours and at different pay scales. The payroll integration with Gusto is key here.

Pros

Homebase's integration with our Gusto payroll service makes this a critical piece of our business.
The ability to select different pay grades for different jobs, and to send messages about shifts is also a major plus.

Cons

It can feel cluttered if you only need it for a few features (it can do a lot), and the app's need to access employees' location on their device can make for a clunky experience at times (i.e. if they generally keep their location off, or miss the second step of the confirmation screen).

Gusto
Paden
  • Industry: Hospitality

Love the APP! Wish you had cheaper monthly subscription options

Reviewed on 2021/03/10

Great! Just wish I could afford pro.

Great! Just wish I could afford pro.

Pros

We love the software. It allows us to schedule, save info, talk to employees, and hire! I would love to have the pro feature but we simply cannot afford over $300 a month just to schedule and speak to employees. I’m a VERY small business and that takes about all the left over money I have at the end of the month.

Cons

The price, it also has been glitching ALOT. Most days I can’t see the schedule I created. The app will appear blank as if nothing has been created. I have deleted and redownloaded the app and still experience issues.
The fact you can’t have multiple managers to adjust the schedule SUCKS. I am always signed in under my husbands profile to adjust the schedule. Please fix this. So many company’s would love this new permission set.

Paycom, Square Virtual Terminal and Toast POS

You were free.
Anthony

Great Scheduler and Time tracker

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

Pros

I use the free version and the functions and customer support are excellent. I have called them several times and they always answer and always solve the problem. For free you cannot get much better.

Cons

The free version lacks a few features I would like to use, such as time card saving and managing how far before the shift an employee can log in. The problem I have is the paid plans are too expensive. The pricing goes from zero to expensive to very expensive. There is no mid tier pricing for someone like me that wants a few extra features.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Needed a scheduler and more features.

Cost
Daniel
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Multitool for time and attendance

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

I am an early adopter and have watched the software development from version 1. It has grown quite a bit and I have referred 15-20 other businesses. Though they never mention me for a referral bonus.

Pros

I love the scheduling and time and attendance features. I like the flexibility and the abilities of my team to control their own schedule and time off.

Cons

I dislike that the only feature I require from the next tier (+$20 per month) is different job codes so I just don't use it. I renegotiate payrate and time to achieve payrate differential for alternate job descriptions. It it was a weekly issue, I would switch products... that's how serious of a flaw it it.

Also, Shift Ratings are a good idea but the functionality to retrieve their comments is clunky and I only remember to search it out once a month. It just makes it a throw away feature.

Dan

Reviewed on 2021/03/05

Out grew it. Seems like it is more for food services industry instead of Technology Consulting services. We got away with stretching the functionality for our needs (like having to make everyone a manager). It was good for the year we used it with about 8-10 people, but now that I have rolled out company wide, it just wasnt the tool for us going forward

Pros

cost and initial functionality for what we needed

Henry

Perfect For Small Crews and Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2021/09/11

I came across Homebase after searching for an affordable, user friendly scheduling software that would replace my company's outdated system. It works very well with small handful of employees, and they improve their system over time.

Pros

Homebase works much like an Excel spreadsheet...but easier and minimalistic. There are not as many services out there as one might think, and most of them are meant to organize hundreds of employees. Homebase seems to have been made for smaller businesses and crews, with an interface that is easy to work with.

Cons

Printing. Printing the schedule directly from the program was, at first, a nightmare, and the same can be said for sharing the finished schedule with others. Now, however, Homebase has made their integrations more robust ,and there exist more format features.