MOVEit

4,7 (61)
Secure data & file transfer for enterprise-level users

Timothy N.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Top notch products and company.

Reviewed on 2018/05/21

A consistent and dependable platform for worldclass managed file transfer.

Pros

I give Ipswitch and their products the highest marks in all categories. They are very strong and consistent in all area's and are what I like to call "the full meal deal".

Cons

The looming threat that they could go public someday and risk losing that personal touch we have become accomstomed with.

Donna G.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Progress MOVEit is one stop solution for file transfers

Reviewed on 2021/05/21

Enterprise consolidated file transfer mechanism.

Pros

MOVEit is easy to use and easy to train

Cons

File Activity Report displays host friendly name not true connection. If Friendlyname is not specific you dont know the true connection that is occuring.

ActiveBatch

Reasons for Switching to MOVEit

MOVEit interface and ease of use / administration.
Jeff B.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

MOVEit does exactly what we need it to do.

Reviewed on 2021/12/29

We have been very pleased with MOVEit. It is relatively inexpensive and give us exactly what we need. Prior to MOVEit we had file transfer tasks housed on multiple servers around the organization and each one of these transfers was custom scripted. We've used MOVEit to centralize all file transfers to a central location that is managed by a team that is well versed in our data governance policies. This has allowed us to easily manage, monitor, and report what data is leaving our organization via file transfers. A secondary benefit of MOVEit is it's ease of use. Our MOVEit administrators can setup a new automated and scheduled task in a few minutes with no scripting needed. But when more complicated data manipulations are needed we also can easily incorporate a custom script into the MOVEit task. This ease of use is key to our small team managing 1500 file transfer tasks.

Pros

MOVEit is extremely simple to use but still offers robust and extensive functionality. We currently have about 1500 file transfer and/or manipulation tasks setup in MOVEit. Most of these are scheduled and run without human intervention. It is a stable product that rarely has issues. In the 5+ years we've owned it we've only had one instance where we needed a patch from support. MOVEit drag and drop task builder allows the team to setup a new task in a matter of minutes.

Cons

There's not much we don't like about MOVEit. But it would be nice to have a smoother transfer of tasks from a testing environment to production. We've also builtbri

Good start but a little lacking

Reviewed on 2019/02/04

Pros

Managed file transfer is something that can be difficult to do an even more difficult to do right. MOVEit is a good start and they offer 80 percent of any features that a company may need. The ability to finely control the flow of documents that are transmitted to us was the best feature.

Cons

They were not able to handle a very high volume of files being transferred. This was a deal breaker for us but they were good otherwise.

Response from Ipswitch

Thank you for the honest feedback back. I have passed this information on to our Product Management group.

Oliver M.

MOVEit has completely gotten out of the way and allowed me to do what I need to do simply

Reviewed on 2022/01/14

File moving and SFTP. MOVEit is a simple solution for getting everything where it needs to be. I've used MOVEit Automation more and more as things have come up that I can use it for, which is a lot. We've grown into it being the first choice for much of our file automation that just needs to work and be a quick turnaround.

Pros

It's simple and powerful so it doesn't get in your way but allows you to affect what you are doing to a large degree. I'm was able to get this set up in all out environments within 1 month tested and functioning. I also like that MOVEit Automation has allowed us to continue creating tasks as we get more advanced with it.

Cons

Database views do not exist by default which would be helpful for reporting. Reporting in general could be given a feature upgrade. It does pull reports but it's not a simple process and the ability to tie into something like Power BI is not there. Even having several views setup in the database by default would make this quicker and easier to get setup for reporting. When something touches as many files as MOVEit Transfer and MOVEit Automation do you want to be able to report on metrics from it immediately

Erin C.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

MOVEit system works great for sharing files securely

Reviewed on 2021/08/20

Uploading files is easy and efficient in MOVEit. It's secure, and it's simple in that uploading files for frequent, ongoing compliance monitoring is the only thing that I use it for. It makes my job easier and does exactly what I need it to do with no technical hassles.

Pros

My program undergoes different types of audits on a continuous basis for compliance monitoring. MOVEit is the system primarily used for submitting requested files. They send me a secure link, which takes me to my MOVEit account, and that is where I upload files and can send related messages. The alternative is sending files as attachments in encrypted emails. With MOVEit, I like that it's separate from my email, where I can log in whenever I need to, specifically to see what I've uploaded and when, rather than looking through my email where I have to wade through many other sent and received messages to find what I need. I also feel complete confidence that the confidential files I'm uploading are secure.

Cons

I'm unable to copy others in my organization (supervisors) that I would like to be able to include on audit submissions. But because I don't have this ability in MOVEit, I've developed other tools for saving/archiving the files I've submitted on MOVEit, which keeps a record of what's been submitted and when. If I were to leave my position, this keeps an audit record that my supervisor and potential future replacement could have access to even if they did not have access to my MOVEit account.

Jason L.

Powerful tools!

Reviewed on 2021/11/04

Pros

MOVEit Automation from Progress is an excellent program. It's learning curve is moderate, but once you get the hang of it, the power at your fingertips is immense. We are able to retire a 20 year old batch scripting and email notification application to an easy to use GUI in Automation.
GUI interface
easy to set up notification
added bonus for scheduling file level folder backups

Cons

lack of direction for overcoming the learning curve. (third party Youtube videos were hit and miss).

• Industry: Mining & Metals

Moveit Transfer and Automatin

Reviewed on 2021/11/22

Although both products place me in the middle of any two given entities, they also allow me to bridge the gap between sender and consumer for critical operations, including payroll and bank transactions.

Pros

Transfer is super-secure, and able to handle large volumes of file activity. Automation is feature-rich and the user interface allows for easy file transfer troubleshooting.

Cons

Automation requires Tomcat knowledge if you want to secure with a certificate. Transfer reporting options could be more robust.

Matt C.

MOVEit DMZ Review

Reviewed on 2021/11/04

Pros

I like the search functions as well as the ability to scan through users and groups easily. Navigation within the program is relatively easy as well. On the back end the handling on configuration and setup is pretty easy to do as well.

Cons

running custom reports could use some work. It runs out of a sql database so some simple sql query searches through the gui would be a nice feature.

Scott H.
  • Industry: Insurance

MOVEit fits the bill as Mission-Critical platform

Reviewed on 2021/11/19

Pros

We've integrated MOVEit into our transactional system and with its failover and automated routines, we can rest assured that files are moving around as expected and unabated.

Cons

We've not yet come across anything the MOVEit cannot do, and have no qualms with highly recommending MOVEit to others.

Sean S.

Review of MoveIt Automation

Reviewed on 2021/02/03

The biggest benefit I have seen is the ability to give people control to do their work without having to install a program on their PC. By giving them access to the Web interface it make deployment to users easy.

Pros

The feature I like the most is the ability to have tasks start other tasks so that you can create processes that require little to no intervention.

Cons

The one thing I do not like is not having the ability to sort files when you browse them using MoveIt. Some times you need to find files for a specific date but because MoveIt sorts by name it make it hard to find files in large file repositories.

Garrett M.

Good but needs new look

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

Tons of functionality, security features are pretty good, logs and reports are nice, and it's usually easy to setup and upgrade. It can be run on premise which is great, and has features like an Outlook plugin that people like to use. Technical Support for the program has been great every time we need them, which is always over a mySQL database issue.

Cons

The user interface and functionality is lacking and we complain about it. It's older style, not HTML5 yet, and just looks outdated. Using java or flash plugins is horrible for users. The emails look outdated as well. Clients complain sometimes about how difficult it is to navigate and get their files. We have used this product for 6+ years without a major interface update, and it needs one.

Brandon R.

Simplify Your File Transfer Needs

Reviewed on 2021/01/15

We utilize a hosted SFTP solution, file transfer operations (both internal and external), and monitoring of those file transfer jobs through our MOVEit software collection. It has integrated with our business well and has reduced the time it takes to implement a new job.

Pros

The software provides an intuitive GUI interface for both administrators and users. It allows an organization to place some of the functionality back in the user's hands and provides and ease for external entities to exchange data and information for organizations.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about the software. Of course, there are cheaper alternatives, however in my experience they do not compare to the ease and customer support provided by the MOVEit platform.

Mike M.
  • Industry: Printing

MOVEit for workflow automation

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

MOVEit is at the center of all of our workflow. We move thousands of files every day using MOVEit without issue and this service handles all of it effortlessly. It is easy to administer and just works day in and day out.

Pros

This product is versatile and infinitely customizable. We have a variety of tasks set up that range from simple to extremely complex and this product can handle all of it without issue. We have thousands of tasks set up that with a vast majority running every few minutes and the server never bogs down

Cons

The only issue we are running into is having to schedule regular runs in addition to watching for new files since the new file notification service on Windows often fails

Judy W.

Move it for Precision Director

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

We did not have a choice in using this software, but again, once we got through the difficulty of setting up the platform, the product has been working great.

Pros

Once we got the software working correctly, it does the transition of files quickly and easily

Cons

When we were setting up the product to use for Precision's Director product, we had difficulty setting up the program because we did not have support from Precision and did not have support from the MoveIt team.
Our IT rep basically had to figure out how to use the software and do troubleshooting on his own.

Darwin B.

Set it and forget it

Reviewed on 2021/02/03

This solution has helped us to centralize and streamline all of our data transport needs. The ability to log in to Office 365 Sharepoint and upload data to our cloud repository was a real game changer for easily and securely sharing real-time data with external sources.

Pros

Very intuitive to setup and use. Includes lots of choices for being notified if there is an issue so my team does not have to baby sit it.

Cons

The standard version of MoveIT that we purchased does not include the option to include a list of the files that were transferred in the email notification sent by the program. This has been our most requested feature from our end users, but it only comes with enterprise.

Sameena S.

Great tool for getting the job done

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

It has been a great experience. we purchased support so we were able to get assistance with set up which was very helpful. then it is a set it and forget it solution.

Pros

This is a product that gets the job done. it has the security features that makes our Core Provider comfortable and is affordable enough for a company our size to implement.
once it is in place and running - the software has not given us any trouble.

Cons

It takes a minute to figure out but once you do it is very user friendly so I cannot say there is anything i don't like about it.

Nicholas C.
  • Industry: Automotive

Move-it Tranfser and Move-it Automation

Reviewed on 2021/01/04

Pros

Having used the software for many years now, we have become quite familiar with the product. Over the course of time, we have been able to use the Outlook Plugins and API to customize our process. With minimal assistance, the products have served us very well.

Cons

The only issues that we have had is with the logging/reporting. There have been some issues getting the information that we are looking for in the logging, but with a quick call to the support team, that was resolved with little pain.

Andre G.
  • Industry: Banking

Good product

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

Once it is set up, it is a solid product. We've been using it for years and have had minimal issues with it.

Pros

The fact that secure file transfer and secure e-mail is in the same product.

Cons

The support/troubleshooting could be a little better when issues are identified.

Si T.
  • Industry: Banking

excellent product and support

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Pros

Being able to bypass email for sending large files was our primary goal.The software is very easy for sending or receiving large files that would otherwise not be allowed via email. The software has great security systems in place that stop bots and brute force attacks. Many different connectivity options.

Cons

Auditing is not explicit to show what actions were performed, only an "update" by a username with a date time stamp. Even if one clicks "OK" and no change was made, it is audited as an "update"

Anand B.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

MoveIT is a highly efficient tool for file transfer. It has amazing features.

Reviewed on 2018/05/26

Pros

MoveIT is a highly efficient tool for file transfer. It has amazing features like archiving, adding tasks and scripts. It also give immense flexibility to be integrated with other softwares. It is highly used for running tasks related to file transfer, renaming them and even archiving them.

Cons

There no big shortcomings in this softwares. It can be enhanced to have email notifications. Also, it should be able to run as a desktop application and sends reports.

Ryan J.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2020/12/31

Pros

It's very easy to use and figure out. The UI is intuitive, it's flexible and has been able to anything I've tasked it with doing.

Cons

The only gripe, which is more of a feature request, is the ability to automatically delete emptied folders. Reporting / logging for troubleshooting purposes is fairly light, BUT the online KB system has had an article related to every issue I've seen.

Victoria H.

Moveit Central - love the ability to automate processes

Reviewed on 2018/01/23

it' used daily - both the DMZ and Central. Central we have used to automate a lot of tasks that previously were done manually and it's been a great benefit to the business as well as to the support team.

Pros

Moveit Central - ease of use and powerful functionality. moveit DMZ - secure and easy to setup/use. Provides reporting and good functionality.

Cons

It can be a little complicated to setup. Best to plan it out before starting as its hard to make changes after wards.

Athar S.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

I really liked this product , i used it in my previous places and onboarded when i join this company.
Product is easy to use and aligns with our security requirements.

Pros

Guest User life cycle management
Data at rest encryption
No end user training required
Auto IP lockouts

Cons

I still find progress can add few commonly used reports without going through the hassle of starting from scratch

Ron G.

MOVEit Just Works

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

Pros

MOVEit has been in use at AAA for years and has become a major part of the business. Ease of use has been improved with the current version. Reliability is important and MOVEit is a product we depend on.

Cons

email in Automation not integrated with company email.
Would like to move to the Cloud version but is still cost prohibitive.