Submittable Reviews

Submittable

Online submissions management software for digital content

4.8/5 (72 reviews)
Mary jane E.

Submittable...How do I love you? Let me count the ways!

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Try me another day...I am out the door to a meeting.

Pros

Making the decision to shift our application process to online, I was concerned that it would meet the needs of the artists and writers applying and also ease transition for a middle to senior aged office team with varying degrees of electronic saavy. Needless to say we continue to remark on an almost daily basis how we LOVE Submittable. Ease of use was foremost and the Submittable staff are always right there with customer support. Any concerns or suggestions were addressed and often appeared as Submittable staff tweaked and updated the software. Likewise input from customers is often solicited. This open process continues to make the software better and better as new features are added and functionality is streamlined. Over the years Submittable continues to be software service and customer oriented. From staff and applicant feedback, I understand that Submittable greets anyone from neophyte to expert electronic guru users with the same degree of respect, patience, expertise and professional service. I especially appreciate the ease in navigating the software features. Ease in accessing and reviewing all areas of our applications, accessing correspondence with applicants and reviewers, sending out requests for character statements automatically, controlling access to all areas of the application and processes as needed have streamlined the time and task of handling actual materials. No more incomplete applications. Electronic deadlines hold fast.

Cons

Do I miss having USPS delivering stacks of applications for weeks on end around deadlines, when apps just pop up on the list in Submittable? Do I miss the file prep for each application as materials dribbled in little by little and were sometimes incomplete even after the deadline due to weather etc. when that is all tracked by the software? Do I miss handling over and over sections of the application and loosing track when interrupted in the process when a click of a mouse brings me right back? Do I miss being stuck at my desk surrounded by stacks of applications when I now access the applications anywhere there is wifi...even 12 time zones away which is what I did for the last batch of applications? Do I miss being burdened by attempts to streamline or simplify a labor intensive process only to discover all the benefits of using Submittable? Do I realize how staff are freed up to manage more productive tasks in the office than pushing files and paper? Do I realize that the staff team are excited to see applications appearing on their screens, versus groaning when the USPS truck drove into the parking lot? Do I realize how much more economical Submittable is versus staff time and energy factored in with hand processed applications? Do I realize how much more fun it is to problem solve around tailoring the software with Submittable staff to address a need? Do I wish our staff team had transitioned to Submittable sooner? Yes, no regrets we are HUGE Submittable fan

Great platform but could work better

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/08/14

In my opinion, user experience and interface matter. Submittable has a clean look that is welcoming to users. It's not a perfect platform and we've had to work around it. The team is very responsive, however, and seems open to improving their product. If only they could move a bit faster.

Pros

Submittable is easy to use and intuitive. With drag-and-drop options, creating an application takes minutes. Logic branching also helps when you want to gather more info based on an applicant's response. The file upload features are also very helpful.

Once your application is live, you can track and label applications as they come in. This is helpful since a quick perusal of an application can determine eligibility. One quick label and you can filter it out during the full review process.

The reviewer portal is equally intuitive. With side-by-side views, your reviewers can read and answer questions or rate the application without having to switch screens. You can also set certain application fields (such as name, gender, etc.) to blind so that there is no bias based on these questions.

Overall, Submittable is a great application portal and get your money's worth.

Cons

Recommendation letter request emails don't get sent out until AFTER the applicant submit their application. This is fine in most cases but you do have to offer a small grace period to recommenders. It would be great if applicants can enter a recommender and hit a button "Request Letter."

The forms can also become rather long if you have a lot of questions. It could affect completion rates.

Finally, just as you are able to remind reference letter writers through the portal, it would be great to be able to remind those with incomplete application about the upcoming deadline. Right now, you can request a list of incomplete applications but you only get name and email addresses. It would be good to see some of the data that the applicants have completed so far.

Donna T.

Submittable makes life easier. As an independent literary organization, we find value in this tool.

We save time.

Pros

What we like most about Submittable is that it allows us to manage submissions more efficiently. I'm not a fan of documents and tasks "living in email." Having a robust product like Submittable saves us time in reading and replying, as well as offering a way to capture and analyze submission data. I cannot imagine handling hundreds of submissions at a time via email, especially with a large reading panel. The built-in tools, such as sorting, labels, varying permission levels, templates, etc. allow us to customize it for our needs. I should add that any time we had a question, customer service responded right away, sometimes within minutes. Even over holidays. What did we do before Submittable? Seriously! What. Did. We. Do?

Cons

There aren't any major cons with Submittable. I'd love some more robust reporting and sorting features and maybe custom permission levels, as there are a few things I'd like to do, but cannot. For example, I'd love to see team member data by specific category, not just by a duration of time. But these are more feature ideas, nothing that I'd consider negative about the existing product. If I had to say one thing, since our reading panel (the ones who use the software) has a varying level of comfort with tech tools that maybe some of the icons could be more intuitive.

Jeff S.

It provides me with all necessary services as a submitter. It provides all I require as an editor.

Reviewed on 2017/10/06

Pros

Submittable is convenient. As a submitter, it provides efficient mechanisms for making submissions and efficient tracking of those submissions. As an editor, it provides me with notices and updates to allow me to process submissions quickly and efficiently. Submittable is practical. As a submitter, a single page allows me to keep track of active submissions to several publications. As an editor, the features for reaction and response to submitters makes my job much easier. Submittable is uncomplicated, easily used, and easy to understand. As a submitter, these qualities make submissions tracking manageable. Submittable is used widely enough to be familiar to virtually all writers and artists who submit work for publication.

Cons

Our current package allows only 5 of our team members to have access to submissions. I could wish for more relaxed limits in that regard.

Donna W.

Not entirely intuitive, but doable for digital immigrants. "Chat" folks are responsive & helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Ease of receiving submissions, as opposed to the manual email system we had in place. Also the ability to link donations as an option when paying. It's a timesaver in processing submissions that allows us to get right to the content, rather than shuffling emails back and forth to our editors.

Pros

It works VERY well for receiving, tracking, reviewing literary submissions. So organized. Helps our statewide editorial team stay connected for working and communicating. Tutorial and articles are helpful tools when setting this up.

Cons

"Up ad running in 15 minutes"? Not likely. Big down side, is that it is EXPENSIVE for non profits, despite the discount. Monthly plans ding you bigtime for signer and submission allotments. We use Premium plan, the next step up is a GIANT leap up in price but also benefits. But we cannot afford that. I would like to see a product for bonafide all-volunteer non-profits with small budgets. Arts organziations are struggling these days.

Paul R.

This is everything we could have hoped to help keep our submissions on track and organized.

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

The only glitch I've had was when the "status" column was not working, but after contacting your service representatives, the problem was fixed within 24 hours. But that's not really a con, more a pro I guess.

Pros

As an editor, it keeps the entire process of submissions very organized. The ability to archive and track all the submissions that come through here, along with all the automatic data in graph form that Submittable contributes in regards to either our regular day to day submissions or our annual competition, is everything we want it to be. Not to mention that there are numerous places which one can tuck notes about this or that author whose work is on track to be published by us. In addition, allowing the person whose work we're considering to leave notes for us about their submission should parts of it be accepted elsewhere, is a huge bonus for any editor.

Amy S.

I administer an annual international photo competition for a non-profit conservation organization.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/07/14

Submittable helps me receive and track hundreds of photography submissions from users around the world, and makes collecting payments effortless. The staff is helpful and quick to reply to my queries.

Pros

Clean interface, flexible ways to sort submissions and tag them, and all actions and communications are logged by the system. Being able to customize the messages for various interactions with submitters is helpful. As our competition expands I expect to use the team functionality more. The Gallery function is an appealing way to display photos and allow the public to vote.

Cons

My primary difficulty is that entries cannot be sorted or tagged individually; i.e., when you tag a photo, the tag applies to the entire submission, not just a single photo. Since my competition allows up to 8 photos per submission, I have to sort in other ways after downloading the entries, which is a bit time-consuming but not a deal-breaker.
The login requirement for voting in the Gallery view has a dampening effect; also, there's no instruction telling viewers to click on a photo to enlarge the view. Gallery sorting tools would be a welcome function as well. Gallery View has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see how Submittable's developers change it in the future.

Micah B.

Reviewed on 2017/04/17

I seriously don't know how we functioned before having Submittable. We host festivals throughout the country bringing together art, music and wellness. This requires having submission forms for all 3, plus a number of others, including an Art Auction. Submittable became the solution that we didn't even know we needed. The Art Auction is just the latest example of something that we have done in the past but finally realized Submittable was the best method.

But it was their customer support that was the key. It was through discussing our needs with them that we were able to go forward. As we began using the system, they were always there to answer questions, provide an answer and take our feedback, which then resulted in changes that made for a better experience.

I find that they are still just an email away. This is rare, but is why I am here writing this now. As the Technical Director for O+, I am always looking for that technological answer, but I am also always weary as often new tech can go unused, can be un-user-friendly, can be daunting to learn, etc. which then makes it actually the wrong answer. Submittable is maybe the best example I can give to how tech can really be just the right thing.

Thank you.

Pros

Easy to use, and can be used very broadly. Great customer service. Great design. Feature rich.

Cons

Managing other users and exporting info can be better.

Linda S.

The people who work at Submittable are knowledgeable, good-natured, and GENUINELY helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Submittable WORKS, and their customer support is unbeatable!

Pros

Submittable can handle so many different document types that we never could ourselves. They listen when we have suggestions/requests. Everything can be tracked - no more lost manuscripts! They've made it possible for us to offer books at the same time someone makes a submission, a great option for us. And they can issue refunds with ease.

Cons

Searches (especially across a lot of categories) sometimes are a bit slow, but we do have a LOT of categories and a LOT of submissions for the software to sort through. We're so glad to have Submittable, a respectable and caring group that has the ability to keep up with technology challenges so we can do the work we love doing.

Jeremy R.

Submittable is irreplaceable in terms of the

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

The best thing I like about this software is how it serves multiple functions for our organization. I can easily create categories for submissions, receive submissions, the submissions can be commented on by the review team, and then I can correspond with the submitter all from within the same software. Each step of the process is easy to use.

Cons

Because of how many ways you can use the software, it takes a bit of time to get used to how to navigate between different parts of the program but once learned it's very user-friendly.

Olivia T.

The website and software is easy to use, reliable, and convenient.

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Pros

Ease of use on many levels. It streamlines an administrative process that could take endless hours. The software is not automated (and it shouldn't be), but there are enough templates and options to make the process of managing submissions very efficient.

Cons

The navigation menus are not intuitive. It takes too long to figure out where things are hidden. Having sub-menus would help. Also, inactive team members still show up when assigning. The editorial team of this journal changes every year and there are too many names. We don't want to delete past editors, but archiving them when they are inactive would be an improvement.

Chila W.

Submittable has made our publishing experience enjoyable, rather than laborious.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

Its ease of use makes it a joy to work with: it's a clearinghouse, a reply tool, and an organizational tool all in one.

Cons

As it has in the past two years, I'm sure it will continue to improve it's functionality in a few of its features. For example, I'd like our readers/editors to be able to receive submissions immediately instead of me having to assign everything, but remain on a blind level, and also not be able to decline the work, just leave notes as they currently can.

Brian S.

We've used Submittable from the early days of its inception and absolutely love it.

Efficiency

Pros

The software is intuitive and saves us tons of time. Customer support is always there quickly when we need something or have a question. We literally could not run our journal without it. It allows me to manage a large and complex team and hundreds of submissions at a time in pretty simple form.

Cons

Trying to view and work with the submission on the iPad is a little more clunky than I would like, but not a show stopper. I mostly use the desktop.

Lucian M.

This product is easy to use and indispensable to my writing endeavors

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

Pros

It's ease of use. Straightforward layout. Very user friendly. I like the app. Allows me to organize my submissions to literary journals and keep track of when I need to submit them before deadlines.

Cons

The navigation within the new "Following" area. I feel like there should just be a direct submit button rather than a "save" button. Right now I find myself having to go to a drop down menu up top to get to the submissions page. This is an easy fix though.

Laura J.

I edit a literary journal and we've used it for 3 years now.

Reviewed on 2017/10/07

Pros

It's the standard and most familiar for writers, which was the initial reason I chose it. But what sold me was the truly outstanding customer support. From talking me through the set-up to dealing with submitters who get confused with all technology, with any aspect of using the software, they are prompt, polite, and efficient problem solvers. No other company I deal with in any aspect of my life has customer service this good.

Barrett W.

Submittable is always there and always ready, everything exactly as I left it.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

I have many hundreds of ideas to make literature a better place, but before Submittable I was always bogged down by logistics. Not only was the world not ready for me--I also wasn't ready for the world. As multi-point to one point organizational tool it is indispensable to me. I have hours more in my day to dream, and now with two interns, everyone better watch out.

Elisa A.

Thank you, Submittable.

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

Submittable saves money and trees and time. It's easy to track submissions (and track exactly how much you're spending on submission fees.) It's fairly customizable -- you can choose whether or not you want to be emailed when the status of your submission changes, which, for a sensitive artist type who tries to stay even-keeled during her 9-5, is key. Uploading documents is very easy.

Cons

I wish they had an option for users to save a cover letter template -- a letter that would auto-fill and then you could tweak as necessary. It would also be great if you could add a permanent​ bio to your account for prospective publishers -- they generally ask for this in the cover letter so it would save time.

Jim M.

The perfect online contest platform for One Montana's statewide business pitch contest for students

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/05/15

Pros

We found it very easy to adapt/program Submittable to fit our specific needs. With the extensive online help library and a quick-response technical support team, answers to our questions were never more than a few minutes away. Additionally, neither those high school students who submitted entries to our business pitch contest nor our panel of judges who used an online rubric to evaluate submissions reported any difficulties.

Outstanding attentiveness to our contest timeline... When a couple students figured out that an email verification flaw existed with the Gallery View/Public Voting feature, they were able to submit hundreds of phony votes for their entry. As soon as the good folks at Submittable were alerted to the problem, they worked quickly (during the peak Christmas holiday season) to create a validation protocol that got voting for our Peoples' Choice Award back on track. We applaud the Submittable team for their effort on our behalf.

Cons

Response from Submittable

Thanks, Jim. We love hearing the word 'perfect' from our partners!

Overall, we are very pleased with the software. It is well worth the expense.

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

Their customer service department is outstanding. Their innovation team seems to be open to feedback from those of us who use the software. I will say, Submittable gives us virtual space to complete our work from all over the world. This keeps our organization and our entire field growing, and our talented team together.

Charan W.

Submittable Best Option of Several Grant Management Softwares Reviewed

Reviewed on 2018/08/07

As a small foundation we were looking for an affordable yet robust grant management software solution that would help us to automate our grant management processes, workflows, etc. Out-of-the-box Submittable was a great solution for us and they even went above and beyond to find workable solutions for our specific needs (multi-language support, etc.). Also, their on-boarding process and customer support has been tremendous.

Pros

Relative to other grant management software solutions we looked at Submittable was the most modern and professional in terms of look/feel and the easiest to use both from an administrator perspective and grantee perspective. Plus, Submittable was by far the most affordable solution and offered the best value for money in our opinion.

Cons

The only real downside was in terms of features/functionality; Submittable does not offer automated initial screening of applications. With that said, however, we were able to meet our specific business requirements with branching and Submittable was always willing to help us find workable solutions.

Kim C.

Very usable helps our work flow so much! We love Submittable :)

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

Helps us organizationally and is a fundamental part of our business. Easy to use and intuitive, we also have a lot of people on our team using it as well.

Cons

Sometimes the speed lags from page to page or it updates slowly. Usually it works really well but occasionally it slows down and slows the word day down.

A Dream for Users and Administrators Alike

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/15

Overall, Submittable makes my life easier practically on a daily basis. It makes submitting and tracking my work a breeze, and I'm so thankful!

Pros

As a freelance writer, I use Submittable on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis, and I am so grateful that it's become so common in publishing circles. Its ease of use sure beats licking stamps and endless trips to the printer, and I love that I can track all my submissions in one place.

Cons

The one caveat I have about Submittable is that, unlike some of its predecessors, it does not provide a place for applicants to enter an alternate name, as in a nom de plume. I use a pen name myself, and the absence of this feature has caused me some trouble. (I was once awarded a prize and the site listed my legal name instead of my nom de plume--which was fixable, but also avoidable.)

Amy S.

Submittable has been a lifesaver for our photo competition!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Enabled me to administer an international photo competition virtually on my own.

Pros

I appreciate the back-end tools that allow so much flexibility for reviews, judging, and organizing. Not only can I easily sort entries and entrants, I can download all their data for reporting and further contact. And the pricing structure allows me to use the software only when I need it, but still have access to all the archived data and photos.

Cons

I used the Gallery View feature for the first time last year and would like to see continued improvement in its user interface. Opening a new account is a barrier to lots of users, and I'd like to see it simplified so more people will participate in voting.

Dinty w M.

Submittable is the Best

Reviewed on 2017/10/06

Much greater efficiency and tracking ability

Pros

Clean, efficient interface. Great customer service. Excellent outreach to the customer base. I have used Submittable for years now and almost no problems. The once or twice that I did have a problem, I reached out and they solved it within half-a-day.

Holly A.

Best customer service ever.

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Pros

Really user friendly on both ends. Easy to make new categories, add team members, etc. And whenever I have questions, Submittable customer service is SO helpful.

Cons

There are a few features it would be great to have that aren't there yet, but they are always making improvements!