Submittable

Online submissions management software for digital content

4,8
4,9
Bernice M.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Good for external reviews.

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

I use this whenever I submit poems or manuscripts to publishers. It's really easy to use and it stores your old content which means that you never lose anything. I only use it when I have to. I've never used it for my own reasons. It's always when the publisher/competition requests its use. I have no reason to use it beyond that.

Pros

You never lose anything because it saves it for you as a PDF.
A full history of everything you have submitted and whether it is processing or whether its been accepted or declined.

Cons

Limited functionality. I can't really use it for anything personal. Only when I'm submitting work and the publisher/competition prefers this method.
It would be cool if I could save workable, InDesign or Word copies for my own use. If I have to download a PDF then I have to use another software to make the text editable which is always a hassle.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Laura J.

I edit a literary journal and we've used it for 3 years now.

Reviewed on 2017/10/07

Pros

It's the standard and most familiar for writers, which was the initial reason I chose it. But what sold me was the truly outstanding customer support. From talking me through the set-up to dealing with submitters who get confused with all technology, with any aspect of using the software, they are prompt, polite, and efficient problem solvers. No other company I deal with in any aspect of my life has customer service this good.

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

I've used Submittable as a business owner, a submitter, and as someone with access to read submissions. Overall, it's a pretty easy interface that allows you to collaborate and keep submissions organized.

Pros

I'm pretty sure Submittable is the only well-known service of its type, at least at the moment, but with that said, it is easy to keep track of submissions and their status as they come in, they notify you, and you can have an account with multiple people to split up tasks.

Cons

There are some things that could be a bit more intuitive, like tagging people and seeing what others have been assigned. It could be nice to have a reminder for older submissions that haven't been voted on or received a response yet, as well.

Overall, we are very pleased with the software. It is well worth the expense.

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

Their customer service department is outstanding. Their innovation team seems to be open to feedback from those of us who use the software. I will say, Submittable gives us virtual space to complete our work from all over the world. This keeps our organization and our entire field growing, and our talented team together.

Sarah L.
Company size: Self Employed

The easy way to submit documents

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

I've used Submittable to submit manuscripts to literary agents and editors and it's been a very easy and effective process. It's a nice one-stop-shop for my submission materials and nice to be able to check the status of various submissions in the same place. From the first time I used it to the last, it's been a straightforward, easy, experience.

Pros

It's impossible to format submissions incorrectly because Submittable only accepts the types of docs your recipient wants. It's an easy to use template to uplad the appropriate content and then manage your submission.

Cons

The only thing that's slightly a downside is that you have to be in Submittable to get all the information about your submission, but that's not really a problem.

Brian P.

Reliable and Effecient

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/20

I enjoy my work, and Submittable gives me confidence to stay organized and productive. I will learn to do more with it as I proceed and learn how to utilize what's available that I haven't tried yet (e.g. blind readings, running contests, etc.) The experience has been a very good, and as we grow our journal's submission rate which correlates to our growing readership, Submittable, I believe, will be an excellent tool for me as managing editor and the people who assist me.

Pros

I am able to manage my submissions quite easily with Submittable. It has many sorting options, and several tools to make reading a large amount of work manageable. Working collaboratively with other editors is possible and efficient because of the filtering functions (such as the use of labels, storing submissions, ordering them by date, alphabetically, etc.) and team management tools (such as the assigning of certain tasks to certain individuals, easy messaging, dissemination of work, etc.) I like the basic look/visuals of Submittable, as it is relatively intuitive to use. Furthermore, when I encountered troubles or had questions, I was given friendly and quick help over the telephone, as well as through their chatlines. Editing our site is also very easy.

Cons

I don't like that some services are offered to certain levels of subscriptions and not to others. I'd rather have a good, fair price for the use of Submittable's full functions. It's not always clear to me what I have in my subscription, even though not too hard to check, I suppose. Also, to "test" how forms will look to submitters seems a little complicated, but not too bad once going through it. I feel a little "blind" when sending out ACCEPT/DECLINE. Not sure what the solution is, however, and really does not present any real trouble for me.

Donna W.

Not entirely intuitive, but doable for digital immigrants. "Chat" folks are responsive & helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Ease of receiving submissions, as opposed to the manual email system we had in place. Also the ability to link donations as an option when paying. It's a timesaver in processing submissions that allows us to get right to the content, rather than shuffling emails back and forth to our editors.

Pros

It works VERY well for receiving, tracking, reviewing literary submissions. So organized. Helps our statewide editorial team stay connected for working and communicating. Tutorial and articles are helpful tools when setting this up.

Cons

"Up ad running in 15 minutes"? Not likely. Big down side, is that it is EXPENSIVE for non profits, despite the discount. Monthly plans ding you bigtime for signer and submission allotments. We use Premium plan, the next step up is a GIANT leap up in price but also benefits. But we cannot afford that. I would like to see a product for bonafide all-volunteer non-profits with small budgets. Arts organziations are struggling these days.

Linda S.
Industry: Publishing

The people who work at Submittable are knowledgeable, good-natured, and GENUINELY helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Submittable WORKS, and their customer support is unbeatable!

Pros

Submittable can handle so many different document types that we never could ourselves. They listen when we have suggestions/requests. Everything can be tracked - no more lost manuscripts! They've made it possible for us to offer books at the same time someone makes a submission, a great option for us. And they can issue refunds with ease.

Cons

Searches (especially across a lot of categories) sometimes are a bit slow, but we do have a LOT of categories and a LOT of submissions for the software to sort through. We're so glad to have Submittable, a respectable and caring group that has the ability to keep up with technology challenges so we can do the work we love doing.

Charan W.
Industry: Philanthropy

Submittable Best Option of Several Grant Management Softwares Reviewed

Reviewed on 2018/08/07

As a small foundation we were looking for an affordable yet robust grant management software solution that would help us to automate our grant management processes, workflows, etc. Out-of-the-box Submittable was a great solution for us and they even went above and beyond to find workable solutions for our specific needs (multi-language support, etc.). Also, their on-boarding process and customer support has been tremendous.

Pros

Relative to other grant management software solutions we looked at Submittable was the most modern and professional in terms of look/feel and the easiest to use both from an administrator perspective and grantee perspective. Plus, Submittable was by far the most affordable solution and offered the best value for money in our opinion.

Cons

The only real downside was in terms of features/functionality; Submittable does not offer automated initial screening of applications. With that said, however, we were able to meet our specific business requirements with branching and Submittable was always willing to help us find workable solutions.

Online Submissions Are the Future

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Many publishers use Submittable as a way to accept manuscript queries or submissions. There are several advantages to the author. Once you have an account, you can access all of your submissions. That makes it easier to find things again, versus e-mail submissions. And it's faster and cheaper than submitting through the mail, which many publishers don't even accept anymore.

Pros

When submitting queries or manuscripts to publishers, this is a relatively fast and easy method. Because the publisher sets up the fields they want, it's easy to know what you need to include, and where to put it.

Cons

The text windows are small, so when you paste in large blocks of text, you have to scroll to double check or change things.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Beth B.
Industry: Philanthropy

Great solution and a great price

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Overall, we saved so much time by using this online platform and our applicants appreciated it as well. The tech support people were responsive and helped us brainstorm solutions to get what we needed. They were awesome!

Pros

This was our first effort at an online application and it went off without a hitch. It is intuitive to both readers/reviewers and applicants. We were able to learn how to manage the application and review process in a few calls to the fabulous Gold Level Support folks. After using paper applications, it was amazing to have all of the information ready to go to readers by the next day. It is also very reasonably priced compared to other solutions so it fit our budget.

Cons

It would be great if reviewers could highlight or tag parts of the application as they read. We had to do some tweaking to be able to close the application at 5:00pm instead of midnight but Submittable has since added this feature. It takes a few steps to generate reports but it is manageable.

Lana F.
Industry: Research
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Submittable Review

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

I've been submitting manuscripts to publishing houses and literary journals through submittable for several years

Pros

I like that I can view all my submissions together at any time to see if the status of any of them (accepted, rejected, etc) has changed so I don't have to keep track of that myself

Cons

Some publishers require me to pay a fee to submit work to them, however I know this isn't really an issue with Submittable as the fee comes from the publisher and not Submittable itself (which for many places I've submitted has been free)

Siri C.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Excellent product, unbelievably good customer service

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

Pros

Submittable seems to have anticipated just about all the issues that I might have encountered in designing and running a contest. The software is very easy to figure out and runs without a hitch. And the customer service team, which helped me get started using the Gallery function, is beyond compare -- incredibly friendly and helpful. This team is a total pleasure to work with.

Cons

There's really nothing that I don't like about using Submittable. I am 100% satisfied.

Annette S.

Submittable is a great software temple for applications; its very user friendly

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

It allows you to make revisions without having to call for support. It also allows you to navigate through the system easily. IT Support is also easily assessable and helpful and for me very patience. Once you have created one application the rest are simple to follow, just as simple to make a duplication of the existing application.

Cons

I have no complaints about the software. I only fear is when requesting assistance and I receive a auto reply email stating it will take about 1 or 2 days for a response turn around that is entirely too long so I call for service. I would highly recommend this software to other organizations.

David J.

Makes difficult work easier.

Organization.

Pros

Cloud storage makes all the difference in collaboration and keeps everything organized. Sure beats email.

Cons

The inability to do copy and paste from the preview window makes it necessary to download files and open them with another program.

Chad B.
Industry: Newspapers

My experience with Submittable has been overwhelmingly positive.

Reviewed on 2017/11/29

This service replaces the need for a customized system that could be fiddly to manage.

Pros

Customer service is exceptional. Quick to respond and willing to work with client on particular needs.

Cons

I would prefer that there were larger field limits on forms for my tier of membership. Six fields is a bit small for any competition entry form.

Silusweyinkosi M.
Industry: Newspapers

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

The software is a one-stop shop for all submissions for writers as well as applications for job seekers. It also makes reviewing applications easy for organizations.

Pros

It is easy to track the progress of one's work submitted through Submittable to see whether it has been rejected or approved. The software makes it easy for organizations to have all their applications in one place for easy reviewing. It is easy to use and makes works easier for both applicants and organizations.

Cons

It has a template which is almost the same for almost all submissions.

Submittable is clearly the best platform for online applications. Superb tools and clear instruction

Reviewed on 2017/12/22

Pros

Ease of team reviewers and user-friendliness to applicants makes this a winning tool for our program needs. Ease of application fees is also a bonus feature.

Cons

Sadly, the full functionality of a relational database. I would love to see a partnership with FileMaker Pro

Jim H.
Industry: Education Management

This has been incredibly easy to use and has saved me an enormous amount of time with our submission

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/07/31

Enormous time savings and easy ability to share with team members at a variety of levels.

Pros

The most useful features for our purposes are the team member blind features. These allow us to track and filter our submissions without sharing that with our team of readers.

Cons

There are a couple of features that make our customized cover page a little clumsy. Particularly the Radio list will show True or False instead of Yes or No when I use it. I have discussed this with your support staff and they are aware of it.

Autumn M.

Submittable is flexible, convenient, and easy to use.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/07/21

Pros

As someone who submits work, I love the simplicity of the platform and the way it tracks my submissions for me.

Cons

I've also used Submittable to create a platform for submissions. Finding one's way through the layout isn't quite as intuitive as one might hope, but the customer service staff is excellent and answered any of my questions right away.

Response from Submittable

Thanks for your comments, Autumn. Our Customer Success team takes great pride in helping partners get started. Please feel free to send us any suggestions you have for improving the layout--we're always updating.

Donna T.
Company size: Self Employed

Submittable makes life easier. As an independent literary organization, we find value in this tool.

We save time.

Pros

What we like most about Submittable is that it allows us to manage submissions more efficiently. I'm not a fan of documents and tasks "living in email." Having a robust product like Submittable saves us time in reading and replying, as well as offering a way to capture and analyze submission data. I cannot imagine handling hundreds of submissions at a time via email, especially with a large reading panel. The built-in tools, such as sorting, labels, varying permission levels, templates, etc. allow us to customize it for our needs. I should add that any time we had a question, customer service responded right away, sometimes within minutes. Even over holidays. What did we do before Submittable? Seriously! What. Did. We. Do?

Cons

There aren't any major cons with Submittable. I'd love some more robust reporting and sorting features and maybe custom permission levels, as there are a few things I'd like to do, but cannot. For example, I'd love to see team member data by specific category, not just by a duration of time. But these are more feature ideas, nothing that I'd consider negative about the existing product. If I had to say one thing, since our reading panel (the ones who use the software) has a varying level of comfort with tech tools that maybe some of the icons could be more intuitive.

Micah B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 2017/04/17

I seriously don't know how we functioned before having Submittable. We host festivals throughout the country bringing together art, music and wellness. This requires having submission forms for all 3, plus a number of others, including an Art Auction. Submittable became the solution that we didn't even know we needed. The Art Auction is just the latest example of something that we have done in the past but finally realized Submittable was the best method.

But it was their customer support that was the key. It was through discussing our needs with them that we were able to go forward. As we began using the system, they were always there to answer questions, provide an answer and take our feedback, which then resulted in changes that made for a better experience.

I find that they are still just an email away. This is rare, but is why I am here writing this now. As the Technical Director for O+, I am always looking for that technological answer, but I am also always weary as often new tech can go unused, can be un-user-friendly, can be daunting to learn, etc. which then makes it actually the wrong answer. Submittable is maybe the best example I can give to how tech can really be just the right thing.

Thank you.

Pros

Easy to use, and can be used very broadly. Great customer service. Great design. Feature rich.

Cons

Managing other users and exporting info can be better.

Olivia T.

The website and software is easy to use, reliable, and convenient.

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Pros

Ease of use on many levels. It streamlines an administrative process that could take endless hours. The software is not automated (and it shouldn't be), but there are enough templates and options to make the process of managing submissions very efficient.

Cons

The navigation menus are not intuitive. It takes too long to figure out where things are hidden. Having sub-menus would help. Also, inactive team members still show up when assigning. The editorial team of this journal changes every year and there are too many names. We don't want to delete past editors, but archiving them when they are inactive would be an improvement.

Tj T.

Easy submissions

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Being to able to track the progress of multiple submissions is worth the cost.

Pros

Tracking the progress of my submissions is amazing. Everything is there and I don't have to chart it on a separate document.

Cons

The existential angst of a submission "in progress."

Amy S.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Submittable has been a lifesaver for our photo competition!

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Enabled me to administer an international photo competition virtually on my own.

Pros

I appreciate the back-end tools that allow so much flexibility for reviews, judging, and organizing. Not only can I easily sort entries and entrants, I can download all their data for reporting and further contact. And the pricing structure allows me to use the software only when I need it, but still have access to all the archived data and photos.

Cons

I used the Gallery View feature for the first time last year and would like to see continued improvement in its user interface. Opening a new account is a barrier to lots of users, and I'd like to see it simplified so more people will participate in voting.