Ninox Reviews

Ninox

Create custom business apps for your team!

4.8/5 (105 reviews)
James S.

Full featured and friendly

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

I was searching to replace my mobile -- but very much showing it's age -- HanDBase. I was also long time proponent of the Helix database on the Mac which was becoming less friendly and not easily mobile. I needed to put a structure in place for my new business. My requirements were: Mac friendly, multi-platform, and mobile. I found Ninox on v1 and worked through the learning curve. Today, Ninox v2.4 gives me a central point to coordinate the activities, common data of all my cloud based processes including: QuickBooks Online, G-Suites for Business, MailChimp, RingCentral, and Asana. I can hardly wait till v2.5 to see what else I can do to make my business easier.

Pros

Flexibility is a huge part of the Ninox platform. Ninox has the power of a multi-relation, multi-platform, mobile, scriptable database. And it can also be an easy no-scripting data gathering tool. As a small business owner, my needs develop on a daily basis. Ninox is my secret weapon to managing them in-house. When I need an ad-hoc tool to evaluate , template, and organize lists or piles of data... Ninox. When I want to take that ad-hoc tool and turn it into a multi-user process...Ninox.

Cons

Steep structural learning curve. My experience with database systems began with D-Base4 on DOS. All of my previous databases were predicated on the idea that the record is not created until it is "entered". A Ninox record is entered when it is created. Adding data to it is an update. Here me know and believe me later... there is massive power in this approach. I was also concerned that my users would have problems understanding this, none of them have ever noticed. In this age of instant entry and not-saving, they think it is normal.

Bill A.

I am quite satisfied with Ninox, with its ready-to-go interface, sync ability, and its web access.

Reviewed on 2018/05/03

Pros

I simply like that the databases are essentially ready to use. As a longtime user of FileMaker Pro, I did tire of the too-simplistic interface of a new database (I avoided modifying templates--often more work) that required building up of numerous forms to get going (I still have a lot of raw looking FMP databases meaning ugly as I was not willing to put the time into making it look good. With Ninox, the standard database looks good, and the other forms also are all ready and easy to build, which I appreciate. The focus is on the data, as the bulk of interface work is complete.

Also, FMP has a cost for the web interface and syncing across devices, and Ninox makes it all so easy--this is greatly appreciated.

I have nearly completed an FMP to Ninox switch for my databases; the clincher for me was yet another FMP update requiring great cost, and my old version was no longer cleanly workable with the new OSX update (constant crashing and loss of data entry or import), and Ninox seemed as has been a more efficient use of my dollars for a database.

Cons

I wish there were constant or global fields allowed. As a college teacher, I import test results, and the first page is usually the answers, which I have to enter each result for the 25 questions and then "Update Multiple Records", and then "Assign Constant Value", but that is just a workaround fix, as the results are simply added to each record. If I have a student taking a late test (a regular occurrence), I have to then re-enter the answers and assign constant value again because it's not a global or constant field. If I am missing something, let me know.

Building calculations can be cumbersome with the many clicks across tabs to access the part you need; once I figure it out the pattern though I do switch to the text interface, and I'm glad that that's there.

Wishful thinking: I would love there to be a map interface (I use this for data from archaeological sites and location-specific data from interviews with indigenous elders and community members). Currently, I log UTM coordinates (Northing, Easting, Elevation) or Lat/Long, but I have to export those to see the distributions. A throw to a Google Maps screen or other interfaces would be quite neat and time-saving and useful for data analysis. I imagine others would like to see something similar for mapping locations using customer address fields or showing all customers throughout the country or something.

Bastian L.

Ninox is an absolute boost for everyone with a small business and even more than a simple database.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

Pros

It is an absolutely easy to use software for every kind of business, company, club or private use. With the powerful possibility given by the easy formula building blocks you can do almost everything with ninox. It rightly has customers like medical companies, industrial facilities, football clubs, photographers and a lot more. For my own business (wedding photographer) ninox do everything what I need. It saves all my customers, reminds me of important appointments, creates forms for all my correspondence, for my contracts, for the return of tax for the finance office, let me do my financial statement, gives me information about my year-end closing, scan barcodes, print labels, calculate the amount of customer orders, saves scans like model releases and bills and much more. Almost everything beneath the photography and image processing work is done with ninox.

With a really small amount of knowledge of "if then else" and general formula functionality you can find your own way to do whatever you like to. And if you get stuck, the ninox support is really fast, friendly and helpful. That makes ninox the perfect software for my whole small business.

Cons

I really needed a long time to find something about ninox that is worth to criticize. The start screen is not a beauty at all, but that's the smallest amount you work with. The most work to do is done in the single charts. So, what can I say what do I not like...phew...the printing layout is a little bit elaborately to copy to other printing forms. But ninox works already on this case.

Julian B.

Fantastic experience - Great software and amazing customer service

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Pros

The software itself is great, it's very easy to get going with your own database and set it up suited to your needs.

However the real value for me has been the customer service and support. Ninox seem aware that to get the most out of their software, users may have to delve into the more technical aspects of databasing which can be pretty obscure if you're not familiar with it.

Fortunately their staff was amazing at helping me implement exactly what I needed through online one on one support and webcasts, not only that my correspondence was mainly with one member of their team so it wasn't a different or random person each time - this is very much appreciated, and helps when you have to go over the specifics of your needs and business.

Cons

There aren't really any "Cons" as such, as to be honest, I've had a near perfect experience. The only thing I would possible recommend is expanding the online documentation and reference to include useful or commonly used bits of code and formulas. It's worth noting that they already do this, as well as provide a number of templates for different kinds of databases, but it would be cool if there was a bit more in the way of examples and snippets.

I use the program Max/MSP by Cycling74 and their documentation of their code come as actual working patches which you can copy into your own patch, as well as there being a vibrant online community with people sharing their own patches etc. This way it's quite easy to get something working by piecing bits and pieces together before learning the entire syntax. I'd love to see some sort of central repository for commonly used formulas and ideas such as this for Ninox.

Guido E.

Since I found the software, my way of thinking has changed, I think it's great, it has given me the

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

I was able to organize my activities much more easily and logically. I have turned this application into my favorite application, I use it every day to develop my company's processes and generate data from my conventional practice. Since I started using it, there have been many changes that I consider very useful. I hope you continue to develop successfully this great tool that changed my life.

Pros

Its ease of use, its simplicity, versatility, processing speed, is really friendly. I liked the new capabilities with the new version of IOS 11.0. They are always improving it, it is also very stable. I am very happy with the product.

Cons

I would like to have more capacity to display information in the columns in the impressions area
Better integration with the calendar and that you could see more information from the calendar and incorporate alerts such as icons and colors for example.
To be able to establish a timeline
Improve document printing features

Dave A.

I use Ninox to manage a house concert series that we host.

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Time and peace of mind. By using Ninox to manage my house concert series, I eliminate two spreadsheets and the worries about messing up the format in either of them. I spend less time doing more -- great value for a small spend.

Pros

It's a quick and simple tool to learn. It synchs (almost) seamlessly across two Mac computers, my iphone and my ipad. And when I get stuck on how to do something, Ninox' customer support team (though 7 time zones away) are really responsive and helpful.

Cons

The documentation leaves alot to be desired, particularly their scripting language. The tool is very simple to use and intuitive, but when you get to a point where you're creating custom fields, filters and rules, you have to know the Ninox scripting language, and that's where the documentation could use a little improvement. I'm not a programmer by trade, and the documentation seems to assume that users are.

Once you understand the design concept behind Ninox, you will be amazed at what you can do.

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

(1) Able to quickly prototype enterprise-wide solutions. (2) Able to build production-quality data management and executive information systems quickly. (3) Able to manage enormous amounts of data with very quick processing and query turn-around.

Pros

Incredibly powerful. Amazing tech support. The feature set and functional capabilities of Ninox are the industry standard. Have used this platform to build entire ERP, CRM and HR Management systems for multi-billion dollar companies at a fraction of cost and time required by other solutions.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve. Ninox is not a "traditional" relational database management system... It is, in fact, much more. Was the best when I started using it two years ago and nothing even comes close today.

Gabi A.

Worth the price, customizable and excellent support

Reviewed on 2018/08/31

Allowed me to grown my business without spending a lot of money.
Customize all the proceed at your own will never pay the price.
Frankly recommended !

Pros

Continuous improvements.
Easy to program and user friendly
Not expensive in front other softs.
iCloud Team work is amazing and reliability is on top.
great bunch of field types
Incredible support

Cons

Bulk data relationship between tables
Formulary view needs to improve.
User friendly programing by drag and drop needs more options actually only accesible by code typing
Printing layout can be more sophisticated

Martin S.

As an inexperienced database user, I find it quite easy setup. Just wish there were more tutorials

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

Team integration and updating of data. Also being able to access remotely the latest information held in the database.

It also enables us to maintain an overview of all the latest projects that we have going.

Pros

Relative ease of use, but most of all the cloud integration and having several people able to access and update it at the same time. I also like the fact its on a secure platform, removing a data protection issue from our office.

Cons

Trying to get to grips on how to integrate formulas, I also wish there was more flexibility with the Calendar, we have 90 odd consultants and when we put all of their project dates in its more or less unusable as a graphical representation of their busy and free periods.

Joelle C.

Ninox is an awesome app making app for business

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

I have been using this product for more than a month every day for my dog care business. The Ninox app looks simple but is, in fact, a very powerful tool to create a complete database. For business, the cloud-based storage gives you seamless cooperation between users. In addition to that, update in coding and field modification is done live, affecting all user instantly, a great thing for small business growing fast and needing to adjust without making heavy updates.
Client support is awesome. They answered all my question the next day (considering the time zone!)
I work with multiple tables from client information to reservation then invoices. All of that is linked together in a way I can save time and find the information very fast! If you knew Bento from Apple, you'll love Ninox! If you didn't know Bento, then you'll love Ninox too!

Cons

Some features are missing, but are in plans to be on the next version. Those are quite cased specific features, so you may not need them depending on your needs. But seeing how they take care of their product and clients I'm sure their next version will amazing!!

Luis P.

Great to manage your business

Reviewed on 2017/10/27

I can manage my language school easily with this product. I manage students, monthly payments, invoices, book sales, receipts, taxes, debts, etc.

Pros

I love how easy it is to create a database which is customised to your own needs. Also, it is great to be able to modify, add or remove any feature you want in just a few clicks. It's really easy to do so without being IT savvy.

Cons

The only thing I could mention is that there are still functions which I'd like it to have. For example, it would be great to be able to send attached pdf documents over email (as in click a button and have the document attached to an email which is ready to be sent). Hope they add this in the future.

Martin L.

Jumped to Ninox from Filemaker Pro - Best Move EVER!

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

Pros

Excellent, friendly customer support is my favorite feature of Ninox. These guys love their product and listen to their customers. They are very quick to respond to questions and have helped me add features to my database that I couldn't figure out.

With the templates they offer and the tutorial videos they have posted on YouTube, anyone can understand the basics of how Ninox works.

Cons

The interface is not the prettiest and can only be modified to a certain point. I can't wait to see v.3, because that is when software hits it's stride.

Alejandro J.

NINOX, Fantastic application you need NINOX!!!

Reviewed on 2018/07/05

You can manage all your information and Team from Ninox in real time, no need use Excell.

Pros

You can organize your data and maintain actualized and all your team have the info.
The system its very stable you can trust in NINOX and your team. The Support is excellent.

Cons

Nothing!!! You only need think in your needs and make your database. Its fantastic NO CONS you can trust.

Easily made a database tailored to my needs

Reviewed on 2018/02/09

Pros

The program was very easy to use and flexible. I searched several programs that did not give me the flexibility that Ninox did. I combined several databases into one, easy to use database and am able to run reports that are meaningful to my practice. It is also cloud based, so I can access it on my phone and on the iPad.

Cons

The update took away the easy edit tool, so I can't figure out how to change my database anymore. Luckily, I don't think I need to make any major changes anymore. Initially, it took a while to get used to, but some of the updates have made it easier to navigate and get the information that I want in a report format that is easy to read.

Scott P.

Easy to use no programing required fast support

Reviewed on 2017/11/10

Helps me run my business and to keep records all in one place and access anywhere

Pros

I have no background in databases but this program is easy to use no technical programing needed product is easy to set up and use daily i keep track of all of my online students using this database and the cloud feature is super fast try it out you will not be disapointed

Cons

None so far wish the reports were easier to use wish they could be broken down by week months or days not easy to customize on the PDF side however downloading the CSV is ok

Easy to build and use database.

Reviewed on 2017/10/11

Getting my work faster en better done.

Pros

Easy to build powerful applications for every day use.
The software is quick and very scalable.
Frequent updates with new features.
I moved from Filemaker Pro to Ninox.
I rebuild my invoice system in Ninox in a couple of days.
The Filemaker version took weeks to build.

Cons

I like to have multiple databases open on the same time.
This is at this point only possible with the web version.
Developers told me it's coming in one of the next releases.

Gabi A.

Dynamism is a must in the bussiness world today, Ninox makes you grow !

Is making grow our Bussines and work with Teams on-line

Pros

Easy of use and programming, best support ever ! Rough and strong database, sync and cloud work for Teams. Really good iPad app.

Cons

User interface in the forms could be more attractive and functional, CRM integration under development. Tables relationships are not bi-directional.

Tom S.

Easy enough to do complicate task

Reviewed on 2017/10/11

Easy to build forms for relational database, good trigger model.
The best support since a long time.

Pros

Nice UI, very good sync with the Cloud, good manual. Very usefull to build Customer database to collect complex Data.

Cons

Pure codeeditor should be improved, less errormessages and sometimes a Little Bit complicate Syntax for the indecies.

Paco M.

Pure efficiency

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

Our experience with Ninox has been positive without exception. We can now unite all our previous distributed applications in a uniform system that is accessible to all employees.

Pros

The best thing about Ninox is the simplicity with which you can create business applications. With the existing templates, you can quickly create solutions tailored to your needs, even without database knowledge.

Cons

The Ninox surface could be a bit more modern, but according to Ninox this will be realized soon.

Thomas B.

Excellent SME Database Tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/03

I chose Ninox in order to allow both Windows and Mac users to work from the same system with ease, and have not looked back.

Pros

Ninox is cross platform by nature, so Mac and Windows users can easily collaborate on the same database.
It is entirely mobile with pre-built Apps for iOS and so you can use the full database wherever you are.
It is intuitive to build in and if you have any challenges, the support team is excellent.

Cons

Ideally, it would be good to be able to add Forms in order to create a landing page, but I know this is in development.
Beyond that, the ability to customise fonts/colours etc is probably the next stage.

Dario B.

It is great, multiuser, easy to customize. Infinite possibility to use it and programme it everywher

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

Ninox gave me the possibility to manage a professional multiuser db without loosing time for analysis and customizing. It is immediate in daily customizing and for a small company like mine it can be a winning opportunity.

Pros

Ninox gave me the possibility to have a professional database, tailor-made for my company needs and daily upgradable on my own.

Cons

Probably an Italian language guide and/or the possibility to partecipate at some class would be appreciate for me that do not know programming and db management.

Brad E.

Love the product and the easy use of making my own application!

Reviewed on 2017/10/11

We use it every day for keeping records for our spray work. Maps, Chemcial lists, mixing ratios, log hours on helicopters and planes.

Pros

The ability to customize almost every part of the program. From start to print view.
The added signature field is nice so that we can have security in agreeing with our customers to save them and us from legal issues.

Cons

Maybe a little better user interface. More style to the look of the program.
Little better design controls in print view.

Kerstin L.

User experience second to none

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

Making workload easier to sort and quicker to get through

Pros

There are so many positives
Support - customer service agents are available and extremely helpful if there is a glitch or just a tweak needed
Easy to set up exactly what I need without any prior knowledge. Learning all the time how the different elements work together.
Time-saving because it is so logical
I now have all my various sections to hand, be it the contact database, the invoicing or the endless to-do lists it all flows together beautifully.
It feels like I am part of the dynamic development of the software.

Sam W.

Awesome app...with great flexibility

Reviewed on 2018/04/26

Pros

The support is great!
The software is adaptable to my needs.
The data is easily imported and exported in several file formats

Cons

1)The inability to send invoices with a template message.
2)Color and font options for field names might add a better form like feel and appearance.

Terri L.

Ninox

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

It is great for keeping track of details for my customer base, accounting, etc.

Pros

Ease of use and with the help of their partner company, Ninoxus, it is a great value and user friendly

Cons

I did need a jump start on some minor issues but the helper company, Ninoxus, was extremely helpful.