Brilliant Directories

All-in-one directory & member management software

4,7
4,7
4,6
4,5
4,8
Nick B.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Love it for two big reasons!

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

Loving it and loved the service. Super quick and responsive service.

Pros

There were two reasons I bought Brilliant Directories within hours of discovering it!

Firstly, the software itself was far better than any other directory I had found by far (including the horrible experience of trying to build one on Wordpress with ListingPro).

Secondly, the service. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]called me within minutes of my inquiry and patiently walked me through the platform. She was super clear and very helpful and I "walked" away with 3 licenses!

Cons

Nothing yet - I am still building it but it's clear to me that is is excellent.

Steve C.

These guys are truly passionate about letting normal people own productive and customisable websites

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

I managed to create a website which allows me to work from home and make some extra money to help with the bills. I created a top-notch website with no knowledge of programming or coding, thanks to the great work done behind the scenes by everyone involved with Brilliant Directories. They are truly passionate about their work, and it shows.

Pros

My previous website built by another company started falling to pieces due to the fact that the programmers wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for every comma or full stop I needed to add. I could not do any alterations myself, even though they had promised that I would own the code. In the end, I lost all my google rankings and it became ineffective. I was about to lose all my members and 3 years of hard work.
I am so glad that after some research, I found this great company who ticked all the boxes of my requirements.
First, I wanted to be able to customise all the site pages. Not just the design features. I needed to be able to create new customised pages, in order to allow me to develop my original concept. As well, I wanted this flexibility to be able to keep the website relevant as time went by.
Secondly, I wanted to have a support team which is expert and dedicated to this site. The main clincher is that the support is included for free with the package you buy, and not charged separately for every minor issue one will invariably encounter along the way. The exception to this is when you need to do some major changes which will affect the whole system. The job you require is quoted by select programmers, who do a great job.
The forte of brilliant directories is their amazing documentation, video tutorials and the Webinar Wednesdays. Go through these and you can learn how to manage your site inside and out. They hold nothing back. Cannot thank them enough.

Cons

Even though Brilliant Directories offer website templates for most types of businesses, varying from Yellow pages type, to Real Estate to Events to Jobs, if you have a website concept that doesn't fit exactly into a template, then you need to do some customisation. For this you need to pay extra.
The learning curve increases the more different your concept varies from the templates. There are so many possibilities with this software, that you can never really master it all, especially if you have no coding knowledge like myself.
However, considering the low entry fee, and that most businesses are covered by the templates, then the chance of any major software customisation you might need are minimal. Anyway, to their credit, they are constantly updating the basic structure with new functions and this is decreasing the need of customisation.

Doris F.

Brilliant and Caring!!!!

Reviewed on 2016/11/04

I'm grateful that I found brilliant directories, the fact that the support team is so patient, understanding, and eager to help my business grow is amazing. I feel like I not only found a great product, but I'm a part of a business family that's down to earth, and genuinely want my business to be successful. I'll never forget what Jason did for me, for anyone to take the time to give valuable help and advice at no cost says a lot to me about that person's character. I'm just so thankful to have found a company that's not all about just making a quick buck off of you, but that really wants to see your business succeed. Thank you so much Jason, and the entire support team, you guys are AWESOME!!!!!

Pros

I like most about this product is the ease of the video tutorials, and the prompt response from the support teams, they really helped me set up my directory with minimal stress.

Cons

I don't like that I'm not able to understand the development side of the software. Things that I'd like to implement into my site I'm not able to, because I don't know how to read codes, and scripts.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Doris. We can't thank you enough for your amazing feedback. We're thrilled that you've been successful with the software.

Regarding the major customizations that may require some coding, we hear your complaints. This is our development teams number one priority at the moment. We truly do appreciate your honest review. It's what helps us continue to improve the software for our amazing users like yourself :)

Paul W.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

The only Directory platform you'll want or need...

Reviewed on 2016/07/21

I wanted to open an online directory and did my research online. I didn't have alot of money or time and wanted something easy to setup without hours and dollars spent customising as i'm a perfectionist.

Enter BrilliantDirectories.com

I paid their comparatively tiny fee and placed the directory theme on my domain. The default theme is good but the ability to edit it is very easy so I spent a while changing the theme to my liking.

The SEO,features and everything required to run an online directory are included and I imported some businesses very easily. Note , their admin shows a 10GB LIMIT but this can be ignored , I went over the limit of data but BD allow this so there are no limitations when using BrilliantDirectories.

The site is currently live at PURELOCAL.com.au and it is great.

I highly suggest purchasing the lifetime licence , 1 domain lifetime licence is what I got but am considering spending a little more to get lifetime licences for 5 domains. Their server appears to have constant uptime and all server/ftp/etc edits can be done including htaccess , gzip , ssl , security , optimisation , etc.

There is 1 other service offering the same .. service..which I viewed online but their default themes were ugly and their prices higher.

In terms of support with your BD site - they have an online forum and ticket system which will answer your questions within 1-2 days. Because they are popular they answer alot of support tickets therefore I wouldn't demand an immediate answer as your request takes 1-2 days to investigate and aptly respond to. All you need to perfect or edit the design of your BD store is a mediocre knowledge of CSS - but if you're not computer savvy at all , you'll still be able to run your own great looking online directory...

I'm rating BrilliantDirectories a 4.9/5 ... if you're a user of BD and require my help with something , please contact me through PURELOCAL AUSTRALIA.

All the best and best of luck with your BD site!

PAUL

Pros

AFFORDABLE
EASY TO USE
NO COMPETITION
GOOD TECHNICAL SUPPORT
HIGH QUALITY TEMPLATES
GOOD SEO
RELIABLE SERVERS
ALL BASES COVERED
HIGHLY CUSTOMISABLE

Cons

NO CONS THAT COME TO MIND

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the stunning review - we're glad your directory has taken off without a hitch!

We understand how important good tech support is to our customers. We typically respond to tickets within 1 business day, though we do appreciate your understanding if it takes slightly longer.

Our team is always just a click away to help make your dream website a reality. Cheers!

Susan F.

Confused by support emails and options

Reviewed on 2015/05/19

Have been getting regular emails about support. One that arrived the other day said would cost $2000. to set up my website, and want to know, how much of a setup is that?

Will you find an appropriate template?
Set colors?
Upload my logo?

Discuss with me and set options for membership levels?

Discuss with me and upload categories from plan?

Can you send me any links from websites you did the setup and they went live?

In addition I recall asking for basic training but no one got back to me about a time to set that up. Instead I got an email to complete to get developer bids. Seems like I'm responding to your emails request for response, and not sure if anyone is actually reading them and responding... which leaves me confused.

Hiring a developer may be too expensive for me. The other day I responded to one of your emails and attached the startup plan excel document and you said you could set up my website for $200. if that includes colorizing, choosing a template that will shine, communicating with me so categories and membership levels are good, my logo is uploaded and looking good on background and my site looks professional, and is truly ready to go... ready to sell... ready to use to look up local restaurants, etc. Great! Bottomline is if you can get me up and going, looking and working good for $200., will use my logo, and discuss with me how to manage the site, I would love to move ahead and do that, and want to know how to get that clarified and move forward. Right now I'm confused as to how to find out more details about the levels of support, what I really get (such as I have a domain at godaddy or hostgator so how does that work?), and seems when I do respond to your emails for support -- like I thought I booked a getting started session request -- yet no one got back to me with a response about actually setting up the training time. So am confused and want to forge ahead... otherwise... love you folks :)

Thanks!

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your message. We are always happy to help - especially if this is your first directory website with us.

99% of users can start customizing their sites with colors, images, text, membership levels and more after watching some of the GETTING STARTED video guides.

Here's a link to find some easy video guides to show you how to set up all the aspects of your directory website.

The first video is "WELCOME TO BRILLIANT DIRECTORIES":

It shows first-time users some of the most basic features of the software. As always, please feel free to browse our Knowledge Base and join discussions in the community forums here:

We wish you great success with your directory website. Help is just a click away!

- Brilliant Directories

Faruk B.

Out of the box directory business model

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

The fact that I can test my business model is very good. I was able to quickly get a directory site up and working while I was planning other aspects of my business like the marketing etc...

Pros

With Brilliant Directories, it's very easy to get a directory business up running very quickly. It has so many templates to choose from to suit your business needs.

There are so many ways you can customize your site. From the colors to fonts etc... Also, I believe that its very SEO friendly for not just me the admin but other businesses who list their business on the site.

Looks very professional.

Cons

Few things I don't like.

1. Brilliant Directories hosts your websites for you. I would've liked to host my sites on my own servers.

2. Some of the VIP add-ons could've been given on the frontend for free. Just simple things like social logins should've been free.

4. Businesses can't seem to create their own categories. We the admin of the site have to create these. Would so much better if the businesses created the categories & sub-categories and these get added to the search functionality.

3. Nothing to help retain your users. Something like a built-in customer loyalty program would be really helpful to keep users coming back.

Ken G.
Industry: Education Management

Very Useful Platform for a Directory Startup

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

We could never have gotten our directory up and running with Brilliant Directories, or something like it.

Pros

Brilliant Directories offers all of the features that any directory needs. It's easy to add options such as: coupons, photos, videos, and blogs, as well as different membership levels. Importing and exporting data is also quite simple.

Cons

By necessity, this software is quite complex. This isn't a flaw - it's just the way a quality directory is. It takes time to learn everything that you need to know to get a directory up and running. Consequently, I recommend starting out with a very specific market niche, and a limited number of features. "Bells and whistles" can later be introduced as upgrades.

Karen P.

surprised at how easy the setup took

Reviewed on 2018/05/18

Pros

Great designs. LOTS of features built in - very surprised at this. Any time I email in, there seems to be a setting or option for just about anything. The videos helped me starting out. It took about an hour to go through them but glad I did. The main reason I chose this was because of the lead selling capabilities. I'm selling leads to my members and this platform does that best.

Cons

In my first few days I had to email support a lot with questions. But they were quick to respond. The price is a little high but after working with two other platforms... you get what you pay for. There is enough value to justify the price now that I know how it works.

Martin F.

What made me choose Brilliant Directories

Reviewed on 2016/06/25

Having spent a lot of time researching a wide range of directory systems, based on both wordpress and others, we initially started our project using a wordpress solution.
We quickly discovered though that we needed a multitude of different plugins to achieve what we wanted - and with that came our big learning curve. Trying to get them to work together whilst building the site became difficult to say the least.
This led us back to Brilliant Directories and a much deeper look at their solution and features.
After signing up for and 'attending' one of their webinars our decision was easy and we switched our project to Brilliant Directories, something we are very confident will be proved to be the right decision.

Pros

Everything under one roof, including hosting.
Outstanding range of features, but still with option to heavily customise.
Very good customer service and a good user support network.

Cons

Cost can be high initially, but there are good offers which makes the decision much clearer.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Martin!

We're so glad that our all-in-one solution was the perfect fit for you. Hope to see you in more of our future webinars!

Erin M.

Launched my directory in minutes

Reviewed on 2013/02/20

I recommend requesting a demonstration with Matt so he can show you exactly how the software works and how it will automate your business so you can focus on marketing and selling. They have so many amazing built in features that you have to see to believe. They also have marketing and web design services you can resell to your members in addition to making money on the listings and selling of leads.

Pros

Matt and Jason are rockstars. I signed up with them and by the very next day my business directory for notary agents was online. I then uploaded my list of contacts and used their schedule email feature to invite them. Within 2 months I have had over 100 paying members sign up and now my directory is profitable. My members use the system to invite their friends to recommend their businesses. When I google any name in my directory, my website appears on the first page of google results. Loving it!

Cons

No cons just yet. I am very happy thus far and I am working to launch a few more directories. Fingers crossed.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thank you Erin for your kind response. We value our business together and look forward to developing more directories for your niche ideas.

Warm regards,

The Brilliant Directories Team

Christopher T.

Kudos to Dennis Tinerino

Reviewed on 2017/02/02

I worked with one of the cusutomer support representative on getting my company set up with Brilliant Directories and the experience was great. He explained the product and services well and kept me informed on new developments, opportunities and news, which helped me to make an informed decision to join. I have not fully dived off into this system and setting up my site but there were an adequate amount of tutorials and information provided to walk me through each process to ensure success so I'm confident that I should not have any issues moving forward with Brilliant Directories. Support has been great thus far and by that measure I'm anticipating continued great customer service and support. Thanks guys!!

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thanks for the feedback, Christopher! We understand how valuable video tutorials can be and how much easier they are to follow than outdated text documents. This is why we put a lot of time and effort into producing quality video tutorials to hep users like yourself quickly set up your website. So glad Dennis was able to help you out and provide you with some valuable info! Thanks again!

Jeremy D.

The All-In-One Directory Solution

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

My experience started off rough but has now improved. Initially, I was frustrated as we started to build the site. Trying to keep costs down, it felt like we were being nickeled and dimed when we needed extra plug-ins to make the site do what we wanted. This and the steep learning curve delayed our launch and our ability to get paying customers. Once we did launch and got our first few paying customers this all seemed like no big deal. I feel like the onboarding could be improved, but once we were up and rolling the experience has been consistently good.

Pros

Using a software this focused on directories means they know what the market needs, even before we do.

Cons

I feel the system is harder than necessary to customize. I'm pretty techy but still had to hire a developer to create some components that we wanted.

Paul P.
Industry: Real Estate

Adding second directory

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/01/12

Good, The support staff helped me out and honored the 2 for 1 deal I signed up for back in April 2015.
When I went to the dashboard, I did find it annoying not to find the Admin Account easily so I could change my temporary password. I think I found it eventually in the support page. Not sure why it is not in an obvious place on the dashboard.

Pros

So much is in place and ready for me to fill in the blanks.

Cons

Seemed like multiple layers. with dashboard then the CP panel. Just need to learn how it all works I guess and then it will be clearer to work with.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Paul. Thanks so much for your suggestion to place a link to the admin password settings in the dashboard - I'll bring this up in our team meeting tomorrow! But it's directly accessible from Settings > Admin Settings. In there you can change the password for your admin account. Regarding cPanel, though you do have complete access to it, you should never really find yourself needing to access it. You should be able to manage every aspect of your website directly from the dashboard. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Michael T.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Excellent experience! All of my questions were answered and the staff was eager to learn my needs.

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

Ease of use for the front end user

Pros

The ease of use on the front end where the actual users will be. Everything is easy to find and is presented very professionally. Your image is set apart from others just by using this software. I also like the willingness of the staff to get me in touch with a preferred coder that knows the system for all of my custom design needs.

Cons

Coming from Wordpress and not knowing a lot of coding skills it will be a learning curve using a whole new platform. But like anything the more time you spend with the software the easier it will get.

Daniel T.

This is simply a business in a box and ready to go!

Reviewed on 2015/08/17

I have spent months reviewing all the softwares here on Capterra and many other forums and have have so much feedback to share about them all. I particularly choose Brilliant Directories first because to review because they were the most pleasant to deal with and got in touch with me right away and answered dozens of my questions day after day. I spoke to their competitors and they actually bashed them and were more interested in a sale rather than my needs. Brilliant Directories gives you everything you need for one price and it's ready to go right away. Other softwares I reviewed prior to my Brilliant Directories purchase took a long time to set up and they all require developers and paid hosting and no support. Being able to contact a company and get an answer in a timely manner means the world to me, and Brilliant Directories has certainly done that every time I contacted them. My site was setup by me in a just a few days with zero programming and all i did was watch the videos to set everything up and got included training on topics i got stuck on. I definitely recommend these guys to anyone who wants to get launched and online very quickly without any headaches and wants a smooth and clean design. Thank you.

Nathan W.

Very happy with the service provided!!!

Reviewed on 2015/01/27

Generally i have been very satisfied with the level of service provided. I found that the site is not quite as 'simple' to configure/design as it was initially made out to be, but i am no expert in web design which may have something to do with it.
The level of ongoing support provided more than makes up for this, there is always great advice and ideas on the community section and my directory coach Warnner provides exceptional and prompt service, always happy to help no matter how big or small the issue may be.

The only suggestions i could make to improve the services is for the development team to look at and implement some of the ideas provided by people on the community more frequently as some are very good ideas, and the other disappointment was the initial shock to discover the costs for BD developers to add non-standard additions to the directory can be quite high, this was not made very clear when i first signed up, i thought additions would generally be included in the ongoing investment.

Overall very happy with the end result, the high level of ongoing support and outstanding customer service by the BD team, highly recommend their services!!

Ronan L.

Some of the features dont work

Reviewed on 2014/03/06

Signed up for the elite package with many of the features. Implementation has taken longer than expected. The functionality is mostly there but the knowledge database is poor (its there online help system) and several of the widgets don't work correctly (advised they only work on static pages so many instances where we cannot use them)
Overall they have been prompt and helpful but really need a comprehensive guide on how to edit the site.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Ronan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is always constructive and helpful.

The software does so much and we are always coming out with new features, so we understand the need for HELP documentation.

We are dedicating the following months to creating useful videos, FAQs, a community forum, as well as a more comprehensive learning center that will help users better navigate the software.

As always, our team is here to assist you with set up and answering any questions you may have. Thank you again for your feedback. This helps us improve our overall service and we will notify you as soon as more help documentation is available.

As always, feel free to email [email protected] for support. Thank you.

Robert W.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Brilliant Directories made the decision easy

Reviewed on 2017/03/20

The team at BD were very helpful during the whole decision making process. They answered all of our questions and were patient with us as we tried to determine whether BD would work for us in our search for a way to transition our 12 year directory website to something better. We are excited about being able to get upgraded technology and the ability to make simple changes without engaging a high cost web developer for every little thing. The help videos on a wide range of relevant subjects and the regularly scheduled webinars are very helpful. At first We were concerned that the features combined with the reasonable pricing looked like it was too good to be true but so far we have found that it is living up to the promises.

Pros

reasonable price, good support, upgraded bootstrap technology, ability to make changes easily.

Sunil R.
Industry: Online Media

Overall Good Experience Thus Far

Reviewed on 2017/02/21

It's been good. The customer service could be a little more timely. Customer support representative answered all my questions and was patient until I felt comfortable purchasing.

Pros

Basic site and functionality ready to deploy

Cons

Customization seems to be a bit of a challenge. Support could be an issue depending on your expectations.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Hi Sunil, this is great feedback for us! We do guarantee 1-business day response times from our support team. As far as a marketplace for plugins, we just recently began launching add-ons that provide additional functionality to your Brilliant Directories website. Check them out on our website! Thanks again!!

Matt H.

Awesome Software & Company

Reviewed on 2014/02/20

I spent close to 12 months of investigation into directory software that I would use to deploy my new directory. It came down to two systems, e-directory and brilliant directories. At first I was leaning toward e-directory as I could host the software myself. When it came down to a decision I fired up each demo side by side to see how the back end would work.

It turned out to be a two minute choice. Brilliant directories had all of the things I wanted and needed and the back end was clear.

Now that I have gone through the process and worked with the brilliant directories team, I have to say just how impressed I am with them. I worked with several people on the team very closely, Jason Haloos, Denis J. Tinerino and Patrick Brunelle.These hard working gentleman have made my directory a reality. I had certain custom requirements I needed added to my directory. I never felt they missed a beat. Jason is the co-founder and an amazing software designer. I absolutely know that I made the right choice hands down.

I am extremely impressed with the customer service and the quick turn around times.

Darren B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Best Directory Theme By A Mile!!!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2016/10/28

Searched online for many months before coming across Brilliant Directories. The overall layout and multiple options available for not only the directory owner, but more importantly their customers is unrivaled.
Also BD customer support is also outstanding.
It's great doing business with REAL professionals who are passionate about what they do.

Pros

Over all ease of use and the quickness you are able to make your directory site go live.

Cons

Honestly don't have any.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thanks for your feedback, Darren! Glad you're loving the software :)

Jason M.

Business Directory Software that Saved the Day

Reviewed on 2013/02/20

We did a lot of research for directory website software, we even lost a lot of money in the beginning with systems that were not as robust. We are more than pleased and highly recommend Brilliant Directories as an all-in-one directory and marketing system. You guys did an amazing job.

Pros

Brilliant Directories has helped our directory become more profitable. It is easy to use and the email marketing tools help us keep in touch with members. We love that our entire staff can work in the same system and that we don't really need any third party applications to run our business.

Cons

They have a lot of flexibility with their system but we would also like to be able to manage all our social media accounts from the system like we do in hootesuite.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your working with you and value our longstanding relationship.

Warm regards,

The Brilliant Directories Team

Rob K.

Could not be happier!

Reviewed on 2017/03/15

I was trying for so long to get my site built. There were so many different providers who tried & failed to give me what I wanted. Then I came across brilliant directories! They did it with ease.The support staff was really good at following me up, he was honest & knowledgable. My customer service agent was amazing, nothing was too hard for her to do, she was very friendly & helpful. The site is now exactly what I wanted. I really could not be happier!

Pros

It is so easy to use & very customizable. The fact they don't promote themselves on my site is a really good touch.

Cons

Nothing major, all of the things I couldn't do initially were sorted out by my onboarding team.

Rich U.

Overall of the best.

Reviewed on 2016/02/16

Pros:
-Great support staff
-Easy to get started
-I know it will be worth every penny once I complete the initial setup
-Much better than the competition: more features, better service, more expandable

Cons:
-More front end customization options would be great. There are items that do not seem to have much customization capability from the front end and require coding changes. *unless I am missing something in the admin panel
-I'd like to see more options for the listing profile template- renaming tabs, reordering what is seen first, etc.

Overall this is absolutely the best product of its kind. The Cons I listed are not necessarily negative, just things I would like to be quicker to alter and get running. Everything works as promised, the folks within the company are great and quite helpful. I'll be purchasing another directory site from Brilliant Directories the future

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thank you for the thorough review Rich. We're thrilled you've decided to join the Brilliant Directories family!

Kelly K.

Thanks for checking in!

Reviewed on 2016/01/19

The site came with premade widgets most of which look great. Please see below the one that is a problem. Looks like you misspelled Local Family Owned and for some reason spelled it Local family Owneds? I attempted to fix your mistake by watching the video "how to edit premade widgets" and it showed me exactly what to do which was open widget and edit text only problem is when I open to edit text all the wording is done in code?

YOUR PREMADE WIDGET:
bootstrap theme - member results - page title
Pizza in Bellingham, , United States
Bellingham, United States' Top Rated Pizza LFO = Local Family Owneds

Response from Brilliant Directories

Thanks for your feedback Kelly. We're excited to see that you have launched your website since submitting this review. Our support staff is always available to assist its customers with any issue that presents itself such as this one. Every Brilliant Directories customer gets unlimited ticket support, as well as full access to our solution center and community forum :)