TrueCoach Reviews

4.8/5 (152 reviews)
Ben P.

Constantly improving!

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

TrueCoach has made my business experience much improved. It has allowed me to do what I love to do, spend more time working with and developing programs for athletes. It beat the heck out of using spreadsheet after spreadsheet to create workouts, share information and trouble receiving the appropriate data from the client. The TrueCoach team is constantly listening to feedback with a goal of being the best training software available. I do highly recommend TrueCoach over the other platforms that I have seen.

Pros

The interaction between the client is one of my favorite qualities. It is now easy to upload unique videos that can be accompanied by videos or explicit detail. It is also now possible to download videos that the clients upload, making it easier to either share their success or anaylze on a platform better suited for this type of detail. Designing workouts is super easy, and the use of video demonstration is one of the favorite for clients. The other thing is, their team is constantly trying to improve the platform and make it the perfect blend for the coaches and athletes.

Cons

I use multiple screens and have to refresh each one each time in order to get my up to date changes. I once received a message and did not refresh a 3rd screen and it remained for several weeks after I read it and cleared it out of another screen. Retrieving past exercise history for some specific needed data is not super clean. You still have to filer through chronological date order to receive much of the information you might be looking for. Also when creating metric (repeatable workout information) sets, it's still a detailed process to go through all of the steps to get the workout information out to each client. It would be easiest if you could desing a workout, and then copy and past it, howerver you still have to write it in, but could copy and paste it as soon as you write it in for one client. There are other platforms that this is the case. This would make it easier if there were older workouts that turned out to be a really good measure of their fitness, however, it is not easy to go back through and find that data after the fact. Many other people from a coaching persepctive really want an app, but for me that is not as much of a priority.

Frank C.

Fit Bot to TrueCoach the app keeps getting better and...

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

Solving the problem of what did the client do 3 months ago in their program. Can take notes which any of the coaches I bring on later can see. Clients enjoy it and can use it without me having to use a slide show to explain to them how to use it.

Pros

Where to start? Well, I keep liking more and more about this software as the company keeps growing.I've been a user for 3 years plus. They keep adding more features, hosting webinars and other digital products that further develop me as a coach. The client side of the app looks and feels amazing! Honestly, it looks like I pay a lot for this software. Super easy to use, super easy to connect with clients through the app if you just do online coaching. They keep upgrading!! Oh, wait I said that already, well that's because it's a PRO! Once when I first started using it I had set up the wrong card and I called in on a Saturday, freaking out and the owner answered the phone, troubleshot the issue and because I didn't have the right card on me, did some TrueCoach magic and gave me a few days to set things right.

Cons

I've yet to find any, honestly, the team deals with bugs super quick and you have to consider the multiple device platforms the coaching side works on and with.

Ahh, I guess because I've yet to receive doughnuts in the mail for my loyalty?

The best option for individual fitness programming.

Reviewed on 2019/02/16

Our team loves TrueCoach. Other platforms I've used, especially in the functional fitness realm, can be limiting to certain types or styles of workouts. If I can dream it up, I can program it in TrueCoach.

TrueCoach has greatly opened up our ability to remote coach effectively. It allows us to have a higher level of communication and connection with our off-site AND on-site clients through its multiple touchpoints from workout results, to comments, to chat features.

Pros

Go beyond simply assigning sets and reps. The more freeform style of TrueCoach allows you to program more complex pieces and add nuance while still providing great organization of training cycles, weeks and individual workouts.

I would love to see where they can go with the metrics tracking but it's already come a long way in the two years I've been using the software. TC seems to really listen to the coaches using the platform and continue to upgrade and innovate to improve the efficiency and experience of programming workouts.

The addition of an iPhone app also greatly improved my client's experience by making it even easier to access workouts, communicate via message, access movement demo videos and smoothly upload their videos for me to review.

Cons

Rarely, but on occasion, the screen will freeze up and/or not save the workout I'm in as intended. If the internet connection isn't stellar this seems to happen quite a bit more. Most noticeable when traveling and using other wifi sources. I've gotten home from trips and had people ask if I really wanted them to do the same workout 3 times? It hadn't shown that way on my end but clearly kept re-saving which was obvious when logging back in later.

Response from TrueCoach

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are so thankful for them.

Kyle B.

TrueCoach: Truly Amazing!

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

The biggest benefit I've noticed is a time saver. From dealing with spreadsheets and emails in the past, I was always sifting back and forth trying to find and track information. TrueCoach has made that a breeze, so I can focus more on client service, rather than waste time.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it's made for coaches who not only LOVE to program exercise and training programs, but also want ease of use to quickly write programs to see progressions and client results. From the bench mark features, to 'exercise history' features, TrueCoach has it all.

I'm able to track any data I want on my clients and see their history with the assessments as well. The notifications work just like Facebook, so there's no confusion on notifications you've seen or not read. The video aspect is HUGE for me and my clients because I like my clients uploading their film of exercises. Through TrueCoach, I'm able to slow the video down, do a screen capture video, and send it right back to them with critiques and praise in a matter of minutes.

Cons

What I 'don't like' about the software was the transition from 'FitBot' to 'TrueCoach'. I think 'FitBot' was a more fitting name and told people what they were getting, but they wanted to rebrand and come out with an app. The app is knew and has some bugs, so I have my clients save the website on their home screen.

It acts better than the app (until improvements are made) and it's more user friendly. It's a growing pain that they'll get past, but it's a slight annoyance for now.

Charles L.

even trump couldn't create trump-bot

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

saved time
improved communication

Pros

multimedia playing is easy = we can create, share, upload, download videos so easily, communications with clients are easy. You guys are so quick to implement stuff. The ''print'' button took 5 days to be alive.

Cons

I always need to program on my comp and I notice my sight is getting poorer. Lol

That would be awesome to wanna see my clients day of training on the same page, so trainers on floor would be able, on a glance, to know who does what today walking around the gym. But that's really because this field can't be left blank. Also, maybe sharing workouts online on the socials would be cool.

I could tag my friend on FB or IG saying : hey bro! Look at my PR, my video, etc. Then you add your fitbot logo and you are all over the place. (I'll take 10% for the idea :P ), then those comments you appear in the comments sections of the socials AND Fitbot.

maybe sending automatic emails to clients that show up

maybe sync some info of Zen planner/other software with Fitbot ?!

maybe integrate a superslow to the video API?

Maybe add a dropbox feature in each client profile, so i could modify docs on the spot easily AND take photos in png format and do my consults follow ups.

maybe add a program design planification sheet option into each clients profile so we can get estimates of ''how long before client X increase X mvt/workout'' (if you need more info on that let me know I'll explain).

you guys are awesome.

Response from Fitbot

Thanks for the the review Charles. Glad to hear you enjoy the ability to print out your clients daily workouts! We appreciate your feedback and will work hard to keep improving the platform.

Matt S.

All virtual coaches will one day use Fitbot. Not a question of if, but when they choose to adopt.

Reviewed on 2017/06/06

Pros

My path in virtual coaching started entirely manual, adopting systems from several electronic formats like email and Drive. This process, which now looks archaic, resulted in an entire workday per week to catch up with non-automated tasks. These tasks ranged from sending workouts, collecting results, engaging in outreach, hunting down Youtube videos, etc. Fitbot slashed all of those manual process, I had to learn on the fly, and drafted them into an automated system. In summary, you could say my favorite aspect about Fitbot is the 'admin' work it does behind the scenes for me. I get to do more coaching, and less busy-work necessary to the management of clients.

Cons

The software is still in it's infancy, and I do not default that. Universally humans are striving for connectivity. Ironically in an age of immediate internet access globally, our race is as LEAST connected as ever. Fitbot does provide depth in the connection of client-to-coach. However, Fitbot is missing client-to-client interactions. In the system of OPEX, for example, our immediate goal is to reach 1,000 simultaneous clients in a virtual system. My challenge to Fitbot is creating echosystems where that volume of individuals can meaningfully connect with tribes of 50-150 people like them. They need to feel engaged with seeing others' results and progressions, not watered down with a potential never-ending stream of results.

Response from Fitbot

Thanks for the review Matt! We appreciate all of the feedback you've given us over the past few years. We've got some awesome new features in the works, can't wait to get them out in the wild!

Perrin B.

Review for TrueCoach

Reviewed on 2019/07/12

Overall, I've been extremely happy with TrueCoach and their customer service over the years. Communication has been improved over time as they've grown their team. Like I said previously, there have been some one-off issues in the past that disrupted my processes but were solved. After experimenting with similar software, nothing compares to TrueCoach.

Pros

TrueCoach has provided a tool for me to be able to better communicate with my clients. Before TrueCoach I would spend countless hours messing with spreadsheets, email, and text messages. Their platform has allowed me to streamline my process so I can communicate better and more efficiently. The company is constantly innovating and reaching out to their clients for feedback that drives their improvements.

Cons

Any software in its infancy will always have bugs and need improvements. Over the years there have been some issues that disabled usability or didn't allow me to access a feature at certain times. All in all, none of them have been a huge deal and they were eventually remediated.

I'd like is billing/payment processing ability, but I know that has been in the works for a while long and assume there are good reasons it doesn't exist yet.

The product works much better for individuals over teams. I'd love a platform where I could communicate with a team or group all at once vs solely in individual profiles. I.E. a chatroom or group similar to what exists on Facebook.

Marcus W.

Review of TrueCoach

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Apart from just making my job easier, TrueCoach for sure adds value both in selling a client but client retention. I am not really competing with another coach, I am competing with Netflix, Pelaton, and other visually appealing and ease of use mediums by which someone can easily get a workout for the 10th of what I charge.

Pros

All Clients in one place
Easily write workouts and have circuits distinct from one another visibly
Ability to comment on each section
Upload videos to each workout

Cons

I would like a video database. Say over a year a client uploads 50-100 videos. Instead of having to find them or download each one it would be great to just have a client video database, where I can see all the videos, and each also has a link that takes me to the workout it represents.

I want an app for the coach for writing workouts on the go. Fortunately, I live a very boring life and am always home so I can typically respond to a client, change a workout on the fly, etc. However on the rare occasion, I go out, and a client needs something changed or just wants a workout that day, an app for the coach would make this much easier obviously.

Mike H.

A MUST for any On-Line Coach

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Overall - IT IS AMAZING!!! Response from the support team is QUICK and always answer my questions.

Pros

TrueCoach has a great video library and resources to leverage when building out programs for clients. Adding clients is easy and very intuitive. The flexibility with how to write the workouts is so useful - you can do supersets, circuits or just prescribe simple sets and reps.

Cons

It takes a little getting used to - especially how to move exercises around within a day. Sometimes they get a little buggy and don’t land in the right spot. Another issue is when I copy and past workouts, it jumps a little and I have to pay close attention to what day I am editing - I have caught myself editing the wrong day and having to course correct.
The lack of ability to charge clients through the app is a sore point. Hopefully this update will happen sooner than later. I have held off on trying a 3rd party option and I am getting tired of chasing clients through PayPal. It would be best if it was all through TrueCoach.

Response from TrueCoach

Thanks for your feedback Mike. We are so happy that the platform is so easy to use, and we totally understand your frustration with the payment function. Just know we are working tirelessly to get it done.

Jordan K.

Fitbot/TrueCoach

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

It does increase my programming time and it is a great way to deliver my clients their workouts and create a streamline and cohesive business platform for me. it allows me to communicate with my clients efficiently and also allows for some distance between my clients and I when i am "not on the clock" from the old days of my cell phone for communication and emailing or google drive files....

Pros

The easy to use interface makes it great for setting up individual clients. Programming fast is easy, saving me time.

Cons

the software does limit to me to just a one on one with clients, and having season groups that I do offer, running programs or athletic teams I have had to get another software system to handle these groups, so i now have 2 payments and 2 different interfaces that my gym uses. Also a payment processing option i would have utilized initially, as i have had to use another software system to run all of that as well... it would be nice to have it all on one place. Also, app for android users...

Response from TrueCoach

Thanks for the feedback Jordan. We hope to have a payment function in the near future, hopefully we can cut down some of the platforms you are using. We are continually focused around building out the best platform possible, so we appreciate hearing your pain points.

Alexa G.

Hands Down Best Programming Software!

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Pros

There are many aspects of True Coach that I love. I love that I can not only attach exercise demo videos for my clients to see, but also that they can also attach videos of themselves doing the exercises for me to give feedback on. Additionally, I like that using the software allows me to keep track of past workouts, PRs, weights that clients used in exercises programmed, etc.. which makes it my job as a coach easier to progress clients appropriately. Furthermore, I just think that using the program appears much more professional than just sending out workouts via email or spreadsheets.

Cons

Honestly there is nothing really that comes to mind that I don't like about this software. Maybe the only thing that would be nice to have would be some sort of way to invoice/collect payment from clients each month or maybe even to just send a reminder to collect payment from clients (even if its though a different app like venmo/paypal).

Mike T.

I settled on FitBot after shopping around various systems for remote training.

Reviewed on 2017/06/15

Communication with my clients and a singular place in which to track all of their workouts and results

Pros

The support is above and beyond what I expected. As I ran into "learning curve" issues, I simply had to IM a question. Generally, it was answered within an hour or so. As I grow, so does this software. They continue to offer more features and data points with which to track progress. My athletes really appreciate this. It's nice for them to see the hard work pay off in black and white.

Communication with my clients is another great feature. All of our communication can be done within this software. It's easy to go back in and reference a conversation without changing mediums. As they finish their training for the day, I am able to check video, numbers, comments and give them immediate feedback. Especially with remote clients, this is critical for maintaining that relationship.

Cons

My learning curve. This is an easy system to learn, it just took me a little while to get my feet under me. That's on me though. As they continue to make improvements, I become more satisfied with the end result!

Anna O.

The best out there!

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

Overall, I have used this software for 3 years now and I wouldn't change to anything else. Best out there!

Pros

I love being able to copy and paste training sessions onto the next week. Editing is super simple and my clients always get what they need. Responses are sent real-time and I can do everything from my phone if I have to.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little slow with the video uploads. Which can be frustrating for my clients.

Giulia I.

How True Coach makes me a better coach

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Organizing my clients progress in a way that is meaningful and observable for them and for me.

Pros

True Coach is not only a great library (and one that I can add to) of exercises to use for prescribing training its a system that allows me to keep each one of my clients organized in a way that no other software captures as well.

Cons

It would be great if it allowed payment and acted as a CRM. There TRULY is no good fitness CRM--none get the fitness industry and especially not this model. The CRMs out there are based on group fitness model not on individual design.

James B.

Great Software: One for the future

Reviewed on 2019/06/28

Exceptional. Great team. Great product. Highly recommend.

Pros

TrueCoach is perfect for the trainer/coach who wants to implement a personalized service. Easy to use, great features and always new ideas coming out. They put the end user and trainer first in the experience.

Cons

1. No andoid app (yet)
2. No connection to health and fitness trackers such as fitbit/apple health to pull in steps/heart heath.
3. No connection to pull in data from say garmin for people who do endurance sports.

Minor points, but just nice ideas for the futuer.

Casey S.

Online Trainer that Scaled

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

positive all the way!!! the negatives aren't really negatives because every coach is different. they thought of everything and I KNOW how expensive software is to build. Good job team

Pros

There's a LOT- the features like copy, paste and programming- I am able to load programs, tweak per client and save time. NO SPREADSHEETS!!!!
no back and forth email communication. There's places to track lifts and the exercise history is awesome as well. money is - a GREAT DEAL for what you get!!!! I love how you can add coaches. honestly- I am VERY thankful for TC! thank you thank you!

Cons

you can attach your third party nutrition app- The diet side of things only allows you to put directions and macros- I use a software system so my clients have to log out of TC and go to my diet software which is ok. I wish they had a way to build % into workouts like, week 1 is 60% of their max- week 2 is 70% and it pre calculates based on what you have written down as their max. and one last - for progress pictures- if it could put them in a side by side and or tell you how much fat was lost or muscle gained per their body comp. I also add check in's- metrics allows me to do that but it's not very user friendly

TrueCoach Changes the Coaching+Client Experience

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Overall, my experience with TrueCoach has been fabulous. If you are a coach and do not use TrueCoach yet, what are you waiting for?!

Pros

As both a client and a coach I love that I am able to easily switch from one account to another. From a coaching standpoint it allows me to be more efficient and thorough than any other platform I have used before. The level of detail I am able to track for each client is second to none (plus it is easy to do so). As a client of a coach who also uses TrueCoach, the site is super user friendly and consistent.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say. It always seems that the TrueCoach team is working to fix any bugs or inconveniences as soon as they come up and they are constantly working on improving the platform. If there are ever any cons, they don't stay that way for long.

Michael B.

The smoothest programming and coaching experience I've ever encountered in a decade of coaching.

Reviewed on 2017/06/06

This software has allowed me to increase productivity, increase my revenue, and most importantly, provide better coaching to my clients all over the world.

Pros

This software is fantastic at creating efficiency with client management. What I love most about this software is that I have been able to quadruple my client load, and triple my income in under 18 months. All while actually working less because of the seamless interface. The updates they constantly push only help improve not only the coaching experience for a coach but also the client's experience. This software is what lets me, as a professional strength coach, reach countless more athletes around the globe.

Cons

I do not like that this software is not available on the current iOS or Android systems as an application.

Response from Fitbot

Michael, thanks for the review. Excited to hear how you've been able to 4X your client load and 3X your income in under 18 months using Fitbot! We're hard at work on a native iOS app for clients in addition to the current mobile web app. Stay tuned!

Brian D.

A must for any personal trainer

Reviewed on 2017/06/15

I went from only having influence on my clients' training the 1-2 days/week I would see them, to being able to impact their entire week. My clients have seen this as a value bump, which has led to an increase in retention rate.

Pros

There's an extensive exercise library, but I can also easily add my own OR change the name of a video that's already included. It's super simple to build workouts, track progress, and they keep adding great features to improve efficiency.

Cons

They're constantly improving so this could very well be taken care of by the time I finish writing the review, but I think the Nutrition feature leaves something to be desired from the coaching side of things. I think it would be cool if they built in some sort of macro-calculator, rather than having to do it through a third-party app and transfer over. Not that the latter is too hard to do, but I think if FitBot wants to be a one-stop shop for online coaches, then a macro-calculator is the last missing piece.

Nicole L.

Game changer for remote coaching

Reviewed on 2018/11/10

True Coach (formerly fitbot) as been a game changer for our remote coaching business. Increased client feedback / interactions as well as streamlining our individual programming has been awesome. Clients also really like the new iphone app for viewing training as well as recording their results.

Pros

Ease of communication and feedback with clients
One system for tracking training progress, PR's, progress pictures as well as outlining training programs
Facilitates the ability to develop individual training programs for clients remotely without additional spreadsheets.

Cons

A minor detail, but I wish there was an easier way to save clients PR videos as part of their benchmarks. To my knowledge, you have to download their video, then reupload to the benchmark section for this to be saved with their PR data.

Response from TrueCoach

Thank you Nicole! We are honored that TrueCoach has been a valuable investment for you so far.

Great idea on the PR Tracking and video storage. We will look into it for sure.

Ayn T.

pros and cons

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

This software has completely changed my coaching career for the better. Without it I would never have been organized enough to start writing remote programming for clients and the app made the experience so professional and strealined for my clients. I honestly don't know where my career would be without it...seriously.

Pros

I love the ease and user friendliness of the software. The video library was a real game changer.

Cons

As a gym owner who requires my coaches to use truecoach for their personal training and remote coaching clients and who pays for their accounts, I wish there was a centralized/gym owned account option for multiple coaches so i can manage all their billing receipts, track how many clients I am paying for and their overall usage. This is really my only complaint.

Wesley F.

Great for online programming for clients

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

I am enjoying using truecoach as a tool for my clients that want individualized workouts to do on their own. Keeps the spreadsheets away and truecoach has a good platform to track results.

Pros

Able to send clients workouts to do. Great that it has videos that go with movements so clients can use it as references.

Cons

Does not have app for android platform yet. Doing the programming on a phone is not very friendly.

If a client inputs multiple sets prior to a 1RM for a max lift, truecoach doesn't seem to be able to pick up the largest number in the results and fails to update the new 1RM.

Response from TrueCoach

Thank you Wesley! We are so happy to hear your clients are enjoying the app. Great suggestion on the 1rm calculator. We will look into what it takes to do one.

David W.

Coaching made easier

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

Overall very happy with my experience using TrueCoach.

Pros

- Instantly see client progress
- track metrics
- video demos for clients to easily see
- easy for clients to upload pictures and videos
- everything all in one place for messaging, tracking and coaching clients

Cons

Would like to see additional functionality to setup non workout related reminders for clients. For example: drink water with lemon juice in the morning every day.

Can do it by typing up as a workout, but would be cool to have streamlined as a separate thing.

A year and a half in...

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

I tried a trial membership with Trainerize and didn’t like the limited formatting as it didn’t vibe with my style or flow of training. TrueCoach has been much more cohesive from the get go and their customer service when I’ve had questions has always been quick, easy and super friendly.

Pros

Overall, the ease and flexibility of the platform suits my needs superbly. Learning the software from my clients’ perspective has been intuitive and easy for the most part, which ultimately makes my job easier.

Cons

I wish you could delete specific exercises from the preloaded library rather than it being an all of nothing disabling option. I know they’re working on adding functionality for taking payments, as well as a coach’s app, but those are two areas that are currently missing at the moment. I also wish we could have a more complete client profile with their address info, too.

Brandon H.

Awesome product for program design/ coaching

Reviewed on 2019/07/12

True Coach has been an excellent addition to our coaching business.

Pros

True Coach has streamlined our workflow of writing training programs as well as facilitated communication with our clients. Before True Coach we were using email and google docs- it was cumbersome and time consuming. Switching to True Coach allows us to be much more efficient with our time as well as receiving and giving client feedback via messages and video attachments within their training program.

Cons

I really haven't had many issues. There will occasionally be a software glitch, but the True Coach IT team is quick to respond and update any fixes that need to be made.