1 416 reviews

Tick

Project time tracking on desktop, web & mobile

1 416 reviews
Imtiaz S.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Perfect tool for every organization to track time

Reviewed on 2021/01/10

Pros

You can use the tool very quickly. It's good to make time for a project to make sure we really make the best use of our time.

Cons

Tick isn't therefore a mechanism about which I can complain. No drawbacks at all.

Robert S.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Where have you been all my career, Tick?

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

Allows me to track my time quickly and easily. Saves time while making me look like a genius.

Pros

Where do I begin? Tick saves me an immense amount of time *and* it makes me look good doing it. Time sheets used to be druggery. Always playing catch up at the end of the week (or even end of the month!). The project management software I was using was a clunky solution at best. Other time tracking software was too expensive or was part of a larger ecosystem I had to buy into. Tick is an elegant stand-alone solution that does one thing really well - track time allotted, time billed, and time remaining.

The key for me has been the Chrome extension. It's right there so I can make an entry or start a timer while I am working without opening another tab or using another app. And time entry is really easy with the intuitive and responsive UI. I really appreciate the list of recent tasks that quickly populate the time entry.

Tick also allows me to quickly see where I am on my budgets and give answers on labor budget remaining. No more "let me get back to you," It's right there and because I now enter time on the fly, its always up to the minute.

Tick can produce quick reports by company, project, and task. My clients have been impressed with the professional and detailed time reports. I can also pull out the time entries and feed them into my project management app and my spreadsheets. It's quick and painless.

Cons

If I had to say anything less than glowing about Tick it would be that it's not the easiest to edit past time entries from any of the summary views. The user must find the entry in the task, note the date, and then navigate to the date. That's easy enough if you have Tick multiple browser tabs open but it is *one* thing I'd like to change.

Stan Y.
  • Industry: Publishing

My company uses this just to track time spent on various projects and it works pretty well for...

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

Time tracking that we can't do anywhere else on our existing project systems.

Pros

Works on via the web as well as software installed on Mac or PC. For a company like ours who use a variety of browsers and operating systems, this seems to work the same for everyone. My preference is the web interface as it allows me to enter time as I'm doing it, ahead of time, or after the fact. I use the widget on the Mac side to provide regular reminders to log my time, which is the kick in the tush I usually need.

Cons

With a lot of projects on the account, it can take a while to switch from entering time into existing projects to editing that project or creating a new one. Doesn't integrate with our other project software (or we haven't tried to do so), so there's no detail to the projects...just a reference to log the time.

Jason W.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

I have already recommended it to others.

Reviewed on 2017/03/17

Over the course of the past 16 months or so that I have been using the software it has been very dependable. The feature that allows a user to pick tasks from previous jobs has been a big time saver during job set up. Tick is flexible enough to keep up with the varying needs of my large corporate as well as agency clients, each with their own unique way of keeping track of time. If you work with subcontractors, it's great being able to add and remove people on the fly without incurring additional charges. I chose this platform over others because the fees are based on the number of jobs, not the number of users. The more jobs you have in the system, the more you pay.

That being said $49 a month for more than 10 jobs per month does seem a bit high. That is the same amount I pay Adobe for their entire Creative Cloud. Think about all the R&D and decades that have gone into the full suite of Adobe products. I only pay Microsoft $10 per month.

But even at that price, I would still recommend it. I was on site at an agency and the creative director saw it on my computer and thought it was great.

Pros

Pricing based on Jobs. Picking up tasks from previous jobs. The desktop and iPhone apps.

Cons

Price

Mandy S.

TICK makes our office tick!

Reviewed on 2017/01/20

Our office has been using TICK for nearly a year now and I can honestly say, the program has greatly improved our productivity. While not a favorite task, tracking time is a must in an agency atmosphere. We enter time to ensure WE are being productive and to allow for accurate client billing. And we love that we don't even have to wait until the month is over to see how we are doing. TICK makes us tick for several reasons. We enter how much time we think we should spend on each client project, and then as time is tracked, we can instantly see our firm's monthly progress. When problems are identified mid-month, we can reallocate time within a client's project or to another client. We also like to be able to measure our team's overall productivity and individual staff member's workload or productivity. This is the only way to measure our profit and loss, and to plan for future staffing needs. One suggestion for improvement would be re: reporting. We find some of the features to be a bit clunky. It would be helpful to be able to customize reports. And running a retroactive report showing the percentage of time used, even if it was over the allotted budget, would be a nice feature.

Pros

Cons

n/a

Allison H.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

A clean, simple and easy to use platform

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

Tick was an extremely easy, clean, simple platform for me to use to log my hours at a specific job. It was easy for my employer to review the process of documenting my hours, as well as making changes to my timesheet later on. It was very convenient that it was a platform I could use at work and at home if adjustments needed to be made on non-work days. I enjoyed getting updates from Tick each week about the hours I logged - this helped keep me accountable and sure that I was properly logging my hours! I would recommend the platform to businesses and employees alike.

Pros

The software was extremely easy to use as an employee. I liked that I was easily able to make an adjustment to my timecard when needed, and was easily able to communicate changes on Tick to my employer. It was easily accessible at work and from home. I was able to easily see the layout of my hours. The reports made it simple to separate the logging of hours for each project I works, which helped me fill out my additional spreadsheets needed for payday.

Cons

Nothing in particular. Very easy to use!

Robert W.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

A painless way to keep track of project time with low learning curve for new users

Reviewed on 2017/04/28

It's easy for our team to keep track of hours and see when / if we are meeting budget or going over.

Pros

I like the fact that it's easily accessible to new users with uncomplicated, easy to navigate screens. There is a lot of customization features that are very handy as well. We are a television media production company and require a lot of different categories for services and Tick provides us with the flexibility to do what we need.

Cons

I would like to be able to see at a glance what I have entered hours on in the past month and the month before that. I need a quick visual reference to all my hours in separate projects, grouped in one space so I can review quickly.

Ben M.

Excellent value, performance issues with very large datasets.

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

I've been using Tick for years, and it's been doing its job well. It always records time properly, and it always gives useful reports to the people who need them.

The only issue that I have with it is that, now that our project and client database has grown so large over time, Tick can take 5-10 seconds to load each time it refreshes, which can get somewhat frustrating. It's a small price to pay, but worth mentioning.

Pros

Great price, incredibly easy to use

Cons

Feature set somewhat limited compared with some of the competition. Slows down with very large databases.

Lisa M.

A Great Transparency Tool for Our Clients and Our Agency

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

Our agency uses Tick for two main purposes- to keep an accurate pulse on bandwidth and capacity for all of our employees and to deliver a transparent view of our efforts and tasks to the clients we work with.

Pros

The ability to enter time in hours and minutes or decimal numbers as well as the ability to integrate with Basecamp.

Cons

It lives in the background of all my other windows and open tabs and sometime I just forget to log my time.

Cary C.

Whoever discovered Time managing software was a genius!!!

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

If you ever need help managing and keeping track of time this is the perfect software.

Pros

My whole life I have always had difficulties managing and keeping track of my time especially now having to keep track of other employees times, (the time they spend completing specific jobs i give them.) I was introduced to time tracking software and now it is all good.

Cons

I sometimes have operating issues when I am using tick from my mobile, but nothing to serious and it seems like the software runs a little slower as well. But I still love using it.

Lewis E.

Tick is a really good solution for many of us

Reviewed on 2017/04/07

We have about 10 different employees working on sets of tasks where we have to keep track of the labor hours spent on each task. We assign the tasks via Basecamp and Tick Integrates very well with Basecamp.

Once you have basecamp, installing Tick and synchronizing the two is extremely easy. For the individuals to keep track of their time the learning curve is very easy. It is a little harder for the management to set up the various category and organizing the tasks. But the best thing is that you do not have to enter the Tasks and Names in Tick. They are automatically picked up from Basecamp.

We find the analytic portions of Tick not very useful, not because they are poorly programmed, but in our use case, the tasks are in constant flux and there is no real measure of percentage completion. There are a few minor weaknesses in Tick. For example, employees cannot enter their time on a task in hours and minutes. It has to be in hours and decimals of hours. This is a bit of a pain for many people. but they all get the hang of it shortly. For keeping and allocating time to tasks, Tick is as good as any we have looked at including the very expensive overall systems that are entire personnel management systems. For us Tick is even better as these others require big set up time and force the small business into systems that they might well want to do without. For what it does--allocates labor time to tasks I think it is as good as anything else currently available. The price is reasonable and you do not get ripped off as you do with so many of these overall personnel systems.

Emma K.

Super Simple and Helpful Time Management Tool

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

It helps our management team know who's spending time on which projects and where we need more resources.

Pros

I like that it integrates directly with Basecamp and that you can allocate a specific hourly budget to each project. This really helps the team know how much time we should be spending on each project each month. I like that it sends a weekly recap of how much time you've entered.

Cons

Nothing stands out as far as negatives about this software. It's very easy to use.

Stephen S.
  • Industry: Design

Really great with minor glitches

Reviewed on 2017/02/14

Overall, Tick has been easy to use and adds huge accountability for our team. I really enjoy being able to pass along full reports to clients for hours at any time, and I enjoy that I can review and scrub hours for each project. The only issue I have is that every now and then Tick just doesn't work. I'm not sure why, but I won't be able to submit any hours. This only happens 2-3 times a month, but it's not great when it does happen since it's harder to log accurate hours a day or two later.

Pros

Reports, ability to review hours of whole team, keeping track of my weekly hours as a whole

Cons

Stops working from time to time for no reason.

Parker L.
  • Industry: Design

A simple tool that pulls everything together!

Reviewed on 2017/05/03

Efficient tracking of projects!

Pros

I love the ability to work with a team no matter where I am. It takes the guesswork out of the job and lets me focus on the task at hand!

Cons

Overall the software is enjoyable, but the way teams are organized could be done a littler better. The ability to customize and separate users more would be appreciated.

Rick P.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Easy-to-use time tracking software offers nothing new and few integrations

Reviewed on 2019/08/17

Not overly impressed with the UI or functionality.

Pros

The on-boarding info was quite thorough and helpful and requires a shift in thinking from the way other tracking apps proceed. At first I balked at being lectured to but once the different approach set in I recognized its value. The set-up was easy.

Time tracked is constantly updated in the Chrome tab. Nice.

I don't use Basecamp at the moment but a colleague who does let me look over her shoulder as she integrated Tick. The integration works well.

Cons

Tick is a one-trick pony and there are few integrations. Basecamp is a biggie and an obvious choice but I was hoping I could see how Tick integrated with Clickup which I'm evaluation now. Other time-tracking apps are supported.

Hector R.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Usefull but not the best UX

Reviewed on 2017/04/04

I fill lots and lots of entries in Tick. Its usefull and fairly easy to use... but sometimes not the most practical. I have tasks that I repeat troughout the week (and even the month). I have to copy and paste each day the same thing... there should be a way to select repetitive tasks and auto fill then troughout the whole month. Also synchronize with outlook and autofill the meetings... wow that would be great. Thanks!

Pros

Easy and practical

Cons

Not a lot of evolution in terms of user experience

Lou G.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great Product for Projects

Reviewed on 2017/04/04

We started using Tick a few years ago to help better track our projects internally. Once we realized how simple and easy it was to use, we started tracking other time related tasks. The simple to use interface makes it effortless to contribute time to tasks. We also use Basecamp and the integration with Tick is flawless!

Pros

Easy to use interface
basecamp integration

Cons

n/a

Mykhailo G.

Fast and easy

Reviewed on 2017/04/29

Quick and easy time tracking in our company

Pros

It's fast and easy way to use. It has all features that I need except some minor features that i want.

Cons

Maybe it's too expensive and will be better to reduce the price a bit. Will be cool to have month/year view calendar with all entries and ability to bulk entry.

Great Time Tracking App

Reviewed on 2019/07/31

Pros

This is a great app for easy time logging and tracking. I usually keep this in the background at the start of the day, and leave it all day. I handle multiple different billing projects with clients, and this is a great app to keep all billing and invoice information on track

Cons

The cost is a bit expensive; however, it is worth it as it saves time needed to manually track down hours especially when dealing with multiple clients. That being said, there are other services out there that can probably do the same job for a much cheaper per month rate

Eduardo E.

Great great great tool

Reviewed on 2017/04/24

I used Tick with basecamp to capture time for my team and all of our vendors. It worked great. Tick really felt like a native functionality of basecamp and offered all of the reporting we needed.

Pros

Ease of use, integration with basecamp, reporting

Cons

Desktop timer app wasn't working at the time.

Tick works great for our company!

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Tick is a great program for recording all staff members weekly time sheets

Pros

Tick is super easy to use for people of all technical levels. It's also a great way to track previous time sheets.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. Tick is simple and easy to use, which is exactly what we want/need.

Christine T.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

MANAGMENT FOR TIME MANAGMENT

Reviewed on 2017/04/18

Ticktime is an incredibly easy to maneuver, time management, online or mobile program that helps you track your time for multiple projects cross-platform. This has helped me manage my projects in a timely manner in order for me to stay on track with company deadlines. I recommend this to all!

Pros

It is easy to operate and very user friendly

Cons

None

Christopher K.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Tick for Cornell Alumni Affairs and Developement

Reviewed on 2018/09/20

it's been great.

Pros

it's the perfect tool for our needs of timetracking projects from basecamp.

Cons

Wish there wasn't a limit to how many projects could be in there. I'd love to see it link to our basecamp account and just sync/update with the projects automatically.

Danny C.
  • Industry: Media Production

Easy to Use, Keeps Me on Track

Reviewed on 2017/01/20

I like using Tick for the timer function when I am starting on certain tasks. I usually like to set times for how long I will work on a project before moving on to something else, so it's nice to have a timer in my browser for that and tallying up my time so I can see the assortment of projects I'm spending the most time on. I do wish there was a way to set the time though, say 1 hour before Tick alerts me, so that I don't fall into spending more time than what I wanted to on a project. I also love the ease of use with Tick. It's very straightforward and does a great job of totaling my hours each week.

Pros

-The timer function
-Ease of use
-Organization of tasks

Cons

-Can't set the timer to alert me during time increments

Claire H.

M&a Contact Centre Sydney

Reviewed on 2017/04/19

Easy to use, set up function simple, quality of data that can be pulled is 10/10 we use for all our reporting, timesheeting, budget setting & reconciliations. We are able to adapt the logins to reflect staff being temp, casual, permanent, pt or management. Separate budgets, campaigns and monthly billing

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

No ability to roster