Privy Reviews

Privy

Email list growth platform for marketers

4.6/5 (30 reviews)
John L.

Great for on-site Email Acquisition

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Privy has tripled our on-site email acquisition. It is really customizable and gives a great user experience (for both the customer and store). Customer support has been great

Pros

Easy to use interface
Drastically and quickly improves email acquisition & conversion
Helpful support team
Integrations with Shopify

Cons

Some of the web exclusions can get confusing
Not as plug & play for ecomm platforms other than Shopify
Occasional features don't work as expected (pop ups show up immediately versus time spent or % scrolled).

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review and for bing a customer John!

Kristina B.

It works and then there is the confetti

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Better conversion rate on email signups, flexible design and scheduling of popups - confetti when users sign up.

Pros

This is a good freemium platform for making email signups on your website happen in an attractive way. It has surely led to more conversions for us. For free software it has great features and lots of options, we've all been on the site with too many annoying popups. You can choose that route here or dial back and customize it to the look of your site. The very very best thing is you can make confetti swirl on the user's screen when they sign up. Its magical.

Cons

No complaints. If I want to do more with pop-ups than email sign-ups I will look into the more advanced features.

Response from Privy

Thanks Kristina! Glad you love Privy!

Danielle M.

We use privy to collect email addresses online.

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

I like the integration with Shopify and MailChimp. This makes address collection pretty easy. There is more functionality that we haven't utilized.

Cons

I had a bad experience recently when I tried to find out the URL that my sign-ups were coming from.

Response from Privy

Hey Danielle - thanks for the review!

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you had trying to find out what URLs your signups were coming from.

I'll shoot you a separate email to help you with that.

Josh from Privy

7.0/10
Elizabeth S.

It's been a great addition!

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

Perfect for email sign up!

Pros

Every website should have pop ups either for subscribing to e-mail list or announcing sales and promotions. Privy has been a great addition to my website, super easy to use and set up. Highly recommend!

Cons

Wish there were more customization options, like fonts or a way to use your own fonts. Otherwise it's great!

Response from Privy

Thanks Elizabeth!

Glad to hear you're loving Privy.

There are actually a bunch of font options available and if you're on our commerce plan or higher you can install custom fonts.

Can't say enough about this company and its CEO. The tool is awesome, powerful and simple to use.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

I love that the popups are so fully customizable. I didn't get that with Hellobar and alternatives. I love that the company is transparent. I've seen the CEO on chat so many times and he is awesomely helpful!

Cons

The integration with my ESP has been dodgy a couple times, but that could be on the other end, not Privy's.

Kelly R.

Didn't work well for me

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

This software did not work out well for me at all and I would not recommend it to others

Pros

It is easy to use like most products out there. I thought it was going to be a good idea at first and the interface is easy to use. Maybe it works better for those in industries other than mine but I found it mediocre.

Cons

The pop ups were starting to annoy my customers coming in to the site so I took the popup feature down. I felt it was actually hindering my small business website's growth. I gave it 1 star for Value due to the fact that it was deterring customers.

Response from Privy

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for the feedback and for trying Privy. It appears that you're using another pop up provider now, so i hope it works better for you.

In taking a quick peek at your account, it looks like in your free plan you could have adjusted down the frequency of the pop up to once or once a week and maybe made some other tweaks to make it more effective. Probably worth trying on your current set up as well to not annoy frequent visitors.

Best of luck!

Josh from Privy

2.0/10
Fernando j G.

Finally, a website visitor conversion tool that really works!

Reviewed on 2018/02/18

Pros

Creating a site conversion campaign has never been so easy! Privy takes you by the hand and guides you through the setup process in a very friendly way. You can definitely creat a campaign in minutes. Integrating the tool into your website is really easy, so easy you don't actually need to be an expert.

Changing, updating or inactivating a campaign is also very easy. In the dashboard, you can see how your campaigns are doing in just a glance.

Although the free subscription is limited, it offers great features for startups, like unlimited campaigns and signups, which is actually the main reason to use a tool like Privy. Integration with email service providers is also available in the free plan, and the process is very easy.

The Customer Support is trully great. Privy shows to be compromised to deliver the best experience at every level of the process.

Brittany V.

Captures Attention

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/11

Great for building an email list and getting sales to go through on your site because of coupon offerings!

Pros

This is a great tool for capturing your customer's attention before they're about to leave your Shopify store. I've had this setup on my online store for about 2 years now. I find people are usually pretty inclined to submitting their email anywhere if it means getting a discount coupon. So obviously this tactic works well. I definitely think anyone needs this tool if they have an online store
It's very customizable to your needs and design. And it's great for analytics. Very user-friendly and easy to setup with Shopify, like most add-ons.

Cons

I mean it's a pretty straight forward software. Maybe more catered to smaller businesses rather than large companies.

Amber F.

Good for Marketing

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

Pros

Great for store site popups, with tones of features and designs.

Cons

Free version has a logo on popup and not all features are free.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review and for using Privy!

Awesome Tool for Growing Your Email List

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Overall, Privy has helped me grow my email list and so I am happy with this software.

Pros

I like the spin the wheel and gamified lead-opt in options. Privy sends me an updated email everyday on the status of my campaigns. I like the personal update. It is also easy to install on your website and to customize the forms and campaigns.

Cons

I wish there was a little bit more aesthetically pleasing default templates for the lead opt-in. More variety in font options would be great too.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review!

Tracey B.

Great addition to any website

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

Privvy has changed so much for our mail chimp email newsletter list. It’s so nice that customers can easily see a pop up when they visit the site and sign up right then and there.

Pros

Privvy was so easy to set up, add to our website and connect to mail chimp.

Cons

I love everything about it, it’s hard to think of a con.

Perfect For Getting New Email Subscribers

Reviewed on 2019/03/20

Excellent, very happy with this software.

Pros

This is a simple app to install on Shopify Plus, and helped my business grow our email subscriber list.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike, I'm a fan of it and have installed it on all of my Shopify sites.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review and choosing Privy!

Daniel S.

Flexible and easy

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

Pros

- Like that it integrates with Shopify and Mailchimp
- I like that I can set triggers for when it pops up and easily design new campaigns to test them

Cons

THere are no cons that I can think of. We have a pretty simple use case on our website and it does the job.

After using multiple different list growth tools... Privy is finally the one I've settled on.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Over 3000 emails captured in just under a month and optimized the most effective way to do this because of their reporting system and AB testing.

Pros

Great features cover all scenarios you want to test and use for acquring emails. The dashboard and reporting is great too. Very feature heavy, I don't even use most of the features they offer.

Cons

A little pricey when you don't really need to use some of the features they offer. Also would like the ability to better organize the campaigns in date order.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review!

These Pop-ups Make Some Money!

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Pros

I like this software because it works and makes sales. If you set it up to match your website and branding, it can seriously convert potential sales into real ones.

Cons

I feel like they purposely make the trial difficult to operate so you have to upgrade your account to the next level. Also, this system does overlap sometimes with the way your email client will run if you are just using it for Abandoned Cart popups.

Brandon L.

Fantastic Software with instant results!

Reviewed on 2016/11/15

We went from 1-2 signups a month to about 10 a day almost instantly with Privy's products that integrate seamlessly with our Shopify

Pros

Ease of use, instant results we get, and the price is great! Integrates perfectly with Shopfiy

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Brionne G.

Cool Tool, Way too Spendy

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

This tool is pretty easy to learn and the sleek interface makes it easy to find the tools you are looking for, whether it's options to customize your pop-up, connecting your MailChimp account, etc.

Cons

It's way too expensive. Competitors offer the same features for a fraction of the price. I also like that it doesn't automatically update your email list, you have to manually export contacts from Privy to MailChimp. Maybe it does it automatically if you upgrade your account.

Response from Privy

Hey Brionne,

Thanks for your review on Capterra! Glad to hear that for the most part you are enjoying Privy. In terms of syncing your new subscribers over to Mailchimp, you can do that automatically on any of our plans. Just go to the automation step of any of your display campaigns, select Mailchimp and then choose which list you want it to sync to in your MC account.

Hope that helps!

Josh

4.0/10
Jenna S.

Integrates with Shopify

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

Pros

Setup was a snap with Shopify and MailChimp. Used the spin to win game to collect lots of email addresses and give customers something fun

Cons

Steep price upgrade to get to some really useful features. It would be hard as a small business to justify the expense. Doesn't work with Google Tag Manager on the free plan

Oral T.

My Privy Review

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/10/15

I used Privy for a long time, till the Google announces its pop-up policy.

Pros

All the basic functionalities come free. Privy is one of the must-have tools for a start-up. It provides fun and easy way to collect emails from your website visitors.

Cons

Most of its tools are the pop-up type. This cause misunderstanding in Google algorithms. As a result of this, your website's Google search rankings could be decreased.

Response from Privy

Hi Oral!

Thanks for the great review. We really appreciate it. You mentioned the Google mobile pop up penalty in your review so I wanted to share a video we did recently about how to easily use Privy while avoiding any penalties. Enjoy!

Robin C.

Great Program to Grow your List!

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

So easy to use. Drag & drop feature is great. Love being able to test all my campaigns with a/b sending. Easy integration, even for those not tech-savy.

Pros

EASY to use. Setup was seamless and almost did it itself. Quick. Ability to customize to fit your needs.

Cons

Having to pay for it? Seriously, I've been using this software for about 6 months and haven't had a problem that HELP couldn't solve almost instantly for me.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review Robin!

Charles H.

Love this app. Very useful.

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

Like to be able to alert potential customers with deals in store and sign-ups to gather customer details for customer contact and future sales.

Cons

To date, no real cons for us. This app is very easy to use, has what we need for the time being and works well in getting customer's attention and information we use for sales.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review Charles, glad you love it so far!

We LOVE Privy!

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Pros

Privy has helped us increase our email subscribers to our weekly newsletter by 270%!!! We love privy and will absolutely continue to keep it on our website.

Cons

Nothing -- we love Privy, both the free version and the paid version are both wonderful.

Response from Privy

Thanks for the review and for choosing Privy!

Abigail N.

Free Simple Lead Generation Software

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2016/12/14

While searching for free landing pages, I stumbled upon Privy. I signup for the free plan because of it's integration with Mailchimp and Sendinblue.

My goal was to create a landing page for an email course. The landing page design was easy but my first problem came in the form of the field options.

Privy's free plan is similar to ONTRApages in the sense that the free plan only allows you to ask for the visitor's email. To get the visitors name or any other detail I had to upgrade.

The only way to work around this without spending a dime was to connect privy to MailChimp and use Zapier to connect MailChimp to Hubspot CRM and Hubspot CRM to Clearbit using Zapier.

This wouldn't work because MailChimp's free plan didn't allow automation and while Sendinblue had great automation, there is no Sendinblue-Hubspot CRM Zap.

While Privy is a great free lead generation software, the free version would only be useful if the only field you need in your popups and landing page is the email field. Other than that, it plays nice with various email providers.

I ended up playing with a bit of code and used Sendinblue's signup/subscription form to create a simple landing page, similar to MailChimp's signup form.

6.0/10
Allison W.

Great pop-up tool for email signups

Reviewed on 2018/10/20

Pros

Easy to get started with first time email sign ups and syncs with my MailChimp lists automatically.

Cons

The website can be difficult to navigate sometimes when trying to find settings to customize my pop-up with.

7.0/10
Julian A.

Beautiful Popups and Lead Collection

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

Pros

Privy has a very easy to use setup and integrates seamlessly with Shopify. The popups look very good, and design is completely customizable. Many of the settings can be edited even with the free plan. This app can also integrate with MailChimp and other email marketing clients.

Cons

You must upgrade to remove Privy branding but that is totally understandable. Other than that, not really a downside I could find!