Aplos

An accounting software suite for nonprofits & churches.

4,1
4,6

Efficient and Easy

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

The software is easy to use and not too expensive. Minimal accounting or bookkeeping experience is needed.

Cons

I saw the software worked great when our church was small. As it grew the amount of accounting required a program that could keep track of individual versus batch transactions.

Susan F.
Industry: Financial Services

Great for our small Condo Association

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

They are incredibly responsive, and when we initially set up the Accounts, they spent the time with me to help set us up based on our needs.

Pros

Bank Integration is a huge benefit. As the Treasurer of a small condominium association (volunteer job), I only need to spend a couple of hours a month on our financials. Running reports for our condo meetings and taxes is a breeze.

Cons

Its not completely made for condo association accounting, but we've been able to retrofit our needs. Funds doesn't exactly translate to the accounts we track, as we really do have 3 separate bank accounts. This requires an extra step in our monthly recons, but its not awful.

Joseph Z.

Aplos Review

Reviewed on 2020/08/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

will give it a 7/10 for easy use and a not so expensive budget but the biggest proof the software is to be able to do most of the accounting jobs in one software and even a person with low accounting knowledge can easily decode the information on the software

Pros

-easy to use and setup
-offers the project management and budget setup which is crucial for my office
-its an all in one package that allows any organization to fulfill their accounting needs in one place

Cons

the lack of social media management and it does not integrate well with some of our fundraising softwarew

Terry W.

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

Reviewed on 2015/03/07

If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it!

Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to account for your Funds discretely (separate pots of income) then Aplos just works!

Took about an hour to sign up and set up a sandbox (using the trial license) to represent the way my small organisation works - I uncovered a couple of desirable features for product development (see later) but within another 30 minutes I had reports and analysis that would do the job for us so much better than my grumpy accountant! - I showed the software to a user who, after a 5 minute demo, needed no more explanation and was able to enter transactions with multiple expense lines each separately analysed by fund.

The user interface is clearly the 'killer' feature - it is so intuitive that I wonder why others didn't think of it (why didn't I think of it?). The transaction input process for most accounting products is the 'ugly baby' of the product - in Aplos it's the wonder child!

Some caveats to bring this back to earth...

a) The product is currently for the North American market - needs additional features to make it more readily accepted in UK/Europe:
1. Needs a parameterised currency symbol (we don't do dollars!) - but the easy export of reports allows replacement of currency symbol in Excel.
2. Online donations (a great feature!) require a US Bank Account
3. Needs Paypal integration
4. UK giving sites like justgiving.com are very common - integration needed

b) Many grant funders want a full budget before grant - we then need to account against the budget elements (e.g. £500 for travel + £5000 for salary). Aplos currently doesn't budget by Fund element (just at Fund level) but the Income Report provides a full breakdown by expense for each Fund (so allowing manual comparison).

The free support provided by Aplos is responsive and helpful and I am assured that most of these features are on future development plans.

I'm just going to go ahead and sign up for the paid version - I need this software so that I can get on with the purpose of our Charity!!

Terry Wilcox
Project Director
In2Out

www.in2out.org.uk

Sherry N.

Good Software for Beginning Nonprofits

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

I like that everything is all together in one spot - donor software, accounting, newletters and online giving forms. I like how when someone gives online through your forms that it automatically incorporates into your accounting and saves info from the giver into your contacts.

Their customer service and support is their beacon of light. Extreme strong point. It's almost as if you have nonprofit accountant on your staff to answer your questions. They answer you quickly, and their answers are always helpful. And often times they've logged in and completely helped me fix an issue. This is the best thing I love about them and something that makes them completely unique. This was a game changer for me as a brand new nonprofit and didn't know what I was doing. I can't say enough about this! This is what makes me recommend them to everyone I know that's a nonprofit leader.

Cons

The newsletter email templates and online giving forms are very template-y and don't give you a lot of control. The final product can help you get information out, however it looks pretty amateurish, which in turn makes your nonprofit/your brand, look amateurish - which is more important than most people know. If Aplos could follow constant contact's lead on design formatting they would be top notch.

The other thing I don't like is often I'm fundraising for events and have options for customers to pick (example : I want to buy tickets for an event and a tshirt for two people), or want them to be able to buy multiples of items and it really needs somewhat of a "cart" option for online giving forms.

Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give. I get this a lot. Which can hinder givers, often they won't go back again and give again when they get an email way later that the transaction didn't go through, so you lose donations. I've addressed this with them several times, but there hasn't been any resolution. I think it has to do with that the provider they use does a micro-transaction to the bank and then banks don't approve it.

Jasmia S.

Aplos Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

Overall, Aplos has been great with improving the software and I can tell that they are really listening to feedback.

Pros

It is very easy to use and saves us money from having our Accounting come on site weekly. The articles, tutorials, and staff are great.

Cons

The Pledges feature does not have a lot effective reporting so we will not use it.

Mary G.
Industry: Philanthropy

Great accounting software at an affordable priceI

Reviewed on 2017/10/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Great buy for any non-profit.

Pros

This accounting software has many features only found in more expensive packages. Very flexible reporting options. Easy to train set up and train staff.

Cons

I have not found anything I couldn't do with Aplos that I wanted to do other than delete extra rows in a journal entry.

Mike H.

Alpos Makes Fund Accounting Easy and Hassle Free

Reviewed on 2017/08/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We switched to Aplos in February, the support as we transitioned was amazing.

Pros

Web based, true fund accounting, great customer service, the reports are easy to read and understand, everything is real time.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the reconciliation screen is not as customizable as I would have liked.

Michele S.

Very User Friendly!

Reviewed on 2017/01/10

Our non-profit began using Aplos from the beginning! We have appreciated the consistent customer support and openness to customer feedback. I love Aplos because it offers our non-profit a high-functioning, easy to use platform for someone life myself who does not have an accounting degree.

Pros

Easy to use and very intuitive.

Bev H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Very disappointing! Instead of trying to be all service system, they should focus on accounting.

Reviewed on 2017/08/28

Understanding flow of fund accounting.

Pros

Nothing to say. Dashboard is nice, if the data is correct and updated. Report lists looks good if it functions.

Cons

Ongoing problems, month after month, in many areas. Then the response time to get problems resolved is unacceptable and you are stuck in their hands until it works in their schedule. They have spent more time focusing on adding modules then on working the bugs out of what they already have. How disappointing. They could be a great fund accounting system if they didn't try to spread into areas they are not equipped in such as donor software.

They develop updates and implement them without knowing how it could impact the user and the users data that is imported through an API.

Just started with at at the beginning of 2017 and am already considering looking for another software.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Kathy P.

Review from Faith Bible Church

Reviewed on 2017/01/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I find this accounting program easy to understand and use. It is very easy to ask a question and I always get prompt replies.
They have been very good to deal with, listen to my questions and concerns and work to improve the program where needed.

Pros

Easy transaction entries, I like the duplication of entry feature.
Reconciliation is easy and fast.
Great customer service
It's easy to do a transaction search

Cons

When integrating for each account, I have to keep making sure it's on the right account if I go from transaction to integration. It won't stay on the account I've been working on.
When I enter an online payment it puts it in the check register and I can't remove it from the list.

Melissa W.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Aplos is a great software and easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Pros

It's easy to use and they have great customer service. They are quick to respond to us and take our suggestions seriously.

Cons

There are a few features that are a little clunky and could use some updating to make it easier to navigate.

Janet W.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Easy to use accounting software for small churches...

Reviewed on 2016/12/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am happy with the ease of use for this accounting software. Our biggest complaint has been in the area of reporting. It is difficult to get the report info needed for our accountants. For some of the reports I have to export the data and manipulate it in excel to get Debit and Credit Columns on reports that would usually have that info. But, it is inexpensive and keeps the records accurately. So on a whole we are happy.

Pros

Cons

Reporting is not very detailed
You can not manipulate the reports to get info you need

Tyan H.
Industry: Religious Institutions

We are so pleased to find such a user-friendly, all encompasing donor and accounting database!

Reviewed on 2017/07/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We recommend it to everyone in nonprofit!

Pros

Very intuitive function and unlimited free technical support.
Aplos includes everything you need, from donor and volunteer communications to bank deposit batches and 990s. We love the functionality!

Cons

We love it! We don't have any complaints at this point. It would be nice to be able to synch it with other programs like Pay Pal, but not a big deal!

Industry: Religious Institutions

Good but would like a few features

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Overall, Aplos met our needs. We needed an accounting system that was easy to use and available online. It could have been even better if there were different role options.

Pros

It is easy to use and understand. Budgeting was a useful feature and transferring between various accounts was easy.

Cons

no different user profiles to help with internal controls. As the accountant, my role was to do the Bank recs to verify the treasurer. BUT I was able to make entries and the treasurer could do the bank recs.

Jimmy S.

Use Aplos to Manage Church Finances

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

It integrates donation management with accounting so I'm not having to use two systems. It's built specifically for non-profits.

Cons

I greatly dislike that I cannot have a desktop version because doing accounting transactions in a web-based portal means you have to be online and you need to prepare for each transaction to take a second to load. And they charge a premium to be able to access some functions that feel as basic as what is included in QuickBooks software.

Mary G.
Industry: Philanthropy

Aplos is great!

Reviewed on 2016/10/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Very happy with my purchase of Aplos Find Accounting software.

Pros

Tons of features
Easy to use for both accountants and non-accountants.
Excellent price.
Great support and customer service

Cons

None that I can find so far

Chris W.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use fund accounting

Reviewed on 2016/09/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Although this is a fully featured double-entry bookkeeping system, it is very easy for non-accountants to understand and use. It mostly avoids technical accounting terminology at both the input and reporting stages. The ability to link directly to a bank account saves a lot of time and makes bank reconciliation a breeze. This software is particularly useful to organisations who need to keep track of a number of different "funds". The support team respond quickly to any queries.

Cons

I would like more flexibility in reporting, in particular the ability to customize the layout of printed reports.

Industry: Accounting

Accounting for any Church

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

I appreciate how easy it is to navigate the interface.

Cons

I wish the graphs in the software's dashboard cam with richer customizations.

Adam S.
Industry: Environmental Services

I think this is good very good

Reviewed on 2015/02/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Especially pricing and quality, also the vendor's after service is very nice so I think we are very satisfied with this product.

Cons

Overall, I believe the product is pretty awesome so I rate the overall value of this product as good.

Renee R.

Aplos software for non profit corporation

Reviewed on 2017/01/04

I have used Aplos software for several years, in fact, I was one of their early customers and have been with them through many changes and updates. They are very quick to respond to questions and have been helpful in resolving any issues I have asked them about. I would not hesitate to recommend Aplos to other nonprofits.

Dan O.
Company size: Self Employed

Aplos Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2017/04/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Since we are a very small non-profit, we were offered a nice discount, which really helped.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to learn. Great customer support if you have questions. Designed to work with non-profits, which has helped me learn how to provide accounting support for our non-profit.

Cons

Haven't found anything yet. We do very basic stuff, and probably don't need a very complicated accounting system.

Patricia S.

I like using Aplos

Reviewed on 2014/08/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the church lingo, and it's easy to understand.

Cons

I haven't come across anything up to this point. We're only six months old at this point; maybe as time goes on, I'll have more to say.

Jennifer C.

Decent, Very good Customer Service

Reviewed on 2016/09/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

There customer service is phenomenal, they have multiple ways you can reach them.

Cons

It is not super user friendly, and can be kind of confusing. There have also been a few glitches with the way the system runs that have caused a few snags.

Keith L.

Mixed review

Reviewed on 2015/03/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Easy to use with free support and can be accessed anywhere online.

Cons

The monthly subscription price. I would prefer a flat price for the software.