Rental Essentials

Cloud-based rental store/inventory management software

4,3
4,4
Nazli R.

My Point of Rental Software story

Reviewed on 2018/11/05

I’ve been using Point of Rental Software since 2013 and I have absolutely using the software. The support staff is always there to help if you need them. I also really like the her help feature that allows you to read up on how to use the software.

Pros

Windows based
Support team
Integrated website

Cons

Still working out the French translation

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Nazli! We're glad you're enjoying the software and our support staff. As you might have heard, we're making a push to get more French-friendly, having added a few French-speaking support team members and a French Canadian salesperson! We look forward to when we're able to be as magnifique in French as we are in English. =)

Daryl S.
Industry: Events Services

Great software, even better support

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

Overall, we enjoy using POR. We have moved to POR six years ago and we wouldn't go anywhere else if we had to make the decision again.

Pros

This is the gold standard of rental software.
Their support is legendary.
They have many years of experience in the industry.
Most of their staff come from the rental industry
Their software is very feature rich (more than anything else I've ever seen.
They have a wonderful system to manage availability of rental items
They are very responsive to requested features from their users.
New features are being added to allow customers pay and ask for quotes online.
Data can be pulled into other software for analysis and reporting.

Cons

Their support quality has suffered as they have grown very quickly in the past few years.
It is legacy software which makes it a bit less user friendly and difficult to learn.
It is required to be run on a Remote Desktop server. So, the full functionality is not available easily on mobile devices.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Daryl!

We're glad to have you as a part of the Point of Rental family and we think you'll be excited about the direction we're taking the software in the future as we increase accessibility and focus on ease of use. We're also excited to see our new Pointers become the trusted experts that you love to talk to in the future because they're so knowledgeable. =)

David N.
Industry: Construction

This software is massively over priced and is not cut out for fence rentals.

Reviewed on 2018/05/18

There were no benefits whatsoever

Pros

The only positive of this system was the dispatch integration. This was a good system that functioned well with routing our trucks for their daily installations.

Cons

Way overpriced. If you are having reservations about the cost of this listen to your gut. System looks archaic. The architecture looks like software from the 1990's. The estimating process is slow and cumbersome. You are forced to enter a complete order by using a series of tabs instead of simply entering everything on one screen as in modern software. There are many quirks that slow you down as well as password and user ID issues, printing issues, etc. POR allows you to access the software in test mode before you purchase which we did. The problem is when you access in test mode you have no clue what you are looking at and you have no guidance from POR until you cut a check. A VERY LARGE CHECK. The on site training provided was done by a very knowledgeable guy but it was not enough to get us up and running with confidence. The biggest disappointment is that our company feels deceived. We were told that this would integrate with Quickbooks which it barely does. It will only tell quick books a lump sum of sales per day, nothing else. Our quick books really became useless to us. Our company was also told that there were other fence rental companies that used their product and that we'd be able to contact them to hear about their experience with POR. After making several requests for this info it was never provided. We assume that POR was lying about this.

Response from Point of Rental Software

David,

I apologize for taking so long to respond; I just got the email notification for this review from Capterra a little while ago.

We're sorry to hear you feel that way. When Tina posted her review, our support team sent emails to try to explain how to fix the issues she was having; since we didn't get a response and you're citing some of the same issues, perhaps those messages didn't get through?

We're committed to fixing the issues in the relationship between POR and Driven Fence as quickly as possible. One of our managers will be calling you this afternoon to try to help you get the most out of your software, advise on some best practices, and hopefully address your grievances.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Beverly S.

Best Decision Ever Made

Reviewed on 2019/03/25

When we started with POR, I was posting all of our invoices to a general journal by hand! There was not enough hours in the day! POR gave me back a quality to my life. As a business, we have grown to two stores in 2009. POR helped us with that expansion. Thank God! Now both stores run smoothly through this system. When there is a problem, I pay for the yearly support and they are just a phone call away. I can usually get someone to remote in and walk me through a mistake or make me understand why the computer's accounting system did what it did. I have neither a degree in accounting or computer science but there are times when this program makes me feel like I'm a genius! It really is well thought out. The original owners always tested the new stuff in their rental store. The current owner grew up in a rental store. It is a program for the rental industry by people who new the rental industry, inside and out.

Pros

User friendly, very helpful support staff, constantly innovating to keep up with the times. Our business has grown volumes since we first purchased POR software in 2005. I cannot imagine what a nightmare my bookwork would be without this program! I l agonized with my husband in 2005 over what software to go with as it is an invstment, not one that you would throw away every two years and jump to a different software. We are so happy we chose POR!!! Great program, great people, will stay with this company forever!!!

Cons

I don't really have any complaints about the software. If I could change one thing it would be that some of the support staff from all of these years we have been with POR would not get older and retire!! We miss [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and all of the oldies but goodies! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] don't ever leave! You are the anchor in every storm! You are what every member on your support team should aspire to be!!

Response from Point of Rental Software

Hi Beverly! Thank you for all your kind words and we're sorry we didn't get to see this review until today! We're glad you're a part of the Point of Rental family and we're definitely working to keep Earl around as long as he continues to enjoy being here. =)

Industry: Machinery

Equipment Rental Store Owner

Reviewed on 2019/03/20

Point of Rental is the central hub for our business, and is where we do nearly 100% of our day-to-day tasks. There is no better dedicated product on the market for a rental business, but be aware that not all of the additional features are worth the price of admission.

Pros

Point of Rental is basically handling every facet of a rental business, from time clock to inventory to depreciation to reservations and missed rental tracking.

Cons

The software has clearly been added to and modified over time, and the UI is uneven and inconsistent in many places. Many of the modules have only very basic functionality or are overly complicated to use.

Response from Point of Rental Software

We're glad you're continuing to enjoy the software - we feel that one of the advantages to having so many additional features is that it allows you to only add the features that will be worth it for your business (with thousands of businesses using the software, there are going to be a lot of differing requirements).

That said, if you have recommendations for improvements in any modules, you can either submit them via uInnovate (link found in your software) or contact us directly at [email protected] and we'll see what we can do!

Thanks for being a part of the Point of Rental family and for providing solid feedback!

Christina P.
Industry: Events Services

Great experience, always something new to learn.

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

Staying on the forefront of technology, we are able to stay ahead of our competitors and provide our customers with professional services. The enhanced technologies allows us to better track our inventory and communicate easier in and around the organization. This software is the lifeline of our business.

Pros

I love how the company is continuously updating their programs and new technology is always being introduced to us consumers.

Cons

There is an additional cost to every facet of the system, but in the long run well worth the investment.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for your feedback, Christina! We're glad to have you as part of the POR family!

Arden S.

Been using it a few years, really helped us to modernize

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

Pros

Ease of use and ability to understand it is fairly easy. The set up is very user friendly, even our oldest employee has found it easy to use.

Cons

Communication bewteen multiple stores can be improved. Sometimes when calling in for support I feel they aren't as trained as they could be.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thank you for providing that feedback, Arden. We'll get the new support staff spun up quickly on the software and get you back to the level of knowledgeable service you expect from Point of Rental. Thanks for being a part of the POR family!

Matt C.

This software rocks

Reviewed on 2018/11/05

Pros

Ease of use, inventory management, website management, customer service is awesome.

Cons

This software has a lot of reports and analytics, a simpler way to navigate would be great.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Matt!

We're glad you're enjoying your Point of Rental experience. Have you heard of our new Report Finder, which came out a couple weeks ago? I think you're going to love its ability to help you see what each report does and where to find it. All you have to do is tell it what you want to know! =)

Ralph S.
Industry: Government Administration
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Ease and Efficiency

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

There is so much I’m not doing that POR can help with, and I love figuring more out to make our job easier each day

Pros

Dispatch Center for routing trucks efficiently and tracking our staff throughout each day

Cons

Things I like least continue to be worked on and improved

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Ralph! We're glad to hear about your experience with Dispatch Center and to hear that our team is always working to meet your needs. Thanks for joining us at the International Conference!

Heather W.

we LOVE Point of Rental

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

So incredibly impressed with the quality of product and people they are putting out. GO POR!

Pros

Their customer service team is incredibly helpful and friendly. Calling them is never a chore.

Cons

It's not the prettiest, but it doesn't have to be.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Heather! And don't worry, your software is going to get prettier in the future. =) Thanks for being a part of the Point of Rental family!

Dkeith G.

POR, A life saver

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

One of the reasons that we purchased rental software was to keep track of the maintenance schedules on the machines and this software is excellent. You can set-up your desired intervals and the program will prompt you to do the work. Our system is so much better with POR. Thanks!

Pros

The software from POR is the most comprehensive that I considered and I looked at several. They have so many features that they should offer a college course just to teach you all the features. The dashboard is easy to understand and the performance of the information to help the facility to track every aspect of the business is great. They are helpful when you have a question, if there is some part of the program that you have yet to utilized. POR is a great company for the rental industry.

Cons

There are some modules that they require you to purchase if you want to have the ability to perform those functions, it would be nice if everything was included from the beginning.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Keith!

We do have our version of a college course at our International Conference each year, where there are three days of training on nearly every aspect of the software (as well as one-on-one face-to-face time with our trainers), if you'd like to come down to Fort Worth in November. =)

We make many of our features optional because there are thousands of rental stores using Point of Rental and lots of them don't need all the features - we try to give you the option to get only the features you need so you're not buying more than you want.

We're glad you're enjoying what you have and we'd love to see you at our International Conference this year! Thanks for being a part of the Point of Rental family.

Wendy B.
Industry: Retail

Best rental software out there

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

We have been using POR since 1998. Earl came out to set us up and we knew then that this was the best decision for our company. They always make you feel like you are part of their large family. I have had things come up (not necessarily with the software) and would call the support line for help and they are on it. If they don't have an immediate answer, you can know they are working on it immediately to help solve your problem. Great company to work with.

Pros

My first pro is the STAFF - always helpful and never make you feel like you are asking a dumb questions. Second, I love how that the software is user friendly. Third, the software has so much to offer. So whether you are a big firm or a very small firm like myself this software is a must.

Cons

I wish they were a little closer so I could go to conferences and training that they hold. Not that this is there fault - but it is the only Con I can come up with.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Wendy! Sorry about the location issue - we'd love to have you down for the International Conference. (If you register early then you can save enough on registration that it'll cover some of the travel costs! =D)

We appreciate having you and Murray's Tool Rental as part of the Point of Rental family, too. =)

Eric S.
Company size: Self Employed

Nice interface, poor customer support

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

I really want to like this application/software as is is easy to use and well though through, but there are many glaring issues that are driving me to look elsewhere.

Pros

The interface is nice, clean, and easy to navigate. Once familiar the the software, set up was pretty easy and strait forward. Provided many features which our business needed including rental bundles.

Cons

No easy way to quickly look at availability for the coming week. I found this frustrating when I had a customer on the phone and we wanted to get a snapshot of availability. Customer support is awful if you are not one of their Expert or Elite customers. I only have the Essentials package and the one person I actually got a hold of said she could not help me and to send an email. I had already set two before this call to no avail. The funny thing is I want to add features and possibly switch to a different/higher package. I am also not impressed with their website integration. I have my own wordpress site and all they offer is an iframe. This is not an integration, it is placing another website on a page in your website. They really need to work on providing better integration.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Hi Eric! Thanks for the (mostly) positive review. Item availability is most easily accessed via the item screen - you can see availability not just for the week, but for the entire month of each item you rent. Hopefully that helps!

Essentials' customer service is comparable to that of other cloud-based rental softwares; part of what makes the software so affordable is that customer service is entirely web-based. That said, you should be receiving responses to emails within a day (depending on when you send the email; usually it'll take less time).

If you'd like to switch packages, add features, or just check out a demo, our sales team is back from our annual conference and would be happy to work with you to figure out how to get us back on track. -Brian

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kyle T.

Innovative and reliable

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

We could not run our business efficiently without all of the integral products that are included in Point of Rental. All of these products combine to create THE singular solution for our rental business.

Pros

Continuing to innovate and improve the product continually. Always looking to improve the software but specifically with the input and through the lens of the rental operator and end user.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that there are minimal choices for external integrations.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for your review and for being a part of the Point of Rental family, Kyle!

Kara S.
Industry: Events Services

Easy to use; incredible customer support

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Pros

Point of Rental is constantly seeking feedback and taking ideas on areas to improve which they take very seriously. It has been very rewarding seeing small tweaks made that can really make a difference on the daily for out team and the users. I am in this software every single work day for most of the day and it is extremely easy to navigate as well as train new employees on its use. We particularly love being able to call in and get remote help on questions that are difficult to explain or navigate verbally.

Cons

Every now and then we run into issues where our emails sent out send out blank or as a partial message to the client. We also run into malfunctions or error messages occasionally, but those are usually resolved quickly by running a quick update. Overall, we are very satisfied with this product.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Kara! We're glad you're enjoying the software and to have you as part of the Point of Rental family!

Walter B.

Point-of-Rental_Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Pros

Point of Rental will answer the phone anytime of the day or night with their own employees to help with any problems that you might have. Not only are there a million reports we can run but the system is also very easy to use and train people to use.

Cons

if we want to add functions to the system to taylor them to our needs it is hard to get that done.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Hi Walter! Thanks for the kind words! We're glad you're enjoying the system and of course we'd love to make all the changes customers request - but when you have more than 5,000 customers, you get a lot of requests for tailored features. =)

Are you using uInnovate to suggest ideas so your fellow rental experts can vote on them? That's the easiest way for us to see which customizations should be a priority so we can keep making the best, most beneficial possible software for everyone.

Thanks again for being a part of the Point of Rental family and we look forward to working with you to help you and Taylor Rental be as successful as possible. =)

Greg G.
Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Best software we have used.

Reviewed on 2018/11/05

The ease of new employees learning of the software is a great bonus, and the level of detail and constant improvement provided is great. Our old system was hard to learn on and did not provide same level of reporting as point of rental does.

Pros

Easy to use, very helpful staff and the level of detail within the product is what we like most. I love that they listen to their users and provide updates based on that feedback.

Cons

Reporting options can be challenging to learn, but usually there are multiple ways to get to same report, just takes some time to figure it out.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Greg! We're glad you're enjoying your Point of Rental experience. You might also be happy to learn about our recent addition to NetHelp, Report Finder. It catalogs all of our reports with an explanation of what each report is and where you can find it. All you have to do is search for what you want to know and Report Finder will find all the relevant reports. =)

Brian E.

Best Software I have ever dealt with

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

After dealing with rental software for 15+ years, we made the change to POR and I can't believe how good they are. I regret not making the switch 10 years earlier.

POR is rental specific and they have made our process very seamless. THE best in the industry!!

Pros

Everything!!! Value, ease of operation, reports, functionality, service second to none

Cons

If I have to point our something...They are in Texas and we are in Georgia. So we are operating a couple of hours before they arrive...but they have always had an "early bird" on call to answer the simple technical questions.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Brian! We're glad to have had you as part of the Point of Rental family for so long and we're excited to continue to work with you and Northeast Georgia Rentals (even if it means we have to come in early =) )!

Julie R.

I've been using POR for about 2-3 years. I learn more functions weekly. Very happy with the product!

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Pros

Functionality is amazing. Learning weekly!
We are definitely not using POR in all manners, so much to learn! Love the customer service and always willing to help us.

Cons

I wish delivery costs were able to be calculated by entering zip codes and not regions. I'd like to be able and type in where the delivery begins and where it ends to calculate the cost, especially since we have 2-3 store locations.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Hi Julie! We're glad you're enjoying the software! I have good news for you as well: You are able to calculate delivery costs by entering zip codes and, in the 2017 version (which you have), you're even able to charge by the mile. If you have any questions how to do that, you can call our support staff and they'll help you out. We're glad to have you as part of the Point of Rental family!

Cindy S.

Point of Rental Rental Essentials

Reviewed on 2019/03/20

From 1-10. 10 being amazing...they are a 100 😊

Pros

I came to Point of Rental when my ow EXPENSIVE rental system crashed big time. Without my system, and found out just how poor customer service was with their competitor I was ready to give up. Then we heard of Point of Rental. Apprehensive we moved slowly with lots of hands on before deciding. Best advice I can give, DO IT. Do not wait. Best decision I have ever made.

Cons

I love my Tech Support person, She knows the ins and outs and I am so blessed by her service. I do feel the other Tech support people can take the lead from rep.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for the kind words, Cindy! We're glad to have you as part of the Point of Rental family. =)

Tim S.

Versatile software

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

We have already solved alot of our issues using point of rental and looking forward to use the future to updates to help us take it to the next level

Pros

I like how many options there are with the software. I alsonoike the way we can have a say so in new features of the software.

Cons

Dont like inspection/Workforce. They both needs some features to make them a complete app.

Sometimes I also feel that you have to click to many windows to go through some of the options.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks for reviewing us and for helping ensure we'll continue to innovate, Tim! We're glad you're with us and we look forward to helping East Tennessee Rent-Alls "take it to the next level" as we add features to our apps based on your (and our other users') feedback.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Andre C.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Extremely happy with PoR. Excellent support from both the IT department and the support staff

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

Inventory sharing is great. We still have issues with the accounting aspect but mainly caused because we are new at using the software. Quick and easy to get information on a specific store. Also nice to have access to the databases. Reports are great as well.

Pros

The software is extremely easy to use. Training is less than 3 days. We like the inventory sharing as well.

Cons

Dispatch center needs to be upgraded. The maps are outdated and it is extremely difficult to route routes when you have to pick up equipment at different sites. The logistic tickets does not work for us. In many places in the software the system does not keep the filters or sort whenever coming in and out. The administration of users is really hard for us as we have over 500 employees. Not easy to find the user as you need to scroll down until you find the proper user.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thank you for that feedback, Andre! We appreciate your input, as it helps us guide the future of our software - we look forward to working with you to overcome the obstacles you're facing now and make the benefits even better!

Dustin J.

Point of Rental has increased our workflow 10X.

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

Pros

Our rental division Venue Services uses Point Of Rental Cloud version on a daily basis. The software keeps track of inventory, deliveries and pickups, and flow logistics. We like the inventory feature the best as it will notify us if we don't have any rentals items avail or enough of an item that specific day.

Cons

Point of Rental Cloud version is still growing. We wish it had a better yearly and monthly calendar view to see more events instead of just weekly view.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Dustin!

We're glad you're enjoying Rental Essentials. With our next update, you should be able to see your reservations using Google Calendar (hopefully that helps!), and we're developing long-term calendars within the software in a way that would work for all of our customers.

We're glad to have you with us and we look forward to helping Venue Services further as we continue to add features!

Amy G.
Industry: Construction

We wouldn't be able to run our business without it!

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

As an expanding business, Point of Rental have been able to support us on our journey and implement processes which has streamlined our business, and made managing multiple depots easier.

Pros

Everything, we love the fact that the software is constantly developing and that there is a collaborative approach with our company, nothing is too much trouble and all suggestions are taken on-board developed into the product quickly and efficiently!

Cons

Nothing! All updates and feedback is taken on board so we can't fault!

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Amy, for the kind words. We're glad to have you and the team at Site Equip in the Point of Rental family - we love watching our customers' businesses expand!

Peter C.

#1 Software for a Rental Company

Reviewed on 2018/11/05

Our Experience has been a good one . POR is always adding and growing. They listen to their users and make changes to improve the Customer experience and keep above the competition.

Pros

Windows base. We can do most changes ourselves .
We have been in business for over 40 years . Over the years we have used Solutions by Computer and Wynn ( RentalMan ) . POR is by far the Best and easiest to use.

Cons

No Back office side. But even still it is by far the BEST Software.

Response from Point of Rental Software

Thanks, Peter! We're glad you're enjoying your time with Point of Rental so much and we look forward to helping you enjoy it more with each update. =)