SchoolMint

4,4
4,7
Peggy A.
Industry: Education Management

This is our 2nd year using SchoolMint for re-enrollment and I love how it's streamlined the process!

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

It has streamlined my process so much that I only need a little help now! Once we get all of our forms figured out and set up, it will be even easier! And once everyone gets used to the fact that they can use the spreadsheet and no longer need to have the paper in their hand, it will cut down on even more time and paper waste.

Pros

The ease in communicating with our entire school community. The ability to sort and download the information. The ease in which we can conduct our lotteries, and sort and organize our waitlist. The quick reaction time for customer support when small issues arise. The ability to build our own forms to our own specs so we can collect information for our specific needs and state requirements. The companies quick and open response to suggestions from and accommodations for their clients. And the overall respect with which they treat their clients. This all contributes to the whole sense of family and a caring community.

Cons

I only wish they also supported a database!
The most difficult thing about having online paperwork is making sure everyone has access and knowledge on how to use it. SchoolMint is wonderful about helping the families with issues, but they can't help with everyone having access! :)

Sherry K.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

We have been using Smart Choice for many years and their products have exceeded our expectations!

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

I love all the customized aspects that meet our specific needs. Love the scheduling feature!
Most of all, I love the customer support!!!

Pros

We use Smart Choice for our online applications and lotteries and recently added their services for permits, which is going great! I love the customer support. The reps are always quick and responsive to even the smallest issue and if my rep is unavailable, someone else responds on her behalf right away. Working collaboratively with the reps and developers is my favorite thing - no question goes unanswered, I can't say enough about how important and impressive that is.
One of my favorite features which is absolutely worth the money is the scheduling feature!! What a time saver and so easy to use!
I also love that I can create my own deliverables and customize how I use them.
The lotteries have worked very well for us and we have a lot of custom priorities that the system handles very well.

Cons

Like the other reviewers, I feel that creating reports is the most tedious and unintuitive part of the system. Lots and lots of trial and error in that area. We can finally duplicate a report which is helpful to a least have some of the info already available when creating a new report. Luckily the reps and develops are helpful, but I would like to be able to do more of it myself. Now that we use Smart Choice for our permits in addition to our lottery, it is a little confusing go and back and forth between the newer permit system and the old lottery system. It would be nice if they were they same.
A minor thing I don't like in the new system, is that I can't see the parent notes without clicking on them, in the old system I could see all of the notes at the same time.
Another thing that would be helpful is to be able to sort by more than one column header while looking at the application management page. Filters are useful for the most part, but sometimes the extra layer of sorting would be helpful.

Jennie B.
Industry: Education Management

Mostly good, not great, customer service could be better

Reviewed on 2017/07/19

We managed our lottery efficiently and the subsequent offers of space.

Pros

Easy to setup, easy to communicate with various groups, fairly intuitive. Forms are simple to put together but a little but limited in what you can do.

Cons

Reporting is so-so, I wish it were more customizable. The search feature is limited (you can't search for a parent name). If you want to export your data into your SIS system - good luck, it takes them a month to create the file!

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Stefani P.

Amazing! Our school administration and campus registrars love it!

Reviewed on 2017/06/19

Pros

It is 100% online. This alone has saved our campuses many hours in going through paper applications and parents can chose more than 1 school at the same time without having to complete a new paper application.

I love the conditional formatting, scheduling of messages and the defaulting of today's date enhancements added this year.

We are able to get incoming students set up very quickly for testing or find potential needs for students earlier by collecting the information earlier in the process than we have in the past since the forms are so easy to use online.

Wonderful tool to collect enrollment data and create projections when we start year 3. This helps locate the grades of greatest needs so we can concentrate marketing in the locations and grades we need as well.

Cons

No way to stop users from creating multiple accounts year to year when they cannot remember their password or username - I have parents with 3 user names for 1 student and 3 siblings with different usernames. We send them the username in all communication, but parents still create new accounts!
We would really love a view only or a way for certain groups to be able to print their own forms, such as Nurses or principals. We would not want them having the ability to make any changes, but if they could look at the information and print out anything pertaining to their department, then this would eliminate the need for the registrar to do it for them.
The feeder campuses and administration would love a way to see which campus the re-enrolled student came from the prior year. For example, the Junior High campus cannot see which elementary campus the re-enrolled student came from. Since we are open boundaries, there are 5 elementaries that feed into 2 different junior highs. But the student can pick either junior high. So to get the records to the right school, I have to go through and find the info student by student since I have full access.

Lila S.

Smart Choice is highly customize-able, which works great for our company!

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

My favorite feature of Smart Choice is the parent portal. This feature allows me to have an excellent understanding and overall view of the parent experience, as well as insight to help parents troubleshoot any issues they are experiencing. The software is highly-customize-able, which works for our organization. There hasn't been any system upgrades we have requested that they are not able to do. I like that we have one contact for support. I am willing to sacrifice a support line for our one contact of support because she has a comprehensive understanding of how we use the software and is always able to follow along quickly with our issues and requests.

Cons

The most difficult part of Smart Choice is filtering the data and building reports. The reporting feature only allows for "and" filters. It would be nice to have the option of "or" filters. I wish Smart Choice, on the back-end, had a more updated look-and-feel. It kind of feels like I am in my high school portal from 10 years ago. I also found it difficult to figure out how to create field dependencies when creating form steps. Once you understand how it works, you can replicate the steps, however, it is not intuitive at first and there was a lot of trial and error.

Katie M.

It has provided our school with an efficient way of organizing our entire enrollment process.

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

Pros

* Interest Tracker feature *Automated emails/text messaging *Great Customer Support team *Each student profile/dashboard keeps gives both the parent and our staff easy access to up-to-date application/registration information *Notes feature allows users to know what other staff actions have already been taken on a student--which helps with communications between departments *Electronic Signatures and uploads *Online Teacher Recommendations are very important to us as it speeds up the process of getting feedback on applicants. *Cut costs on printing *Integrates with Powerschool *Lessens transcribing errors *Time/Money saved on Data entry *Up-to-Date enrollment numbers/reports

Cons

*Still learning how to make this work for a private school that requires a different process. *There have been several software issues/errors that have come up delaying numerous applications and therefore affecting our school's customer service response time. *Pay feature-needs promo code *Application doesn't auto save progress *Doesn't save the whole application when you hit submit at the end of the application

Diane B.
Industry: Education Management

SchoolMint is the cutting edge of enrollment and registration software.

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

SchoolMint has taken our application, lottery and registration to a new level. They have streamlined every aspect of the process. Our school now has opportunities to expand and grow in ways that were unlikely even just a few years ago, in part thanks to SchoolMint.

Pros

SchoolMint's customer service is the best I have ever encountered. Each question is answered quickly, thoughtfully, and with kindness. Their technical expertise is matched by their humanity, patience and good humor. SchoolMint is truly a partner in our school's success and growth.

Cons

There are certain aspects of our school that have evolved because of our unique circumstances. There are still a handful of minor issues in the registration process that we have had to work around. SchoolMint has taken note of our difficulties and is exploring ways to meet our needs more fully in the future.

Kristina C.

Professional and quality service.

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Instead of having multiple systems, all of the information I need is in one spot.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the versatility of the system. It can be customized to fit the needs of your company.

Cons

The only negative I have is the reporting aspect. Creating a report is difficult and many times I have to rely on the customer service to create the reports on my behalf (which they do efficiently and in a timely manner).

Kim D.

Very impressed with the customization of the product to suit our needs

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

The best part of the software is being able to customize it. It has also been a great tool to collaborate many organizations into one.

Cons

Parts of the back end are not user friendly or understandable to everyday individuals. I've been able to tweak things by having an understanding of technology.

Adrina B.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Smart Choice Technologies Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Their customer service has been great! Their team works hard to customize their system to fit your needs. I have truly enjoyed working with our Senior Account Manager. She has been such a huge help and resource in learning and navigating the system.

Pros

We introduced this system this year to our school district. It is very user friendly. The Smart Choice team did a great job of customizing the system to fit the needs of our district.

Cons

I honestly like all the aspects of the software. If there was an area that I thought could be improved, the Smart Choice team did a great job of customizing the system to include the suggested improvement.

Holly M.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The system is simple and easy to use, but it seems there are glitches from time to time.

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

It's customizable - we can make the system work for our needs (e.g. create our own deliverables and reports).
Back-end access allows us to create analytics and data visualizations to meet organization's goals.
Customer support is prompt and usually provides quick resolution time.
The price for the product is great.
The system is scalable and has accommodated the growth of our organization.

Cons

The firefly gadget is not user-friendly and does not support formatting easily, which makes it difficult to create website content that looks clean and professional.
The letter feature does not support formatting easily.
The system glitches too frequently, leading to problems with data management (e.g. application priorities improperly tagged, lots of unintended consequences when updating data - which might be due to the way the system is structured in terms of students, programs, applications, etc.)

Heather K.

Smart Choice Technologies Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Again, our school is small and the program is huge so it's a bit overwhelming. Everyone has been very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly when I've needed them and things have been done to our liking in a very timely manner.

Pros

There are many things this program can do. I like the automatic emails that get sent out. I like the visual graphs. I like the ability to customize most everything and add all the info we want to receive from parents.

Cons

It's almost too big for our smaller school. Feels like there are too many steps for parents to take from creating a log in to registering. A lot of things are being over looked and skipped and assumed by parents. Wish things could be just a bit more simple or user friendly for parents. On the back end, I wish it was more user friendly as well. It gets really confusing sometimes with all the options and log ins etc. There are a lot of features that are available that we are choosing not to use so when I search for something to customize, It's not always apparent where it is or what it does or if I'm doing it right. I don't like the fact that I have to schedule a convo with my rep when I want to chat about something right away.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Stephanie M.

Best customer service

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

We can manage 2000 students' applications with ease and in a timely manner.

Pros

The software is intuitive and well-organized. Our district intakes 1700 applications from 2000 students. Even in our first year using it, there were no hiccups. Most important, the customer service is second-to-none. Requests are recognized immediately and addressed in a timely manner. The level of customization is terrific. This system does everything we need it to. I cannot recommend it enough.

Cons

I really can't say anything negative - we are truly pleased with all aspects of the SmartChoice platform.

Christine G.

The system increased efficiency of the District's open enrollment process.

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

provide for an autonomous lottery process, decreased phone calls, allows parents to control application

Cons

the main page of the application management site should have the applications easier to use to track - wish this site had the applications numbered

Christine G.

SM is easy to use and captures all the data needed for applications, communication, enrollment.

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

Pros

The student enrollment summary is reviewed daily, the easy function to export families information, data, charts, map of where student applications are coming from, the ability to use SM fields for enrollment forms, and RSVP tracker.

Cons

Email communication design could be improved, easy search for family emails, and rsvp tracker on each application not just in the rsvp section.

Olivia I.

School Mint

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/05/22

We are reducing paper usage thereby helping the environment. We are cutting down time parents spend in the school office waiting to register their students. It provides ease and convenience for busy parents.

Pros

School Mint Was an easy and effective way to transition our student registration and documentation process to an online format.

Cons

Depending on parent education level and flexibility. Some found it tedious to upload the required documents for school registration. They needed a mind shift and the necessary tools on their electronic devices. Parent reports that there were a lot of pages to navigate through.

Tori H.

SchoolMint is beyond user-friendly. It is so intuitive and easy to use for both admin & families

Reviewed on 2017/06/29

Pros

The ability to easily customize the lottery application and registration forms. You don't even really need the training support to figure it out.

Cons

I would like to be able to run more reports with customized features. For example, we poll our families about aftercare needs on the registration form. I would like to be able to see the responses ordered, etc.

João R.

Smart Choice Technologies | Admissions made easier

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/02/05

I was introduced to Smart Choice Technologies when working on a project and I have to say that it really impressed me and helped me sort out applications and making sure everything worked out well, and it did a good job at that. I definitely recommend it.

Pros

Smart Choice Technologies is the smart choice to make if you want to make your life easier when it comes to applications and wait lists for schools. It allows you to provide an online platform to you applicants, and easier management of everything involving said applications, making it a great tool for making sure you have the best possible experience.

Cons

Other than the fact that you have to pay for it, I don't have anything negative to say here. It's a great tool and the price is reasonable for what it offers.

Todd H.

Best customer service and value of any company I've ever worked with.

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

Pros

SchoolMint has completely revolutionized the ways that we recruit, enroll, and conduct a lottery. In year one of working with SchoolMint we saw ROI in our first 6 months and have remodeled how we work with families. We are no longer chasing paper, but instead focus on productive outreach and onboarding of new families.

Megan S.

Smart Choice has allowed us to streamline our lottery and enrollment process seamlessly.

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

Ability to set parameters around lotteries and use of features. Ease of use for grade levels, multiple school accounts dashboards to review easily.

Cons

Assisting parents in setting up their accounts to select multiple school choices simultaneously. Bugs which arise feel frequent, however developers are quick to respond.

Jaciel C.

Exceptional, user-friendly software for student recruitment and enrollment

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

Dashboards, Mapping application, Family-Centered Profiles, ease of communications via email and text, tags and sorting of the database, ease of tracking leads from events.

Cons

reports need work, does not allow for mass self-data imports, the text editor is simple and requires thorough editing on Word before pasting from a document.

Shirley M.

The overall process of re-enrollment and registration is great. However, reporting needs flexibility

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

Quick access to parents and easy to track and verify data.

Pros

It is easy for parents and I am able to track items quickly. I love the automation of emails so that I can follow-up. I also like the notes. I would wish there was a privacy section on notes so that parents could see some notes but not view others.

Cons

Their is no custom reports that I can use. I don't want to have to pay for custom reports on data that has already been collected. At least the csv export download could ask for what fields we want to pull.

Mary R.

Great for first time users. Horrible to update!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/05/23

Clear registration to schools, simple organization for school paperwork, and multiple kids listed in one place.

Pros

The organization of information and presentation is simple. It lends to being great for getting away from paperwork. Parents can interact with both the website or the application. If kids are going to multiple schools registration and acceptance are easily accessed and clear.

Cons

Attempting to update information has to be done per individual in the household with no option for everyone to update at the same time. Also, updating the students information does not mean the school gets that information appropriately. Customer service is not friendly and very automated.

Mae M.

Excellent Customer Service

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/22

We are a charter school and use Smart Choice to manage our lottery and registration. The customer service is amazing! I never have to wait for assistance and they are always friendly and efficient!

Pros

It's fairly intuitive and well designed.

Cons

It logs out quicker than I would like if not active in it.

Leigh F.

We are very happy with our purchase of the Smart Choice software.

Reviewed on 2018/06/04

Pros

The ease of use of the parent portal, the ease of use of the administrator portal, the dashboard at the login screen, and the many customizable features.

Cons

The report builder is difficult to use. I find that building the queries and knowing which display fields to use is not intuitive at all.