Hero Reviews

Hero

Student behavior management software for K-12 schools

4.6/5 (130 reviews)
Edgar R.

We have gained momentun in shifting the culture at our campus and building a positive community.

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

We have increased the engagment in the classroom and are reducing the negative actions. Students are getting used to the positive expectations. We are facilitating more rather than responsing to negative behavior.

Pros

We like the fact that it is web based and we can access it from anywhere. As as administrator, it is a great way to interact with students and give them points at the same time. At lunch, they see us taking our phones out and they know we are issuing points! They sure have their ID ready to scan! Teachers love it because they can now recognize students for displaying positive behavior in the classroom. It is starting to encourage students that would not likely participate be an active member of the classroom. It is easy enough to use that, teachers that are hesitant to use this new technology, are adapting positively. The equipment is simple to use also. Students love the incentives, teachers like being recognized for using it (ie. lunch on the principal), and parents are stating that their child talk about HERO K-12 at home. This year we are opening our VIP Lounge. Our campus is only going to get better. Overall it is fantastic!!! You can follow us on Twitter to see what is trending at our campus at #ccmsthisishowwedoit or #ccmsbethat1person.

James B.

Students have responded for me in an extremely positive way.

Great Classroom Control!!!

Pros

I love that the program rewards positive behaviors and changes the climate of my classroom. I have almost eliminated all classroom disruption. I do not have to do anything to keep my classroom under control. I actually have students that volunteer to do things that they would never have done before. I actually have students who stay behind and clean up my room and organize papers to get those valuable HERO points!!!

Cons

For several months, I wanted the ability to edit the program for my school. Some things were not working properly, but it was due to administration in action and not a fault of the program itself.

I do wish that the photo scanner would be upgraded. It is difficult to scan ID tags with the app open.

Jamila I.

wonderful

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

The benefits inlcude positive feedback, rewards, and motivation for the students.

Pros

What I like most about the site is it makes it easy for me to complete my challenges in order to get the free stuff. It also allows me to give positive feedback to my students. I like the fact that the software makes it convienient. The school is able to implement a program that is helpful for students and the staff. The principal is able to take time to give positive feedback to the students as well. The students are able to gain stuff for behaving in school. It's difficult to always focus on teh negative in the school. The software allows me to focus on the positivie.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about the software. The software has been easy to work and very manageable to the school. The software makes it easy for teachers, administrators, parents, and students to see thier progress. It may be easier if the software wasn't just a browser, but also an app that can be easily accessed. The app can be easily accessible on the computer, cellphone, or any other smart device.

Kathleen H.

We use Hero K12 at our school to encourage the students in good behavior as well as being on time.

Reviewed on 2017/07/25

It helps to motivate my students in forming good classroom behavior habits. The students are rewarded for getting to the classroom on time and for being prepared to learn in a number of different ways. The students earn points for exhibiting good habits/behavior which they use to earn admission to a special activity about twice every 9 week grading period.

Pros

Hero K12 is ab;e and willing to customize the system to the desires and needs of the individual school. This helps us in creating the system that supports the goals and aims of our leadership team.

Cons

It will sometimes take a while for a new student to show up in the system. This may actually be due to our district's system interface with Hero K12.

I really enjoy using HERO.

Reviewed on 2017/12/11

The students like when I am monitoring the kindergarten hallway and tell them that they are going to get a point. Once I comment on one kindergarten students excellent behavior and tell them that they are going to get a point everyone shapes up immediately. I wish there was a way to display all kindergarten students on a tablet by class, so I could quickly give them a point based on teacher and first name specifically for monitoring the hallway and I also think this would be an excellent tool for our cafeteria staff.

Pros

I like that I can select my whole class then deselect the students that did not earn the points. I also like that I can reward my students at the end of the week for their positive behavior. I also think it is great that I am able to use the app on my cell phone, so I am able to award points to students that are not in my class as I monitor the halls in the morning.

Cons

When I select my whole class then deselect those students that did not display that behavior, I wish I could adjust the level of points earned for each student between 1 to 5.

Scot M.

I use Hero in my classroom every day. Students earn Hero points for meeting classroom expectations.

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

My school has seen major reductions in tardies and increases in positive behavior. I use Hero to motivate my students to follow my classroom procedures, to do well on tests and quizzes, and to do the little extra things that help everyone to get along as a group.

Pros

Hero has provided my school with a mechanism to incentivize positive behavior by students. The culture change has been dramatic. Our tardies are way down and our students look for ways to do the right thing. The combination of web access and a mobile app makes Hero convenient to use in the classroom.

Cons

The user interface on the website is not very efficient. The alphabetical listing in rows instead of columns makes it slow and inconvenient to find student names. The need to enter information on three separate pages, each of which is often slow to load, makes it time-consuming to enter points.

James B.

HERO has changed the way that I manage my classroom.

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

This program allows me to give positive and negative points based on student behavior. Students can cash out their points for rewards from the front office. It also allows me to track and monitor problem students and focus on them for interventions.

Cons

The report generators could use a lot of help. Sometimes I would like to narrow my searches. The current program does not allow for that.

Sitembiso N.

Hero is easy to use and allows the user to be specific about what the hero points are for.

Reviewed on 2017/12/11

Hero enables easy classroom management. Students tend to exhibit positive behaviors because the point-system is a reinforcer of positive behaviors while reducing unwanted behaviors. Inadvertently, hero enables the inculcation of positive interactions among students and adults, and the development of social skills necessary for students to function as responsible citizens both locally and globally.

Pros

I like that I can target specific behavior by rewarding positive behaviors through a point system.

Cons

I can not give the points in retrospect. At the end of the day, if I did not get time to award the points, I cannot go back to do so.

Manuela M.

The system that all have access to is easy to use and award points but accessing data our way hard

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

I like that the program allows us to provide staff with parameters while still allowing us the flexibility to let them individualize according to their needs and desires.

Cons

I don't like that it is currently not compatible with our Aeries because it would facilitate data recording and allow us to focus on the positive aspects that Hero allows for. I also would like it if we were able to access usage data in a percentile format i.e. we have staff with smaller number of students they see per day compared to others and awarding points each period but when I run report, their numbers are significantly smaller because it is based on total points awarded NOT percentile of points awarded .

7.0/10
Cassandra R.

Early Bird points

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

I really like it. The students want to have avatars though instead of ID pictures.

Pros

The early bird points are easy to give for students that arrive on time for class. I have seen students arrive promptly to get points. Rewarding punctuality often deters tardiness.

Cons

I really wish the app scanning feature didn't stick and I could easily scan students at the door upon entry.

Shatanner M.

PBIS easy as pie with Hero!

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

With HERO our school can track behaviors that we must address and with our PBIS system operating in an efficient manner, we can reward promptly.

Pros

So easy to track our school's behaviors and the technical support responds immediately. I appreciate being able to read outcomes of schools nationwide who are experiencing success with Hero.

Cons

At this time the single complaint that I am experiencing is probably updates with the system as on occasion, I am unable to access from the school computer, yet am able to access from my personal phone.

Chelsea G.

Every Teacher Needs This!

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

Pros

As a 4th grade teacher, student behavior is always a challenge. Sometimes it is hard to always recognize the good behavior and acknowledge them as well. Hero has simplified my behavior system and helped me keep track of a lot of different things. Easy to use and very convenient for anyone to use. My students, staff members, and I have all been very happy with Hero.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes and I lose data and have to start over. (Doesn't happen too often) Overall great though!

John L.

I love HERO program and software. I use it daily for my students' behavior.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

I enjoy tracking my students on a daily basis and sharing it with them for future celebrations and behavior reinforcement.

Pros

I like the easy access at any time during my school day and the ability to see my students' points as they increase and share that with them.

Cons

Very rarely, but sometimes there is a lag or it does not work. Very rarely. Other than that, it's great.

Improvements in Hero

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Pros

I appreciate the improvements that have been made on hero over the past few years. I feel like they have listened to the customers and made changes to help with the ease of use.

Cons

Sometimes giving out points can be cumbersome. The app does not work correctly, it’s much easier to use the system from the website.

5.0/10
Ashley W.

Overall my experience has been positive. I like that I can target specific behaviors with Hero.

Reviewed on 2017/07/25

Pros

I like that it is easy to use for me and my students. My students have learned how to give themselves points and are very excited when they are able to. It also allows students to be actively involved and has been really motivating for my students.

Cons

I do wish that there was a way to stay logged into the program for longer periods of time. Sometimes I want to award my students points only to find that I have been logged out and it's time consuming to log out again.

Tina F.

Hero is an excellent program to use with our school's Positive Behavior programs.

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

This software helps our school to teach students to work towards a larger goal.

Pros

It is easy to use. It allows students to work towards a larger goal over time instead of constant expectation of small rewards.

Cons

The program is occasionally slow. I would like to see it work faster at times. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Jolene M.

HERO

Reviewed on 2019/06/28

Pros

This software provides users with an effective way of tracking student behaviors and reviewing the results to determine where and how changes need to be made.

Cons

The software does run slow sometimes, however, this also depends on the amount of people using the program at the same time.

Greg B.

Hero K12

Reviewed on 2018/10/07

Pros

Having the ability to give instant feedback to students and parents is great. The data we can collect on student behavior is excellent for decision making purposes.

Cons

There are some management features that are not available for Hero admins. For example, I had a lot of issues with student forgetting their passwords. Our students do not have access to email so they can't reset on their own, and Hero does not give admins the ability to reset.

John A.

Hero Changes Schools Culture

Reviewed on 2019/06/18

I love hero. It allows me to reward student for wanted behaviors in the classroom. The students gets immediate positive feedback and positive behaviors are reinforced. It is not easy to get everyone to buy into it at first but once they see the positive things that can arise it becomes a super effective tool for any classroom.

Pros

The software is easy to use and extremely effective in obtain the results that are desired

Cons

Too easy to use. Sometimes can get carried away with rewarding behaviors that students

Greg B.

Hero is a great management system. With Hero, our students are more actively engaged in behavior.

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

Hero is very user friendly for staff, students, and parents. The system allows staff to track student behavior and look for trends. Staff can also use Hero for positive reinforcement.
Students are able to stay engaged with their positive and negative behaviors. They can use their points for fun incentives.
Parents have an opportunity to see how their children are doing in real time.
Hero Support is excellent.

Cons

Hero has a few minor limitations on the administrative side. Some of the reports are lacking a filter that my admin would like. The functionality of the Event system is not great.

Lacy H.

Hero is a simple and fun way to increase positive behaviors in students.

Reviewed on 2017/07/20

School behaviors and culture improved. The students loved earning rewards for positive behaviors rather than strictly negative consequences.

Pros

The program is an easy to use tracking system. The features and functionality are simple. The website and customer support are awesome!

Cons

If you are not specifically tied to a class, (e.g. resource teacher, school counselor, admin) it can be time-consuming to search for students, especially if you want to award a bulk number of points.

Karessa P.

Hero is easy to use and a great way to shift your focus from negative to positive.

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Hero is an easy-to-use solution to a school-wide reward system. In addition to providing positive feedback to our students, it can also be used to track tardies, ID violations, dress code violations, etc.

Pros

It is easy to implement school-wide to gain the most benefit. On our campus, teachers focus on awarding positive Hero points while the administrative team oversees the tardy, ID and dress code violations. I love being able to focus my attention on the positive things happening in my classroom and on our campus.

Cons

Our biggest challenge is allowing co-teachers the rights to view the entire class so they can easily give points.

Althea G.

Hero

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

The students are more prone to wear their IDs and get to class on time in order to earn points. It definitely increases positive behavior.

Pros

It is very easy to use and it motivates the students to "get caught doing something good"

Cons

There is nothing I don't like. I love it all.

Tiana K.

I love HERO. It's done wonders for our school. :)

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

The climate at school is much better. The kids are happier, and they enjoy coming to the HERO store and earning more points for demonstrating positive behaviors.

Pros

I like that it's pretty simple to use, and our support person Alexandra is the best. I also like that the kids enjoy earning points, and that we can have our HERO store for the kids to purchase what they want/need. I also like that this is way more universal than our previous PBIS stuff.

Cons

I don't like that we can only give/redeem 250 points at a time. I also don't like that we don't have automatic roster uploads yet.

Sabrina L.

HERO Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

It's been great to see our students and staff get excited about HERO.

Pros

The opportunity to track positive student behavior and provide incentives through our HERO store.

Cons

I would like some more reporting options...maybe teacher use by grade level, etc.