Drift Reviews

4.6/5 (92 reviews)
Katie F.

Drift - Robust Chatbot That May Not Be Worth the Hassle

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

We have very complex products that require a great deal of one-on-one dealing with our salespeople. In other words - they're not simple products like a t-shirt, but are highly-engineered with extremely specific specs.

With this in mind, we use our chatbot as a way to funnel people to get in touch with us based on what they need: service, parts, repair, equipment quotes. It works super well and has cut down on the frustration of not knowing where to go on the website. It provides them an immediate way to reach out.

Pros

Drift is a robust, clean platform that is relatively simple to work. The caveat to that is that you have to get the hang of it first! The previous chat builder was tough to work with - not very intuitive and lots of scrolling up and down, back and forth (think vertical, with everything jumbled together). They've just introduced a new version that is easier to work with, but still complex.

When implemented on the website, it looks clean. You can also modify your icon, which is a fun and creative aspect. The "playbook" you build can also be as simple or complex as you want - due to the complex nature of our products, we use ours as more of a "reach out to us, we can help" chatbot. But you can go much, much further.

Cons

The main thing I dislike about Drift isn't actually the platform - it's the onboarding process.

The onboarding process at Drift is a bit aggressive. The onboarding teams have a very set mindset in what will make Drift work for you - no matter what your business is, or how many times you let them know your business' unique needs. They are almost 100% focused on getting live chat involved, which at the start isn't always the best option. I'd recommend that they start listening more closely to their clients, rather than bopping them over the head with their "this will be best for you" mindset.

Ramon H.

One of the most appealing, beautiful and expensive website chats on the market

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

- Providing a beautiful and direct contact option directly on my website
- Direct targeting of specific customers groups with chat messages, emails and pop-ups
-> Increasing the number of leads & sales

Pros

- The design of the chat widget is gorgeous. It works on any browser and every mobile phone, I've tried, like a charm. With other chat widgets, I had lots of issues that it hasn't been displayed always correctly.
- Advanced bot and automation capabilities based on tags and other attributes
- Live view of prospects on your website with direct contact via web chat functionality
- Outbound marketing (sending sequences and tracking of emails) with their drift Gmail extension.

Cons

- Drift is quite expensive for what they offer. I'm one of the happy customers, which has gotten a startup license of the pro plan for a fraction of the normal price. Even with the pro plan, you have unnecessary restrictions like customization of the chat widget with CSS and using the smaller version. Most of the enterprise features as account-based marketing are great for any startup. Why isn't just the support by Drift and the quantity of usage restricted? Why do I have to see the restrictions within your account always and cannot just hide them if I cannot afford? Are they in need of that kind of marketing?
- The calendar cannot be completely translated into the language of your choice and you can't use a custom domain.
- Help center is branded with drift, even if your plan support branding free chat widget.
- I've received lots of emails from Drift about their Hypergrowth Conference (at least 10 in the last few months), which is quite annoying, no matter how personal and funny they have been written.
- I receive quite some emails regarding extensions of the core product like Drift Signature and Drift Help Center, but I've never gotten an update what has changed in the core product. After a while looking into the bot creation section, I've been flabbergasted that the whole design of the visual builder has changed, without me receiving any message about the advantages the new design and process brings with it.

6.0/10

Perfect chat tool, with great bots/automation features.

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

We needed a chat feature. We saw the potential in automating some of our appointment-setting and lead qualification process, and Drift has proven to be a continually worthwhile investment.

Pros

Super easy to implement, great onboarding process and support team (who are also very proactive in outreach). The tool itself is simple to use, with great analytics (although things get a big exaggerated when it tells me big names at Amazon, Walmart, etc are looking at my site - but obviously traffic can come form anywhere and doesn't ALWAYS mean it's a business inquiry - this is balanced by it letting you see how people are actually engaging with you, source of the chat, etc). Love the automated bots that you can set up - very flexible too. Built-in scheduling and appointment setting functionality and key integrations. VERY frequent software updates.

Cons

Under the old view, if you're not careful, managing all the conversations can get messy even if you know to switch folder/category and close conversations. This is improved in a new view they just implemented. And some of it wasn't as straightforward initially as I thought it was (but their support team is good).

Aaron j R.

Great way to add essential chat functionality to your website

Reviewed on 2017/12/11

Great way to provide value to visitors and be able to clearly communicate.

Pros

Drift is an easy way to bring chat to your site - especially when people are less and less willing to browse your site for answers and don't trust you'll ever respond to your "contact us" form. We've enjoyed using Drift and really like how seamlessly it integrates in with HubSpot.

Cons

The only complaint I have about drift is some of the functionality that's behind a paywall. I understand they need to make money, but some functionality that seems like a basic requirement to me is behind a paywall and eliminates itself from the conversation of some smaller businesses that don't always have someone able to answer immediately at all times. That being said, even Drift's paywall is easily justifiable for the benefit it provides.

Julien B.

Easy to use, but keep your chats organized/clean

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

My support team likes it! So far so good. We've been using Drift for 2 years now.

Pros

Drift is easy to use and pretty straightforward. Installing it on your website is super easy and they provide good support. The support team is very responsive. Couple things I like :

- Send chat by email when the visitor closed the window/website
- Notification settings
- Chat window is simple but yet effective
- Support team is friendly and responsive
- Pricing (we started with the free version for a year)
- Auto-responder

Cons

When you have high traffic websites like we do, it's absolutely crucial to keep your chat logs organized. Would have liked to have more flexibility on this end (different folders, important chats, etc.).

Priyanka T.

Playbooks are WOW!

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

We got some kick-ass leads using Drift. Will keep using the tool forever.

Pros

I have been using Drift for more than 2 years and there is nothing I don't love about this product but I am here to talk about Playbooks today. It's amazing how you can set up custom messages to the web page visitors knowing their intent as per the content of this website. Great work!

Cons

None so far but while writing this review I realized that when I chat with my drift visitors while I type the Grammarly auto-correction does not work. It will show the error but it won't auto-correct.

Andrey R.

A modern way to connect with your customers

Reviewed on 2018/09/30

I still use Drift and will do further.

Pros

I implemented Drift in my website. The reason is not just I want to connect with my customers. but to show them that behind that e-commerce store there is a real person.
Nowadays, people loves connecting by others by typing what they need or what questions they have.
I use Drift app on my smartphone so I can answer fast to my customers.

Cons

My suggestion is to offer an option to choice louder or another sound notification when there is a user on the other side. Very often I can't hear that someone has just sent me a question. And then I miss the opportunity to answer.

Mackenzie J.

An Easy Way to Engage Website Visitors

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Overall, we have been pleased with what Drift has enabled us to do. It makes our sales engineers more accessible to interested prospects and has been successful in moving contacts through our sales funnel. I would definitely recommend this service to smaller/mid-sized organizations who have the resources to monitor the chat inbox.

Pros

First and foremost, Drift was incredibly easy to setup and integrate into our existing website using just a small snippet of code. Once it was setup, Drift has successfully engaged with countless visitors to our website who may not have otherwise remained on our site or found what they were looking for. It's scheduling features are a great way to organize and rotate "on-call" teammates.

Cons

We were excited about testing the conversational bot feature that Drift has rolled out to supplement the standard chat window. We are somewhat disappointed with the current capabilities of that feature to personalize a landing page to our branding. As a result, users experience a somewhat jarring shift to a landing page that looks nothing like your own on a completely different URL.

Great way to engage with prospect on your site!

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

Drift has allowed us to interact with folks browsing our website and capture valuable lead data that we didn't have access to before Drift.

Pros

Drift is really great for qualifying and chatting with clients that are browsing your website. The ability to create bots that capture data and qualify a prospect our SDR team a lot of time and allows them to only spend time on folks that are really ready to have a conversation. Their meeting scheduler tool is also really great.

Cons

The backend admin panel can be a bit confusing at times. I'd also like them to work on their SalesForce integration more so custom fields can be captured in Drift and sent to SFDC.

Chris C.

Easy (and free) way to add chat to your website!

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Pros

The pros over at Drift get IT! They have provided a great chat tool that is super clean, easy to use, and it just works. I run an e-commerce website and there's no doubt that having Drift in place has boosted my sales. It is a great way to capture new email addresses as well, which I have used in follow up marketing sequences, thus resulting in additional sales. Can't say enough about this software, I really enjoy it.

Cons

Everything isn't free! But, I get it. The additional features are worth paying for, and I will be at that point on my site soon. Looking forward to it!

Tamás R.

You can fell in love with a SaaS product.

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

Drift is the world's first and only conversational marketing platform. You can talk to your best leads real time on your page and create super personalized messages to get in contact with them.

Cons

Its features mostly are created for the US market and some parts of the software can't be used in my Hungarian language. But honestly, I can't really mention anything bad. The team shifts monthly new features. They are super fast!

Cameron L.

I had high hopes but was disappointed by

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

Overall the concept of this platform is great and I had high hopes because of all the good reviews. The bot got more engagement than a just a basic chat box I had before that. Having the ability to use other popups etc was good too but pretty limited flexibility around the design of those.

Cons

I think some things may have changed since all the positive reviews regarding the software. I think this happens sometimes when companies go into growth mode. The support wasn't good, they tried but seemed too busy, often didn't take the time to read the detailed steps to reproduce I included in all my support tickets. Before anything was actioned we had to bounce a bunch of emails back and forth answering questions with info I already included in my original tickets which meant days past before we even started to get some actual help. Then often the problems were just bugs with their platform. There seemed to be quite a few things that just didn't work as described.

Seems quite expensive compared to something like Intercom that has a much broader feature set. I'm a Solo founder though with a niche platform, so pricing won't be an issue if you are a bigger business I suppose.

Also just a tip, they have a 30 day notice period and no trial so if you don't like it within the first month you'll still need to pay for a full two months of the software so make sure you budget for that. I didn't. My fault for not reading the terms.

Even when they break the news to you that you'll be charged another amount for something you don't want to use. At least they still end their emails by saying "have a fantastic day" even when breaking bad news. I'll try!

1.0/10
Melanie E.

So Much More Than a Simple Chatbot

Reviewed on 2018/03/19

We have made use of Drift to replace the standard static contact forms on a number of client sites in various, very different niches, including real estate, banking, recruiting and direct sales. The results have been very positive thus far. It is easier for live reps to follow up with leads, emails are not being missed or overlooked and the chatbots themselves add an interactive dimension that seems to be far more engaging for visitors

Pros

Drift is intuitive and adds value to almost any site. The application is currently running on several of my clients' sites (under my management) with great success. Case in point. A Realtor client began an interaction with a site visitor browsing for information on his market in general. Via Drift several conversations led to the sale of a home. No email contact form can match that!

Cons

The iPhone app is not always as responsive as I'd like - better notifications would help - but on the whole, my experience with Drift so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

Catherine C.

Great tool to help improve customer experience!

Reviewed on 2017/08/09

Improved customer experience and lead capture and nuturing tool.

Pros

Drift is easy to use, customize and integrate into our Slack channels. We have a paid subscription with lots of benefits that fit our budget.

Cons

Not all features in Drift are customizable but working with the Drift team has been a breeze. I once made a request to implement a specific setting and 3 weeks later it was set-up and ready for us to utilize. My only wish is that the alerts would be more timely. Sometimes there is an up to 10 min. delay. For now, we have been refreshing the page/app more consistently throughout the day.

7.0/10
Ishan S.

Makes customer interaction easy!!

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

I am enjoying drift as it helps my customers to directly drop in a chat whenever they have any queries, this has reduced the number of support calls I used to get before drift.

Pros

It's ability to post internal notes that only your team members can see. It really helps during troubleshooting.

Cons

The mobile app is a little confusing at times and it takes time in refreshing, it doesn't auto refresh and doesn't display the recent chats on it's own.

Shortened our time to SQL

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Pros

Ease of installation made this a no-brainer to try. We found that it helped us shorten our marketing cycle by getting prospects on the phone immediately rather than in the traditional way with forms. Now they can speak to a live representative and get their business much sooner. Drift changed the way we do business.

They are introducing more and more integrations and making it a natural extension of most marketing teams.

Cons

Cost for the higher tier is a little too high. We settled for the lower tier and are happy with it so far.

Easy chat set up right to your website

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Great product. Free version is pretty limited, but gets the job done.

Pros

I found that drift has a very nice flow and design. It was very easy to set up, and I've seen a great increase in customer interaction from our website when i am able to engage them.

Cons

Paid tiers are expensive. It looks like you get some great features through their paid services, but compared to other companies, they seem very expensive

Our new primary method of communication with prospects

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Pros

Ease of setup makes Drift work well. I love the Slack integration and team member management on the back end. One of the best things about Drift is that it eliminates the need for forms and forces a quick turnaround on meeting prospects.

Cons

It's expensive for the more advanced service. It would be a great addition to our current workflow but can't justify the cost.

Amazing tool to bring more leads to your team

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Pros

Drift has driven a big number of quality leads for our team. It allows us to get in front of leads even before they fill out a form. You're able to catch their interest and answer questions you wouldn't otherwise be able to do until you got on the phone with them. The chat bot is a great way to bridge the gap from site visitor to an actual meeting.

Cons

I believe a chat bot tool is essential for many companies. While drift definitely covers all the basics and then some of a chat bot, we have run into a few bumps. There can be a lot of confusion with the routing rules, goals, and tracking. You probably won't get your perfect chat bot right initially after set up, so be ready to optimize along the way. I have had a very good experience with their support and Customer Success team, so they will be ready to guide you in the right path!

Great bot with plenty of options

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

If you consider a bot or other automated actions, Drift is certainly a great candidate that is worthwhile to explore.

Pros

Drift seems to have endless options and possibilities to enhance this bot and the underlying (marketing) actions. Their pro-active approach is helpful and really appreciated.

Cons

Because of the many options and features, please make sure you to schedule enough time and focus for your dedicated Drift colleagues who implement, maintain and follow up on the additional tasks.

Not my Favorite Chatbot

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

It syncs well with our CRM (Salesforce).

Cons

I find it not very user-friendly. As someone who came into the administrator role after the account was already set up, I had a difficult time navigating. The chatbot script creator could be much cleaner. I find myself having to write the script in an excel document with a complex numbering system in order to easily input it into Drift. I also wish it had more features that some other chatbots have, like heat and click maps.

6.0/10

Drift has provided a new outlet for customers and prospects

Reviewed on 2019/01/02

Pros

Sales means being first to the plate- so being able to quickly engage and interact with prospects as they browse our website is huge.
Also quick hit tech support questions are a big win when learning a new software.

Cons

The Salesforce Integration isn't great- however the UI of the product is.

James P.

Great online chat function for sales

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

Pros

Easy to work with prospects and have quick chats, quickly determine if someone is worth a sales conversation and if so turn it into a phone call quickly, otherwise give them free resources and send them away

Cons

Would be better if different teams could have different queues based on locality of prospects, also the company is constantly changing the UI and features so it is hard to get used to certain functions, get a rhythm going

Jason B.

We use Drift for our church and LOVE IT

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Pros

It took me 5 minutes to have it working from sign up to installed on the site. Our staff uses it and rotates days answering peoples questions from our website and mobile church connections site.

Cons

I wish there was a way to use it as a nonprofit with some kind of break. We don't have a lot of resources and would love to have multiple logins, but we don't have the budget for all the things we wish we could do with Drift.

Conversational Marketing Here We Come!

Reviewed on 2019/03/11

Pros

Easy to set up and go live in short period of time. Instantly engage with prospects and customers a like and never miss a conversation again. 24/7 365 engagement if desired. Ability to serve the specific need of the visitor is critical.

Cons

Layout of the admin dashboard has a lot so it takes a little time to navigate. Every so often the mobile app for android delays a notification.