Drift

Live chat & in-app messaging for sales & marketing

Drift could be Intercom, but it isn't...

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

We decided to use Drift as means to provide support, but once we grow bigger than a single user, we'll have to move to a better platform.

Pros

We use Drift as an in-app messaging platform and it's decent at that. We considered using it for marketing automation, customer engagement and on-boarding, but it doesn't cut it.

Cons

Even as an in-app messaging platform for support, there's room for improvement. A few months ago, they removed the option to "close a conversation" (which is essentially used to close a "support ticket"). For whatever reason, they think that it should be more like Whatsapp with an endless list of conversations that you can "archive". Only conversations sometimes come back (not because of new messages), they are sorted wrong so you may miss conversations with new messages, and you don't always get real time notifications in the mobile app.

Response from Drift

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I'm sorry we haven't delivered on what you expected from us. I'm more than happy to chat live and learn more about how we can make your experience better. Feel free to reach out at [email protected]

The best chat AI.

Reviewed on 2020/09/10

Using this for sales as well as support automation, and it's paid off well and works with our sites.

Pros

The driftbots and playbooks (how their AI, automation is done). We have used this to automate sales workflows and schedule meetings and save time.

Cons

I have no complaints that wouldn't be something out of my control - some of the rules I've set up in boys seem to be a bit too picky when leads respond with anything besides a picklist item.

Response from Drift

Hi there,

Wow. Thank you so much, for all of this. We're thrilled to hear you're happy with your platform experience, as well as your experience with us both in pre sales and support . Please reach out if there's anything else we can do to help or support you.

kickstart conversation marketing

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

It has been great but i believe much more integrated approach is needed.

Pros

started using drift for our startup after moving away from HubSpot. It has been a great learning curve for us. Some aspects I love about drift is the lead tracking and bot performance.

Also leveraging drift for email and phone converation as a CRM is a big plus.

Also scheduling and calendar invites make is better than calendly

Cons

Would love if drift can be an email server as well so that we can skip email server costs. It does most of the things already just needs a sync from gmail.

It is very expensive especially since you have to pay upfront for the startup plan

Craig P.

Reliable, yet Lacking

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Overall Drift has been a good option for the money, but we are not 100% thrilled.

Pros

Software is reliable in that the system does not crash at all. They are consistently making updates, and branching in to more areas of communication outside of just chat. The support team is very nice and willing to help.

Cons

Reporting functionality is very lacking. Unable to see how long each conversation is taking for each of my agents to work through. Have had multiple complaints on lag in the chat service loading within our software. Have contacted support on this multiple times without resolution.

Jennifer V.
  • Industry: Market Research

Great alternative to forms

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

Pros

I love the conversational nature of our Drift bots. It allows us to incorporate our brand tone of voice into interactions with web visitors, and the ability to book meetings directly within the chat really speeds up the followup process.

Cons

It can be clunky at times to set up the playbooks, but once they're in place they're great. I've also seen a ton of incremental improvements happen throughout the time I've used it so I can see Drift is listening to customer feedback and continually evolving.

Response from Drift

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback. I'm really happy to hear you say " I've used it so I can see Drift is listening to customer feedback and continually evolving." Please keep the feedback coming and let us know how else we can help you!

Julie Hogan, VP - Customer Experience

Powerful Tool but needs care and feeding

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

We have booked meetings via Drift bot. We in marketing see the value for sure and will continue to use features and functionality as a part of our demand gen and ABM efforst.

Pros

I love the ability to set up multiple chat bots/playbooks based on use cases. The ability to engage with a target account real time is invaluable. So we're trying to keep it simple, yet also set up playbooks specific to our campaign objectives and quarterly themes but the up keep has proven to be challenging. The option to also use converstional pages is awesome and integrating those into ABM programs has been exciting.

Cons

A lot of up keep required in the tool to keep it up to date and effective. Also need to train and remind sales teams often to close conversations and manage their bots. Drafting the right copy that will capture attention and encourage engagement has been hard so constantly testing and updating copy to improve bot performance

Response from Drift

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. If interested, we have a program where we support the ongoing optimization of your playbooks. Happy to chat directly! - [email protected]

Dan L.
  • Industry: Human Resources

This has been a great tool to improve website conversion.

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

We purchased Drift to help our website convert more visitors, we definitely saw an uptick in conversions even if you take into account the amount of form fills it enviably cannibalized.

Pros

Drift is easy to implement and a extremely powerful tool for increasing conversion on your website by directly engaging visitors.

Cons

If you're looking to engage your entire Salesforce in using this tool, it can be quite expensive to purchase the seats. Also, it's not all that flexible if you're not trying to use it in a relatively specific way.

Great way to engage with prospect on your site!

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

Drift has allowed us to interact with folks browsing our website and capture valuable lead data that we didn't have access to before Drift.

Pros

Drift is really great for qualifying and chatting with clients that are browsing your website. The ability to create bots that capture data and qualify a prospect our SDR team a lot of time and allows them to only spend time on folks that are really ready to have a conversation. Their meeting scheduler tool is also really great.

Cons

The backend admin panel can be a bit confusing at times. I'd also like them to work on their SalesForce integration more so custom fields can be captured in Drift and sent to SFDC.

Cameron L.

I had high hopes but was disappointed by

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

Overall the concept of this platform is great and I had high hopes because of all the good reviews. The bot got more engagement than a just a basic chat box I had before that. Having the ability to use other popups etc was good too but pretty limited flexibility around the design of those.

Cons

I think some things may have changed since all the positive reviews regarding the software. I think this happens sometimes when companies go into growth mode. The support wasn't good, they tried but seemed too busy, often didn't take the time to read the detailed steps to reproduce I included in all my support tickets. Before anything was actioned we had to bounce a bunch of emails back and forth answering questions with info I already included in my original tickets which meant days past before we even started to get some actual help. Then often the problems were just bugs with their platform. There seemed to be quite a few things that just didn't work as described.

Seems quite expensive compared to something like Intercom that has a much broader feature set. I'm a Solo founder though with a niche platform, so pricing won't be an issue if you are a bigger business I suppose.

Also just a tip, they have a 30 day notice period and no trial so if you don't like it within the first month you'll still need to pay for a full two months of the software so make sure you budget for that. I didn't. My fault for not reading the terms.

Even when they break the news to you that you'll be charged another amount for something you don't want to use. At least they still end their emails by saying "have a fantastic day" even when breaking bad news. I'll try!

Catherine C.

Great tool to help improve customer experience!

Reviewed on 2017/08/09

Improved customer experience and lead capture and nuturing tool.

Pros

Drift is easy to use, customize and integrate into our Slack channels. We have a paid subscription with lots of benefits that fit our budget.

Cons

Not all features in Drift are customizable but working with the Drift team has been a breeze. I once made a request to implement a specific setting and 3 weeks later it was set-up and ready for us to utilize. My only wish is that the alerts would be more timely. Sometimes there is an up to 10 min. delay. For now, we have been refreshing the page/app more consistently throughout the day.

Ruth N.

Excellent

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

Excellent. Provides a clear route to help us channel website visitor questions.

Pros

Drift are more than just a chat bot company – they come across as thought leaders on conversation led marketing and video.

Cons

There's not much I don't like, but I find the level of customisation for targeting on web pages can be a little limited

Great bot with plenty of options

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

If you consider a bot or other automated actions, Drift is certainly a great candidate that is worthwhile to explore.

Pros

Drift seems to have endless options and possibilities to enhance this bot and the underlying (marketing) actions. Their pro-active approach is helpful and really appreciated.

Cons

Because of the many options and features, please make sure you to schedule enough time and focus for your dedicated Drift colleagues who implement, maintain and follow up on the additional tasks.

James P.
  • Industry: Newspapers
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great online chat function for sales

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

Pros

Easy to work with prospects and have quick chats, quickly determine if someone is worth a sales conversation and if so turn it into a phone call quickly, otherwise give them free resources and send them away

Cons

Would be better if different teams could have different queues based on locality of prospects, also the company is constantly changing the UI and features so it is hard to get used to certain functions, get a rhythm going

Conversational Marketing Here We Come!

Reviewed on 2019/03/11

Pros

Easy to set up and go live in short period of time. Instantly engage with prospects and customers a like and never miss a conversation again. 24/7 365 engagement if desired. Ability to serve the specific need of the visitor is critical.

Cons

Layout of the admin dashboard has a lot so it takes a little time to navigate. Every so often the mobile app for android delays a notification.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Live Chat for your website

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

Pros

It's relatively easy to install the javascript widget and get started with live chat on your website.

Cons

The chat web interface and all associated integrations are really buggy. I also don't like how they keep changing the pricing.

Amanda J.

It works great for my needs when talking with customers

Reviewed on 2017/08/25

Pros

It makes it easy for customers to chat with me. If they need to ask a simple billing question or if they are interested in signing up for service.

Cons

It does not always let me know when a new chat has started. Also I wish I could just hit enter to send a message instead of control/enter.

Joby I.

Great way to get started with chat on your website then so many features to grow into

Reviewed on 2018/05/27

Pros

What attracted me to us drift was the fact the basic package is free, and you are off to the races with the ability to chat live with your visitors. The real magic comes as your traffic grows and you start to use their paid service, partially the top end product that offers the chat bots. These help with lead capture so much making it automatic and efficient.

Cons

At the moment I have not found anything to fault them on, they don't have a direct integration with infusionsoft which is a pain for us as we have to set up something using Zapier, but if you are using another CRM they connect to most of them.

Nick M.

great product with a very usuable free version for small teams

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

This product is a great choice for people not sure if chat support is for them, with room to expand I think drift will acquire many customers who start on their free option

Pros

Free version of this tool provides very usable option for clients wanting to get into live chat support.

Cons

the mobile app could be better with its alert system, if you want to use this product without a dedicated staff member looking after it you need to be very away of your phone app and be sure to check notifications.

Zach M.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The most powerful chat software

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

We had many website visitors who were not converting.

Pros

Drift is the most feature rich chat software. I like the automated bots, playbooks, and easy to use UI. Drift has helped us convert those website visitors who hadn't filled out a form or other CTA.

Cons

Drift is extremely expensive compared to Intercom. Their features are powerful but not worth the money for a smaller organization

Ellen W.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Drift is cutting the path to new and better ways to sell

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

Drift is relatively new to our tech stack. We've been able to implement it with a few clients (as well as ourselves), who use it to amplify their sales process. Drift has been very convenient and has cut communication time in half. It's pretty simple to program a workflow for your sales reps to work through when communicating with a lead. Customer service has also been great.

Cons

The dashboard layout was a bit tricky for me at first. Once I got the hang of where certain pieces were located it wasn't that bad, but there was a lot of digging around that needed to be done at first.

Karlie K.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Great for business!

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

None

Pros

Super easy toninstall on our website! Had no idea we would get that many people asking quick simple questions through our website that lead to enrollments.

Cons

Nothing. Support even answered a few questions I had very quickly

• Industry: Human Resources

The absolute #1 Chatbot tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

Pros

Drift is a tool very easy to roll out in your organization. We were live after 3 days. It is very straightforward how to create playbooks and how to put them live on your website. They have a huge library of existing integrations. Their support team is very responsive.

Cons

Their Salesforce integration is not always working consistently and I would really like to see the ability to do AB testing on a specific chat-bot playbook.

Jeff G.

Creating an army of support

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Amazing chat support for my webiste
Wonderful back end to manage leads

Pros

Love the ease of installing to my site and help to boost my customer support presence without massive investment. It's deeply personal and conversation driven. Lots of opportunities to customize the experience and their support is stellar. Very impressive

Cons

Still limited by limited integration to other sales/marketing tools, but that's to change soon with their new marketplace

Love Drift!

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

Pros

It is free for 1 user.
You can respond on your phone or on the web.
It was simple to add to my website.
Pricing is reasonable.
You can track your visitors browsing history once they start a chat log with you.

Cons

The app is a little buggy. There are times when I can't get to the current conversation. When you hit the back button it takes you out of the app all together.

Larissa E.

I love using the Drift chat box. It helps me connect with customers to help them buy.

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Helping clients to book while on our site! :)

Pros

I love that I am notified instantly to my phone so I can respond and know when people are looking at our site. Responding fast is key to try and answer any questions they have and close the sale.

Cons

Sometimes it does not reveal the customer's name right away. But this is not a big problem, I believe it does once I enter the chat.