uLawPractice

Manage What Matters, ANYWhere (Practice Mgmt & Legal Acc)

Peter R.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Very positive. It has many useful features and customer support is always ready to help.

Reviewed on 2017/09/14

It helps me with my tracking of clients and allows to track the progress of a case. Also it helps me keep track of upcoming dates, invoicing and contact information. I rely heavily on ulaw for all of this information and it has been a tremendous help. I like how it gave me all the information I needed for the auditor. The dashboard feature is helpful and quick view which helps give me reminders on what's coming up. I am able to produce invoices for clients that not only show the time and dates, but enter what I was doing during the time. I was complimented by the law society of upper Canada auditor for that, which is a team effort by ulaw staff and I. I would very much recommend it to a colleague and find it a fun system and quite user friendly. I cannot say enough about the support staff who are always there. I work odd hours and it's vital having what seems to be round the clock support if I run into a jam.

Pros

Easy invoicing and the statements of activity that help me keep track of a file's progress. I find that this enables to keep track of a case and who owes me money. I also like that it breaks down where I am spending the most time on each case and my contact with any particular client. Overall, very good. I also like the option of the free webinars, which help me save money. That is vital for a small business and sole owner.

Cons

Some of the features are a little confusing, but you get used to them. And again customer support is always there to help. And although I like the option of the webinars I feel that sometimes the instructors jump around and talk too fast. I am hard of hearing and sometimes find it hard to follow when they do so. I would also like a little more flexibility when it comes to the retainer. I do not operate a trust account for example, a retainer reflecting that would be helpful. All minor issues and 1 more, just to keep an eye on the typos which tend to come up. A lawyer or a paralegal sending out such letters may be viewed as incompetent.

Ram S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use; versatile and importantly, mobile. I have been using this for almost 18 months...

Reviewed on 2017/07/26

I use it all the time for my work... from office, at court and at home.

Pros

Excellent feedback and help when requested. Easy to use for a non-technical person like me. Easily navigable; well presented; easy to enter data and information. Importantly, being mobile, I can use it anywhere on the go. I am not rooted to a main office.

Cons

Nothing really. I looked for a mobile platform when purchasing an accounting program for lawyers and I was scared of getting stuck with the generally traditionally large software programs in a set office. I found u law and have recommended it to many colleagues without hesitation.

Nermine A.

Life Saver!

Reviewed on 2017/07/29

If you do not have an accounting background, it can take a little time to understand it. However, once you understand it, it is intuitive, and there is plenty of support to assist you along the way.

Pros

When I opened my practice, I did A LOT of research about software. I wanted software that would not only support client management, but also something to manage the accounting side of things. Lastly, I wanted to find something that was on the cloud so that I can access the software from any computer and from any location and not worry about computer crashes and the possibility of losing any information. This was the only software that met every one of those needs. The best thing of all is that they know the law society rules for compliance and have made it extraordinarily simply to live up to those rules. I am not worried about LSUC audits.

Karim B.

uLaw Practice management software

Reviewed on 2016/08/04

There are many features that comes with the software (some of them I haven't even used yet) and it makes it easy to navigate the basics.

Pros

Ease of use and the ability to log in from anywhere.

Cons

No app for iphone

Winnie L.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Produces LSUC Spot Audit Reports and Client Compliance Docs!

Reviewed on 2016/08/30

It is the best compliant product out there for a new sole practitioner on a budget.
The spot audit reports are in the same format as illustrated in LSUC guidelines.
Compliance documents are handsome - the invoices have themes to choose from!
All reports / documents are produced with minimal clicks - very little manual entry and no more cutting / pasting.

Pros

Saves time. Reports/documents are attractive.

Cons

Software needs to be streamlined for real estate files (ie, auto-input list of standard fees/disbursements). Many sole practitioners practice real estate for low fees. Administration/compliance/banking requirements on real estate files are very laborious.

Tina L.

Support to help ease my learning curse was phenomenal, and the software is user friendly....

Reviewed on 2017/09/16

Pros

It is user friendly, support is great, easy to use and track even for someone with virtually no accounting or bookkeeping background. As a principal lawyer of my law firm, I can do bookkeeping myself, or train my assistant to do it, easily.

Cons

Can't enter time via mobile app as yet, and the mobile app is volatile. However, most of my entries are done with other documents so I'm usually on a computer anyway.

Response from Superfluid Software

We now have your con addressed Mobile app can now import time even from a phone call in Android. Please see these features https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8unY9zStJ-yzx4zyZ_1-q8RkXBZ6SKNP

or

Stefan D.

uLaw

Reviewed on 2020/10/21

My overall experience with uLaw has been terrific.

Pros

The best part about the software is the customer support. The support team usually responds the same day to a request for help. They usually send very helpful videos in response to your request for help. Also, when necessary, they assist you over the phone and talk you through your problem.

Cons

I would recommend changing how dockets are displayed when an invoice is created or a report is created. It should have the start time and end time. Currently, it just has the start time and the duration of the docket.

David G.

uLaw saves me crucial time in vital record-keeping and accurate invoice generation.

Reviewed on 2016/04/14

uLaw is a cost-efficient alternative to other systems that is compliant with Law Society
By-Laws and is a solution that provides all of the functionality I need. It is also mobile.

I have immediately saved on comparative software subscription fees. All accounting and invoicing software should save time, but the relative simplicity of uLaw and its product support team have made my using it a quick-start and a continuing pleasure to use

Features of uLaw such as automatic receipt generation, speedy and simple invoicing, as wel l as court form generations, are good examples of that. uLaw also allows me to export data in spreadsheet form, which I can then process to update other required ledgers.

In my experience and through my research, I have not found a better product for the price. Additional ly, uLaw' s development team is consistently willing to upgrade and does upgrade the product in line with Law Society requirements, emerging business trends and with best business practice in mind.

David L.

My uLaw Experience

Reviewed on 2016/12/02

uLaw is the first legal accounting program that I have ever found to be convenient to use. It is accurate and intuitive. The designers of the program go out of their way to answer calls and make changes to the program for clients. It is also approved for use by the LSUC. DL.

Lori anne T.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great web-based alternative to PC Law!

Reviewed on 2017/08/22

Able to work on my files and accounting from anywhere.

Pros

I like that it is web-based. It combines all of the functions needed for a law firm practice, including criminal and family.
I like the function that allows me to import my banking information. It is helpful to switch between client matters and accounting.
The customer service is extremely responsive and you don't have to pay extra for their support. They have altered areas that need improvement.

Cons

I wish it had more functionality with iPhones. It would be helpful to automatically allow update of monthly expenses (parking).
Entering in expenses is some cumbersome, but detailed.
Cannot delete default items (such as tenant or contract legal work) or contacts or matters that were entered in error. Makes it cluttered and annoying to search.

Prem N.

Daily Bread for me.

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

Pros

The customer support I get 24x7 and the very courteous support staff. It's only a question of getting used to the software and that leads to knowing where to book what and finding each tab.

I think this is a boon for a Paralegal like me as I enjoy using both the desktop version and the mobile app. very much. The convenience uLaw gives me is something one has to use and experience. Not to forget the weekly webinars they provide that also doubles up as CPD hours.

Now they have also started providing accounting help too.

Definitely recommend!

Cons

Some of the forms need to be updated.
Size of fonts when we open calendar.

Amanda R.

Absolutely Necessary for All Legal Practitioners

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

Amazing. Have been using it for years and highly recommend it. I have used PCLaw and Clio in the past and ULaw is the best cloud based software to manage client files and bookkeeping all in one.

Pros

It is LSO complaint and easy to use. I love that I do not need a bookkeeper and can view my business on a regular basis through Ulaw insights.

Cons

Error messages occurring after trying to save dockets.

Adrienne N.

Using uLaw for the past 2 years

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

Takes away the headache and pain of LSO compliance; deals with both practice management and accounting all in one platform for a fantastic price.

Cons

The user interface is not the most intuitive or user-friendly. However, whenever I can't figure out how to do something, customer service is always extremely responsive and all the ball.

Sriram R.

EXCELLENT AND USER FRIENDLY PRACTICE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 2016/04/26

Very user-friendly, one-stop accounting and practice management software, excellent customer service who is willing to listen to clients and make changes to improve the software.

Hundreds on youtube videos to educate clients, CPD with CPD hours is a bonus. Very reasonable and affordable pricing structure that one can not refuse.

Timothy E.

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

I have used several law software programs in the last 10 years and I believe this one is the best and most comprehensive on the market.

Pros

When you have an issue and can’t figure it out, they have created YouTube Videos or you can email and they will contact you quickly to solve your issue.

Cons

I truly after using it for 2 years have not found any cons to mention.

Jessica C.

Use Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/01/20

So far this software seems to be extremely beneficial. For the most part it's saving me time and making my job that much easier.

Pros

I like that this software is extremely user friendly.

Cons

It's almost too easy to use. I tend to keep trying to make things more complicated than they are which is taking up more time. But this has more to do with being used to previous software than a problem with THIS software.

Response from Superfluid Software

Thank you for such a sweet and kind feedback

Mark G.

I'm happy I went with ULaw

Reviewed on 2016/07/27

From the start, ULaw has been a good program to work with. It may not be quite as user friendly as the ads would suggest, but the customer support is really good.

Pros

It is great to manage the accounting end of the business.

Cons

Some of the forms do not populate as well as they should, are incomplete, or do not allow for adjustments. I wish I could upload my own letter templates, which would speed my work up significantly.

Mark S.

Efficient, Intuitive, Essential!

Reviewed on 2017/07/27

Simplified compliance reporting,
Simplified billing,
Simplified form printing,
Simplified contact management and file management,
Simplified accounting,
Simplified business as a whole :)

Pros

uLaw Practice saves so much time that it pays for itself. By simply inputting the most basic, day-to-day transactions into it, uLaw not only calculates everything you need to ensure all of your accounts are balancing, but it also prepares every compliance document you'll ever need in case you're ever audited by your respective Law Society (e.g. fee books, trust reconciliations, etc.).
I don't know how anyone would be able to survive an audit without uLaw.

It's also highly customizable allowing you to upload your own logos and letterhead to be printed automatically on your forms.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of for this software would be that I didn't sign up for it sooner! I recommend it to every legal professional practicing.

Anar D.

Ulaw is easy to use, affordable and has excellent customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/05/06

Makes it very easy to create client files and comply with trust/general account compliance.

Pros

The ulaw software makes it very easy to comply with the Rules of Professional Conduct (Law Society of Ontario) especially with Knowing your Client requirements. Ulaw allows you to generate an initial conflict check form and client identification/verification form. I recently went through the LSO Practice Management Audit, and the LSO was very impressed with Ulaw's Inital Conflict Check form because it allowed the form includes the steps the lawyer undertook to perform the conflict checks.

Cons

If you make a accounting error it is hard to rectify it if you don't understand how the software works or accounting principles.

Leonard H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Unbelievably good software package!

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

New Paralegals, lawyers, this software is powerful enough to keep you on track at a reasonable cost. Overall, I'd have to say it's the best software package I have ever invested in.

Pros

It makes my life so much easier. Fully compliant with Law Society of Ontario Rules. Great features, amazing matter management. Full accounting. I like everything about this product. And here's the absolute best thing about the product....THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BEYOND AMAZING! You want a quick response...you want your problem solved or question answered - send an email and watch how fast you get a response! I've emailed at night, weekends, you name it and I always get a quick reply.

Cons

Taking a while to get to know all the features because there are SO MANY. Not really a Con but the closest thing to one.

Jelena U.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Excellent bookkeeping and accounting software

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Our firm has been using uLaw for almost 2 years and we could not be happier. We use it for invoicing and bookkeeping. We recently had a Law Society audit, which went really well thanks to uLaw records

Pros

Software is easy to use for client contacts, docketing, invoicing and bookkeeping. It is compliant with the requirements of the Law Society of Ontario, which is very helpful.

Cons

Invoices and receipts can be personalized with firm logo, but the quality of the banner is poor. It would be better if the banners could be improved

Sourena S.

Efficient Software

Reviewed on 2019/10/23

I like it.

Pros

It helps with the day to day practice. I also reapply appreciate the quick email support which is great!

Cons

Some of the features seems to be irreversible, which makes error correction difficult and sometimes impossible.

Andres A.

Highly recommended

Reviewed on 2016/11/29

I was audited by the Law Society a couple of weeks ago.

They were impressed bout the functionality of the software and they even went on saying that with the features of ULaw I will not need to hire a bookkeeper, which will help me to save a lot of money.

ULaw has helped me to comply with the Law Society Rules in a cheap and efficient way without the need of outsourcing work to third parties.

Pros

It is cheap and intuitive, designed to comply with the Law Society Rules

Cons

Sometimes it takes a lot to load the page, and some features are confusing

Winnie L.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I love uLaw and the team there knows that! uLaw has my back on LSUC requirements!

Reviewed on 2017/07/07

Pros

Saves time and money and the uLaw team! uLaw is a compliance focused software that helps ensures our practice management and bookkeeping LSUC required documentation are in place. There are added features to track firm analytics.

Fadi A.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Customer Support are very knowledgeable and helpful

Reviewed on 2020/08/01

I appreciate the support I received when I had some issues with ulaw, they are very knowledgeable and solves my issues within couple hours

Pros

Once you know its features, it becomes very easy to understand and use.

Cons

It is not easy to delete transactions or change amounts if matter was invoiced even if a mistake occurred