OfficeTools

Run your tax and accounting practice from a single solution

Suzanne M.

Experienced User

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

I like OfficeTools and will continue using it. I wish they would work on some issues and make it more user friendly.

Pros

I like that it works with QuickBooks and Lacerte. I like the reports that it offers in order to track performance and efficiency.

Cons

I am not happy with customer service. We I have a problem or issue it takes days and sometimes over a week to return my call. I wish it was more user friendly. It can do a lot but it is difficult to figure it out. I would love to use the Pay Now feature but it locks the invoice and you can't add or delete time to it.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

OfficeTools Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

Overall, I've had a satisfactory experience with the product. Gets the job done.

Pros

- Office 365 integration is quite helpful

- "Due date" reminders are life-savers

- The to-do section helps in personal management of tasks

Cons

- Synchronizing with Quickbooks is only supported for the desktop platform, and not the web platform, which is kind of a pain right now

- Integrations with other bookkeeping tools isn't great, like excel for example, which makes collaboration outside your immediate team quite difficult. Please help look into this.

Response from AbacusNext

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We're glad OfficeTools helps you work efficiently and that you find the to-do and reminder features useful!

You'll be happy to know that we're currently working on an integration with QuickBooks Online, set to release this fall. We appreciate your feedback and hope that OfficeTools will continue to be a trusted part of your practice.

Sincerely,
The OfficeTools team

Christine M.
  • Industry: Accounting

Office Tools has been great. We can't imagine running things without it.

Reviewed on 2017/10/23

Office Tools replaced separate document management software, a time keeping/billing software, and a project tracking software. It's streamlined our process and allowed us to save tons of time for billable work.

Pros

The integration of difference functions has been the best part. Having contact info, project tracking, document management and time tracking/billing in one package has made things so much easier and streamlined our process.

Cons

The reporting in general is limited. The inability to combine information types (Contact, Billing, Project, Staff) into a single report is difficult. Currently, we create 2 different reports, export to excel and use formulas to combine the information. Skipping these extra steps would save so much time.
Also, allowing a custom recurrence pattern for projects (i.e. every 2 years) would be great.
Finally, many clients want to be able to specify a "Billing Only" e-mail address. Right now, I have to make that change manually for those clients each billing run.

Akore B.
  • Industry: Accounting

Saves me thousands of dollars and hours every year!

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

I used to track projects by emails in my inbox and files on the shelf, constantly putting out fires and dealing with what ever client was "on top of the stack".spending HOURS every day figuring out what I had to get done.....now the minute a project comes in (Via email,mail, or phone) I create a new Project in OfficeTools and I have an easily accessible, up to date task list of EVERYTHING I need to do. And I can assign tasks to staff, so my staff knows what to work on WITHOUT having to ask me. I cannot begin to quantify the dollars and hours this software has saved me.

Pros

The ability to quickly create and add items to a "ToDo list" and assign tasks to staff w/ documents attached (dragged straight from Outlook).

Cons

There is a learning curve - but that is to be expected with such robust software and customer support was great helping me learn features I couldn't figure out myself (since I refused to do the training and like to figure things out myself). Plus, the online tutorials were really great.

Mike A.
  • Industry: Accounting

We've used OfficeTools for last 3 years and find it very effective in our client relations.

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

Client info concentrated in one area. Easy classification of documents/emails for later retrieval. Accountant info can be specific to Project.

Pros

Projects allow us to ensure that Corporate info, Bookkeeping info and Personal Tax info gets properly sorted. Our use of Outlook Sync also ensures that our Office365 Inbox and Sent folders are captured to client's communication. Many shared documents are quickly categorized allowing for a quick, specific search of information.

Cons

Invoicing module currently only links to Quickbooks desktop for bookkeeping and we've been using Quickbooks Online for past 4 years. Support Team doesn't always comprehend our "real-life" situations and how we need to operate - thus leaving us not able to use OfficeTools to its full potential.

Matthew L.

Hard to find any other option that's as simple and powerful.

Reviewed on 2017/10/19

Great office hub.

Pros

70-80% of the features provided are very easy to use and very intuitive. The navigation getting from task to documents to calendar etc is super easy. You feel like a power user almost right away.

Documents and the portal system are easy to use and very intuitive. Same with ToDo's, Calls, and schedules. Instant success. Billing is easy at it's basic level but as you get into options and features it can take some time. A fair trade off for the feature set. Time tracking is available for evey screen in the software so that's great.

Cons

They have an amazing base product. They need to stop shooting them selves in the foot on updates, new feature roll out and customer relations. Examples are:
1. Pacific time support hours only. If your on the east coast and you have a problem in the morning, you get to deal with it until 11am. That's a problem.
2. No user community. Facebook and linked in are not user communities. They need to have a place for users to gather, ask and answer questions, and post information about services and updates so users can be informed.
3. Being proactive when there is a system wide issues. Like every software company, things happen from time to time. I have no problem with that. But when it does there should be an e-mail alert to all users and it should be posted in the user community. I should not have to check face book on the off chance something is posted.
4. Loosen control of system variables. The report function, which is very good, hits strong limits when you can only access certain variables from the system depending on the report type. There is no reason to limit access to variables. Multiple reps from inside the company agree with this and have for years, yet no change.
5. Online helps and training. Office tools has some excellent online videos and resources for using their software. But they tend to not be updated regularly and are hit and miss on what they cover and what they don't. There is little consistency in online help.
6. Out of room!!!

Andy D.
  • Industry: Accounting

love the software. It is the First program all staff opens in the morning and last to close

Reviewed on 2017/08/01

total organization running our office

Pros

We have been using the software since 2007. It runs our office. All client information is under one hood. We use it to track projects as they move thru the office,capturing time , archiving documents and processing our billing as we move thru the month. We schedule our appointments, track phone calls. We use the client portal as a secure way to deliver and receive documents. I highly recommend this software to all accounting firms. You will no longer miss project deadlines. You will capture more billable time and become more efficient in your daily operations.
Feel free to contact me for more user perspective

Mari R.

Office Tools

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

For the most part we are pleased with the functionality of Office Tools. The help sections needs to have a few more topics that it will help with.

Pros

It makes organizing files very easy. There are money sort options to choose from when searching for documents.
The time tracker is really useful when working on large accounts.

Cons

It does not require an account to have a designated number. It stores information by the name on the account. If there is ever a name change, (such as with a marriage or divorce) all documents assigned to the original name disappear.

Also in the billing feature, there is no report that you can run that will let you search by a specific invoice number.

Leticia R.

Office Tools

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

Office Tools is a nice data management software. It allows the user to keep track of a time card, which is crucial to a CPA firm.

Pros

I like the way it allows the user to drag source documents into the data management program. Emails are also easy to drag into. Most documents are easily dragged into the software program with ease. It also allows to keep track of projects and their progress. Nice feature.

Cons

I wish they had a better way to store the information. Yes there are the filters to bring up certain years and data. However, it would be a better software if the data were stored in folders. Where the folders were named and there reside the documents. They would be out of sight until one needs to search for certain information.

Brad W.
  • Industry: Accounting

OT brings together time & billing, project and document management, and client portal...

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

This software brought together several tools we were previously using into one seamless interface. The interface is intuitive and easy for people to learn and use.

Pros

We like that OT combines many tools into one system, including time & billing, project management, document management, and client portal. The system is very easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training for new staff. The interface is modern and the system really works well for our firm of about 40.

Cons

There are a lot of predefined reports and filters, but we wish there was more customization available, such as a report writer feature.

Jon V.
  • Industry: Accounting

Overall the program works well.

Reviewed on 2017/10/23

Pros

Project tracking and shared calenders

Cons

Users must have admin control over calendars to view them. It seems users need admin control to do just about anything if it involves other users. We sometimes hire temps. We need them to view the calendar and contacts but we don't trust them to edit them. We have had a number of appointments moved by mistake. We aren't notified about updated until we call in with a problem and are then told they will send us the update. Why aren't the updates pushed out?

Yitzchok M.

Great product for accounting professionals.

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

Pros

This program is a great program for any accounting office that has challenges in the time tracking and billing areas. The program is setup to track every minute that can be billed.

Cons

Two issues we found with the program. 1. The program uses a lot of memory thereby slowing the overall speed of the computer. 2. The user interface should be improved. Some of the features are too complicated.

Karen M.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great way to keep track of what projects my staff and I need are working on.

Reviewed on 2017/10/30

track my staff, track my workload

Pros

Staff time linked spent linked to the projects they are working on. This way I can analysis the best use of my staff time. This tracks their hours, which I use to pay them.

Cons

it seems expensive for a small accounting firm like mine, however, other programs have way too many options that I would not use and a much larger price tag.

Leilani E.

Wonderful product

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

Time saving in so many ways!!!!

Pros

Project tracking and assignments and not missing due dates. Activity list is very helpful for all employees to manage their clients and time better

Cons

When the portal is used, it is based on email instead of username. Once they program is updated, if the feature is changed we will consider using it.

David B.

Support has been difficult to get contact with or things finished

Time and Billing

Pros

It is exceptional in tracking time and write ups and downs, it is made for accountants. I does track expenses and notes on clients files

Cons

Having to call to the USA, they will not call you as they block the phone number they are calling from. Add in for linking with QB charges, Linking with Office, Charges

Tara T.

Working in Office Tools

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

Overall, this is a great system, and I would recommend it to other professionals.

Pros

I love how I can store all of my client documents in one system. As well as input time sheets, billing reports and notes.

Cons

I don't like the fact that I lose my saved document from my desktop when I move it into Office Tools.

Monica S.
  • Industry: Accounting

A real practice changer.....

Reviewed on 2017/10/23

We definitely capture more billable time. Less stress about billing. Great way to stay organized.

Pros

It is very flexible and allows for specific customization for our firm. It really keeps us organized and there is a lot less chance of missing deadlines.

Cons

Support staff at the lower level are not as helpful as they could be. I called on one issue 3 - 4 times and could not get someone who knew how to help me. Upper level folks resolved it with a few words.

Kevin M.
  • Industry: Accounting

Office Tools is the hub of our firm.

Reviewed on 2017/10/17

Pros

We use it to manage workflow and documents and it does a fantastic job. It has truly allowed us to go paperless with no loss of functionality and confidence that projects do not fall through the cracks.

Cons

The interface is a little clunky at times and could use a refresh. Also, with so many features there is a bit of a learning curve. It took me a few months to get used to the setting and how I wanted projects and to-dos to appear.

Beth S.

Captured lost time

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

The ability to capture billable time which in the past had been lost to non-chargeable admin time. The cost of the software was easily paid for with the additional billings.

Cons

I would like to be able to export lists and do more with reporting, data analysis.

Heather A.
  • Industry: Accounting

When I spoke to Nathan, he was very helpful and defiantly knowledgeable about Office Tools

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

This software allows me to do my job proficiently and with ease

Pros

I use this software every day and the ease of use is amazing. Very simple to learn. When we have a new employee, it is up to me to fully train this person on this software so they can be successful in their role in our company.

Cons

I honestly can't say anything bad about this software. I know my boss has mentioned the price going up, that's not good news!

Lori A.

Very easy to use and maintain

Reviewed on 2017/10/18

Memory! It remembers and captures all of my to dos, projects, passwords, etc.!

Pros

Even as a sole practitioner, this software helps me to manage my practice, deadlines, client notes and more. Never lose that piece of paper or thought about a client ever again!

Andrea H.

Office Tools Streamlined Our Office

Reviewed on 2018/10/08

During tax time, we no longer have to hunt for files or track down who has it or what's been worked on. Any questions for the client can be easily noted.

Pros

The software gives all of our employees an easy place to go to find out where files are, client status, etc. They can see what projects are assigned to them and move them on easily.

Cons

Customer service is good, but wait times are sometimes long.

Lisa W.

Overall satisfied.

Reviewed on 2017/10/27

Pros

OTP is very easy to use. There are a variety of reports available and the customer service is exceptional.

Cons

If you are itemizing a bill, there is no way to line it up. You have to export to word and do it that way.

Leibish L.

Great Product!!!

Reviewed on 2018/10/08

Since I started using Office Tools My workflow is more efficient and I everything in organized!

Pros

The projects and the time tracking. I have a schedule of what I need to do and I can easily time my work.

Cons

I can't delete the my contacts easily and I can't have one contact for business and individual.

Kylle L.
  • Industry: Accounting

I couldn't imagine running my practice without this software!

Reviewed on 2017/10/23

Pros

the reporting capabilities are great! I use these on a weekly, monthly and annual basis. It has helped me understand my practice so much deeper than before

Cons

No QBO automation with regard to the invoicing. Once we converted to QBO, I'm now having to record every invoice twice.