Backlog

Online project management tool for developers

4,5
Akhilesh M.
Industry: Telecommunications

Backlog has your back!

Reviewed on 2020/05/02

The product is clutter-free and any features that are added have simple use cases and helps in easier implementation. A good user interface to avoid daily hassles involved in bug/defect reporting daily as a tester.

Pros

Bug identification and creation have never been simpler. Its unique way to describe and categorize the issue at hand is well sorted and makes for a clean and understandable user experience.

Cons

There might be issues that are created and assigned by parts and during bug/defect identification and creation, assigning these bugs should have an option to assign multiple members instead of single-member.

Cabin Y.
Industry: Computer Games

Easy and Very Useful tool to manage projects

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

In general, gives a very good overview to the team and the project manager on who is doing what exactly. Following up on tasks that have not been completed is easy and is a very transparent way to work.

Pros

Can easily separate tasks through projects and milestones. I especially love the Gantt Chart and how each it is to use. Overall just great to see overall picture of how the project is doing and who is doing what.

Cons

I find it frustrating to changing Status only after creating the task. I wish I could change when I create a task if it was already Closed, Resolves or In Progress instead of always clicking each task and changing it manually. Feel very time consuming.

Mitchell S.
Industry: Computer Software

Backlog is a very useful tool

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Backlog has helped us better track software bugs and issues reported by our clients. It's definitely made our clients more satisfied with our service that we're now able to better keep track of, and respond to, the bugs and issues they raise.

Pros

I like the way Backlog helps us keep track of bugs and issues and which member of our team is assigned to them. Keeping track of bugs and issues that our clients raise is one of the areas that we struggle the most with, and Backlog helps us address this potential shortcoming.

Cons

Some parts of the interface can be a little counter-intuitive to navigate. I think the next iteration of the Backlog interface could go a long way to make the tool easier to use, smoother, and even more useful.

Industry: Pharmaceuticals
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Easy to learn quality program

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/25

Overall excellent app for a great cost that your team has control over. You get to pay for the level your team will use without the burden of overwhelming excess features. Definitely recommend.

Pros

I've been trying out a lot of project management software lately and I think Backlog is a strong contender among them. It's quick to learn and the UI is sleek and appealing. It has all the essential features for project tracking and coordination. I liked the inclusion of the Wiki as well, and I like the tiered subscription model they use, making it easy to find a level of feature availability that suites your team's needs.

Cons

There isn't anything major that stands out. There's room for more options and features (more specificity in the prioritization area, maybe) but it has all the essentials from what I can tell.

Vivek O.

My experience for backlog is awesome.

Reviewed on 2017/09/01

Pros

It has given a great platform to collaborate for work.
We manage many of our projects on backlog which makes us more efficient and we can focus on more work rather than hitch-ups due to processes and management.
Great tool.

Cons

Yes, if you talk about cons I do feel there is need for internal documents creation like Excel ppt etc.
If I want to make some data or have issue which requires tabular form, I don't have much options than just to create an excel and attach it's links.

Bhadra A.
Industry: Retail

Good Experience

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

After using Backlog, each project management has been improved: better time management, better updates in team during project progress

Pros

- project management based
- easy to use and create project/issue

Cons

- some part confusing in terms of UI
- people who was notified at first time issue created, wont be automatically notified if not mention in notify people when make comment/update

Review for Backlog

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Pros

It's easy to manage task on Gantt Chart. I can see status, edit start time and end time,...without having to refresh the page.

Cons

When i review pull request on Backlog, i can't see the number of deleted line, added line and total changed line. Github has this feature.

Santhosh rao M.

Best Review Software

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

I am able to fix my development issues easily with backlog. Thanks

Pros

I can easily found out my issues raised by tester.

Cons

Nothing found so far. If possible, provide web push notifications.

Jeremy C.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Backlog for the Win

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Pros

We use backlog everyday to track various projects withing our department. The easy of adding new items to the log and quickly finding them is a plus.

Cons

Only thing we really need is an approval based system that ties into Backlog for change management. Often times approval are required to be shown in the business world.

Suzanne L.

Overall not a bad experience

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

Pros

ease of use

Cons

one feature that your tools does not provide is the ability to put more people in the loop for CC and notify automatically if there is an update

Anuj R.
Industry: Research

I would recommend this software

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Overall it is an awesome tool.

Pros

It improves connectivity among employees and is very user friendly

Cons

The search button present at different location does not work the same way.

Gaurav T.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Extremely Easy to use and Quicker!

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

Its a good project management and bug tracking tool.

Pros

- Backlog is quite faster in terms of search
- Dashboard and other projects related stuffs are well organized
- Rich functionalities for project management

Cons

One thing I noticed in Backlog is listing of parent issue and sub issue, its showing both of them when we assigned an issue to some parent issue, it should only show the parent one and when click on that parent issue it will open up the sub issues if it have any.

Shannon F.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great Project Management Tool!

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Being able to separate and track small issues as well as categorize larger projects has been a huge help. Also, by assigning tasks to individuals, it holds them accountable to their responsibilities and tracks the timeline of progress.

Pros

-Ease of use
-Bridging communication between teams
-Trackability of projects/issues
-Having a separate tool for project management, which helps minimize email clutter

Cons

haven't found any, yet!

Carissa F.
Industry: Education Management

Backlog for integration into Workday

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/11/18

Pros

It has good functionality for setting deadlines, tagging people, and notifications.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at the moment as something to dislike.

Bhopal S.

Excellent

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Overall experience is excellent.

Pros

It is very user-friendly, we can manage the display according to our need.

Cons

I Like it. Status change feature could be changed, we should have a quick status change feature.

Dennis K.
Company size: Self Employed

Awesome product for freelance business!

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

Overall it has been great. It has helped me organize my freelance business and that means happier clients and more money in the pocket!

Pros

The board is extremely intuitive and easy to use. It is very easy to add notes, change status of the ticket, and track where the project is currently at.

Cons

It could be nice to have the ability to add and delete columns from the board for different custom stages of the projects that I am working on. I have used some other bug trackers, and it has come in handy there.

David M.
Industry: Design

Great free version

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Pros

The free version is great, and the paid functionality seems awesome.

Cons

It has a comprehensive set of tools for managing different aspects of the company, and sometimes it is a bit overwhelming.

Ivan B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros

neat design supporting easy of use
all necessary functions available on-click
excellent for agile approach
clear and easy administration of projects, people etc.
integration with email and MS Excel (exports)
subtasking
no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users
fast and responsive design
standalone application for iOS

Cons

nothing essential
maybe more storage space included in plans
better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

New Custom Software Tester

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Pros

Last year, I started working as an [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a custom software company and before I started here, I had no experience in the field. I started testing to learn more about the development side and was then introduced to Backlog. Backlog has helped make the learning process smooth for me. As someone who enjoys lists, this site is great. It helps me prioritize and communicate thoroughly.

Cons

I wish I use use multiple filters. For example, under the category "not closed" I am trying to test just the ones listed as "bugs" so I have it filtered to show me just the bugs under this category. But I also want to go from oldest to newest but when I click that, it shows me all of the issues in that order.

Chiara G.
Industry: Telecommunications

Chiara

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

It is good compared to other product ex. Jira

Pros

I like that is easy to use but some features have to be more accurate.

Cons

It is not always easy to understand where you are. There are a lot of functionalities but not always are clear

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Excellent ,easy to adopt,easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

We are using the Backlog tool on 2 projects with a total of c. 30 people involved. For one of those, it is used solely as an issue tracker. For the other one, it is used as the main tool for managing the project( keeping the track of backlog items, version, milestones, question, improvements....) Wiki is widely used for changelogs and manuals. Project documentation is stored in the Files section.
The whole team ( especially the upper management) is really satisfied with the tool and we will keep on using it for upcoming projects.
It also has gained some traction in the entire company so other teams are using it with the same results and satisfaction.

Pros

- easy to use
- Wiki functionality
- ability to add a custom category and issue types
- dashboard and recent activity
- search functionality works excellent
- support team

Cons

- lacks the ability to add custom status for issues (starter plan)
- mail notifications are sent to the assignees only, but not the one notified in the notify field

Mathieu L.
Company size: Self Employed

Great tool for product dev

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

Issues are now well qualified, documented, categorized, with priority, easy to focus on what needs to be done

Pros

This is a great tool to organize dev, see how it goes, what needs to be done, who's in charge of what. It really helped me to make my projects live and faster than before using this great tool

Cons

I wish the mobile app would have been more developed to have the same features as on web version

Deny P.
Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Common software in Japanese Company

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

I use this software maintaining the offshore project from Japan, this software mostly good, never hang or shut down, because this software conduct the maintenance after the office work.

Overall this software is good for maintaining the projects.

Pros

1. We can attach project file into the software.
2. We can track by the project category.

Cons

The interface not so attractive, that's why Japanese people mostly like this software.

Miguel G.
Industry: Graphic Design

Feature rich project management program

Reviewed on 2018/04/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The features I found in Backlog are often those you only get to experience in the higher-end products. Backlog provides multiple subscription levels that provide various features based on your organization's needs. The features are distributed among these subscriptions in a smart way, allowing you move between these levels as needed. It has an intuitive design and is quite easy to use.

Pros

Backlog offers 5 account levels, including a free version that provides plenty of its features to take it for a spin. Feature rich project management tool that does more than just manage stories and tasks at a project level. Competitive pricing includes issue tracking, code review, collaboration, and much more. One of exceptional benefit that exceeded my expectation was the inclusion of a Wiki, something that most project management tools do not include or charge extra for access. This is a big plus for development teams. Track milestones, store files, and much more from an affordable tool that does not nickle and dime you. Easy to setup and use. Great dashboard for an overall view of your projects... very functional.

Cons

Cannot really test out some of the features in the higher subscriptions unless you upgrade. But maybe worth the shot, as their price levels are not all that bad. As with any tool that has increased features and capabilities, there is a bit of a learning curve when compared to other products.

Vito M.
Industry: Government Administration

Excellent for bug tracking

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Pros

Backlog enables you to register and track bugs on your system, being an agile and easy-to-use tool for any type of user. It has several options for bug tracking, from version and tag specifics to a wiki for quick reference and consistency of information. In addition, the ability to include users to be notified about a bug's resolution, without necessarily being the creator or assignee, is very good and functional!

Cons

While creating an issue, if the company has already standardized a way to include them, Backlog does not indicate if a bug has already been registered, causing the multi-user test routine to become a bit messy and / or repetitive if they do not check the list before including the issue.