Backlog Reviews

Backlog

Online project management tool for developers

4.5/5 (48 reviews)
Hai N.

Some Uncomfortable

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Very good expect 2 thinks above

Pros

- Grantt chart and burndown chart..

Cons

1. It's "Copy custom Fields From other Project" in [Project Settings] -> [Custom Field]
=> I dont know why "(※ Relation with issue types not copied)". It's very uncomfortable for me and someone manage like me.
=> Our Company have Standard Custom Field for all Project about 100 Custom FIled and some Custom Issue Type. When I Open the new Project , I just wanna Copy all Custom Field and Issue Type from Old Project.
But not like this, just copy Customfield and Availabes all Issue types. After that, I must to click 1 by 1 to fix, or delete. It's take many time from me. how long i will spent for fix that with 100 custom Field and Custom Issue Type????
Please think about that. and fix this
I just want to Copy all Custom Field + Issue Type from the old Project to New Project. and button delete all Custom Field
2. It's Add a Group of member to Old/Archive Project.
=> It's very hard. I have alrd 100+ project archive and click 1 by 1 to add a Group member. so bad.really bad.
Please add a Button add a Group of member to all Project or atleast let our choose list project to add.

Daniel O.

At first Backlog seems like a bit much but now our team could not function with out it.

Reviewed on 2017/08/31

Streamlined workflow and the ability to see who's accountable for what and where projects are.

It's help us stay on track and keep projects under budget and on time.

Pros

It's task oriented without feeling like a burden. Other project management tools I've used feel like glorified lists but Backlog offers a lot more.

Getting your team on board is difficult but the flow of using Backlog makes sense and came natural for us. We work 100% remotely so if it didn't work we would know right away something wasn't right.

Cons

For us, one of the strengths about Backlog is the integrations with Typetalk. We use both but I do with they were more tightly integrated.

For example, simply using at mentions on Backlog. Messages from Backlog issues go to Typetalk and we use @username to create an alert on Typetalk at the same time.

This might be particular to our team but it's really helpful. When I type (@) on a Backlog comment or description I want the list of usernames to show.

Ivan B.

backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros

neat design supporting easy of use
all necessary functions available on-click
excellent for agile approach
clear and easy administration of projects, people etc.
integration with email and MS Excel (exports)
subtasking
no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users
fast and responsive design
standalone application for iOS

Cons

nothing essential
maybe more storage space included in plans
better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

Excellent ,easy to adopt,easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

We are using the Backlog tool on 2 projects with a total of c. 30 people involved. For one of those, it is used solely as an issue tracker. For the other one, it is used as the main tool for managing the project( keeping the track of backlog items, version, milestones, question, improvements....) Wiki is widely used for changelogs and manuals. Project documentation is stored in the Files section.
The whole team ( especially the upper management) is really satisfied with the tool and we will keep on using it for upcoming projects.
It also has gained some traction in the entire company so other teams are using it with the same results and satisfaction.

Pros

- easy to use
- Wiki functionality
- ability to add a custom category and issue types
- dashboard and recent activity
- search functionality works excellent
- support team

Cons

- lacks the ability to add custom status for issues (starter plan)
- mail notifications are sent to the assignees only, but not the one notified in the notify field

Deny P.

Common software in Japanese Company

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

I use this software maintaining the offshore project from Japan, this software mostly good, never hang or shut down, because this software conduct the maintenance after the office work.

Overall this software is good for maintaining the projects.

Pros

1. We can attach project file into the software.
2. We can track by the project category.

Cons

The interface not so attractive, that's why Japanese people mostly like this software.

Miguel F.

Well designed and extremely easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Tracking software issues across a dispersed organization. Worked great!

Pros

Intuitive software that you can use without instruction. Upon sign-on immediately see what has recently happened and easy to click on items needing your attention. Great way to organize and collaborate on issues with a diverse team in different locations.

Cons

Not much I didn't like. Perhaps the ability to add a custom field or a more fine-grained priority field (Low, Medium, High) so as to make sure people are looking next at the most pressing issue.

Miguel G.

Feature rich project management program

Reviewed on 2018/04/15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The features I found in Backlog are often those you only get to experience in the higher-end products. Backlog provides multiple subscription levels that provide various features based on your organization's needs. The features are distributed among these subscriptions in a smart way, allowing you move between these levels as needed. It has an intuitive design and is quite easy to use.

Pros

Backlog offers 5 account levels, including a free version that provides plenty of its features to take it for a spin. Feature rich project management tool that does more than just manage stories and tasks at a project level. Competitive pricing includes issue tracking, code review, collaboration, and much more. One of exceptional benefit that exceeded my expectation was the inclusion of a Wiki, something that most project management tools do not include or charge extra for access. This is a big plus for development teams. Track milestones, store files, and much more from an affordable tool that does not nickle and dime you. Easy to setup and use. Great dashboard for an overall view of your projects... very functional.

Cons

Cannot really test out some of the features in the higher subscriptions unless you upgrade. But maybe worth the shot, as their price levels are not all that bad. As with any tool that has increased features and capabilities, there is a bit of a learning curve when compared to other products.

Nguyen N.

Good services with the best price

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Pros

Cons

need add more than status check (current status: open, In progress, Resolved, Closed) need add more (Review)

Vivek O.

My experience for backlog is awesome.

Reviewed on 2017/09/01

Pros

It has given a great platform to collaborate for work.
We manage many of our projects on backlog which makes us more efficient and we can focus on more work rather than hitch-ups due to processes and management.
Great tool.

Cons

Yes, if you talk about cons I do feel there is need for internal documents creation like Excel ppt etc.
If I want to make some data or have issue which requires tabular form, I don't have much options than just to create an excel and attach it's links.

Bhadra A.

Good Experience

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

After using Backlog, each project management has been improved: better time management, better updates in team during project progress

Pros

- project management based
- easy to use and create project/issue

Cons

- some part confusing in terms of UI
- people who was notified at first time issue created, wont be automatically notified if not mention in notify people when make comment/update

Sandeep G.

we are love to use backlog

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

Pros

I liked the way of bugs maintenance and having simple ui to understand by the non technical persons as well.

Cons

mail structure. In mail try to add bug status in front. (closed or added). In mobile push notifications we are unable to differentiate whether it is added or closed.

Review for Backlog

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Pros

It's easy to manage task on Gantt Chart. I can see status, edit start time and end time,...without having to refresh the page.

Cons

When i review pull request on Backlog, i can't see the number of deleted line, added line and total changed line. Github has this feature.

Hoàng N.

Work smarter with Backlog!!!

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

Friendly, easy to use, easy to manage, work more efficiently. However, we need to notify the user (via email) when the server has problems to be able to organize the work

Pros

Unlike the Github, GitLab ..., Backlog allows me to have an overview when the project has multiple modules, each module needs a separate git repos.

Cons

I have trouble verifying who committed the code when viewed on the git tool of the Backlog

Peter M.

A great alternative ticketing system for teams

Reviewed on 2018/03/26
Review Source

Pros

We're using the basic plan and it provides us a great deal of flexibility for our teams. It allows us to keep track of items really easily and submit via email, etc is a breeze. Our users are finding it very easy to get into the system and are seeing quicker responses to their queries.

Features of the system are great and what you would see in more expensive alternatives. Pricing per company is excellent compared to per seat as well.

Cons

Make sure you setup on the right plan to start your trial as you cannot change while you are on trial which is somewhat challenging if you setup a stack of work prior to your change. Apart from this support has been great when needed and the service runs quickly and smoothly.

This service is very good.

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

We use Backlog to track all the work in the department. All the documentation is stored in Backlog. It's very convienant.

Pros

The software works well. It makes it easy to track what everyone in the group is accomplishing each day.

Cons

When we send emails to Backlog, embedded pictures are lost. We work around it but it would be better if it just worked. Additional reporting would be nice to have.

Vito M.

Excellent for bug tracking

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Pros

Backlog enables you to register and track bugs on your system, being an agile and easy-to-use tool for any type of user. It has several options for bug tracking, from version and tag specifics to a wiki for quick reference and consistency of information. In addition, the ability to include users to be notified about a bug's resolution, without necessarily being the creator or assignee, is very good and functional!

Cons

While creating an issue, if the company has already standardized a way to include them, Backlog does not indicate if a bug has already been registered, causing the multi-user test routine to become a bit messy and / or repetitive if they do not check the list before including the issue.

Santhosh rao M.

Best Review Software

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

I am able to fix my development issues easily with backlog. Thanks

Pros

I can easily found out my issues raised by tester.

Cons

Nothing found so far. If possible, provide web push notifications.

Jeremy C.

Backlog for the Win

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Pros

We use backlog everyday to track various projects withing our department. The easy of adding new items to the log and quickly finding them is a plus.

Cons

Only thing we really need is an approval based system that ties into Backlog for change management. Often times approval are required to be shown in the business world.

Carmen G.

Backlog Review

Reviewed on 2018/04/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Solid PM tool with flexible pricing options.

Pros

Solid Project Management tool for software development teams. Interface is intuitive and training is minimal. Good reporting and project communication capabilities.

Cons

Sometimes the more advanced features you are looking for are only available in the higher cost subscriptions.

Devaraj R.

Excellent Tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

It helps us a lot to track all the issues and also it helps to take action on issues in a timely manner

Pros

1. Easy to use, not an complicated one.
2. Quick alerts, easy to track all posted issues
3. I'll recommend more

Cons

I'm fully satisfied and I didn't see any cons over here

Suzanne L.

Overall not a bad experience

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

Pros

ease of use

Cons

one feature that your tools does not provide is the ability to put more people in the loop for CC and notify automatically if there is an update

Prabu L.

Backlog review

Reviewed on 2019/03/25

We can track the issue's status but its does not have completion percentage of the issue. Improve UI

Pros

issue type and tags. Easy to create new issue/task

Cons

Need to concentrate on User Interface so that user can easily access the app

Angus J.

Simple and does what you need it to

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

Easy to use and allows our team to do what we need to without getting in the way.

Cons

A few additional QoL additions onto the features that are already here would be great (such as multiple assignees).

Đặng H.

Backlog need to be changed and improved

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

Sorry but the truth is inconvenience for me. I hope Backlog can do more for me and my project.
I can't have the statistics I want at Home, I can't see overall my project ...
I Hope Backlog can be developed and help us more in the future.

Pros

The color of issue can be changed, I can customize the characteristics of issue for each project.

Cons

when I filter all issue of project , it shows parents issue and sub-issue. If I click on the arrow, which is head of parent issue, Backlog shows all of sub-issue of that parent issue, which are showed before. So many issues are showed twice. It can make me confused.
I think Backlog shoud list parent issue and issue has no parent issue. About issue has parent issue, you can hide and when user click on the arrow, it can be showed.

3.0/10
Alex R.

Backlog

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/03/04

Various team planning projects organized with the developers, organizers of activities, the testing and support team. It is wonderful the system of assignment of tasks and notifications that allows to always take the project to the day and with the priorities to solve.

Pros

Easy to use and practical for manage projects and teams

Cons

The attachment files is not very much easy to use, it may be better