Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Jarom S.

Great customer support

Reviewed on 2019/02/10

Onshape is really nice for working on a project with other people because of the realtime edits you can do. It is kind of like a google doc where everyone can be there working and changing things. It has worked really well in our little startup group.

Pros

There are three things that I have really enjoyed with Onshape. I love that it is cloud based. No more having to save, or worry about losing anything. I also love using is the versions tree. This helps a lot in design to be able to make different versions and compare them easily and quickly. Lastly, their customer service has been spot on. Their team checks in on us regularly to make sure we are doing okay and I have been able to easily schedule a time with someone to help me build a part that I am struggling to build. They are very patient and willing to help in any way.

Cons

The surfacing still has a ways to go, but has been improving over the last year, so I expect it to provide most any feature needed. The only other complaint is the multiple selection feature. Instead of using shift or control to select multiple items, it is set so you can just click anything and it adds it to the selection group(without pressing any other button). While this might sound nice, it gets really annoying and you end up selecting multiple features/parts/items without wanting to.

Simon C.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Very happy with this modern cloud based solution with 5 stars customer support!

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Cost effective modern cloud based solution that is efficient, powerful and secure.

Pros

OnShape is a simple-to-use yet powerful parametric modern cloud based software that allows me to collaborate easily with my team.

Forget about heavy and expensive CAD work station. I've been most of all my mechanical design on a MacBook Air in Safari.

As a frequent traveler, I can access and work on my model on any computer as long as there's reasonable internet connection and google chrome.

The data system is so powerful that I've never experienced a single error message caused by data corruption. This was a serious problem I had with Solidworks in the past. Since it's a cloud based system, my data is securely backed up with full traceability down to every single change I made to the model.

Whenever I have questions or see a bug in the system, I can easily report it to OnShape's technical using the feedback system. Bugs are usually fixed within days after it's reported.

Forget about upgrading or installing new patches, it's always the latest version as soon as you login. Thanks to it's cloud based technology! OnShape is frequently updated so that patches and new features can be incorporated in no time!

Cons

The only issue I have is offline access to the models I have OnShape. OnShape does provide the option of exporting models into numerous formats so that you could open them with conventional non-cloud based software.

However, I still have trouble opening them with common software like eDrawings.

Ultimate, I would prefer to have an OnShape software on my computer that could sync the data I would like to view whenever I go offline. This is important, as I don't always have an internet connection when I need to present my models to my client when traveling overseas. So it'd be great if OnShape could look at better view-only offline support. Where I can view a read-only model and jot down comments. When I'm back online, I can edit it on my browser.

Jianyou X.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A Great CAD Service!

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

Overall, Onshape is great! It helps me efficiently create and design projects in CAD and I have had a very good time using this software. The cons are evened out by the countless pros, and I would probably recommend this software to anyone seeking a higher level of CAD, but not so much so like industrial CAD softwares.

Pros

I really liked Onshape because of how many features it had to design, create, and manipulate something in CAD. The software is very similar to Solidworks and does a lot of what Solidworks can do for free! It offers a lot of lessons for rookies and is generally a great platform for people who are transitioning from a simple CAD software like Tinkercad, to something more complicated. For me, I have used Onshape to quickly and efficiently produce 3d parts for various different projects and everything turned out really well. Also, everything made on Onshape can be saved and uploaded to other CAD softwares, this creates flexibility and allows me to make changes on my designs on many different platforms.

Cons

Even though Onshape is great at doing the simple stuff, it lacks a lot of what industrial CAD Softwares provide. On Onshape, I can create something very easily, but, unlike other CAD softwares, I cannot test what I have made in systems like changes in thermal conditions and applying forces to my designs. These tools are very common in other industrial CAD softwares and I was very disappointed that Onshape did not provide these services.

Rick B.
  • Industry: Defense & Space
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Instant CAD functionality presented in a brand new way!

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

OnShape has helped me to do designs of my ideas right where I am, no matter if the computer has CAD installed or not. It has enabled me to keep all my CAD files in one place and always accessible. I have been able to present designs to clients and keep them posted of progress in much easier ways that traditional CAD allows. I would highly recommend OnShape to anyone who is looking for a fresh idea in their CAD sphere.

Pros

What I like the most about OnShape is that it is based in the cloud. It is so convenient that I don't have to install an application on my computer to use it, but rather, it just works. OnShape has taken the idea of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and given an entirely new spin to it, introducing unique ways of performing mates (which I love), as well as integral versioning of parts. The mobile app is also amazing and makes life so much easier!

Cons

As with any cloud platform, if your bandwidth is not great, you're going to have a bad time. The platform tends to lag at high internet usage times in my area, but not too much to complain about. I also found it difficult to use the platform the first few times due to the lack of built in tutorials.

David R.
  • Industry: Design

Hands down, Onshape is my favorite software I've ever used.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

It's extremely fast. I never lose my work because it's all saved online. I can use a crummy computer and still work fast. I can collaborate with my coworkers seamlessly.

Pros

I love, love, love the collaboration. I can share files with customers and they will always see the latest version. My boss can work on the assembly while I work on the parts. I can move a tapped hole, and each part updates accordingly.

I love that it's 100% online. I hate downloading in general, so any time I can avoid it I do. The fact that there are significant updates (that I don't have to download or buy a new licence for) every 3 weeks is just icing on the cake. I love that my work gets saved automatically.

The fact that customer service is so responsive and receptive to suggestions is absolutely amazing.

Cons

It crashes pretty often. Nothing is lost, it's just kind of annoying.
A lot of features will fail if you don't select the right face, but the warning messages don't say that. They just say "failed to generate"

Dan E.

Unparalleled next-gen CAD

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Overall, Onshape has been awesome for my business. The customer support is nearly instant and absolutely top-notch. I love all of the forward-thinking, bleeding-edge features that Onshape is continually bringing to the table.

Pros

True cloud-CAD, unlike some fakers (*cough* Fusion360).
It's amazing to never have to save or send files.
No downloads, no installation, nothing. Just hope on your browser and start modeling.
Onshape is extremely forward thinking and always releasing updates and improvements.
Live sharing with clients offers us a huge advantage over our competitors

Cons

Some of the available apps are left wanting. It would be nice if rendering and other important features like kinematics, etc. were integrated into Onshape instead of requiring outside apps.

James S.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Onshape is an intuitive, accessible, and increasingly powerful CAD Package.

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

Ability to collaborate with others and develop products from any device, anywhere in the world.

Pros

I like that it provides full functionality for free, and I appreciate that it is easy to use for beginners, but also extremely customizable (using its open FeatureScript language) for us expert users. It doesn't have a typical PDM system, but rather a very intuitive way to compare, branch, and merger different versions of the same design. The ability to collaborate in real time is unbelievable, and allows me to work alongside my clients, which they love. No more waiting for an email update or the new CAD files.

Cons

There is no graphics lag, but sometimes, it takes a while to access larger assemblies (couple hundred components). The performance increases each month (as does the global internet bandwidth) but it still loses today in a heads-up speed race against a local CAD program on a high-performance machine.

Shaun S.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Onshape have been fantastic right from the Beta stage when we joined them

Reviewed on 2017/08/12

Cloud based straight away opened up so many potentials for us as a new startup company. The feature list has constantly been expanding and covered our minimum requirements very quickly, and now is bursting with fantastic features and a very helpful support team behind it.

Pros

Fully cloud based
Great existing features
New features every 3 weeks
Support team are fantastic and responsive - so far always responded on the same day
Actively listen to new feature requests
App store provides great 3rd party functionality
The Featurescript addition provides so much flexibility

Cons

The folder organisation could do with some enhancements
Auto part labelling would be a massive help
Animated movie functions would be great

Connor S.

My favorite software I have ever used. You couldn't pay me to go back to Solidworks.

Reviewed on 2017/08/16

Pros

-Revision history of every document, back to the beginning of time.
-Never lose any work
-Easy and natural collaboration around the world
-Branching and merging
-Monthly automatic updates
-Built in scripting language allows unparalleled customization.
-Very well thought out GUI and tools makes parametric design natural

Cons

-Fewer tools than solidworks
-Internet connection always required (but who can really work without one?)
-Surfacing tools are still fairly basic (though constantly improving)

Liza S.
  • Industry: Machinery

OnShape is easy to use. Easy to make the move from another CAD system.

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

Accessible anywhere internet is accesible

Pros

I love that I can hop onto any computer and access all my documents that I may need. I love that I am able to do full editing from any computer as well. I love that customer support always answers so quickly and will help you with your problem. They even help with work arounds, if what you want is not now accessible. I love that they have updates every few weeks and notify us about them. They come in handy! When mating assemblies, fewer mates are needed when compared to other CAD systems.
Love that I can "follow" someone and view their screen.
OnShape is improving every weekly and I'm loving it more and more.

Cons

Dislike when I want to share only one specific version with a certain person, they still have the option to view "Main", which is work in process.

Max D.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Overall it has been excellent!

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

Portability
Rapid development time
No capital expense for software, able to lump cost into monthly overhead (not good long term solution, but good for startups)

Pros

Portability
Ease of creation
Equation driven parts and open source code
Excellent rendering
The data compression has improved immensely over the past year, much less hangups and lag in the upload/download.

Cons

No "offline mode" application. That would be hugely helpful when the internet connection bogs down or goes out. It grinds production to a halt. This is a major deterrent to continuing to use Onshape as my major cad program as my company scales.

Importing other cad models depending on file type can be difficult.

Marshall W.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Very Intuitive and Feature Dense; Consistently Being Improved

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Pros

The ability to create part studios has made modeling complex assemblies vastly easier than in previous CAD software. The features are constantly being updated and the customer support has been excellent.

Cons

Maybe it's our internet, maybe it's something else, but I frequently get kicked out of the part studio and have to refresh my page. This happens multiple times a day, and isn't a detractor/I don't lose any progress, but it is annoying.

Response from Onshape

Hi Marshall! Thanks for your review of Onshape. Sorry to hear you're experiencing some annoyances with connectivity. I'd encourage you to submit a Support ticket the next time you experience this if you haven't yet. I'm your Customer Success Manager, so please feel free to reach out to me if I can help you with anything else!

Carlos A.

A wonderful CAD software

Reviewed on 2018/05/31

Best CAD ever

Pros

I'm sure the best Onshape feature is its super user-friendly interface, very, very good. I loved it an how the software still looking like a CAD software. Of all the CAD softwares I used, is Onshape that still with me till today

Cons

I don't even consider it a con, once each software has its purpose and limitations, but sometimes some tools seems a little limited

Christian S.
  • Industry: Maritime

Easy to learn but powerful 3D CAD that runs on any device. Think Google Docs for CAD.

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

Recreated a 92 year old 160 feet wooden schooner. The ultimate goal is to preserve the vessel in a digital format for education and future restoration projects. In the process of 3D printing the model in 1/60 scale.

Pros

1) intuitive, clean and accessible user interface.
2) cloud based which runs on any device. No powerful hardware required. You can CAD on your couch on your iPad.
3) no files, no installs, no hassle
4) great support

Cons

1) larger models with hundreds of parts and lots of features become a bit slow.
2) need more surface and spline features.

Chris R.
  • Industry: Plastics

This is an Awesome Versatile Product, that has transformed our CAD usage.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Mobility and Sharing has been the best benefits. Power to do work required without having to depend on special Video drivers compatibility or a Race Horse computer.

Pros

Always available on any device. And the power to do the types of tasks we need for engineering in our business. Don't lose data. Conversion capability is seamless, especially between CAD systems and CAM systems. Tutorials are a blessing for instructing how to use.

Cons

Not available when we are not on-line. This is not a game changer unless I am in a cave somewhere. Some commands we don't have available, but haven't mastered the open source code to make commands ourselves. Some of the 3rd party apps are not well documented.

Matthew G.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Overall positive with a pretty bright future of continued product improvement.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Simple cloud access to my CAD models including simplified team modeling collaboration.

Pros

I really love how much the Onshape setup promotes top down modeling, especially with the new in context editing. Being able to access my models anywhere on any device is really a huge plus, though sometimes slow internet can be a hassle. Feature script is a pretty awesome program, and I love the possibilities it opens up.

Cons

There is still pretty limited functionality as far as modeling goes. It definitely isn't the most powerful CAD modeling tool out there, but they are working really hard and releasing new updates every 3 weeks, so I'm confident that it will eventually get caught up with other big name programs. Drawings are still lacking. And I don't love how they promote 3rd party software for performing a lot of functions that other packages would include.

Simon M.
  • Industry: Building Materials

I was with Solid works _ overall I prefer Onshape

Continual update
Simple ( bit basic)
Mobile device use
Spreads payment to monthly

Pros

Ease of use and auto save online - also the ability to view and edit on my cell phone is very handy

Version control is good, but needs more intuitive feel

Cons

Cannot folder design tree - can get toooooo long and clumsy
No ability to save a screen view - CAD images in screen - as a jpg
I find the assembly management not intuitive - a bit clumsy

The online requirement has not bothered me much - I thought it would!

Ernest R.

Great software

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Access. Ease of use. Works well. Stable.

Pros

Ease of use. Much easier than Fusion 360. Somewhat easier than Solidworks.

Minimal hardware requirements. Can work from any computer, anywhere there is Internet.

I really like being able to make multiple parts within a Studio. This saves time and eliminates the need to create assemblies for parts that have a fixed relationship.

Good value, especially considering that no special hardware is required.

Cons

Must have a good Internet connection. Too many features rely on third-party vendors. Still not fully comfortable with having proprietary files under someone else's control.

Chris S.
  • Industry: Design

Highly portable and always improving

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

The cost benefit of using Onshape versus any traditional installed CAD was a major factor in chosing. With traditional CAD not only is a license to use the product very expensive, but each year you must pay an additional fee to receive the updates. On top of the software costs you must also have a PC suitable to run that software. With Onshape I have a reasonable yearly subscription and the only installed software required is a web browser.

Pros

My number one favorite feature is the portability. This software is the most available CAD software out there. No software to install, all I need is a web browser and I am right there with my projects. No other parametric CAD system can match that.

Cons

The biggest con I have for the software is the lack of features. However, due to its roots in the web the software is always being updated and features are always being added.

Sebastian G.

Don't worry about saving files, just concentrate on your work!

Reviewed on 2017/10/26

You can log on from every computer and you can share the files easily! I have the feeling to be more productive with Onshape!

Pros

The fact that Onshape is not file based is its main advantage! You can just start designing parts, assemblies and drawings. You don't have to think about file names, you can rename them later. This helps a lot getting things done quickly. After 2 weeks I still get the feeling "Oh I have created a lot of features, I have to save now!" but in Onshape this is not necessary, it saves every step :-)
Also you have a complete history of every change, which is really nice!

The rendering and simulation software I use, are both already working with Onshape (much better than my previous CAD software)!

Cons

Some features are missing at the moment, but they are coming in the future.

I wished I had Onshape 5 years ago, would have saved me from a lot of headaches.

Justin W.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Awesome! (Extra words couldn't improve on it.)

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Fast, efficient, effective design with comprehensive modelling and drawing functionality.

It is easy to learn - particularly once you understand the basics.
Learning this from scratch might take a few months to get comfortable using the software, after that mostly it is downhill (easy).

It is a fast advancing company - barely giving you a chance to get up to date with all the new features, and along come the next set of really great & useful features!

Highly recommend it!

Pros

Useability: Ease of use, accessibility, support mostly do their best to listen, understand & IMPLEMENT requests!

Cons

Very rarely there is a "wish that this could be used 'offline'" - but ultimately know that it defeats the purpose of the "Cloud" concept.

Otherwise it is just a really young company - & considering all that, they are doing really well!

Jason D.
  • Industry: Design

Using fully functional CAD anywhere is the best part of Onshape.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Fully functional CAD at a great price.

Pros

Using it on any device with an internet connection. Having access to all of my models on the go and being able to collaborate with other team members.

Cons

It can still use a few of the more advanced features, but I know they are working on it. Large models on a slow or weak connection can take awhile to load and modify.

• Industry: Research

Onshape Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Pros

Onshape is designed by engineers who made SolidWorks so it is almost as powerful and intuitive. The biggest advantage is that Onshape is completely online, and doesn't ​require downloading of bulky software on the local drive. The online aspect allows you to work from any computer, and have your personal workspace​ ready for you, and it makes collaboration very easy.

Cons

No cons so far, I'm loving everything about Onshape.

Ryan A.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

I love it! The ability to jump from computer to computer and revision control cleaned up!

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

My work has become significantly more organized, which I desperately needed!

Pros

Speed (once updating, computer, windows, internet)
Master modeling capabilities and part management within documents.
Revision and history control!
Being about to share designs with clients that are not software savy over the phone.

Cons

All functionality of solidworks isn't there (love the improvements every 3 weeks)
Drawing capabilities are lagging but are getting better.

Emeka O.
  • Industry: Higher Education

OnShape is an amazing 3D CAD software.

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

I've had a great experience using OnShape so far.

Pros

The best aspect about OnShape is that it utilizes cloud services so you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. It's amazing also because the same design can be worked on by more than 1 person if need be.

Cons

I really have no issues at all with this software. It's even the best of it's kind in my opinion.