Onshape

• Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Accessible and efficient software for Architectural design. Great Cloud service

Reviewed on 2022/12/26

We had a good experience in the little time we used it, but as it was taking us more than usual to learn, and we needed to finish our projects faster, we decided to migrate to another software.

Pros

The best part is their customer support. They can help you almost immediately if you ever have a problem. The cloud data they offer is really helpful to develop projects in teams and constantly upload new data to it. The changes are saved to the version history which is really helpful to review past versions if needed.

Cons

The only thing that I find as a con, is the learning curve. You might need to have a person that already uses this software to teach your team in order to learn correctly. It's not the hardest but as it is not the most known or used, you might find it hard.

David
  • Industry: Railroad Manufacture

Has the possibility to be the new CAD paradigm like SolidWorks was back in 96 when I left 2D...

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

No real benefits yet, but hopeful.

No real benefits yet, but hopeful.

Pros

Support is responsive, pricing is fine, love the 'pay by the use' subscription format for advanced features seldom used like FEA. Will be a great all around CAD platform for small flexible companies like ours when its fully featured. I'm very interested in seeing what CAD designed without 20 years of baggage will look like when OnShape is mature.

For the amateur, hobbyist, and students; Onshape should be the first system they learn on. Back in the day I used to steer these people to Alibre when asked for a 3D CAD recommendation because they likely couldn't justify the high entry price of SolidWorks and its maintenance. My hope is that Onshape gets this market and most of the small businesses like ours.

I do recommend that Onshape come up with a lower tier plan between free and the current paid plan that allows really small organizations to grow in their financial commitment over time. Something token priced per user limited to forum support and limited cloud memory for a longer term test drive. This could accelerate Onshapes replacement of SW because small commercial users can start experimenting without the public files. Picture rouge Engineers in a company already paying for SW that might want to show something to management and shouldn't have to pay per month personally to keep a small amount of company files private!

Cons

OnShape is not quite ready for us to use on our bigger projects. Like watching the Matrix movies I'm dying to figure out how they keep 'branches' and the current 'versioning' paradigms and also allow part and assembly configurations that should not require an exact linear history. I really hope they do better than the Matrix movies in closing the loop.

If they were more open about when we could expect 'configurations' to be ready, my team might be able to jump to bigger projects sooner. But modeling without 'configurations' is really hard for those of us who grew up on SW. It is the king of all built in work-arounds in my design methodology and the longer I try doing things in Onshape the more I realize configurations are a key requirement of mine.

They also need to get conical and cylindrical sheet metal as this is sending me back to SolidWorks on some simple jobs I should have gotten done in Onshape, even without configurations.

I have less Pros than Cons to talk about at the moment, but my true feelings are demonstrated by the fact that I'm still investing my time in using the software as much as I can, I'm hoping that this can be our primary CAD system in the next 6 to 24 months. SW didn't have that much to offer by 1998 so OnShape is likely comparable in its advancement along this path.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fairly easy to use after a lot of training. Extremely frustrating at times. Sad emoji.

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

none that i could not get in a more professional software

none that i could not get in a more professional software

Pros

The fastener mate command is useful. I also like the documentation set up. It makes it easy to find parts specific to an assembly I create. They finally implemented the configuration option which is helpful. That is about it though

Cons

I do not like part studio set up. Inserting parts into a part studio get extremely frustrating when I insert said part studio into an assembly and it inserts all the parts in the part studio without their orientation towards each other and they do not follow the tramsform command. It also inserts the parts individually. I also loathe that when (about 20% of the time) I make a drawing for an assembly it does not transfer all the information and will add lines that are not there and omit lines that should be there. From a production stand point this is impossible to work around and makes our documentation look like a joke. Their customer service told me they are working on it over 2 months ago and it still happens and then they told me I needed to remove all the hardware (about 100 pieces) one at a time until i found the culprit. They also told me to leave it out in the drawing which also doesn't work for me. The branching of workflows is also frustrating when multiple people are working on something and the document will not allow a merge. The document ends up being left and no one knows which branch is active.

Joshua
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Excellenty CAD collaboration platform.

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

We are a non-profit research university, so we use their Education license. The ability to get all the players in an instrument design on the same digital document is invaluable to us!

Pros

The collaborative features allow us to work in remote teams, often on different continents and time zones. Visual communication crosses language barriers better than any other means we know of.

Cons

The lack of well-integrated CAM makes the final step in engineering solutions a bit harder than some other packages.

SolidWorks Premium

Reasons for Switching to Onshape

Price, collaborative capapbilites

Onshape is awesome

Reviewed on 2019/09/16

Pros

I love the combination of direct editing with parametric modeling. The options opened up with direct editing is simply amazing. I often work in my job with models that came for outside of my organization, leaving me without the full feature history to work with, so direct editing is a game changer.

The cloud based access is also incredibly helpful. I’m no longer tied to a particular device to access my models. Working in the office, at home or on road, it doesn’t matter. I wondered at first if working in a browser would be tough given that cad programs are so computationally heavy, but I have never had an issue.

Cons

The only time I’ve wished I had a feature not available was when I needed a font that wasn’t available.

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Better for intermediate collaborative projects

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

OnShape is utterly convenient and is the best at what it does. The free tier allows for hobbyist projects and quick testing activities.

Pros

Based on the web, access your designs anywhere from a web browser. Work at any moment, any time without being restricted to your desktop computer. The best feature is the ability to share and work collaboratively in design, with a central database and one version of the files.

Cons

Still missing some features to be considered a full-fledged CAD package. Performance, especially for large assemblies is very susceptible to internet speed and has high computer power demand.

• Industry: Research

Onshape Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Pros

Onshape is designed by engineers who made SolidWorks so it is almost as powerful and intuitive. The biggest advantage is that Onshape is completely online, and doesn't ​require downloading of bulky software on the local drive. The online aspect allows you to work from any computer, and have your personal workspace​ ready for you, and it makes collaboration very easy.

Cons

No cons so far, I'm loving everything about Onshape.

Emeka
Emeka
  • Industry: Higher Education

OnShape is an amazing 3D CAD software.

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

I've had a great experience using OnShape so far.

I've had a great experience using OnShape so far.

Pros

The best aspect about OnShape is that it utilizes cloud services so you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. It's amazing also because the same design can be worked on by more than 1 person if need be.

Cons

I really have no issues at all with this software. It's even the best of it's kind in my opinion.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A new age CAD solution

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

We use Onshape as an alternative to Solidworks. We use it for 2D simple geometry & 3D CAD for our products. We are really happy with the product.

Pros

Clean user interface and versioning feature is cool.
Cloud means flexibility, I don’t need to install it on my computer to work and can work from anywhere.

Cons

Speed of the tool is mostly depenedent on the internet as the tool stays on cloud

Jeffery
Jeffery
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Unlike other companies who are decades behind, Onshape is proactive and gives you modern cad...

Reviewed on 2017/10/23

Pros

The Onshape team has something most companies do not have. They are willing to improve their software instead of just selling you old tech.

- Very Parametric
- 10/10 Customer support
- Up to date software
- It's all in the cloud

Cons

- It's all in the cloud
- You need fast and powerful internet
- Not much support for organic surfaces and shapes (as of 2017)

Bob
  • Industry: Design

I am a consulting mechanical product designer with almost 25 years experience.

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

I try and get my clients to migrate to Onshape all of the time. The benefits I get from the software are too many to list, but some of my favorites:
No dedicated computer or server required
Built-in PDM system
Onshape always saves all of my work, all the time.

Pros

The best thing about Onshape is that you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. There is nothing to install, no "versions" to contend with, and I never lose my work because the software crashes.
Onshape is very intuitive for those coming from other 3D CAD packages, there are just a few work flow learning curves, (working with part studios) but other than that, very easy to learn.
Another great functionality of Onshape is the built in PDM. Onshape does not only allow you to build parts, moving assemblies, and drawings, you may also upload images, PDFs, Excel sheets, Word documents, etc. The ability to keep all of your files within a single Onshape document can save hours when tracking spec sheets and other pertinent information.
I use Onshape when my clients do not have or require a specific CAD program/software, it allows me to share the data with them and smoothly collaborate at all times. Most of my clients utilize SolidWorks and I try to move them over to Onshape whenever possible. Onshape works well with SolidWorks however, when there is a need for both, it allows for a lot of other options that were not there in the past.
Lastly, one more great thing about Onshape is that they are constantly updating the software, it gets better each month. Better still is the fact that the updates are automatic, there are no patches, just open your browser and its there waiting for you.

Cons

The only con I can really think of would be it's limitations through the past, but this is to be expected of a brand new software program. Not having the ability to develop sheet metal parts in the beginning was rough, but I also have to say, when Onshape does deliver on what is lacking, it's always above and beyond my expectations.

Ed
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Exciting start to real cloud CAD

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Relatively low cost of ownership thanks to the subscription model and the modest hardware requirement. Once learnt the system is faster to use than our previous CAD.

Pros

The new ways of working that the marketing talk pushes so hard really do have some significant advantages. The integrated version control is brilliant - unlimited undo, branching, merging and visual differencing. Real time collaboration works well but persuading suppliers to adopt a new process can be tricky. The subscription model of both licensing and software updates works well for us.
One of the most impressive aspects has been the customer support. This software is a work-in-progress. The quality is good but as with all software, users find inventive ways to break things or try the impossible. When something hasn't worked as expected the in-built feedback tool works great. I've put in several 'bugs' and feature requests and always had a response within 24 hours. Bugs fixes have made it into the next monthly release. Low hardware requirements that aren't increased with every release.

Cons

Some feature sets are more developed than others. Drawings are still improving - quite a few 'manual' tools that you'd be used to from other packages are not yet available. For me the lack of 'configurations' is frustrating but I can see this ultimately being integrated with the versioning system and being awesome.

Florian
  • Industry: Utilities

A new approach to CAD

Reviewed on 2020/06/20

Pros

The one thing you won't need when using Onshape is that foam ball to squeeze or throw through the room. Every CAx user usually has one. This is because Onshape is so portable, stable and reliable. It is a solid solid modeler with some very thought through features that are tested with the community before deploying it into the wild. The integrated PDM is something you will never get for the same cost from others.

Cons

It is first and foremost a solid modeling CAD. Don't expect electrical, piping, and complex bspline surfaces. The integrated app store will make up for that.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Very good software for mechanical design and design sharing/team design projects

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

Design agility and speed are the largest benefits I see. We are a smaller company and work with a larger number of outside vendors for manufacturing and engineering work. This has by far made that process much easier and eliminated the wasted time and money associated with giving an outside firm access to our vault for file transfer. It is very nice to be able to collaborate in real time with the outside world, both on the design and manufacturing side, by simply sharing a file with a person, company or team (internal of external).

Pros

I like the features and ease of reusing existing geometry. It easily allows for multi-body part modeling and enables the parts to be treated as individual parts with their own properties etc. The architecture of program makes it one of the fastest I have ever used for conceptual design and then easily transitions the designs into production.

Cons

The learning curve switching from solidworks/pro-E was a little steeper than I anticipated but, once we made the switch, the benefits really started to payoff. Although it can import and edit 2D dwg type files, it is not a good solution or does not have the ability to create 2D as easily as an autocad program when creating schematics or the like (the drawing package for documenting Onshape files is very functional).

Response from Onshape

Thanks for the positive review, Jeremy! We're looking forward to working closer with you and the team over the next few months.

ARTURO
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

I do not loose information, it is grate. And no more crash, so I work very happy.

Reviewed on 2017/08/17

It is a profesional CAD that can run in any computer. The cost is accesible.
And I think that have...

It is a profesional CAD that can run in any computer. The cost is accesible.
And I think that have a new workflow or work method that have advantage and save time.

Pros

The information that I create is safe. I do not need a big computer, so the big files can work fine. It not have crashes, so I do not lose time by that. The idea of work with multiple solids in a same "fiel" have a lot of advantage, and the assembly mate is faster.

Cons

I need to test the new surface tools, It was limited, but I see the tutorial and think that this new tools was strong.
I need to put my own profiles (or customise profiles) in weldment or structural tools.
The draft angle analysis is important.
The idea to use partners or apps, it grate, but It is expensive or maybe I need to understand how to use to pay only the time that I need. I do not have a risk to have a monthly charge in my credit card if I forget uncheck something.
Sometimes is important project a sketch or curve one surface.

Matthew
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

We've been a user since the days of beta, allows us to work no matter where we're at

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

It allows us to more rapidly develop our integrated robotic workers than competing systems. The ability to have the customers log directly into the model from anywhere and do a quick design review and make changes on the fly while tracking them is a huge benefit especially since our customers are located across the country.

Pros

Cloud based CAD that can be ran on a multitude of platforms from PC/Mac to mobile. Ability to collaborate with our team and customer in real time with multiple individuals working simultaneously in the application. Rapid development of the platform with new releases on a regular and rapid basis

Cons

Lack of offline caching causes Models to need to be reloaded when experiencing poor network coverage such as riding down the interstate while working on a customer design

Response from Onshape

Hi Matthew. Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to catch up since it's been a few weeks since we spoke. Do you have some time next week to chat?

Christopher
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Redefining CAD User Experiance

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Ability to work on my project from any web browser. Using the product is very intuitive. While Onshape runs in a web browser, it feels faster than the competition installed on my computer.

Pros

The user interface of Onshape is a game changer. The sheet metal tool is one of the easiest available. User input is greatly valued and well heard. The webinars and tech tips are extremely helpful. Onshape is always being updated with new tools and features. Customers are not inconvenienced by updates, you are always using the newest version. Easy cross-compatibility with other cad packages. Featurescript gives lots of flexibility and options.

Cons

CAM functionality very lacking. The lack of 3d sculpting tools can sometimes be a challenge. The Webinars, while extremely helpful can feel unfocused and a bit unorganized.

Travis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

This software has been very intuitive to use and is the most fully featured giving the best...

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

It has allowed me to work as an independent consulting engineer/designer to create accurate models for my client in a timely manner.

Pros

- The best feature is this software is cloud based. It does not require a high-end desktop to run and is OS agnostic.
- The 3D modelling and 2D drawing feature sets are very extensive with additional features added very regularly. The user experience is always improving and the developers are very responsive to the user base keeping them informed of coming features and dedicated to addressing issues.
- The performance is excellent (no lag). Also, the business model of paying for private documents (at a reasonable cost) while also providing a user full access to all the features for free made the decision to purchase the training and software an easy decision.
- Live webcast training was excellent.

Cons

Many modelling and drawing features are basic and require improvement to allow for customization - i.e. Hole feature, assigning materials, 2D drawings. These are limiting factors for being able to use in a professional environment.

David
  • Industry: Design

Hands down, Onshape is my favorite software I've ever used.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

It's extremely fast. I never lose my work because it's all saved online. I can use a crummy computer and still work fast. I can collaborate with my coworkers seamlessly.

Pros

I love, love, love the collaboration. I can share files with customers and they will always see the latest version. My boss can work on the assembly while I work on the parts. I can move a tapped hole, and each part updates accordingly.

I love that it's 100% online. I hate downloading in general, so any time I can avoid it I do. The fact that there are significant updates (that I don't have to download or buy a new licence for) every 3 weeks is just icing on the cake. I love that my work gets saved automatically.

The fact that customer service is so responsive and receptive to suggestions is absolutely amazing.

Cons

It crashes pretty often. Nothing is lost, it's just kind of annoying.
A lot of features will fail if you don't select the right face, but the warning messages don't say that. They just say "failed to generate"

SF
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The mobility is great, wish you will get the local college to start using Onshape

Reviewed on 2017/08/16

I am more productive and easy access to a full 3D CAD.

I am more productive and easy access to a full 3D CAD.

Pros

Cloud solution is the future, mobility & connected. To be able to demo and view the dwg on the spot is excellent. I hardly carry my notebook, especially the issue on safety and snatch theft.
The feature is compatible to most 3D cad. The learning curve is low. For start up I pick up quickly. In case of trouble, I find the video tutorial very productive. Too bad I dont have time to join the Webminar. Especially the timing is on US time zone.
It will be great if you organize on site training, I am sure you can get a good turn out in KL. As a start you can help to build the local Onshape community. Like local fan group. It will allow cross learning.
I have idea of turning Onshape to purchase bidding. I am sure the machine shop and buyer will like this feature.
I am sure you aware of the supply chain bottle neck, Onshape is one small step from this topic.

Cons

lack of peer support therefore the problem solving on difficult topic is rather tough.
The pricing, it should use pay per usage instead pay per month. It is not attractive for random user like me.
The auto dimension feature need improvement.

Response from Onshape

Hi SF! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm the Director of our Customer Success team and I'd love to connect and introduce you to your Customer Success Manager. If you're having difficulty finding answers to your questions, that team is going to be instrumental in pointing you in the right direction. Let's set up some time to discuss how we can help you!

Doug
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great CAD/PDM Tools allow me to create and control documents in electro-mechanical engineering

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

Software is Easy to Learn with lots of Video's available and regular Webinars to cover updates

Pros

Because I'm the only CAD person then being able to Share/Control documents with just a few clicks
is very important and saves me lots of time. And being able to import designs from my old Inventor CAD system.

Cons

No real issues; I pack a lot of information into assembly drawings and try to finish off in Onshape but sometimes have to push into 2d Draftsight to finish off. i.e. reduce line weights. Adding a circle and rectangle tool in drawings might help. If i could get my spreadsheet parts list into Onshape via Openbom would save a lot of time, I have mentioned this to Oleg.

Response from Onshape

Thanks for the review, Doug. Glad to hear you're continuing to enjoy using Onshape! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions I can help with!

gary
  • Industry: Wholesale

With minimal training and experience, we are able to make very complex 3D models

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Collaboration with customers, collaboration with colleague, impact with a customer from sales perspective, discussion with vendor on part being built for us.

Pros

The 3D capability and allowing a customer to be invited onboard to collaboratively interact with our drawing are extremely powerful on the sales side of our business. We hadn't even contemplated this possibility on the front end, but when we invite a customer to click a link, come in and "touch and feel" the fitting, rolling and turning it, has enhanced the sales perspective. The customer doesn't have to be a registered user; He just clicks on a link in his email while you are on the phone with him, he looks it over and says, "Yes, that's exactly what I am asking for," or "What if you made the flanged end a little bit thicker?" You have an order off the street and manufacturing before the competitor even has it drawn up.

Cons

There is still a learning curve. And this isn't a bicycle. If you don't use it, mental rust will form. That makes it a bit tough on the casual user. There are help screens and video and tutorials and that library is growing, but when you are trying to look up what "merge scope" infers in a tool, it can be very hard to search that out.

Harald
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Onshape is a fantastic CAD tool empowered by the endless possibilities of the cloud.

Reviewed on 2017/08/10

Shorter development time, easier document management and free training with the purchase of a subscription.

Pros

Onshape is well built and enabled for collaborative work right from the start. It is a powerful yet simple to use CAD tool, completely focused on shape modeling. Alongside this core functionality run integrated versioning and access control features. This, together with the simple subscription model make it a fantastic tool for designers

Cons

The main page is cluttered, and it is not easy to clean up. I would also like to not show a list of parts when I log in. Sometimes I show something to a client. Then I have to hide my screen until I can get to his part, so that he doesn't see the parts of other clients.

Shaun
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Onshape have been fantastic right from the Beta stage when we joined them

Reviewed on 2017/08/12

Cloud based straight away opened up so many potentials for us as a new startup company. The feature list has constantly been expanding and covered our minimum requirements very quickly, and now is bursting with fantastic features and a very helpful support team behind it.

Pros

Fully cloud based
Great existing features
New features every 3 weeks
Support team are fantastic and responsive - so far always responded on the same day
Actively listen to new feature requests
App store provides great 3rd party functionality
The Featurescript addition provides so much flexibility

Cons

The folder organisation could do with some enhancements
Auto part labelling would be a massive help
Animated movie functions would be great

Connor

My favorite software I have ever used. You couldn't pay me to go back to Solidworks.

Reviewed on 2017/08/16

Pros

-Revision history of every document, back to the beginning of time.
-Never lose any work
-Easy and natural collaboration around the world
-Branching and merging
-Monthly automatic updates
-Built in scripting language allows unparalleled customization.
-Very well thought out GUI and tools makes parametric design natural

Cons

-Fewer tools than solidworks
-Internet connection always required (but who can really work without one?)
-Surfacing tools are still fairly basic (though constantly improving)