Invoice Ninja

More than Invoicing. Powerful Apps to Run Your Business!

Marco
Marco

Awesome software for a great price (free self host or 20usd/year Whitelabel)

Reviewed on 2017/10/19

Easier invoicing, getting paid faster through iDeal (online payment) and easier management of expenses and administration tasks.

Pros

The free self host version is complete but the per year Whitelabel fee is totally worth it! The best about this software is the active development that really listens to suggestions from it's users. This makes it the most powerful invoice package available. If it isn't the best yet, it will be!!

Cons

The mobile accessibility could be improved. Also the Android app could be improved and maybe more focused on the tasks.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your excellent review! Agreed, we're currently working to improve the tasks functionality in the mobile and web versions of the app. Let us know if there are other features you'd like to see added.

Kyle
Kyle

Nothing else like Invoice Ninja!

Reviewed on 2021/10/14

Overall, I really love Invoice Ninja however! The team listens to feedback, and actively works to fix issues. They care about their product, and offer it at a reasonable price. I self host, which is free, and I support them by buying a white label license to remove the invoice ninja branding on invoices.

Pros

Invoice Ninja is incredibly powerful and offers the ability to self host, which is of big importance for myself. I particularly like the client portal and the ability for my clients to log in at anytime to view their active or past invoices and payments. The ability to customise most of the details such as what is displayed on your invoice, where it's displayed, the colours, etc. is really great. Other solutions charge a monthly fee just to have custom fields! I love the way the workflow works with quotes too, where I can create a quote and if it becomes approved via the client portal it can get turned into an invoice automatically. Being able to access it from a browser anywhere to get my invoicing done or use an app on virtually every platform there is, is fantastic. Oh, and it actually looks great on mobile. It's all the little bits and pieces and the constantly evolving feature set that makes Invoice Ninja the best.

Cons

V4 was virtually indestructible compared to v5, but v5 is getting to a very good point and the team had a very valid reason for the overhaul. Things work seamlessly across devices with the same frameworks being used. The only downside is a fair few bugs here and there, some of them which have even been a deal breaker at an earlier point in time so I had to continue using V4 until they were fixed up. A few issues still exist but the team does listen and actively works to resolve them. I report whatever bugs or issues I find and continue to support the team regardless. I'd also like to see an inventory tracker come into play. That would be really useful.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and being part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Richard
  • Industry: Utilities

Beware

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

They lied to us and I spent a week swapping over and now going back to quick books because you can only have 300 customers with a growth of just 100 a month. So I'm being penalized for growth so no way.

Pros

I purchased this program to get away from quick books and after talking to them about my customer load they made it sound like it was no problem. As soon as I sent out reacurring invoices they started flagging my account saying I had to many and it was considered phishing. I'm in trash collections and have over 1000 customers that's why I paid them money so I could have unlimited. I'm going back to quick books.

Cons

They liked to me saying I could have unlimited customers when they only let you have 300 and can only grow by 100 a month.

Response from InvoiceNinja

We allow unlimited customers & unlimited invoices.

For NEW account only we limit 300 emails DAILY (9,300 monthly), to avoid spammers.

The limit is increased each month an account is active.

A great solution for small business invoicing.

Reviewed on 2018/08/13

Whether using the hosted version, or hosting yourself, Invoice Ninja is a great option for handling your small business invoicing.

Pros

The invoicing is super easy, and the recurring invoicing is a big plus to this software. Time tracker for tracking hours for billable billing...expense tracker as well...all easy to use features that I've been quite happy with. I switched from another service that I loved, but had become too expensive, and have been very happy that I switched as I have more features available with Invoice Ninja. One of the features I LOVE, is the ability to set up multiple companies on one login!

Cons

I would love to see an option for recurring billing setup with Paypal so my recurring invoice clients can "set it and forget it". I would also like to see a little more flexibility with template customizing via the admin, I had to make some changes via code, which isn't a problem for me, but less savvy users may find that a detriment.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! We appreciate your kind words! We're working everyday to add features, and keep the pricing down! We're so happy that you found Invoice Ninja, thank you again!

• Industry: Media Production

The best invoicing software on the market

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

We used zoho and another alternative before, both were crap. Many more people should use invoice ninja, we are very very satisfied ! Our customers love their portal a lot as well.

Pros

- Very complete solution
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Online signing & payment for customers
- AMAZING support
- Affordable
- I'm pretty much sure we've never encountered any software issue
- So much more to say

Cons

- Custom invoice template a bit hard to setup, not very standard . But we managed to have a layout we like.

• Industry: Automotive

Very satisfied with this product and the support behind it!

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

After years of searching for invoice software to meet my personal technological demand I found Invoice Ninja. I am absolutely blown away! Operating a small business is no task for the meek, but when your invoicing software allows you to document so much to one invoice you know you have your bases covered. This product meet ever want i have ever had to present to my customers. I am self hosted for the first time in my life and find myself released from my host's many charges. I chose white-label only to show my support for this wonderful product. Even the support and customer service professionalism rocks my world. Any speed bump I had during the installation process was immediately straightened out by "Keymaster" Hillel Coren via google search and previously answering issues. Thank you all deeply for such a finely tuned wonderful creation.

Pros

Above every other great part of this program I am very please with it's simplistic interface.

-documents attached to e-mail and pdf
-mobile app just as clean as the web interface
-diverse payment gateways
-2FA security (never thought I would use this but they made this very easy)
-variety of from free to paying solutions with a few added benefits to each
-exports as needed

Cons

when I find some I'll have to come back and fill this in.

Graeme
Graeme

Invoice Ninja handles all my freelance writing and editing business with ease and accuracy.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

It has made business simple for me, and immediate payment easy for my clients. I get paid the same day, because those are the terms I set.

Pros

I love the payment alternatives, which now include AliPay for my Chinese clients. I also find the user interface incredibly intuitive. Invoice Ninja seems to know what I want.

Cons

I don't have any objections to Invoice Ninja. I know that there are more complex functions available for larger organizations and more complex billing situations, but they don't obtrude into my simple world.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it's very much appreciated!

Deepak
Deepak

Best affordable accounting software

Reviewed on 2021/12/15

Pros

Easy to use, clean interface, automatically sends invoices and takes care of payments, tracks expenses

Cons

Email is all center aligned in V5. Should be able to change the styling a bit more

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review, thank you for your kind word and being part of the Invoice Ninja community, We would love to hear more of your feedback!

Tom
Tom

This is an outstanding and well though out open source invoicing system.

Reviewed on 2018/03/01

A simpler invoicing workflow for my company and an easier platform for our clients to pay us.

Pros

The system also supports two factor security via the TOTP protocol which is nice as it does not rely on third-party websites for logging in.

Being open source means we were able to look at the code base and verify that it was well put together and back end was not just cobbled together. Having this solid & rational code base has allowed them to provide fast support and feature enhancements. While I have not had any issues, I went through their forums and github and they have an outstanding response rate to both questions about the product and the code base.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to review our codebase. We're constantly working to improve our code and features, if there's anything you'd like to see changed please let us know.

Guido
Guido

Great software for professional invoicing

Reviewed on 2020/02/11

From Excel-invoicing to Invoice Ninja was a huge leap in professionalization

From Excel-invoicing to Invoice Ninja was a huge leap in professionalization

Pros

Self-hosted
iOS-app
Open source
Customer Portal

Cons

I have not been able to integrate my Dutch bank account?

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your great review! If we can ever be of service, we're here to help!

Mike

Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support.

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely easy to use, which is their main point. But that ease of use doesn't mean it doesn't have powerful features. There's plenty of functionality for freelancers such as myself to make getting paid a snap.

The developers are also a top-notch group. Any time I've had an issue or a question, they're always quick to either fix a bug or point out exactly what I need to do to solve a problem. You don't get that from larger shops that have a bunch first-tier support people following a script. Having a developer team that communicates efficiently with the user base makes all the difference in the world.

From an administrative standpoint, I could probably run it on a toaster as long as I had enough space for my database. If you choose to go the self-hosted route, there's no need for high-end VPS solutions. A single core with a gig of ram and some storage is more than enough to get you up and running.

Cons

If I had to pick something to gripe about, it would be that the setup process for self-hosted can be a bit finnicky for beginners. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. Setting up my own deployment has helped me learn a lot about Linux administration, so it's a win in the end.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Wow! Great review! "Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support." this says it all! Thank you for much for your kind words and support!

Laura

Extremely easy to use, very clear and intuitive

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

I think the toggle menu on the right (displaying the latest invoices) is not necessary, so I just keep it closed.

Pros

I operate a small freelance business, and Invoice Ninja is perfect for my needs. I have no accounting/bookkeeping experience or knowledge, and I find that with Invoice Ninja, I can do everything I need to invoice my clients and get paid online very easily and quickly.
Customer support is beyond anything I've seen before. When I've had questions or issues in the past, I've sent an email and received a response almost instantly.
The free version is very suitable for my needs, and they don't hassle me to upgrade. It really is free.
My clients are very happy with the system. It makes receiving/paying invoices and receiving receipts very easy for them too.
I also really like the fact that the invoices look good, without me having to do anything really. I'm a writer - not a bookkeeper, not a software programmer, and not a graphic designer. Invoice Ninja is a good solution that doesn't demand any special knowledge or effort from me. From my poitn of view, that's probably its strongest point.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review, we really appreciate it!

Rio
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

We used to use Clearbooks... InvoiceNinja assassinated that.

Reviewed on 2017/06/05

Just better finance management. Its very clear in its operation. You can see at a glance whats happening within the company, how much money is owed and how much is earned every quarter etc. Brilliant.
haven't found anything as of yet (using it for 6 months paid) and the monthly updates keep improving it. will edit this to reflect if any problems arise

Pros

We are a small digital company based in Scotland and were using clear books... then out of the blue Invoice Ninja got recommended by a client. Its transformed our company finances. Clearbooks had too much, other softwares had very little. Invoice Ninja is right bang in the middle, giving you the necessary tools to go ahead, which is excellent.

They keep updating it so its better every month aswell.

-Its extremely fluid and easy to use
-updating it on the road with the app is excellent
-its very clear cut, no clutter

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your excellent review! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] to let us know what features you'd like to see added next. In case you haven't seen it you can follow our roadmap here: https://trello.com/b/63BbiVVe/invoice-ninja

Brandon

The Best Invoicing Program Out There!

Reviewed on 2019/07/04

Pros

Everything! This software is so easy to use and has provided me with effortless invoicing to my clients. I don't have a big business so having a free invoicing program that makes me look good is really awesome!

Cons

Honestly have nothing bad to say about InvoiceNinja

Response from InvoiceNinja

You're great! Thank you very much for taking the time to wrote your kind review, we appreciate it very much!

Asia
Asia
  • Industry: Design

Functional, quick loading

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

I run two businesses, the business I run with a partner uses freshbooks but I absolutely hate it. So I found invoice ninja for the business that I run by myself.

Pros

The features are clear, everything is pretty much laid out at first glance. A lot of people prefer simplified alternatives (like freshbooks or quickbooks) but I feel more comfortable using Invoice Ninja. It also loads faster and is less buggy.

Cons

It's not as pretty as freshbooks though, and the price is almost the same.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being a member! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Margaret

Invoices with my branding and ability to accept payment with Stripe

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

I went with the hosted paid version, which allows me to include my logo and custom number my invoices. I can keep a simple product list for filling in my invoices, and accept payments with Stripe. Clients have had no problem paying their invoices since I started in January 2017.

Cons

I wish it accepted both Stripe and PayPal, but I haven't figured that out. Occasionally it hangs for a bit after creating a new client but doesnt freeze anywhere else. The reports are useful, but the Tax Rate one doesn't include the client's name, only invoice numbers and from what I can tell it is in first name order when I look the numbers up.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thanks for your review! Feel free to email us if you'd like help setting up PayPal along with Stripe or if you experience any software issues. We'll make sure to add the client name to the tax report in our next release.

Kaled
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Self Hosted Invoice Ninja User

Reviewed on 2018/11/17

Invoice Ninja has no competitors in it's class!

Invoice Ninja has no competitors in it's class!

Pros

every feature works and is easy to configure, it is reliable and works with so many payment gateways! The tech team really keeps up with hard to find features such as client signature on PDF invoice! that one alone is very hard to find in almost any other software without a lot of work to implement. It's mobile friendly with no CSS modifications required.

Cons

can't think of anything I don't like about it

Danielle
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

A really handy app for invouicing

Reviewed on 2021/08/12

Pros

Great for both large organizations and smaller projects. Using it straightforward and easy .For recurring payments you can also schedule invoicing in advance . You can use it for free .

Cons

The interface could be a bit more welcoming .Other than that ,I find Invoice Ninja to perfectly meet my needs .

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review & being a part of the Invoice Ninja community! We appreciate your kind review!

Invoice Ninja handles all my invoicing perfectly

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely flexible, allowing me to automate my invoicing so that I can focus on growing my business. I use everything from the invoice reminders to the Zapier and Stripe integrations to provide a simple-to-use payment system to my clients.

Cons

I have no complaints about Invoice Ninja. And because they are continually adding new functionality, I've learned new ways to improve my invoicing process.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're working on some great new features for our next release in a few weeks :)

Thomas

A simple solution to creating professional looking invoices that saves your time.

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Time saving and a more professional look.

Time saving and a more professional look.

Pros

Very quick to load and double check what is going on with respect to invoices so you don't need to have the software open all the time.

Cons

If you come from an accounting background some of the reports are unconventional. For instance the Statement only shows outstanding items and not a full audit trail.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thanks for your excellent review! We appreciate the feedback, in a recent release we've added additional settings to the client statement. We plan to continue to improve the reports in general.

Lance

Excellent product, we have been using it for several years for various projects

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

receive $

receive $

Pros

ease of integration with stripe.
Ability to add additional documents to payment page.
Multi User Ability
Multi Currency
Mutli Project within 1 acccount

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very much appreciated! Please be in touch if there are specific features you'd like to see added.

Gijs

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful...

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros

- Its layout and the clear design
- It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel
- Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons

The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Blaise
  • Industry: Program Development

Unbelievable time saver!

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Easy to send invoices and manage incoming money

Easy to send invoices and manage incoming money

Pros

Integrates with basically every payment processor
Ease of use is through the roof
Plenty of documentation and forum support

Cons

I really REALLY wish I could manage project expenditures without charging them to the client. It would be amazing if I could allocate money to my freelancers within this dashboard

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review! Feel free to email us at [email protected] for help working out a solution to track expenditures, maybe you could use vendors/expenses?

Gabriel
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Very happy with the invoice app, exactly what I needed

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

Very easy to use
Clean and straight forward
Simple, with fundamental features
Customize invoice capability

Cons

The only thing that took me a while to figure out was how to customize the invoice layout the way I needed. I had pre-printed invoices so I needed each field to be printed in the proper spot.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review, thank you very much! We're so glad that you like the platform, and of you need any assistance in formatting your invoice designs please let us know! Thanks again!

Andrew
  • Industry: Wireless

I LOVE INVOICE NINJA!!! [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is the MAN!!!!

Reviewed on 2022/07/20

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] is a great guy and helped me out BIG TIME!!!

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] is a great guy and helped me out BIG TIME!!!

Pros

pretty much everything and it is an active project!!

Cons

not to much. I like it all!!.

Response from InvoiceNinja

FANTASTIC REVIEW! Thank you very much for your supportive words and great feedback!