SportsEngine Reviews

SportsEngine

Operations management for sports leagues, teams, and clubs

4.3/5 (117 reviews)
Kraig O.

Why I chose SportsEngine

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I've been with these guys from the beginning with multiple sports and clubs. They keep improving, keep listening and are generally fun people to work with. I think there's room for improvement in their product and they keep doing that, which is what I appreciate the most. They're also far ahead of their competition in terms of support and engagement with their user community.

Pros

SportsEngine is more than a website. It's team collaboration software, content sharing, volunteer management, financial management and more. I still use other software tools, but I wouldn't have to, and in many cases it's just a matter of taking the time to migrate to SportsEngine's better solutions.
I still use Ground.Work for collecting fees, because it's cheaper, but SportsEngine would be easier for me in the long run, if my board would let me switch.

Cons

There are some features of SportsEngine that I find unintuitive, like News and News Aggregators, but the functionality and support is there, which is far more than I can say for most competitors. I also think some collaborations with partners like Ground.Work or JotForm would make sense to reduce cost and complexity of the existing solutions within the SportsEngine suite.

Lacey W.

Fusion SC User Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Registration and player management has become much simpler and more streamlined since we switched to SportsEngine, with everything being 100% online. It has made our processes simpler and faster to work through, from rostering to invoicing and even processing refunds. As a Club Admin and parent, I also find the website to be very user friendly for both sides.

Pros

I like the fact that everything is migrating into one location, taking away the need for using/visiting multiple websites to complete necessary tasks.

Cons

There is a lack of some functionality that our organization had with our previous software (Blue Sombrero), which makes some tasks impossible to do without big workarounds (if at all). One example of this is the ability to transfer players between programs without parents having to complete a whole new registration.

Gerry B.

When in doubt go for the GOLD standard!

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

I am a long long long time user/patron of their product and I have had the best time dealing with their team of account managers and techs. The single best attribute of any company is their ability to take criticism and turn it into a change and a positive experience for the user/customer. They've grown and evolved. Most companies don't, let's be honest. I actually enjoy the interactions with them. I've grown to know some of the individuals that work there over the years and seen then not only excel but also be appreciated by the powers that be. They take a team approach to their employees. They also have fun with the sporting events like the Pond Hockey Tournament that they co-sponsor. SportEngine is a community not just a supplier/provider.
I will likely always be an advocate and customer of theirs as long as they continue to evolve and nurture their relationships as they go.

Pros

What I enjoyed and valued most about SportsEngine's sites and software is ease of use and versatility. For someone who is tech savvy (one way of saying it) or someone who is functional at best on a computer this company has something for you in their product. You can easily modify and populate a website for the barely functional individual... or you can rock an excellent sports site with tons of integrations and modifications that are all accessible at your fingertips.

Cons

What I like least is so petty and idiosyncratic that it's barely worth mentioning. I would change things like adding anchors in texts on one page that can be linked from another page. Silly but it's small and maybe not worth fighting for. I would also like to see an appointment app that is solely SportsEngine and not a third-party integration that you add code from another site. Wish list.

Carl R.

Having looked at and used many League Management platforms, SportsEngine® beats everyone hands down.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

As the Webmaster and Registrar, my personal benefit has been the ability to remove myself form the day-to-day changes to the website. In our old site (we had for 6 years), the page content had to be edited in HTML (web page base language) to work the way we needed it to work. As a result, I (the webmaster) was the only person with the qualifications to make those changes. With SportsEngine® I've been able to empower a good number of the board members so that they can make changes to an area of the site, post news, and send league wide communications. Not only does this reduce the workload for me, but allows the board members to get information out in a more timely manner. The 2nd benefit for us is the 'responsive design' templates. We found that the majority of our users interact with the website and league information on a mobile phone. Without responsive design it was impossible to interact with many parts of the old website. This factor was key for us looking into the future to create a sustainable website and tools. We certainly did not want to change websites again. Another key benefit that we hoped would deliver the expected results was the integrated mobile app. The app is free to all members, and is focused on the TEAM rather than the websites focus of the LEAGUE. We've been pleased to find that adoption of the app was rapid, and that families really leveraged the app as their daily platform for all things related to the team. We also unexpectedly found that we could leverage the apps built in notifications to reach parents with important league information (rain outs, field changes, game reschedules) where they may not read or simply ignore the same information in email form.

Pros

So many pro's it will be hard to list them all. The ease of use is tremendous which makes it possible for most of the board members to contribute to the site during all cycles of the board year. Because the help documentation is so thorough getting new members up-to-speed and able to manage their own communication streams takes little time and does not require the league to have a 'webmaster guru' to support everyone. Another nice element is that that the site is 'data driven', meaning that all of the news, text, documents, etc. that are added are stored in a database so that you can change templates based on you're personal preferences without loosing any of the content you've created. The registrations work extremely well, and with the rostering functions make adding players to teams a simple and thorough process that can easily be handled by anyone who can use email. Dibs is an essential tool for managing volunteer hours and commitments and continues to evolve - as does every part of the platform - to make a larger impact over time. The other key feature for our league has to be the integration with the SportsEngine® app. One the season gets into full swing, parents and players utilize the mobile app for game times, practice times, league news, and team messaging. With the RSVP features, the app has become the key tool for our team managers, and team staff. There are many more pros that I could list, but there is a limit to what I can write!

Dave H.

Doubled the size of our club

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

It's doubled the size of our club in three year. The new site seems to project more confidence but it also appears very high in search engine results for our area, so we have more exposure. It's dramatically reduced the time we have to spend getting information to people or collecting information and fees.

Pros

Once setup, it is easy to prepare for each season by making any changes to past registrations and duplicating them for the next season. It's radically reduced the amount of cash and checks we handle -- almost every transaction goes through the website now.

Cons

Some may find the initial setup tricky but Sports Engine offers a service for setting up your website, and rates that are really good if you compare with having an web design agency doing the work.

Mark M.

Parents love it ... rockstar support ... simple to use!

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

We just ran a fundraiser through the site. 4421 individual products sold through a shareable social media link from our Sports Engine team page. We made money for our lacrosse club and I didn't have to lift a finger. They built it all as a registration. When it comes time for delivery I run one report and all the data is there.

Pros

The interface is simple and user-friendly. Parents and players love the team stats feature! Great mobile App. Reporting is a breeze exportable .xls for everything you want to know. Registrations can be used for fundraising sales. Can't say enough about their support team and I manage a support team for a web hosting company. I could have built all the functionality myself but it would have taken months these guys have an out of the box solution at a reasonable price. Don't listen to the hater reviews they have no idea what it takes to keep an application like this running and are looking for free software that can't do what you need it to do. This stuff works and is reasonably priced!

Cons

Some limitations to the size of pick list you can have them build for you when using registrations as fundraising management but I'm asking a lot of their support team to manually build out lists. I wish they would implement export to Google Drive in the spreadsheet reporting features.

Rod S.

We converted our complex custom operational sports web site to Sports Engine platform.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Eliminated our Accounts Receivables, Game Scheduler to go to desktop, IOS/Android Apps, data base generator, Game registrations flexibility and each team registration communications as well as being flexible to enable our live game iScorecast to be incorporated into SportsEngine software.

Pros

The ability to be able to take our unique custom operational sports platform and adapt it and SportsEngine adaptations to get to the end results we wanted thereof. We demand a lot of data both from an analytics but also to users data within the analytics while using other software modules in a fully desktop and IOS/Android apps platform for our club members. SportsEngine has worked with us as we have pushed their system to fit our custom applications and uses thereof. The end result is that we have greatly reduced our staff time on a weekly bases by over 75%. This is huge savings in preparing for a transition plan.

Cons

Registration for events, games and tournaments has some areas for improvement such as Page 2 of a new registration information should all just pop up as the same versus entering the same information over every time. We do between 90-100 registrations and that is the same reentry of information to the registration questions. Especially when it is a copy of a registration to the same site with a new title and that is all that is being changed.

Randy T.

I have been the webmaster of the MN Selects Festival for the past seven years.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

The MN Selects were able to replace the manual registration process for approximately 700 players each year with an online solution that has built in reporting capabilities. So, in addition to managing our Festival more effectively in terms of time and money, we are also able to leverage various functionality to allow our coaches to track their registrations, assign jersey numbers, etc., as well as allow our Directors to track their regions teams at a holistic level.

Pros

I had no prior experience as a webmaster when our MN Selects organization decided to pursue a company to help us manage our 40 team/680 player yearly festival. In a short time, we were up and running with a brand new website leveraging SportsEngine. I would say the most important aspect of the software is it's ease of use - the fact that an individual (and organization) with no prior experience was able to implement a solution so quickly clearly speaks to the strength of the product. In addition, equally as important to me/us as users, is the quality of the team's Customer Support. I continue to be impressed with the ease in which we are able to enhance and upgrade our site year after year thanks to the help of the SportsEngine team.

David V.

Extremely satisfied; fantastic customer service; easy to build a professional looking website.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Platform allows us to build a world class website for a elite travel baseball program.

Pros

SportsEngine has been a true partner from the original sales cycle to the design, build and implementation of our travel baseball site. Their outstanding customer service and support is world class. I'm a IT professional and work with many vendors and I would rank SportsEngine right up there with the best of them. They deliver a high-end product with incredible responsive support and assistance (and always with a smile).

Our organization knew want we wanted and SportsEngine went above and beyond to ensure we were happy with the end solution. We were admittedly a high-maintenance customer and I never once sensed they were frustrated with accommodating our requests/needs. The SportsEngine community as been a great resource for us for new ideas and tips/tricks. The tools was easy to learn and fun to work with. The tool allows for an incredible amount of functionality. We believe SportsEngine platform and professional support has allowed us to build one of the top travel baseball sites in the country. The cost was super competitive to other platforms we looked at and if you look at the site, you would expect that it cost way, way more than what we paid for it. It's a great value through and through. We couldn't be happier with our selection of SportsEngine and we couldn't be happier with our ongoing partnership.

Kraig O.

SportsEngine is the way to go

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

This isn't just website/marketing software! It's a web-based platform for running your entire sports organization. It's how we communicate, manage teams, organize events, accept payments and manage registrations.
Want to get word out at the last minute about a cancellation? Use SportsEngine to broadcast the message by text and email, with a simple calendar update.
Want to bill a parent for their kids extra lesson? Just send them a PowerPay bill online. You'll get paid online and have a record of the whole thing.
To top it all off, the whole thing is backed by NBC Sports, so you get all kinds of free publicity at a National level and your organization looks like they've really got it together.

Cons

There are some things that I don't like, but they just keep making it better. Don't like something? Go to a user group meeting and talk to them about it. If your ideas make more sense, you'll probably see them in an update. They have great support and really listen to the needs of their users.

Richard C.

Using SPortsEngine as a referee

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Use the software as an end user to go in for game reports.
After a game when there is a penalty to report, I go to SportEngine and look up the game

Sometimes I go in to look at future games coming up

Pros

All league games are listed.
Games are usually in one central location (Need good thought process as to how leagues and games are listed)

Cons

Penalties from games are listed in order they occurred rather than broken out by team
Not always intuitive

6.0/10
Adam B.

Sport Engine has been great for my league since the first day I changed over to their website.

Reviewed on 2017/06/22

Pros

First off, it's very professional looking! Which is a big selling point for my league. The look created legitimacy for my league. The support staff has been excellent to work with! From the Sales Representative and Account Manager I work with, all the way through Registration and Tech Support departments, all have been helpful, and prompt when doing so! I honestly believe the professional look of my website has given my business the edge over the competition in my market. And last, but certainly not least, the website is super easy for the user like me to edit, post pictures, video and content to my website.

Cons

I don't dislike anything about Sport Engine's websites, or them as a company. If there was anything that could be thought of as a negative, or a drawback, is that as a new company, they have a lot of great new ideas and features that they plan to roll out in the future, but things like that take time to develop, so making sure they're done right for the sake of the customer is what is important. Patience is the virtue we all must have until those new features are brought to use.

Kip T.

Database Doesnt Work They just take money

Reviewed on 2018/09/04

The customer service has become terrible.

The database was flawless till the end of June and now simply does not work.

Pros

The program is a series of templates that you can manipulate for your specific organization.
The system is fairly robust in the options and ways you can get what you need done.

Cons

The database is not working. It has not worked for over two months. Clients who register I am not able to see nor have any idea who they are. They created a new area to register that should have simplified it, but that has not fully worked either.

The phone system doesnt work. If you call they tell you to go to the website and register for a chat or schedule a phone call, then it hangs up.

I have been on with support 4-5 times in the past 2 months and they have not resolved it and give you a canned response.

As of this date, my database still does not work and the customer support is very poor. Nor have they refunded any monies as I have asked.

0.0/10
Kim G.

Proven technology, support is quick and they care about my site.

Reviewed on 2017/06/25

Branding our Athletic Department. Great communication tool for messaging and the calendar. Parents and faculty at the high school LOVE the visibility and the professional look.

Pros

Easy to use. Lot of room for creativity. Great communication tool. Great customer and technology support. Online DIY videos are very helpful! Unlimited photos and videos for parents is a big deal! Mirroring tools are valuable. The ability to build custom reports is very helpful. The look is very professional and has helped me "brand" our Athletic Department. When I need to talk to a real person, they are there for me.

Cons

Parents don't read my directions. The software is awesome. When I am searching for an issue in the video support site, I get too many answers. Would love if it would let me search for a term in quotes so I can get to the exact topic. For example, if I put in a search for "how to create a team event" I get every possible topic that has the word "team" in it. Would be helpful to search an exact term. But tech service has worked when the search engine does not. And my Baseball teams wants to separate the calendar events so they can track statistics. Right now I put on the calendar, then when he duplicates an event for statistics, it's confusing to families.

Chris W.

SportsEngine is by far the easiest sports related software platform I've ever used.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Ease of use, improved communication and much more.

Pros

As the Director the Mankato Sports Commission as well as being involved at a volunteer level for numerous sports organizations I have been exposed to and had to use many different sports related software/website platforms. SportsEngine is hands down the best of any I have ever used. In minutes I can show somebody who has never used the software a few basic things and get them up to speed enough that they can easily help manage a website on this platform. I love that you don't need to know how to write code or really any technical aspects in order to make changes or updates.

Cons

Occasionally I run into things I'd like to do on our website that are not available as options however the SportsEngine team always gets back to me in timely fashion to either let me know of a way to do it or let me know if that is something they are working on.

James M.

Great team mgmt platform

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Pros

This platform is great for team management and communication among players, parents, managers and coaches. I have been using this app since before it was corporate owned and would recommend to any sports team that doesn't have a lot of resources for communication. Having a team manager run the app for all involved does make it easier on everyone, and all that is needed is a bit of computer literacy, its easy to modify the settings and make the team mom look like a rockstar when it comes to stats, scheduling, registration and communication.

Cons

There have been issues in the past that I didn't care for like: data population for registrations, etc. But their team does listen and any issue I've ever had was minor and apparently others thought the same way and SE listened and has always addressed those issues. Their support team is great.

Marianne S.

Great platform for youth sports and more!

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Pros

SportsEngine is a fantastic platform for our youth soccer club. The product makes a lot of my job seamless as I move from registrations to invoicing to the website itself. The back office is fairly simple to use and even updating the website is pretty much a no-brainer. Our families love how easy it is to navigate. The mobile options keep getting better and better and they are constantly adding new features to both the desktop and mobile versions, as well as to the app. The website is so easy to use that we also switched another website over to SportsEngine recently and it's already a million times easier to update.

Cons

The only cons we've run into is the help desk when using a Mac. The help features don't like Safari so much and I end up calling our support people on the phone instead. I will say, all of our support team is fantastic and happy to help. The improvements over the past year to all the features really leave me with little to "con".

Derek R.

SportsEngine has been a great partner and provider for our organization for nearly a decade.

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

We currently use the software for our website, a mobile app, tournament software, background screening and online registrations.

Pros

The best part about SportsEngine's platform is how easy it is to use. It is very simple for administrators who don't have a computer science or programming background to learn how to use the site and create a great online presence. Another great feature of this software is how it is being continuously improved. There are a number of features and functionality available today are weren't just a couple of years ago, and product enhancements continue to be launched frequently.

Cons

Registration fees include a transaction fee and a percentage-based processing fee. These seem small up front, but they can really add up if you process a significant number (or high priced) registrations.

Shaun O.

Why SportsEngine

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Pros

The customer service is great and the software is pretty intuitive.

Cons

If you do not have someone familiar with computers I could see where it might be challenging, but they have a great staff to walk you through every step of the process.

Shawn S.

7on7 Football with SE

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

I like the website, I like what it can do and my customer like the way it looks. Now I wish it was easier to get a hold of Customer Service. Or if Customer Service emails back all I get is link on my question. Its very cold and un customer friendly. There is probably so much more I could be doing with my 2 websites but no one will ever spend the time to really help you. You have to figure out everything on your own

Pros

The ability to make it easy on my customers to play with us in our Leagues & Tournaments. Call to action with click through to registration pages set apart from competition

Cons

For first two years I exclusively did my scoring and scheduling on SE. In the last year or so I have gotten away from that as I find it too time consuming and I use Zorts Sports now

Laurel B.

Easy to Use, Great Client Support!

Reviewed on 2019/07/03

Pros

The ease of use and initial set-up. Plus the fact that web-based chat support is available quickly and easily, and the support techs convey the help clearly and in laymen's terms.

Cons

Nothing...since we've started using SportsEngine, we haven't come across anything that we don't like. Anything that we haven't understood or needed help with, we have been able to get that help or clarification ASAP from support services.

Jason S.

Glad we switched!

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

One stop app for all our team spanning multiple leagues. I can keep track of where everyone is play on any given day! SE has been actively updating its offerings either for their web platform or apps based on suggestions made by their users on their Ideas page. Can't wait to see what's next.

We've been giving team managers more access and they love the team management features.

Cons

No Windows 10 app! I get it... not exactly a great case to develop one as their Windows 10 Mobile isn't that popular but with millions of desktops using Windows 10 (including most of our organizations) it would seem a no-brainer to have a simple desktop app to access the info

Chris C.

Longtime customer on the SportsEngine platform

Reviewed on 2017/06/22

Pros

I really like the ease and flexibility of altering the appearance of our site. The widgets make it very to use. Support team is very responsive and their developers seem to be consistently making improvements.

Cons

The sms and messaging has improved greatly for clubs/teams but it needs to have the ability to message on a league wide basis.

Response from SportsEngine

Thanks for the review Chris. We recently released People360, a new tool that allows you to message any and all members. Best of all, you can create groups easily, and also send messages to teams or groups of teams. I think this would be a great solution for you to take care of league wide messaging. Here's more information or you can reach out to your account manager. https://www.sportsengine.com/solutions/people360/

Jon B.

Great Salesrep, Horrible, Clunky Interface and terrible email editor- stay away!

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

(There must be a limit above)... but there's more bad news:

The registration form must be built by 'SportsEngine Engineers'. There's no way to modify it yourself, and when you do add fields, weird things happen and people can't complete the form. Also, don't add fields like "Parent2 Email Address"... because you would think that means that Parent2 would get copied on email and nothing is further from the truth. Also, the system doesn't recognize registrations from the same family (if they occur separately). The result? No way to calculate a 'Maximum Charge" (In our league it's max $300/family)... This just results in more time wasted explaining the limitations of SportsEngine to parents.

The system is cobbled together from a bunch of different technologies... for example, the website editor is different from the registration system, which is COMPLETELY different from the payments system. SportsEngine Sales People... YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE. DON'T DECEIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS INTO THINKING IT IS JUST ONE SYSTEM.

The support is basically chat only, and very, very hard to get a hold of a live human being.

Bottom line, we've been using this two seasons already, and this is the last one as far as I am concerned. (Note: We serve around 1,200 families across a handful of sports including basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.)

So if you are still reading this and somehow still considering SportsEngine, absolutely make sure you are shown how to do basic tasks.

Pros

The ability to log in using Gmail is the saving grace of this software. I also like the admin edit mode (the only thing I like about the edit mode), where you can see what the website looks like as a user, and then change components of it. But that's about it.

Cons

Oh, where do I begin???

The HTML editor looks like it is circa 1997. It's was clearly designed for older computers- you can't even see what you are typing-not enough space. Also, What You See is DEFINITELY NOT what you get. For example, you have to know to hit the Enter key twice if you actually want a line space. Also, forget dropping or pasting pictures- you have to know HTML.

You have to have a degree in SQL programming to figure out how to pull reports. Worse, there is no common field (like a Google Search field) where you can enter in some piece of information... you have to select filter, then select the field, then select a list of operators... and so on... and this is just to find coaches who are registered for the Boys 3rd/4th grade division. it's so frustrating!

Then there are the things you can't do at all... like add an extra email address... This happens all of the time... As an admin, I get requests from parents to add another email address... and I CAN'T DO IT! Only the person who created the account can add additional notification email addresses, and even then (in at least one case) they still don't get emails form the system.

And the emails you do get have automatic advertising.... and are definitely NOT mobile friendly.

It gets worse from there- Coaches HATE, HATE, HATE using SportsEngine to try and upload schedules or even send messages to their team. They actually voted to go back to email.

3.0/10
Todd G.

Best decision we made as a league!

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

The main benefit is the ability to stay in touch with our membership base. I can send an email to all members about camps, upcoming seasons, schedule changes, stats, scores, playoff brackets, all kinds of benefits to choose from. When we started using the software we were a league of around 60 teams. Now we have over a hundred and counting. I do believe that parents love the ease of use and they can have their own team pages at no additional cost to the team.

For anyone that knows how expensive a hosted website can be the cost of SportsEngine is nothing compared to what you receive. Unlimited photos, videos, calendars, team pages..... it just goes on and on. We have used SportsEngine going on 8 years and I can't imagine ever changing. It's just too easy.

Pros

Online Registration, ability to post schedules, standings, playoff results, member database for future events and seasons. With all of our incoming parents they have grown up in the internet age. They expect to be able to have an online source to register, get updates, see schedules, pictures, videos and a lot more. It really does give us a competitive advantage over other leagues.