SportsEngine

Operations management for sports leagues, teams, and clubs

4,4
4,3
4,3
4,2
4,1
Mark M.

Parents love it ... rockstar support ... simple to use!

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

We just ran a fundraiser through the site. 4421 individual products sold through a shareable social media link from our Sports Engine team page. We made money for our lacrosse club and I didn't have to lift a finger. They built it all as a registration. When it comes time for delivery I run one report and all the data is there.

Pros

The interface is simple and user-friendly. Parents and players love the team stats feature! Great mobile App. Reporting is a breeze exportable .xls for everything you want to know. Registrations can be used for fundraising sales. Can't say enough about their support team and I manage a support team for a web hosting company. I could have built all the functionality myself but it would have taken months these guys have an out of the box solution at a reasonable price. Don't listen to the hater reviews they have no idea what it takes to keep an application like this running and are looking for free software that can't do what you need it to do. This stuff works and is reasonably priced!

Cons

Some limitations to the size of pick list you can have them build for you when using registrations as fundraising management but I'm asking a lot of their support team to manually build out lists. I wish they would implement export to Google Drive in the spreadsheet reporting features.

Robert U.

Lots of Features - Difficult to Use - Limited Reporting

Reviewed on 2020/07/08

Mixed. We thought the league website looked better than our previous version. But getting data out of the system and league setup was more difficult than our previous provider.

Pros

It has a robust front-end. Lots of features available for your league/team website. Their tool allowed users to easily build nice looking websites. They had many widgets that allowed you do generate many different web objects on a website (i.e. News articles, league standings, podcasts and use of your own URL). They offer the opportunity to provide feedback to enhance the product.

Cons

Administrator interface was somewhat convoluted and not user friendly. Setting up a season, teams, divisions and games was not straightforward. Reports were limited. In our league, our commissioner needed to track specific penalties. SportsEngine does not offer true report functionality. It lacked the ability to design your own report, specify a query for the exact data you needed or specify the layout of the data. Even though they offer the ability to provide input on new features or suggest them, very few of the suggestions turn into reality. Nice feature to enter games real-time but it also was not always easy to use. Initial outlay was over $6k with annual cost around $700.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Joseph S.

Poor Customer Support

Reviewed on 2020/11/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We decided against renewing this software because of the customer support....or lack of. Getting simple help in changing financial information (which must be done by SE, not the user) such as bank accounts, payment options, etc. takes weeks or months to accomplish. Not an option in the real world.

Pros

Overall very good software. Many features are better than other competitors.

Cons

Learning is all through tutorials and videos. Most are dated, and don't exactly match current software. Getting in-person help is frustrating and not timely.

Jon B.
Industry: Computer Software

Great Salesrep, Horrible, Clunky Interface and terrible email editor- stay away!

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

(There must be a limit above)... but there's more bad news:

The registration form must be built by 'SportsEngine Engineers'. There's no way to modify it yourself, and when you do add fields, weird things happen and people can't complete the form. Also, don't add fields like "Parent2 Email Address"... because you would think that means that Parent2 would get copied on email and nothing is further from the truth. Also, the system doesn't recognize registrations from the same family (if they occur separately). The result? No way to calculate a 'Maximum Charge" (In our league it's max $300/family)... This just results in more time wasted explaining the limitations of SportsEngine to parents.

The system is cobbled together from a bunch of different technologies... for example, the website editor is different from the registration system, which is COMPLETELY different from the payments system. SportsEngine Sales People... YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE. DON'T DECEIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS INTO THINKING IT IS JUST ONE SYSTEM.

The support is basically chat only, and very, very hard to get a hold of a live human being.

Bottom line, we've been using this two seasons already, and this is the last one as far as I am concerned. (Note: We serve around 1,200 families across a handful of sports including basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.)

So if you are still reading this and somehow still considering SportsEngine, absolutely make sure you are shown how to do basic tasks.

Pros

The ability to log in using Gmail is the saving grace of this software. I also like the admin edit mode (the only thing I like about the edit mode), where you can see what the website looks like as a user, and then change components of it. But that's about it.

Cons

Oh, where do I begin???

The HTML editor looks like it is circa 1997. It's was clearly designed for older computers- you can't even see what you are typing-not enough space. Also, What You See is DEFINITELY NOT what you get. For example, you have to know to hit the Enter key twice if you actually want a line space. Also, forget dropping or pasting pictures- you have to know HTML.

You have to have a degree in SQL programming to figure out how to pull reports. Worse, there is no common field (like a Google Search field) where you can enter in some piece of information... you have to select filter, then select the field, then select a list of operators... and so on... and this is just to find coaches who are registered for the Boys 3rd/4th grade division. it's so frustrating!

Then there are the things you can't do at all... like add an extra email address... This happens all of the time... As an admin, I get requests from parents to add another email address... and I CAN'T DO IT! Only the person who created the account can add additional notification email addresses, and even then (in at least one case) they still don't get emails form the system.

And the emails you do get have automatic advertising.... and are definitely NOT mobile friendly.

It gets worse from there- Coaches HATE, HATE, HATE using SportsEngine to try and upload schedules or even send messages to their team. They actually voted to go back to email.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Richard C.

Using SPortsEngine as a referee

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Use the software as an end user to go in for game reports.
After a game when there is a penalty to report, I go to SportEngine and look up the game

Sometimes I go in to look at future games coming up

Pros

All league games are listed.
Games are usually in one central location (Need good thought process as to how leagues and games are listed)

Cons

Penalties from games are listed in order they occurred rather than broken out by team
Not always intuitive

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Kip T.
Company size: Self Employed

Database Doesnt Work They just take money

Reviewed on 2018/09/04

The customer service has become terrible.

The database was flawless till the end of June and now simply does not work.

Pros

The program is a series of templates that you can manipulate for your specific organization.
The system is fairly robust in the options and ways you can get what you need done.

Cons

The database is not working. It has not worked for over two months. Clients who register I am not able to see nor have any idea who they are. They created a new area to register that should have simplified it, but that has not fully worked either.

The phone system doesnt work. If you call they tell you to go to the website and register for a chat or schedule a phone call, then it hangs up.

I have been on with support 4-5 times in the past 2 months and they have not resolved it and give you a canned response.

As of this date, my database still does not work and the customer support is very poor. Nor have they refunded any monies as I have asked.

Kim G.
Industry: Education Management

Proven technology, support is quick and they care about my site.

Reviewed on 2017/06/25

Branding our Athletic Department. Great communication tool for messaging and the calendar. Parents and faculty at the high school LOVE the visibility and the professional look.

Pros

Easy to use. Lot of room for creativity. Great communication tool. Great customer and technology support. Online DIY videos are very helpful! Unlimited photos and videos for parents is a big deal! Mirroring tools are valuable. The ability to build custom reports is very helpful. The look is very professional and has helped me "brand" our Athletic Department. When I need to talk to a real person, they are there for me.

Cons

Parents don't read my directions. The software is awesome. When I am searching for an issue in the video support site, I get too many answers. Would love if it would let me search for a term in quotes so I can get to the exact topic. For example, if I put in a search for "how to create a team event" I get every possible topic that has the word "team" in it. Would be helpful to search an exact term. But tech service has worked when the search engine does not. And my Baseball teams wants to separate the calendar events so they can track statistics. Right now I put on the calendar, then when he duplicates an event for statistics, it's confusing to families.

Chris W.
Industry: Sports

SportsEngine is by far the easiest sports related software platform I've ever used.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Ease of use, improved communication and much more.

Pros

As the Director the Mankato Sports Commission as well as being involved at a volunteer level for numerous sports organizations I have been exposed to and had to use many different sports related software/website platforms. SportsEngine is hands down the best of any I have ever used. In minutes I can show somebody who has never used the software a few basic things and get them up to speed enough that they can easily help manage a website on this platform. I love that you don't need to know how to write code or really any technical aspects in order to make changes or updates.

Cons

Occasionally I run into things I'd like to do on our website that are not available as options however the SportsEngine team always gets back to me in timely fashion to either let me know of a way to do it or let me know if that is something they are working on.

Derek R.
Industry: Sports

SportsEngine has been a great partner and provider for our organization for nearly a decade.

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

We currently use the software for our website, a mobile app, tournament software, background screening and online registrations.

Pros

The best part about SportsEngine's platform is how easy it is to use. It is very simple for administrators who don't have a computer science or programming background to learn how to use the site and create a great online presence. Another great feature of this software is how it is being continuously improved. There are a number of features and functionality available today are weren't just a couple of years ago, and product enhancements continue to be launched frequently.

Cons

Registration fees include a transaction fee and a percentage-based processing fee. These seem small up front, but they can really add up if you process a significant number (or high priced) registrations.

Kalen H.

Great Product! Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Pros

I love using SportsEngine software. It has made having a functional website even easier. From the design to the daily use and customer service, every part of the partnership has exceeded my expectations.

Cons

Nothing, it has been a perfect option for our club.

Shula S.

Great for Multiple Teams in one Family

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

When this software is used by all the teams in the organization it is great!

Pros

I love that with my 4 kids in sports, I can see a daily snapshot of who is where and when. It is extremely effective for ease of use.

Cons

Only one email can be added by the admin for each child. However, as the parent, I can then add on my spouse and grandparents after.

Melanie W.
Industry: Sports

Easy to learn and easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

My experience with this company has been very positive. This is the 4th website company I have used since I've been in business (10 years). With all other companies I had to email them with changes and then depend on them getting done correctly. It was not an ideal set up and was more expensive. However, the software was more complicated than my non-techy brain could handle. Changing to SportsEngine was one of the best decisions I have made. I can quickly make the changes as needed, and I didn't need to be a computer programmer to learn how.

Pros

This software did not take long to learn, especially with the assistance of the company. I love that it only takes me a few minutes to update information and replace pictures.

Cons

I haven't found anything I didn't like.

Britania K.

Support from Team today was amazing and fast. 10 Stars for their service.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/06/15

Pros

its user friendly and supports in place encourage new users to navigate easily and learn at their
own pace. its easy to generate and share reports. uploading pictures to keep relevant web content is appreciated as kids enjoy seeing their pictures.

Cons

i actually do not have complaints about this software as i am just learning, the tutorials have helped so it is not intimidating by any means and the convenience of the on line chat is fantastic. Maybe I won't like the mobile version as sometimes apps do not have everything but honestly in a pinch i would use it but these old eyes prefer a bigger screen to work from.

Billy S.

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019/10/10

Its been great. Wish they had a 1-800 support number not just email?

Pros

Its really user friendly. Looks professional.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at this time, maybe phone support

Chris P.

Easy to navigate and always someone available to help when needed.

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

Pros

Ease of use. Not being a "techy person" it was important to have something easy to create and modify.

Cons

Although we love the ease of creating registration the back end fees of money collection is always a challenge.

Patty A.
Industry: Sports

The Customer Support is outstanding.

Reviewed on 2017/06/22

Makes my job less time consuming.

Pros

Being able to create monetary and non-monetary registrations, Team Pages, Event and News Aggregator.
Customer support is available by phone. All staff are friendly and extremely helpful.

Cons

Would like more formatting options when setting up pages.
Easier ways to upload schedules from excel.

Karen L.
Industry: Sports

Overall, Sport Engine is a great platform...very comprehensive and data-driven.

Reporting

Pros

I can pull reports of any kind. Once I provide the link for registration, it is remarkable when the registrations actually complete.

Cons

Parents sometimes have a challenge when registering. They have to sometime recreate their profiles, which they find to be a downside of the program.

Michelle C.
Industry: Sports

Great potential, need work on service and support

Reviewed on 2019/05/15

I would rate SportsEngine very high on the potential. The account manager sells a good product, he simply has no support to back up his service promises.
My overall experience has been a disappointment. Here are some specifics to consider.
1. No administrator support unless scheduled. You cannot schedule until 2 business days out. They offer a 5 or 15 minute window only. Hours are between 9-5. I like that you can indicate what your objective of the call is, however they scheduled me with someone that was unable to help.
2. Very slow response times. Usually 5 days for simple questions.
3. The phone number on the website WILL cut you off. I called to enquire how long a system would be down (I took a day off work to manage this) and there was no way to find out.
4. I expressed my feedback on these points and was quickly put in my place. The response was defensive and self serving. I’m only looking for help folks! Forgive me if that was too much for a client to ask.
5. After weeks of attempts. I still cannot upload a schedule. So all of the compliments above are really for nothing if I’m spending futile hours trying to get help.

Pros

The potential of the software is great. Moving team schedules to an ap vs online can save coaches a lot of time. The ap works well, easy to understand user friendly.

Cons

Agility and administrator support.
I’ve experienced significant ‘downtime’ when trying to work with the system. The security level goes up and down. My software has strong firewalls that will block out sportengine during these downtime’s. In my experience there are too many of them.

Mark L.

SportsEngine a Coach's Dream

Reviewed on 2019/08/25

I can communicate with my students easily when they have access and I can send messages and information to them with ease.

Great communication platform

Cons

Students have to use email to sign up instead of a cell phone number.

Stephanie W.

SportsEngine is amazing for any sports website.

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Pros

I like the ease of use the most. It is simple with basic language that anyone can use it. You have access to a community forum, help pages, and customer service rep is always there to help you.

Cons

It would be nice to have Hudl integration. For our players and coaches, it would be nice to have that integrated and automatically update on the roster.

Kevin G.

Go to App for all Sports

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Positive

Pros

Love this app. Allows me to communicate with parents on schedules, practices, fundraising and much more. Love being able to add a field or gym location allowing parents to click for directions.

Cons

So far so good. Everyone I know who uses this app seems to like it except for the crazy parents. You know who I’m talking about. 😂

Matthew O.

Great Sports Management Tool

Reviewed on 2019/07/01

Pros

How easy it is to organize and communicate with multiple teams from one location.

Cons

I wish it expanded on the ability for scoring events in live format. The full desktop version of inputting scoring for events seems to have a lot more functionality than what is found inside the app.

Mike R.

Always great and helpful people. Love the software!!

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

It made our registration so easy now. No paper to handle. No money to handle. Those two things make it worth it by themselves.

Pros

It's so user friendly and easy to use. You can add and subtract from the site at will. Easy to attach documents. The reporting is also a great feature. The registration itself is easy for our parents to use.

Briana P.

User Friendly Software

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

User-friendly and easy to assign access to new members.

Cons

Minor Cons: More options for present pages, being able to customize page containers differently and change image sizes on pages.

Jayson H.
Industry: Sports

SportsEngine is a great system for registration, league standings, and overall web presence.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

ease of use
database of info
lots of different tools to modify website look
all of the info we need to run our league is at our fingertips

Cons

needs better messaging to the users (like teamsnap, sorry)
I wish there was an easier way to resize photos on the website direct (like fit to an adjustable window)