Ning for Businesses Reviews

Ning for Businesses

Social Networking, Community

3.3/5 (9 reviews)
Susan D.

Ning for me was a great adventure in learning a new platform.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/05/11

I got my feet wet with online marketing with Ning as my first and still most loved content management system. I learned a great deal.

Pros

I used Ning for three different attempts at building a social network that was self-sustaining over a period of several years.

What attracted me to it was of course, having my own niche social network where like-minded individuals can come to support each other in their online or offline pursuits.

The Ning community and web site is a niche social site in itself and that is a built-in peer support group right out of the box. I learned a lot of coding and site tweaking techniques and tips from these people that will benefit me for years to come.

With my Ning sites, from a designer point of view, I was able to easily re-design, re-brand, update color schemes, and add new and interesting components with relative ease.

One of the most enticing features, as a social network, is that when you go from the Ning site to your own Ning site to your friends Ning site, you keep the same friends from one to the other and add more as you join other sites. This is a feature I really enjoy.

I believe that if Ning continues to upgrade and improve its service, it will continue to be a high contender in the niche social network platform community of service providers.

Cons

In the beginning of my Ning journey which was approximately nine years ago, I noticed that there was a great deal of concern by Ning users about some of the developer features and the lack of a member payment feature.

For instance, the Facebook sign in feature didn't work right for years. That was a development issue.

I believe that most of the earlier development bugs were worked out through a series of upgrades to the platform and now they also have a paid member feature that can be added.

The pricing has gotten too high, in my opinion. I believe that they need to offer a lower price for the new sites until they've built up their membership. The very fact that this is a niche network platform that takes time to obtain members to sustain the site makes their packages over priced for small businesses. It's a fine price for corporate companies, but very limiting for the new entrepreneur.

Other than that, I don't have much to report on the downside of Ning. I look forward to creating and running my next Ning network with the knowledge I've gained from my decade long journey with this platform.

Shahram S.

Most reliable online Community Builder site

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Great platform for very small staffed community sites!

Pros

We build a Ning site for our Non-Profit community. it grew to 3000 members within 2 year! Since I was the only webmaster, I needed a platform that saves me all the technical work and let me just administrate it, and Ning was the choice!

Cons

Customer support was not as fast, but they did respond by next day. The rss feed modules would not update at times and I had to empty the cache for the site a few time. But no big deal.

7.0/10
Rachael O.

Solid solution for creating a company-wide social network

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Pros

Wonderful way to connect company-wide with the message boards and chat functionality.

Cons

It would be nice if the maximum file size limit was increased, as we often have to store files on a separate server and link to them on Ning.

7.0/10
Elena M.

Ning seems to be alive again. Support is cool

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/09/04

I suggested Ning software for building alumni community of my college.

Pros

I saw their new design - it`s cool. It`s a good sign that the company is moving ahead. And I wouldn`t risk to change a tested since 2013 Ning to a new product. Especially now, when Ning adds new features.

Cons

It has been quiet for a long long time. Previous management didn't put any efforts to contact with creators. Let's see what will happen after their big changes.

Response from Ning

Elena, thank you! We are aspiring for more and making big changes within to make your user experience better. You are welcomed to share your thoughts with our customer support.

Always yours, Ning :)

Sandra B.

Helped me to create my community, good design studio, ease of use

Reviewed on 2017/08/31

Very easy to use, great support working 24/7

Pros

Design studio, extensive guides and support, forum feature. There are the top. Also I loved that in the future I can create events and send email broadcasts.

Cons

Trial period is only 2 weeks - which is quite short for me, as I needed time to attract members and see how to communicate with them

Response from Ning

Thank you for being sincere! We do care and read your reviews, it's our motivation to become better and give more. You know that we are open for discussion, so you can write to our Customer Support as well. Will be excited to chat with you:)
Always yours, Ning.

Liza U.

Ning is surprising me with new features and updates

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/09/07

I needed close community for my customers where they can share their idea and discuss relevant topics

Pros

I`m pleasantly surprised with new updates. As I know, a new version will provide an opportunity to add and listen to music. I don`t know for sure, but looking forward to.

Cons

When I just launched my network, I needed some educational videos to explain how everything works. But haven't found any materials. And their dashboard could be better

Mark H.

Low quality product with unfair customer service.

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

The ability to create a basic community quickly is nice - but that's about it.

Cons

We did a short trial with Ning, and quickly found the platform lacked a quality UI, was slow to operate, and challenging to customize. Integrations with other systems were essentially a non-starter. The fancy marketing, aggressive sales, and given 14-day trial makes you think you can make progress in a short amount of time, but the indeed the work needed was substantial. When we forgot to cancel in time, even though we never utilized the platform or touched it after our 14 days, they still charged us for a full year of service and refused to provide a fair reimbursement for a product we never used.

1.0/10

Used Ning for years

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/02/06
Review Source

Pros

I like that Ning made a built in paid membership feature. Many many others will only allow a 3rd party software or “patch” to make this work.

Cons

Boxy look and feel. They never allowed for an integrated storefront. I had to do a third party software to sell products.

2.0/10
Kadir E.

Horrible service, horrible support

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/02/27

Charged me without authorization, refused to refund for the remaining 30 days of the subscription... Never again.

Pros

Simple, easy to use, good for beginners

Cons

Money-hungry organization, poor customer service, impossible to customize

0.0/10