Hive

Powerful project management and collaboration platform.

4,4
4,6
Robert F.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

The Only Project Management Software with the Features I need

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

Hive is the only project management software that is cloud collaborative, has infinite sub tasks, and Gantt charts so it was an easy choice. Also it is not Microsoft Project so I don't have to deal with their insane billing methods.

Chatting inside tasks or letting task owners turn sub tasks into their own projects is great. Everyone can keep up with who is working on what and who needs help or what is holding up the project. Sign in and billing is super easy.

Support is extremely reactive when I have questions. There is a bunch of stats on task completion that I don't use, but look useful.

Cons

The mobile app has significantly reduced functionality compared to desktop.

Stephen brent M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

The project management product we were looking for

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

Pros

We looked at and tested several project management options and had used several in the past. Hive was never on our radar and unfortunately isn't as well known, but we discovered it through the WeWork employee portal and gave it a try. The set up was simple, it offered flexibility in terms of how you view and sort projects. It also allowed us to add external users without paying for a seat. This was extremely important because we want our clients to have access to our project boards, but we don't need full functionality for them.

While it wasn't available when we first started using it, the addition of time tracking was a huge bonus for us as an agency, and Hive continues to impress us by adding additional features and functionality. When it comes to support, they are extremely responsive and in the rare times we have had to utilize support, issues have been resolved to satusfaction.

Cons

I wish there was a native integration with HubSpot, but we're able to get around that with Zapier.

Christopher K.

Love Hive!!

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Organization, costing, task management. The Hive app and mobile are also awesome!

Pros

We are a small digital marketing firm. We had tried other programs, but Hive had the best package of support, collaboration and work flow!

Cons

Time tracking needs some work, but that is eclipsed by the wonders of version control and mark up of assets prior to approval.

Jeff C.
Industry: Environmental Services

Close But Not Quite

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Timely response to chat logs. It would be a great product if the e-mail integration actually added value to ones workflow.

Pros

Intuitive, easy to navigate. Many useful features you would expect with a project collaboration tool.

Cons

Gmail attachments make into to the HIVE e-mail interface only about half of the time. Of those that do make it into HIVE about 65% must be downloaded rather than simply read. Hive will read a g.doc via Drive but all other attachments must be downloaded. If you create an action from the Hive e-mail and want to work on the documents that are attached, you would have to download and reattach the the documents to the action card. That renders HIVE e-mail integration about useless if you get a lot of e-mails with attachments. For me Hive is a no go for that reason. But, also because only half of the attachments even make into Hive to begin with.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Nina D.
Industry: E-Learning

Hive is a Complete Gamechanger!

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Overall, Hive has been a game changer for us. We haven't had a project management or project planning tool at all since I have started at my company and having this now has been so helpful. The ease of use and the user friendly interface has made the adoption process smooth and collaboration has seemed to soar so far.

Pros

What I love most about Hive is the number of options you have to make the project plan work for you. In my organization, we have a variety of different project types and sometimes one size does not fit all. We have the option now to plan our projects out based on the type of tasks/teams that are assigned and and we can find something that fits for each one. It's also been so incredibly helpful to have a variety of different views so we can share them with our clients and it makes updating projects so much easier when a milestone shifts or something like that. The integrations also make it extremely helpful for us to share projects across different departments.

Cons

One of the only cons I have seen so far is the Jira integration. We have a software team that operates solely through Jira and while that works for them, we've been trying to bridge the gap between Jira and Hive so that we can work efficiently. I just wish that the integration with Jira was a little more robust, however, it's not something that will make things super difficult for us and would just be a nice to have!

Bram V.

Easy project management

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Hive has been a great help in keeping an overview of all the different projects that run simultaneously. Assigning tasks, checking off to-do lists and tracking time is what I use Hive for on a daily basis, and with great pleasure!

Pros

The software is really easy to use - and very friendly to the eyes and mind. I love using the Gantt-chart option when setting up projects, to keep a nice overview of the status of a project.

For employees to be able to switch project views is an excellent tool too, because not everyone needs the overview like me.

Cons

What I like least is the way integration with email and Slack is done. It definitely works, and probably like charm knowing the team and the software, but it sits on a rather small portion of the screen and makes the rest of the app a lot smaller, too.

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Bram,

Thanks for leaving a review of Hive! We're thrilled that you've been loving Gantt. If there's ever anything we can do for you, feel free to reach out at [email protected]

Best,
The Hive Team

Sadie P.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Thank you Hive for making our business run seamlessly!

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Hive has made communication between our company's team easy. Now, we don't have to constantly call each other, have follow-up meetings, and walk into each other's offices. We can simply log into Hive and see who is doing what. We know when things are due and what needs to be done next. Because of Hive communication is easy so we can focus on getting jobs done for clients and getting them done on time.

Pros

Hive is ridiculously user friendly. I like most how our team can collaborate on different tasks and we all know who is doing what and when. We also know when everything is due and what is to be done next. It makes communication and completing tasks practically effortless. Now we can focus less on the lists and to-do's because of Hive; now, we have more time to focus on actually completing the tasks themselves. Because of Hive, we can get jobs completed for customers on time. I also really like the time clock feature, where we can log our hours for different tasks and clients. Plus, anytime I have questions or troubles, the Hive customer support team is right there, ready to help. I can't rave about Hive enough.

Cons

I honestly have nothing that I least like about this software. It's an amazing product that myself and our company uses every day.

Morgan P.
Industry: Music
Company size: Self Employed

Great for Project Management and Planning

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

I have been able to create and implement my goals and achieve my deadlines successfully.

Pros

I'm a self-employed individual user. I found Hive in a search for a software that could be easily used by individual to manage deadlines, projects, and future goal planning all on one platform, with interweaving timeline features. Most softwares don't accommodate individual users, but Hive does!

Cons

No, Hive is very easy to use and has helped me organize my business very well.

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your kind words, we're glad you're enjoying your Hive experience. If you ever need anything from the Hive team, please reach out to [email protected]

Best,
The Hive Team

Eddie L.
Industry: Education Management

Versatile and solid UX platform

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

It's been great

Pros

There are many platforms for organization and everyone has many different types of processes. With Hive we managed employer partnerships, customers, and development items all in a single application.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is an actual negative, but I wish it was cheaper

Frank x. P.

Truly Insightful Project Management for Agencies

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Pros

The multiple team and dashboard views are a difference maker for our team, as well as the agency view which helps us anticipate and overcome potential bottlenecks.

Cons

The mobile app is not nearly as robust as the desktop version.

Michelle K.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Overall good, can tell quirks are getting worked out as the product grows and evolves.

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Overall it has been good. We have watched the program evolve and have definitely noticed improvements in ease of use and functionality. Several questions/ functional issues that I have had and expressed through surveys and chats have been modified/corrected, so it's good to see that the company is actually paying attention to how people are using it.

Pros

-Multiple methods of tracking and organizing projects.
-Easy for multiple people to see what needs to be done on a project
-timelines make is easy to see where a project is going
-chats make it easy to keep shared notes available to everybody
-The time tracking feature is a nice addition. We are still getting the hang of using it effectively, but I think it is a good addition.

Cons

-Definitely don't like the new blue expansion boxes in the Gnatt view. Too easy to rename/delete something
-Can't see my notes on Hive mobile.
-Wish the green "complete" mark bubbles could change color depending on what the status of an item is.
-I don't understand why the subactions of a phase don't stay condensed/expanded as I left them, instead of randomly expanding/condensing upon close & reopen of a project.
-Wish there was an option of deleting all the subactions when a phase is deleted, instead of having them appear in a different phase then have to delete each one manually, individually.
-I'm not sure if I'm missing an option, or if there is a bug, but it seems like dependencies don't always make the things they are attached to, move together. Maybe I just need a more through explanation of how the feature works.

Jeff G.

A Great Tool For An Old Dog Who's Still Learning New Tricks

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

All jobs are run through Hive so we solve all our team productivity, scheduling and asset sharing (not final assets but briefs, notes, schedules, background documents, comps, etc) through the tool. We do not currently use the tool for client interaction, sharing or as an approval mechanism although we would like to.

Pros

I very much like the ablility to integrate IM, email and the productivity capabilities into one tool. It's a fantastic way to keep a 360-degree record of every job.

Cons

I do find that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me. I've been in this business for a long time but have always relied on others in supporting roles like traffic and production. Working for a small company where I am now responsible for everything from strategy to implementation and project management is a big challenge in and of itself. But learning the software on top of that does take time. It's not necessarily intuitive for someone like me that hasn't used other productivity software. Finding help and instructional videos to help me learn the basics and progress is somewhat difficult. I find myself spending lots of time sifting through the blog, doing Google and YouTube searches and reaching out through he tool's chat capability (often times it takes several hours to get a response). I wish there was a channel with all the videos that were well organized into a series of tutorials that would get you up and running quickly. I do a lot of trial and error and "learn by doing" on the platform. Again, because I'm a newbie, I suspect that would be the same no matter which tool I was using and probably isn't an issue for my younger, software native, brethren.

Chantal S.
Industry: Accounting

Happy Hivers

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

As a virtual accounting team, we are using Hive not only to document our full range of workflow processes and procedures, but also as an audit trail. Hive keeps us on task and on point with client commitments, and has helped us collaborate with each other more effectively. Internal emails are almost non-existent now w/ the Hive messaging and commenting tools. We looked at all the options out there and were impressed with how Hive seems to bring the best of each project management platform to bear. It has been a gamechanger for us.

Pros

Love the clean, bright interface, the options for data/project organization and visual representation, and stellar customer support - especially during onboarding. Hive messaging is also really slick (we no longer use Slack) and the platform's Giphy integration makes for some fun times for our virtual team.

Cons

There are some quirks which we have discussed at length with the development team - most notably the inability to create dependent tasks within project actions that recur. We hear they are working on it, though. And our direct contact with support is a main reason we love Hive.

Lindsey S.
Industry: Accounting

We love Hive!

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Hive has allowed us to seamlessly connect, communication, collaborate between our team members, while being organized and efficient.

Pros

This software has helped us streamline our operations - allowing our team of designers and project managers to communicate and work on projects collaboratively and seamlessly. It helps us all be on the same page and ensures that we get our projects done on time.

Cons

We have no cons to report. Any issues we have with the software are related to organization and user set up. For example, if one doesn't check their "flagged items" daily, then they back up, which is a problem but it's on the user.

Melvin L.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great for productivity and task tracking at mass

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Overall, Hive was a great addition to the team. We used to do daily catchups with the stakeholders, which honestly wasted a lot of time in total for the whole team. With Hive, not only are we able to streamline work, it is also accountable and saves times by reducing needs for constant catchups on a daily basis. Anytime a stakeholder needs an idea of where the project is going, all that needs to be done is to login to Hive.

Pros

Easy to use, many different views and ways to personalize the UI to suit each person's needs.
Notifications are great to also help track tasks and ensure completion of tasks amongst the team is done well.

Hive is great for small teams with large, repetitive tasks that needs to be tracked on multiple steps, which is what exactly my team has been using it for. All in all good experience, has helped cut down the need or daily catchups as all stakeholders can easily see project status and update project details quickly as well

Cons

No way to track version history.
We have a rouge person who keeps randomly deleting our templates in the organisation. Hive has no way to track things like these however.

Also, I have used other project management softwares, and a lack of a desktop app or a addon (meaning you have to always open a tab to get the notifications) is a bit of a bummer

Wagner A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

A good tool for multiple projects

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

My company works with local and remote teams. With Hive we manage and use human resources more assertively. Some of the tools of the platform, such as the management of estimated time to complete the tasks, helps us to work in this mixed regime.

Pros

one of the best features of the tool is the ability to view projects in different ways. Be it as a schedule, status or Gantt view.
This allows us to configure the best way to follow each project, either by the team's need or simply to facilitate the follow-up on a daily basis.
I recommend for teams with a mixed regime of employees (presence and remote) and for those who work with multiple projects requiring daily updating

Cons

Unfortunately the mobile app version of the platform still has many problems. It is necessary to change the visualization of the tasks and to improve the speed of access and update, the simple act of changing the menu options generates a lot of loading time. I believe that the mobile version needs a complete overhaul, I've already tried to use it on the iOS and Android platforms, but the problems are similar and many members of my team simply stopped using the app.

Kathleen P.
Industry: Insurance

Best Task Management System Ever Created

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

As a Health benefits office, this program makes every task we do easy to complete and with the utmost efficiency that the task is absolutely done or what needs to be done to complete it.

Pros

I love how simple it is to create the task cards and customize them any way necessary.

Cons

Once something is deleted such as a comment or a picture it is permanently deleted.

Tyler B.

Hive Changed my life

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

Hive is the single best end-to-end project management software on the market. I've tried pretty much all of them and they hide critical features behind tiered payment plans unnecessarily. I have team members all across the world and we all use it to stay on top of critical projects daily.

I especially love the forms feature for standard or weekly tasks.

Every single time I've reached out to customer service regarding questions or issues they've been professional and especially helpful to me. They've always known how to help, gone out of their way to make sure I was satisfied, and given me exactly what I need.

In my opinion, Hive knocks every single other task or project management software out of the water. It has increased our productivity, simplified our communication, prevented issues with clients, and given everyone in my company peace of mind.

Cons

The app for the phone isn't as functional as the desktop app for Mac or the online version.

Courtney P.
Industry: Graphic Design

A Great Project Management Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It's been great working with Hive! My team and I use this application every day and I've found it really helpful for project management, which is one of my day to day tasks. I was responsible for finding a PM tool when I joined the team—and I'm so grateful that I found Hive!

Pros

In the past, I've used Asana for project management and Slack for messaging. Hive is the best of both worlds! I also prefer the layouts in Hive to any PM tools I've seen. Status view, calendar, Gantt chart and table view are all really helpful.

Cons

Tags and dependencies can be developed a bit more. Also, notifications are often messy. Would love an inbox for notifications rather than a popup in the top right corner and have the ability to mark certain tasks as read or unread.

Ashley S.
Industry: Research

Great way to organize your team & work flow!

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

Veyr good. It works perfectly for us as a small firm working priarily remotely.

Pros

Hive is a great software for organizing our team's time, projects and work flow. Our team works remotely, and this tool really helps us to connect with one another and coordinate our efforts. As an administrator, I am able to easily monitor projects to ensure we are on time and budget (using the time tracking estimates), and my team's time to ensure our resources have enough but not too much work. It also allows us to measure our productivity and adjust our time and budget estimates for future projects.

Cons

It was a bi of a learning curve, so although ease of use now is okay I think this part could be enhanced. We are unable to send emails from hive using alias', which is difficult because I use one for my firm (many small business do) and makes the email feature unusable for us and there should be an option so that only administrators can see time of other employees. This is for us to monitor and it is inappropriate for other employees to see, as they do not necessarily know the circumstances for another staff which may be confidential.

Darren D.
Industry: Entertainment

Hive user

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Overall it has been pretty good. I like that the software generally is very fast and responsive. The only area which is sluggish is the notes section which is a shame honestly because generally I'd want to see notes open up quickly if Im not prepared to start jotting things down on an impromptu call.

Pros

I like the my actions section the most. It allows me to just quickly note down actions rapidly and then

Cons

I think the task view could be reorganized a bit with regards to the UI/UX. It can be difficult to find things, and I'd like to see comments to be more prominent rather than at the bottom. I think github issues has a great layout that makes the conversations easier but still having an organized layout of options on the right.

Jason B.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Hive is the Most Versatile Task-Management Tool I've Ever Used

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I love using Hive. I have been demonstrably more productive at scheduling out my time and seeing what's on my plate. I love it so much that I've been paying for it out of pocket for about nine months (as of this writing) because my company has yet to approve paying for it (just for budget reasons).

Pros

Hive is versatile, customizable, and easy to use to track the completion of projects and tasks. The simple fact that you can instantly convert a project from Kanban style to a calendar view is incredible.

Cons

The arrangement of the projects at the top isn't ideal.

Amanda Z.
Industry: Computer Software

Great software at a competitive price

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Our team does not have a project manager, so we needed a tool that would streamline our project processes and enable each team member to PM their own projects. Hive allowed us to get projects spun up faster and has increased our cross-functional team collaboration.

Pros

There are so many features that I love about Hive. My favorite is that you can tailor each project view to what works best. The ability to provide reviews in app and establish approval flows is awesome. Additionally, the template design is robust and allows you to quickly form a project plan.

Cons

I would like a better alert system and the ability to leave alerts unread - once you read them, they disappear from the main notification tab. I would like more high-level reporting that we can bubble up for executive review.

Jesse F.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Hive for in-house design & marketing team

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It;'s been pretty much exactly what I wanted, and has worked as well as I could have hoped for. It has helped us greatly reduce the time it was taking us to input data from design requests, and it helps us stay on track with our large volume of active projects.

Pros

First off, it's the best priced option I found in my research. It's way below other services. I was happy to find that the interface and functionality did not suffer due to the low price tag. The platform is pretty much ideal for our purposes, design request forms, job traffic, and even long term strategic organization. Customer support is good, generally quick responses and help.

Cons

A few minor things here and there, like not being able to delete custom fields that I created. I feel like I looked pretty thoroughly for a way to delete them and didn't find it, but I also have not spoken to customer support, which i'm sure could help. Some trouble adding users at first, invite email took a while to get to teh person.

Jim C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Comprehensive Collaboration Feature Set

Reviewed on 2017/09/26

Hive brings our entire team into one collaborative workspace, allowing us to replace most emails with chat & task management. Samepage.io is also worth reviewing - haven't tried it but seems to also have a strong feature set at a similar or lower price, and includes video chat.

Pros

* Ability to view work by project, but team members all in one view, and then filter tasks to everything assigned to me across multiple projects
* Chat
* Responsiveness of customer service team via in app Intercom

Cons

* Threaded chat would be nice. This was recently added to Slack, but Workplace by Facebook does it even better
* Filter out actions that have not hit their start date yet, AND tasks that have an unmet dependency. Goal is to focus attention toward work which can be done now, and minimize extra human manual filtering.
* Needs FILTER BY DATE COMPLETED: We're most interested in seeing this available on the "My team" view, but could also make sense elsewhere. While we can filter status view by assignees, projects and status complete, just need this additional ability
* Should be a way to AUTOMATICALLY MOVE URGENT ACTIONS TO TOP: Automatically sort tasks marked "urgent" to top of each respective status list when "Sort Type" "Sort by Priority" has been selected in the project navigator so users don't have to hunt them down and pull them up.