Hive

Powerful project management and collaboration platform.

4,3
4,6
Frank x. P.

Truly Insightful Project Management for Agencies

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Pros

The multiple team and dashboard views are a difference maker for our team, as well as the agency view which helps us anticipate and overcome potential bottlenecks.

Cons

The mobile app is not nearly as robust as the desktop version.

Tracy B.
Industry: Entertainment

Flexible, intuitive & versatile scheduling program

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

I've had a great experience thus far. Customer service has been available for simple questions, and online tutorials with the account manager really made the difference. We tested a few different options for centralizing our data and Hive was the winner for us.

Pros

It's great to have a centralized space to manage all the company projects and view them in a single, customizable timeline. It's easy to amend as things inevitably shift. I started with the free trial to test out its features and was able to do the initial setup. The tools and layout are intuitive for those who build schedules and budgets.

Cons

Initial set up does take some time as you build the database and various templates. Customization requires some knowledge of the plug-ins.

Jeff G.

A Great Tool For An Old Dog Who's Still Learning New Tricks

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

All jobs are run through Hive so we solve all our team productivity, scheduling and asset sharing (not final assets but briefs, notes, schedules, background documents, comps, etc) through the tool. We do not currently use the tool for client interaction, sharing or as an approval mechanism although we would like to.

Pros

I very much like the ablility to integrate IM, email and the productivity capabilities into one tool. It's a fantastic way to keep a 360-degree record of every job.

Cons

I do find that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me. I've been in this business for a long time but have always relied on others in supporting roles like traffic and production. Working for a small company where I am now responsible for everything from strategy to implementation and project management is a big challenge in and of itself. But learning the software on top of that does take time. It's not necessarily intuitive for someone like me that hasn't used other productivity software. Finding help and instructional videos to help me learn the basics and progress is somewhat difficult. I find myself spending lots of time sifting through the blog, doing Google and YouTube searches and reaching out through he tool's chat capability (often times it takes several hours to get a response). I wish there was a channel with all the videos that were well organized into a series of tutorials that would get you up and running quickly. I do a lot of trial and error and "learn by doing" on the platform. Again, because I'm a newbie, I suspect that would be the same no matter which tool I was using and probably isn't an issue for my younger, software native, brethren.

Chantal S.
Industry: Accounting

Happy Hivers

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

As a virtual accounting team, we are using Hive not only to document our full range of workflow processes and procedures, but also as an audit trail. Hive keeps us on task and on point with client commitments, and has helped us collaborate with each other more effectively. Internal emails are almost non-existent now w/ the Hive messaging and commenting tools. We looked at all the options out there and were impressed with how Hive seems to bring the best of each project management platform to bear. It has been a gamechanger for us.

Pros

Love the clean, bright interface, the options for data/project organization and visual representation, and stellar customer support - especially during onboarding. Hive messaging is also really slick (we no longer use Slack) and the platform's Giphy integration makes for some fun times for our virtual team.

Cons

There are some quirks which we have discussed at length with the development team - most notably the inability to create dependent tasks within project actions that recur. We hear they are working on it, though. And our direct contact with support is a main reason we love Hive.

Courtney P.
Industry: Graphic Design

A Great Project Management Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It's been great working with Hive! My team and I use this application every day and I've found it really helpful for project management, which is one of my day to day tasks. I was responsible for finding a PM tool when I joined the team—and I'm so grateful that I found Hive!

Pros

In the past, I've used Asana for project management and Slack for messaging. Hive is the best of both worlds! I also prefer the layouts in Hive to any PM tools I've seen. Status view, calendar, Gantt chart and table view are all really helpful.

Cons

Tags and dependencies can be developed a bit more. Also, notifications are often messy. Would love an inbox for notifications rather than a popup in the top right corner and have the ability to mark certain tasks as read or unread.

Amanda Z.
Industry: Computer Software

Great software at a competitive price

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Our team does not have a project manager, so we needed a tool that would streamline our project processes and enable each team member to PM their own projects. Hive allowed us to get projects spun up faster and has increased our cross-functional team collaboration.

Pros

There are so many features that I love about Hive. My favorite is that you can tailor each project view to what works best. The ability to provide reviews in app and establish approval flows is awesome. Additionally, the template design is robust and allows you to quickly form a project plan.

Cons

I would like a better alert system and the ability to leave alerts unread - once you read them, they disappear from the main notification tab. I would like more high-level reporting that we can bubble up for executive review.

Hannah H.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Hive is a much needed resource during remote work and continues to improve!

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Project management and in-house (only) team communication.

Pros

The chat function is HUGE for keeping our team connected while we are apart. We use it every day. I also love the "my actions" view because it keeps everything organized for me and I can stay on track and on time while juggling many different projects at once. Hive takes our feedback and makes improvements in a timely manner. I would recommend this product and it will just keep getting better!

Cons

I think "my actions" should automatically sort by the next due date at the top (the closest date). Instead, you have to manually adjust the order of tasks by due date, which is a little tedious. Maybe you could offer both options? Manual and auto.

Raghav B.

It is a great tool

Reviewed on 2017/11/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Events are gathered in HDFS by flume and needs to be processed into parquet files for fast querying. The input data contains variable attributes in the json payload as each customer could define custom attributes.

It is part of the ETL pipeline, where hive jobs read json data and generates parquet files that would be queried using impala/spark. Using views, each customer queries only the relevant data

Pros

The syntax of hive! Its almost SQL so its easy to use.
External tables, partitions, buckets, UDFs all the features I like to use with hive. ORC data format occupying lesser space and retrieving the data much faster.
The Hive is intended to simplify your experience with Hadoop and allows developers and business analyst apply their SQL knowledge to query data, build reports, build etl etc.
To be able to run map reduce jobs using json parsing and generate dynamic partitions in parquet file format.

Cons

Hive is comparatively slower than its competitors. Its easy to use but that comes with the cost of processing, If you are using it just for batch processing then hive is well and fine. It also does not have as rich of a scripting language.

Industry: Design

Productive Tool for Teams

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

Hive provides a clear and easy way to create, assign, handle, and complete tasks of most types. It allows sub-actions for tasks that provide a granular approach to complex tasks which allows for easy tracking. I love the fact you can 'drag and drop' attachments right into tasks. We found it very helpful to assign specific sub-actions to certain members on the team.
The message center on the left is great feature to have; allows you to deal with clients as external users.

Cons

I don't like how the message center on the left can't be adjusted to resize the portion used for 'groups' vs. 'direct messages'.

Matthew W.
Industry: Research

Great, easy to use project management - but also a great team behind it.

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

We use hive to manage multiple projects with teammates and consultants. This has been a great software to do it and we have been exceptionally happy with both the platform and the customer service behind it.

Pros

It is very easy to use the software and get it up and running. But the customer service team was exceptionally helpful when we had questions.

Cons

The integrations weren't flawless at first, but it is improving.

We use this at work as our main project management and task management software.

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Better communication and an easier time knowing where others are at on projects.

Pros

It's pretty simple to use for the most part. It's nice to be able to create teams based around projects and see where everyone is at. It's easy to see what tasks you have and assign a date for completion.

Cons

Can be a little unintuitive at times, for instance, where you need to click a certain area to add people to a project took a bit to figure out. People will often make the mistake of adding the whole office to a project or task as well.

Gillian R.

So far, so good!

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

trying to get away from to-do lists being emailed out by PM, but so far, still needs to be done. But in 6 months we may feel totally different!

Pros

I like the visuals and the multiple ways to move between projects etc

Cons

don't love the status functionality, and haven't figured out best practices on a lot of things yet.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Maria jose M.
Industry: Furniture

Great interacting-follow up tool

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

I love everything i can be able to do and measure at any time on my phone, ipad and laptop, so i love to give a follow up wherever i am.

Pros

I love that everyone at the office can interact and follow up their on-going activities and everyone can see on real time what's going on. I really like that I can also measure everybody's productivity and accomplishments. I love all the tools and views that you can get to see the information that's on the table at the time.

Cons

I think what i liked the least was that i had it maybe a little bit rough to get started with, but once i got to understand it, this is a tool that has a great potencial. The app is weak i guess, since a work a lot on my phone and ipad i think the app has a lot of opportunities to work with.

Joe M.
Industry: Higher Education

Hive for PM

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

Overall great product, the interface could use some changes to allow quicker access.

Pros

Hive is great for memorializing steps in project management and appropriating tasks.

Cons

Creating timelines and amending them can be difficult.

Amelia N.
Industry: Real Estate

Great Centralized Work Location

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Pros

I love the ability to see the status of all the requests I've made in one place, and that they are color coded for the different kinds of requests.

Cons

I wish there was a way to put myself on all of my team's requests (we are a 5 person team in a company of 400+ people) so that they don't slip through the cracks!

Great tool for those getting into Program Management

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

Pros

Hive offers teams a very robust functionality as compared to competitor products. The ability to have reporting, Gantt charts and stacking projects is key in our eyes.

Cons

Onboarding and adoption was a little slower than I would have preferred internally, with the common feedback being its not as easy to navigate or use as some other options on the marketing.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Charles J.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Thoughts after 9 months of use

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Pros

I enjoy how integrated the platform can be with other software such as Microsoft office, and the customer service is pretty good

Cons

The lack of customization in some cases it can be a hassle. You may have to rely on internal help to accomplish what you are trying to set up

Pablo L.
Company size: Self Employed

Great team and time management online

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Pros

What I liked the most is the ability to toggle into different views while working from any project window. This allows to see the project (and teammates) into different modes like: spreadsheet, kanban board, etc.

Cons

Being a freelance worker I did not found it suitable for a one man team. It has to be used by a group of people in order to fully get the opportunities and solutions that Hive offers.

Curtis N.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Happy Hive user and trainer

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Positive. Easy to use, good collaboration tool

Pros

Fantastic - functions as a facebook wall with flexible product planning

Cons

Needs more flexibility with permissions. E.g. 'anyone' can edit this project. Needs appointed admins on projects.

Jan G.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Simplest way to run your team

Reviewed on 2016/09/14

Great tool, use it to run my marketing team across US & Canada. Been happy with it for 6 months or so now, and they add improvements quite regularly.

Pros

Super simple, pretty much has all the tools we need.

Cons

Want to see them add Gantt charts.

Amira M.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Hive Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

Supplies easy, quick and fun communication with coworkers and teams.

Cons

Sometimes the system bugs out and won't show messages you send or are typing.

Jacob S.

Project management simplified

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

Pros

We used to use slack for everything. Hive makes categorizing simple, follow up simple, project implementation simple and overall we have found it to better fit our needs since stumbling upon it.

Cons

I have found that this is a very crowded space to be a business in, however hive has taken the niche from each competitor and found its own niche. I would say that is key for them. Keep thinking big, don’t simplify the product too much, it’s so so useful.

Tom W.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Good Software but can be glitchy

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

I think the software is good, but the constant glitches and it not functioning correctly on mobile makes it hard to recommend. Also, i have noticed that when people send images on chats or groups they never load, so i have to close the software down and reload it to be able to see them, which is a pain.

Pros

The ease of use, the functionality it has and the ability to talk to the team within the same app.

Cons

The chat constantly messed up and either didn't show messages or just didn't notify me. On mobile, I wouldn't receive any notifications at all, instead only got these (sometimes) on the desktop version, which was a huge pain when i was away from the office.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Amanda M.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Trying to get my team to switch over!

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/09/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This software is really easy to use and has many functions--a hard balance to strike in project management softwares.

Cons

The compatibility with g-suite, so if your company is outlook based, there is an additional hurdle.

Karla S.
Industry: Computer Games
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Hive Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

It has some great pros but needs to develop some areas further. Reporting, issues, risks logs.

Pros

The software is mostly intuitive and easy to start using.

Cons

The risk/issues logging is not great. Reporting could be improved.