Hive

The world's first democratically built software platform.

Craig
Craig
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Great Warehouse Tool - Easy to Query and Integrate

Reviewed on 2022/06/04

Hive was my first foray into data warehouse tools (other than a super clunky, outdated tool for pulling limited SQL results from a single table at a time). The ability to query across multiple tables, to quickly examine schemas, and to track your previous queries and results was huge in enabling us to experiment with new ways of scripting back-end processes with immediate, hands-on results. It was also able to plug directly into other areas of our workflow without much issue - we pulled data directly from Hive into Tableau, and we queried data from Hive in R to perform QA.

Pros

Being able to track previous queries and results goes a long way when experimenting with different ways to pull what you want. It's particularly helpful when you're constantly making changes and want to potentially revert to versions that worked. Integrations with tools such as RStudio or Tableau are also relatively easy, making it super convenient to load data directly into dashboards or scripts without worrying about extra tools or ETL processes.

Cons

Takes a little more work to set up compared to an all-in-one solution (such as AWS, where the various tools are all in a single platform).

Response from Hive Technology

Thank you for the great review, Craig! We are so glad to hear Hive helps your team stay organized. Cheers!

Lindsey

Good and Bad, but Mostly Good

Reviewed on 2020/11/23

Overall, Hive works for our Marketing team and customer service is exceptional (especially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]).

The biggest frustration is that we tested a few systems and chose Hive because it combined messaging, we liked the look of it, and the ability to link external apps if desired. The ultimate reason we chose Hive, though, was because when tested, projects with a date range for a due date showed up at the beginning of that range, which is exactly what we needed and no other system did that. However, a month after we switched and installed, that changed and they now show on the due date which causes issues (and extra messages and meetings) for our team to make sure stuff is being worked on proactively.

We've had a large amount of issues with recurring actions and auto-snooze as mentioned above and I've reported it several times.

We've had Hive around 8-10 months and just went through redoing our entire workspace to hopefully make it more streamlined due to the systemic issues we were having. With that, I'll say there are several ways to utilize Hive and you can find what fits for your team.

So overall, good and bad - mostly good.

Pros

For our team of five, the most beneficial features are: ability to assign two people, ability to color code projects, ability to track time within a task, ability to add approvers within a task, direct and group messaging within the app (replaced separate use of Slack), Notes and ability to share them, and the "status" and "table" views for projects.

Cons

For our team, we have had repeat issues with recurring actions not functioning correctly, specifically with auto-snoozing actions and sub actions (even past their due date) as well as due dates when we try to update recurring actions. We shifted our set-up and re-entered all actions at one point to try and workaround the need for a recurring action. We also prefer for actions with a date range for a due date to show up as of the start of that date range so we know how many days we have to work on something, however they show up the day it's due.

FunctionFox, VOGSY, monday.com and Ravetree

Reasons for Choosing Hive

The setup within Asana wasn't beneficial for everyone and due dates were being missed. We also needed a system we could communicate within rather than the team communicating through Slack and Email outside of the system. We liked that Hive had different ways to view projects so each team member can choose what works for them and that communication could be integrated.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Hive

I explained this in the overall feedback section. :)

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your review, Lindsey! We're happy to hear that Hive is a helpful tool for your marketing team. Your feedback is also appreciated, and will be passed along to the product team here at Hive. Cheers!

Jeff
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Close But Not Quite

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Timely response to chat logs. It would be a great product if the e-mail integration actually added value to ones workflow.

Pros

Intuitive, easy to navigate. Many useful features you would expect with a project collaboration tool.

Cons

Gmail attachments make into to the HIVE e-mail interface only about half of the time. Of those that do make it into HIVE about 65% must be downloaded rather than simply read. Hive will read a g.doc via Drive but all other attachments must be downloaded. If you create an action from the Hive e-mail and want to work on the documents that are attached, you would have to download and reattach the the documents to the action card. That renders HIVE e-mail integration about useless if you get a lot of e-mails with attachments. For me Hive is a no go for that reason. But, also because only half of the attachments even make into Hive to begin with.

monday.com and Asana

?? I switched.

I am not choosing Hive.
Morgan
  • Industry: Music

Great for Project Management and Planning

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

I have been able to create and implement my goals and achieve my deadlines successfully.

Pros

I'm a self-employed individual user. I found Hive in a search for a software that could be easily used by individual to manage deadlines, projects, and future goal planning all on one platform, with interweaving timeline features. Most softwares don't accommodate individual users, but Hive does!

Cons

No, Hive is very easy to use and has helped me organize my business very well.

Trello, Kanban Tool, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Not enough integrative/robust organizational features

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Only one for paid single user with features like integrative calendar etc!

Response from Hive Technology

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your kind words, we're glad you're enjoying your Hive experience. If you ever need anything from the Hive team, please reach out to [email protected].

Best,
The Hive Team

Lindsey
  • Industry: Accounting

We love Hive!

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Hive has allowed us to seamlessly connect, communication, collaborate between our team members, while being organized and efficient.

Pros

This software has helped us streamline our operations - allowing our team of designers and project managers to communicate and work on projects collaboratively and seamlessly. It helps us all be on the same page and ensures that we get our projects done on time.

Cons

We have no cons to report. Any issues we have with the software are related to organization and user set up. For example, if one doesn't check their "flagged items" daily, then they back up, which is a problem but it's on the user.

Smartsheet

Reasons for Choosing Hive

Kanbanize was not meeting our needs. Hive on the other hand exceeds expectations.

Businessmap

Reasons for Switching to Hive

Hive was the best option for our needs.
Nina

Hive is a Complete Gamechanger!

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Overall, Hive has been a game changer for us. We haven't had a project management or project planning tool at all since I have started at my company and having this now has been so helpful. The ease of use and the user friendly interface has made the adoption process smooth and collaboration has seemed to soar so far.

Pros

What I love most about Hive is the number of options you have to make the project plan work for you. In my organization, we have a variety of different project types and sometimes one size does not fit all. We have the option now to plan our projects out based on the type of tasks/teams that are assigned and and we can find something that fits for each one. It's also been so incredibly helpful to have a variety of different views so we can share them with our clients and it makes updating projects so much easier when a milestone shifts or something like that. The integrations also make it extremely helpful for us to share projects across different departments.

Cons

One of the only cons I have seen so far is the Jira integration. We have a software team that operates solely through Jira and while that works for them, we've been trying to bridge the gap between Jira and Hive so that we can work efficiently. I just wish that the integration with Jira was a little more robust, however, it's not something that will make things super difficult for us and would just be a nice to have!

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Hive

It had more options/features that we wanted and needed.
Kathleen
  • Industry: Insurance

Best Task Management System Ever Created

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

As a Health benefits office, this program makes every task we do easy to complete and with the utmost efficiency that the task is absolutely done or what needs to be done to complete it.

Pros

I love how simple it is to create the task cards and customize them any way necessary.

Cons

Once something is deleted such as a comment or a picture it is permanently deleted.

Jason
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Hive is the Most Versatile Task-Management Tool I've Ever Used

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I love using Hive. I have been demonstrably more productive at scheduling out my time and seeing what's on my plate. I love it so much that I've been paying for it out of pocket for about nine months (as of this writing) because my company has yet to approve paying for it (just for budget reasons).

Pros

Hive is versatile, customizable, and easy to use to track the completion of projects and tasks. The simple fact that you can instantly convert a project from Kanban style to a calendar view is incredible.

Cons

The arrangement of the projects at the top isn't ideal.

Eddie

Versatile and solid UX platform

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

It's been great

It's been great

Pros

There are many platforms for organization and everyone has many different types of processes. With Hive we managed employer partnerships, customers, and development items all in a single application.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is an actual negative, but I wish it was cheaper

HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Choosing Hive

format for moving and organizing tasks across stages made more sense visually the way it can be done in Hive.

Asana
Tracy
  • Industry: Entertainment

Flexible, intuitive & versatile scheduling program

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

I've had a great experience thus far. Customer service has been available for simple questions, and online tutorials with the account manager really made the difference. We tested a few different options for centralizing our data and Hive was the winner for us.

Pros

It's great to have a centralized space to manage all the company projects and view them in a single, customizable timeline. It's easy to amend as things inevitably shift. I started with the free trial to test out its features and was able to do the initial setup. The tools and layout are intuitive for those who build schedules and budgets.

Cons

Initial set up does take some time as you build the database and various templates. Customization requires some knowledge of the plug-ins.

monday.com and farmerswife

Reasons for Choosing Hive

As a department we wanted a centralized space for all projects to live in order to get a global view. Looking to take it company-wide for a test run in the next year.

Reasons for Switching to Hive

For the scope of our projects, this was robust enough to provide all the tools we needed, but less complicated than some of the alternatives.

Response from Hive Technology

Thanks for your review, Tracy! We're happy to hear that Hive helps you keep your projects in a centralized space and that the tool is intuitive to use. Thanks for being a part of the Hive team!

Darren
  • Industry: Entertainment

Hive user

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Overall it has been pretty good. I like that the software generally is very fast and responsive. The only area which is sluggish is the notes section which is a shame honestly because generally I'd want to see notes open up quickly if Im not prepared to start jotting things down on an impromptu call.

Pros

I like the my actions section the most. It allows me to just quickly note down actions rapidly and then

Cons

I think the task view could be reorganized a bit with regards to the UI/UX. It can be difficult to find things, and I'd like to see comments to be more prominent rather than at the bottom. I think github issues has a great layout that makes the conversations easier but still having an organized layout of options on the right.

ZenHub, Jira, Airtable, Trello, Basecamp, monday.com and Wrike

Reasons for Switching to Hive

It has all the features we need and the functionality feels well designed to me. I like the ability to nest projects which i did not see in other projects. Also the ability to swap different layouts in a project seems to work better than others.
Michelle
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Overall good, can tell quirks are getting worked out as the product grows and evolves.

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

Overall it has been good. We have watched the program evolve and have definitely noticed improvements in ease of use and functionality. Several questions/ functional issues that I have had and expressed through surveys and chats have been modified/corrected, so it's good to see that the company is actually paying attention to how people are using it.

Pros

-Multiple methods of tracking and organizing projects.
-Easy for multiple people to see what needs to be done on a project
-timelines make is easy to see where a project is going
-chats make it easy to keep shared notes available to everybody
-The time tracking feature is a nice addition. We are still getting the hang of using it effectively, but I think it is a good addition.

Cons

-Definitely don't like the new blue expansion boxes in the Gnatt view. Too easy to rename/delete something
-Can't see my notes on Hive mobile.
-Wish the green "complete" mark bubbles could change color depending on what the status of an item is.
-I don't understand why the subactions of a phase don't stay condensed/expanded as I left them, instead of randomly expanding/condensing upon close & reopen of a project.
-Wish there was an option of deleting all the subactions when a phase is deleted, instead of having them appear in a different phase then have to delete each one manually, individually.
-I'm not sure if I'm missing an option, or if there is a bug, but it seems like dependencies don't always make the things they are attached to, move together. Maybe I just need a more through explanation of how the feature works.

Jeff

A Great Tool For An Old Dog Who's Still Learning New Tricks

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

All jobs are run through Hive so we solve all our team productivity, scheduling and asset sharing (not final assets but briefs, notes, schedules, background documents, comps, etc) through the tool. We do not currently use the tool for client interaction, sharing or as an approval mechanism although we would like to.

Pros

I very much like the ablility to integrate IM, email and the productivity capabilities into one tool. It's a fantastic way to keep a 360-degree record of every job.

Cons

I do find that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me. I've been in this business for a long time but have always relied on others in supporting roles like traffic and production. Working for a small company where I am now responsible for everything from strategy to implementation and project management is a big challenge in and of itself. But learning the software on top of that does take time. It's not necessarily intuitive for someone like me that hasn't used other productivity software. Finding help and instructional videos to help me learn the basics and progress is somewhat difficult. I find myself spending lots of time sifting through the blog, doing Google and YouTube searches and reaching out through he tool's chat capability (often times it takes several hours to get a response). I wish there was a channel with all the videos that were well organized into a series of tutorials that would get you up and running quickly. I do a lot of trial and error and "learn by doing" on the platform. Again, because I'm a newbie, I suspect that would be the same no matter which tool I was using and probably isn't an issue for my younger, software native, brethren.

Bill
  • Industry: Information Services

Quality product with an excellent team behind it

Reviewed on 2023/09/29

Hive has been an excellent partner for us and our clients.

Hive has been an excellent partner for us and our clients.

Pros

We have been partnered with Hive as a reseller for about a decade. We have multiple clients that use the Hive product and it has always been a reliable product. When questions come up or help is needed, the Hive team is always very easy to access and provided excellent and fast support. The quality of the analytics that are collected in the Hive platform are excellent and easy to dig into to find fine details. Overall, excellent product, excellent team of people behind the product.

Cons

Hive collects a great deal of performance metrics from end users. This data is very valuable and it can take a little bit to learn the different ways to slide and dice the data - that said, after a couple of hours spent digging into the data is about all it takes and that couple of hours is a VERY worth while investment and given the utility of the information available well worth the time.

Chantal
  • Industry: Accounting

Happy Hivers

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

As a virtual accounting team, we are using Hive not only to document our full range of workflow processes and procedures, but also as an audit trail. Hive keeps us on task and on point with client commitments, and has helped us collaborate with each other more effectively. Internal emails are almost non-existent now w/ the Hive messaging and commenting tools. We looked at all the options out there and were impressed with how Hive seems to bring the best of each project management platform to bear. It has been a gamechanger for us.

Pros

Love the clean, bright interface, the options for data/project organization and visual representation, and stellar customer support - especially during onboarding. Hive messaging is also really slick (we no longer use Slack) and the platform's Giphy integration makes for some fun times for our virtual team.

Cons

There are some quirks which we have discussed at length with the development team - most notably the inability to create dependent tasks within project actions that recur. We hear they are working on it, though. And our direct contact with support is a main reason we love Hive.

Melvin
Melvin

Great for productivity and task tracking at mass

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Overall, Hive was a great addition to the team. We used to do daily catchups with the stakeholders, which honestly wasted a lot of time in total for the whole team. With Hive, not only are we able to streamline work, it is also accountable and saves times by reducing needs for constant catchups on a daily basis. Anytime a stakeholder needs an idea of where the project is going, all that needs to be done is to login to Hive.

Pros

Easy to use, many different views and ways to personalize the UI to suit each person's needs.
Notifications are great to also help track tasks and ensure completion of tasks amongst the team is done well.

Hive is great for small teams with large, repetitive tasks that needs to be tracked on multiple steps, which is what exactly my team has been using it for. All in all good experience, has helped cut down the need or daily catchups as all stakeholders can easily see project status and update project details quickly as well

Cons

No way to track version history.
We have a rouge person who keeps randomly deleting our templates in the organisation. Hive has no way to track things like these however.

Also, I have used other project management softwares, and a lack of a desktop app or a addon (meaning you have to always open a tab to get the notifications) is a bit of a bummer

Ashley
  • Industry: Research

Great way to organize your team & work flow!

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

Veyr good. It works perfectly for us as a small firm working priarily remotely.

Veyr good. It works perfectly for us as a small firm working priarily remotely.

Pros

Hive is a great software for organizing our team's time, projects and work flow. Our team works remotely, and this tool really helps us to connect with one another and coordinate our efforts. As an administrator, I am able to easily monitor projects to ensure we are on time and budget (using the time tracking estimates), and my team's time to ensure our resources have enough but not too much work. It also allows us to measure our productivity and adjust our time and budget estimates for future projects.

Cons

It was a bi of a learning curve, so although ease of use now is okay I think this part could be enhanced. We are unable to send emails from hive using alias', which is difficult because I use one for my firm (many small business do) and makes the email feature unusable for us and there should be an option so that only administrators can see time of other employees. This is for us to monitor and it is inappropriate for other employees to see, as they do not necessarily know the circumstances for another staff which may be confidential.

Jesse

Hive for in-house design & marketing team

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It;'s been pretty much exactly what I wanted, and has worked as well as I could have hoped for. It has helped us greatly reduce the time it was taking us to input data from design requests, and it helps us stay on track with our large volume of active projects.

Pros

First off, it's the best priced option I found in my research. It's way below other services. I was happy to find that the interface and functionality did not suffer due to the low price tag. The platform is pretty much ideal for our purposes, design request forms, job traffic, and even long term strategic organization. Customer support is good, generally quick responses and help.

Cons

A few minor things here and there, like not being able to delete custom fields that I created. I feel like I looked pretty thoroughly for a way to delete them and didn't find it, but I also have not spoken to customer support, which i'm sure could help. Some trouble adding users at first, invite email took a while to get to teh person.

Jon

Amazing Collaborative Project Management Tool

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

Overall, really like this software for our larger and more complex projects. We have seen an increase in collaboration and information sharing, and a decrease in missed deadlines, confusion, and forgotten tasks. The features are helpful and help users to gain deeper insights into the project. You cna csutomize the interface to suit your needs. HIghly recommend this for any team looking for assistance and a platform to work together. Great Software!

Pros

This software not only helps to develop collaboration, but also encourages it with its ease of use and features. We use the software across our company to assist with developing workflows for our multistep projects. We can map out our steps, objectives and responsibilities. The multiple view options helps us to look at progress from different perspectives and gauge where we are.

Cons

Can take some time to get used to and set up. Does require a lot of assistance when introducing the software to beginner users. Doesnt take long after the first few tries.

Response from Hive Technology

Thank you for this great review, Jon! We are thrilled to know that Hive is helping your team run complex projects with features that are not only useful, but also intuitive. As part of the Hive community, we'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts about how we can build Hive together. Visit our Canny page to let us know what you'd like to see in Hive next!

Prabhdeep
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Hive Review

Reviewed on 2017/11/17

Pros

It's really customizable. You can view the same project in a lot of different ways. It also great that you have a bunch of separate projects, but can view them all together with summary view. There are just so many options that it really fits the needs of my whole team.

Cons

I wish there were more integrations, but I think they are working on adding more. Also, I would love if they could add time tracking, but besides that there isn't too much I dislike. I had some trouble figuring out the new forms feature, but the customer support team was really helpful in getting that resolved.

Hannah

Hive is a much needed resource during remote work and continues to improve!

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Project management and in-house (only) team communication.

Project management and in-house (only) team communication.

Pros

The chat function is HUGE for keeping our team connected while we are apart. We use it every day. I also love the "my actions" view because it keeps everything organized for me and I can stay on track and on time while juggling many different projects at once. Hive takes our feedback and makes improvements in a timely manner. I would recommend this product and it will just keep getting better!

Cons

I think "my actions" should automatically sort by the next due date at the top (the closest date). Instead, you have to manually adjust the order of tasks by due date, which is a little tedious. Maybe you could offer both options? Manual and auto.

Carolina
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great application for managing multiple projects

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I'm able to tell the clients exactly in what stage their project is in a few clicks. No task is or project is left behind!

Pros

How easy it is to see the progress, or lack, of progress of a project. The analytics part is also very helpful especially the time spend on different task.

Cons

The phone version is slow. I would like to be log in in my account instead of having to log on all the time.

Anmol
Anmol
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Efficient Task Management, Time Tracking for Businesses

Reviewed on 2023/02/18

Pros

I've used Hive for managing some of my personal projects. I've used templates, which can be customized, and helped me in creating detailed project plans & workflows. Also timetracking on tasks, projects is a feature I used greatly.

Cons

The cost was on a higher side for a small B2B SAAS startup. Also I've felt the UI and system to be a bit complicated. There was a steep learning curve to learn things I believe, which I didn't attempted at that time.

Microsoft OneNote, monday.com and ClickUp

Nuclino, Slite and nTask
Dave
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers

First Time User

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

One of the first steps in the proposal process for sales leads is to complete an opportunity form which provides me with the details that I will need to begin developing the proposal document. The Hive application has provided me with an easy option for using the form function to create an opportunity form. The application provides me with a notification when this form is completed. After viewing the form I am able to pull the information I need and then attach this form and information to an existing or new project. Thus begins the proposal process. As a new user I am just beginning to understand all of the application's functionality, but with this first step in the process I am beginning to see how Hive will create a lot of efficiencies moving forward.

Pros

It's very user intuitive. As a new user I have been able to pick up and user the application rather quickly and with little training. I especially like the forms function as I have been able to reduce the amount of attachments I send via email by having other users complete required form information right in Hive and then attach this information directly to a project.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I do not like about the application.

best tool for management projects

Reviewed on 2022/06/24

my overall experience with the hive is that it is profitable

my overall experience with the hive is that it is profitable

Pros

What I like about this tool is that it helps to see the weaknesses of our company in terms of management and helps us to improve them.

Cons

what I would like to see again in hive is that the mobile application is full of few features compared to the computer one

Response from Hive Technology

Thank you for the review! It's awesome to hear how Hive helps your team. Cheers!