Boardable Reviews

Boardable

Board engagement software for nonprofits.

4.7/5 (31 reviews)
Kathleen M.

Revolutionize your Board Meetings with Boardable!

Reviewed on 2019/06/07

We are the business office for an Episcopal bishop. Boardable has revolutionized how we communicate with our governance bodies. All board members are volunteers. Many have full time careers. They appreciate the ease of use and efficiency of Boardable. No paper mailings, no postage , no worries about forgetting to bring your meeting packet, the ability to reference and view documents from a previous meeting, creating task lists and conducting polls for an unexpected urgent meeting have been invaluable to us. The majority of our boards fall under my purview as the bishop's executive assistant. I can't say enough about the amount of time it saves me managing all these various groups.

Pros

Boardable is an efficient, organized, and effective tool to manage governance bodies. Currently we are managing six separate governance bodies and expect to add several more soon. Best features include agenda builder, ability to write your personal notes and reminders in the agenda for your eyes only, meeting minute template, attaching documents directly in the agenda, pooling feature, and, most importantly, it serve as an excellent document repository. We've established "best practices" for administrators and end users. It has been well received and board members appreciate it's ease of use and efficiency. Tech support is extremely helpful and very responsive. The Boardable team is always open to our idea and suggestions.

Cons

One limitation for our use is the inability to have different titles and terms when a person serves on multiple boards. Having the ability to format our own documents would be helpful as well.

Crystal G.

This is a great tool that eliminates the need to send lots of documents to Board members.

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

The software reduced communications, hunting for documents and collecting Board votes for online voting. I like it a lot.

Pros

The Boardable platform is great for several things.
1. It eliminates the need to send emails and attachments to Board members in the hopes that they will get them all and read them all before the meeting.
2. It cuts down on problems a lot of Board members face at larger corporations with blocked file sharing tools like Box, Dropbox or Google Drive. This isn't an issue because it's out on a server.
3. It cuts down on so much wasted paper from Board packets. Rather than print things out and then toss them after each meeting, Board members can now be responsible for reading and accessing their own Board information.
4. It keeps a record of Board attendance, Board votes and Board meeting documents, all sorted nicely.
5. You can do online voting between meetings - known as polls.

Cons

I think there are some opportunities for some small design changes, and some opportunities to add in other tools that would make sense like screenshare, conferencing, committee communications, etc. Having said that, I like this tool enough that I have recommended it to other non-profits in the area, and do speak highly of it frequently. I think it's got legs to be something pretty great with a few more iterations.

Darcy L.

Game-changing for Boards

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

Centralized communication has been key to moving our organization forward. It's helped with accountability and tracking, and allows us to communicate between board meetings. Polls are great for gathering feedback, etc.

Cons

I want to be able to use Boardable for my committee functions as well. We have started to do this, but find the feature set is limited. I believe this could be fixed by changing the way we look at member, observer, and administrator. In other words, I want my committee members to have member-level access but only within their defined group. As it stands, committee members can't assign meetings, upload files, etc. because they are limited by their user status. Also, file storage can get hairy. There should be more instructions on storing files, attaching them to meetings, access, etc.

Carol S.

It has streamlined our board communications and document storage in one convenient place for board meetings and committee communications.

Reviewed on 2018/03/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I love this software; it has eliminated the need for dozens of emails before a board meeting. It is only a little over a year old, so they are still perfecting it and are very responsive to questions, requests for help and are open to users requests for changes in the way they do things.

Pros

The ability to announce meetings of any kind, attach all documents in the board packet to the meeting and giving the board the ability to respond if they will attend.
Can create multiple committee folders in the Document Center
Can limit accessibility to some folders
Has a People Directory for your board and can add photos and personal information
Can download from your hard drive, Dropbox. Google Drive, and One Drive to a meeting
Unlimited storage capacity

Cons

So far can attach only one document at a time; they are changing this to multiple document attachments
If a document is attached to a meeting and you want to store it in the Document Center, you can't. You have to attach it again.
Can only download from your computer to the Document Center, not the cloud drives.
Limit of 20 users.

Tiffany B.

Simple and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

I love how Boardable has everything we need in one place. I really like using the scheduler to find a meeting date instead of having to us another program to do that. They are constantly evolving and building enhancements to the software making it very easy to use and intuitive. I like the security features that allow each group to only see information pertaining to their particular group. This helps to ensure that sensitive documents are secure within the software. Members of our board love how the software is self-explanatory and easy to navigate through. The transition from our old software was very well received because of this.

Cons

There are still a couple enhancements that I would like to see, but their customer service team is very open to hearing new ideas that will ultimately help everyone using the software.

Boardable as a group connection tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

I've been consulting with a board that is trying to become more board-driven. This tool has been very useful for setting up responsibilities and tracking meeting dates/times. It's helped tremendously with the board's monthly phone conference; having all the documents in one place attached to the right spot on the agenda is great! Sometimes it's a struggle to get people to complete surveys, but that happens with any board. I have sometimes had trouble finding features on the site. I will say customer service has been quite responsive.

Pros

It's a good central place to keep information. It's nice to see who has RSVPed or filled out a survey about setting a meeting date without scanning through emails.

Cons

Some parts of the website are not intuitive. Board members who are not computer savvy tend to stay off the site, and some who are skilled still can't easily find all the features.

Response from Board Management Software

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback on the usability. We are about to launch our iOS and Android apps and we hope that they help address any usability issues that your board members might have. And please keep the feedback coming, we regularly update Boardable and appreciate any and all feedback. - Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

7.0/10
Lucia D.

Boardable software is so easy to work with for our users and volunteers. It's priced right for NFPs.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Saves a lot of time for our team members in preparing meeting packets and sending communications for our Board and volunteer committees. Boardable helps to keep us better organized and is easy for our volunteers to interface with our organization and with each other.

Pros

Boardable team is very open to our suggestions for enhancements. They have been a great partner to work with to improve functionality of the app.

We explored many different volunteer management software systems but most were not affordable since we operate on a very tight budget. Boardable was priced right and is saving our team lots of time that used to be spent on a manual process preparing for Board and committee meetings.

Since starting with Boardable we have discovered a few other programs that easily benefit from using Boardable's functionality. Boardable is a great tool to use for collaboration with external partners.

Andrew B.

Boardable has made organizing board activity incredibly successful.

Reviewed on 2018/06/12

Easier board management and consolidation of processes.

Pros

Lots of features that are incredibly functional. Calendar is very clean and easy to use specifically when it comes to checking who has replied yes to the meeting invite. Polls are helpful when tracking board decisions. File management is incredibly useful when giving access to Board members to past files and minutes. We also upload audio files of past meetings making it incredibly easy for members that miss meetings to stay engaged. Easy to control members and invites easily adding groups to calendar invites and sharing files.

Cons

With most upstart tech companies they are building the software through customer recommendations. Which means the product is a work in progress and does not have total functionality right now. They are doing a great job updating and adding features but it takes time.

Zachary A.

Boardable is such a user-friendly software. It really helps organize and streamline communication.

Reviewed on 2017/09/20

Pros

Boardable allows members to communicate in between meetings, which means that work isn't solely done at meetings, but also in the interim. Everything is only one or two clicks away and new users are able to access all the content they need through the easily navigable system. Instead of clogging up your inbox, communication is archived through the Boardable platform. Working with other board management software, Boardable is by far the most user-friendly and attractive to use.

Cons

Because Boardable hasn't even been up and running for even a year, sometimes bugs occur. However, the Boardable team is always so quick and diligent about responding to feedback and improving their product to make it the most efficient, most impactful software for its clients.

Kate S.

Love having our Board documents, reports, minutes, attendance all organized in one place!

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Pros

It's brilliant to create a central place for all board members to have access to everything they need to be a successful and active part of any board. The platform also provide a great way for boards to communicate without drowning in the email ocean.

Cons

As a nonprofit, we are frugal with our well earned dollars. Although, I see great benefits to using Boardable, this is an added expense for our organization.

Albert F.

It's 4 AM in San Francisco, but work hours somewhere and the site seems to be down

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/04/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Very accessible, easy to use. Site has been up five of the last six times I've tried to access the in the last couple of weeks.

Cons

Website is inaccessible; appears to be down but no way to tell. Fortunately, the Board Meeting is not later today and will have time to update. Board meetings are probably pretty important for you too, so it would be good to check on uptime statistics, especially in the time zones where you work, before moving relying on this platform.

Response from Jeb

Albert, thank you for your feedback. We recently launched a new website and did have some downtime. Although we did not log any product (app.boardable.com) downtime, our marketing website (boardable.com), which has a link to login to the product, was down for some time during the launch. We notified Boardable account owners in advance of the possible disruption but it appears the communication that went out wasn't sufficient. As such, we have reviewed our advance communication process. Thank you for your user experience feedback; it's highly valuable to us as we grow and improve our processes. Thank you for being a Boardable customer and I appreciate your kind words about its ease of use. Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

5.0/10
Danielle S.

Boardable has greatly improved the way I work with my Board of Directors

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/01/29

The most impactful thing this software has allowed me to do is mobilize my board members more effectively to make faster and more well-informed decisions.

Pros

I love how easy it is to keep my core members informed. I also love that I can segment them based on committee's or initiatives to keep the 'lines clear' on only information pertinant to what they're involved in.

Cons

The company is still young; I would love to have better API integrations but I'm sure those are in the development pipeline.

Joe C.

Simple, affordable and does what it needs to without the high price point. Great for small boards.

Reviewed on 2017/12/20

Single online portal that is accessible to all our board members. Centralized storage and documentation center as well as discussion board. Integrated calendar and polls work well to keep all members connected in between meetings. And everything has permissions settings to allow/ disallow access to pretty much anything you like.

Pros

It's simplicity. Very easy to use and has a quick learning curve. Tech support has been very responsive to any questions or requests. Was able to get out working and all our board members online in less than 10 mins. They offer a free trial which makes this choice a no brainer.

Cons

It is a little limited on a few, just a few, features compared to some other really higher prices choices. But they are continuously making changes and adding upgraded features. This was the only reason I didn't give the features 5 stars as it wasn't the perfect solution (for our needs) , but hey, nothing is ever perfect. Extremely close though and wouldn't really consider this a con.

Gary V.

Using Boardable over the last few months has been a great improvement for us from paper handouts.

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Organization of board documents will be especially helpful during any transitions. Board members love having all their information in on place.

Pros

After researching several online board portals, we found Boardable to be the most economical for us. It has all the basic features we need.

Cons

All functions of the software work fine. We would really like to see the app for tablets and phones, a way for board members to make notes on documents as they review them. And the agenda in the meeting page, not as a separate document would be very handy.

Response from Board Management Software

Dear Gary, thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear Boardable has helped your board members move away from printed materials. You are in good company regarding wanting to see the agenda in the meeting page! We've heard this feedback from others and we're working to address this in an upcoming product release.

-Julie Heath, VP of Customer Success

Karissa H.

Easy to use, big impact on communications

Reviewed on 2017/09/29

Pros

It's offering a one stop resource for our 2 boards of directions and multiple committees. With a tiny staff of 4, this is a huge impact for us.

Cons

Honestly, the biggest hurdle is how much the software is still developing. As a start up, they are releasing updates often, on one hand, it's hard for me to keep up, but every step is making the software work more effectively too!

Shellie P.

We research several board portals and Boardable won out on best value for the money

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

We were able to go paperless for all board meetings and communications.

Pros

It is easy, not so complicated, so our board can intuitively log in and find what they need. We are a smaller non-profit and it has everything we need.

Cons

It may lack a couple of bells and whistles that some of the more sophisticated products have, but for the money it wins out BIG time.

Stephanie j. S.

Super user-friendly and cost effective

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Pros

Provides a secure environment for my Board Members to access documents and information. Love that we can do polls as well to determine a meeting quorum.

Cons

I don't get an email copy of a message I send to the group. I also don't like that I have to upload my documents in the document center before I can attach them to my meeting invitation.

Samantha J.

I use it as a board member of a small non profit

Reviewed on 2018/08/02

Pros

It keeps all of our information in the same place and links to our email. I like that the support staff can set our meetings in there and push them out to us via email and attach the meeting agendas

Cons

Not sure...I haven't found many. I guess I hate remembering so many passwords so signing in all the time kind of stinks.

Chris H.

This software has transformed how our board operates. And at a budget-friendly price point!

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Pros

Easy access to board specific comms and files. We've even used the polls feature to facilitate board voting.

Cons

The calendaring feature could be improved and from what I understand, it will be. For example, visibility into an organization-wide calendar of events above and beyond board meetings.

Robin P.

Great product. Getting even better with every new release.

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

Ease of communication with my volunteers

Pros

Ease of use. This is a simple way to communicate with your boards and committees - really any group of people you need to gather together for discussion!

Cons

The polling options need clarified a bit more - they are not as intuitive as the rest of the software is.

Tim T.

Easy set up. Having a few glitches

Reviewed on 2018/01/12

Pros

Easy to use and customize. I like that it links with other calendars but the link is not obvious to many users.

Cons

Support is weak. Staff have issues not being resolved. Set up for Board was easy but more than 30% did not recognize the need to complete and set up a password. resulted in multiple requests to complete

Response from Board Management Software

Hi Tim, thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback around support and log in issues. We are working this week to improve both of those experiences, look for updates soon. If you would like us to provide a demo of Boardable during a board meeting to answer questions and show all its functionality, we would be happy to set up screenshare for that. Thank you, Jeb Banner, CEO, Boardable

7.0/10
Dan K.

Very easy to use and navigate

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Having one place to send and receive messages and store documents for the entire Board to see. It beats using Outlook or Gmail to try and track messages and communications

Pros

I think the easy of use and being able to organize documents in a logical way. This is fairly flexible versus other programs that force you into their logic

Cons

Too many clicks. Seems like you have to click around to find things that should be opened in one click. It is difficult to tell if you have sent a message or posted a document that you want the rest of the Board to see. It would be nice if there was a data tag that said when and who the document was sent too.

Samantha H.

Great product, user friendly

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

So far, my experience has been great. I've only been using for a month, but I think it's a great product

Pros

Very user friendly! Easy to navigate and use.

Cons

I can't really think of anything I dislike.

Gregory T.

Boardable is a great to easily connect all of our board members in one central place.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/01/25

Pros

It centralizes all of our board minutes, documents, etc and allows us to get away from a long trail of email for communication. We also really like the voting and scheduling features.

Cons

It took a while to figure out to use the document adding feature. Once I got it, it is very simple but did take a few tries to get it worked out.

Julie C.

Boardable is easy to learn and use. Any questions I have are answered quickly.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

I appreciate the ease of use in keeping all documents organized and in determining who has access to them.

Pros

I like the straightforward, clean format which makes Boardable easy to use. Everything needed for a meeting is easily connected to that meeting and documents are easily filed after the meeting.

Cons

The only issue some of our users have with Boardable is the inability to make notations within a document. Also, as an administrator I would like to be able to rearrange documents in the Document Center.