GoodSync

Backup and synchronization with remote file access

4,5
4,2
4,4
4,3
Edward P.
Company size: Self Employed

GOOD sync is my favorite backup software!

Reviewed on 2019/10/30

The great benefit to this backup software to others that I have tried is the level of customization. I have my main personal files in a separate location and those are the most important to have backed up in multiple locations. As for the operating system files, I have used my personal file back up more often, as if I have a problem with a computer, I do a fresh install of the Operating system (NOT from backup), and I have my personal files already backed up separately to install on the new install.

Pros

First, GOODSYNC actually copies files faster than windows explorer. I use the program to automatically backup various files to multiple backup hard drives, including cloud drives. I have multiple jobs running, so I can back up certain sets of files to one drive, and others to another drive, all VERY customizable. I have separate storage folders that back up separately, and I also have jobs that backup entire hard drives -- but only files that have changed, so it doesn't have to start from scratch each time. These jobs run automatically, set by the built in scheduler. I also like the option for the program to send an email after each backup, confirming the back up, and alerting me if there are any errors.

Cons

Infrequently, there are errors that I can't understand. (The error reporting may be a bit more complex for my needs.). However, I don't see that as a limit to the software, but a limit for me as a non-expert user. Either way, I can see the file that wasn't copied and can filter and/or fix the program so it can be copied, or by-passed if necessary. Usually this happens with temp files that I don't actually need backed up. (There is also a filter to keep from copying these, but I haven't used it. That would probably solve my problem before I would have one.)

Easy to use product that gets the job done

Reviewed on 2018/03/05

saved us alot of time and actually worked better than expected for the doctor.

Pros

Using this product with the built in scheduler and it works very well now for several years. Implementation was simple as it does compare new to already existing files that you already have in the directories. I setup a simple task for the radiologist here and he was very happy with the way it synced up the data for him in both realtime and on a schedule. Overall I would recommend this product to anyone. Shows you a list of what was copied too that is quite nice.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be kind of complicated to setup. You have to think about the file extensions and how you want to setup the transfer and where it will reside. Takes some trial work to get things going sometimes that what I am saying.

David S.
Industry: Law Practice

Awful. Complete waste of money.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/08/23

I developed great experience with debugging and anger management. It inspired me to scout the market for other solutions, and it encouraged me to learn rsync as a substitute.

Pros

It's easy to delete. That's about the best thing I can say: it can be removed by simply dropping it in the trash.

Cons

I have used GoodSync on and off for several years. Here's my typical experience:

* I install the latest version of GoodSync.

* I encounter various intermittent errors.

* I delete GoodSync and use another solution.

Why do I keep going back? Because I paid for it, and I cling to the hope that they will eventually make it *minimally* effective. No dice. It remains as much garbage as it was when I purchased it.

Examples:

* Locks up while attempting to sync to a folder. Just becomes totally unresponsive. The process needs to be killed, and often the machine rebooted, to recover from the lockup.

* "Undefined Error: 0." Constantly. This is GoodSync's version of "An error occurred." Don't bother emailing GoodSync customer support - they don't know and won't help you.

* Sync jobs just fail, spontaneously, mid-sync. The sync is running perfectly, the volumes are both still available... and it abruptly stops.

* The network browser is overdesigned and overcomplicated. All you want do is to specify a URL, a username, and a password. Sometimes it accepts the settings. Sometimes it just retains the old settings, and barfs out random error messages.

I give up. They are never going to make this software to minimal usability. I have scoured all of my computer systems of this bloated trashware.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't waste your time, and don't give this developer money. You will regret every dime and every moment you spend on this garbage.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi David - We have escalated your support ticket and we have reached out in an attempt to resolve the issues listed in your feedback.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Joel L.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Very intelligent and feature rich syncing tool

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

Syncing files is huge these days and GoodSync has provided me a solution to sync files without storing files in public cloud storage. As well, for the files I do keep in public cloud storage, I can back them up. Long time user and big fan.

Pros

I feel safe syncing files with GoodSync because of the smart algorythms for comparing files. As well there are fail-safes built in (optional) that will backup files that are deleted. I have never needed them but it is good to know they are there. The software comes in handy all the time. It integrates with your cloud accounts to back them up and via their GoodSync Connect I can easily sync files over the Internet. I have used it for years and it has provided an easy solution to many types of problems.

Cons

The server version of GoodSync is high priced.

Charith R.
Industry: Shipbuilding
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best data synchronising tool for busy world

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

As an electrical engineer, I am very busy during work and after my works hours. Therefore sometimes I forgot to back up my important data or files. GoodSync is one of the software which helps me to continue my work very smoothly. Synchronizing and backup are very imported for my job because I deal with a lot of project-related documents and these documents are the most important part to increase the businesses of my shipbuilding company.

Pros

GoodSync has a user-friendly interface and it is very easy to used to file synchronizing and backup. Also, there are many tool end to end encryptions, real-time data transfer, block-level data transfer, and version history control besides synchronizing. It only synchronizing the latest files only and avoid data corruption during data transfer.

Cons

Sever license price is very high when compared with other licensing options. Sometimes for some types of file synchronizing speed is low.

Industry: Pharmaceuticals
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Perfect tool to selectively backup and sync data

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

GoodSync is one of the most complete solutions for selective backups and folder sync across local networks. It provide a classic 2 sides interface (sources > destinations) and a bunch of parameters and checks to perform file validation during reading-writing processes. Recommended as an alternative to cloud sync services within LAN.

Pros

Fine tuned tool for selective backups and folder sync
Several triggers can be set up
Impressively detailed time scheduling for periodic activities
Supports syncs and backups across network devices

Cons

Not for non experienced users
GUI is improvable
Maybe a wizard could help to make it more user-friendly

Instead of saving data on 2-3 places, I can sync different clouds, save spaces.

Reviewed on 2018/04/08

The software is great, but once I format my computer and reinstall it, it again asks for license and I've to contact customer support, but I am hopeful this will be resolved soon, and you'll link the license to my IP. It saves a lot of time for me. I love the easy to delete function that features with this software.

Pros

Everything that I need about my backup data. I desperately needed to sync it to cloud and back to my PC without any other software installation. GoodSync does it. I never delete the files here, just to be sure that I don't need them anymore. I can customize sync options to different hard drives and that's the part I love most.

Cons

It took me too long to set up as it is pretty slow in getting installed. Free utilities are also present, but with same features, and automatic exception handling can really cause problem sometimes. One of my files was deleted not to be found again :-(

Response from Siber Systems

We're very sorry to hear about your file. Regarding both the lost file and the setup time, please feel free to contact our support team if you haven't already. A representative is always more than happy to assist. Thank you! https://www.goodsync.com/php/gsss/main?lang=en

Industry: Information Technology & Services

GoodSync is a great way to implement a 3-2-1 backup solution.

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

GoodSync is a great file backup management application that makes it easy to backup my files.

Pros

GoodSync allows me to backup by computers to my NAS and to my Cloud Storage provider Backblaze without hassle. I can easily set it up for unattended backup and have email alerts sent in case of a problem. Also it works on Linux!

Cons

I don't have any issues with the software, but the settings could be a bit more descriptive to ensure I know what they do.

Industry: Internet

After extensively trying GoodSync and other similar syncing software, I have found the app to marry.

Reviewed on 2017/11/01

My stuff is in perfect sync and so are my backup drives!

Pros

I like its ease of use. Menu design, the option control is probably my favorite because I am very technical so I need the control over everything and all know what it's talking about.

Cons

I can't say there's anything that I don't like. It syncs FTP, Cloud, physical drives, I mean everything with speed an precision. I suppose it can have a more simplified user interface?

Ronald V.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Reliable File Syncing/Backup

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Backup, backup, backup. I use this to keep a redundant backup going between a NAS Drive and 2 external backup drives. The best software I have ever bought.

Pros

- Backup options
- Sync options
- Delayed sync/backup
- Sync, files, folders, external drives

Cons

I have yet to find anything bad to say about this software

Scott L.
Industry: Management Consulting

GoodSync is best backup software I've ever tried

Reviewed on 2020/01/03

I've tried a lot of tools for backing up to an external drive, and GoodSync is by far the best one I've used. Other backup software has been prone to errors (not acceptable for a backup tool!) or lock you into a backup format that only permits a full-blown restore of the whole disk. A full-blown restore might be okay if you created the backup yesterday and your original disk completely crashes today, but that's not how I intend to use it. I want to be able to retrieve just the files I want, without risking overwriting newer versions of the files on my original disk.

Pros

GoodSync does a great job for me of backing up to an external hard drive. The first backup of a large set of data (100GB or more) takes a while, but that is mostly about the transfer speed of your USB 3.0 port and computer. GoodSync reports progress accurately by showing percent complete, transfer speed in MB/second, and shows the list of files being transferred. Future backups to the same external drive go very quickly, because GoodSync first compares the original disk to the backup and only transfers the files that have changed. The user interface is straightforward. You set up each job as either a backup (one way transfer from original disk to a backup disk) or a sync (two way transfer, so that both disks have only the most up to date files.) The backup drive is searchable with Windows Explorer file and folder system, so you can retrieve only the files you need when you need them.

Cons

GoodSync gets a new version update frequently (weekly? monthly? I'm not sure) without making any noticeable changes. The software prompts me to update the version almost every time I use it, which is slightly annoying because updating to the new version takes a few minutes before I can actually run the backup. I recommend that GoodSync should either make it more obvious why the update should be worthwhile (security enhancement, debug, user interface enhancement, etc.) so users are more incentivized to perform the update, or otherwise hold off for a few months at a time between releasing updates that provide no apparent improvement.

Daniel B.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Solved our problem - reliably

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

We had a unique situation where remote locations in central/south america all needed to sync files securely into our repository for reporting purposes. Given that none of the entities involved would allow inbound connections, and that the data was 'sensitive' in nature, we needed a solution that would be reliable, automated, secure, etc. and that would 'phone home' on a regular schedule.
Problem solved.

Pros

Reliable - it is able to xfer files over the worst connections, and do so reliably and accurately. Never had any problems with corruption.
Flexible - we can configure just about any parameter needed to setup a bi-directional sync, or just a backup.
Easy - being able to select which files and folders, browse local and remote directories, etc. is all intuitive.

Cons

Rarely - but on 0ccasion, we would get a sync conflict that causes the process to stop. It would be nice if it had the ability to realize it was hung (hadn't progressed in 24 hours or whatever) and restart. But this has been less that half-dozen times in 3 years across 25 remote locations.

Joshua E.
Industry: E-Learning

It's What The Name Says: Good!

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

This software caters to a small niche, and it caters to it well! (Or, "good."). I have yet to find a backup/syncing software that is both powerful and easy. Honestly, I have yet to find many that work  period! While Goodsync is a paid option, it's ridiculously affordable as far as software goes. I highly recommend!

Pros

Cheap. Highly affordable. Customizable (e.g. Create routines, specific sync jobs, etc...) Updated CONSTANTLY. (I don't even say this exaggeratively: I think this software receives more frequent updates than any I know. Which is reassuring with software that you're trusting with daily automated tasks  especially ones likely involving the backup of your life's data.)

Cons

While I think the UI is pretty outstanding relative to the challenge it's trying to solve, it can still be daunting at times. When you're reviewing the sync analysis for thousands upon thousands of files, it seems like there might be a slightly better way to display things to the user to inform them of important notices, etc...

Sherry F.
Industry: E-Learning

A MUST for everyone backups made EASY!

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

My life is better with this software. I have never had a bad experience. I am constantly recommending it. I believe everyone should own it. If your hard drive crashes, you are screwed... unless you back up regularly. Good Sync only updates the most recent file. There is no need to resave a file that has not changed, so the process is very fast.

Pros

This software is simply amazing! The user interface is easy to understand, no instructions needed. Simply browse to select folders. Sync in either direction, exclude specific files or file types. Very easy to customize how to handle. Create multiple tabs allowing more specific customization of your back-up. I do mine daily - onto a flash drive, and I have 4 tabs... one of which pulls files from another computer in my network at home. The cost is minimal, but the benefit is worth it's weight in gold.

Cons

Nothing.... I have used it for 15 years now... only wish I discovered it before then!

Industry: Hospitality

The only tool that is required for Sync and Backup

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

When we have too much data it is really easy to forget back up or sync. We also need to keep track manually of the changed files and update. In some cased it can be easily overlooked. Having a software like GoodSync, we don't really have do any manual tracking. It takes care of comparing and we just have to choose what actions needs to be taken. Saves a lot of time and make the whole process easy.

Pros

-Both Backup and Sync can be done. No need to have different tools for different jobs.
-Synchronizing tool is very powerful and accurate
-There is built support to sync with many cloud storage accounts (google drive, onedrive, box etc)
-Portable version of the software is handy as it can be used in many computers. (the price is slight higher)
-Ability to save sync or back jobs is very convenient and being able to group is quite nice.
-I have 9 hard disks and i back up and sync between all of them using GoodSync. It is really fast and makes the easily done.

Cons

-User Interface for synchronization can be improved.
It took some time to realize how exactly it works so first time users can find it a bit difficult.
The way the data represented (conflicts, copy left to right and vice versa) and also the action that needs to be taken presented in a better way. This is not really a bad thing as once understood or after using it for a while it be very easy to use. People who have used tools compare and merging tools will not have any issue.

Malik A.

It can compare two directories and automatically copy new files, and keep the folders in sync.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

GoodSync 10 is a reliable application that can help you back up your important data automatically and on regular basis without much effort. Support for batch processing ensures that this application can handle multiple sync jobs together.

Pros

The UI of the application is simple and clean, and one can easily get used to it with little time and effort.
The application offers to create two different types of backup jobs to suit the needs of the users. Backup job only modifies files in the output directory, and includes hidden and system files by default. Synchronization job changes the files on both sides, so any changes made to any of the folders is synced to the other one. This option excludes system files by default.
You can sync files and folders from remote computers using FTP or SFTP.
You can also sync folders and files located on GoodSync Connect, Windows Shares, WebDAV, Amazon S3, Google Drive, Windows Azure, Amazon Cloud Drive, SkyDrive or WinMobile ,OneDrive Office 365 and Box.com, BackBlaze B2.
The application makes use of end-to-end AES with 256-bit key encryption to ensure safer backups.
Using P2P method for backup increases backup speeds by many times making even bigger backups very quick.

Cons

P2P method for backup should increase the speeds significantly, however, this isn't the case here. It is actually slower than many other similar applications.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi Malik - Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you can please submit evidence of P2P definitely investigate ASAP. http://bit.ly/1L9QELn

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Goodsync is a great tool for syncing servers and the cloud

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Syncing a PC folder to a server folder, syncing a server folder to a different server folder, syncing from a PC or server folder to cloud storage (using the local display of cloud contents) available when using cloud storage platforms like Dropbox, OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Pros

Easy to configure software; extremely reliable. With the personal edition, as long as your PC can see the source and the target, you can sync between both sides. I lover the auto scheduling of the sync. Warning messages are also helpful. Finally running as a background service allows a PC to act as the broker to sync between servers, PC's and cloud storage (like Dropbox) and PC to PC.

Cons

Really nothing. The software works as advertised and is reasonably priced for performing a very specific type of task - syncing (one-way or bi-directional) between a source and a target file folder.

Chester G.
Industry: Printing

Comments from PVP

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

It has been reasonable, one time when we had problems it was quite frustrating as it seemed almost impossible to just be able to call and get hands on help, but I think I finally was able to talk to a person. I understand your system, but sometimes when your problem is complex, it needs to be talked through but I eventually was able to do that.

Pros

It is reasonably priced and generally works well behind the scenes.

Cons

We have had a few issues where we would lose the licensing, and have to get it authorized again, it updates quite often which isn't really a big deal, but unless there are real improvements, would actually prefer it to be updated less. We were using Cubby, which works more as a central on the cloud system, that keeps all users updated, whereas this one works peer to peer, which doesn't seem to be quite as good. However, we have made it work.

Hany A.
Industry: Computer Hardware

A Great backup and Sync software that replaces a DAS

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

Pros

Flawless, manual or Automatic (Scheduled or on change) Synchronisation;
it can replace a Direct attached storage with RAID 1 configuration;
it also displays a summary of the changes from the source to the destination with plenty of criteria like propagate deletions at destination, or choose to leave any deleted file at destination, or even keep the deleted files for a certain period of time in case they are needed again;
can be scheduled to automatically synchronise source with destination upon file change or new file addition;
multiple Synchronisation or backup jobs can be created;

Cons

it is not easy to arrange the jobs in the required order

Industry: Retail

The best synchronisation software available.

Reviewed on 2018/01/17

Reliable backup to cloud and synchronisation between sites and to laptops.

Pros

Reliable synchronisation allowing good automation options, filtering and an excellent choice of target clouds.

Cons

Inability to synchronise the same set of data simultaneously means that complex setups have lots of failures until a job "gets its slot". In particular backup jobs should be bale to run without locking everything.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Locking GoodSync job root files/folders is imposed so the folders / files we are syncing / backing up are not altered during the process. If any changes happen during this lock, they will be picked up when the next sync / backup job runs. Removing this lock is not recommended, but it can be done. Under Left / Right side of GoodSync job Options, check the box "No GS_Data folder here". Again, please note, that we do not recommend removing this lock.

Michael B.
Industry: Online Media
Company size: Self Employed

GoodSync has been working very well for me for several years.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Automated backups and consolidated cloud storage software.

Pros

I've been using GoodSync for all kinds of automated local and cloud backups for several years. Any issues I've run into have been minor and when I've contacted customer support they're usually very good about getting back to me with fixes and update me regularly. It's very versatile and reliable software that is pretty easy to set up.

Cons

When updating to new versions automatically, the software sometimes fails and you need to re-install the update manually. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying that it still happens from time to time.

Grant M.
Industry: Wholesale

A product that does what it says - most of the time

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

We do rely on the product as an alternative to One Drive, which we found to be completely unreliable.
GoodSync is far more reliable, documents the work it is doing really well, and provides mechanisms to overcome issues more robustly.

Pros

The interface is great - comprehensive, giving you the details of what's going on
Performance is great - doing live syncs happens quickly and does not degrade performance noticeably

Cons

Integration with One Drive is not reliable. At times the connection breaks and the syncing stops.
The Central Management of clients also does not work when using a One Drive as a target for syncing.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi Grant - thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have passed this information along to our support team for further review.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Michael B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Really perfect for keeping files in sync

Reviewed on 2019/09/22

Keeping local copies of network files on notebooks in sync.

Pros

On our computers I literally have to keep hundreds of gigabytes in sync. GoodSync is almost perfect in this. If wanted, it syncs in the background. E. g. we use Nextcloud as our cloud storage. It works tremendpusly together with it.

Cons

License shifting is a bit difficult since when you want to port a license to a new computer due to hardware change, always ALL licenses of the same purchase have to be reactivated.

Suraj S.
Industry: Financial Services

Source and Target Directory scanning gets slower.

Reviewed on 2019/07/03

Backup small KB sized data files to other disk and S3 bucket of AWS.

Pros

The software is Easy of Implementation and very Robust.

Cons

Becomes slow when scanning file list at S3 bucket (has 1million files) when syncing from local to s3 bucket. It scans full list every time that takes 2 hours even when the bucket is used to just put file to s3 with no writes from other source.

Response from Siber Systems

HI Suraj - thank you for reaching out and providing feedback on your use of GoodSync. Regarding the issue you're experiencing, please open a support ticket by going to Help >> Contact Support. Create a support ticket from the GoodSync installation that is actually running that you describe in the issue. Once received, our team will review the log file, troubleshoot, and assist. Thank you!

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Francis A.
Industry: Computer Software

a robust tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Pros

when the product is set you can trust him completely. The number of options can satisfy most needs, even the most complex. Backup or synchronizations finally become reliable.

Cons

Some minor translation errors for the French version, but nothing insurmountable.

Response from Siber Systems

Thanks for the heads up about the translation issues! If it's not too much of a bother and you don't mind sending them our way, we'll gladly update. If so, you can submit them here: http://bit.ly/1L9QELn. Thanks again!

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10