GoodSync

Backup and synchronization with remote file access

Peter K.
  • Industry: Program Development

I run all my backups for all my devices using GoodSync

Reviewed on 2021/04/01

My over all experience is excellent and I would highly recommend this product.

Pros

It integrates well with all my NAS devices, Using the "goodsync explorer" program I am able to see all my backup locations including my Google Drive and BackBlaze B2 storage. And the price just can't be beat for what this program is capable of. My fav features are:
Integration with all my cloud storage that's simple and easy.
Integration with all my NAS devices Synology and WD.
Precise control of when and what gets backed up.
Ability to detect file changes on MY NAS, MY PC and my cloud service so everything is backed up nearly instantly.
The GoodSync Explorer feature makes it easy to see the files on any of my devices or RDP into them if need be.

I have recommended this to others and everyone that has taken my advice is very pleased with this program as well.

Cons

The only negative I have is that it does not run as a standalone program on the NAS, but since I use a dedicated PC as my backup controller that hasn't really been a hindrance.

• Industry: Hospitality

The only tool that is required for Sync and Backup

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

When we have too much data it is really easy to forget back up or sync. We also need to keep track manually of the changed files and update. In some cased it can be easily overlooked. Having a software like GoodSync, we don't really have do any manual tracking. It takes care of comparing and we just have to choose what actions needs to be taken. Saves a lot of time and make the whole process easy.

Pros

-Both Backup and Sync can be done. No need to have different tools for different jobs.
-Synchronizing tool is very powerful and accurate
-There is built support to sync with many cloud storage accounts (google drive, onedrive, box etc)
-Portable version of the software is handy as it can be used in many computers. (the price is slight higher)
-Ability to save sync or back jobs is very convenient and being able to group is quite nice.
-I have 9 hard disks and i back up and sync between all of them using GoodSync. It is really fast and makes the easily done.

Cons

-User Interface for synchronization can be improved.
It took some time to realize how exactly it works so first time users can find it a bit difficult.
The way the data represented (conflicts, copy left to right and vice versa) and also the action that needs to be taken presented in a better way. This is not really a bad thing as once understood or after using it for a while it be very easy to use. People who have used tools compare and merging tools will not have any issue.

The best synchronisation software available.

Reviewed on 2018/01/17

Reliable backup to cloud and synchronisation between sites and to laptops.

Pros

Reliable synchronisation allowing good automation options, filtering and an excellent choice of target clouds.

Cons

Inability to synchronise the same set of data simultaneously means that complex setups have lots of failures until a job "gets its slot". In particular backup jobs should be bale to run without locking everything.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Locking GoodSync job root files/folders is imposed so the folders / files we are syncing / backing up are not altered during the process. If any changes happen during this lock, they will be picked up when the next sync / backup job runs. Removing this lock is not recommended, but it can be done. Under Left / Right side of GoodSync job Options, check the box "No GS_Data folder here". Again, please note, that we do not recommend removing this lock.

Michael B.
  • Industry: Online Media

GoodSync has been working very well for me for several years.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Automated backups and consolidated cloud storage software.

Pros

I've been using GoodSync for all kinds of automated local and cloud backups for several years. Any issues I've run into have been minor and when I've contacted customer support they're usually very good about getting back to me with fixes and update me regularly. It's very versatile and reliable software that is pretty easy to set up.

Cons

When updating to new versions automatically, the software sometimes fails and you need to re-install the update manually. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying that it still happens from time to time.

Darren M.
  • Industry: Online Media

Reliable syncing software saves so much time

Reviewed on 2018/12/22

Pros

- cuts out the middle man and saves so much time syncing files from one hard drive/decive to another
- if a file changes in one destination, it will update the file in second destination automatically again, saving time and effort
- once set up, no need to "turn on" or "log in" as such, syncing will occur automatically

Cons

- syncing to cloud solutions can be slow.
- learning curve to set up, can take alot of time/concentration if unfamiliar with this style of software however once set up you are good to go!

Donald C.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

GoodSync - Does Not Sync Extended Attributes and Tech Support Is Rude and Uninformed

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

GoodSync has a slick website that promises a critical feature that they can't deliver and thier tech support is rude, unhelpful and technically out-of-date. Applications from other companies support syncing Mac extended attributes over SMB to a NAS albeit with a worse UI and poor documentation. I really wanted to like this product and even offered a suggestion for a workaround but they weren't interested. Here is one response a GoodSynch tech to a carefully crafted question from me that contained relevant log entries and observations. All of his responses were similar, no matter what information I provided.

Tech:
yes, you NAS does not support any such thing.
you need to backup on Mac to actual disk formatted by Mac.
NAS is not a Mac at all.

Pros

GoodSync has a good UI that is intuitive and the manual is excellent. Simple file syncronization tasks are easy to setup and can be easily autimated if needed.

Cons

The GoodSync website clearly states that Mac extended attributes are preserved during file syncronization. This is absolutely not true if you want to sync to or from network attached storage devices (NAS). I engageded thier tech support team and provided them with detailed information concerning the problem and was answered by someone using incomplete sentences saying that I couldn't sync from a NAS using SMB because MAC extended attributes were not supported by SMB which hasn't been true for several years. I politely pressed the point and tried to get the request escalated but the tech just blew it off. I reported this unbeleivably rude and poorly informed tech to the company and received a refund and a statement that they have problems getting SMB to work.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi Donald - we're very sorry to hear you had such a poor experience, and we want to assure you that we take technical issues, as well as specific requests very seriously. If you can please reply with your email address or ticket number, we will ensure it is properly escalated and addressed. Thank you.

Voris S.
  • Industry: Shipbuilding

Experiences

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

Reliable, accurate the server handles multiple connections well

Cons

Sync over slow lines, it takes a lot of time to complete. It would had been a nice feature if we could only sync a specific folder rather than the whole folder structure, when needed
Server price... very expensive

Wendy M.

Renewal process is a pain.

Reviewed on 2018/01/22

Pros

Now that we finally got it working, it is fine! It really does a good job now! It is pretty reliable.

Cons

Took too long to get it up and working correctly. I think you even had to make some minor changes to get it working for us.

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

File replication tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

We use it to synchronize server data in our iis web applications. even the smallest changes in a very short time to the opposite side.

Cons

The replication time is longer when the number of files is too large.

Emmanuel S.

Easy backup and sync tool

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

This tool has a very easy to use UI and enables users to take control of large sync tasks. In the latest version it's also possible to sync cloudbased storage (e.g. Onedrive). Scheduling synctasks is also very handy.

Cons

This tool takes some time to set up. On the other hand it does give you much more control over your sync and backup tasks.

Amanda M.

Used GoodSync to back up my photography business files for years!

Reviewed on 2018/01/20

Pros

I appreciated that they had different sync options. It was easy to customize the different times and types of files to sync between hard drives.

Cons

It was, at times, difficult to navigate because there were so many menus and customization options.

Alexander A.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Well Designed Product, Many Options

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Effectively migrated data from several remote systems into a single storage repository with relative ease, and provided an automated method of cloud backup for that repository. Would definitely recommend this product to others.

Pros

Many, many options, easy to install and configure, low footprint, very fast processing.

Cons

Documentation (in-product) could be better, some options lack much explanation. While it supports Amazon S3, it does NOT support the long term "S3 Glacier" storage options and some of the other S3 storage systems that are available via Amazon. It CAN be done, but has to be backed up to S3 and then migrated via the Amazon console, unlike some competing products. (however the features set is so robust on GoodSync that it's worth the extra steps to use GoodSync).

Jean-sebastien T.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Good Sync

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Very good, no complaints overall.

Pros

The syncing works very seamlessly and the integration with AWS was so easy.

Cons

the report capabilities are very limited and require scripting. it would be so much btter if you guys could improve that piece.

Response from Siber Systems

We've passed your feedback regarding reports along to the appropriate team for review. Thank you!

Indra B.

Easy to setup, works very well. Good feature set.

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Pros

I like the feature set that it offers. Setup is hassle free and very easy to configure. The interface is nicely laid out as well.

Cons

Logging could be a bit better. So troubleshooting automated tasks is a bit difficult as there is no verbose option available.

Rahul T.

GoodSync is the tool for syncroziastion between 2 PC

Reviewed on 2018/01/17

Sync between 2 PC locally as well as various cloud platform.

It support all platforms including Server Operating systems Windows/Linux/MAC, also
It uses an innovative synchronization algorithm that offers true bi-directional synchronization. and highly rated by CNET and PCWORLD.

Pros

GoodSync backs up files to portable drives, mobile devices, syncs files between your computer, mobile devices, FTP, SFTP, Amazon S3, Google Drive, SkyDrive, WebDAV, Azure and It is very fast and syncs files as per schedule.

Sync all at the same time

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Pros

The easy way to synchronize all your data at the same place is very useful, Synchronize your personal files is easy

Cons

overwrite data is annoying the transfer is very slow, I don't know if the connection is the problem or the software

Response from Siber Systems

We appreciate you taking the time to review GoodSync. Regarding the data overwrite and connection issues you're experiencing, if you haven't already, please contact our technical support team as they'll gladly investigate. You can do so by submitting a ticket here: https://www.goodsync.com/php/gsss/main?lang=en

Charith R.
  • Industry: Shipbuilding
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best data synchronising tool for busy world

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

As an electrical engineer, I am very busy during work and after my works hours. Therefore sometimes I forgot to back up my important data or files. GoodSync is one of the software which helps me to continue my work very smoothly. Synchronizing and backup are very imported for my job because I deal with a lot of project-related documents and these documents are the most important part to increase the businesses of my shipbuilding company.

Pros

GoodSync has a user-friendly interface and it is very easy to used to file synchronizing and backup. Also, there are many tool end to end encryptions, real-time data transfer, block-level data transfer, and version history control besides synchronizing. It only synchronizing the latest files only and avoid data corruption during data transfer.

Cons

Sever license price is very high when compared with other licensing options. Sometimes for some types of file synchronizing speed is low.

Sherry F.

A MUST for everyone backups made EASY!

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

My life is better with this software. I have never had a bad experience. I am constantly recommending it. I believe everyone should own it. If your hard drive crashes, you are screwed... unless you back up regularly. Good Sync only updates the most recent file. There is no need to resave a file that has not changed, so the process is very fast.

Pros

This software is simply amazing! The user interface is easy to understand, no instructions needed. Simply browse to select folders. Sync in either direction, exclude specific files or file types. Very easy to customize how to handle. Create multiple tabs allowing more specific customization of your back-up. I do mine daily - onto a flash drive, and I have 4 tabs... one of which pulls files from another computer in my network at home. The cost is minimal, but the benefit is worth it's weight in gold.

Cons

Nothing.... I have used it for 15 years now... only wish I discovered it before then!

Grant M.
  • Industry: Wholesale

A product that does what it says - most of the time

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

We do rely on the product as an alternative to One Drive, which we found to be completely unreliable.
GoodSync is far more reliable, documents the work it is doing really well, and provides mechanisms to overcome issues more robustly.

Pros

The interface is great - comprehensive, giving you the details of what's going on
Performance is great - doing live syncs happens quickly and does not degrade performance noticeably

Cons

Integration with One Drive is not reliable. At times the connection breaks and the syncing stops.
The Central Management of clients also does not work when using a One Drive as a target for syncing.

Response from Siber Systems

Hi Grant - thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have passed this information along to our support team for further review.

Francis A.

a robust tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Pros

when the product is set you can trust him completely. The number of options can satisfy most needs, even the most complex. Backup or synchronizations finally become reliable.

Cons

Some minor translation errors for the French version, but nothing insurmountable.

Response from Siber Systems

Thanks for the heads up about the translation issues! If it's not too much of a bother and you don't mind sending them our way, we'll gladly update. If so, you can submit them here: http://bit.ly/1L9QELn. Thanks again!

Dave K.

Can't use

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

Used to be good, but inability to contact support has convinced me to find another product.

Pros

It used to work well...........................

Cons

I reloaded my harddrive from scratch. Now can't activate software. Tried to create a Goodsync account and cant log into that. And you can't talk to support unless you can log in! I am totally frustrated with this and am giving up.

Prakash B.

Excellent software to sync file between PC and cloud

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

Goodsync can sync files between PCs or PC to cloud with no other software needed.
Good auditing of all activity
Option to keep multiple versions and deleted files
It can run as a service

Cons

Workstation and server licensing is different even though they use same software.
Difficult to keep up with version changes. (Good problem to have)

Always a solid product!

Reviewed on 2017/10/31

Simple - it does the job, both to sync and copy.

Pros

Easy to set up with an intuitive interface. Can either backup files to another volume or synchronize files between two volumes.

Cons

The enterprise version seemed quite expensive as compared to the standard version, especially since I'm simply copying files from one server to a second.

Jake P.

Straight forward and easy to use

Reviewed on 2017/11/13

The benefits we received was two perfectly synced servers in two different towns via vpn.

Pros

Not scary to use. Abundance of features. Powerful but easy to use. Support is helpful and knows their product.

Cons

Not much to say here. Product works as expected. Would recommend to anyone. Sometimes takes long to sync.

Tim D.

Very good sync solution, server version slightly expensive

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

Pros

Full featured with almost everything you would need, also easy to use

Cons

Price of server version is a bit too high