OnPay

Award-winning payroll and HR that move businesses forward

Colin
Colin

Easy to use with great customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Onpay does make payroll a breeze! It's one of the best returns on an expenditure in my business. The time saved and the psychic energy it frees up makes me very happy!

Pros

Their online portal is easy to use. Once you're set up all the information you need for managing payroll/taxes/pto etc is at your fingertips. My wife and I both have separate companies and I do the payroll for both. I'd been using ADP in my business for 8 years but I started her with Onpay about 16 months ago to give it a shot. I'll be switching my co. to Onpay as of the 1st of the New Year.

Cons

The integration with Quickbooks was a little difficult to find and implement in the beginning. The customer service folks were very helpful but I think that could use a little redesign to make it a little more intuitive and eliminate the need for CS coaching.

Craig
  • Industry: Accounting

Wish all software was this easy

Reviewed on 2020/02/01

Onpay has streamlined the payroll process for me. I run my clients payroll in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the cost.

Pros

The ease of setup, integration, and running payroll. They have simplified the process. Also the price is a fraction of other payroll companies.

Cons

There are a few features i would like to see added, such as automatic payroll.

Paychex Flex

Price and service.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

Paychex is very difficult to integrate with QBO and cost considerably more.
Austin

Easy to use but reporting incorrect taxes

Reviewed on 2021/06/14

Leaving end of year to quickbooks even though more expensive. The failure on tax reporting alone is reason to go elsewhere

Pros

Easy to use and automatically syncs with Guideline, our 401k.

Cons

They keep messing up taxes. Twice in 6 months they failed to calculate taxes which ended up with my accountant having to deal with IRS. Worst part, it took 2 months to get response from support as they are too busy.

QuickBooks Payroll

Cheaper

Response from OnPay

We're sorry to hear your feedback, Austin, and we'd love to see if there's anything else we can do to help. Someone from our team will be reaching out shortly (if they haven't already). Or feel free to call 877-328-6505 to reach a member of our support team who can assist you.

Suzan

Great Product, Great Support!

Reviewed on 2020/07/24

Direct Deposit for our employees is fantastic (I do not give anyone options, ever), the reporting and paying of the taxes is huge. And if I mess up, OnPay is there for me!

Pros

The interface is simple, and the updates that occur have never caused any problems, but have added functionality that was missing in the very beginning (for example, scheduling a pay rate change). I also like the ability to import into QuickBooks.

I like that On Pay pays the taxes for us! Prior to moving to OnPay, I was constantly getting adjustments on on payroll taxes from the state of the feds - that never happens anymore.

Support staff is amazing.

The reports are good and getting better.

Cons

The reports are getting better - and recently new options have been added, so that is great. I

Gayle

OnPay

Reviewed on 2021/11/23

They have been great at helping me with IRS issues.

They have been great at helping me with IRS issues.

Pros

Reports section is a great resource. I like being able to get a year to date tally on hours, income, retirement contributions, etc.

Cons

The new employee set up is a bit tedious.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

SurePapyroll was expensive and not easy to use.

SurePayroll

Great product, great pricing
Raquel
  • Industry: Printing

Payroll Is Now A Breeze

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

OnPay has made doing payroll enjoyable. They are quick to answer questions or concerns. They do the filings for multiple states for the same price. They will even do the year end reports like W-2s and W-3s. The ease of use is exceptional.

Pros

What I like the most is the employee portal option, as well as the ease of pulling payroll tax reports. It's very easy to make changes as needed to employees profiles.

Cons

What I like least is the function to pay Paid time off, or any other benefit, it's not as intuitive to use it. It took me a little while to figure it out.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

The accountant doing our payroll was not very good at keeping up the different reports for the states. It was a practical decision to bring payroll in-house in order to make the changes we needed to make effectively.

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

OnPay provided services for all 50 states, they did all the filings at a flat rate, and their prices were unbeatable!
Steve
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Exceptional Payroll Software

Reviewed on 2023/01/24

Everything about payroll is a nightmare for any business, but more importantly for small business in America. Since we are working throughout many states and cities across the country, OnPay makes this all so simplistic and easy to maintain compliances.

Pros

Simplistic integration with our existing employee database, user friendly to add new employees and contractors, Customer service is exceptional when called upon for help.

Cons

Cost is a bit on the high side, but I attribute this to the outstanding support and ease of use. Both factors which are paramount for our industry and the constant changes from state to state regarding payroll reporting etc.

Silvia

Super easy and very modestly priced

Reviewed on 2022/02/24

I'm primarily a web designer, who was thrust into the role of administrator as well. I have trouble with paperwork, and OnPay has been a lifesaver. It's extremely easy to set up and use, and once set up, most features are automatic. Reports are easy to create and review as well, great for end-of-the-year admin and taxes, and reminders keep me on track.

Pros

Ease of use, automation and reminders. I love the fact that they take care of payroll reporting and tax obligations. Entering new employees is a breeze, and so is running the payroll.

Cons

After several years of use, I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with this service.

Alisha
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 2020/10/23

My overall experience is good. The cost and customer support team make it a no brainer.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ease ofnavigation. Being able toggle between areas is helpful to verifying information. But I feel that this companies best feature is their customer support department. Every time I have had to call, their representatives are always polite and can fix any of my problems.

Cons

I sometimes have issues with the pair time off or vacation algorithms. This is the feature that as given me more phone time w/ customer support.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

At the time of purchase, the cost was the overall consideration.
Emir
Emir
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

OnPay is the one and only outstanding payroll software

Reviewed on 2021/10/21

OnPay is a great payroll software that offers great support to its users. With the help of this tool, you can easily call, chat, and even email. Moving on to the usability of this software, I think that there is a slight learning curve when it comes to payroll functionality but still thanks to my team because they helped me efficiently walk through the process.

Pros

Onpay is really easy to use plus printing reports and even deriving employee information is quite easy. It is one of the most efficient and effective payroll software that we have been using all across our organization. This software has easily enabled us to categorize different departments of our organization in an easy and hassle-free way. The tool is really quick in terms of responsiveness which I really admire. Onpay has always been really helpful throughout we have been a customer. All our payroll-related queries are resolved with OnPay. All in all, this is one of my essential products for our company.

Cons

OnPay is providing excellent services. I have not faced any big issues while using this payroll program.

Marsha
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Poor Customer Service

Reviewed on 2022/03/29

My overall experience with OnPay was a nightmare. I can't overemphasize the terrible customer service experience we experience with this company.

Pros

I didn't like anything about OnPay. The customer service was abysmal. The dashboard was cumbersome and convoluted.

Cons

The customer service is horrible. Payroll processing was the easiest feature. The reporting was inaccurate as well as running reports. The dashboard was not user-friendly or eye-ease.

QuickBooks Payroll, Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing OnPay

It was the worse possible experience you could have with a payroll provider.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

I choose OnPay due to a referral.
Heather
  • Industry: Automotive

Very Easy to Use and Very Reliable

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Pros

I love using this payroll software. The price is very reasonable, running weekly payroll is simple. Finding reports that I need is super easy.

Cons

Sometimes the employee profiles are difficult to navigate in order to look up or update info. It's not something that is prohibitive to the use overall though.

Silas

Onpay is a must for small businesses

Reviewed on 2021/11/23

Pros

Ease of setup, logical workflow with double checks and warnings, this product pays for itself with its time-savings which allowing me to focus on growing my business rather than writing endless checks.

Cons

There really are no downfalls with Onpay, other than I have not had the need to utilize every tool it provides. But maybe someday as my business grows Im happy knowing OnPay is there if I need more tools.

Irene
  • Industry: Farming

OnPay is great for my small business

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

Pros

OnPay is great for my small business. It was very easy to get set-up and transferred from my previous payroll company. The interface is easy to use on a weekly basis, and if I ever have a question or an issue I need to resolve, customer service is responsive, thorough, and helpful. It's very easy to get a person on the other end, either on the phone or through email.

Cons

For right now, I don't have any substantial issues with OnPay.

Miriam

Great (probably the best) online payroll service

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

I really love this online payroll service. After a lot of research of a variety of payroll options, we moved from Paychex to OnPay a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the right move. I can't speak for large companies, but for small and medium sized companies I do believe this is the best, most reliable and most economical service available.

Pros

I run a small business and onpay is perfect for processing our payroll. Some of the features we love:
1) Easy to use interface
2) Employees enter all their own bank information, withholdings, etc.
2) Employees can log in to download their own tax forms, details of previous pay runs, etc. (I don't need to print or distribute these forms or information.)
3) Onpay takes care of all the appropriate taxes, etc.
4) Although I am on a biweekly pay cycle, I can run a payroll whenever I want. (For instance, I can make a separate holiday bonus run)
5) I can easily switch between paper checks or direct deposit if needed
6) It's easy to adjust an employees pay or add other categories of payment
7) Great customer support. Whenever I have had a question or needed assistance, I have had the answer pleasantly and quickly
8) It's a great value and you get what is promised. I don't get any emails asking me to purchase other services or upgrade or other things that I don't need.
9) The transition from our previous payroll service to Onpay was easy and seamless.

Cons

When I am out of the country, I have a hard time running payroll. I know this has to do with internet security, but I wish there was a straight-forward way to accommodate this issue.

Tiffany
  • Industry: Utilities

Great Payroll Company

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

OnPay has been so helpful throughout the time that we've been a customer. They've gone above and beyond to support us when we make a mistake and need instant support. The software is easy to use and very intuitive. We appreciate the partnership and look forward to growing together.

Pros

OnPay is so easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to implement. it makes quick work of payroll.

Cons

I would love to see them add an option to upload an excel payroll file instead of hand entry.

Gina
  • Industry: Veterinary
  • Used for 6-12 months

Great Payroll Company

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

Overall OnPay is great. This is my first Payroll experience so I don’t have a comparison but they have made the experience very positive. I have had them log in to my computer and walk me through every step. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is amazing I hesitate to tell you all for fear she will get too busy helping the rest of you hahaha

Pros

The layout is user friendly. I am a first time business owner so doing payroll was new and OnPay was easy.
They are affordable, same great service for much less than other companies.
Customer service is outstanding !! They have been terrific at walking me through the process and resolving any issues I’ve ever had.

Cons

I’m not a very active company as far as payroll and it would be nice if there was a lower cost option for when you aren’t submitting payroll but still need monthly tax forms filed. They have a suspended rate Which does this but was a bit high.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to OnPay

The other companies were very expensive.
Peter

OnPay satisfaction

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

The big problem solved over the previous provider experience is the quality of customer service. Instead of being handed from 'specialist' to 'specialist', and putting up with constant confusion, mis communication and errors, OnPay are just on it. When you talk or communicate with OnPay you communicate with a real person who knows their business, what your business needs, their software, and who won't stop working with you personally until you are completely happy.

Pros

Visually intuitive platform that takes what is a central admin process from functional to pleasurable.
OnPay offers simple, clear, visually attractive navigation for both the admins and the employees. Multiple reports options with the same visual simplicity and clarity, all easily sharable and usable. By comparison to the alternative payroll software we used prior, OnPay feels like its been designed by users, and not by accounting mechanics.

Cons

The OnPay software just works, if there are problems, or least likes, can't think of anything significant.

Cheri

Love the Software

Reviewed on 2022/12/23

Pros

Ease of use, Customer Service, I like that I don't have to know all the tax rules, that they are applied for me.

Cons

HR Suite.. Could be a little more user friendly. I find myself clicking on each heading to find what I am looking for.

David
  • Industry: Insurance

Ideal for smaller businesses

Reviewed on 2022/04/25

OnPay allows us to provide timely direct deposit payroll and 1099 payments and not have to worry about tax payments.

Pros

As a small business, we don't have a lot of time to work on payroll and to make sure that everything is up to date and compliant. OnPay makes the process easy and affordable. Working with a payroll company in the beginning for the first time, we always got timely answers to our questions, even later on down the road when we had a few unique problems we couldn't figure out. Nine out of ten times the FAQs have an answer but when they don't we have always been able to get timely assistance. The program is very flexible to adjust to seemingly any need.

Cons

After a couple of years I can honestly say that I can't think of any cons.

Will

I haven't used any other payroll software, but that's because OnPay has proven to be excellent.

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

OnPay does everything I need from a payroll perspective, from onboarding through WA State L&I taxes & federal payroll taxes. It makes being a business owner so much simpler than some of the payroll horror stories I've heard.

Pros

It's web-based, so I can access it from anywhere. This is a big benefit as I'm not always at the shop when I need to add an employee or check out if someone has PTO or something to that effect. The price is fantastic and the support has been superb. I've had to open a couple of support tickets due to issues I had early on with not understanding how to do payroll (brand new business owner) and they've been phenomenal. Very fast support response and they're always helpful.

Cons

It's likely not so much a con against OnPay as it is against payroll in general, but the process was a little confusing at first. Figuring out which payroll items to use for things like QSEHRA wasn't immediately obvious, but looking through the Knowledge Base or asking their support team I was eventually able to figure it out. This did mean I needed to make some retroactive corrections which OnPay was able to handle for me.

Deb

A System That Really Works for Small Business

Reviewed on 2023/06/22

We transitioned from a manual payroll system to OnPay. During our search process, they were very willing to answer questions and provide demos. Once we selected OnPay, they helped us during the transition process until we were up and running. We process payroll biweekly, and it is a pleasure to use. Adding new employees is easy - we love the option to invite employees to add their own information to the system. Taxes are paid on time, and the W-2 feature is quick and easy. We have been very pleased with our decision to partner with OnPay!

Pros

OnPay is easy to use, and provides easily accessible help articles when needed. It allows us to process our biweekly payroll in minutes. They also provide helpful messaging to remind us when payroll needs to be done early due to holidays.

Cons

The onboarding process could have been smoother, perhaps due to crossed communications. Ultimately we ironed out any confusion and it works beautifully.

Shayla
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Make's Life Better

Reviewed on 2021/05/25

Pros

OnPay was a game changer for our company and has made the payroll process simple and pain free. The best part is that their customer service ROCKS and is full of helpful people. Very happy and plan to stay for a long time. Thanks!

Cons

Time Tracking App / where employees can login using an app from this platform. We currently use TimeStation

Jamie
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

OnPay makes payroll easy

Reviewed on 2023/09/26

OnPay has been great overall. Easy to use and inexpensive.

OnPay has been great overall. Easy to use and inexpensive.

Pros

Running payroll biweekly is quite easy with OnPay. It takes me very little time to do it and it gets deposited in my employee’s accounts quickly. I also really like how easy it was to get worker’s comp set up and am getting ready to add in the retirement integration.

Cons

I work with a piece rate system and that has been a bit difficult to set up through OnPay since it is not a typical hourly or salary position. I have found a work around.

alicia
  • Industry: Machinery

Worth it!!!

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

Overall experience with OnPay has been wonderful. We have been with OnPay for about one year now. The ease of knowing that the deductions, withdrawals, taxes etc does not have to be done by myself, is fabulous! Customer service is on point! OnPays chat team replies in seconds. Very informative. They lead you to the right directions. Being a small business, The price is very reasonable for All they have to offer. I’ll be keeping them for a long time. And I highly recommend OnPay.

Pros

Very easy to put hours in and submit payroll. Love that the taxes are withdrawn and done for you. Love customer service.

Cons

The only thing I think was a bit of getting used to were trying to navigate to find the right tax papers etc. But with help you do get used to it. Also, there was a problem with payroll being processed twice within two minutes from each other. There should have been a pop up stating you already processed a payroll. Do you want this one also ?