OnPay Reviews

OnPay

Simple online payroll services for growing businesses.

4.9/5 (153 reviews)
Miriam B.

Great (probably the best) online payroll service

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

I really love this online payroll service. After a lot of research of a variety of payroll options, we moved from Paychex to OnPay a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the right move. I can't speak for large companies, but for small and medium sized companies I do believe this is the best, most reliable and most economical service available.

Pros

I run a small business and onpay is perfect for processing our payroll. Some of the features we love:
1) Easy to use interface
2) Employees enter all their own bank information, withholdings, etc.
2) Employees can log in to download their own tax forms, details of previous pay runs, etc. (I don't need to print or distribute these forms or information.)
3) Onpay takes care of all the appropriate taxes, etc.
4) Although I am on a biweekly pay cycle, I can run a payroll whenever I want. (For instance, I can make a separate holiday bonus run)
5) I can easily switch between paper checks or direct deposit if needed
6) It's easy to adjust an employees pay or add other categories of payment
7) Great customer support. Whenever I have had a question or needed assistance, I have had the answer pleasantly and quickly
8) It's a great value and you get what is promised. I don't get any emails asking me to purchase other services or upgrade or other things that I don't need.
9) The transition from our previous payroll service to Onpay was easy and seamless.

Cons

When I am out of the country, I have a hard time running payroll. I know this has to do with internet security, but I wish there was a straight-forward way to accommodate this issue.

You should be using this payroll service!

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

I have an employee with two local city withholdings and a school district withholding that I thought I was going to have to manually withhold for---turns out that a few minutes with online chat support is all it took to get Onpay to handle it.

Pros

Easy to Use
Great Support
Inexpensive
Handles multiple local withholdings easily
Saves me a lot of time dealing with multiple tax filings

Cons

I didn't like that there might be multiple w-2 forms for one person in some cases, but honestly it wasn't a big deal to just add them together for tax prep.

Peter C.

OnPay satisfaction

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

The big problem solved over the previous provider experience is the quality of customer service. Instead of being handed from 'specialist' to 'specialist', and putting up with constant confusion, mis communication and errors, OnPay are just on it. When you talk or communicate with OnPay you communicate with a real person who knows their business, what your business needs, their software, and who won't stop working with you personally until you are completely happy.

Pros

Visually intuitive platform that takes what is a central admin process from functional to pleasurable.
OnPay offers simple, clear, visually attractive navigation for both the admins and the employees. Multiple reports options with the same visual simplicity and clarity, all easily sharable and usable. By comparison to the alternative payroll software we used prior, OnPay feels like its been designed by users, and not by accounting mechanics.

Cons

The OnPay software just works, if there are problems, or least likes, can't think of anything significant.

Will C.

I haven't used any other payroll software, but that's because OnPay has proven to be excellent.

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

OnPay does everything I need from a payroll perspective, from onboarding through WA State L&I taxes & federal payroll taxes. It makes being a business owner so much simpler than some of the payroll horror stories I've heard.

Pros

It's web-based, so I can access it from anywhere. This is a big benefit as I'm not always at the shop when I need to add an employee or check out if someone has PTO or something to that effect. The price is fantastic and the support has been superb. I've had to open a couple of support tickets due to issues I had early on with not understanding how to do payroll (brand new business owner) and they've been phenomenal. Very fast support response and they're always helpful.

Cons

It's likely not so much a con against OnPay as it is against payroll in general, but the process was a little confusing at first. Figuring out which payroll items to use for things like QSEHRA wasn't immediately obvious, but looking through the Knowledge Base or asking their support team I was eventually able to figure it out. This did mean I needed to make some retroactive corrections which OnPay was able to handle for me.

Jasha C.

This software does exactly what I need - Pay folks, keep track of the taxes.

Reviewed on 2017/12/07

I don't have to learn and keep up with tax laws. I don't have to pay Kelly Services to keep up with payroll for a single part time employee. It's super easy to use and my employee gets notice that payroll has been processed as soon as I submit it. We use direct deposit and employee loves that. The software saves me time and money and gets the job done right with almost no effort on my part.

Pros

I run a small business with one part-time employee. Onpay is easy to use for weekly pay. They pay my employee, allowing her to split between checking and savings. They make the deductions required by law and do the filings. In essence, they do everything except enter the time my employee worked each week. It's very, very easy to use. Useful reports are available when they are needed. I've not used customer support, that's why I rated it 3 stars.

Cons

The initial set up took a little effort, and I remembering it being not real clear. I have not had any other problems.

Bruce W.

It works as long as it works. If theres a compilation go ahead and cancel the account.

Reviewed on 2018/04/02

Pros

Dashboard right online where I can customize all my payroll calculations. I can handle everything from the my laptop.

Cons

You get what you pay for. Onpay is an inexpensive solution to payroll needs for a small business. Sometimes it can be difficult to get a good accountant to take on a small account. It was perfect as far as scale goes and its a really brilliant concept. The trouble came when my state Department of Revenue blocked Onpay from fileing my payroll taxes. There did seem to be a legitimate issue and I am convinced that the guys and gals at Onpay were taking the correct steps to file my taxes but "shockingly" there seemed to be some incompetence on part of my state government. So why am I disappointed in Onpay? When they were unable to make the filing on my behalf they informed me of the difficulty and asked me to verify the information I provided. I was back and forth with the State and Onpay multiple times. Reassured the information was correct... Informed it still didn't work... this cycle played out two or three times. This is the point at which I feel Onpay failed me as a customer. Instead of reaching out and assigning A resolution specialist to run this thing to ground, they let me out to dry. because I messed around trying to get Onpay to help me resolve the issue I am now incurring penalties and am faced with paying a tax profesionals consulting fee to work the tangles out of my tax filings. My advice, go local where you can sit down with the pro and let he or she shepherd you through the maze.

Shannyn H.

OnPay Review

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/12/05

OnPay is fantastic. I can't imagine you will be disappointed with their outstanding service.

Pros

I have been using OnPay for my company's payroll needs since November 2016 and it is fantastic. It is one stop shopping for all of my payroll needs from the overall functionality of the system to the payroll and tax reports the system prepares (and files) on my behalf. But my most favorite feature of this system is their chat functionality. When I am running payroll or have questions, they are always available to me and help me with my questions and issues. They walk me through every step and sometimes even suggest a phone call to help me with my issues. I've never been left w any issue outstanding. It is fantastic.

Cons

My accountant doesn't love the way the data exports out of the OnPay system into my Quickbooks company file.

Wesley H.

Great UI, Easy to reach Customer Service, Dependable

Reviewed on 2017/10/25

Pros

The user interface is easy to use. I simply plug in the payroll hours and after a few steps I'm done. I don't have to worry about figuring out taxes, unemployment, etc. It also takes of my W2's at the end of the year. When I need help, I can chat via messenger or email them and I get a response in a day or so. Its also the cheapest I have found. Everyone I worked with has always been really nice. I have saved a lot of time.

Cons

More reports using charts instead of just numbers. Being able to compare previous years to see how your doing in comparison. Its very possible that this is already implemented and I just have not figured it out. It would be nice to have a Clock in - and Clock out program attached to this so that I do not have to do it on a separate program.

Cynthia P.

OnPay has been fantastic!

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

I've only used onpay for the basic payroll functions, but it has simplified the process for me. I do the payroll for 5 different companies and it's so easy to switch between them and take care of them all at once. I love the low fees and that I can run multiple payrolls a month for the same fee amount. I also like that it's easy to quickly cancel and resubmit a payroll when I realized I forgot to include a new employee's deduction.

Pros

OnPay is super easy to use. It's easy to navigate the website and to access reports. Everything is laid out easily, so you know what information you need to include and how to input it in the software as you're setting up the company, adding employees, and running payrolls. Anytime I've had a question, I've been able to chat online with a customer service agent and get immediate direction on how to do something.

Cons

There's nothing that I really don't like about the software. Everything is straightforward and easy to use.

Good Choice for a Small Business Service Provider

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

As a small business, OnPay has served my payroll needs affordably which I really appreciate as ever penny matters. And the service they provide is great. I feel alot better working things through with them as the stress goes away if I thought I made a mistake I can't fix.

Pros

Payroll is very new for me to do and I needed support. OnPay reviewed well, but their service has been great. Very timely when I send or call asking for help as often I didn't know what to do. The reps would walk me through it and problem solved (as well as the stress considering I'm in CA which has a lot of rules to follow). Cost structure is fair as I pay the base price then only for the employees who have worked for me that month which is really nice as my business is seasonal.

Cons

Sometimes working through the different tabs is hard then to find the report I want to create the filter. It takes getting used to and some hits & misses. Or the pay structure is flexible in some parts and other ways not in how I use it. But compared to other services, their pay structure is way more flexible.

John J.

Best payroll company I've used in 20 years!

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

First of all, as a small business owner, I was being charged way too much with the previous 2 "full service" payroll providers. I went on the search for an online option. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. I get better customer services, with answers promptly from employees at OnPay who know what they are doing. Much better service than I ever received at the "full service" providers. The website is very user friendly. Entering payroll bi-weekly is easy, and I always receive a friendly reminder when it is time for me to run payroll. There is unlimited access to your account and reports, and you can run payroll and/or bonuses as many times a month as you'd like, for a very reasonable monthly fee. The fee I pay now compared to what I used to pay is 1/3. And like I said before, the customer service at OnPay is far superior.

Pros

Very user friendly. There are prompts for when I may have made a mistake in my entries, and it has kept me from making those mistakes!

Cons

I have nothing to say about this. I think it's great!

Patricia M.

This will save you a lot of time and money!

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Over the past 9 months that I have used OnPay I have only had positive experiences and I would highly recommend that you check them out and see how much money they can save you too!

Pros

We have had numerous times when we have had a question or we do not where to find something within their system and we can immediately, via their live chat, ask a question and get immediate help.

OnPay is very easy to set up and to use. If you have a question or a problem they will walk you thru the process of what you need to do by giving you clear step by step directions.

On Pay has saved our company money in bookkeeping time for not only the writing of payroll checks to the employees, but the tracking of vacation and sick leave and all of the different tax entities that must be paid each month, quarter or annually.

Cons

So far I haven't found anything that I can say I dislike about the program. If I would change anything it might be to increase the number of companies that they can integrate the time sheets from or maybe create their own.

Valerie D.

Easy and Inexpensive

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Excellent - payroll is now quick and easy. Support staff is extremely helpful.

Pros

It's easy to use - payroll is quick and painless

Cons

If an employee has a one time deduction, you have to dig down into the employee profile to include the deduction and then, once payroll's complete, you have to go back into the employee profile and unclick the deduction; otherwise it will take it again next payroll. You should be able to check a box on the payroll page so you don't have to hop around.

Colin R.

Easy to use with great customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Onpay does make payroll a breeze! It's one of the best returns on an expenditure in my business. The time saved and the psychic energy it frees up makes me very happy!

Pros

Their online portal is easy to use. Once you're set up all the information you need for managing payroll/taxes/pto etc is at your fingertips. My wife and I both have separate companies and I do the payroll for both. I'd been using ADP in my business for 8 years but I started her with Onpay about 16 months ago to give it a shot. I'll be switching my co. to Onpay as of the 1st of the New Year.

Cons

The integration with Quickbooks was a little difficult to find and implement in the beginning. The customer service folks were very helpful but I think that could use a little redesign to make it a little more intuitive and eliminate the need for CS coaching.

Chris L.

Pretty Flawless.

Reviewed on 2017/09/30

Puts me in control of Payroll data entry. Allows multiple pay runs without extra cost. Gives employees access to their payroll records.

Pros

Customer support is great. Any issue or question that I have encountered is addressed almost instantly. I have had terrible experiences with other payroll companies in the past concerning egregious data errors on their end leaving our company to clean up the mess. Onpay puts the onus on the employer to properly enter payroll data and works flawlessly from there. Tax support is quick and helpful.

Cons

There is little to not like. We've only had minor issues with tax reporting that we're promptly addressed by Onpay.

Deborah M.

I have found On Pay easy to use - everything you need is at your fingertips.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

I relieves me of the time it would take and allows me to get on with the day to day running of the business. I do not have the headache of having to calculate payroll, file and pay taxes ect. It is all taken care of. All I have to do is enter the hours and print the reports off. It is easy!

Pros

I like the simplicity of the site. Staff are always at hand instantly and always helpful and resolve any questions I have - nothing is too much trouble. Reports are all there to print off. It allows me to get on running the business and not have to worry about calculating payroll, submitting taxes and filing - it is also worth every penny. Talk about value for money!!! Very happy!

Suzan A.

OnPay has been fantastic for our company. Autodeposit for our staff, easy use for me.

Reviewed on 2017/10/25

auto deposit, and filling of payroll taxes.

Pros

It is easy to use, remembers the last payroll (useful if things do not change much), has good reporting features.

I love that I no longer have to file with the state (the prior person was always doing it incorreclty!)

Cusomter services is topnotch.

Cons

I would really like to print all the paychecks (live and direct deposit) as soon as I finish the payroll.
Since we do direct deposit, it is a second step to go to the page where I can print all the checks.
Seems silly.

Sometimes it is difficult to find where things are... but it is getting better and better.

Samik T.

OnPay Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

Everything is great for price.

Pros

One of the customer support, I interacted many times.

he is awesome, proactive, very helpful and on the top to resolveissues.

Regards,

Sam

Cons

Nothing

6.0/10
Zach S.

Great Company for Payroll

Reviewed on 2019/05/21

Pros

The software is easy to learn and use. You can usually find what you are looking for pretty quickly.

Cons

Only thing I wish could be done is to have some sort of way for employees to sign documents through the software.

Renee C.

Great payroll option for small businesses

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/10/26

Pros

Price - it's very affordable especially for a small business micro managing expenses.
No nickel & dime costs like charging you to mail checks, I simply print them from my own computer. Unlimited payroll runs each month - most companies charge you per payroll run.
Unlimited payroll runs and ability to print your checks in house?

Cons

I have run into a few technical issues over the past 2 years (most recent: invite to a new employee wasn't received) but nothing major.
A bit of a learning curve - some things aren't super intuitive but for me it's nothing that impedes my ability to process payroll semi monthly efficiently.
One time I did have an issue with a tax form not being submitted and required a follow up with OnPay - but they handled the situation and agreed to pay any penalty that might be assessed. Never heard anything more from the state so appeared to have been taken care of and haven't had an issue since.

Tom W.

Extremely happy with my experience so far

Reviewed on 2017/10/26

Pros

I added my first employee a little over a year ago. I looked into mulitple payroll companies and decided to go with OnPay. I am extremely happy with my choice. At this point, I only use them for payroll and it is only one employee, but I know they have additional services that will help me as I continue to grow. The peace of mind knowing they take care of all the taxes has been awesome. When you compare it to QuickBooks Payroll and the fact you pay for the payroll service and then still have to take care of the taxes yourself makes the additional cost of using OnPay a no brainer.
Simplicity and ease of use
Customer support when I have needed it
The fact they take care of all the taxes

Bruno F.

Quick and easy payroll

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Very good, always have help available.

Pros

I find the interface very easy to use, the reports have the information we need and everything works as it should. I appreciate the live chat for quick questions.

Cons

Nothing, everything works as it should .

Cyril C.

OnPay is the best Cloud Based Payroll Software on the Market

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/22

Overall Onpay is really a great product. My only worry is usually payroll companies usually warranty that they will process your payroll correctly. Unlike other payroll companies, OnPay makes the user enter the tax rates into their system which at the end transfers the liability partially back to the user and as a business owner, I do not like that at all.

Pros

The user interface is REALLY well designed.
They have made onboarding recently really easy.
Any questions you have can be quickly addressed with the chat button.

Cons

I have had trouble a couple of times with Tier 1 Tech Support understanding a bug. Took me about a year to get them to fix the issue.

Isaac W.

Great for payroll, doesn't hold your hand

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Pros

It is very easy to get payroll up and running. Additionally, it has a good quickbooks integration, however it doesn't tell you that the quickbooks connection only lasts 30 minutes which is why you have to log in each time. It also has a great user interface and feels very modern and sleek, which is nice to have for payroll.

Cons

The automated filings for things such as UI and WC can get a bit difficult, especially if you have your own coverage. It also doesn't ask you if you already are compliant when you tell it you are a new company. It doesn't need to in order to function, but it would be nice for small companies to have the extra bit of guidance.

7.0/10
Suzanne C.

Great for the small business!

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Pros

We are a small business and were looking for an affordable way to do our payroll. We get a great value for our money. I enter payroll and they do the rest. Even when I've made errors on my side their customer service has always been readily available to work through the issue. We've been using them a few years and year end filings have all been seamless. I highly recommend them.

Cons

I have been using for a few years and have no complaints.