Sawyer

Class management software for kids activity providers

KIMBERLY

Terra Arts is Delighted!

Reviewed on 2021/04/30

I wish you had a PHONE!

I wish you had a PHONE!

Pros

Our customers have very precise needs that have been difficult to handle for our bookkeeper. Even our CPA or QuickBooks expert was not able to satisfy our needs. Our customers sign up with a Nonrefundable Deposit about 6 months before classes begin. We almost always sell out in a couple of weeks of registration opening. Then some pay with a monthly purchase order, but not till class has already begun, and some want to be billed monthly on their Credit Card. This has been a nightmare for us and no bookkeeping system has been able to automate it, give us a roll sheet, contain a database, bill the customer, send statements and receipts, give us a list of accounts receivable, etc! We are delighted! Plus it looks great on our website and our customers believe we have stepped it up a notch! We love the financial reports and we have not really gotten started yet! I think it does so much more!

Cons

The thing we also needed but have not been able to implement in our organization we also have theater performances and we can not figure out how to sell tickets to the shows. We had to put event espresso back on our website to accommodate ticket sales.

Liz

Professional and Productive

Reviewed on 2022/09/26

Excellent! I believe Sawyer sets myself apart from other children's programing in my area, gives a very professional appearance to my customer base and allows me to save a great deal of administrative time.

Pros

The Sawyer system is easy and intuitive for my families as well as for myself as a center director. Easy registration as made a big impact on my ability to bring new families into my program, as well as keep my current customers re-enrolling every new semester. I have been using this exclusively for years, and I've absolutely loved the improvements Sawyer has made. They are open and responsive to their providers, and the customer service is top notch.

Cons

I would absolutely love to see the Sawyer Marketplace grow within my local area, in the suburbs of Houston, TX. I believe it would be an excellent resource for parents in our massive metropolitan area, and would be a more effective tool in promoting new business for my program. The membership function is excellent, however I personally haven't figured out to make it work for my program. I would also love to have more creative and expansive email options- such as tags and targeting marketing email features. Also, a way to easily generate a birthday report for children.

Main Street Sites

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

The ease of use, design, and general efficiency of Sawyer. The majority of other center directors in my business (Music Together) use Main Street Sites, and I feel like Sawyer has much more to offer and is more attractive to modern parents.
Michael

I wanted to love it.

Reviewed on 2021/03/06

It took me a while to come on board with this company. Their management is truly a money driven experience. You can feel it from any company from major corporations to small biz. The way they address their clients and the way they are deeply out for information (emails of their clients', clients) - they are even sneaky about it.

I express my utter discontent with the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the response was, thanks for giving us a try. Not, let's make it right. I've been in business for 15 years and received the most outlandish, crazy complaints, my customer is always right. Always.

This particular company is completely disappointing because I really want to love it and ..... it isn't good deep down to it's core.

Pros

It looks great.

That's really it...really, that's the selling point it's all downhill from there.

Cons

The widget slows your website down dramatically and the problem has existed for a long time.

Customer Service is the major negative with this platform.
They are set in their ways and will do absolutely nothing beyond their initial intentions.
There are many other platforms that will customize your experience, and they are nice. Which is great.

Cost - You can save $125 a month with multiple other companies.

Your clients must sign up for sawyer before even seeing what you have to offer. They are absolutely hungry for your users information.

Response from Sawyer

Hi Michael,
I am so sorry that you had a less than stellar experience at Sawyer, that is never our intent nor our goal. We continue to evolve our products because of feedback like this and would love to connect on how we can improve if you're open to it.

Let us know if you have time to hop on a call to review!

Heather

Sawyer should be the "GO TO" software for running summer camps and classes

Reviewed on 2021/04/25

Being brand new to teaching summer camps and kids' classes I am grateful to have found Sawyer. They help me to present my brand professionally and they are affordable.

Pros

It's very easy to use and minimal learning curve. I launched a summer camp for kids and was figuring it out as I went. Sawyer made that easier for me because they had everything in place already including things I hadn't even thought of. Sawyer had all the features I needed and they continue to add more, especially when the pandemic hit and businesses needed to pivot to online classes. Their onboarding couldn't have been easier. Their front-end AND back-end interfaces are modern and "Apple-like" making it easy for me as well as users. The other softwares I tested were outdated and extremely clunky. Their customer service is very helpful.

Cons

I've used the software for going on 2 summers now and I cannot think of anything I don't like.
Oh, I wish I was able to embed my Registration page on my website myself but Saywer does it quickly so really not a big deal to me.

UltraCamp

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

Ease of use, "Apple-like" interface, pricing, customer service
Dara

Highly recommend Sawyer

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

I’ve really liked using Sawyer and how easy it is not just for me to use but my customers as well.

Pros

I really like how Sawyer has great customer and created a product that reflects how they listen to their clients’ needs.

Cons

So far I haven’t had any issues. I like that they recently added monthly pricing, which made it easier for me to offer the pricing structure I wanted.

Eventbrite and Camp & Class Manager

Reasons for Choosing Sawyer

Sawyer was easier to setup and use, especially since they work directly with new clients over the phone and are very hands-on in helping setup and train in using it. Also the visual design of their site is easier to navigate saving me time.

CourseStorm

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

For the same reason I chose them over CourseStorm, and because they offer the type of registration pricing types I want for my courses.
Karen

Sawyer Product Review 2020

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

Its been great overall. Very happy

Its been great overall. Very happy

Pros

Marketplace, Easy to use/train employees, design, customer service/tech support, form fields, messaging system, coupons, pivot to online learning was incredible and easy!

Cons

Stripe takes too long for deposits, inablilty to copy semesters so it takes a long time to set up new ones, would love to be able to attach files in roster emails

Mindbody

Reasons for Choosing Sawyer

No marketing, website integration and overall outdated program.

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

I liked the software, design and customer service is what really sold me.
Aaliyah

We enjoy using Sawyer

Reviewed on 2022/09/27

We have been able to truly retain our clients due to the software being easy to use.

Pros

Sawyer is so easy to use compared to the software that we left. Viewing of the software is clean and straight forward. We do wish that there was app for both us and the consumer to use to sign up and cancel classes out.

Cons

We wish that there was app for both us and the consumer to use to sign up and cancel classes out. We also hope that clients will be able to cancel out class themselves

Michelle

Sawyer Tools for family

Reviewed on 2021/04/27

The customer service is great- my clients would really appreciate an app to register though.

Pros

Customer service, combination of this platform used with others like mail chimp and banking .

Cons

Some of my classes are for adults only and that can be cumbersome to register when they are already set up for their children.

Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

Because I work with families and I like that a fee is only taken if I sell something and the payout frequency is great as well.
ROBERT
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Perfect for all your needs

Reviewed on 2021/07/30

Amazing!

Amazing!

Pros

This is the most user-friendly, easy to use and learn software that I have ever used! Super easy to set up and use daily! Your customers will love it! Customer service is amazing! like honestly, the best ever! I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Sawyer!

Cons

I like everything! You got a lot for the money!

Pike13, Acuity Scheduling and Schedulicity

Reasons for Choosing Sawyer

Needed a more efficient software (database). Too many issues with mindbody and not user friendly!

Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

Sayer was the most robust package! Was the most user friend and intuitive one of them all! The ease of use and customer service is what sold me!
Scott
Scott

Chefsville

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

I am still developing our relationship with Sawyer. Can't say that I am able to give any fair opinion of the overall experience at this time.

Pros

Its ease of use. Many concepts make sense. To be able to assign teachers and increase parent communication. *** Please add ability to attach files *** and please *** update your form software for custom forms - it is terrible right now ***

Cons

This summer Chefsville had over 30 camps. The normal training schedule for Sawyer didn't allow for us being out working those camps so getting trained was twice as hard for Mollie.

We actually had to test, play and figure it out until she advised us and we could follow.

I still have no idea of what an acknowledgement/registration confirmation e-mail looks like and have customers calling me asking when there next payment is due and what dates our programs are.

I have a great email that I use, but I can't use that when I am trusting your software to do it along with payment receipt.

We still are not trained and know that your software does more than what we know. Mollie has been out and schools started for us this week. So we are having to scramble to find information.

We still need help with our form, our form asks several questions that your profile automatically does. I need to find where and how to get this information, change our form so it asks only one time.

Website Widget - we have no control of it! I had to figure out the coding to modify the short code to show Semesters and not camps. I did ask for help, but by the time customer service got to me, many people passed our programs over because they couldn't see how to register by changing "Camps" to "Semesters". I think your clients need to have more controls on their WordPress.

Sarah

LOVE Sawyer, huge improvement over MindBody

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Pros

Sawyer's customer service is stellar, they always respond quickly and usually are able to address the issue within a day or so.

The interface is user-friendly, both on the admin backside as well as for the parents looking for classes.

I appreciate that it looks good embedded in my website, and that each activity has an option of a direct link.

Cons

There are a few spots where I can't customize as much as I need. Particularly around summer camps.

Heather
  • Industry: Fine Art

Customized for our unique small business

Reviewed on 2019/08/03

Sawyer gave us the ability to go fully online with registration, attendance and is a great tool as a small business owner to help guide payroll and organize my clients.

Pros

Ease of use on the backend. Easily customize classes, coupons, view live registration in multiple locations on my phone, tablet, or laptop.

Cons

Some less than tech-savvy parents find it hard to navigate to register.
Tracking financials could be clearer.

Samantha

Brava to Sawyer!

Reviewed on 2021/04/26

Great experience! Brava!

Great experience! Brava!

Pros

Easy to set up. Easy to have individual functionality / details for variety of end services (can set different price-points, days, add-ons, discounts, etc for various camps, classes, events -- while also building on common components like activity-description). Integration into website is great. Customer service excellent and continued improvements much valued. Marketplace exposure is great!

Cons

The bookings / orders feature is a little limited in not displaying current enrolled activities for families who have made changes to their registrations.

Janine
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Wish Sawyer had the same features for adults...

Reviewed on 2022/01/28

Well I'm terribly frustrated I'm also very grateful because I needed something quick and I was not able to pay a web designer to develop this deep of the system. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship to it, I want more features for adults and I want more flexibility in general.

Pros

Because I was not a web designer and didn't have backend experience, I needed a platform that I could basically input information into, I wish however it was more customizable. I also was drawn to Sawyer because I wanted to create memberships as well as classes and this gave me the opportunity to do both.

Cons

There are more things I dislike them like unfortunately. Some of them small like wishing I could customize the color other than red, some of them huge in that the forms are rigid meaning I can't have a different form intake for a member from my students. I need more flexibility and options for my businesses I was hoping everything could live under one umbrella. I find it almost impossible to navigate and find things with ease, it is not user friendly and various features are buried inside other futures and I'm constantly going back and forth trying to find things. I get super frustrated with having to pull up FAQs and directives online. The window doesn't stay open when you move from one area of the website to another so I constantly have to keep it searching for the same information. Some days it's brutal and I feel like I spend way too much time on this program.

Jessica

Excellent Customer Service & Platform

Reviewed on 2021/04/26

We LOVE Sawyer tools to help streamline our registration needs and enrollment. We have access to easily upload our camp forms, medical forms, and easily disseminate information to our families. This is a very caring company that really cares about their customers. They even sent flowers when they found out we had a newborn. Your aren't just a number to this company, but part of their family. Very user friendly, competitive and inexpensive pricing structure compared to other processing out there.

Pros

I love that parents have a username and password that saves their information and helps them easily sign up for future events quickly and efficiently. Easy to collect payment and quick deposit times. Love the attendance feature and how quickly I can assign users so they have access to all medical information.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to set up classes . But once I got the hang of it I found this software to be great.

• Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

The Sawyer support team has been very helpful to me, especially in recent times. While I wish there were less technical issues, I still plan to stay with Sawyer for the forseeable future.

Pros

I like the simplicty of the software and the easy navigability. I also appreciate the ease of making payments. The quick pay feature can be a lifesend for unique billing situations. In addition, Sawyer has an active directory listing. We've gotten a number of new clients this way who have become committed customers.

The group development meetings have been helpful, along with the additional office hours with both the front-end and back-end teams. I've gotten much better results from Sawyer when I've been able to communicate with people directly about my issues.

Cons

The main issue I have is the frequency of bugs in the system. I've had many bugs appear on Sawyer such as difficulties logging in, glitches in payment processing (thankfully no double payments have been made though), glitches in changing pre-existing schedules, glitches in viewing reviews, and more.

I also wish the Sawyer software could be more automated and more easily integrated into other services. We have to recreate a lot of inforamtion from Sawyer events such as Google Calendar events, payment reminders, and automated emails because these features are not fully included. It creates extra effort on our part that I would prefer to avoid.

Lauren
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Limited support when problem arose, very basic functions

Reviewed on 2022/03/01

Not the best start so far. I'm hoping things get better and more functions will be added soon.

Pros

The software is easy for customers to use. It has a clean look and the widgets are nice on our website. I don't have much to compare to but putting the program into place was relatively easy.

Cons

The tech support available is limited. Contact is only through email. We also do not have direct access to Stripe, the third party credit card processor, you have to go through Sawyer with questions/concerns. This was a huge issue when our Stripe account was disabled due to bank verification needed. There was no notice given to submit the verification and even after I submitted the requested documentation (right away) we didn't receive our payouts for over a week. We were owed over 21k! There was very little explanation given as to why it took so long to get our payouts and I had to really push to get information. It was beyond frustrating and the situation was not handled well. I've also had to initiate follow up with other questions/issues since going live with the widget.

Other things to note - the sales rep did not accurately convey the functions available. You cannot view all classes in one perspective or edit them all at once, which is time consuming when creating classes, you need to check for errors, or make edits. The reports are limited in their customization. You also cannot schedule emails or email contacts that are not enrolled in classes.

Marisol
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Big help to a small business

Reviewed on 2021/04/30

Overall I am satisfied with the program. It’s more affordable than hiring someone to do the enrollment for me and saves me a lot of time

Pros

My favorite thing is that all payments are made through the program and reminders are automatically sent out for payments due. I haven’t had to make that phone call to a parent all year! I also like how fast the transfers are made into my bank account when payments are received

Cons

Navigation through the back end gets better with practice but it’s still a bit clunky. I find myself having to hit the back arrow a lot. A very specific-to-me feature I would love to see is a space to upload the voucher from the schools. Some of the classes that i offer are covered by charter school funds which each parent has to request from their school. If I could upload the voucher, or just an image of it or even a check box so that I could see in one place which parents have their class paid for already, I wouldn’t have to cross reference everything and it would be a big help

Emily
  • Industry: Music

Sawyer for music & movement classes

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Registration using Sawyer has become so much easier with this program! I cannot tell you how many softwares I tried before finding Sawyer and nothing worked. When I had my initial call it was almost too good to be true! The functionality has taken a lot of the pain and frustration out of the registration process and I really enjoy using the software.

Pros

From the very first time I reached out to Sawyer for an initial phone call, their team has been nothing but helpful, incredibly responsive, and easy to work with. I offer music/movement classes and find it helpful to see the full calendar in upcoming mode. Sawyer integrates well with my website, and parents (for the most part) have not had any issues registering for classes. Enjoy have a month to month payment option, too! As a small business that is just getting started I appreciate the flexible pricing and all of the support from the Sawyer staff!

Cons

The ability to customize a bit more would be nice. Software is probably great for a traditional run school/daycare program/summer camp, however my weekly music class program I find areas that I wish I had a workaround or option in the software to make registration easier for my parents. It would be helpful if the tabs could be changed to fit the names of my classes, as well as the ability to have people use class packs without there being a drop in fee associated. These things might just be specific to my program though!

Marie
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Excellent software for setting up classes and registration

Reviewed on 2022/02/08

Excellent. I am very appreciative of the software.

Excellent. I am very appreciative of the software.

Pros

I started a new business this school year, and I am very pleased with the ease of use and tools available to me through the Sawyer system. It has been remarkable!

Cons

The hardest part is not having quick access to a live person when I am having an issue that is not on your training rubric. When money is involved, the anxiety gets high. So, having customer service people we may actually talk to would be my biggest hope. Or not waiting 24 hours for a response for help.

Kristin
  • Industry: Sports

Didn’t work for us

Reviewed on 2022/02/04

My overall experience was not good. The learning curve was too long and steep. And that wasn’t completely the fault of Sawyer. I took over, rather I was thrown head first into, running the barn. So nothing had been defined. I had to define every aspect of the program and the same time as I was hiring people and learning the business. Now that I have been running the business for a year, I am more comfortable with it but Sawyer still wouldn’t be the best option for us.
I also had a lot of trouble getting help.

Pros

I didn’t like anything about it. I liked the “promise” that it could be amazing. But the implementation was too cumbersome for us

Cons

It was confusing, it wasn’t self explanatory. It was cumbersome. Setting up new classes and camps for a new “semester” was tedious. There was no option to do the same as the current semester and change the dates.
I think this was the biggest draw back for me. My classes are the same from semester to semester, so to have to enter them all manually each time was a huge pain in the ass.

Response from Sawyer

Hi Kristin,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Sawyer. Being thrown into an experience, as it seems like you were, is never easy especially learning new software. I know our team tried working with you directly to remedy these issues but ultimately you made the decision to cancel your services in August 2021. We would love another opportunity to support your needs and hope you give us a chance to improve your experience working with Sawyer.

DeMarcus

Great, but not Excellent

Reviewed on 2018/08/10

I thought the onboarding with Sawyer was smooth and the team was enthusiastic to support our transition into the software. While the service is pretty great, and our support person has been receptive to our needs, it does not seem that Sawyer is able to make adaptive changes based on the customer's needs. I say this with the assumption that organizations similar to ours (in terms of services offered and size of customer base) have similar- if not the same- needs as ours.

Pros

What I like most about the Sawyer software is that it suits the needs of a robust program like ours in that it provides seamless attendance tracking , easy student and parent information maintenance, as well as accessible finance reporting.

Cons

I would say opportunities for Sawyer to improve its program is to make it feasible for prerequisites classes to be offered individually. Also, when reporting, the dates of transactions aren't visible which is helpful for our record keeping. Lastly, there isn't a comprehensive database feature in which one can view the entire enrollment list at a glance.

Loren
  • Used for 1+ year

Easy to implement, high credit card percentage

Reviewed on 2020/07/19

Pros

Very easy to use, excellent customer support

Cons

High credit card rate compared to other option

TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to Sawyer

Excellent customer service, ease of use

Response from Sawyer

Thank you so much for your review and kind words about our customer success team! We pride ourselves on a delightful user experience and easy to use product and appreciate the high marks on quality, support, and features. We currently use Stripe as our payment processing vendor which has standard rates of 2.9%+.30 per transaction. Sawyer does work with all types of educational providers to offer flexible pricing options that meet the needs of their specific industry and business. While we don't have control over the credit card processing rates, we hope that our customers do see the value of the software and product that we have built at Sawyer.

Katie

Beautiful with potential

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

I really love it, the team has been wonderful and I have recommended the program because it is great and can become better.

Pros

It's beautiful, intuitive for parent to use, modular so it can be used effectively semester after semester.

Cons

I love Sawyer but a few things I'd love to see (and I'd pay more for) are:
Payment plans applied to cart, not individual activities.
Data management and sorting ability in Sawyer instead of having to export data then sorting it.
Easier way to communicate (email) contacts in bulk through Sawyer.
The field "grades" should be included in addition to age since more schools are using the program.
Pages load super slow because it's so beautiful, maybe have a mode where it isn't so pretty for admin so we can work (create activities, schedule, and finances) faster.

Joanie
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Sawyer is smart and user friendly.

Reviewed on 2022/09/15

I am delighted with Sawyer! It is so easy to use. I am able to spend my time focusing on my work and have the peace of mind that administration is handled swiftly, thoroughly and professionally.

Pros

Sawyer is so user friendly. Even for those that are less tech savvy than others. The customer service and tech support are top notch and prompt to answer any questions.

Cons

I have not been able to attend any of the online workshops because I have always been working when they occur.