Document Control

Cloud-based healthcare & laboratory document control system

4,4
4,5
4,3
4,1
4,5
Bertrand B.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

MediaLab is a great product for document control, it can be cumbersome to move around the documents.

Reviewed on 2018/05/23

inspection proofing for all of our inspections as well as the ability to hold and maintain numerous policies and procedures.

Pros

I like that the software is able to maintain the hundreds of policies and procedures our hospital laboratory has to maintain. One of the best features is the CAP Inspection readiness, this has often kept us in line with what our inspectors are looking for.

Cons

I dislike the clunkiness of the software, it can be cumbersome to move procedures around manuals, its difficult to remove from one manual and place in another. Linking procedures is often difficult and some times time consuming as well.

Zane A.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy, Practical and Customizable Electronic Document Management System at a Great Value

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

We have been transitioning from an older system using word documents kept in a secure drive. MediaLab has offered the ability to collaborate on document revisions, securely track document changes, and feel more assured that only the most current version of each document is in use. We can also see at-a-glance what documents exist as approved, in-review or needing update and can see usage reports to know which are most valuable. Feedback from custom quiz success rates allows us to improve how documents (or quizzes) are written. The system also allows for remote access, which is essential to making it available wherever you are that has internet connectivity.

Pros

MediaLab is an easy-to-learn and robust, yet simple-to-use and maintain electronic document management system. It simplifies the document control process and allows users a variety of paths to manage their laboratory documents, including policies, processes and procedures, forms references and much more. The user interface is intuitive, and allows users to quickly access the information that they need through searchable documents. The software keeps track of previous document versions and actions, optionally allows the printing of controlled copies and makes document approval and review a snap. There is also an option to generate customizable quizzes that can be used to verify personnel have read the salient points of each new or revised document and this can double in its use as a part of competency assessment. Site management is also intuitive and comes with extensive accessible help for those with minimal background in website management. The downloadable back-ups are invaluable. The customer service has been outstanding! If you need an easy-to-use, practical and customizable electronic document management system at a great value, I highly recommend this product.

Cons

Nothing! If I had one wish for this product, it would be to expand its functionality with portable tablet devices. That could make it even easier to keep at the testing bench.

Heather W.

Overall, positive. Becoming more proficient as I become more familiar.

Reviewed on 2018/05/24

Pros

Inspection proof: I like that our CAP checklist is imported and it is easy to link procedures to it. We will see how good it is during our upcoming CAP inspection. This will be our first inspection using Media Lab software.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve with this product. There are some features "hidden" in places that don't seem logical to me. The interface is a little "old school" looking, but maybe that's why it's so cheap. I don't even know where to begin with Compass.

Kris A.

Very satisfied user!

Reviewed on 2016/06/10

I have used several Document Management systems. This is by far the easiest to use. I meets all our regulatory requirements. The support in both setting up the system and ongoing has been wonderful. Any requests have been quickly dealt with. Also, they are very open to suggested changes. We have been so pleased with the Document Management system and are now adding on additional programs, such as Compass and Inspection Proof

Pros

You really can't make a mistake in using the system. I particularly like that you can assign users to review the documents and track their usage. Also, it's very easy to send comments back and for to users, for example if a change is requested or a typo is noted. We have staff that are not the best at using computers and this program has been very easy for them to use.
We feel that for the first time that our documents are usable, accurate and great tool to train our staff to.

Cons

No Cons at all. Just recommend taking the time to write and format your documents prior to checking them into the system. This will make the process much smoother.

Heather F.
Industry: Biotechnology

We are a small to medium business, and this solution fits our needs perfectly.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

MediaLab Document Control allows EyeKor the flexibility it needs for reviewing, approving, assigning, tracking, approving controlled documents. It fits seamlessly within our existing systems.

Pros

This is an affordable, versatile solution, that aids in keeping all training documentation in compliance. EyeKor uses it to approve training documentation, SOPs, and manage project specific training. It manages all sizes of groups that needs training with easy and the needed flexibility for our company.

Cons

Sometimes there are too many ways to do things, or options to do things are buried too deep. I do not like that I can not require training on minor versions of documents. Many documents I receive externally, I cannot determine how they number, and then numbering on the document does not match the MediaLab number.

Industry: Hospital & Health Care

I utilize MediaLab's Document Control software at my laboratory to ensure compliance with CAP regs.

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

It ensures compliance with industry standard practices and regulations.

Pros

The ease of use and comprehensive approach it takes to document control makes the software easy to use and easy to stay in compliance. We also use its sign off features for our off-site Laboratory Director to sign and approve documents quickly.

Cons

I wish the software allowed digital signatures to be applied to uploaded documents rather than just the summary sheet.

Lee S.

5 x implementer of MediaLab in the US

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

I have nothing but superb interactions and an even better experience with Medialab

Pros

Medialab Inc. is a robust and easy to implement product that helps immensely with compliance and competency. It has become an invaluable tool in the labs I have managed.

Cons

The only down fall is the like of a fully functional mobile app, this would help in the transition to tablets or ipads in the lab.

Deean J.

BEST THING EVER!

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

As the site administrator for our laboratory, this has been the best thing ever to be able to organize and control all of our documents.

Pros

Easy to use and understand. Employees find it easy, too.

Cons

There is nothing about this MediaLab Document control product I'm unhappy with.

Theresa B.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

My opinion on medialab experience

Reviewed on 2018/11/17

I have had good help from the company, but I think a couple of days with one of one together at your lab/site would be much more helpful for a small lab like I have.

Pros

I like that it is a good system for the price and aids in regulatory requirements for doc control

Cons

I am learning this system on my own and don't have a lot of time to devote to it and learn it all in one sitting. It is not as simple to set up as I thought it would be.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

It's like switching from an analog watch to a digital watch. Great tool for any lab.

Reviewed on 2018/05/24

Pros

The ability to digitally store, manage, and keep track of your manuals and forms is WAY better than the old method with paper. There are multiple options on editing and modifying a document. No more are the days where you need to hound your lab director, supervisor, or employees to sign a document. The software will remind that person daily and there is a comment box that will inform what changes have been made to the document. You can also link the CAP inspection checklist to the manual so inspectors have an easier time finding the checklist item in question.

Cons

There is a learning curve to understanding and using the software. Still learning different functionalities of the software as I continually update my manual.

Christine M.
Industry: Medical Devices

MediaLab is easy to use & contacting MediaLab personnel is simple. It lacks additional functionality

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Benefits include ability to easily pull reports, make changes quickly, assign training and enter documents for training without problems, and navigating the system with ease. However, because we are using the system for training only, it has its limitations.

Pros

Note: Our company uses MediaLab for training only, not document control
- Easy navigation of system (straightforward on how to train on documents)
- Easy to input information (personnel information, documents)
- Customer response is quick
- Having the functionality to assign Group Supervisors and assign special employee signoffs
- Great traceability within the system (change history for users and for permission changes)

Cons

Note: Our company uses MediaLab for training only, not document control
- Unable to customize reports (would like to pull reports within specific dates (not full list), list of personnel with their assigned manuals)
-Unable to customize due dates for Performing Employee signoff (we have different requirements for PE
- Assigned dates are incorrect (since we are using the software for training only, it has been problematic that when a document with a minor revision is signed off, the assigned date is changed to the signoff date - our metrics for training compliance is signoff date minus assigned date so we have inaccuracies in our data)

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

David K.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

MediaLab has been transformative. It has enabled me to better oversee document control.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Before using MediaLab we struggled constantly to manage the hundreds of policies and procedures in our lab. MediaLab has allowed me as the laboratory director to more easily review, edit, and approve all documents. It has also allowed me create more consistent documents in terms of formatting across all areas of the lab. Instead of using copies of copies of copies of forms or worksheets, we now have these in MediaLab, so there is no excuse not to have professional-appearing forms at all times.

Pros

Ease of use with regard to using Microsoft Word to create and edit procedures and policies. Customer service has also been exceptional.

Cons

There are some features I would like to see added, e.g., intradocument hyperlinks and the ability for me as a director to more easily convert from minor revision to major revision.

Amer A.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great document control software; easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Overall, MediaLab LDC has been GREAT! We went from using an extremely buggy and unreliable SharePoint document control system to one that is seamless to use with excellent tracking capabilities, easy to upload, update and manage laboratory and personnel documents. Would highly recommend MediaLab to any laboratory especially accredited facilities.

Pros

It's easy to use and provides excellent reporting functions. Updating and uploading documents is seamless and tracking functionality is second to none.

Cons

Receive too many emails from database which leads to ignoring of important messages. Some aspects are not as easy to use as others and this is true of the personnel documentation section.

Jennifer T.

This is the best document control system that I have ever used for a laboratory.

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

This product simplified the review and approval process, and made true document control a reality.

Pros

Tracking of revisions and approvals is simplified by far. You can always look up retired documents for retrospective review, changes are tracked and highlighted for quick review, as are all levels of review and approvals. It's easy to get to one's to do list, and the system can be set up to send emails when there are actions for you to take.

Cons

Can't think of anything that I don't like. The vendor is responsive to requests for changes. When we have asked for changes, they have been implemented in a fairly quick timeline.

Delanda B.
Industry: Medical Practice

Overall the experience with MediaLab have been very informative

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

The experience has been great.We use the software on a daily basis. The software helps streamline the workflow of the organization and it keeps our documents in a centralized location. Employees are able to use the current version of each document. Assigning documents by groups and individual employees is also a great benefit of this system. Being able to assign compency test so Scientists and other staff members can stay informed and current is also a great benefit.

Pros

Overall, I like the system. I enjoy assigning users to review important documents. I like the assessment field and continuing education. The system helps our company with retrieving and maintaining documents.

Cons

Too many screens and it is not easy to toggle back and forth. The Help menu is also hard to get the information that you are researching.

Rezvaneh P.

Medialab Document Control

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

I am saving a lot of time using document control. By using Medialab document control feature, I know that my employees sign off on all documents as soon as they are approved and I can keep records of their activities.
Also, the fee is comparable to other software out there.

Pros

It is user friendly at most parts. Easy to upload documents and start approval process. Easy for biennial review. Reminders for different due dates helps employees. Helps getting ready for inspection via inspection proof.

Cons

Giving permissions to employees and group of employees have been a challenge for me. Also, I have problem giving permission to the Managers for biennial review of their department procedure manual.

Terri P.

LOVE Media lab!

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

All around excellent experience with Media Lab.

Pros

Really easy to maintain compliance to CAP Document Control standards. Easy to use, track, generate reports, make assignments, etc, and would highly recommend to any laboratory without electronic Document Control!

Cons

The front end uploading of all SOPs took a bit of time, but once the manuals are organized, it makes maintenance and compliance a breeze. They also offer "Inspection Proof" which is a MUST HAVE for any lab inspected by CAP.

Reid H.

MediaLab is great for document control, continuing education, and readiness for inspections!

Reviewed on 2018/05/23

Pros

For the money, you can't beat MediaLab!
I like that it was developed by lab professionals instead of some

Cons

I don't like the limitations with other browsers. You pretty much have to use IE for best results
I don't like the way they handle customer support. I prefer talking with someone on the phone over email.
I don't care for the way you cant just click on a line on a document; It is an image. If you want to click on the actual document, you have to download it for editing.

Chris B.

Good for the Price

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

For us it solved the day to day grind of so much work on paper. One person was responsible for thousands of documents and the changes, so things would fall behind or get lost. We may still fall behind but it is due to lack of time to properly review a document and wanting to wait until we have enough time and can give it some thought.

Pros

It was easy to upload existing documents and treat them just like a manual on paper.

Cons

It can get complicated making workflows and dealing with Divisions. The sharing of documents can be confusing.

Roland F.

I use the software extensively to train our students and CLS staff

Reviewed on 2018/05/24

Pros

The courses offered are comprehensive and excellent quality. We are a teaching hospital and we train CLS students in our laboratory, the ability to create our own custom courses thru Coursebuilder is a great tool for teaching.

Cons

Website navigation is not intuitive. It takes familiarity with the software to find information. We use Document Control for our procedures and it is not that easy to search a topic or procedure. Layout is confusing sometimes.

Kathy H.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Media Lab has worked out well for our needs.

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

We are required to have document control and this serves our needs very well.

Pros

It is easy to download, revise and upload procedures. Inspection Proof is an enormous help with our inspections. We can just sit the inspectors down with a computer and this covers most our inspection because it is very easy for them to go through their checklist from there.

Cons

Sometimes the help tips do not cover what I need to know, even though it seems to me that it should be there.

Samantha B.
Industry: Biotechnology

Makes document control easy

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

The system has been easy for the staff to learn and controlled permissions provide document security. I also like the fact that all your company SOPs and worksheets are in one place!

Pros

Ability to organize the documents for easy retrieval by staff. Also the ability to keep up with timely review of documents so as to maintain compliance.

Cons

Sometimes hard to find how to control permissions and access. Can usually find it, but sometimes takes a while to get it right.

James W.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I do several sections, Safety, Point of Care and sign off of Dept manual/doc for the entire system

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

An entire easy to use document control systems that simplifies the process and makes usable.

Pros

How simple it is to update a policy and get it sign off. Reminders for updates. Minor vs major revision to help speed up the review process. Easy access to documents and manuals. Validation of sign offs by pathologists and reviewers

Cons

Too many Staff notifications for policy review - however part of that is due to staff not reviewing when they should

Terry W.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Very useful once you figure it out.

Reviewed on 2018/05/30

I really gives new employees easy access to procedures.

Pros

Great for inspections and documentation. We allow inspectors to look at the manuals. Inspection proof is also a very good product. It minimizes the time they have to search for documents.

Cons

Not the easiest software to navigate. The learning curve in my case was not to steep! Some changes to the icons might be helpful especially for us old dudes.....

Angela M.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Media Lab is very user friendly

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

We use the document control, continuing education, and inspection proof

Pros

I like that it has a variety of functionality (i.e. document control, continuing education, competency, inspection proof).

Cons

We are a healthcare system and some of the functionality with the document control process does not lend itself easily to a system approach. Multiple facilities with multiple medical directors with the same policies.