WebTitan Reviews

WebTitan

DNS-based web content filtering & malware protection

4.5/5 (192 reviews)

Effective, Inexpensive, and Relatively Easy to Use.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Reduced spam, reduced viruses. User-controlled management of spam.

Pros

It does a good job of blocking spam and malicious content. The customized emails that can go out to individual users makes management so much easier. The support, when needed, is very good and very responsive; with what seems to be domestic resources to assist.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that there is not a "greylisting" override. Specifically, when a mail is expected, but is the first time being received by a specific email address, you need to wait upwards of 10 minutes (depending on the other party's server settings). I wish there was some sort of queue or override to get around this without disabling the feature.

Brian M.

WebTitan is a great product for companies that want very granular control over user web filtering

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

It fits all of my needs for web filtering across my organization

Pros

I have incredible control over my users' web filtering and great reports that can be automatically generated and delivered. It's fairly easy to use from an administrative perspective and provides great flexibility. I currently have 350 seats over 4 offices with each office having slightly different web filtering needs and I have no problem accomplishing it with WebTitan.

Cons

They don't really put out many software updates. I think the last one was from 9 months ago, now. They do keep up with definitions for categorizing websites, but actual software enhancements do not get pushed out very often.

Very easy to setup. Catches a LOT of spam.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

The benefits from this software are in the thousands. About 1000 less emails per day. We block about another 3000+ per day before they even make it to the site. However, we also see that SpamTitan is blocking about 2-3 viruses per week. No matter how much protection you have, it is not enough. Spam Titan helps us with protecting our site from Ransomware/Viruses, and in general waste of time going through all of the banking errors of the United Bank of Africa.

Pros

The amount of spam stopped. It can be configured to work on a SHARED IP hosting with cPanel. I would have to lookup the rule I created, but it helps stop spam emails that originate from the server itself.

Cons

It is not possible to Blacklist TLD's. I have used the local vmWare version, it has a lot more customization settings. That is both good and bad, in that anything you have to adjust takes time, but it gives you better control.

Michael K.

Solid product that has the functionality we need to keep the bad stuff out.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Easy to use, yet does a great job in stopping most of the bad stuff through.

Pros

The level of protection against the bad emails that are floating around. The software is easy to use and configure based on what our evolving needs are. Over the years of use, I'm happy we made the switch from the previous software to Spam Titan.

Cons

I found that the factory defaults were perhaps a little too restrictive to begin with, which resulted in some false positives. However, tweaking the threshold values was relatively easy in order to make the false positives disappear and get the emails we wanted to receive.

Muhammad S.

Web Titanic

Reviewed on 2018/09/23

Pros

Its a great SAAS proxy server.
You can allow and block website base on their types.
You can whitelist some domain so they never get blocked if they are under blocked category.
You can Blacklist some domain so they are always blocked if not included in blocked category.
You can add role based user for management.
I really like creating and installing Certificate to by pass or allow traffic for specific period of time. It make management so easy.
I really like the alert functionality that can notify you if someone tries to access restricted websites

Cons

It doesn't provide any feature to disable addon on browser, so user can bypass it by installing vpn plugin.
They doesn't provide any support to integrate Certificate with MSP like Kaseya, so if you have big network, its very difficult to install certificate on each endpoint using conventional way.
You cannot add more than one email in notification.

Gregory B.

We used it as our proxy server and it was helpful in looking at useless traffic.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

A web proxy is a 'must have' piece of IT infrastructure today.

Pros

Fairly easy to use - the interface is ok and similar to SPAMTitan. We were very satisfied with SPAMTitan and so we also then went with WebTitan. Both products are still being employed today. Because of WebTitan we banned music streaming which was killing Internet bandwidth.

Cons

Not so much a complaint but observation: there has not been any update to the product in a long time. This may in fact be a good thing, but i wonder if also it might be a lack of commitment? The same is true for SPAMTitan.

Derek A.

Easy to use, works well!

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

WebTitan has provided us with a stable web filtering platform that has worked well for us for many years. We feel comfortable that it is blocking and restricting as we have configured it to do so.

Pros

WebTitan is fairly easy to setup. It is available as a cloud based solution or on prem. You can get as simple or as complicated with your filtering as you like, it will handle most situations with ease.

Cons

There are still some issues with mis-classified sites being blocked when they should not be. The web interface could be updated a bit and organized a little better.

We have been using WebTitan for 4 years now, it works and the customer support is good

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

The product helped us filter out dangerous websites and keep our workstations virus free.

Pros

It's easy to install and configure. Administering it is an easy task, as you can generate reports and make change very fast and easy. The customer support team responds very quickly to your service requests and is quite knowledgeable.

Cons

We had a physical problem with our server and we had to reinstall on a new machine. Backups from v4 were not compatible with v5 of the software, so we had to reconfigure the webtitan instace manually from scratch.

Sobek S.

Once set up all is working as it should.

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

A great web filter. It keeps our network safe from threats. We get blocking done to anything that can cause damage or anything that may be inappropriate.

Pros

Good experience from end to end. The Sales and Engineers went above and beyond to support implementation and set up.

Cons

Not quite as easy to set up as we'd like, but certainly well done once you get it going. The impressive platform, technology, and support services, alongside being Cloud-based and with an excellent roadmap for innovation. We would have no hesitation in recommending to other companies.

Bradley T.

Great Product - Easy to implement!

Reviewed on 2019/07/08

So far, for the price, the software has exceeded our expectations. We have already implemented the remote agents to over 100 machines.

Pros

I love the ability to utilize the remote agent to allow computers to stay under our company's web-filter policy while working remotely.

Cons

The only thing that we dislike so far is the fact that it can sometimes take hours for the policy changes to take effect.

Anthony W.

Excellent easy to use product, top of the pool

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Secured public access control to internet, blocking unwanted and in appropriate websites.

Pros

It is a set it and forget it SAAS. Deployed for our guest/visitor internet access. Simply works very well, bad and good sites are categorized quickly and access is secured. All for a very good price. Far less than Cisco. Support and Setup were very responsive.

Cons

NONE, it does exactly what we need it to do. It is not free. We have not deployed all features, so I cannot attest to those.

Response from TitanHQ

Anthony,
Thank you kindly for your 5 star review of WebTitan.

One of the major strengths of WebTitan is in securing public wifi access and blocking unwanted and inappropriate websites on guest wi-fi.
I'm delighted you found that to be the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us a good review. It's hugely appreciated

Kind regards,
Dryden
Dryden Geary,
Marketing Director,
TitanHQ

David R.

Appliance on site, we'll celebrate the 74.000.000 message processed in few days...

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

A clean mailbox each morning, a dailly report with potential false positive, a lot of rules, a lot of settings to avoid spending hours sorting your mail...

Pros

- Great GUI,
- a lot of features to earn time and reduce load on mail server,
- Excellent feedback from users,
- tons of spam removed without any action.
- reactive helpdesk
- Remote assistance if required (through tunnel SSH)

Cons

No cons about the software,
pricing could seems expensive, it's not if you check the dailly time you do not spend ...

Daniel V.

Good & cost effective solution to manage & control your WEB internal users access including monitor

Reviewed on 2018/02/12

WEB filtering & content management

Pros

Easy to administer , setup group and tailor WEB access to our corporate WEB user , do have good reporting tools and some protect ion where our users base can go on the internet.

Cons

This software could benefit if it add option to restrict & control apps that can run on the internal network. This would offer better protection again malware that usually kick of an small application or script to download their malware payload

Todd R.

I am liking it a lot better than Umbrella by Cisco, which we were previously using.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

It is already saving me a lot of time.

Pros

The simple interface is the best feature. When Cisco bought OpenDNS, they revamped the UI to make it look "modern", but they also made it a lot slower to use and find the info you need. With WebTitan, I am finding that I can log in, quickly look for blocked users, check their individual traffic, and get out in less than 5 minutes. With Umbrella (formerly known as OpenDNS), I just wasn't even bothering to look at traffic because the experience was frustrating. Now with WebTitan, I am finding that I am using it daily again because it is quick and easy to use and doesn't make me feel like I am fighting with the UI.

Cons

The only minor complaint I have so far is that I wish the Reporting tab had an option to consolidate hits by domain name. When I am looking at traffic for a single user, it would be very helpful to just click that and see 1 line per domain that they visited rather than a separate line per hit to that domain. I know I can probably write a macro to do it in the CSV file, but being able to do this in the web UI would be amazing.

Daniel B.

Better than I expected.

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

This is a great product and solution 10/10.

Pros

Very simple setup, migrating clients from the old service was extremely quick and on boarding of new clients is just as quick.
The reporting features are easier to configure and the information is presented in a much better format.
Content filtering includes the ability to block ad domains, granted this doesn't catch every ad site but enough that it makes a difference.
The best part is the free support. Tickets can be opened by a phone call or through a web portal. I've gotten rapid responses and quick resolutions to any request I've made.

Cons

I've really been racking my brain on this one and I can't thing of anything I, my company, or my clients dislike about this solution.

Dalton J.

I needed a spam filtering service for our nonprofit's website.

Reviewed on 2018/02/13

Pros

The software works behind the scenes, allows me to add sites I want blocked, or choose from lists generated daily (as spam comes in), and block them as desired. I also can release or whitelist based upon my desire to see more info from the blocked email.

Cons

Kaspersky has a bad reputation in the USA. I have sent a question to the company about this, but received no response to date.
This software uses their tools to do its work. Also, some emails I want to see come through, and then in the reply thread, an email that has passed to me gets blocked as the original sender replies to me. Then I have to look for it, whitelist it, (sometimes even copy / paste that email address in my approved senders list) to ensure the thread to continue.

Scott W.

Extremely good blocking of spam, a bit hard to use though.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

Very good blocking of spam messages.
Works with any e-mail server setup.
Provides extra layer of protection.

Cons

Difficult to use their web interface, as a lot of the parts don't make sense. No simple method to setup multiple users quickly and easily. But once setup, it's pretty much set it and forget it. Also, you lose 99% of control of incoming messages at your e-mail server. Which may or may not be a bad thing.

WebTitan is a good software, easy to use and configure

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

I think that this is a useful solution.
WebTitan gives security and control of the content of the network. It's good that my company cares about cybersecurity and implemented this solution.

Pros

WebTitan is a good solution for filtering websites.
Configuration is easy, usage is easy.
This product has warning options when the user attempts to access unauthorized websites.
In summary, a useful solution in companies.

Cons

This product does not have as frequent updates as we would expect. I think it would be better if there were more frequent updates. I think it's a necessity in this kind of softwares.

Paul K.

Simply works...

Reviewed on 2018/02/09

The main benefit is having the confidence that the product will perform the needed job without constant attention and/or tinkering.

Pros

Does it's intended functions, Does it very, very well, and requires minimal hands on time from IT staff. Overall, a highly satisfactory product.

Cons

Initial configuration can be a bit time consuming, but that's more due to the nature of the product and function than any deficiency in Web Titan itself.

Out of the box web filtering solution

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Pros

Good real-time reporting
HR can can be given a role to maintain blacklists/white-lists/individual user permissions
Customization - time of day, categories etc
AD integration - reports on the user rather than IP address
Great support

Cons

No viable cloud solution yet to report back based on user (just reports on IP address)
Trouble implementing or upgrading with a complex internal domain

7.0/10

We have been the Spam Filtering and I must say for the money they product performs well.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

Very easy and intuitive web interface. Very simple to set up an HA pair assuming you have the licensing. Support has been very responsive and is able to correct and explain what occurred remotely.

Cons

If an email is caught it in Spam it's sometimes difficult to troubleshoot the root issue. Would like to see the email header and or body after its released out of quarantine.

Keith J.

Overall its been good

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Filtering users from bad websites and ease of usage

Pros

Its easy to use . Web filtering is easy to turn on and off. User imports are simple too. Customer support is been good.

Cons

The reporting part is not nearly as good as Websense product was. Its not even close. . Also we cannot filter individual users for more than 1 ip address to bypass the filtering which is a big pain point for us.

The software works as advertised. It's easy to configure, and requires very little maintenance.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

I like the simple and easy to use interface. It allows for the users to self regulate their spam emails. The option to get an additional email with the list of blocked emails is great.

Cons

My only complaint about the software is there is no ability to label an email as spam within outlook. This option would allow to reduce the spam email even further.

Miguel T.

I use the SpamTitan Cloud. I like it! Low price and powerfull anti spam

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Stop receiving spam!!

Pros

It's very effective
You have a great anti-spam at low cost
License by email is great
Filter rules is easy to use

Cons

Very hard to find my subscription (expiration)
Spam list is slow during daytime
Can't block recipient (If you delete a mailbox, but someone continue to send at this mailbox it count for 1 license)
UI only in english

Steve C.

Lovely web access control tool

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

Webtitan is a truly powerful and feature rich software. Some of its best features include the ease of setting it up, its ability to filter encrypted connections, the ability to filter specific url their fantastic customer support.

Cons

There's a lack of flexibility with the reporting.
Spam pass through occasionally.