SimpleTax

Self Assessment Tax Return Software

Andy C.
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Other for 2+ years

GoSimpleTax: unravelling the complexities of personal taxation

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

Arguably the best feature of this software is not the ease of use or comprehensive nature of the software itself, but the almost immediate feedback I've received from the support team every time I've contacted them. Their professionalism has helped me to understand my finances and taxation better as each year passes.

Pros

I love the manner in which this software calculates my tax liability as each element is entered, which makes it simple to see how things are progressing and when I've made a mistake in entering data.

Cons

Some elements only force a recalculation at the end of the process, such as amalgamated tax codes. Whilst I'm sure there must be good reason for the software to be written in this manner, it doesn't seem to be intuitive to me as a user. If possible I'd like to see these elements moved into the initial setup routine.

Response from GoSimple Software

Thanks for leaving us a great review, Andy! We appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us.

We're glad you're satisfied with the support you have received from the team! - AG

Paul Y.

A few blips

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Not bad but some disappearing data and not clear instructions, missing headings, as mentioned above, did not fill me with confidence.

Pros

The layout and simplicity. Easy to follow.

Cons

Not enough detailed help information and some of it is inaccurate. Names headings to use which don't exist. Couldn't find the log of my personal drawings to edit - they seemed to have disappeared. Not enough clear explanation of what happens on validating the assessment. A user guide would be good with more detail.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Paul,

Thanks for leaving us a review!

We would like to hear more about your experience, so that we can use your valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time. Please could you email [email protected] with any further comments or suggestions you wish to share!

Simple to complete

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

It has significantly speeded up my tax return submission.

Pros

Easy to fill in and leads you into covering all areas such as including associated expenses,. It uses last year's return as aa base, making it much easier to ensure I've covered everything in the same way.

Cons

Handling proportions on holiday lettings where there is also personal use was not intuitive.

Neil B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Good product, but frustrating.

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

If you have no idea how to fill in a tax return this is great, and it asks questions to help you reduce your liability.

However, for different reasons the last two years I've needed the help desk to fix bugs / advise why the software is responding as it does. (The help desk is helpful though!)

Pros

It is easy enough to complete the various boxes, once you have learned how to use the software.

Cons

Frankly it is more complex than filling out a tax return. The only reason I do it is because I want to file minister of religion forms on line (so need to use 3rd party software).

Jeremy M.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Feedback Time

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

It was much easier than using the HMRC portal, also the help teams were very responsive when I needed reminding of the way to submit the calculations to the HMRC site.

Overall experience was very good indeed.

Pros

Once you have selected your preferences, it is done and therefore returning to submit a tax return for a second time was as it says on the tin "Simple"

Cons

Only using it once a year it is not obvious what you have to do after you have validated your figures.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the great review. We're glad you had a great experience using GoSimpleTax :)

Rebecca A.
  • Industry: Farming
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

What a relief!!

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

This was my first self assessment and I found it very daunting. GoSimpleTax made the figures very easy to calculate. I had quite a few problems with my UTR and the customer service team were amazing and very patient with me. All the figures on the system were saved and ready to go so when my new UTR was activated with HMRC , it only took minutes to complete my return. Thank you GoSimpleTax!

Pros

The team have been amazing at problem solving for me.

Cons

If I had to find anything negative it would be that the failed submission codes aren't easy to understand so I didn't know what was going wrong but I e mailed the support team and they were able to help

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for a great review.

We're glad you're happy with our support team, I've passed this message on to them :)

In regards to the failed submission codes, I'll pass on your suggestion to the team.

Steven H.

GoSimpleTax

Reviewed on 2019/01/27

Personal tax - used to be done by a tax adviser which was a more opaque and expensive exercise

Pros

Very simple and straightforward to use. Excellent clear feedback on tax liability via the tax computation feature. Feedback on unclaimed tax benefits and any errors is also immensely helpful.

Cons

No problems from my perspective once you have understood how to enter data

Bruce L.

Go Simple Tax

Reviewed on 2019/01/21

As a minister of religion I am unable to make use of the service provided by HMRC.

Pros

I found the software very easy to use and the help feature was indeed helpful.

Cons

I did not find anything to complain about.

Rob B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Really pleased

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

Great. It's changed the pain of my annual tax return to feel more organized and planned.

Pros

The software is user-friendly, intuitive and has helped me to be more organized when it comes to my company finances. Support is there when you need it but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Cons

Everything integrated as I hoped. It's sometimes difficult with new software when it's hard to navigate and doesn't do what it says it would. Not in this case. The software does everything it says is does. Simply.

Liam S.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

First time user - now for life!

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

As a UK landlord living abroad, this made submitting my tax return simple and stress free. Would recommend to anyone!

Pros

Very easy to use, everything laid out for you. Takes the stress out of tax returns!

Cons

Nothing really. I have no complaints right now.

Juliet H.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

SimpleTax Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

The best thing about Go Simple Tax is the customer service. I generally receive replies to my enquiries within the hour, and it's a great comfort. One thing I'd be interested in is a more personalised level of service, whereby I could have access to a dedicated agent who could check over the form prior to filing and advise whether any additional information might be required, or whether there are further benefits I could take advantage of. A sort of remote tax advisor.

Pros

Attractive, uncluttered design with drop down boxes offering suggestions and ideas for what to include on the form. Also occasional suggestions of how to make savings, eg. automatically applying a 'work from home' allowance

Cons

As a UK tax-payer living overseas, I find completing my return very stressful. Perhaps there could be a little more info in some of the pop-up boxes that gives good, clear instructions and examples of what information is required. I'd also like to be able to compare the return I'm working on with those from previous years without having to go in and out of the different returns

Robert C.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Simple by name, simple by nature

Reviewed on 2018/07/04

Pros

Each year gets clearer and easier, for a user who only completes one tax return. However complex the software gets me to the right place and the help desk has always been prompt and solved the problem in one exchange.
I also like the vale for money, but now I am moved into a simpler regime and may not even need to complete the return, this could be my last year. But I'll continue to encourage my wife to use the software - money well spent for ease of use and peace of mind.

Cons

Sometimes the location of information appearing on the visualisation forms at the end is not input until later in the process - as if you are ready to submit. But again, readily explained by the help desk

David F.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Value for money tax software

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

Very good

Pros

It's easy to use, comprehensive, but best of all, excellent value for money. I have reasonably complicated tax affairs, so need something more than the HMRC site.

Cons

Sometimes seems to lose data - possibly my fault.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi David,

Thanks for leaving us a great review. We're glad you thought GoSimpleTax was easy to use!

James C.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Price hikes year on year and a support team that dont care and give you tin can responses

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

poor

Pros

I thought, initially, that it actually made the whole process simple. I later found out I was a fool and that I should be using the free HMRC one. I then find out that the price has hiked again and all the customer support team say is "Over the last 12 months, we have added lots of new features and made software improvements to give you the best possible experience when filing your self-assessment tax return" as if that makes it ok. What are they? I doubt i'll need them. Who asked for them? What a terrible excuse. If I started charging more for making my software better people would stop using it. I will thus be stopping using it

Cons

The support team. The inability to modify a filed return and having to ring HMRC and sit on hold for 40mins anyway.

Jose V.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

cons

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

Technical support was very helpful and provided good guidance

Cons

The section expenses needs something to help me to find the right group for certain items... for example it would be nice to have a tool that has reverse look up:
lets say you have purchase pencils, you click on search... then the tool advice you in the "Computer, Tools & Office equipment>>stationary"

Also the last section right before filling, there are several options to select entering information for some forms and others, but I personally lack of the knowledge and jargon to decide... I think it should provide more info for noobs like me.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Jose,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

We're glad you was satisfied with the support your received.

We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can use our valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time you us GoSimpleTax. Please pop us an email [email protected] with any suggestions you wish to share!

Simon T.
  • Industry: Wireless

Reviewed on 2018/12/01

Pros

Simple and user-friendly for personal tax returns

Cons

Nothing to report

Mark G.

My use of GoSimpleTax

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I file my own taxes in the Republic of Ireland, tempted to do it in the UK too

Pros

Ease of upload to inland revenue service

Cons

Not many tips and some of the sections don’t very well explain what they’re for

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Mark,

Thanks for leaving us a review.

We're sorry to hear that not all sections explain what they're for. Could you please email [email protected],com and our support team can look in to this.

Mahroofdeen O.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

GoSimpleTax is really simple.

Reviewed on 2020/01/31

Very efficient and easy to follow and use - to put it simply, submission and completion was seemless.

Pros

Simple to use, and very clear pages, with clear prompts.

Cons

I really cannot think of anything negative to say about the software, for someone using it for the first time I did not experience any issues whatsoever.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Mahroofdeen,

Thanks for leaving us a great review! We're glad you liked using GoSimpleTax to file your tax return.

Nikhil W.
  • Industry: Media Production

Tax Reviewer

Reviewed on 2019/11/23

Arguably one of the best softwares i have used in the recent times for tax savings

Pros

1) Customer service is very good as we get an hourly reply
2) Easy tax explanations and advise helps in benefitting

Cons

1) Filing returns is stressful and a little more detailed view of this would make my work near to nil

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for taking the team to leave us a review.

It's great to hear you had a good experience with our support team!

Phing phing L.
  • Industry: Accounting

Easy to understand and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

Good but would appreciate if technical guidance can be included apart from referring to the HMRC notes all the time.

Pros

- allows multiple accounts to be created
- value for money
-lay out of tax computation is easy to understand.

Cons

Some of the details did not go onto the tax return i.e address.

Response from GoSimple Software

Hi,

Thanks for leaving us a review!

We're glad you thought GoSimpleTax was easy to understand & use! In regards to your comment, I'll pass this on to the team.

Jen T.
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

One of the better tax return products

Reviewed on 2017/11/16

It enabled me to file my taxes simply and painlessly in a very short time.

Pros

This program makes filing simple and painless- you input basic information and the hard work is done for you

Cons

The cost is somewhat high; also, due to its localization, obtaining live support can be tricky on occasion depending on time of day

Response from GoSimple Software

Dear Jen,

Thank you for your kind review.

Our support team do work longer hours when it comes to the busy tax season to ensure a quick response.

Many thanks,
GoSimpleTax

Michael V.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Excellent Help for Self-employed people with simple accounting needs

Reviewed on 2018/10/19

So far it has helped me reduce my accountancy costs in a bad year for turnover.
Not had a reaction from hmrc yet so I reserve judgement overall

Pros

Simplicity of use
Easy to work out what to put where

Cons

I thought that more support information was required.
Some sort of page navigation that is clear,(A page index?)required.

Response from GoSimple Software

Many thanks for your feedback. We have passed on your comments to the dev and support teams for consideration.

Kind regards

GoSimpleTax Support

• Used Other for Free Trial

GO SIMPLE TAX review

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

Good. Took some of the pain out of completing my tax return.

Pros

It was easy to use and saved me time and effort.

Cons

The suprise at the end that it was going to cost me £36 to use the software. This should have been upfront.

Steve J.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Simple Way to File Your Tax Return

Reviewed on 2018/10/06

In the past I have used a Tax Advisor to submit my Tax Return as a Minister of Religion. However I thought I'd give this a go. The most time consuming part is getting together the required info, but I would have had to do this for the Tax Advisor anyway! the software is intuitive and I found the whole process refreshingly simple. I saved a lot of money too!

Pros

The software is intuitive and proved very easy to navigate.

Cons

I did not find anything that had a problem with.

Louise F.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Not that great

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

No real benefits. Will do this myself on paper next year.

Pros

It eventually did the job - after much confusion.

Cons

Difficult to use, misleading pricing, limited help to complete questions (eg refers user to HMRC notes which dont line up with the GoSimple questions)