Mattermost Reviews

Mattermost

Open source workplace messaging for web, PCs & phones

4.5/5 (73 reviews)
Adam W.

Switched to Mattermost after using Slack extensively, but got sick of the 10000 message limit

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

A platform to discuss issues and feature ideas around our open source project, without cluttering up the threads on github. A great way to stay in touch with devs from all around the world.

Pros

That we can host it ourselves, for one. We used to use the free tier of slack, but quickly discovered that the message limit was causing issues when we needed to recall conversations had in the past. It's been relatively hassle-free in getting it set up, and the whole team love it! One or two of us (myself included) were inspired to brush up on some of our coding skills when we discovered it didn't quite have the integrations that slack did, and as such have learned a lot about how Mattermost is put together, and how to create bots to get the information we need via webhooks. The Mattermost developers and community at large have been very helpful in answering questions when we've come up against issues, and I have even got a couple of my integrations featured on the integrations page of their website!

Cons

Really, not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to be able to sign into multiple slack servers from the mobile app (though, the native app has really come along in leaps and bounds recently). The only thing I miss from the Slack days is a sidebar/widget that tells you the local times of the other users (handy when working with folk from overseas!), though we have recently developed our own slash command to return this information, it would be nice if it was built in to the server. I should probably feed this back to the devs.... ;)

Viorel-cosmin M.

Our day with Mattermost

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

We solve the need to have a Support/Chat/Client support software, with this we have it all in one.
It helped us keep communications across teams and countries painless.
Integrated with all entire ecosystem from Taiga.io to Gitlab for a better DevOps experience.
Overall every chance we had to contribute we toke it, thats why we decided to fully translate mattermost in Romanian language, do we did.
If you need a centralized devops collaborative platform, give it a try!

Pros

One executable binary, simple to upgrade and maintain!
Reliable self hosted alternative to other SaaS PaaS options.
Cross-platform applications ready to use.
Amazing open source community built around the product, friendly and helpful people!

Cons

It requires integration directory to allow users app deployment in mattermost ecosystem with ease.
A bot repository is missing, this can fir next to all others apps and allow users automatic deployments of any apps from the store.
Store idea is not a new concept, and a company that respects themselves should make use of own repository.
Allow users to safely deploy tested and 100% working apps along their Mattermost instance.

Shawn M.

Mostly good, but I do feel it is a slightly lesser experience than some proprietary options.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Control over our hosting and data

Pros

Open source and self hosted, I don't get irritated if slack goes down and I don't have to worry about my data security or my data just being lost of the company goes belly up. This is far and away our primary reason for using this instead of Slack,Hipchat,Cisco, etc.

It doesn't ask anywhere on this survey, but we use it for about 80 people, 60 staff and then various clients and contractors. We don't use many of the enterprise features, we just pay the licensing to support open source.

Cons

iOS and Android Apps are pretty idiocy, they're getting a bit better, but they are easily the worst part and I field lots of complaints about them. I would trade all new features and other fixes for faster and more reliable apps. The web interface is much better, but a bit buggy, nothing serious but little lags and quirks persist longer than I would expect.

The install process is also a bit silly, copy pasting files and such, a provided .deb or a custom apt repository would be 100x better and save me upgrade time and downtime. The lack of this is surprising considering almost all other software I use has this, even when it is free or small.

6.0/10

Make the Most of Mattermost

Reviewed on 2018/12/28

Between communications platforms, voice calls, emails, and texting, there are numerous ways to communicate with colleagues. My company decided to use Mattermost because it helps us avoid clogging up email when we have quick questions to ask or non-essential company-wide messages to send.

Pros

My company has over 200 employees ranging multiple departments (from editorial to strategy to support) and offices. Mattermost helps us stay connected in a quick and efficient way because we can easily connect and disconnect from channels according to our business or personal needs. For example, I am part of a group that connects members of my immediate editorial team and other groups that connect my larger team, my support resources, and strategy team members. It helps me stay organized in my communications, and it's much easier than using email or texting to communicate quickly with people on a daily basis.

Cons

Because my company is relatively large, we have dozens of channels on Mattermost. I sometimes find it difficult to find specific channels that I'm not already a part of, especially if I don't know the precise name of the channel or group. This sometimes ends up being a hindrance to what is typically quick and efficient communication. Nevertheless, I enjoy using Mattermost and would recommend it to other businesses.

Tobias F.

Very intuitive and solid software which is perfect for running a slack replacement on premise.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

A super and ready to use Slack alternative.

Pros

* The replacement of slack
* Mattermost has almost the same features as Slack
* You can host and run your own instance on your own server (For companies which hate clouds) :)
* You have a good overview of logs and you can see what goes around
* The statistics gives a good point when a dev team is productive
* You can easily create unlimited integrations which some internal stuff

Cons

* The lack of integrations (Slack is here over the top)
* The incoming hook limitation of maximum content length is the hell (Mattermost don't inform the customer about a message which was higher above the hard coded message size limit)
* UX in Slack is a little bit better (Slack is massively using websockets and eventstreams to fetch the actual team messages) -> You see always whats going on
* A 'Unread' channel (like in slack) would be a pleasure ;)
* A step by step guide for creating an integration would not bad for not advanced users

Sarah L.

Great Application for Internal Messaging

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Mattermost is fantastic for internal messaging for an office looking to communicate between departments discreetly. The web app is flawless, and the mobile app is useful with some glitches, i.e. force quitting, delayed responses. I would highly recommend Mattermost for those looking for an intuitive instant messaging software suited for professional use.

Pros

Mattermost is customizable and fairly simple to use. There’s essentially no learning curve as it has all the familiar landmarks of instant messaging. I love the ability to create customer emojis which my office lovingly partakes in. It allows us to work efficiently and quietly, while being able to communicate seamlessly between departments. The interface looks clean, and I can’t think of any glitches to date on the web application version.

Cons

I would like a better search feature, and perhaps the ability to search by person rather than just chronological. I use both the web app and the mobile app, and the mobile app can occasionally force quit and delays messages now and then.

Great corporate conversation system

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Mattermost is a great online chat system used in the corporate environment. It has all the standard features of a messaging application like edit and delete the sent message, Gifs, emoticons, create groups, etc. and it also has unique functionality, such as integrating with other platforms, using scripts.

Pros

What I like the most is having a chat platform to use in the company environment. You can communicate with everyone more easily, to exchange ideas and information with agility and using a great platform. In addition to the website you can also use the application for Android and IOS that works super well.

Cons

What I do not like is how to search for old messages. If you need to find a term or phrase, it will bring me the messages chronologically in every conversation. I can not search for something specific to just one conversation (person).

Tim E.

Great user acceptance and ease of use

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

Pros

The interface is pretty much self-explanatory. This is why the user acceptance is quite good. Customizing the interface is straight forward and can be done at user level.
The open source cummunity around Mattermost is really nice and welcoming.
Apps for every operating systems are available and easy to use once manually set up.
Scalability was never a problem with 1000+ users.

Cons

Setting up integrations is more complex than with Slack, where integrations can be installed with one click in the backend. There is an app directory, but the apps need to be set up manually. Once set up, they just work. Incoming webhooks are the only exception; they work out of the box.
Mobile perfomance is gradually getting better, but it's not yet up to Slack's par.
The Windows-app is not yet ready for big scale rollouts via group policies.

Anjali G.

User friendly Software, like it.

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

Pros

I am using this software from last 1year and the experience is amazing.
This software provides great features and it is so user friendly. You get used to it very soon and you will definitely like it.
The channels, individual notifications and maintaining the history of messages and not losing them 2weeks upfront like other communcation channels differs it from other softwares.
Chat options, the emojis all the perfect.
The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth. We used this as major communication channel between offshore and onshore team and we have teamcity integrations for build success/failure messages.
It integrated so well.

Cons

Personally i like it, i don't find any issue with this software. It is just few softwares more overrated and people prefer those. But believe me this one is if you get used to it will never let you switch to some other communication channel.

Athanasios K.

Mattermost is the every day reliable work mule that powers our team's direct communication needs.

Reviewed on 2017/12/20

Pros

It is an easy to use, open-source and free messenger, which can be setup either on-premises or hosted on a cloud platform, while also being docker friendly. Community extensions and plugins, as well as optional commercial enterprise-level support, provide infinite extensibility and flexibility options.

Cons

A few more service integrations, like audio/video conferencing, contacts/calendar sharing, attachments managing, better in-chat previews would be positive moves, although these features are getting improved version by version.

Massimo S.

A more secure slack

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

Mattermost got everyone on our team working together more. Made it way easier to track how a project is going and made it super easy to share files.

Pros

We use mattermost in our office, we work in a highly regulated industry and needed something that could offer more security while making sure we keep our files transferred among one another in our control.

Cons

Very minimal not too like. They are growing their emoji collection, but would like to see some more fun stuff in the program to insert some fun into the mundane work day.

Pierre-paul L.

Awesome.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Like I just said, full and easy auditing of the stack. The API is clean enough to pair with pretty much anything.

Pros

Can be installed on-premise and is open-source. I can secure and audit the software myself and I don't have to trust any external partners.

Cons

Right now I would say : backups. I have not found a good canonical documentation source about backups (and most importantly, how to restore them). It's nice to see Gitlab backing of the project, but I hate the fact that it's bundled together.

David M.

Excellent Hipchat Replacement for On-Prem Enterprise Chat

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

We are very heavy into enterprise chat. We are not allowed to use off-premise (i.e. cloud) hosted solutions for security reasons. When Atlassian decided to sell Hipchat to Slack, that put is in a bit of a bind as Hipchat was essential to our business communication process. With the implementation of Mattermost, I am actually finding that my staff prefer Mattermost to Hipchat.

Pros

I did an evaluation for a replacement for our Hipchat server as Atlassian is phasing out Hipchat for on-site chat. In doing a direct shootout between Mattermost and a competitor, I found Mattermost much easier to install and administer. Mattermost's team has been very responsive in the evaluation process. There are a large number of plugins available to connect other development tools to Mattermost. It's clear it's a product that is getting actively maintained, with new features and functionality coming nicely down the pipeline to the end users.

Cons

The Jira integration is currently not as fully-featured as Hipchat's was. That said, I believe that a better integration is coming down the pipeline. The default video chat/screen share plugin is Zoom. I would prefer having other options.

Easy to use, easy to setup and easy to maintain.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Complete control on our data. We also finally centralized all our communication and standardized it. No more private message, group private message and all that mess.

Lastly, we have couple of our product that are using incoming webhook to push important notifications.

Pros

easy to use
S3 backend
Good support of different databases
Quite easy to configure for the different needs of a company
I love the threaded reply, make it so much easier to follow multiple threads in the same channel.
Mobile notifications are quite useful
Mobile native app was quite welcomed, the previous one wasn't up to standard

Cons

some glitch in the mobile applications
Weird marketing decisions on which feature goes in which package
Can't see how many private channels are present (as the administrator of the server)

The best alternative to Slack and best work messaging app on the market

Review Source

Pros

There are not that many good options for team messaging apps.
Hipchat or Microsoft Teams do not even come close in terms of either functionality or scalability from a slack.
Hipchat,Yammer, Skype were from another generation.
However slack is expensive, and they limit your search history, if you're using their free version.

Mattermost has the exact same functionalities but its code base is totally open so it can be integrated with anything you can think of (even those legacy applications that Slack won't bother with).

Cons

Might take you an hour to deploy.
and if you're not familiar with deploying applications you might have to read the instructions...
But other than that. It's a 10/10.

Pat C.

Great self-hosted alternative to Slack.

Reviewed on 2017/12/20

Pros

Matter most lets you own your own data. Self-host Mattermost means not letting a third-party control what actually matters in a chat open. The open dvevelopment model gives insight into the upcoming relase cycle, see if others have solved integration issues that you may be attempting, file bug reports and follow the progress in fixing or even contributing a fix back yourself.

Cons

Mattermost still has some rough edges regarding their mobile clients. The new native app is definitely better than the previous web-view one though.

Andreas S.

Mattermost is a great tool for business collaboration. Easy, professional, lightweight.

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Finally we managed to bring people together to discuss things in an easy way on the global level. E-mail threads that hurt are ghosts of the past now.

Pros

Open Source community driven.
Very easy to install and maintain.
Very stable.
Easy to integrate.

Cons

Some fancy features might take forever to be implemented.
Lacks some nice to have admin features for large user groups.

Caleb M.

A very low friction transition from less flexible more expensive team chat solutions.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

One place for team communications that Slack/Hipchat users find familiar and everybody else learns easily. Integration with other software in our mostly open source workflow.

Pros

Great integration with as many systems as we want including with SSO and being able to roll our own tweaks when necessary.

Cons

Audio and video integrations are still in beta and a bit rough. My teams pretty much prefer out of band calls for that which detracts from team interactions. Also notifications are a little dicey.

I run my own instance to chat with my friends since long time (40984 messages from ~15 users)

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Better communication and project management, easy notifications and less mail exchange.

Pros

In fact, I enjoy how data are linked by channel and hashtag, to plug it easily to integrate it w/ existent tools.

Cons

Not a lot to say here, native gif integration is missing and more command to activate some sounds or i don't know.

Jiri H.

Complete, reliable and user friendly, also for the administration part.

Reviewed on 2017/12/20

Better team communication, improved efficiency, new communication channel

Pros

New features coming without increasing complexity for the user, the open source DNA, it's capacity to integrate anywhere.

Cons

The mobile app could be faster, and I miss the capacity to paste easily something with more than 4000 characters.

Luc D.

Mattermost just works seamlessly, does the job and more.

Reviewed on 2018/01/03

Pros

The ability of Mattermost to detect that you paste an image URL and display the image without getting out of Mattermost, and the fetching of Oembed/Opengraph/whatever data of URLs, providing summary of pages.
And the extendability with hooks.

Cons

Well, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms. Putting flags on important messages helps not loosing them.

Gavin B.

Amazing enterprise messaging product!

Reviewed on 2019/06/24

Pros

Incredibly easy to use software and ties into all my workflows. Hundreds of integrations, great UI, rich text formatting and Open Source. Love Mattermost!!

Cons

Nothing. Could not be happier with Mattermost and have been using it for over 2 years.

Dalibor K.

Alternative to Slack - opensource

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Opensource alternative to Mattermost. Allows team communication on one place, especially for things that should be in chat-groups-discussions and not in countless emails that are hard to track in multi-user environment.

Pros

It is opensource, it has no limits like Slack and it allows similar experience/functions. It is not easy to set-up but once started it works with no issues on desktops/laptops.

Cons

Android app is not connecting to some servers (all I built). SSL certificate handling is a bit tricky.
Default way of creating users is sending them link (creating user/pass would be a good option).

7.0/10
Renjith P.

Amazing Team Collaboration

Reviewed on 2017/12/26

Pros

So intuitive interface and so less clutter. The teams love mattermost for many things, integrations, easy to use interface, stability of the software.

Cons

1. The ability for anyone to delete a channel.
2. Lack of SAML support for team edition

Jacek S.

Good Open Source alternative for Slack

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Pros

+ Open Source
+ Can be set up for free even for Commercial use
+ Can be hosted on-premise
+ Good community support - Apps and Integrations brings great support to exchange data with external systems for software development teams

Cons

- The interface is not as refined as Slacks's
- Video and audio conferencing is not integral part of the software and requires external integrations