EmailOctopus Reviews

EmailOctopus

Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool.

Brian
Brian
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

KISS for email marketing

Reviewed on 2020/09/01

I use it to send a weekly email to my former ukulele students (300+). I also send out 'tech tips' to authors on a semi-regular basis.

Pros

What I love most about email octopus is the simplicity of it. The interface is minimal by design which doesn't derail me when I just need to get an email out to my lists.

Cons

I would love it if they supported markdown.

Shishira
  • Industry: Publishing

EmailOctopus is the best free and VFM mail service I've found after months of searching!

Reviewed on 2023/04/26

Pros

I love that EO is so easy to set up and use - it took me less than 30 mins to set up my first automation (welcome email to new subs) and prepare my first weekly campaign. The UI was really nice too with the drag and drop builder (for someone like me who has no coding knowledge) and the flexibility to customise the layout even though I'm on a free plan. Also liked how generous EO in the early stages of growth for the user!

Cons

Have not run into any cons, but I would enjoy a more flexible builder UI that could help me standardise fonts and colors for the complete mail and be able to revert to it with a single click if any incorrect formatting exists. Also, pressing backspace to delete a word also deletes the space before that word, which isn't required (it slows down typing speed)

Mailbird, MailerLite and Brevo

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

I was on the free plan and MC no longer offers the benefits of contact count and mail count it did previously. I am yet to scale my business - hopefully it does soon and I can stick around to upgrade within EO in the future

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

UI/UX, good reviews on the internet and generous starter plan (free)
Jan Sigetty
Jan Sigetty

Unfair comparison with Mailchimp

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

I like it, but that's because I found workarounds.

Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and...

I like it, but that's because I found workarounds.

Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and copy/paste the HTML. It works fine that way.

Pros

I moved from MailChimp, because of the price tag. Octopus is way cheaper, but it's still possible to send the same quality emails and that's​ great.

Cons

1. A better interface to make your own template/design. Limitations in fonts, sizes, etc

2. List features are limited. No way to create segments or groups based on subscriber data.

3. Regarding reports: A graphic overview of where the clicks are placed.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. We have some good news on the campaign editor- we've just launched our new drag & drop email builder.

It's only in Beta at the moment, however I've added it to your account and you'll be able to use it in your next campaign.

More updates to come based on your feedback, too.

Thanks again,

Tom

Emily
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Affordable software for creating newsletters

Reviewed on 2023/12/08

EmailOctopus is a great product at an affordable price.

EmailOctopus is a great product at an affordable price.

Pros

EmailOctopus offers high end email marketing tools at a relatively affordable price. We use this software to create newsletters which play a big role in our marketing department.

Cons

At the moment the software works great. Incase I encounter errors I will edit this review.

Kat

This is an amazing tool for individuals and orgs who need email/outreach management on a...

Reviewed on 2023/06/26

The experience has been amazing! It has been transformative for our organization and its outreach.

Pros

This was incredibly easy to adopt and use. Each part of the experience is highly clean and simplified. I highly appreciate how much functionality is included for the introductory prices.

Cons

I just wish I could manually batch add contacts to lists. That is, add multiple contacts without needing to upload a CSV.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Gmail obviously doesn't have everything we need, of course. We were doing everything pretty manually.

Gmail

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Everything had higher price-rates and features we didn't need
Kyle

The most cost effective email solution with no hidden bolt on extras

Reviewed on 2023/09/17

Ace. Pull your CSV files through already and close your mind-numbing, overcharging, 2-audience-limited mail company and make the switch. If you don't like it you're probably a bot.

Pros

straight out of the box, the customer service is top-notch, real people, detailed responses not generic bs, and such an easy user interface you don't have to hunt for hidden features. fast, effective, reporting is top-notch. it takes care of everything without the expense of Mailchimp... actually, it makes Mailchimp look prehistoric in comparison.

Cons

Really nothing has popped up that's been an issue, no extra charges, nothing.

Darko

Features, Pricing, Pros & Cons

Reviewed on 2023/08/24

EmailOctopus offers a clean interface, competitive pricing, and speedy support. It's preferred over competitors and has gained popularity among users since 2016. Despite some feature limitations, it delivers on user-friendliness, making it a valuable choice for email campaign and marketing.

Pros

EmailOctopus is appreciated for its user-friendliness, quality templates, drag-and-drop editor, and strong customer service. Its value is highlighted, along with positive feedback from Capterra and G2 reviews.

Cons

While praised for its ease and value, some users desire improvements in email list segmentation and additional template options.

MailerLite, Moosend, Brevo, Mailchimp and Email Monster

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I chose EmailOctopus over these alternative products simply because of the price, simplicity and quality.
Josephine

Excellent email management platform for small business

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

Pros

I like the ease of use, excellent and very responsive customer service, affordability.

Cons

Some of the email functions are not perfect; for instance, I sometimes have trouble setting the right font size for my email campaigns.

Mike

Everything Most Email Marketers Need at an Unbeatable Price

Reviewed on 2023/07/19

I needed an easier, more reliable platform for various email campaigns, and EmailOctopus delivered.

Pros

EmailOctopus is incredibly easy to use, yet still full-featured enough to fill the needs of most business owners. I appreciate the intuitive backend, handsome emails, and exceptional deliverability EmailOctopus provides in a simple and pleasing package. I've used other industry-leading emailers, but this is the one I enjoy working with the most.

Cons

Can't think of a thing I don't like about EmailOctopus.

David
  • Industry: Photography

Keep it SImple

Reviewed on 2023/08/30

Pros

Email Octopus is the only email program I could connect with. I can do almost anything with any program on a computer. But email marketing has always been overly complicated, in my opinion. I can write copy and set up great graphical design, but email marketing is like this bag of complications that the occasional email marketer doesn't get very proficient in. EmailOctopus simplifies all of this to the point that even if I don't become an expert in email marketing, I can still start and run a campaign and get good feedback on the quality of that email campaign. I like the fact that I can just relax after hitting the send button, and Email Octopus does the rest. For me, I like simplicity. Overly complicated doesn't work for me. Email Octopus is simple.

Cons

I am waiting for AI tools to be incorporated into EmailOctopus. I also think it would be cool if an email audience could be created right within the app.

George

Refreshingly Simple and Straightforward

Reviewed on 2022/11/16

An excellent tool for most email-marketing situations. I've used it on several client sites for letting them build their own newsletters and email lists, and have not had a single complaint about it. If you are looking for a tool to migrate your email list of hundreds of thousands of users to, EmailOctopus probably isn't for you—but if you're an average-sized business or creator, it's really my preferred option now, and much less spammy/convoluted than something like ConvertKit!

Pros

Email Octopus is really a great tool for—in my opinion—80–90% of situations where you need email marketing. For the large part it "just works", and I have no trouble getting my clients to use it, which cannot be said about other similar tools.It's quite easy to make great-looking forms and landing pages, and the WordPress plugin is a joy to use—makes things much easier!

Cons

If it's a great tool for 80–90% of situations, then I have to admit it has some shortcomings for those less-common use cases where you really need something robust and more flexible.Its API documentation is a bit lacking, for example, and while things "just work" for the most part, a consequence of this is that you don't have nearly as much control over precise details as you would with a larger—and admittedly more expensive—tool in this same spce.

ConvertKit, Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

ConvertKit's branding is a bit of a turn off. It's either just...bad (remember that whole weird thing of temporarily being named "Seva"?), or has a very heavy marketer/car-salesman vibe to it.But it was a decent tool for a long time, so worth using.I came across EmailOctopus via its WordPress plugin, and was intrigued by the simplicity and refreshing marketing and design, which felt so much more "normal" and straightforward than e.g. ConvertKit.I started using it one some personal projects, and after loving it, am now using it with some freelance clients. A few of those are switched over from ConvertKit and we're all happier for it.

ConvertKit

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

There are situations where I'd go with a tool with more features and more developer possibilities (i.e. a more fully-fleshed-out, better-documented API with ideally some SDKs ready to go).But EmailOctopus is a great balance of focused feature-set, cost, design quality, and customer support, so it's becoming my go-to!
Jargon

This is the one!

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

10/10

10/10

Pros

EmailOctopus was SOOOOOO easy to use! I love it. I came over discouraged AF from trying MailChimp. Anyone whoever used MailChimp either has a degree in the software or hired someone. It is ridiculously difficult to use and it embeds itself into everything. EmailOctopus is so simple and effective. I got real-time results and I ended up making quite a bit of money emailing old customers. I will definitely be using EmailOctobus from here on out.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't find it sooner.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

MailChimp was too difficult to use

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

EmailOctupus is easy to use and doesn't require much setup. Zero headaches, zero nonsense
Mary

I traded the monkey for an octopus and never looked back.

Reviewed on 2022/10/24

Overall I am thrilled to bits, and I am sure as time goes on that the software is only going to get better and better. I have suggested to many of my clients that they consider Email Octopus for their marketing emails provider.

Pros

I am a solopreneur who is in the process of building her email empire. At the moment, I have an absolutely tiny email list. I was really struggling to find a company that could meet my needs as someone just getting started. So many other providers were so expensive that I could not justify the cost of the program. Email Octopus is a company that will grow with me - and won't break my budget once I get to where I want to be. Building emails is simple - it works just like other drag-n-drop email builders, but the difference is that it is somehow even easier to use. The landing page builder is also simple and functional. The couple of interactions I have had with the Email Octopus team have been overwhelmingly positive.

Cons

Audience segmentation leaves some things to be desired. While Email Octopus is on par with Constant Contact and Flodesk in terms of segmentation, they don't have as many customization options as MailChimp. This isn't a problem for me right now at this stage, but it is something that I am a little worried about for the future.

Flodesk, Constant Contact and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Price, ease of use, and the fact that they can grow with me.
Zoie
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I feel like I'm part of the family!

Reviewed on 2023/08/20

EmailOctopus provides a great product at a fantastic price. I feel confident that they have my back at every step, as I grow my list!

Pros

I have to admit that it was the Free Plan that first got my attention, but it's been the really great customer support that has totally sold me on EmailOctopus. Everyone is so friendly and prompt with their responses to even some of my "newbie" questions. I also really like how easy and intuitive everything is set up. IIt was so quick and easy to get started and I've made some beautiful web forms that I love.

Cons

At this time, because my list is small, I don't have any Cons.

Jasmine
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

The Best Software I’ve used

Reviewed on 2022/10/26

Pros

The interface is easy to use and the email sending is easy to access. Unlike other email platforms I’ve tried, I love that there is a minimum amount of subscribers you must have before you must buy the paid plan. Nothing is complicated about this. It’s a great tool.

Cons

I wish there was a mobile app but other than that, nothing is wrong with it.

Jean

Perfect for what I need

Reviewed on 2023/06/10

I've been really happy with Email Octopus. I have a small list for a very small business, and I love that there are different tiers so that the program an grow with me as my business grows.

Pros

I'm just starting out with my newsletter and have a lot to learn, but Email Octopus makes it so easy and fast. I love being able to schedule newletters in advance and to segment users for different messaging.

Cons

I didn't like that I couldn't automate more than one first-time newsletter, but I think there have been some recent developments that I now need to explore.

MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Honestly, the logo. If I recall correctly, the pricing was pretty similar at the time, and while the others might have had some functionality that EmailOctopus didn't at the time, it had pretty much everything I figured I needed just then and I really love the logo.
  • Used for 1+ year

Simple mailing lists

Reviewed on 2021/06/11

I don't think I've ever had a better experience integrating with an API than with EmailOctopus. Their email support is also one of the best I've ever dealt with.

Pros

I like how quickly I was able to set it up. I also frequently give their API documentation as an example of a perfectly written document. While composing a new campaign, the UI doesn't get in the way and I'm able to just get down to work.

Cons

I couldn't figure out a way to "merge" multiple user lists, or send a campaign to users from multiple different lists at once.

Nessma
  • Industry: Publishing

A good option if you're starting out

Reviewed on 2022/06/22

It's a nice provider is you're starting up and don't have many subscribers; less than 2500. The templates are very convenient and attractive to use. Tagging and segmentation got better better over the time. However, opening rate is still concerning due to inefficient CAN Spam that leads to identifying emails sent from EmailOctopus as spam instead of landing in the receiver's inbox folder.

Pros

When I started using EmailOctopus, the first feature that attracted me to their service was their templates. There is a good variety to choose from. The designs are nice and not boring like most of the presets that come with mailers. It was easy to use to send weekly newsletters.

Cons

I faced two problems when I used EmailOctopus. One, the open rate was dismal compared to other mailing services due to spam complaints. Most of the emails were either sent to spam or blocked. It caused delivery issues that eventually made me use a different mailer.
Two, list management. I wasn't able to import subscribers easily, segment or segregate or have a lead page to gather subscribers.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Nessma,

Thanks for taking the time to review. I'm glad to say EmailOctopus does completely support imports of subscribers, along with segmentation and segregation. We also have a range of landing pages within EmailOctopus so you can grow your list, for free, easier than ever.

We'd love you to have a go at using these, so please reach out to our Support team who will gladly point you in the right direction to start.

Maisarah
Maisarah
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Simple and cheap for a email marketing manager software

Reviewed on 2021/06/14

Pros

EmailOctopus provides a dependable platform at a reasonable price, with exceptional customer service. Questions are swiftly and thoroughly answered. The platform is simple to use and offers a wide range of options that i have use to write our newsletter and email marketing content.

Cons

I'd want to see the email builder drag and drop functionality enhanced. It works okay, and the emails are attractive, but it isn't as polished as some other newsletter builder software that I have used. The email template should be more customizable and easy to add a design into it.

John
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Highly Recommenr Email Octopus

Reviewed on 2023/04/24

It's really great, very easy to use and has all the capabilities I need.

It's really great, very easy to use and has all the capabilities I need.

Pros

The pricing! I had previously used MailChimp, but as my list grew it became way too expensive. The Email Octopus plan is much more economical, and it has most of the same features as MailChimp.

Cons

Having a cut and past list import function is something I miss that MailChimp had, but that is a minor quibble.

Constant Contact

MailChimp got too expensive

Price
Matt

My review

Reviewed on 2023/03/24

I can say that it has been a reliable and easy-to-use software. The drag-and-drop editor and pre-built templates have saved me a lot of time and effort in creating visually appealing emails.

Pros

I've been able to set up automated email sequences to engage with my subscribers, and segment my lists based on their behavior, which has helped me to send more targeted messages.The integration with third-party apps and services has also been a considerable plus for me. I've also used the WordPress integration to add sign-up forms to my website and grow my subscriber list.

Cons

I've found the analytics to be somewhat basic, and I would like to have more advanced features such as A/B testing. Additionally, customer support can be slow to respond at times.

Happy customer for over two years.

Reviewed on 2022/10/25

Overall, the experience with EmailOctopus has been largely positive.

Overall, the experience with EmailOctopus has been largely positive.

Pros

EmailOctopus looks easy at first, but I will highly encourage anyone to look into the API for more serious use cases. Depending on your mileage, it may take you longer to integrate, but if you have worked with competitors, it only should take you a few hours at most to build a fully integrated flow with the API.

Cons

The editor is a little finicky at times and the documentation for power users could be made more visible. I would also expect better support for managing multiple accounts at this price point.

SendGrid and Mailchimp

The Octopus is cuter.
Alex

5/5 Definitely Recommend

Reviewed on 2023/06/11

Pros

What got me into using EmailOctopus was initially the low fee. Compared to similar products/services, EmailOctopus is the cheapest. Since I've incorporated the tool into my business, I have been very happy. The ease of use and the smooth setup with other tools such as Zapier and GravityForms makes this a no-brainer. Additionally, customer service is fast to reply and helpful. I highly recommend EmailOctopus!

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons. The UI/UX is smooth and there are how-to guides for everything.

Constant Contact and Mailchimp

The cost.

Sheila
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Email Octopus makes it designing and sending emails easy and affordable

Reviewed on 2021/03/01

I'm getting more emails out and having more interaction with my customers. With the algorithms on social media changing daily, being able to consistently connect with my customers through email marketing is so important.

Pros

Email Octopus is so much easier to use that other email marketing products. The templates are simple and impactful, making sending new email campaigns an absolute breeze instead of a full-time job.

Cons

The only thing I would suggest is that email octopus develop an app for mobile users. That would make it even easier to use!

Ruben
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Small but perfectly formed

Reviewed on 2023/09/22

A great platform for email marketing and it seems like it will only get better.

A great platform for email marketing and it seems like it will only get better.

Pros

EmailOctopus is a simple platform which does email very well. The practical ease of use is unmatched by competitors in my experience - especially at the price.

Cons

In some areas it would be nice to have a few more features such as around media library management and historical reporting of email performance by date range or tags. Also reporting on subscriber engagement in more detail with flexible reporting would be nice along with a few additional capabilities around link tracking. These are all optional though, and what EmailOctopus does it does very well.