Fons

Scheduling & payment software for appointment-based business

Ruth B.

Life... simplified

Reviewed on 2018/08/13

I've invested time into getting my Fons account set up and running... but now, it's ready to run. Less time at the bank, less awkward money talks with clients. More of doing what I love.

That's what Fons is for me, and the peace of mind and professional front it gives my business is worth 5 times what they're charging.

Pros

What I love most about fons is that my clients love it. It's easy and straightforward for them, and looks super professional.

For me, Fons has given me so much more peace of mind. Happier clients=happier me.

Cons

I have run into a few bumps, but there's a great support team that will stick with you and help you figure everything out. Most of my minor problems come from me not being able to see what my clients see. When they run into problems, it's more difficult to resolve the issue.

Response from Fons

Hey Ruth, thanks for the review! So glad to have you as a part of our Fons family! Since, reading your review we have added some videos to our help center, so you can at least see what their signup and appointment scheduling & confirmation looks like. We are always looking to improve, so if you have anything in-particular you would like to see for your clients just let us know:) Also, have them reach out to us because they have the benefit of the same great support as you and if it something we think may be helpful to you from your clients we will pass it along to you as well.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

solid company, still optimizing their product

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

After reviewing several scheduling options, this one did not make the cut due to low integration options and lack of 2-way google sync.

Pros

It's always refreshing to see a scheduling service that acknowledges coaches. The client and program management features are particularly helpful. It's great to be able to invoice clients up front for services, and streamline and automate things such as cancellation policies and billing. Very intuitive and easy.

Cons

Doesn't offer the level of customization available from some similarly priced services. Fees are somewhat higher than other services. However, the biggest issue is 2-way sync with google calendar.

Response from Fons

Hey there! Thanks so much for the review and the feedback. It sounds like the big feature you are wanting is integrations with other services. We'll be offering a robust suite of integrations very soon! We opted to hold off on integrations until we pinpointed exactly how our platform would best serve our customers, and could identify which integrations would be most beneficial. We'll hope to chat with you again in the near future!

Jerry B.

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

Pros

I've been a private tennis instructor for over 20 years. I teach 25-30 hours of private and group lessons per week and typically spend 10-15 hours scheduling, rescheduling, tracking down checks and depositing them into the bank. I've tried a number of different scheduling apps (Mind Body and others) as well as a combination of google cal and fresh books to help with efficiency. I've found these platforms to be either super clunky, cost too much or just flat out sucked. I started using Fons a few months ago and at first it seemed too good to be true. From the moment I signed up the customer service team was there and has been incredibly responsive. I'm not very tech savvy but it has been so easy to use and all my students love it. It basically combines scheduling, billing and payments into one easy program. Now that all my students have converted over to Fons I spend less than an hour on administrative time per week.

Carol P.

excellent resource for independent contractors!

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

i really love how seamless this is to use. the interface is simple, the navigation is intuitive, and it doesn't have anything extraneous that i don't need. I like that i can make my own hours and that everything has to be approved.

Cons

i think i would like a way to mass schedule or cancel my appointments. i see why it's handy to have it one at a time, but i also know that blocking out availability for weeks or months is something i would definitely use. I also want to have the option to make sure my appointments get scheduled back to back, instead of whenever they want.

Response from Fons

Carol, wow we just talked about having a way to have appointment availability to recalculate back to back, stay tuned that may get released sooner rather than later. I added you to the other feature request card.

Jonathan B.

Great Scheduling tool & platform

Reviewed on 2019/09/08

We have been using Fons for several months in our music related businesses, it's been a great experience so far, keep it going !

Pros

We love how easy it was to set up, the interface is easy to use, there are several possibilities of automating and integrating the key functionalities, and the pricing is reasonable.

Cons

I don't think there is anything specific we disliked about Fons, it's a great service overall and happy to keep using this in our business!

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for your review., and we're so glad that you're enjoying Fons. Feel free to keep us posted if & when you come across something that could use improvement, or if you think of a feature you could use! So much of our design is coming straight from our users. We appreciate you big time.!

Lindsay R.

Fons Is Great!

Reviewed on 2020/05/15

Pros

My school is new to Fons and we are continually impressed with the level of customer service. We have received absolutely top-notch service from the moment we became a prospective client and throughout the onboarding process. Their rapid-fire response team addresses issues quickly, honestly, and is constantly showing proof of ongoing product innovation. We are looking forward to a lasting working relationship with Fons. Bravo!

Cons

limitations in reporting and attendance records

Jack P.
  • Industry: Design

completely streamlined my payment process

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

Pros

Before my instructor started using Fons I paid by check every week. I often forget to bring it or would lose track of previous weeks payments. When my instructor switched to using Fons for lesson payments the whole process became a million times easier and there was never any confusion or lost checks! Additionally, being able to schedule and cancel through the app has made things so much easier for both me and my teacher.

Cons

To be honest I haven't encountered any problems with the app yet. I'm sure I haven't explored all the features it has to offer yet but so far so good!

Tony P.
  • Industry: Music

Beautiful and easy to use!

Reviewed on 2019/02/02

Pros

The customer service and support is outstanding. There are a variety of options to accommodate how you want to bill your clients, and it’s a breeze to set up!

Cons

The processing fees are slightly higher than some alternative solutions. However, this is more than made up for by the overall experience for both clients and providers.

Response from Fons

Hey there Tony! Thank you so much for this review. We are so glad you're loving Fons. Also, we heard our customers loud & clear regarding processing fees. Since you wrote this review., we've lowered cc processing fees to 2.9%. This puts us on parity with all of the major card processors while still offering the awesome benefits of using Fons. Thanks again for writing!

Reed W.

User since the beginning

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Pros

Makes lesson scheduling and payment a breeze. Love the layout and look of the app. My instructor also says it cuts down on hours of billing

Cons

Not too many complaints. Sometimes I have issues signing in I guess. The app is quite user friendly.

Sarah J.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Absolutely love this app! It's easy to use and sign up for customers

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

I am able to easily manage my son's appointments with his guitar teacher. It's easy to cancel appointments, and auto-payment makes my life easier as a parent.

Cons

I love it. I have zero complaints. The app is easy to use for scheduling and payment what else do you need?

Catherine W.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Great for organizing my business

Reviewed on 2020/11/07

It’s great to be able to have clients pay with credit card. Also great to have the additional support that Fons offers.

Pros

Helped me organize my schedule and finances.

Cons

I don’t have enough private students not related to other music schools to make it worth the cost.

Diane W.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

very easy way to schedule lessons

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Pros

It's so easy. See open slots, check your calendar, make a reservation for a spot, and then get an email confirming that you have it. Easy to cancel too. I love the grid calendar indicating open spots.

Cons

nothing really. It seems very easy to use.

Morgan R.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Fonstastic !!

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

I most appreciated the ease of use and the extra capabilities this software provides. As someone who specializes in Operations Excellence, having this software has made my operations even more excellent.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, they continue you to add updates wherever they are lacking which is very helpful!

Dawn M.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Elegant and intuitive!

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

Customer support, professional design, reasonable fees, everything is seamless, reduces admin time significantly

Cons

It's difficult to convince some clients to trust a system that saves billing information and charges them if they don't come to scheduled appointments. ( this is my policy, And it's much easier to enforce with this system)

Hannah P.

Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

My overall experience with fons has been relatively good. The customer service has been helpful with all of my issues and there are definitely some wonderful benefits with Fons, but there are some issues with layout that could use improvement.

Pros

I have had excellent customer service experiences with Fons. It is also wonderful to have a scheduling app where clients can schedule and pay for their appointments and include the option to purchase in bulk!

Cons

This software is a bit complicated to use at times. It is hard to find how to do certain things, and there needs to be more direct options for certain actions. Sites like these should be laid out in the easiest manner for the simplest laymen to use. It would also help to have an option for a business policy to be read by clients before scheduling appointments and when appointments are being confirmed so that the policy is fresh in their minds and for liability purposes.

Response from Fons

Hey there Hannah! Thank you so much for your review and this feedback. We want to make Fons as simple as possible to use for anyone, regardless of their comfort with using new technologies. Please let our team know if there are any particular areas you'd like to see improve or explained better. Fons is a powerful platform nestled into minimal design., and we make updates each week to try and improve the user experience. We are guided by our customers' needs and feedback. Thanks for sharing yours!

Rob H.
  • Industry: Music

I no longer dread billing my students.

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

I love teaching guitar, but I hate the tedious administrivia part of running your own business, and until recently the worst part was scheduling and billing my students. I tracked their lessons with pencil and paper, and used email to schedule and bill. Looking back on it, the whole process was incredibly inefficient and prone to miscommunication and mistakes. Now my calendar is synced with my students, and the billing happens behind the scenes.

When I first signed up with Fons I think it had just opened for business, and I'd occasionally encounter bugs. Their customer service is AMAZING. Like, "how do you stay in business with this level of service?" amazing. Not only did they genuinely care if I had a problem, often things I reported got fixed within a few days. The app now feels solid and I recommend it without reservation.

Pros

Not spending six hours at the start of every month calculating and emailing invoices to each of my students.

Cons

A minor gripe: I'd like to have access to a record of each email Fons sends on my behalf.

Xavier S.

Appointment based business automated

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

Every time something has been wrong or I have had a question the team is always there to answer and they are real people, which is really cool. It is just smooth to see my money come into my bank account without having to deposit a bunch of checks.

Pros

I like how people can pay me through it via a couple of ways. Monthly subscription, a package or by appointment. Fons keeps track of how many appointments you have had with that client and leaves the guessing game of how long was each one and how many in the past, because they keep track of all of that. Just a way to just focus on what you want rather than keeping track of payments.

Cons

I think I would like to be able to enter more of my clients information, specially if they have more than one kid, I would like to enter that information myself because parents are a little lazy doing this.

Response from Fons

Hey there Xavier. Thank you so much for this review! We are so happy to hear that you're enjoying Fons. More importantly, we appreciate your feedback on what you'd like to see. We're working on a way for you to add more client information yourself, it's a great idea. Thanks again!

Lenny S.

Best Software - Amazing People

Reviewed on 2020/07/31

Easy, affordable, all-in-one software that has an incredible community of people using it and helping each other.

Pros

It handled all my needs and the support is world-class

Cons

I have no dislikes and have already seen the constant improvement of applications by the Fons team

Response from Fons

Lenny, thank you so much for the kind words. It's been great getting to know you and seeing the awesome work that you're doing!

Pieter D.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2020/03/08

Before Fons I had to trudge through tracking Billing. Now Fons does it all. This gives more time and energy to do what I enjoy which is working with my students.

Pros

Fons has been a game changer for my educational consulting tutoring service.

Cons

There was a period when I ran into a couple problems. It was user error but their customer support was excellent. Then they added a new feature to prevent this error from happening in the future. Amazing!

Shannon N.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Fons has made scheduling so easy

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

Pros

We use Fons software for scheduling our son's music lessons. It has really streamlined both scheduling and payment for us. Before, we'd have to remember to bring a check in to each lesson, and any time we'd want to adjust or cancel lesson times, we'd have to try to get in touch with his teacher with a phone call/email, etc. and there was back and forth about what other times could work.Now payment is automatically taken care of, and scheduling changes happen directly through the app. I can see the calendar of possible lesson times, and his teacher can approve of them directly.

Cons

Credit card transaction fees seem a little high

Response from Fons

Thanks Shannon, for the awesome review! Unfortunately, the credit card fees are from our processor, but as the client you shouldn't have any fees, if you see something different please let us know.

We are busy improving the client-side for an even better experience! If you have any ideas we would love the feedback:)

C. r. ryan W.
  • Industry: Music

Stop Talking About Money!

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

The timing of my income has stabilized and I've reclaimed time spent worrying about/following up on billing and money stuff.

Pros

I love that once I have a client set up, we never have to talk about money again. Instead we get to talk about (in my case) how they're progressing in their studies, or how their child is doing, or dozens of other topics that have anything beyond a bookkeeping relationship to our work together. Nobody has to remember cash, or a check, or any of that nonsense. It's great!

Cons

Some of the functions are still a little odd, in that sometimes you have to order different types of charges (tuition vs. one-time) to keep things straight with payments, at least at first.

Response from Fons

Thank you so much for this review! So glad to hear that Fons is helping your business, and we look forward to making it better and better! To your note about keeping the different billing methods to keep straight.. totally agree. We chose to support those 3 billing methods since they each have upsides, and all of the allow a provider to eliminate invoicing and automate payments... which is awesome. We've added notes to our design queue to take this feedback to make the billing options clearer to new users! Thank you so much for the feedback. As always, thanks for being part of the fons family, and keep us posted if you need anything else.!

Karin W.

Best Customer Service I've Ever Experienced

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

I'm using them to set up client management and billing for my voice studio.

Pros

If you teach lessons,or provide hourly services of any kind, and need a more streamlined, easy way to manage your schedule and do billing, this is the way to go.

Beyond having a really intuitive user interface, they have some of the best, most personal customer service I've ever seen. Literally, you can video-chat directly with the creators/ developers. It feels more like joining a team/ family than just purchasing a service, and they pay YOU to give you a personal tour of the site when you join.

Cons

I have no complaints. Any additional functionality I'd like, they are already working on.

Katie L.

Fons Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Fons allows me to invest my full energy into teaching my students when we have our lessons, rather that spending time and energy discussing policy and payment. My relationships with families of my students have been greatly improved because of Fons!

Pros

I am a piano teacher, and I love that Fons has eliminated all of the awkward conversations about money and payment with clients. Fons automatically bills clients on a per lesson or monthly subscription basis, it has been really great to not have to keep track of forgetful clients and chase payment. Fon’s customer service is very helpful, friendly and quick.

Cons

While the monthly fee is very low, the processing fees are slightly higher then other comparable services for music teachers. The processing fees are more than worth it for the time I save, and the ease of use of this program!

Eric J.

Game changer

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Before I struggled to keep up with schedule changes, cancelations, fees and accounting overall. Fons has helped immensely. Now I have more time to put into my actual teaching and my art.

Pros

The time and money it saves. It’s like having a full time secretary and account that are on call for you and your students.

Cons

Nothing really. It’s very well thought out and easy to use.

Lisa R.

Just What I Needed

Reviewed on 2019/11/02

I had been monthly invoicing people for piano lessons and often having to ask 3-4 times and suspend lessons in order to get paid. Fons has now taken over all the work for me. I got my time back and no longer have to create monthly invoices. Payments are automatically done so I never have to ask twice for payment, it just shows up. The amount of stress this has taken off of my is tremendous!

Pros

This software is easy to navigate and understand. It solves my problem of creating invoices and hoping that payments come in.

Cons

It has not worked 100% yet. Each month so far I've had to get help with some aspect of my getting payments.