Fons Reviews

Fons

Scheduling & payment software for appointment-based business

4.8/5 (40 reviews)
Brittney T.

Fons Is Life Changing

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

Awesome.. can’t say that enough.

Pros

As a vocal Coach I struggled for YEARS with working out a convenient way to bill people, especially in the event of having to hold students accountable for my 24 hour notice cancellation policy without just losing the student altogether or having an awkward conversation with them. (I am very non-confrontational) Fons has COMPLETELY fixed that for me! I have never heard a complaint for my policy since using Fons and never missed receiving a payment because Fons retrieves it for me. Also never lost students over it. I honestly make $300-$400 from cancellations a month that I would not have been paid prior to using it. Fons is the middle man for me and it makes everything so easy!

Cons

I honestly have no real complaints. Customer service is always asking how to improve the product and they have actually taken and worked with multiple suggestions I’ve given!

Response from Fons

Hey Brittney,

While we do have a ton of great easy to use features, everyone does love the automated cancellation policy. Whoa, $300-$400 a month from cancellations, you are now able to capture, that's amazing! We've had others tell us the same thing, but until you really start adding it up it's hard to imagine it would ever be that much. Great job & glad we could help! Also, thanks for the great review!

¿ Mica ~ Customer Success Team

Allison S.

Time is Money - Fons is Saving me Tons of It!

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

It was a big switch for me, to bring all my clients aboard this system. I knew it would take some time, and there would likely be questions along the way. Let's just say it took significantly less effort than I was expecting. The chat support has been phenomenal. I don't know how they do it, but the Fons team seems to always be ready to answer my questions, no matter what time of day/night. If they didn't quite know the answer instantly, they got back to me ASAP.

Pros

The overall look is simple, clean, and is very user-friendly. Probably 95% of the clients I work with LOVE it, and found it very easy to change over to for payments and scheduling. The other 5% are the ones who generally dislike technology as a whole, and/or find it difficult.

I've especially noted the praise I've received from employing Fons in my business (thanks for making me look good!) from those clients I know work in the tech industry themselves. They have seemed impressed.

Cons

I work with a large variety of clients in a number of ways, and ultimately would love to be able to do just a couple more specific things with different sets of client lists, etc. However, I know Fons is a young company; I've been assured that some of those things are coming down the pike.

Response from Fons

Hey Allison,

Thanks for the great review and glad we made you look so good, so awesome to hear:)

We are loving all of your feedback and great ideas for new feature enhancements and are working on them as quickly as possible, so keep them coming!

¿ Mica ~ Customer Success Team

Ruth B.

Life... simplified

Reviewed on 2018/08/13

I've invested time into getting my Fons account set up and running... but now, it's ready to run. Less time at the bank, less awkward money talks with clients. More of doing what I love.

That's what Fons is for me, and the peace of mind and professional front it gives my business is worth 5 times what they're charging.

Pros

What I love most about fons is that my clients love it. It's easy and straightforward for them, and looks super professional.

For me, Fons has given me so much more peace of mind. Happier clients=happier me.

Cons

I have run into a few bumps, but there's a great support team that will stick with you and help you figure everything out. Most of my minor problems come from me not being able to see what my clients see. When they run into problems, it's more difficult to resolve the issue.

Response from Fons

Hey Ruth, thanks for the review! So glad to have you as a part of our Fons family! Since, reading your review we have added some videos to our help center, so you can at least see what their signup and appointment scheduling & confirmation looks like. We are always looking to improve, so if you have anything in-particular you would like to see for your clients just let us know:) Also, have them reach out to us because they have the benefit of the same great support as you and if it something we think may be helpful to you from your clients we will pass it along to you as well.

Rob H.

I no longer dread billing my students.

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

I love teaching guitar, but I hate the tedious administrivia part of running your own business, and until recently the worst part was scheduling and billing my students. I tracked their lessons with pencil and paper, and used email to schedule and bill. Looking back on it, the whole process was incredibly inefficient and prone to miscommunication and mistakes. Now my calendar is synced with my students, and the billing happens behind the scenes.

When I first signed up with Fons I think it had just opened for business, and I'd occasionally encounter bugs. Their customer service is AMAZING. Like, "how do you stay in business with this level of service?" amazing. Not only did they genuinely care if I had a problem, often things I reported got fixed within a few days. The app now feels solid and I recommend it without reservation.

Pros

Not spending six hours at the start of every month calculating and emailing invoices to each of my students.

Cons

A minor gripe: I'd like to have access to a record of each email Fons sends on my behalf.

solid company, still optimizing their product

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

After reviewing several scheduling options, this one did not make the cut due to low integration options and lack of 2-way google sync.

Pros

It's always refreshing to see a scheduling service that acknowledges coaches. The client and program management features are particularly helpful. It's great to be able to invoice clients up front for services, and streamline and automate things such as cancellation policies and billing. Very intuitive and easy.

Cons

Doesn't offer the level of customization available from some similarly priced services. Fees are somewhat higher than other services. However, the biggest issue is 2-way sync with google calendar.

Response from Fons

Hey there! Thanks so much for the review and the feedback. It sounds like the big feature you are wanting is integrations with other services. We'll be offering a robust suite of integrations very soon! We opted to hold off on integrations until we pinpointed exactly how our platform would best serve our customers, and could identify which integrations would be most beneficial. We'll hope to chat with you again in the near future!

4.0/10
Daniel N.

Fons is incredibly easy to use and makes life easy for me and my clients

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Benefits include: Less headaches, bigger bank account, and more time to focus on making/teaching music.

Pros

First off, the customer support is amazing. Very quick to respond, friendly, and of course helpful. I've been teaching private music lessons and tutoring for almost 10 years, on and off though because of the headaches that come with scheduling miscommunications, chasing payments, etc. Fons takes care of all that without me having to work for an agency that will take a 70% cut. I've never been happier to teach since using Fons.

Cons

I wouldn't consider it a con, but as a user in Canada, I hope that one day there will be alternative payment options for my clients other than credit card.

Jerry B.

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

Pros

I've been a private tennis instructor for over 20 years. I teach 25-30 hours of private and group lessons per week and typically spend 10-15 hours scheduling, rescheduling, tracking down checks and depositing them into the bank. I've tried a number of different scheduling apps (Mind Body and others) as well as a combination of google cal and fresh books to help with efficiency. I've found these platforms to be either super clunky, cost too much or just flat out sucked. I started using Fons a few months ago and at first it seemed too good to be true. From the moment I signed up the customer service team was there and has been incredibly responsive. I'm not very tech savvy but it has been so easy to use and all my students love it. It basically combines scheduling, billing and payments into one easy program. Now that all my students have converted over to Fons I spend less than an hour on administrative time per week.

Samantha B.

Fons customer service feedback

Reviewed on 2018/09/22

I like the quick customer service feedback, but I have two pieces of advice to make the customer service experience better. Sometimes it feels like the team is defensive about bugs, despite this being a new software and therefore understandably prone to bugs. For Fons, it doesn’t seem like the customer is always right. I had a rather negative experience when the CEO responded to my anxiety in an email badly, accusing me of not reading it thoroughly getting impatient when I didn’t understand. I think this is unfair, since I am not a tech person and operating this level of technology for my business has been daunting and stressful, especially since adopting it correctly affects how and when I’ll be paid. As a disability rights activist who is married to someone with a reading disability, the accusation of not reading it correctly came across as rather ableist and condescending. I’d rather keep things professional, which for the customer service side I think means dealing with understandably nervous and anxious clients with grace and kindness. Or not taking their money. Which unfortunately I had already paid for the entire year just before this distressing exchange.

Pros

It’s pretty easy to use, but has a learning curve that can be overwhelming, especially since it’s a new software and there are still bugs being worked out as features are added.

Cons

The high learning curve and how that affected how quickly I’d be paid.

Response from Fons

Hey there Samantha. I am so sorry that any of my correspondences came across as anything other than supportive. My aim was to be as succinct and explanatory as possible. Our team was "all hands on deck" to try to get you up and running as smoothly as possible. That was our intention, and why I jumped in to try and help. I teach and and have worked within the developmentally disabled community, & I feel quite saddened that I represented myself in a way that offended you. We appreciate your willingness to use the platform and we value your feedback. If you decide that you don't want to use Fons for your studio, we'll refund your money and wish you well.

3.0/10
Shannon N.

Fons has made scheduling so easy

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

Pros

We use Fons software for scheduling our son's music lessons. It has really streamlined both scheduling and payment for us. Before, we'd have to remember to bring a check in to each lesson, and any time we'd want to adjust or cancel lesson times, we'd have to try to get in touch with his teacher with a phone call/email, etc. and there was back and forth about what other times could work.Now payment is automatically taken care of, and scheduling changes happen directly through the app. I can see the calendar of possible lesson times, and his teacher can approve of them directly.

Cons

Credit card transaction fees seem a little high

Response from Fons

Thanks Shannon, for the awesome review! Unfortunately, the credit card fees are from our processor, but as the client you shouldn't have any fees, if you see something different please let us know.

We are busy improving the client-side for an even better experience! If you have any ideas we would love the feedback:)

Karin W.

Best Customer Service I've Ever Experienced

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

I'm using them to set up client management and billing for my voice studio.

Pros

If you teach lessons,or provide hourly services of any kind, and need a more streamlined, easy way to manage your schedule and do billing, this is the way to go.

Beyond having a really intuitive user interface, they have some of the best, most personal customer service I've ever seen. Literally, you can video-chat directly with the creators/ developers. It feels more like joining a team/ family than just purchasing a service, and they pay YOU to give you a personal tour of the site when you join.

Cons

I have no complaints. Any additional functionality I'd like, they are already working on.

Steve T.

Love Fons!

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Pros

Automates my scheduling and billing and allows me to focus on teaching. I save tons of time--way less email and accounting, and I don't have to play debt collector. Students in my studio love the flexibility. Support is super fast and responsive. Price is a bargain.

Cons

Some of my clients (mostly with older phones) have trouble with the app. The desktop version is no problem.

Response from Fons

Hey Steve, thanks for the review, as you know we released our new faster app, which works great with old phones now:) We have an article in our help center on downloading.

Katie L.

Fons Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Fons allows me to invest my full energy into teaching my students when we have our lessons, rather that spending time and energy discussing policy and payment. My relationships with families of my students have been greatly improved because of Fons!

Pros

I am a piano teacher, and I love that Fons has eliminated all of the awkward conversations about money and payment with clients. Fons automatically bills clients on a per lesson or monthly subscription basis, it has been really great to not have to keep track of forgetful clients and chase payment. Fon’s customer service is very helpful, friendly and quick.

Cons

While the monthly fee is very low, the processing fees are slightly higher then other comparable services for music teachers. The processing fees are more than worth it for the time I save, and the ease of use of this program!

Jonny A.

Fons has been awesome and it keeps getting better. Makes everything so much easier.

Reviewed on 2018/07/28

Pros

For the most part it works really well and is super easy to use. The Fons team is always ready fix any problems and their support is above and beyond.

Cons

Right now that the bugs have been worked out. I don't have any cons.

Carol P.

excellent resource for independent contractors!

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

i really love how seamless this is to use. the interface is simple, the navigation is intuitive, and it doesn't have anything extraneous that i don't need. I like that i can make my own hours and that everything has to be approved.

Cons

i think i would like a way to mass schedule or cancel my appointments. i see why it's handy to have it one at a time, but i also know that blocking out availability for weeks or months is something i would definitely use. I also want to have the option to make sure my appointments get scheduled back to back, instead of whenever they want.

Response from Fons

Carol, wow we just talked about having a way to have appointment availability to recalculate back to back, stay tuned that may get released sooner rather than later. I added you to the other feature request card.

Brian M.

A great scheduling and payment system for teachers and other professions

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/08/03

Pros

I am a part-time music teacher, but busy a full-time professional musician. Fons has a clear, easy to understand interface and simple scheduling and communication tools for managing my students. Being able to respond to scheduling requests or cancel/reschedule lessons easily from my phone while at a gig or session is very convenient. Having to never discuss payment with students or their parents after the initial setup is really nice, allows the lesson time to be focused on what matters - instruction.

Cons

I have had no major issues or complaints about Fons.

Jerry T.

iROCK Music School

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

Outstanding value for money. The team are so helpful and always professional and patient. They take on board feedback and do great things with it to make the product even better.

Pros

This platform is easy to use and so professional looking. Our clients never miss an appointment and the program just keeps getting better.

Cons

Integrated payment system is so good. Plus the visual layout makes managing your schedule so easy.

Daphne G.

Fantastic and Helpful Fons

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Fons has completely automated by business's billing and scheduling. Parents of clients are happy and have had no issues. Customer support is OUTSTANDING and IMMEDIATE.

Pros

Fons truly automates billing so you don't have to invoice your clients. It makes it easy to send out appointment requests, reschedule them, and the link to my phone calendar is fantastic and updates instantly. The layout is clear and unfussy, and the product does exactly what it says it will do.

Cons

I would like a couple of additional features, which I hear are in the works for the near future. One is the ability to bill a client for a simple fee not connected to a calendar appointment. And the other is to connect to Quickbooks.
That said, this software is doing GREAT things.

Eric J.

Game changer

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Before I struggled to keep up with schedule changes, cancelations, fees and accounting overall. Fons has helped immensely. Now I have more time to put into my actual teaching and my art.

Pros

The time and money it saves. It’s like having a full time secretary and account that are on call for you and your students.

Cons

Nothing really. It’s very well thought out and easy to use.

So easy to set up and get started

Reviewed on 2018/09/16

Pros

I had a friend recommend Fons for my martial arts business. I took a look at the website and knew right away that this was the solution I have been looking for for some time. Fons was so simple to set up. I was able to make an account, set up my calendar, and add 30 students in less than an hour. When I did run into questions, I received a quick response from their support team. Fons is going to save me a ton of headaches- from dealing with payments, setting up classes and privates, to client communication. I am looking forward to the features they are adding in the near future.

Cons

The Fons team are still working on adding functionality.

Peter M.

Perfect marriage of appointment scheduling and invoicing

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Recurring automatic payment based on actual appointment usage is brilliant. Team is extremely responsive and always incorporating feature requests as upgrades to the site. I've only been all-in on this platform for about a month and it's already better than when I joined because they are so quick at building new features. Customer service is stellar.

Pros

Integrates scheduling and payments beautifully, makes it easy to tie payment requests to scheduled appointments. Killer feature for me is the ability to schedule recurring package purchases that are automatically billed when the previous package runs out.

Cons

I wish it had more bookkeeping functionality, more customizable reports, ability to record expenses, etc.

Michael P.

great app!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/08/12

Have had 3 different service providers use the app and love how easy it is to schedule, pay, communicate, etc. Would definitely recommend for small businesses who need scheduling and payment systems.

Pros

super easy to use for customers - intuitive, simple, clean, never have any questions

Cons

no applicable. I'm a customer of the primary users

Response from Fons

Michelle, so awesome to hear from the client-side:) Thanks for the great review! We are working on the client-side experience, so stay tuned for a new release, soon. If you have any ideas of what you would like to see from your side, just let us know.

Jack P.

completely streamlined my payment process

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

Pros

Before my instructor started using Fons I paid by check every week. I often forget to bring it or would lose track of previous weeks payments. When my instructor switched to using Fons for lesson payments the whole process became a million times easier and there was never any confusion or lost checks! Additionally, being able to schedule and cancel through the app has made things so much easier for both me and my teacher.

Cons

To be honest I haven't encountered any problems with the app yet. I'm sure I haven't explored all the features it has to offer yet but so far so good!

Easy to use and work with

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Pros

It's saved me a load of time on my admin and makes it so much easier to organise my schedule. Invoicing is seamless.

Cons

Can't think of anything! The new features have really streamlined the experience and mean I don't have to chase payments.

Sam W.

Amazing, the team and product are in constant improvement.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Pros

I love how adaptive the product can be, but more so, I love how it was built to be a solution to a real problem. And, it is just that.

Cons

No cons! Every con I have had in the past has been dealt with. As previously mentioned, the product is in constant improvement.

Sharissa R.

I LOVE FONS!!!

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Easy to use. Easy for my customers​ to use. Does not get 'buggy.' and not work like other business systems I have used. The price is great.

Pros

Fons's customer service is my favorite feature. I feel like I am being taken care of with the personal attention that I get from them. The system is easy to use.
Fons has made my life much easier. I also love the notifications that I get when
I get a deposit. They take care of PCI compliance for you too.

Cons

No cons. I like everything about the system. I really have no complaints or issues.